Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 pm

It seems that ex-Thai 747-400F, HS-TGH is indeed destined for Aerotranscargo. As wjcandee stated, it arrived in CGK on 2/8/21 for maintenance and prep work prior to entering service. While not stated, it would more than likely be GMF turning the wrenches on her. One can hope for it getting painted too but we shall see. Aerotranscargo's ER-BAG pulled a similar escape from parked solitude as an ex-Thai 747F and continues to wear the Thai livery. (ER-BAG is now leased by Terra Avia from Aerotranscargo)

As for Terra Avia, they are also in the news. They are listed on Skyliner as the proud new operator of ER-BAR, a recently discussed in this thread 747-200F. It seems to no longer be attached to Oscar Jet. It positioned CGK-FRU several days back and looks ready to join the Terra Avia fleet. Again, it was more than likely GMF who prepped this bird maintenance wise. BAR would look to be the first 747 in Terra Avia's fleet that is not leased from Aerotranscargo. It would also grow their fleet to three, which includes 747-400Fs ER-BAC & ER-BAG. ER-BAR would be sole 747-200F in the fleet for now.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm

CX747 wrote:
It seems that ex-Thai 747-400F, HS-TGH is indeed destined for Aerotranscargo. As wjcandee stated, it arrived in CGK on 2/8/21 for maintenance and prep work prior to entering service. While not stated, it would more than likely be GMF turning the wrenches on her. One can hope for it getting painted too but we shall see. Aerotranscargo's ER-BAG pulled a similar escape from parked solitude as an ex-Thai 747F and continues to wear the Thai livery. (ER-BAG is now leased by Terra Avia from Aerotranscargo)

As for Terra Avia, they are also in the news. They are listed on Skyliner as the proud new operator of ER-BAR, a recently discussed in this thread 747-200F. It seems to no longer be attached to Oscar Jet. It positioned CGK-FRU several days back and looks ready to join the Terra Avia fleet. Again, it was more than likely GMF who prepped this bird maintenance wise. BAR would look to be the first 747 in Terra Avia's fleet that is not leased from Aerotranscargo. It would also grow their fleet to three, which includes 747-400Fs ER-BAC & ER-BAG. ER-BAR would be sole 747-200F in the fleet for now.


Correction on the Terra Avia fleet.

Freighters:
747-400F ER-BAG
747-200F ER-BAR

Paxargo:
747-400 ER-BAC
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Skyliner-aviation.de is reporting another aircraft for Aerotranscargo. https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3

HS-TGH, a Thai Airlines 747-400BCF, has been stored in Pattaya since Nov 2015 (you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO"). Nine mos at BKK prior to that following wfu, per Planespotters. She was a Thai passenger aircraft prior to conversion, and only ran as a freighter for a couple of years.

She arrived in CGK yesterday, February 8, 2021, presumably for our friends at GMF AeroAsia to ready for service. Planespotters has her down for TerraAvia, whereas Skyliners shows her for Aerotranscargo. Regardless, yet another interesting bird to follow.

Remarkably few photos of her parked in Pattaya are posted, and none on here. Here's how she looked at NRT shortly before Thai withdrew her from service:


PS Congratulations to gdavis003, who mentioned this aircraft in Post 116 on this thread, when he was doing a survey of the available 744Fs and converted-Fs.


This, folks, is fantastic news. Great to hear. I am sure that the interior of this bird is rather gross to say the least at the moment, but that can be fixed in Jakarta! I'll be interested to see what they do livery wise. I presume that they'll just cover up the purple, unless it's a total mess after sitting in Pattaya for so long. Not sure if they have a paint hangar at CGK to give a full makeover. If it is the purple and white livery of Thai that exits CGK, it will be a nice addition to the rag tag bunch of Aerotranscargo 744s
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Speaking of liveries, looks like Kalitta has a new "special livery." They're adding a painted mask to the nose of N744CK, similarly to what Cargolux did with one of their 747s. Adds a little bit of flair to one of Connie's flying queens.

https://twitter.com/JetTipNet/status/13 ... 20996?s=20
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:27 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
This, folks, is fantastic news. Great to hear. I am sure that the interior of this bird is rather gross to say the least at the moment, but that can be fixed in Jakarta! I'll be interested to see what they do livery wise. I presume that they'll just cover up the purple, unless it's a total mess after sitting in Pattaya for so long. Not sure if they have a paint hangar at CGK to give a full makeover. If it is the purple and white livery of Thai that exits CGK, it will be a nice addition to the rag tag bunch of Aerotranscargo 744s


Right? I was sort of hoping that they'd do with the livery on this one what Terra Avia did with ER-BAG...which is to say basically-nothing:



But it might be too nasty. I guess we'll see!!
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:28 pm

A close call today with a Safari Express Cargo Fokker 27 runway overrun in Somalia while operating a World Food Program flight. The narrative says no damage, however the photo clearly shows a rock wall wedged under the mid fuselage, so we'll see what is actually true. http://avherald.com/h?article=4e2bbd3e&opt=0

Luckily Silverstone Air (who operates into Somalia often) just took delivery of a new (to them) Fokker 50 so hopefully WFP operations won't get sidelined while this F-27 is likely out of service for a bit, and at least capacity in the region can be maintained.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Spacepope wrote:
A close call today with a Safari Express Cargo Fokker 27 runway overrun in Somalia while operating a World Food Program flight. The narrative says no damage, however the photo clearly shows a rock wall wedged under the mid fuselage, so we'll see what is actually true. http://avherald.com/h?article=4e2bbd3e&opt=0

Luckily Silverstone Air (who operates into Somalia often) just took delivery of a new (to them) Fokker 50 so hopefully WFP operations won't get sidelined while this F-27 is likely out of service for a bit, and at least capacity in the region can be maintained.


Seems like quite a dangerous approach and a dangerous runway, according to the comments. Definitely looks like there is more damage than is being said in the narrative. They've had quite a few accidents to say the least . . .
 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:28 pm

We spoke recently about the continuing demand for 737-300/400 P2F conversions. This despite at times coming to a conclusion that the program was winding down. Link below discusses the continued pent up demand for 737-300 & 400 P2Fs with most of the work being done in the United States.

https://cargofacts.com/allposts/busines ... ons/?amp=1
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:30 pm

Our favorite MIA videographer is back. Nice to lay eyes on quite a few of the birds that we talk about in here (Kalitta 733, SkyBus DC8, Cargojet 763, etc.). There was also a quick glimpse of one of the Kalitta 727s hanging out at Commercial Jet while our DC8 taxis by (https://youtu.be/h43X_5YtsDs).
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:34 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Our favorite MIA videographer is back. Nice to lay eyes on quite a few of the birds that we talk about in here (Kalitta 733, SkyBus DC8, Cargojet 763, etc.). There was also a quick glimpse of one of the Kalitta 727s hanging out at Commercial Jet while our DC8 taxis by (https://youtu.be/h43X_5YtsDs).


I'm a big fan of Lepp's videos (no shakycam, good captions) and he occasionally catches some interesting stuff. Quite a few freighters in this one including the Amerijet 763 off to Central America.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:09 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Our favorite MIA videographer is back. Nice to lay eyes on quite a few of the birds that we talk about in here (Kalitta 733, SkyBus DC8, Cargojet 763, etc.). There was also a quick glimpse of one of the Kalitta 727s hanging out at Commercial Jet while our DC8 taxis by (https://youtu.be/h43X_5YtsDs).


Enjoyed it! Agreed with Spacepope about video composition/editing. Besides the fun of our usual suspects and the Convair, I was pleased to see and hear the Rollers on that Eastern 763 (N706KW). Since there's no STC to convert the Rolls-powered 763s, it's presumably a buyers' market in them for folks like Eastern/KMW Leasing.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm

CX747 wrote:
We spoke recently about the continuing demand for 737-300/400 P2F conversions. This despite at times coming to a conclusion that the program was winding down. Link below discusses the continued pent up demand for 737-300 & 400 P2Fs with most of the work being done in the United States.

https://cargofacts.com/allposts/busines ... ons/?amp=1


It's remarkable how much folks pay per year ($555) to access information that is usually broken first on this website (and the threads in which I participate), and then often-not-quite-exactly-perfectly-stated (restated?).

So...SIX MROs? Oh, in "the Americas". Okay, so Commercial Jet in two places, PEMCO, Kelowna in Canada (presumably), Mexicana MRO (possibly). Are they including Stambaugh in there? I'm not really sure they count.

I'm also not sure that taking an aircraft that already has a cargo door in it and pulling the seats out it, making a Combi or QC into a straight freighter really qualifies as a "P2F freighter conversion" in the traditional sense. To me, a P2F conversion suggests something much-more-involved. Not saying it's not an efficient route to a full-freighter, just, as usual, being a little persnickety about the commitment to complete-accuracy that I sometimes miss in these articles.
 
tofen
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:42 pm

CX747 wrote:
Correction on the Terra Avia fleet.

Freighters:
747-400F ER-BAG
747-200F ER-BAR

Paxargo:
747-400 ER-BAC


Do they no longer have their other pax machine, ER-BAE (ex. Virgin - Mustang Sally)? Or where you just listing their cargo machines since we're in the cargo thread?

It will be interesting to see if it's indeed they who have decided to give ER-BAR a new lease of life, or if Skyliner who's been a bit trigger happy after seeing that her reg. matches the Terra fleet. I've seen Skyliner do a couple of mistakes like that before.

It will also be interesting to see if AeroTransCargo are picking up HS-TGH with the intention to operate her themselves, or if they will lease her out to Terra (or maybe someone else).
 
jreeves96
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 pm

bigb wrote:
Small correction, Southern pilot training is also down in Miami. They stay a different hotel from Atlas pilots, but they are down here as well.

Also hopefully you’ll see an attitude change with the brewer pilots who came onboard recently.


Ahhh, I knew the 737 pilots did training down there, didn't know about the 777. Makes sense.
 
jreeves96
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Speaking of liveries, looks like Kalitta has a new "special livery." They're adding a painted mask to the nose of N744CK, similarly to what Cargolux did with one of their 747s. Adds a little bit of flair to one of Connie's flying queens.

https://twitter.com/JetTipNet/status/13 ... 20996?s=20


With the different masks airlines have painted... this might be the worse one. It's just blue.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:52 pm

I was wondering if that ANA 767-300 pax bird that was being returned to lessor was going to end up at ATSG. The answer seems to be "yes", because it will be flying to ILN today. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /PANC/KILN

JA606A. Relatively-young. LN883. Delivered to its one-and-only owner, ANA, in July 2002. Has FADEC engines, which none of the ATI or ABX aircraft have. UPS requires them, so it's also possible that ATSG will pitch this as a conversion to UPS. (Per Planespotters.)

ATSG could also be thinking of using this as a passenger aircraft, for example at Omni.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 am

wjcandee wrote:
I was wondering if that ANA 767-300 pax bird that was being returned to lessor was going to end up at ATSG. The answer seems to be "yes", because it will be flying to ILN today. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /PANC/KILN

JA606A. Relatively-young. LN883. Delivered to its one-and-only owner, ANA, in July 2002. Has FADEC engines, which none of the ATI or ABX aircraft have. UPS requires them, so it's also possible that ATSG will pitch this as a conversion to UPS. (Per Planespotters.)

ATSG could also be thinking of using this as a passenger aircraft, for example at Omni.


Did Omni decide to repair the 763 that had the gear collapse on landing in Romania last year?
The last of the famous international playboys
 
vegasplanes
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:16 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Our favorite MIA videographer is back. Nice to lay eyes on quite a few of the birds that we talk about in here (Kalitta 733, SkyBus DC8, Cargojet 763, etc.). There was also a quick glimpse of one of the Kalitta 727s hanging out at Commercial Jet while our DC8 taxis by (https://youtu.be/h43X_5YtsDs).


Nice video, at 10:35 as the DC8 taxis by one may see the tail of the Omega Air Tanker in the Commercial Jet hangar. Not a cargo jet, but an interesting aircraft none the less (to me).

Great thread and nice to continue the theme of the previous "Peak" thread.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:26 am

wjcandee wrote:
I was wondering if that ANA 767-300 pax bird that was being returned to lessor was going to end up at ATSG. The answer seems to be "yes", because it will be flying to ILN today. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA ... /PANC/KILN

JA606A. Relatively-young. LN883. Delivered to its one-and-only owner, ANA, in July 2002. Has FADEC engines, which none of the ATI or ABX aircraft have. UPS requires them, so it's also possible that ATSG will pitch this as a conversion to UPS. (Per Planespotters.)

ATSG could also be thinking of using this as a passenger aircraft, for example at Omni.


I'm really curious of the economics of Omni versus conversion now - with the mainline carriers with significant excess capacity, does that decrease business and/or margins for Omni charters? Is the conversion market so hot that passenger isn't even a discussion? If I had to guess a 2002 vintage ER from ANA would be hot for conversion.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 am

vegasplanes wrote:
Nice video, at 10:35 as the DC8 taxis by one may see the tail of the Omega Air Tanker in the Commercial Jet hangar. Not a cargo jet, but an interesting aircraft none the less (to me).
Great thread and nice to continue the theme of the previous "Peak" thread.


I'm sure I can say that all of us appreciate your kind words! I actually noticed that Omega bird in the hangar as well. Interesting to see the breadth of work that Commercial Jet does. They are certified to do up to and including a D-check on pretty-much any American or European transport-category aircraft (except the 747, the 787, and the Airbus widebodies). https://www.commercialjet.com/heavy-maintenance

And, like the Porsche dealer, they offer home pick-up and delivery!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:45 am

jbs2886 wrote:
I'm really curious of the economics of Omni versus conversion now - with the mainline carriers with significant excess capacity, does that decrease business and/or margins for Omni charters? Is the conversion market so hot that passenger isn't even a discussion? If I had to guess a 2002 vintage ER from ANA would be hot for conversion.


That's a good observation. Using a plane this young in a low-utilization cargo operation probably wouldn't be too cost-efficient. In an express operation, where the reliability of a young converted frame from ANA might be very-appealing, you might be able to command a premium. Which is why I was thinking UPS. Unless the new Beancounter CEO doesn't think they need any more planes. Hard to know right now, with her "shrink to increased profitability" approach.

Omni does basically military and tour-charter work. Military isn't much affected by Major Airline availability, at least on the long-distance International CRAF segment, because the teaming arrangements by which that work is contracted doesn't give the Majors an opportunity to elbow the charter carriers out anytime they want to -- at least without breaking up the teams, which I don't think they would be inclined to do in the short run. Ad hoc military is highly-driven by world events (i.e. chess pieces that move without us touching them) and the military trajectories of administrations (which move the chess pieces on our side of the board). I do think we'll see some troops moved around a little more in the next few months, but beyond that window, nobody knows. Other military work, including domestic military movements, are routine and planned months in advance, and so is stable. Tour charter work is nearly-dead, although there were a few glimmers a few months ago. I do think that when Omni's particular commercial customers start moving people around again in volume, the Majors will try to elbow in on the action, like they did with cruise work and military rotators around the turn of the century. How successful they are will be hard to predict, although the sense I got from an investor presentation a while back was that the business is expected to come back to Omni.

I didn't do the analysis, but it stands to reason that some of the older Omni passenger aircraft might find their way to conversion, to be replaced by, say, this new-ish, single-owner, quality-maintained, readable-paperwork jet. However, I think your point is well-taken that if a UPS or FedEx was interested in a little more 767-300 metal, this would make a good candidate. Basically anybody who might consider buying a new 767-300F -- because unlike some other conversions, the specs on the factory-F and the converted-F are not materially-different, so you're buying new for reliability and availability, and perhaps for things like what can go in the belly, etc., which IIRC has something to do with why the ATSG leases to UPS were sent to Europe.

(What the Majors did post-2001 was interesting. They had previously-disdained Cruisers and military personnel on leave to a significant degree, such that the military ran numerous rotator flights to overseas destinations, basically a military-and-families-only scheduled operation, and the ships chartered aircraft. That's how one got USA2000, Apple Air, and Carnival Air. When the Majors' regular pax business took a hit, they started marketing available seats at attractive rates, and pitching that everyone should be happier and safer flying on a US Major rather than some unknown charter airline. And the politicians got involved on the military side as well. Force Protection concerns were cast aside, and many more military people started flying commercial. Rotators were dramatically-reduced, and people got used to taking scheduled flights on the majors to their boats. Both types of charter ops still exist to some extent, but way less than once.)
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:53 am

wjcandee wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
I'm really curious of the economics of Omni versus conversion now - with the mainline carriers with significant excess capacity, does that decrease business and/or margins for Omni charters? Is the conversion market so hot that passenger isn't even a discussion? If I had to guess a 2002 vintage ER from ANA would be hot for conversion.


That's a good observation. Using a plane this young in a low-utilization cargo operation probably wouldn't be too cost-efficient. In an express operation, where the reliability of a young converted frame from ANA might be very-appealing, you might be able to command a premium. Which is why I was thinking UPS. Unless the new Beancounter CEO doesn't think they need any more planes. Hard to know right now, with her "shrink to increased profitability" approach.

Omni does basically military and tour-charter work. Military isn't much affected by Major Airline availability, at least on the long-distance International CRAF segment, because the teaming arrangements by which that work is contracted doesn't give the Majors an opportunity to elbow the charter carriers out anytime they want to -- at least without breaking up the teams, which I don't think they would be inclined to do in the short run. Ad hoc military is highly-driven by world events (i.e. chess pieces that move without us touching them) and the military trajectories of administrations (which move the chess pieces on our side of the board). I do think we'll see some troops moved around a little more in the next few months, but beyond that window, nobody knows. Other military work, including domestic military movements, are routine and planned months in advance, and so is stable. Tour charter work is nearly-dead, although there were a few glimmers a few months ago. I do think that when Omni's particular commercial customers start moving people around again in volume, the Majors will try to elbow in on the action, like they did with cruise work and military rotators around the turn of the century. How successful they are will be hard to predict, although the sense I got from an investor presentation a while back was that the business is expected to come back to Omni.

(What the Majors did post-2001 was interesting. They had previously-disdained Cruisers and military personnel on leave to a significant degree, when their regular pax business took a hit, they started marketing


It felt like over the summer/fall there was a spike of DL military flights (I know a bunch from HNL and Europe), but I haven't seen those recently.

Re: UPS, it wouldn't surprise me if a young used conversion was exactly what she wanted, a lot cheaper than new and provides more flexibility due to lower cost.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 am

jbs2886 wrote:
It felt like over the summer/fall there was a spike of DL military flights (I know a bunch from HNL and Europe), but I haven't seen those recently.

Re: UPS, it wouldn't surprise me if a young used conversion was exactly what she wanted, a lot cheaper than new and provides more flexibility due to lower cost.


No question the Majors do do military flights, but they don't have the ability in the short-term to take away that which was contracted to Omni, if that makes sense; that's what I was focused on.

As to UPS, that's a really-good point about what the new CEO might like to see! Let's see if ATSG pitches it that way!
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 am

wjcandee wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
It felt like over the summer/fall there was a spike of DL military flights (I know a bunch from HNL and Europe), but I haven't seen those recently.

Re: UPS, it wouldn't surprise me if a young used conversion was exactly what she wanted, a lot cheaper than new and provides more flexibility due to lower cost.


No question the Majors do do military flights, but they don't have the ability in the short-term to take away that which was contracted to Omni, if that makes sense; that's what I was focused on.

As to UPS, that's a really-good point about what the new CEO might like to see! Let's see if ATSG pitches it that way!


I suppose it all depends on how UPS enjoys the dry lease arrangement. In the past they were perfectly happy to convert their own ex-JAL 763s, at that point the only converted 767s they operated.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:05 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
It felt like over the summer/fall there was a spike of DL military flights (I know a bunch from HNL and Europe), but I haven't seen those recently.

Re: UPS, it wouldn't surprise me if a young used conversion was exactly what she wanted, a lot cheaper than new and provides more flexibility due to lower cost.


No question the Majors do do military flights, but they don't have the ability in the short-term to take away that which was contracted to Omni, if that makes sense; that's what I was focused on.

As to UPS, that's a really-good point about what the new CEO might like to see! Let's see if ATSG pitches it that way!


I suppose it all depends on how UPS enjoys the dry lease arrangement. In the past they were perfectly happy to convert their own ex-JAL 763s, at that point the only converted 767s they operated.


Just to add to the discussion, I'm interested in ANA's retirement - was this planned? Are there more? IIRC, 767s weren't on the accelerated retirement so perhaps this was opportunistic. It looks like only two older non-freighter 767s for ANA (JA604A and JA605A).
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4547
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 am

Hey guys, I've been really enjoying reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Who would have though that'd still be active DC8 and IL62 freighters in 2021? What a time to be alive!


Does anyone know which were the last few 747-400BCF/BDSFs to be converted prior to the COVID induced growth in the main-deck cargo market?

It's great to see those KL and VS 747s get a new lease of life. I hope the ex-BA and QF ones get converted too.


wjcandee wrote:
(you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO").


:rotfl:
First to fly the 787-9
 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:06 am

tofen wrote:
CX747 wrote:
Correction on the Terra Avia fleet.

Freighters:
747-400F ER-BAG
747-200F ER-BAR

Paxargo:
747-400 ER-BAC


Do they no longer have their other pax machine, ER-BAE (ex. Virgin - Mustang Sally)? Or where you just listing their cargo machines since we're in the cargo thread?

It will be interesting to see if it's indeed they who have decided to give ER-BAR a new lease of life, or if Skyliner who's been a bit trigger happy after seeing that her reg. matches the Terra fleet. I've seen Skyliner do a couple of mistakes like that before.

It will also be interesting to see if AeroTransCargo are picking up HS-TGH with the intention to operate her themselves, or if they will lease her out to Terra (or maybe someone else).


All great points. You indeed got me there, as I completely left out ER-BAE. She has been sitting for some time but she still is a part of Terra Avia. In my count, that has Terra Avia sitting at (4) 747s, if ER-BAR does indeed enter their fleet. So the read out should be.

Terra Avia

Passenger:
747-400 ER-BAE Stored at CGK

Paxargo
747-400 ER-BAC Leased from Aerotranscargo

Freighter
747-400F ER-BAG Leased from Aerotranscargo
747-200F ER-BAR Possibe new fleet addition

Of all the aircraft, only ER-BAR is like Aerotranscargo's ER-BBJ...An Upper Crust Society, Factory Made, Nose Loading Freighter.

I haven't been able to see any tea leaves to read on HS-TGH and whether it is brought into the Aerotranscargo fleet or leased out to the likes of Terra Avia. I know Aerotranscargo was looking for additional 747 lift (to buy/own) over the past few months so that is something to think about.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:32 am

jreeves96 wrote:
With the different masks airlines have painted... this might be the worse one. It's just blue.


Knowing the legends of Connie, I have to notice that it also looks like a string-bikini top, or part of one at least.
 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:59 am

zkojq wrote:
Hey guys, I've been really enjoying reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Who would have though that'd still be active DC8 and IL62 freighters in 2021? What a time to be alive!


Does anyone know which were the last few 747-400BCF/BDSFs to be converted prior to the COVID induced growth in the main-deck cargo market?

It's great to see those KL and VS 747s get a new lease of life. I hope the ex-BA and QF ones get converted too.


wjcandee wrote:
(you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO").


:rotfl:


We do have some good call signs. Aerostan=Big Shot...but I feel the swagger than comes with running (2) 747-200Fs in 2021 deserves it!

The last (2) 747-400s that underwent P2F conversion were Asiana's HL7421 & HL7423 in 2017. The VS and KLM birds continue to await their turn. Supposedly another ex-KLM bird is to join the waiting list. We shall see what plays out.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
jreeves96
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:08 am

wjcandee wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:
With the different masks airlines have painted... this might be the worse one. It's just blue.


Knowing the legends of Connie, I have to notice that it also looks like a string-bikini top, or part of one at least.


Son of a gun, I can't unsee it now.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 am

jreeves96 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:
With the different masks airlines have painted... this might be the worse one. It's just blue.


Knowing the legends of Connie, I have to notice that it also looks like a string-bikini top, or part of one at least.


Son of a gun, I can't unsee it now.


HA! I can't stop laughing.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:01 am

CX747 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Hey guys, I've been really enjoying reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Who would have though that'd still be active DC8 and IL62 freighters in 2021? What a time to be alive!


Does anyone know which were the last few 747-400BCF/BDSFs to be converted prior to the COVID induced growth in the main-deck cargo market?

It's great to see those KL and VS 747s get a new lease of life. I hope the ex-BA and QF ones get converted too.


wjcandee wrote:
(you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO").


:rotfl:


We do have some good call signs. Aerostan=Big Shot...but I feel the swagger than comes with running (2) 747-200Fs in 2021 deserves it!

The last (2) 747-400s that underwent P2F conversion were Asiana's HL7421 & HL7423 in 2017. The VS and KLM birds continue to await their turn. Supposedly another ex-KLM bird is to join the waiting list. We shall see what plays out.


Indeed, and those Asiana conversions were only partial since they were already combis. The VS conversion is the first to cut an SCD in a loooooooooong time. Maybe there will be more.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
QF744ER
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:55 am

Believe 744BCF N251KW ex B-HUS is possibly destined for Russia’s Sky Gates.

This aligns with an article I vaguely recall reading last year that they were in the process of leasing a third 747F.
 
QF744ER
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 am

gdavis003 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Skyliner-aviation.de is reporting another aircraft for Aerotranscargo. https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3

HS-TGH, a Thai Airlines 747-400BCF, has been stored in Pattaya since Nov 2015 (you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO"). Nine mos at BKK prior to that following wfu, per Planespotters. She was a Thai passenger aircraft prior to conversion, and only ran as a freighter for a couple of years.

She arrived in CGK yesterday, February 8, 2021, presumably for our friends at GMF AeroAsia to ready for service. Planespotters has her down for TerraAvia, whereas Skyliners shows her for Aerotranscargo. Regardless, yet another interesting bird to follow.

Remarkably few photos of her parked in Pattaya are posted, and none on here. Here's how she looked at NRT shortly before Thai withdrew her from service:


PS Congratulations to gdavis003, who mentioned this aircraft in Post 116 on this thread, when he was doing a survey of the available 744Fs and converted-Fs.


This, folks, is fantastic news. Great to hear. I am sure that the interior of this bird is rather gross to say the least at the moment, but that can be fixed in Jakarta! I'll be interested to see what they do livery wise. I presume that they'll just cover up the purple, unless it's a total mess after sitting in Pattaya for so long. Not sure if they have a paint hangar at CGK to give a full makeover. If it is the purple and white livery of Thai that exits CGK, it will be a nice addition to the rag tag bunch of Aerotranscargo 744s


KLM’s most recent heavy checks on their 744’s was undertaken in CGK, which included painting in their new livery - so yes they can facilitate painting of 744’s. From memory PH-BFT and -BFY were the last 2 done there.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm

TLV, Feb 3th 2021, VQ-BWS, Longtail Aviation, shuttle between Tel Aviv (TLV) and Liege (LGG), in the background ex KLM PH-BFW, waiting for a (light) cargo conversion..
Image

Original uploaded by Alon Russo at facebook, see : https://www.facebook.com/alon.russo
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Good catch, 747Classic!!

As to the question about CGK, GMF AeroAsia does have a paint shop. https://www.gmf-aeroasia.co.id/commercial-aircraft-mro
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Some update for Cargojet 777s, although still unclear where these are coming from or new.

"Two Boeing 777 freighters will be arriving in 2023 with Cargojet having the option to add two more B777s in 2024. The first two of these freighters will be deployed for long haul Asian routes and Emerging South Asian markets strategically integrated with Cargojet’s domestic network and in addition, they will serve and connect seamlessly with select European and South-Central and North American cities."

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/cargojet- ... expansion/
 
A388
Posts: 8054
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:37 pm

CX747 wrote:
Will do.

Our Aerostan 747-200Fs, find themselves in Kyrgyzstan and the old Portugese territory of Macau currently. The -200F of GEO is between Frankfurt and Tblisi. All of those destinations are a long way away from the warm waters of Curacao. ER-BAT and BAR are hit or miss on actual location.


Thanks CX747. Indeed they operate far away from the Caribbean but I remember seeing them flying to Costa Rica and Panama on an occasional charter. Curacao is known as a fuel stop destination for cargo airlines so I really they will consider Curacao as their fuel stop destination :)

A388
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1730
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Would it be possible to add cargo flights of airlines using say, props, 737 cargo jets (all types), even DC-9 jets. an extended look beside the airline we are following?
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper
 
CX747
Posts: 6572
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 am

sunking737 wrote:
Would it be possible to add cargo flights of airlines using say, props, 737 cargo jets (all types), even DC-9 jets. an extended look beside the airline we are following?


Sounds great to me! Watching the Convair take off in the youtube video shared a few posts back was outstanding.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 am

CX747 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Would it be possible to add cargo flights of airlines using say, props, 737 cargo jets (all types), even DC-9 jets. an extended look beside the airline we are following?


Sounds great to me! Watching the Convair take off in the youtube video shared a few posts back was outstanding.


I’m sharing anything from feeders on up. There’s just not a whole lot going on that’s very visible in that segment very often. We aren’t just 747s 24/7, though they are doing some exciting things right now.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
crownvic
Posts: 2796
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:44 am

kind of a strange diversion or rescue flight... UPS MD-11 Raleigh to SDF diverted all the way to KMCO Orlando? looks like the scheduled MD-11 UPS 1329 from KMCO to SDF may be stuck due to a mechanical as it hasn't left yet nearly 2 hours late..
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KRDU/KMCO
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10281
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:14 am

QF744ER wrote:
KLM’s most recent heavy checks on their 744’s was undertaken in CGK, which included painting in their new livery - so yes they can facilitate painting of 744’s. From memory PH-BFT and -BFY were the last 2 done there.


That's a good point! And KLM is (or at least was) a partner in GMF AeroAsia.
 
HPRamper
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:56 am

crownvic wrote:
kind of a strange diversion or rescue flight... UPS MD-11 Raleigh to SDF diverted all the way to KMCO Orlando? looks like the scheduled MD-11 UPS 1329 from KMCO to SDF may be stuck due to a mechanical as it hasn't left yet nearly 2 hours late..
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KRDU/KMCO

A bit out of the way, but with volumes as high as they are, not surprised that was the closest flight with available space. We've had to recover SEA freight with a plane from ONT, these are strange days indeed.
 
jreeves96
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 am

For anybody interested, DHL and UPS are probably gonna take massive delays this morning, 11FEB, out of CVG and SDF. Mother nature decided it was time to make life hell and drop some ice over Kentucky. CVG may have been spared, but SDF should be getting hit with ice. Expected to keep falling until about 9am EST. Just freaking ice.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:42 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
For anybody interested, DHL and UPS are probably gonna take massive delays this morning, 11FEB, out of CVG and SDF. Mother nature decided it was time to make life hell and drop some ice over Kentucky. CVG may have been spared, but SDF should be getting hit with ice. Expected to keep falling until about 9am EST. Just freaking ice.


Looks like MEM got hit too. Average delay of about 2.5 hours there, according to FlightAware.
 
brindabella
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:28 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Skyliner-aviation.de is reporting another aircraft for Aerotranscargo. https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3

HS-TGH, a Thai Airlines 747-400BCF, has been stored in Pattaya since Nov 2015 (you have just NO idea how many thoughts that conjures up, including giving new meaning to Aerotranscargo's callsign "MOLDCARGO"). Nine mos at BKK prior to that following wfu, per Planespotters. She was a Thai passenger aircraft prior to conversion, and only ran as a freighter for a couple of years.

She arrived in CGK yesterday, February 8, 2021, presumably for our friends at GMF AeroAsia to ready for service. Planespotters has her down for TerraAvia, whereas Skyliners shows her for Aerotranscargo. Regardless, yet another interesting bird to follow.

Remarkably few photos of her parked in Pattaya are posted, and none on here. Here's how she looked at NRT shortly before Thai withdrew her from service:


PS Congratulations to gdavis003, who mentioned this aircraft in Post 116 on this thread, when he was doing a survey of the available 744Fs and converted-Fs.


Detouring around the in-jokes ...

Pattaya would be a terrible location to store an aeroplane for 6 years, IMO.

:o

cheers
Billy
 
Speedalive
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:30 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Some update for Cargojet 777s, although still unclear where these are coming from or new.

"Two Boeing 777 freighters will be arriving in 2023 with Cargojet having the option to add two more B777s in 2024. The first two of these freighters will be deployed for long haul Asian routes and Emerging South Asian markets strategically integrated with Cargojet’s domestic network and in addition, they will serve and connect seamlessly with select European and South-Central and North American cities."

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/cargojet- ... expansion/


Cargojet just posted a photo rendering on their LinkedIn..
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cargojet-income-fund_we-welcome-the-b777-er-to-our-freighter-family-activity-6765642906528202752-075C

We welcome the B777-ER to our freighter family, as we expand our routes and international growth. Our focus continues to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations.

Image
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Speedalive wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Some update for Cargojet 777s, although still unclear where these are coming from or new.

"Two Boeing 777 freighters will be arriving in 2023 with Cargojet having the option to add two more B777s in 2024. The first two of these freighters will be deployed for long haul Asian routes and Emerging South Asian markets strategically integrated with Cargojet’s domestic network and in addition, they will serve and connect seamlessly with select European and South-Central and North American cities."

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/cargojet- ... expansion/


Cargojet just posted a photo rendering on their LinkedIn..
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cargojet-income-fund_we-welcome-the-b777-er-to-our-freighter-family-activity-6765642906528202752-075C

We welcome the B777-ER to our freighter family, as we expand our routes and international growth. Our focus continues to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations.

Image


Nice find!

*joke mode on* They're gonna need some really small cans to fit through those freight doors *joke mode off*

This really answers quite a few questions. Cargojet seems to be expanding quite nicely lately.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
Speedalive
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Speedalive wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Some update for Cargojet 777s, although still unclear where these are coming from or new.

"Two Boeing 777 freighters will be arriving in 2023 with Cargojet having the option to add two more B777s in 2024. The first two of these freighters will be deployed for long haul Asian routes and Emerging South Asian markets strategically integrated with Cargojet’s domestic network and in addition, they will serve and connect seamlessly with select European and South-Central and North American cities."

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/cargojet- ... expansion/


Cargojet just posted a photo rendering on their LinkedIn..
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cargojet-income-fund_we-welcome-the-b777-er-to-our-freighter-family-activity-6765642906528202752-075C

We welcome the B777-ER to our freighter family, as we expand our routes and international growth. Our focus continues to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations.

Image


Nice find!

*joke mode on* They're gonna need some really small cans to fit through those freight doors *joke mode off*

This really answers quite a few questions. Cargojet seems to be expanding quite nicely lately.

Lol. Looks like a combi as well with the pax windows at the rear :D Pretty sub-par photoshop, but it's still exciting news!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos