Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747classic

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Spaceship wrote:
According to Planespotters.net, Longtail has two 747-400 freighters in its fleet with another 747 on the way, which is listed as a Combi (747-400M). The two are registered as VQ-BWS and VQ-BWT and listed as leases from UAE-based company Aquiline International.

More interesting is VQ-BZV, also a new addition to the Longtail fleet : ex Virgin "Ruby Tuesday", 747-41R, G-VXLG, since December 03th 2020 at IAI/Bedek for P-F conversion..
The above mentioned addition (not VQ-registered yet) will be ex KLM, 747-406M, PH-BFW, ferried to TLV at Jan 18th 2021 and awaiting a "light" P-F conversion by IAI/Bedek.

So, after VQ-BWS, a RR powered, factory built freighter and VQ-BWT, a PW powered, converted -412BCF, the next two will be GE powered, one -41R(BDSF) and one -406M.
Four (4) 747 freighter configurations and 3 types of engines in one fleet !
What the heck about standarization !!
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Swiss03

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:10 am

747classic wrote:
Spaceship wrote:
According to Planespotters.net, Longtail has two 747-400 freighters in its fleet with another 747 on the way, which is listed as a Combi (747-400M). The two are registered as VQ-BWS and VQ-BWT and listed as leases from UAE-based company Aquiline International.

More interesting is VQ-BZV, also a new addition to the Longtail fleet : ex Virgin "Ruby Tuesday", 747-41R, G-VXLG, since December 03th 2020 at IAI/Bedek for P-F conversion..
The above mentioned addition (not VQ-registered yet) will be ex KLM, 747-406M, PH-BFW, ferried to TLV at Jan 18th 2021 and awaiting a "light" P-F conversion by IAI/Bedek.

So, after VQ-BWS, a RR powered, factory built freighter and VQ-BWT, a PW powered, converted -412BCF, the next two will be GE powered, one -41R(BDSF) and one -406M.
Four (4) 747 freighter configurations and 3 types of engines in one fleet !
What the heck about standarization !!

Would love to see longtail keep at least the basic paint scheme of these two amazing aircraft, The KLM blue and the Scarlett of the VS bird would make for an amazingly colourful addition to the fleet.
While their only 744BCF is in a mostly white affair, there is some hope as the factory freighter does still have the basic CX cargo livery ( albeit with a white tail)

GARUDAROD

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 pm

It appears our favorite DC-8 had an air return this morning to MIA. Local news showing footage of smoke coming from the bottom of the aircraft. Perhaps hot brakes for an overweight landing???
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

Spacepope

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:40 pm

GARUDAROD wrote:
It appears our favorite DC-8 had an air return this morning to MIA. Local news showing footage of smoke coming from the bottom of the aircraft. Perhaps hot brakes for an overweight landing???

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/248910

Hydraulic and brake issues. Burst tire and small fire on landing.
The last of the famous international playboys

GARUDAROD

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:44 pm

GARUDAROD wrote:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/cargo-jet-m ... l-airport/
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

wjcandee

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Sucks. Just when she was getting into a real 2-per-day rhythm.

Spacepope

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:37 pm

National’s N729CA had an apparently serious bird strike in Morocco and is awaiting “several tons of spare parts” to be flown in for repairs. http://avherald.com/h?article=4e4a4318&opt=0

wjcandee

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 pm

Pretty-exciting today to see that our entire gaggle of AeroTransCargo and Terra Avia aircraft were moving again today, including the Paxargo aircraft. Only exception was -BBB. Still, that's a big improvement!

wjcandee

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:49 am

Two good developments: All the ATC and Terra Avia aircraft appear to be moving today, including a flight to Rio by one of them, and this time including -BBB. Seems like things are picking up now that the holiday is over in Asia.

Second, OB-2059-P is back in the air after its incident in MIA two days ago, where they had a disagreement between the flap handle and the flap indicators, then had braking and other issues after dumping fuel and landing. Whatever it was, they patched her up and she's flying again today, Southeast-bound at 33,000 feet over Puerto Rico. From her path, it looks like she's aiming for GEO. Douglas built 'em tough!

CX747

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:56 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Two good developments: All the ATC and Terra Avia aircraft appear to be moving today, including a flight to Rio by one of them, and this time including -BBB. Seems like things are picking up now that the holiday is over in Asia.

Second, OB-2059-P is back in the air after its incident in MIA two days ago, where they had a disagreement between the flap handle and the flap indicators, then had braking and other issues after dumping fuel and landing. Whatever it was, they patched her up and she's flying again today, Southeast-bound at 33,000 feet over Puerto Rico. From her path, it looks like she's aiming for GEO. Douglas built 'em tough!

Glad to see OB-2059-P is back at it. Have always been a "Boeing" guy but Douglas did indeed make them extremely tough. I'm also happy to be back here seeing what has been happening!!! Was slugging away at work and not paying attention to the important things...like this site.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

sunking737

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Douglas was tough, until McDonnell took over...JMHO
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

QF744ER

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 am

Following on from highly respected member VCVSpotter post and images in the SoCal Boneyard thread about ex N27063 which is an ex EVA 744BDSF ex B-16402/N618BC being put back together using components off a recently retired LH 744 yet another 744F looks set to return to the worlds airways....

Planespotters now has 744BDSF N282JM Alta Airlines Holdings/Jet Midwest Group due for delivery to Mesk Air to be registered in the UAE with an A6 rego. This frame started off its life as 9M-MPH with MH.

I find it absolutely incredible that the first mentioned ex EVA frame is being bought back to life as images show it wasn’t even taped up and stored, just left in a derelict state with engines, flaps, undercarriage doors, tail access panels all removed...even the engine pylons were removed on this frame!

CX747

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 pm

QF744ER wrote:
Following on from highly respected member VCVSpotter post and images in the SoCal Boneyard thread about ex N27063 which is an ex EVA 744BDSF ex B-16402/N618BC being put back together using components off a recently retired LH 744 yet another 744F looks set to return to the worlds airways....

Planespotters now has 744BDSF N282JM Alta Airlines Holdings/Jet Midwest Group due for delivery to Mesk Air to be registered in the UAE with an A6 rego. This frame started off its life as 9M-MPH with MH.

I find it absolutely incredible that the first mentioned ex EVA frame is being bought back to life as images show it wasn’t even taped up and stored, just left in a derelict state with engines, flaps, undercarriage doors, tail access panels all removed...even the engine pylons were removed on this frame!

Amazing indeed. As I stated over on the other thread. 3 thought dead 747Fs, the (2) China Airlines factory made and now (1) EVA will all be leaving the clasp of death in the desert. I believe we continue to see this type of resourcefulness as time continues. The pax fleet of the world is not going to snap back and anything that was in fly able condition left the scrap ramp for the skies months back. Interesting to see our earlier game of do you buy a 747-400 and convert or do you buy a ready to go 747-200F playing out before us in real life.

CX has a ton of A350s going to waste. Wonder how many 747-200Fs could be had on a reverse trade in your new jet for a clunker program?!?!?!? Seriously, if you could have 4 747-200Fs on your schedule, instead of 10 Pax A350s for the next 4 years.........
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

CX Flyboy

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm

CX747 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Amazing indeed. As I stated over on the other thread. 3 thought dead 747Fs, the (2) China Airlines factory made and now (1) EVA will all be leaving the clasp of death in the desert. I believe we continue to see this type of resourcefulness as time continues. The pax fleet of the world is not going to snap back and anything that was in fly able condition left the scrap ramp for the skies months back. Interesting to see our earlier game of do you buy a 747-400 and convert or do you buy a ready to go 747-200F playing out before us in real life.

CX has a ton of A350s going to waste. Wonder how many 747-200Fs could be had on a reverse trade in your new jet for a clunker program?!?!?!? Seriously, if you could have 4 747-200Fs on your schedule, instead of 10 Pax A350s for the next 4 years.........

Well, at CX aircrew quarantine restrictions mean that a large part of the 747F fleet is now grounded also!

CX747

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:47 pm

CX Flyboy wrote:
CX747 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Well, at CX aircrew quarantine restrictions mean that a large part of the 747F fleet is now grounded also!

Just when you see daylight, it goes all dark again. Hard to see how the company ever returns to what it was. Parked/slowed 747Fs in the middle of a freight bonanza.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 pm

A second DL MD-88 from BYH is scheduled to head to DHN today for conversion for USA Jet, this one is N966DL: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N96 ... /KBYH/KDHN

CX747

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 am

Our friend EX-47001 has resumed activity. It flew FRU-AKU-FRU on 3/17/21, then shut down again, or went "dark", so at least we know it is operational. Nothing like blasting over Africa/Middle East at 34,000ft, 540kts at 0545 and the TCAS explodes, as a scraggly painted 747 blows by underneath without a peep. EX-47002 was operating out of the warm Middle East (who can blame it, SJH>FRU at this time of year) as a home away from home for a while but now is trekking through India and the former Portugese territory of Macau. P&W powered, Murica right there my friends.

4L-GEN & 4L-GEO of GEO-Sky are just a couple of hard working expat Brit 747-200Fs blowing through Georgia as a whistle stop between Europe and China. Nobody every dreamed they would be hauling freight on the backside of the clock out of CGO, especially when dressed up in the Landor Scheme! Amazing the tempo these two RB-211 powered gents are capable of keeping up. I wouldn't even bid at that place. I'd just say let me stick with 4L-GEO. Such interesting European and Asian destinations which is unlike 4L-GEN, who seems to operate like a robot FRA-TBS-CGO-TBS-FRA-TBS-CGO, well you get the point.

Just to keep everyone on their toes, ER-BAM or ROLL TIDE of lovable, scruffy Aerotranscargo lineage has been up to some interesting sectors. The usual NQZ-China stuff but it blasted out of the center of everything, The Wutang Clan and headed West for Austria a few days back. Smoked the mains at Graz and then took a short inter-European hop up to Brussels.

Any takers on where that ex-EVA 747 out of MHV will head once out of the desert?!?!

In all seriousness though, has anyone checked in with Spacepope? The sight of a 25+ year old 747, with no flaps, or engine pylons, or proper storage prep, being dragged out of the desert is great for my eyes. LEVIATHAN RISE!!! I'm just not sure if there is enough Johnny Walker to cure his disbelief. My friend if we ever meet, first round is on me.

Spacepope

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:07 am

CX747 wrote:
Our friend EX-47001 has resumed activity. It flew FRU-AKU-FRU on 3/17/21, then shut down again, or went "dark", so at least we know it is operational. Nothing like blasting over Africa/Middle East at 34,000ft, 540kts at 0545 and the TCAS explodes, as a scraggly painted 747 blows by underneath without a peep. EX-47002 was operating out of the warm Middle East (who can blame it, SJH>FRU at this time of year) as a home away from home for a while but now is trekking through India and the former Portugese territory of Macau. P&W powered, Murica right there my friends.

4L-GEN & 4L-GEO of GEO-Sky are just a couple of hard working expat Brit 747-200Fs blowing through Georgia as a whistle stop between Europe and China. Nobody every dreamed they would be hauling freight on the backside of the clock out of CGO, especially when dressed up in the Landor Scheme! Amazing the tempo these two RB-211 powered gents are capable of keeping up. I wouldn't even bid at that place. I'd just say let me stick with 4L-GEO. Such interesting European and Asian destinations which is unlike 4L-GEN, who seems to operate like a robot FRA-TBS-CGO-TBS-FRA-TBS-CGO, well you get the point.

Just to keep everyone on their toes, ER-BAM or ROLL TIDE of lovable, scruffy Aerotranscargo lineage has been up to some interesting sectors. The usual NQZ-China stuff but it blasted out of the center of everything, The Wutang Clan and headed West for Austria a few days back. Smoked the mains at Graz and then took a short inter-European hop up to Brussels.

Any takers on where that ex-EVA 747 out of MHV will head once out of the desert?!?!

In all seriousness though, has anyone checked in with Spacepope? The sight of a 25+ year old 747, with no flaps, or engine pylons, or proper storage prep, being dragged out of the desert is great for my eyes. LEVIATHAN RISE!!! I'm just not sure if there is enough Johnny Walker to cure his disbelief. My friend if we ever meet, first round is on me.

I prefer Talisker.

And just because my entire career is graverobbing from long dead giants.... I mean come on! This ex-Eva steed had the pylons stripped off? They are going to leave that Lufty donor bird stripped down like a car parked overnight in Cass Corridor in Detroit.

But I guess all the brains out there are searching for any brawn they can find to get stuff moved. Shipping lead times here are still just stupid long. I drove across Kansas 2 times last week and the state of the wrecks they are dragging around even for the big 2 ground companies... rented and leased tractors, ancient used trailers with paint peeling off with company owned tractors... and that’s just a snapshot of what’s going on worldwide.

CX747

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:25 am

Talisker it is, on my dollar.

I thought the article below gave a good blow by blow of UPS, it's current management and where it stands relative to FEDEX and Amazon.

I'm interested to see how those three play in the cargo VLA arena over the next few years. What will UPS do now that 747 production is winding down? Will FEDEX continue on with the 777F or ask for the 777XF? Will Amazon join the VLA party?

The one thing I will put my money down on though is this. All of them and everyone else wants more 767F cowbell. Used, new, ancient.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/is-ca ... y-paul/amp

Where are they now?

Western Global 747-400
N344KD: Forty FO has been around the world and back again in the last week plus. ORD-ICN-PVG-ANC-ORD. Then a trip across the pond to Mildenhall and Ramstein!!!! Maybe a little 1v1 with a Grim Reaper out of Lakenheath..... Then blasting out of Ramstein Eastbound to ICN. Not to shabby for an EX-"Land of the Rising Sun" 747.

wjcandee

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:39 am

Yeah, Western Global. Just when you thought people were thinking, "Well, if I can't hire a 747, maybe I can get a buttload of stuff on an MD11 and that's a start!" Assuming it makes the trip somewhat-reliably, which WGA was starting to look like it could do. Maybe if it did enough of that, it could improve its desirability and harvest enough business to put the 3 parked MD11s back in the air. And things were looking a little-better reliability-wise after all the birds got a little post-Peak TLC. Everyone who knows line-level folks that work there says they are exceptionally-nice people, so that outcome would be nice for them.

But...

411SN Down. Stuck in ANC for two days on the way back from TNA (China).
412SN Down. In the SHV black hole for 3 weeks.
415JN Up. On FedEx. Active.
512JN Down. Just went to SHV 2 days ago. Hopefully not for long.
513SN Down. Stuck in ANC for two days on the way back from FOC (China).
581JN Up. One of the more-reliable ones. Now on the way to Asia. Was doing FedEx until today.
799JN Up. The other more-reliable one. On FedEx.
542KD Up. Doing Asia.
543JN Down. In LAX for 3 days after being on FedEx.
545JN Up. Military.

546JN Down for 9 months. SHV.
435KD Down for 9 months. SHV.
804SN Never got started. Almost 3 years. SHV.

So, of the active 10, five up, five down. Presumably, 3 will be back in service soon, but it kind of takes the sheen off of "air freight" when your load is stuck in ANC for 2-3 days. Let's hope it's not perishable...

Over at National, another group of nice, hardworking folks, it's a little hit-or-miss again, after they seemed to put their massive ANC delays behind them.

919CA Working fine. Asia. Interestingly, Tokyo is a big origin for them these days.
952CA Working fine. On the way to Tokyo.
756CA Ugh. Stuck in ANC since Monday. Spent 6 days in Moses Lake, then took off for Tokyo (told ya!) on Saturday. Returned NRT-ANC-LCK, then made it as far as ANC on Monday and...plop. Still there.
702CA In ANC for 12 hours so far on the way back from Tokyo.
729CA Damaged. Was making a super-cool trip from RFD to Al-Massira Airport in Agadir, Morocco, but hit birds on the way in and apparently needed more than speed tape. Still there over a week later. Somebody's AOG team is presumably making some decent cheese off of this. AGA has a 10,500-foot runway and is a major tourist destination, but it's not a major maintenance center for anyone and normally sees a lot of 737s and A320s.

SkyLease is just moving and moving and moving. 903AR is doing its usual don't-stop Asia rotations (mostly to WUH), and 904AR, in its new coat of paint and fresh from a heavy-check, is doing a lot of deep-South-America runs for the moment.

And our OB-2059-P seems to be back on one-a-days for Amerijet, after a few days in which it was doing two daily round-trips to Points South. Glad to see she's okay. (I have adopted MO11's determination that that's who she is working for, and he's never been wrong, so that's how we'll roll from now on.) The Kalitta 727s have vamoosed, while IFL has two there right now, which seem to operate with marginal-reliability. It seems like they should be doing two round-trips per day each, and they don't normally seem to be up to that. The Titan A321F that they're trying out seems to be working reliably (as one would expect), and may be a source of relief to Amerijet's hard-pressed schedulers.

So the more-interesting US carriers are having some interesting times these days...

747classic

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 am

Below is a months old picture of G-VXLG 'Ruby Tuesday' at TLV for P-F conversion.
Now back outside the hangar, she's being prepared for her new life flying for Longtail Aviation.

VQ-BZV, Longtail Aviation (ex G-VXLG), TLV , Feb 23th 2021

Original uploaded by G-VROS (picture via Asafg11) at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/747GVROS/status/1364239601540464650
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

CX747

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm

747classic wrote:
Below is a months old picture of G-VXLG 'Ruby Tuesday' at TLV for P-F conversion.
Now back outside the hangar, she's being prepared for her new life flying for Longtail Aviation.

VQ-BZV, Longtail Aviation (ex G-VXLG), TLV , Feb 23th 2021

Original uploaded by G-VROS (picture via Asafg11) at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/747GVROS/status/1364239601540464650

Amazing that only a few months back we were questioning whether the P2F for 747s would fire back up. (1) almost done and another in the hopper. Maybe Longtail can keep the "Flying Lady" up front on ex-Ruby Tuesday.

Firing Order for 747-400 P2F conversion:
PH-BFW Former- "City of Shanghai" for KLM
PH-BFV* Former- "City of Vancouver" for KLM
PH-BFT* Former- "City of Tokyo" for KLM

*Possible

Post-Conversion Work
VQ-BZV Longtail Aviaiton...Former G-VXLG "Ruby Tuesday"

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 pm

After multiple planned attempts to depart for its delivery flight, it looks like ET-AYL finally departed from DHN as ET9201 to IAD yesterday after being painted there. This will be Ethiopian Airlines' third 738F. Has flown for a variety of European operators, most recently Pegasus in Turkey. Was converted at MIA by Commercial Jet and then sent up to DHN about a month ago for paint. Certainly worth keeping an eye on these African cargo carriers like Astral and Ethiopian's cargo branch, as their business seems to be doing quite well these days.

DLNZ

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:03 am

CX747 wrote:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/is-ca ... y-paul/amp

Where are they now?

Western Global 747-400
N344KD: Forty FO has been around the world and back again in the last week plus. ORD-ICN-PVG-ANC-ORD. Then a trip across the pond to Mildenhall and Ramstein!!!! Maybe a little 1v1 with a Grim Reaper out of Lakenheath..... Then blasting out of Ramstein Eastbound to ICN. Not to shabby for an EX-"Land of the Rising Sun" 747.

Another of my questionable passtimes is watching the civilian operators doing military stuff, both under their own callsigns and also under 'CMB' callsigns.

Just on the smaller 747 operators (my growing confidence in these various folks sees me not referring to them as 'fringe' any longer!), as they really do get me out of bed in the morning in this world of A320s and 737s.

WGN's other machines have been doing well. 344 as highlighted above. N356KD is currently resting at homeplate after some TATL work, and N258SN cream of the crop factory F runs like clockwork of late on it's LAX-ICN-HKG-ICN-ANC-LAX line. Nice.

Pleased to report that TransAviaExport's sole 743F EW-465TQ has left the workshop at CGK, and looks to have picked up a load in SGN before continuing to points unknown. nice to see her up and running again after 6 weeks in the workshop.

Another thread reports that Terra Avia's ER-BAE, sistership to the paxargo -BAC has left CGK. Any updates welcome as she hasn't popped up on my tracking feeds. TVR have been busy, with ex-TG bird ER-BAG running hard across Asia. ER-BAC also had an interesting mission yesterday running KRW-LOS return. Isn't Turkmenbashi a great name.

DLNZ

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 am

Over at National, another group of nice, hardworking folks, it's a little hit-or-miss again, after they seemed to put their massive ANC delays behind them.

919CA Working fine. Asia. Interestingly, Tokyo is a big origin for them these days.
952CA Working fine. On the way to Tokyo.
756CA Ugh. Stuck in ANC since Monday. Spent 6 days in Moses Lake, then took off for Tokyo (told ya!) on Saturday. Returned NRT-ANC-LCK, then made it as far as ANC on Monday and...plop. Still there.
702CA In ANC for 12 hours so far on the way back from Tokyo.
729CA Damaged. Was making a super-cool trip from RFD to Al-Massira Airport in Agadir, Morocco, but hit birds on the way in and apparently needed more than speed tape. Still there over a week later. Somebody's AOG team is presumably making some decent cheese off of this. AGA has a 10,500-foot runway and is a major tourist destination, but it's not a major maintenance center for anyone and normally sees a lot of 737s and A320s.

I get a good sense from NCR also, as an outsider. They have put a couple of nice pieces on their LinkedIn lately about standing up their 744 fleet and some of the team involved. Top folks by the looks, and a small company feel.

Interesting to see how long before 729 is up and running again. Murphys' law that the issue happens at a distant outstation. I was doing some work with the NASA folks a few years back when their -SP needed an engine change at CHC in the South Island of New Zealand. In the middle of winter. Well done those folks, who are always marvelous to work with.

wjcandee

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:34 am

DLNZ wrote:
Pleased to report that TransAviaExport's sole 743F EW-465TQ has left the workshop at CGK, and looks to have picked up a load in SGN before continuing to points unknown. nice to see her up and running again after 6 weeks in the workshop.

Another thread reports that Terra Avia's ER-BAE, sistership to the paxargo -BAC has left CGK. Any updates welcome as she hasn't popped up on my tracking feeds. TVR have been busy, with ex-TG bird ER-BAG running hard across Asia. ER-BAC also had an interesting mission yesterday running KRW-LOS return. Isn't Turkmenbashi a great name.

I was looking for ER-BAE on a couple of sources, and I don't see her moving yet. On the one hand, who knows? On the other hand, ADSBExchange should have picked her up out of Jakarta, like it did EW-465TQ, and there's been nothing since 3/1/21.

You beat me to it on EW-465TQ. Woo-hoo! She's back in business, and that's awesome! A 743F running strong in 2021. When people were parking 744 conversions just over a year ago.

FR24 lost track of her climbing through 11,875 feet Northeast-bound out of Ho Chi Minh City about 2 hours ago. Other sources unhelpful. We'll just keep our eyes peeled!

wjcandee

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:56 am

DLNZ wrote:
Isn't Turkmenbashi a great name.

And it's a really-pretty airport, too. The design is kind of a blend of Brutalist/Soviet and Persian/Turkmen, and it works.

DLNZ

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:54 am

wjcandee wrote:
You beat me to it on EW-465TQ. Woo-hoo! She's back in business, and that's awesome! A 743F running strong in 2021. When people were parking 744 conversions just over a year ago.

Update to this, looks like she operated SGN-VKO.

And now we have a ship stuck and blocking the Suez, just when we thought the supply chain couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Canuck600

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 am

Just wondering what sort of penalty payments companies like Western Global pay when they fail to deliver on time or otherwise don't perform according to the contract terms? Surely penalties for failure to deliver on time are part of every cargo contract?

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:22 am

Canuck600 wrote:
Just wondering what sort of penalty payments companies like Western Global pay when they fail to deliver on time or otherwise don't perform according to the contract terms? Surely penalties for failure to deliver on time are part of every cargo contract?

I suspect that these are negotiated terms. If FedEx is late, they will sometimes refund my money, and sometimes not. The price varies according to which it is. I imagine the risk of delay is something that is negotiated. Or it can be insured-against.

What a reputation for unreliability can do, however, is lose you customers. FedEx axed several of the WGN MD11s they had reserved partway through Peak, although UPS picked them up, and DHL tossed it off some subservice work it was doing on a MIA route in favor of another carrier. There were a lot of complaints about reliability on here about the time that that happened, so draw your own conclusions.

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:25 am

Okay, so weird rumour over at APC: Someone claims that Western Global is ordering 7 new 777Fs from Boeing. It sounds preposterous to me if the Neffs are still running the place; it's against everything they based the whole business model on. And they could improve reliability with a lot-lower capital expense -- just send the planes out to a place that maintains them to a level that UPS and FedEx do. A lot more expensive, but a lot less expensive than buying new 777s. Straight past the Big Twin and straight to new builds? Pretty-sure somebody is high, or found religion, or both. What we of course don't know whether the stoner is WGN Management, or the person who was the proponent of the rumour.

Spacepope

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 pm

DLNZ wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Update to this, looks like she operated SGN-VKO.

And now we have a ship stuck and blocking the Suez, just when we thought the supply chain couldn't get any more ridiculous.

"weeks" to remove it, this is going to be interesting. The last ships to make it through the canal to Europe should be docking any time now. Then.....

I've seen a few ships from both directions start heading the long way down round Africa. They are claiming an additional 25 days to their ETA.

For perishables and other somewhat time-sensitive cargos, this means our former CIS 747 fleet is going to be in even higher demand than before..

In the Amazon thread we discussed this a bit too. Some Suez traffic is Asia-East Coast US/Canada. Some of this trade will probably have to go to the West coast and then get trucked, railed or even flown cross country.

sunking737

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:54 pm

I agree that FedEx Ground is messed up. I had a box delivered at 545 pm yesterday. It was shipped from a local company, First Aid/Medical Supplies. I'm sure our UPS guy was back at his hub getting ready to go home.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

socalspotter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 pm

N321CM left SBD to MIA as NAC9321. Just out of AeroPro paint as all white. https://www.flightradar24.com/NAC9321/2733fcb7

Spacepope

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 pm

This was posted over in the Pax 747 retirement thread based on an "article" of speculation by the dinguses at Simple Flying

"Bad news, wamos air has now officially retired there last 747-400 EC-KXN. It’s on its way to Kyrgyzstan right now probably to be scrapped there. https://simpleflying.com/wamos-final-747-retirement/"

There's absolutely no evidence of a startup scrapping facility there, but perhaps we may see a new PaxCargo join the fleet of our ragtag central Asian operators.

HPRamper

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:16 pm

sunking737 wrote:
I agree that FedEx Ground is messed up. I had a box delivered at 545 pm yesterday. It was shipped from a local company, First Aid/Medical Supplies. I'm sure our UPS guy was back at his hub getting ready to go home.

FedEx corporate is working on a reorganization of the entire system that will result in deliveries being made into the nighttime hours. Currently it's uncommon for FX to deliver after dark, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see couriers on the road until 7-8pm. To be fair, I already see Amazon and UPS making deliveries in my neighborhood as late as 8pm - FedEx I guess wants in on the PM action as well.
They are also apparently cracking down on what they call "standalones" which are lower priority stops that have the potential to be delivered early if they are close to a priority stop. The people making the call would rather a courier drive down the same street again later on in the day rather than take an extra minute on the front end and be efficient about it. Of course, that's more of an Express thing but it goes to illustrate where the company is headed right now. Ground is, well, a mess and probably always will be.

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 pm

socalspotter wrote:
N321CM left SBD to MIA as NAC9321. Just out of AeroPro paint as all white.

Interesting. 18 days to paint it white. I guess that means they did a thorough prep and a good white job, so they can hopefully just clean it and put the livery on in a few months on an expedited basis. I'm guessing that they didn't want an Aloha Cargo livery flying South from Miami. Might confuse people. Me, I would have thought it was cool.

I used to like to fly ATA on business trips to Chicago, Dallas and LA. The palm tree logo/livery, the "On ATA, You're On Vacation!" slogan everywhere. The moment I got on the aircraft to come home, I mentally put the "business" part behind. They even had a tropical signature cocktail. Aaaah. Maybe weird, but I did notice a decade later that DL did a whole campaign that focused on how when an international traveler was coming home on Delta from some exotic business destination, the familiarity of the brand made them feel like they were home when they got on the plane. It was very-effectively-done, and so maybe not so weird after all.

So maybe advertising Aloha Cargo all over the Caribbean and Central America wouldn't be so awful. But experienced marketers probably made that call.

jreeves96

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:28 pm

Since a C-17 flies cargo... anybody know why Kuwait sent their C-17 CHS-ORD?

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
Since a C-17 flies cargo... anybody know why Kuwait sent their C-17 CHS-ORD?

I don't know the answer either and have been quite curious. Joint Base Charleston at CHS has the 437th Airlift Wing of the USAF, which has a large amount of C-17s. I lived in CHS for a month earlier in 2020, and the place where I lived on the peninsula was right under the approach for Runway 33 at CHS. It was always fun to step outside and see a Dreamlifter, a C-17, a 787 out on a test flight, etc. I remember walking to get a coffee one morning, and a Dreamlifter roared overhead out of nowhere. Was quite the thrill. There's apparently been UAE C-17s at CHS recently, as well as a whole lot of military charter work (ATI 752 combi, ABX 762s, FX MD11s, WGN MD11s, etc.), substantially more than usual. Not sure of the reason though for this particular surge.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:13 am

Spacepope wrote:
dinguses

Couldn't stop laughing. Felt a little like Beavis. (Or was it the other guy whose name would get my post moderated?) "Heh-heh. Heh-heh. He said 'dinguses'."

Anyway, they write an article about the oh-so-exotic-tiny-little-country-of-Kyrgyzstan, without mentioning that "Manos International Airport in Kyrgyzstan" is freaking FRU! Bishkek, for goodness' sake! A place where cargo planes actually go. (Our guy from Atlas was there recently.) Home of Aerostan!! How little is known by dinguses. Heh-heh. Heh-heh. I said "dinguses"

Anyway, it would be pretty-cool if this EC-KXN found something fun to do from Bishkek. Another one to keep our eye on, especially now that our favorite 747-300F is done with maint at CGK and back flying.

Spacepope

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:38 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
dinguses

Couldn't stop laughing. Felt a little like Beavis. (Or was it the other guy whose name would get my post moderated?) "Heh-heh. Heh-heh. He said 'dinguses'."

Anyway, they write an article about the oh-so-exotic-tiny-little-country-of-Kyrgyzstan, without mentioning that "Manos International Airport in Kyrgyzstan" is freaking FRU! Bishkek, for goodness' sake! A place where cargo planes actually go. (Our guy from Atlas was there recently.) Home of Aerostan!! How little is known by dinguses. Heh-heh. Heh-heh. I said "dinguses"

Anyway, it would be pretty-cool if this EC-KXN found something fun to do from Bishkek. Another one to keep our eye on, especially now that our favorite 747-300F is done with maint at CGK and back flying.

It really reminds me of that scene in The Hunt for Red October where Sean Connery tells Alec Baldwin "I've read your books. The conclusions were all WRONG!"

But yeah, a new 744 headed to FRU is something to keep our eyes on. Wonder if they told Wamos "Da, you can keep seats. Is good gift to you" and plan on operating it as Paxcargo for the short term. With the Suez Crisis Mk. 2 in full swing and ships being diverted alllllllllll the way around Africa, we'll see demand pick up even higher for airfreight. 25 days additional transit time now.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 am

Spacepope wrote:
"Da, you can keep seats. Is good gift to you"

Another classic!

On a slightly-different but kinda-similar note, I made a little discovery tonight, which is that ER-BAR, the "Oscar Jet" 747-200F that I have been trying to keep an eye on, appears actually to be flying. As we understood, it is actually being operated now by Fly Pro, or at least it flies with Fly Pro flight numbers. I noticed that it appears to fly with a different HEX code now: 504E60 (instead of E4F). Snagged it on FR24 climbing between 21,000 and 26,000 feet near the Kyrgyzstan border southeast of Bishkek and southwest of Almaty, so likely climbing out of Bishkek. And I realized that it was flying with this new HEX code. Off to adsbexchange, and, with more than a little work, found traces of it all over Southeast Asia, North Africa, and even South America in the last month or two. The longest solid trace I found of it was coming across the Atlantic from Sao Paulo to North Africa.

So despite months of "No data" from FR24, apparently she has been working. (And I notice there's a photo of her on another site from February, landing in CGK in the same livery she's wearing in the 7 year old photo of her below when she had a different registration number, but still looking shiny, so I guess they have maintained that look with new paint.)

CX747

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:59 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Another classic!

On a slightly-different but kinda-similar note, I made a little discovery tonight, which is that ER-BAR, the "Oscar Jet" 747-200F that I have been trying to keep an eye on, appears actually to be flying. As we understood, it is actually being operated now by Fly Pro, or at least it flies with Fly Pro flight numbers. I noticed that it appears to fly with a different HEX code now: 504E60 (instead of E4F). Snagged it on FR24 climbing between 21,000 and 26,000 feet near the Kyrgyzstan border southeast of Bishkek and southwest of Almaty, so likely climbing out of Bishkek. And I realized that it was flying with this new HEX code. Off to adsbexchange, and, with more than a little work, found traces of it all over Southeast Asia, North Africa, and even South America in the last month or two. The longest solid trace I found of it was coming across the Atlantic from Sao Paulo to North Africa.

So despite months of "No data" from FR24, apparently she has been working. (And I notice there's a photo of her on another site from February, landing in CGK in the same livery she's wearing in the 7 year old photo of her below when she had a different registration number, but still looking shiny, so I guess they have maintained that look with new paint.)

Sir, outstanding work on uncovering one of the "unspoken ones". Been trying to see where that bird was for a while. Glad to hear she is all over the globe as a good cargo bird should be. Just adds to the little network of several 747s Classics operating out of the Stans. I like how all of us have compiled that little fleet together. In a time period of parked 787s and A350s, we see a 747-300F and another 747-200F plying long haul routes at all hours, day in and day out. Does our "Classic" fleet now stand at 6?

EX-47001
EX-47002
4L-GEO
4L-GEN
ER-BAR
EW-465TQ

Do we have a track on where 747-200F ER-BAT happens to be? She also seems to be a Fly-Pro bird but things don't always line up as you think which can be...VEEEERRRYY NICE.

I don't know which long shot I hope for more...

(2) ex-NWA 747Fs returning from their slumber
(7) Shiny new 777Fs for Western Global

wjcandee

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:32 am

CX747 wrote:
Do we have a track on where 747-200F ER-BAT happens to be?

First, let me say your post was, as usual, a joy to read.

I'm feeling a little deja-vu, but in going back through ADSBExchange, I have a very-clear trace with lots of readings of the last say 2 hours of her flight on January 30 of this year from FL370 over Banda Aceh descending southeast-bound into,,,CGK!! Is that where she has been all this time? On the one hand, that feels like news; on the other hand, I feel like maybe I already knew that she was being worked on at GMF AeroAsia, but had forgotten it. Weird. I really need to do a little spreadsheet of these aircraft and what they're up to. Anyway, I think that's where she has been for nearly 2 months, so maybe we will see her back in action shortly.

In the month before that, there's a fair amount of activity showing her almost-daily running around to and from Delhi, to China, Singapore, the Middle East, etc. So the fact that this all dried up after a trip to CGK suggests that we should be looking for her around the GMF AeroAsia hangars.

I noticed that EW-465TQ doesn't exactly look freshly-painted, but she does look like maybe she had a bath while at Jakarta. And a nice photo from yesterday of her landing in SGN (on another site) shows the word Cargo has been removed in the last 6 months, retaining the TransAviaExport lettering. She's been doing Moscow-Delhi and now it looks like back to Moscow, although a bit hard to tell. Gotta wonder whether that's vaccine-related given that I think Sputnik V is now being produced by a manufacturer in India. Turns out the Russians apparently had a winner in that vaccine very early on, which makes sense, actually.* It's a little too bad that they couldn't ramp it as fast as some other players, because Russia's willingness to just throw it out there with confidence that it wasn't some strange magical thing that needed to be tested out the butt for safety but rather a standard vaccine construction about which the only real question was going to be effectiveness, and it turns out it works very well. Because they will use it to project influence in developing nations as well as to help their own people, they are interested in a huge ramp-up, and have enlisted India in the manufacturing, because India has big contract vaccine manufacturers and finishers. Maybe coincidence; it's not like the only trade between the two is vaccines, but if this turns into a regular gig for that aircraft, maybe it's related.

*Since I have some tangential involvement in this stuff, I would mention (if anyone cares) that the Russian scientists did something smart that Oxford/AstraZenica didn't do. Both Sputnik and Oxford -- and J&J -- use a harmless inactivated adenovirus to transmit the "code" of just the spike protein of the Covid virus to teach the body to neutralize it fast. The Russians decided to use a different vector adenovirus in the second dose. That is, Dose 1 uses one harmless vector virus but Dose 2 uses a different one. That turns out to be smart because some are pinning the disappointing performance of the Oxford vaccine on the theory that the body ends up being primed by the first dose to neutralize Oxford's vector virus, when it comes in the second dose, before it can fully boost training the body to hit the Covid spike protein, so the booster effect of the second dose is constrained. The data on Sputnik suggests that the second dose is a big boost, which tends to validate the theory about the Oxford vaccine. It also suggests that giving a second dose of the J&J "one dose" vaccine, which is currently being studied as a possibility to make that vaccine perform better, probably will be underwhelming for the same reason that Shot 2 of Oxford was -- and why Shot 2 of Sputnik had a strong effect.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:11 am

So after all that, EW-465TQ is I guess not going to Moscow. I just had a look at her Northwest-bound over western Russia, where she either would turn due north to join the gaggle of aircraft headed for Moscow, or continue on. She continued on, so I would assume that she's going home to Minsk, where she's from.

747classic

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Regarding the FedEx MD11F fleet : What is the future for the 5 stored MD11 aircaft ?

N522FE, PW powered, stored VCV since April 2020.
N646FE, GE powered, stored VCV since August 2019, still in LH Cargo configuration (ex D-ALCE)
N647FE, GE powered, stored VCV since December 2019, also in LH Cargo configuration (ex D-ALCF)
N648FE, GE powered, stored VCV since Februay 2020, also in LH Cargo configuration (ex D-ALCJ)
N649FE, GE powered, stored VCV since March 2020, alsoin LH Cargo configuration (ex D-ALCH)

Will all 5 be used for spares or are any re-activation plans known (like the UPS purchased ex LH Cargo MD11's) ?

DLNZ

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Great to see Ruby Star breaking cover with EW-556TQ a resplendent 747-409(BSDF). This is the ship which carried a Burundian rego previously. Currently en route to PIK. Another great addition to the minor operators list!

Spacepope

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:01 pm

DLNZ wrote:
Great to see Ruby Star breaking cover with EW-556TQ a resplendent 747-409(BSDF). This is the ship which carried a Burundian rego previously. Currently en route to PIK. Another great addition to the minor operators list!

Oh yeah, she popped up on our radar a week or so ago. Glad to see she's been put to work!

A few minor hiccup incidents: Cargologic 744F G-CLBA (only 59000 hours as of a year ago) had a hydraulic issue taking off from LHR to ATL. Diverted at low altitude (probably burning off fuel) to FRA for repairs. http://avherald.com/h?article=4e4fa86e&opt=0

Fedex MD-11 N582FE (90,000 hours/ 22,000cycles) on a -9000 numbered flight had a compressor stall on one of its CF6s taking off from STN, diverted back to STN after dumping fuel. http://avherald.com/h?article=4e4f6e71&opt=0

mark1484

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm

CX747 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Another classic!

Sir, outstanding work on uncovering one of the "unspoken ones". Been trying to see where that bird was for a while. Glad to hear she is all over the globe as a good cargo bird should be. Just adds to the little network of several 747s Classics operating out of the Stans. I like how all of us have compiled that little fleet together. In a time period of parked 787s and A350s, we see a 747-300F and another 747-200F plying long haul routes at all hours, day in and day out. Does our "Classic" fleet now stand at 6?

EX-47001
EX-47002
4L-GEO
4L-GEN
ER-BAR
EW-465TQ

Do we have a track on where 747-200F ER-BAT happens to be? She also seems to be a Fly-Pro bird but things don't always line up as you think which can be...VEEEERRRYY NICE.

I don't know which long shot I hope for more...

(2) ex-NWA 747Fs returning from their slumber
(7) Shiny new 777Fs for Western Global

Don’t forget the 3 classic B742F flying in Iran!
EP-FAA
EP-FAB
EP-ICD

Spaceship

Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:26 pm

[quote][Don’t forget the 3 classic B742F flying in Iran!
EP-FAA
EP-FAB
EP-ICD/quote]

Also the ex Nippon Cargo B747-281F N6915R

Mean while its sister-ship ER-BBS is been cutup for scrap in JKT

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos