Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Swiss03

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:18 pm

thedreamthejohn wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Do we have an up to date list of the factory and converted 747-400Fs that are currently parked?

We've had the discussion recently on the parked LH 747s and to be parked LH frames serving as donors to previously thought dead, desert dwelling converted 747-400Fs. It could be the MHV ex-EVA frame is the first of many. Overall, it would be much cheaper to find a converted jet and rejuvenate it than convert an already operational jet.

Also, good to see Fly Pro's 747-200F ER-BAR hard at work since rejoining the worldwide freighter fleet. Wonder what other 747 Classics are possibly being prepped to re enter service?!?

Jumping to another thought...

Anyone have visibility on N705AA? A recently brought out of the desert 727F. It was supposed to go to Astral in Africa but continues to show as resting in Barbados after departing the US.

We do now ;)

Stored B747-400 F/BCF/M

Pure Freighter:

N492MC Atlas ( active as recently as 02/21) (seems to be at TPE for maintenance)
N499MC Atlas ( active as recently as 01/21) (in HKG)
B-18701 China Airlines ( active as recently as 01/21) (at TPE, possible maint.)
B-18702 China Airlines (stored at VCV since 2012, due to return)
B-18703 China Airlines (stored at VCV since 2012, Due to return)
B-18710 China Airlines ( active as recently as 03/21) (at TPE, possible maint.)
B-2461 China Southern ( active as recently as 08/20)
B-2473 China Southern ( active as recently as 12/20)
B-2427 Grand star cargo (Stored PEK since 2011, In need of major rework and checks, currently for sale)
9V-SFQ Singapore Air ( active as recently as 02/21) (listed as stored by planespotters, not sure where or why)
N582UP UPS ( active as recently as 02/21) (at SDF)
TC-MCT Saudia Cargo (At SAW, presumably still on repair after massive tailstrike in 02/20)

Combi:

HS-TGH stored CGK 2021 (probably for maint.) due Terra Avia
B-2458 stored PEK 2014
N925BA (HL7608) stored MZJ 2013
N570B (HL7482) stored MZJ 2013
N251KW Stored MCI 2021 for maint. Possible Due Eastern Airlines?
HL7414 Stored VCV 2017
HL7482 Stored TPE Mar 2021 WFU 16 Mar 2021
N27063 (B-16402) Stored MHV 2017 (due to be revived using parts from LH Birds)
B-16462 Stored MHV 2016 ( partially Scrapped)
TF-AML Stored MCI 2017 due Mesk Air (UAE)
B-2435 Stored PVG 2019

Combi: ( only for feedstock)
PH-BFD std MHV2017
PH-BFH std MHV 2017
PH-BFT std MCI 2020 ( possible due for light conversion)
PH-BFV Std TEV ( possible due for light conversion)
PH-BFW At TLV for light conversion Due longtail aviation
PH-BFY std MHV 2020
D-ABTD std MHV 2011
D-ABTF std MHV 2011
D-ABTH std MHV 2013
B-2471 Std PEK 2013 (presumed scrapped)

N582UP is in very active service. flew into SDF friday night the 26th. not stored.

Thanks , has been edited. Apologies that I didn't check on flightradar

747classic

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm

thedreamthejohn wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Do we have an up to date list of the factory and converted 747-400Fs that are currently parked?

We've had the discussion recently on the parked LH 747s and to be parked LH frames serving as donors to previously thought dead, desert dwelling converted 747-400Fs. It could be the MHV ex-EVA frame is the first of many. Overall, it would be much cheaper to find a converted jet and rejuvenate it than convert an already operational jet.

Also, good to see Fly Pro's 747-200F ER-BAR hard at work since rejoining the worldwide freighter fleet. Wonder what other 747 Classics are possibly being prepped to re enter service?!?

Anyone have visibility on N705AA? A recently brought out of the desert 727F. It was supposed to go to Astral in Africa but continues to show as resting in Barbados after departing the US.

We do now ;)

Stored B747-400 F/BCF/M

Pure Freighter:

N492MC Atlas ( active as recently as 02/21) (seems to be at TPE for maintenance)
N499MC Atlas ( active as recently as 01/21) (in HKG)
B-18701 China Airlines ( active as recently as 01/21) (at TPE, possible maint.)
B-18702 China Airlines (stored at VCV since 2012, due to return)
B-18703 China Airlines (stored at VCV since 2012, Due to return)
B-18710 China Airlines ( active as recently as 03/21) (at TPE, possible maint.)
B-2461 China Southern ( active as recently as 08/20)
B-2473 China Southern ( active as recently as 12/20)
B-2427 Grand star cargo (Stored PEK since 2011, In need of major rework and checks, currently for sale)
9V-SFQ Singapore Air ( active as recently as 02/21) (listed as stored by planespotters, not sure where or why)
N582UP UPS ( active as recently as 02/21) (at SDF)
TC-MCT Saudia Cargo (At SAW, presumably still on repair after massive tailstrike in 02/20)

Combi:

HS-TGH stored CGK 2021 (probably for maint.) due Terra Avia
B-2458 stored PEK 2014
N925BA (HL7608) stored MZJ 2013
N570B (HL7482) stored MZJ 2013
N251KW Stored MCI 2021 for maint. Possible Due Eastern Airlines?
HL7414 Stored VCV 2017
HL7482 Stored TPE Mar 2021 WFU 16 Mar 2021
N27063 (B-16402) Stored MHV 2017 (due to be revived using parts from LH Birds)
B-16462 Stored MHV 2016 ( partially Scrapped)
TF-AML Stored MCI 2017 due Mesk Air (UAE)
B-2435 Stored PVG 2019

Combi: ( only for feedstock)
PH-BFD std MHV2017
PH-BFH std MHV 2017
PH-BFT std MCI 2020 ( possible due for light conversion)
PH-BFV Std TEV ( possible due for light conversion)
PH-BFW At TLV for light conversion Due longtail aviation
PH-BFY std MHV 2020
D-ABTD std MHV 2011
D-ABTF std MHV 2011
D-ABTH std MHV 2013
B-2471 Std PEK 2013 (presumed scrapped)

N582UP is in very active service. flew into SDF friday night the 26th. not stored.

Planespotters list aircraft "stored", if several days no movement is observed, so during a HMV the label "stored" will be added.
N582UP isn't very active if not operated since March 26th , but could have some home base maintenance (SDF)
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

wjcandee

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 pm

Thanks, Swiss03! Great list!!

Because I understand the weirdness of the Planespotters algorithm, your list made total sense to me, even though we know that a lot of the "parked" or "stored" aircraft are just in maintenance.

Perusing the list, it appears as if there really aren't any pure 744 freighters that are likely to be readily available. Combis, perhaps for a quickie partial conversion or as parts donors, yes. That's an important fact.

Our friends at the likes of AeroTransCargo and Longtail jumped on the lower-hanging fruit (even if some of it wasn't too low-hanging), and now have some ships in strong use and a couple more on the way. I think that German company is dreaming at the moment, but we'll see.

Frankly, the likes of Western Global and National, who already had cards in their deck, took a darn long time to play them and thus didn't get the full benefit of the situation, whereas Aerotranscargo just plain went for it, and is now reaping the rewards. If I'm in someplace that one of these Former Soviet Satellite carriers (also including GeoSky, Aerostan, Terra Avia, TransAviaExport) is legally-allowed to fly to (i.e. Liege, Paris, North Africa, the Sandbox, etc.), they provide a very-attractive option if I'm looking to bring stuff in from South America or China.

Spacepope

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:36 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Because I understand the weirdness of the Planespotters algorithm, your list made total sense to me, even though we know that a lot of the "parked" or "stored" aircraft are just in maintenance.

Perusing the list, it appears as if there really aren't any pure 744 freighters that are likely to be readily available. Combis, perhaps for a quickie partial conversion or as parts donors, yes. That's an important fact.

Our friends at the likes of AeroTransCargo and Longtail jumped on the lower-hanging fruit (even if some of it wasn't too low-hanging), and now have some ships in strong use and a couple more on the way. I think that German company is dreaming at the moment, but we'll see.

Frankly, the likes of Western Global and National, who already had cards in their deck, took a darn long time to play them and thus didn't get the full benefit of the situation, whereas Aerotranscargo just plain went for it, and is now reaping the rewards. If I'm in someplace that one of these Former Soviet Satellite carriers (also including GeoSky, Aerostan, Terra Avia, TransAviaExport) is legally-allowed to fly to (i.e. Liege, Paris, North Africa, the Sandbox, etc.), they provide a very-attractive option if I'm looking to bring stuff in from South America or China.

I'm thinking it may be a little harsh on National. They de-embalmed those 3 parked 744s and got them into service about as reasonably quick as they could. Considering the size of their operation when they started and the sheer uncertainty of the pandemic havoc, they stuck their necks out pretty far and seem to have made a good decision.

Western Global though. If you can't say something nice....
The last of the famous international playboys

Swiss03

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi all,
I made a slight mistake in the list
it is in fact HL7618 that has been withdrawn from service and stored at TPE on the 16th of march

On that note, why would Asiana pull an active freighter from service, TPE would make sense for maintenance but both planespotters and a Korean aviation news site list it as withdrawn from the fleet.

VCVSpotter

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am

Swiss03 wrote:
Hi all,
I made a slight mistake in the list
it is in fact HL7618 that has been withdrawn from service and stored at TPE on the 16th of march

On that note, why would Asiana pull an active freighter from service, TPE would make sense for maintenance but both planespotters and a Korean aviation news site list it as withdrawn from the fleet.

I wonder if the lease is up.....??? Planespotters lists it as leased from AerSale Inc. and she was ferried to TLV in January 2012 for conversion work. I wonder if Asiana had a 10 year lease on the plane that expired...? Then AerSale flies her to TPE, does maintenance/inspection work, and places her with a new operator (likely very quickly). That’s the most plausible scenario I can think of. Either that, or somehow there was a ‘glitch’ and people are saying that it has WFU even though Asiana still operates HL7618.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9

wjcandee

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:06 am

Spacepope wrote:
I'm thinking it may be a little harsh on National. They de-embalmed those 3 parked 744s and got them into service about as reasonably quick as they could.

I thought they bought them in early-to-mid-2019 and then decided to leave them parked for nearly a year before sending them to SAT to be revived.

CX747

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:32 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I'm thinking it may be a little harsh on National. They de-embalmed those 3 parked 744s and got them into service about as reasonably quick as they could. Considering the size of their operation when they started and the sheer uncertainty of the pandemic havoc, they stuck their necks out pretty far and seem to have made a good decision.

Western Global though. If you can't say something nice....

National moved very quickly to bring 3 jets out of years of storage. The longest sleeping beauty was 7+ years. They have far more competition than others overseas. Could they have bought up other jets? Yes but they went with what they had. I would like to see them and others solidify their position with additional growth but time will tell.

Aerotranscargo, those rough and tumble boys do win the overall award for going all in. They truly went for it, snagged up parked jets and tore through Europe, the Stans and China. They took a ME based operation, turned it all around and setup shop in Kazakhstan. Let me say that again, Kazakhstan....I LIKA YOU.

What everyone thought would be a small op of 6 flights a week through NQZ turned into 6+ flights a day and a line maintenance center. Now they are humming along through NQZ and will soon setup shop with 2 birds at AMS. This also says nothing about their relationship with Terra Avia and the lease agreements of additonal birds there. Overall, Aerotranscargo has setup a Kingdom and it will be fun to watch them grow.

The number 1, unsung victor of all of this is GMF AeroAsia out of CGK. Their support to multiple 747 operators for heavy checks, line maintenance and additional support has made them the go to guys for many operators. Hard to think that having a 747 qualified maintenance shop would bring you in more cash than an A330 center during the Year of Our Lord 2021.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

gdavis003
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
AEI announced another order and another option for 734F for Aeronaves. Currently Aeronaves has one 734, 2CRJ2 and one MD-80 in conversion with AEI.

Convoluted press release here https://www.aeronautical-engineers.com/ ... bution.pdf

For those following, I've kept a close eye on Aeronaves the last few months and the moves they've made. N102FF is the current 737-400 in conversion at DHN (former Qantas/Comair), and it's been there since December. N841AS (ferried DHN early November) and N682BR (ferried DHN early January) are the two CRJ-200s in conversion. N841AS ought to be done soon, I suspect. N376MS (ferried DHN end of September and flew for quite a lot of airlines) is the MD-83, and it really should be done any day now.

Three weeks later, and N376MS is ready to head off to SLW today after conversion at DHN for Aeronaves TSM. Looks like Aeronaves ferried their own crew up to DHN with the usual stop in LRD on their Citation II (XB-SGT), and they'll head home this afternoon with the Citation and a newly-converted MD-83. Talk about something sitting in storage for a long time, this one sat in storage for 5.5 years, 2.5 in Bucharest (which I can't imagine is a good place to store an airplane but can't be worse than the 744 that sat in Pattaya), 0.5 in Roswell, and 2.5 in Saltillo. Last flew for Austral in Argentina in 2014. Time for DHN to get to work on these DL MadDogs now!

wjcandee

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:36 pm

gdavis003 wrote:

Three weeks later, and N376MS is ready to head off to SLW today after conversion at DHN for Aeronaves TSM. Looks like Aeronaves ferried their own crew up to DHN with the usual stop in LRD on their Citation II (XB-SGT), and they'll head home this afternoon with the Citation and a newly-converted MD-83. Talk about something sitting in storage for a long time, this one sat in storage for 5.5 years, 2.5 in Bucharest (which I can't imagine is a good place to store an airplane but can't be worse than the 744 that sat in Pattaya), 0.5 in Roswell, and 2.5 in Saltillo. Last flew for Austral in Argentina in 2014. Time for DHN to get to work on these DL MadDogs now!

Great report!

flyguy1

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:17 am

Does anyone know if Fedex has started a new departure bank out of IND? I noticed today that there are a lot of flights departing from there around 9am now, and they all seem to start with 2 as the first number of the flight.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

CX747

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 am

Well, it is 2100 local time and it occurred to me that we needed to see what ER-JAI of Aerotranscargo has been up to. I call this 747-400F "Code", due to the pronunciation of the tail number and a long ago call sign for a good friend of mine. It is also Wjcandee's favorite ATC 747, due to it continuing to wear the World Airways livery years after the carrier's demise.

So, Code extended Aerotranscargo's Kingdom across the Atlantic late last month. On 3/21/21, Code departed Germany's Hahn Airport (HHN) and headed Westbound non-stop for the ever green Rio de Janeiro and Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport (GIG). First time for ATC in GIG and possibly the South America. Interesting that they were able to pick up that work. One would have thought others would of had first dibs. Potentially shows just how much need there is in the airlift department out of Europe.

Sets up a nice little pattern of knowledge for ATC to learn Europe & Westbound flights across the Atlantic. Wonder if they attempt to earn more of that work to help "understand" the flow over the Atlantic, with basing of 2 jets at AMS rapidly approaching. Just another double take on ATC's growth in less than 18 months.

747s out of Hahn is nothing new but fun fact....one used to be able and fly my Uncle Sam's Vipers out of HHN. Afterburner, German food & beer, PLUS my Uncle pays you for it. Pretty soon though all of my Uncle's European Vipers will be in Italy but Oh bene.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

LifelinerOne

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 am

Ethiopian is to convert two of its B767-300ERs into freighters and signed a deal with IAI. Presumably it will be ET-ALO and -ALP that will be converted.

https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/ethi ... freighters

Cheers! :wave:
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

HPRamper

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 am

flyguy1 wrote:
Does anyone know if Fedex has started a new departure bank out of IND? I noticed today that there are a lot of flights departing from there around 9am now, and they all seem to start with 2 as the first number of the flight.

Yes. It's called the RESPONSE project and it has systemically changed FX quite a bit, in terms of moving from part time to full time ramp and sort employees. It's more or less an answer to E-commerce volumes being mostly low-priority, later in the day deliveries, so theoretically IND can focus on moving high-prio on the earlier "1" flights and then a second bank of deferred product on the "2" flights. It only started this week and so far it's been....rough going. Not enough flight crews to go around, staffing that second bank is shorting the regular flights elsewhere. Instead of separating the freight by priority, IND hub crews are doing what you do with a shorthanded crew....loading whatever you have on the first plane and sending it. So a lot of deferred stuff is coming on the early birds and priority on the late one. Which wrecks the whole original idea. It will be a while until they work the kinks out. I believe a lot of management types were in denial about the project happening, so they decided not to staff or plan for it. And got caught with their pants down.

QF744ER

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:02 am

Haven’t seen this posted previously however World Cargo Airline (WCA) of Malaysia has recently taken delivery of their first 20yr old B737-800BCF 9M-WCA, looked up the history on this frame and its had more operators than a 2yr year old Hertz Toyota Corolla has had drivers, was most recently with Aeromexico.

-WCA joins B734F 9M-POS which is operated on a long term POS Malaysia contract.

CX747

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:35 pm

We've discussed the status of the 757P2F in the past. Below are two seperate articles discussing viewpoints on the strength of the program going forward. Good food for thought. I especially like how one of the Executives talking discussed how a market can try to be "shaped" by competition and not actual facts on the grounds. AA's and others recent retirement of 757s has assisted in changing the landscape of the market.

One of the interesting quotes from a Precision Executive on the 757 was, "Rumors of the demise of the 757 have been greatly exaggerated by all those converters wanting to fill the void."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cargofacts ... d-in-2021/

https://cargofacts.com/allposts/carrier ... ons/?amp=1

Overall, I do not discredit the ability in the future for the A321 to supplant/replace 757s. Where I stop is stating the A321 will fully replace or supplant the 757 in the cargo market. What happened in the pax side, does not write definitive rules on the cargo side. Two different markets at different times in history. There are still a ton of 757s out there and they are cheaper to gobble up than A321s. They are also easier to get as the production line is humming. The A321 has a good shot but we do not know where the market will be, when the program hits its stride. It could be gangbusters still or it could be so slow due to passenger snap back demand that parked 757P2Fs are so numerous that demand is sapped. We have also not discussed the dramatic effect the 767 has had to the market and where its P2F and new production ships make ripples in the market.
Last edited by CX747 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyguy1

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:38 pm

HPRamper wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:

Yes. It's called the RESPONSE project and it has systemically changed FX quite a bit, in terms of moving from part time to full time ramp and sort employees. It's more or less an answer to E-commerce volumes being mostly low-priority, later in the day deliveries, so theoretically IND can focus on moving high-prio on the earlier "1" flights and then a second bank of deferred product on the "2" flights. It only started this week and so far it's been....rough going. Not enough flight crews to go around, staffing that second bank is shorting the regular flights elsewhere. Instead of separating the freight by priority, IND hub crews are doing what you do with a shorthanded crew....loading whatever you have on the first plane and sending it. So a lot of deferred stuff is coming on the early birds and priority on the late one. Which wrecks the whole original idea. It will be a while until they work the kinks out. I believe a lot of management types were in denial about the project happening, so they decided not to staff or plan for it. And got caught with their pants down.

Thanks for the information! Its good to see the workers getting more hours, hopefully this will lead to more hiring, etc.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

jeffrey0032j

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm

QF744ER wrote:
Haven’t seen this posted previously however World Cargo Airline (WCA) of Malaysia has recently taken delivery of their first 20yr old B737-800BCF 9M-WCA, looked up the history on this frame and its had more operators than a 2yr year old Hertz Toyota Corolla has had drivers, was most recently with Aeromexico.

Technically only 4 past operators, Sabre/Excel/XL (same airline) then the two Russian operators then AM. The rest were wet leases to Miami Air while it was at Excel.

CX747

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm

QF744ER wrote:

Maybe I am over caffeinated. Maybe it's Friday and I'm pumped. Maybe, I'm too jaded but 9M-POS???? To steal a quote from legendary Linebacker Lawrence Taylor, "Son, you all going to have to do better than that."

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:57 pm

Looks like Atlas has acquired an ex-Condor 767, parked at MZJ, according to Skyliner. Will become N664GT, was previously D-ABUL. 27 years old. I'll be curious if they send this one out for conversion or if it stays in pax configuration. Anyone know what the plan is?

MO11

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:18 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Make it three DL MD-88s at DHN for conversion (I believe that all three are for USA Jet). N972DL is scheduled to ferry BYH-DHN this afternoon: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97 ... /KBYH/KDHN

As of Monday, USA Jet has purchased 7 of the MD-88s.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:38 pm

CX747 wrote:
Maybe I am over caffeinated. Maybe it's Friday and I'm pumped. Maybe, I'm too jaded but 9M-POS???? To steal a quote from legendary Linebacker Lawrence Taylor, "Son, you all going to have to do better than that."

I had the same reaction. Apparently, the acronym doesn't mean the same thing in Malaysia as it does here.

Forget about using it as the tail number of a plane. ("The worst in the fleet..." Poor thing.) It's the name of the COMPANY! https://www.pos.com.my/

Just looking at the web site provides hours of fun!

"Welcome to our New Website". (Apparently, the old one was a POS.)

"POS Life Care" (For when you're not very concerned about your loved ones.)(Actually, that's death insurance -- with available coverage for Dengue Fever!!)

A photo of a happy couple interacting with a "Package of Happiness", which is labelled "POS" in the upper left-hand corner. (A snappy substitute for the usual flaming paper bag left on the front stoop.)

Obviously, when something means something in one place that it doesn't mean in another, smiles can result.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:40 pm

MO11 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
Make it three DL MD-88s at DHN for conversion (I believe that all three are for USA Jet). N972DL is scheduled to ferry BYH-DHN this afternoon: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97 ... /KBYH/KDHN

I have N969DL, N972DL, N966DL, and N978DL down as the four MD-88s at DHN for USA Jet at the moment. What are the other three? I presume that some of these will be used for parts for the others but would think that the four now at DHN will indeed be converted

MO11

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:24 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

I have N969DL, N972DL, N966DL, and N978DL down as the four MD-88s at DHN for USA Jet at the moment. What are the other three? I presume that some of these will be used for parts for the others but would think that the four now at DHN will indeed be converted

N912DE, N913DL, N971DL

gdavis003 wrote:
Looks like Atlas has acquired an ex-Condor 767, parked at MZJ, according to Skyliner. Will become N664GT, was previously D-ABUL. 27 years old. I'll be curious if they send this one out for conversion or if it stays in pax configuration. Anyone know what the plan is?

Actually, the paperwork only shows Titan Aviation Leasing Ltd. No indication of Atlas yet, although it certainly may happen.

MO11

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 pm

CX747 wrote:

Note that it was removed from the FAA register and then registered in Kenya in early February. You probably missed the departure of the 5Y- airplane.

jbs2886

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:22 pm

MO11 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
MO11 wrote:

N912DE, N913DL, N971DL

gdavis003 wrote:

Actually, the paperwork only shows Titan Aviation Leasing Ltd. No indication of Atlas yet, although it certainly may happen.

They could have meant "Atlas" as a whole, not the operation, as Titan is owned by AAWW.

MO11

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Possibly, but the other website listed the aurplane with Atlas Air as opposed to a leasing company.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 pm

MO11 wrote:

Exactly. If it's going to be operated by Atlas for itself, it will be acquired by Atlas. If it's going to be dry-leased from Titan and operated by Atlas under a CMI agreement for the lessee (as with the Amazon contract), then it will be acquired by Titan (or a related entity: they usually use "Andromeda" Leasing for Amazon). If it's acquired by Titan, it will be for: (1) someone like Amazon, who dry leases the plane and has Atlas operate it (although unlikely actually to be Amazon); (2) a dry-lease to a customer who will operate it themselves. This won't be for Atlas's own use, so it probably won't be kept as a pax bird, but it could be.

QF744ER

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 am

A photo has emerged on FB of supposedly ex KLM 74M PH-BFW with a new rego of VQ-BWL taped over the top of it’s blue KLM livery.

747classic

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 am

VQ-BWL, TLV, April 2021

Copyright Alon Russo at Facebook, see : https://www.facebook.com/alon.russo/
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

wjcandee

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:18 pm

And CAM's 767-200 N747AX finally made it off from ILN to HNL today. Probably going to Raya. Next stop: GUM.

wjcandee

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:20 pm

QF744ER wrote:
A photo has emerged on FB of supposedly ex KLM 74M PH-BFW with a new rego of VQ-BWL taped over the top of it’s blue KLM livery.

Looks like it still has windows. Wonder how the conversion is going...

Spacepope

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:30 pm

wjcandee wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Honestly if it’s just the rumored “light” conversion, I really doubt they will take out the windows.

wjcandee

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:20 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Honestly if it’s just the rumored “light” conversion, I really doubt they will take out the windows.

Huh. I would have thought that installing plugs would be an integral part of any actual conversion. You would otherwise have hidden potentially-broken windows that you can't inspect or service from the interior, or, alternatively, exposed, breakable windows.

I know there were some in the old days that tried to keep the windows. Airborne often did with its conversions, but they also didn't cut a cargo door. But I have to think you would need to or at least prefer to plug them these days.

I think there's an AD on the 727 requiring replacement of windows on freighters with plugs. I don't know about other aircraft.

One other thought. Replacing the windows (or not) would seem like something that would be part of the STC. Thus, if IAI usually replaces windows in combi-to-freighter conversions, I would think they'd need to do it here, but maybe I'm overthinking things.

Spacepope

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:49 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Huh. I would have thought that installing plugs would be an integral part of any actual conversion. You would otherwise have hidden potentially-broken windows that you can't inspect or service from the interior, or, alternatively, exposed, breakable windows.

I know there were some in the old days that tried to keep the windows. Airborne often did with its conversions, but they also didn't cut a cargo door. But I have to think you would need to or at least prefer to plug them these days.

I think there's an AD on the 727 requiring replacement of windows on freighters with plugs. I don't know about other aircraft.

One other thought. Replacing the windows (or not) would seem like something that would be part of the STC. Thus, if IAI usually replaces windows in combi-to-freighter conversions, I would think they'd need to do it here, but maybe I'm overthinking things.

I was assuming a lot less work was being done on this. No raising of the floor on the SUD, cargo door already there, cargo interior already in the rear. Since 74M Combi operators already use the rear for cargo with windows just fine, I assumed there would be no change. 3/4 cargo, 1/4 paxcargo in front. Keep the pallets behind the bulkhead/barrier. Maybe remove seats and overhead bins/PSU, and get her into service. If there’s a c check involved this might be the most labor intensive part of the whole deal.

wjcandee

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:05 am

Spacepope wrote:
I was assuming a lot less work was being done on this. No raising of the floor on the SUD, cargo door already there, cargo interior already in the rear. Since 74M Combi operators already use the rear for cargo with windows just fine, I assumed there would be no change. 3/4 cargo, 1/4 paxcargo in front. Keep the pallets behind the bulkhead/barrier. Maybe remove seats and overhead bins/PSU, and get her into service. If there’s a c check involved this might be the most labor intensive part of the whole deal.

Makes sense. Sooner the better.

747classic

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Makes sense. Sooner the better.

Light conversion : remove all pax related equipment (seats, bagaga bins, etc. in front of the partition, especially the large longitudinal pantry , between doors 12 and 22 has to be removed to make room for paxcargo.
Installation of a kind of (light) cargo floor with attachment points to secure the cargo, carried fwd of the Pax/Cargo barrier.
The P/C barrier stays at the 6/7 pallet position, because the aft maindeck halon knock down system has been certified only for the 6/7 pallet configuration.
Some early combi's were delivered, with strengthend floor beams to allow a 12/13 pallet configuration, however that configuration has never been certified for fire fighting due lack of demand.
Most probably this late built aircaft has no strengthend floor beam fwd of the 6/7 pallet barrier to allow a 12/13 pallet configuration.
The upperdeck floor stays intact, perhaps (part of) the upperdeck seats are removed. But everything has to be calculated carefully, because too much weight removed at the front section can cause W&B issues.

Picture of PH-BFW (before first revenue flight in 2000) : Longitudinal galley

Picture of PH-BFW (before first revenue flight in 2000) : 6/7 pallet Main Cargo deck

wjcandee

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 am

As you know, MAS Air in Mexico is expanding a bit, and it leased a couple of aircraft from CAM, a 767-300 and a 767-200, in the last year. The 767-200 was an ex-ABX Air ship, N773AX, which had been leased to West Atlantic for a while as SE-RLD, and then returned to CAM. She went to MEX in mid-October, and into service for MAS Air on November 20. She's been running for them since then.

Looks nice in her new livery in this photo taken yesterday!!

Line Number 61, Delivered to ANA in July 1983, per planespotters.net. I figure she has roughly 5000 cycles left to her LOV.

wjcandee

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 pm

Here's an interesting one: N395CM, an ATI 767-300 that ATI runs on military and as an operational spare sometimes on ATI's otherwise-Amazon operation, is on its way to EMA from ILN. Never seen that ever.

Might be military, although it's an unusual direction (i.e. East) for ATI on a 767-300 military flight. Might be covering for ABX, which has been doing some EMA runs for DHL. Might be something else entirely. But interesting!

flyguy1

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:40 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Here's an interesting one: N395CM, an ATI 767-300 that ATI runs on military and as an operational spare sometimes on ATI's otherwise-Amazon operation, is on its way to EMA from ILN. Never seen that ever.

Might be military, although it's an unusual direction (i.e. East) for ATI on a 767-300 military flight. Might be covering for ABX, which has been doing some EMA runs for DHL. Might be something else entirely. But interesting!

From looking at Flightradar, it looks like N317CM has been at EMA since Saturday. That seems like a long ground time for them, in an outstation. Perhaps this one has an issue, that N395CM will help rescue.

Spacepope

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm

wjcandee wrote:

In the past (going off memory) ABX has done an EMA-Azores-Dover run at something like a once-weekly frequency

But looking at N317CM's previous schedule, it's probably a rescue for the ORD-EMA-CGN-LHR-ORD rotation

wjcandee

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Thanks, Guys! Great info! We'll see what she ends up doing.

Allee

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 pm

N317CM isn’t broken or being rescued

wjcandee

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:58 pm

Allee wrote:

Thanks, Allee! I'm guessing the ATI flight is government/military, then. That's of course what 395CM normally does; I just didn't remember what Spacepope did about it doing some military work from EMA in the past.

Spacepope

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:32 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Allee wrote:

Thanks, Allee! I'm guessing the ATI flight is government/military, then. That's of course what 395CM normally does; I just didn't remember what Spacepope did about it doing some military work from EMA in the past.

Well not that frame in particular, usually ABX sent one of their 762s on that mil route.

Allee

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:16 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Allee wrote:

Well not that frame in particular, usually ABX sent one of their 762s on that mil route.

N312AA is the one that does military flights

CALMSP

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:24 am

a topic that many have discussed before, but probably something EK really wants to see happen given their 380 size.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/exclu ... conversion

wjcandee

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:45 pm

So the movement of N395CM turned out to be a truly-unique one. It's in flight EMA-NAS (Nassau, Bahamas).

wjcandee

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Allee wrote:

And, of course, Allee was correct. It's on its way back to CONUS from LHR.

Niteflyr

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 am

395 did military charter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos