Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:54 am

GECAS now 18
Kalitta now 5 (to be leased from GECAS).
Emirates 5 (from its own fleet)

So 18 conversions already scheduled.

Going strong!

GECAS has 30 options total, so 12 left.

3 conversion locations so far: TLV, ICN (Sharp Techniks) as many as 5 lines, Abu Dhabi (Etihad) 2 lines.

wjcandee

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:24 am

Instead of saying as many as five lines, I should have said as many as six per year starting in 2024 at Sharp.

DLNZ

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:19 am

wjcandee wrote:
GECAS now 18
Kalitta now 5 (to be leased from GECAS).
Emirates 5 (from its own fleet)

So 18 conversions already scheduled.

Going strong!

GECAS has 30 options total, so 12 left.

3 conversion locations so far: TLV, ICN (Sharp Techniks) as many as 5 lines, Abu Dhabi (Etihad) 2 lines.

It's going to be an awesome ship, with plenty of feedstock becoming available.

Speaking of going strong, as is this thread, now at >2000 posts. A big thanks so all the contributors, I've learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the conversations.

To celebrate, 'Big Shot' have embarked on another mission to Venezuela, ship '01 arriving at CCS via its usual circuitous route via CAI, CMN, SID. '02 continues to ply the corridor between (the former Portuguese colony of) Macau, and Pakistan, to Sialkot this time.

wjcandee

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:50 am

DLNZ wrote:
[
It's going to be an awesome ship, ...

I'm thinking so. The floor-redo giving it a signfiicant payload is more important, I think, than Eastern thinks it is.

I've been looking at the stuff GECAS is releasing, and you get a sense that they're very-proud and heavily involved in the design and specs of the thing. Not the "how to" part that IAI is so experienced in. But rather the "what does it need to be able to do" and "what features/capabilities does it need to have" and "what's it got to look like to best market it". That's something that perhaps nobody has a bead on better than GECAS. And the marriage of the two also licensed engineering from Boeing.

That's a fine pedigree. This thing has every angle covered, I think. Can't wait to see the prototype in service.

TriniA340

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:33 am

CX747 wrote:
Meanwhile, out of Miami our two resident airliners.net DC-8Fs continue their Carribean cruising.

2059-P: 9/21/21 workload.....MIA-SAL-MIA-SAP-MIA

2158-T: 9/21/21 workload.....MIA-BGI-SDQ-MIA

And the IFL 727s as well:
N215WE hasn't flown since Amerijet's SJU-MIA sector on the 17th.
N216WE started back flying for them yesterday, 21st.

The Titan A321F has probably less than a month remaining with them :(

LAXintl

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:45 pm

Atlas Air signed long-term agreement with FedEx to provide pair of B747-400F aircraft on a full-time ACMI basis. The agreement is in addition to the company’s existing multi-year peak season contract that provides FedEx with a minimum of five aircraft during 4Q.

https://www.atlasairworldwide.com/2021/ ... ith-fedex/

Wonder what segment will the pair of 744s cover for FX?

wjcandee

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm

LAXintl wrote:

According to reports, they're already in service. When I have a few minutes, I'll go look for what they're flying.

Once again, pointing out the opportunities for a WGN if it could be sufficiently-reliable.

N493MC and N450PA have been flying under a Fedex callsign MEM-ANC-ICN-HKG-ANC-MEM. So it looks like one route at the moment. Perhaps also others.

This was a fun exercise, brute-force checking 42 active 747s (and several in maint) to see where they're flying. I forgot how impressive flying 42 747s is. Wow.
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flyguy1

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 pm

wjcandee wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

According to reports, they're already in service. When I have a few minutes, I'll go look for what they're flying.

Once again, pointing out the opportunities for a WGN if it could be sufficiently-reliable.

N493MC has been flying under a Fedex callsign MEM-ANC-ICN-HKG-ANC-MEM.

N450PA has also been flying various US-Asia sectors for Fedex.

tofen

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Atlas did a lot of flying on FX1/FX2 (MEM-STN-MEM) over the summer, but those seem to have gone back to mostly 777F since August.
I always thought it looked a bit weird having a flagship route like that not operated by your own metal, but I guess the boxes doesn't care.

wjcandee

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm

flyguy1 wrote:

Exactly. I saw this after editing my post. I didn't look at everything it had flown for Fedex, so I'm sure you're right that there are others besides the one I mentioned, and it of course can change depending on demand.

TUGMASTER

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:00 am

Just scouting for some 742 frames in the air, and the only one I could find was this ex Nippon Cargo machine.
EP-FAA, from somewhere in Iran, to Ethiopia.
Another rare bird in the air.. love it.!

flyguy1

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 am

wjcandee wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:

Exactly. I saw this after editing my post. I didn't look at everything it had flown for Fedex, so I'm sure you're right that there are others besides the one I mentioned, and it of course can change depending on demand.

I wonder how their pilots feel about this? Or is this allowed under their contract?

CX747

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:57 pm

flyguy1 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:

I wonder how their pilots feel about this? Or is this allowed under their contract?

There are always ways to get around a contract!

The lift is needed but management in the long term should be filling the gap with additional 777s. With that said, can one really shake their fist at 2 747s flying, when a ton of 767s and 777s with purple tails continue to come on property?!?!

I do feel though that if a specific tail number is going to be on property for more than 6 months, then it needs to be painted in company colors! Who here doesn't want to see 2 747s in purple? Heck, do two throwbacks and have a Flying Tigers and the deep purple of the 1980s.

mark1484

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:12 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Just scouting for some 742 frames in the air, and the only one I could find was this ex Nippon Cargo machine.

Good catch!

That one has been inactive for quite some time. EP-FAB on the other hand has been busy all year.

Planeboy17

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:26 pm

Well, arbitration is the only legal way to get around the contact unless there is some kind of clause due to the pandemic. I’m sure ALPA legal is reviewing everything right now but with a public announcement management must be confident this is okay. Sure would be cool to see these planes painted in Fed Ex colors but highly doubt it since Atlas has had the QF contract for a very long time and just have the decals on.

747classic

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:27 pm

CX747 wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

The lift is needed but management in the long term should be filling the gap with additional 777s. With that said, can one really shake their fist at 2 747s flying, when a ton of 767s and 777s with purple tails continue to come on property?!?!

I do feel though that if a specific tail number is going to be on property for more than 6 months, then it needs to be painted in company colors! Who here doesn't want to see 2 747s in purple? Heck, do two throwbacks and have a Flying Tigers and the deep purple of the 1980s.

A few months ago FedEx was looking at acquisition of three China Cargo Airlines 777F's (MSN 37711, 37715 and 37716), perhaps the deal was considered too expensive (GECAS lease cost plus the cost of standardizing) or China Cargo Airlines decided (at the last moment) to extend the lease(s).

Spacepope

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:54 pm

747classic wrote:
CX747 wrote:
flyguy1 wrote:

A few months ago FedEx was looking at acquisition of three China Cargo Airlines 777F's (MSN 37711, 37715 and 37716), perhaps the deal was considered too expensive (GECAS lease cost plus the cost of standardizing) or China Cargo airlines decided (at the last moment) to extend the lease(s).

IIRC we went over this a while back and the contract was supposed to be OK with third party flying under FX callsigns as long as new metal was being added to the FX fleet. Recently FX was taking second-hand 777Fs (Etihad) and is accepting new-build 767s and 777s basically as fast as Boeing can make them. This seems to be at least fulfilling the spirit of the agreement so I doubt the pilot's union can do much about it (though to be sure, they are watching everything like a hawk).

In the meantime, a few Cargo-related tangents. The drum again is beating for maxed-out supply chains even before peak. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/9 ... iday-gifts

Even the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2019 is rearing its head and looking for a round (number) 2. I flew over 30-some container ships loaded up and parked off Long Beach last week, with no real way to offload them any quicker.

We all saw how air cargo was used in a pinch to get product past logistical bottlenecks last time, but the differences today are: 1) everything that can be fixed up enough to haul stuff has since been plucked from the desert (unless you want to bite the bullet on some MD-10-10s, and even then there's no one to work them for months or years ahead) and 2) the remaining fleet overall has continued to age, both with airframes and (to stay true to brand) especially engines.

And one last anecdote on how tight everything already is: My Amazon delivery truck yesterday was a passenger Ram van clearly marked as a local dealership courtesy shuttle vehicle. Was it sold and no one scrubbed the markings? Is it leased out by the dealer to make extra bucks? Is the chip shortage hurting van production super heavy? Who knows, but between this, and seeing UPS already with DOT placards ont he side of regular Penske moving trucks doing normal rounds, big companies are already scrambling to make do.

CX747

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:20 pm

Spacepope wrote:
747classic wrote:
CX747 wrote:

A few months ago FedEx was looking at acquisition of three China Cargo Airlines 777F's (MSN 37711, 37715 and 37716), perhaps the deal was considered too expensive (GECAS lease cost plus the cost of standardizing) or China Cargo airlines decided (at the last moment) to extend the lease(s).

IIRC we went over this a while back and the contract was supposed to be OK with third party flying under FX callsigns as long as new metal was being added to the FX fleet. Recently FX was taking second-hand 777Fs (Etihad) and is accepting new-build 767s and 777s basically as fast as Boeing can make them. This seems to be at least fulfilling the spirit of the agreement so I doubt the pilot's union can do much about it (though to be sure, they are watching everything like a hawk).

In the meantime, a few Cargo-related tangents. The drum again is beating for maxed-out supply chains even before peak. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/9 ... iday-gifts

Even the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2019 is rearing its head and looking for a round (number) 2. I flew over 30-some container ships loaded up and parked off Long Beach last week, with no real way to offload them any quicker.

We all saw how air cargo was used in a pinch to get product past logistical bottlenecks last time, but the differences today are: 1) everything that can be fixed up enough to haul stuff has since been plucked from the desert (unless you want to bite the bullet on some MD-10-10s, and even then there's no one to work them for months or years ahead) and 2) the remaining fleet overall has continued to age, both with airframes and (to stay true to brand) especially engines.

And one last anecdote on how tight everything already is: My Amazon delivery truck yesterday was a passenger Ram van clearly marked as a local dealership courtesy shuttle vehicle. Was it sold and no one scrubbed the markings? Is it leased out by the dealer to make extra bucks? Is the chip shortage hurting van production super heavy? Who knows, but between this, and seeing UPS already with DOT placards ont he side of regular Penske moving trucks doing normal rounds, big companies are already scrambling to make do.

You are absolutely correct. FX management is taking on new 767/777s as quick as Seattle can make them. They have also gone out and purchased used 777 metal. They are very much doing what is necessary. The leasing of 2 747s is not an issue.

You are also spot on when discussing how the logistics chain is stretched awfully thin, with no "backup" fleet in the desert. We may, yet again need to change our viewpoint on what standard of aircraft in the desert is the "backup".

If we were tasked to go find 747-100/200F aircraft in the desert what would we find? Not 2018 standards but 2021 standards. Where are there 747-100/200F that could be made airworthy?

Spacepope

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 pm

CX747 wrote:

You are also spot on when discussing how the logistics chain is stretched awfully thin, with no "backup" fleet in the desert. We may, yet again need to change our viewpoint on what standard of aircraft in the desert is the "backup".

If we were tasked to go find 747-100/200F aircraft in the desert what would we find? Not 2018 standards but 2021 standards. Where are there 747-100/200F that could be made airworthy?

That's the rub... and why I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the parked MD-10-10s pop up for another operator for a short time.

Fedex is leasing known knowns (the 747s and MD-11s, though the WGA MDs might be unknown knowns in Rumsfeld parlance). They also started dragging their own boneyard and are revitalizing 5 formerly parked MD-11s to bring back into the active fleet. I think the only reason UPS isn't doing this is because there really is no parked former UPS fleet like the FX one at VCV to draw on. So instead they lease CAM metal.

I won't be surprised to see some additional ABX 762 lift coming online for Brown even before peak. Things are already stupid tight.

747classic

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Spacepope wrote:
CX747 wrote:

That's the rub... and why I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the parked MD-10-10s pop up for another operator for a short time.

Fedex is leasing known knowns (the 747s and MD-11s, though the WGA MDs might be unknown knowns in Rumsfeld parlance). They also started dragging their own boneyard and are revitalizing 5 formerly parked MD-11s to bring back into the active fleet. I think the only reason UPS isn't doing this is because there really is no parked former UPS fleet like the FX one at VCV to draw on. So instead they lease CAM metal.

I won't be surprised to see some additional ABX 762 lift coming online for Brown even before peak. Things are already stupid tight.

There are also several MD-11F's available in the desert, in various stages of storage.
Following the MD11 production list from the last produced to the first produced, also several factory built freighters are stored :

L/N 632, PH-MCW, MD11F, GE, stored since March 2016, MHV
L/N 623, N640BC, MD11(F), PW, stored since Nov 2016 VCV
L/N 619, B-16108, MD11F, GE, stored since Oct 2014, VCV
L/N 618, N618TF, MD11F, GE, stored since April 2018, MHV
L/N 617, N776ML, MD11F, GE, stored since Feb 2018, MHV
L/N 616, N775BC, MD11F, GE, stored since Feb 2018, MHV

L/N 615, N546BC, MD11(ER)(F), GE, stored Aug 2015, VCV
etc.

The largest constraint is the availability of avionics, followed by the availabily of "green" engines.

Spacepope

Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:18 pm

747classic wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

There are also several MD-11F's available in the desert, in various stages of storage.
Following the MD11 production list from the last produced to the first produced, also several factory built freighters are stored :

etc.

The largest constraint is the availability of avionics, followed by the availabily of "green" engines.

That list is fun when one goes down it and sees what condition these are in:

L/N 632, PH-MCW, MD11F, GE, stored since March 2016, MHV Missing engines and largely intact Also PW not GE
L/N 623, N640BC, MD11(F), PW, stored since Nov 2016 VCV Former Ethiopian, No engines. Missing many parts
L/N 619, B-16108, MD11F, GE, stored since Oct 2014, VCV No engines. Partly parted out.
L/N 618, N618TF, MD11F, GE, stored since April 2018, MHV No engines. Partly parted out
L/N 617, N776ML, MD11F, GE, stored since Feb 2018, MHV No engines. Partly parted out
Stripped of engines but mostly intact
L/N 615, N546BC, MD11(ER)(F), GE, stored Aug 2015, VCV No engines. Heavily parted out.
etc.

There isn't a whole lot to pick from left. Fedex running 5 more are going to put additional strain on the used engines and parts issue too. With an already small pool to draw on, any more revivals seem very unlikely for the MD-11

wjcandee

Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:56 pm

Re the MD11s -- seems like the PW engines might be more desireable, as WGN, for example, is reportedly having trouble getting GE engines with sufficient time. They refuse to use PW, which might open an opportunity for others.

TUGMASTER

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 pm

mark1484 wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Good catch!

That one has been inactive for quite some time. EP-FAB on the other hand has been busy all year.

Just had another looks for some airborne 200’s,
And 3 pop up.
Ex-47001 enroute CCS-CAI
EP-FAA heading back to Iran
50125 MCN- xxx

Love it

wjcandee

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:36 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
]

And 3 pop up.
Ex-47001 enroute CCS-CAI
50125 MCN- xxx

Love it

Good catches! I occasionally forget that the AF1 fleet and the Nightwatch aircraft (E4-B) are essentially 747-200s. Interesting that 50125 was at MCN.

I just did a little check myself and also came up with a GeoSky 742 flight from China back East. Fun!!

DLNZ

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 am

CX747 wrote:

Interesting isn't it, and I agree that it's slim pickings YoY.

The freshly D-checked 742F ER-BAU is for sale and ready to fly. I can't imagine it will take too long for her to find a home. There was some talk of a 742F at either SHJ or FJR being in reasonable, but unknown condition. I will see if I can find that post.

To widen the scope, I wonder if more paxargo machines will fill the void. JetOneX have VQ-BWM, ex-KLM Combi ready to fly for Longtail but she doesn't seem to be operating. I believe this was a light conversion not a full P2F conversion by IAI. VQ-BZV ex-VS paxargo machine is flying for LGT and is way down in Vietnam currently. They have also acquired the relatively young ex-CI pax 744 now reg'd N337JX and at VCV presumably in MX.

sunking737

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 am

Question ...Is there enough trained pilots to fly these planes. ?? What about Simulators??? for the older ones??

DL757NYC

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:21 am

Spacepope wrote:
747classic wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

etc.

That list is fun when one goes down it and sees what condition these are in:

L/N 632, PH-MCW, MD11F, GE, stored since March 2016, MHV Missing engines and largely intact Also PW not GE
L/N 623, N640BC, MD11(F), PW, stored since Nov 2016 VCV Former Ethiopian, No engines. Missing many parts
L/N 619, B-16108, MD11F, GE, stored since Oct 2014, VCV No engines. Partly parted out.
L/N 618, N618TF, MD11F, GE, stored since April 2018, MHV No engines. Partly parted out
L/N 617, N776ML, MD11F, GE, stored since Feb 2018, MHV No engines. Partly parted out
Stripped of engines but mostly intact
L/N 615, N546BC, MD11(ER)(F), GE, stored Aug 2015, VCV No engines. Heavily parted out.
etc.

There isn't a whole lot to pick from left. Fedex running 5 more are going to put additional strain on the used engines and parts issue too. With an already small pool to draw on, any more revivals seem very unlikely for the MD-11

I know Fed Ex had quite a few MD-11’s stored. I was told because they were PW powered. The Ethiopian MD-11’s weren’t they purchased by Delta for the engines from Boeing

DLNZ

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 am

Further to the above, the stored 742F at FJR is EW-460TQ / N691SR reg'd to Aircraft Guaranty Corp. As we discussed earlier in the year, she lit up her transponder a few times back in February. MSN 23919 / LN689. A relatively young nose loading machine. Desirable I would think if she is in decent nick. Time for some TLC in Jakarta I say.

CX747

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 am

sunking737 wrote:
Question ...Is there enough trained pilots to fly these planes. ?? What about Simulators??? for the older ones??

Outstanding question!

Finding currently qualified guys on the 747 Classic would be an issue, as they are flying metal for other folks. Training guys though wouldn't be as hard. Look at the likes of both Aerostan and GeoSky. 4 747s between them, with Aerostan's on property just about a year. I believe GeoSky uses or used Pan Am Flight Academy in FL for their recurrent training needs.

Geosky if I recall is also a completely paperless cockpit. Pretty cool to think about a 747-200F with modern "glass" add ons and no paper.

MO11

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:12 am

DLNZ wrote:
Further to the above, the stored 742F at FJR is EW-460TQ / N691SR reg'd to Aircraft Guaranty Corp. As we discussed earlier in the year, she lit up her transponder a few times back in February. MSN 23919 / LN689. A relatively young nose loading machine. Desirable I would think if she is in decent nick. Time for some TLC in Jakarta I say.

N691SR is owned by Azee Aviation FZE.

CX747

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:12 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
mark1484 wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Good catch!

And 3 pop up.
Ex-47001 enroute CCS-CAI
50125 MCN- xxx

Love it

EP-FAA to Ethiopia you say. That may be watched very, very, closely.

DLNZ

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:16 am

MO11 wrote:
DLNZ wrote:

N691SR is owned by Azee Aviation FZE.

Thanks for the correction. Any word on her condition?

Another frame of interest is Alta's N251KW 744BCF which has flown this year, and rests at MCI.

CX747

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:32 am

DLNZ wrote:

Seems she has been in storage for a while but yes, our friends at the CGK based MRO of GMF could assist!!

Speaking of MROs, it seems that Mammoth Freighters, the hopeful 777-200LR/300ER P2F company has teamed with GDC, an MRO company based in Fort Worth, Texas for conversion support.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 am

CX747 wrote:
Speaking of MROs, it seems that Mammoth Freighters, the hopeful 777-200LR/300ER P2F company has teamed with GDC, an MRO company based in Fort Worth, Texas for conversion support.

Vis. my takedown of that public-relations effort on the other thread. GDC literally issued a press release last year when a 777 came in for a C-check. It was their second one ever. They mostly do VVIP interior installations and installation of avionics made by others (including the Thomas Global LCD plug-and-play replacement for the 757/767 cockpit CRTs), but I don't doubt that they could gear up and do the touch work on Mammoth's design. But, as I noted elsewhere, it's not like Mammoth is getting the backing and scale of an ATS or AAR (or a GMF AeroAsia!!), but at least they now have a shop to do the work. The other Brand X 777 guys had long-ago identified a place that was going to do the touch work. Now Mammoth has one, too.

The hard parts are going to be figuring out what the machine should look like in terms of spec's and abilities, and doing the massive amount of engineering/design work to translate that vision that into a certifiable freighter. Looks like GECAS/IAI has basically done that and are now proceeding to a prototype. It's hard to know how far along the competitors actually are, and whether the work is any good.

Newark727

Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:49 am

What's the deal with N399CM? Saw it land at LAX earlier in the week with full Aloha Air Cargo paint, but small "Operated by Northern Air Cargo" titles. Whereas FR24 and planespotters seem to think it's still an ATI plane. Wasn't the idea that Aloha would take it over themselves when they got the relevant certifications?

wjcandee

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:09 am

Newark727 wrote:
What's the deal with N399CM? Saw it land at LAX earlier in the week with full Aloha Air Cargo paint, but small "Operated by Northern Air Cargo" titles. Whereas FR24 and planespotters seem to think it's still an ATI plane. Wasn't the idea that Aloha would take it over themselves when they got the relevant certifications?

You got it. The short answer is that Aloha Air Cargo doesn't operate 767s, NAC (a related Saltchuk company) does. So CAM leases 4 763s to NAC, and NAC now operates all of them, with two running for Aloha. Before NAC got ETOPS, ATI operated N399CM for Aloha.

CAM leased N399CM to NAC under its "wet-to-dry" lease program, where they'll basically wet-lease you an aircraft until you're ready to fly it yourself. (It's really a dry lease of a particular term, usually 10-ish years, along with a CMI agreement of, say, a year, renewable and cancellable for convenience.) Apparently, NAC thought it would have its ETOPS certification a lot sooner than it did, so ATI flew the aircraft on its certificate from post-conversion entry into service, on 11/6/17, until 5/10/21, following NAC's obtaining of ETOPS certification. Then it went on the NAC certificate, and they've been flying it since. The second Aloha aircraft, N321CM, went straight onto the NAC certificate in late March 2021. (The other two NAC 767s are N379CX in the NAC livery, and N351CM, which is painted in a livery for StratAir, a freight company based in MIA that is another Saltchuk subsidiary (a subsidiary of Northern Aviation Services, which is a Saltchuk company.)

Hope that helps.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:12 am

wjcandee wrote:

You got it. The short answer is that Aloha Air Cargo doesn't operate 767s, NAC (a related Saltchuk company) does. So CAM leases 4 763s to NAC, and NAC now operates all of them, with two running for Aloha. Before NAC got ETOPS, ATI operated N399CM for Aloha.

CAM leased N399CM to NAC under its "wet-to-dry" lease program, where they'll basically wet-lease you an aircraft until you're ready to fly it yourself. (It's really a dry lease of a particular term, usually 10-ish years, along with a CMI agreement of, say, a year, renewable and cancellable for convenience.) Apparently, NAC thought it would have its ETOPS certification a lot sooner than it did, so ATI flew the aircraft on its certificate from post-conversion entry into service on 11/6/17 to 5/10/21. Then it went on the NAC certificate, and they've been flying it since. The second Aloha aircraft, N321CM, went straight onto the NAC certificate in late March 2021. (The other two NAC 767s are N379CX in the NAC livery, and N351CM, which is painted in a livery for StratAir, a freight company based in MIA that is another Saltchuk subsidiary (a subsidiary of Northern Aviation Services, which is a Saltchuk company.)

Hope that helps.

That does help! I vaguely remembered parts of this, but as always, trust the air cargo thread to give you the full story.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:13 am

Newark727 wrote:

That does help! I vaguely remembered parts of this, but as always, trust the air cargo thread to give you the full story.

Yeah, you had it right. Thanks for the nice words!!

TUGMASTER

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:49 am

3 more 200’s in the air..
4L-GEN CGO-TBS
EX-47001 CAI-SHJ
& a 281 coming out of Sao Paolo, believed to be ER-BAT

TUGMASTER

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am

This 200 watching is great..
4L-GEN has had a quick turnaround at TBS, and is now enroute TBS-ZAZ
While 01’s sister Ex-47002 is heading SKT-SHJ.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:28 pm

N916BR, the new iAero 737-800 conversion, completed by Commercial Jet at DHN, left DHN this afternoon for delivery to iAero’s base at GSO. Looked like from the pictures by eightcone at DHN that it was complete, and this certainly confirms that!

MO11

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:23 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
N916BR, the new iAero 737-800 conversion, completed by Commercial Jet at DHN, left DHN this afternoon for delivery to iAero’s base at GSO. Looked like from the pictures by eightcone at DHN that it was complete, and this certainly confirms that!

Well, it spent a year at TNA (July 2020-June 2021) but only 3 months at DHN (until now), so I think a "BCF" conversion at TNA, then paint and finishing at Commercial Jet.

747classic

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:43 am

Western Global asks for fleet restrictions to be completly removed.
- Western Global Airlines has asked the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to remove restriction limiting the size of its fleet.
- The airline was initially restricted to a fleet of four aircraft, this was later extended to nine, then 15 and most recently 19.
- The fleet currently stands at 12 MD-11Fs and three B747Fs. It also has three aircraft for spare parts and six intended for future operations.

See : https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/f ... e-removed/

Seen the WGA dispatch record, especially during the peak season, IMO there is room for more maintenance improvements, before removing all restrictions.

RoyalBrunei757

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Recent movement for B737NG freighters 26 September 2021:

1. B737-8AS 29927 727 N992JP Arena Aviation Capital ferried 18-25sep21 MZJ-ANC-CTS-ICN-PVG, for freighter conversion ex XA-AMZ
2. B737 -8AS(F) 33547 1271 VQ-BFD Atran delivery 20-22sep21 PVG-ICN-NQZ-OSR ex N241GE
3. B737-8AS(F) 35552 2263 OE-IWE ASL Airlines Belgium re-delivery 24sep21 TNA-OVB-OSR, for paint ex EI-DPW
4. B737-86N 38030 4139 N233GE GECAS ferried 17-18/23-24sep21 TNN-ICN-NQZ-OSR-SNN, still in SpiceJet cs ex VT-SYV
Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3

Spacepope

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Skyliner reports the former Global Supertanker N936CA was delivered to MCO on Friday.

Just in time for peak.

wjcandee

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:57 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Skyliner reports the former Global Supertanker N936CA was delivered to MCO on Friday.

Just in time for peak.

There's a nice interview with the CEO of National on a cockpit video on the Tube. Brief but friendly. He makes the point that the 747 is the best freighter out there for moving cargo. (A little-more-expensive to operate, of course -- my view, not his.) He seems like a good guy. I know he put a few million of his own money into saving the airline a few years ago; glad his airline is doing well these days.

He also explains that National Cargo is a full-service forwarder with offices around the world, that contracts with basically every airline to move stuff. National Airlines, part of the same group, is the airline they acquired/stood-up (didn't they buy Murray?) to haul part of the work they get as a forwarder and to operate for whomever needed their services.

eightcone

Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Weekend update on the cargo flock at DHN.

The Delta Maddog triplets on the tarmac are now down to 2 as N835US has been moved over next to the hanger where N833US is under a scalpel of some sort. (through the hanger gap I can only see that '33 had it's port side wing-body fairing removed)

The Maddog that was in the big hanger was rolled out and seems to be in USA jet livery minus the red cheatlines and minus markings.

A CRJ2 was on the tarmac with raw metal work. This is N680BR, listed as a Frontera Holdings, and due to Aeronaves TSM. Curious about it, I looked up and the last SDR I could find was from 2013 when she had 20k FC and 21K FH. Don't the CRJ2 have a LOV of 60k FC or 80k with PiP? According to Planespotters she just got to DHN, and the cargo door area is raw not green, so perhaps the first step they take is stripping the paint around the area where the door cut will go to see what they are working with? The more weeks I observe hopefully I can start to work out how the assembly line works and what hanger does what step.

I also snuck a peak through another hanger gap and saw N388TM, a B734 due Transair, that still had it's Flair tail and a maple leaf on the nose.

wjcandee

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:02 pm

eightcone: Great report!!!

DLNZ

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 am

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Just in time for peak.

There's a nice interview with the CEO of National on a cockpit video on the Tube. Brief but friendly. He makes the point that the 747 is the best freighter out there for moving cargo. (A little-more-expensive to operate, of course -- my view, not his.) He seems like a good guy. I know he put a few million of his own money into saving the airline a few years ago; glad his airline is doing well these days.

He also explains that National Cargo is a full-service forwarder with offices around the world, that contracts with basically every airline to move stuff. National Airlines, part of the same group, is the airline they acquired/stood-up (didn't they buy Murray?) to haul part of the work they get as a forwarder and to operate for whomever needed their services.

Indeed she was, another project well executed and delivered on time by the looks. I've seen that piece about NCR also, so good to see them doing well. I wonder if they will step up their pax charter operations, as the sole B752 is working hard, and A332 N819CA has been generally well utilised also.

In other news, Aerostan EX-47002 has ferried down to CGK for what looks like a visit to our friends at GMF AeroAsia, so another client for them. Off the top of my head she joins a ATG machine, N27063 and EW-465TQ in the shop. Quite the collection that is. All operators will want them in service asap I'm sure.

CX747

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:12 am

DLNZ wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Just in time for peak.

Indeed she was, another project well executed and delivered on time by the looks. I've seen that piece about NCR also, so good to see them doing well. I wonder if they will step up their pax charter operations, as the sole B752 is working hard, and A332 N819CA has been generally well utilised also.

In other news, Aerostan EX-47002 has ferried down to CGK for what looks like a visit to our friends at GMF AeroAsia, so another client for them. Off the top of my head she joins a ATG machine, N27063 and EW-465TQ in the shop. Quite the collection that is. All operators will want them in service asap I'm sure.

Geo Sky's RR powered 747-200F 4L-GEO still rests at the GMF "spa". Arrived there in late August. Depending upon the level of work necessary, should be able to join the "Peak 2021".