Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:47 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Looks like Maersk is expanding Star Air to fly Maersk-organic freight brokered in part by its recently-acquired Senator forwarding company. They're adding 3 767-300s, leased from CAM, in 2022.

The article makes a snide comment about Star Air's 767-200BDSFs (12 of them), calling them "very-elderly".

Obviously, they know nothing about the reliability of 767-200s. Line Number 6, operated by ABX Air, flies almost daily, with excellent reliability. Some of the Star Air 762s have line numbers in the 500s! Spring chickens, they!

Star Air has, however, used its 767-200s a lot like ABX Air. GECAS leased and converted at IAI some ex-DL 762s about the same time that ABX Air did originally, and leased them to Star Air. Line Numbers 36 and 37 among them. In fact, although they are GECAS aircraft, ATSG (AMES) has done heavy work on those two (being experts in vintage 762BDSFs), and replaced the aft pressure bulkhead on at least one of them (and maybe both) in 2019. Recently, CAM leased Star Air a 762 that came back from a CAM lease to West Air Sweden. So Star Air has the same kind of affinity for these beauties that ATSG does.

https://theloadstar.com/maersk-confirms ... f-senator/

Also adding 2 777Fs:

Welcome, @Maersk, to the 777 Freighter program.

Congratulations on your purchase of two new 777 Freighters to be operated by Star Air, building on its all-Boeing 767 fleet.

Ref: https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/sta ... 5647239176

LifelinerOne

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 pm

bwvilla

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Revelation wrote:
Also adding 2 777Fs:

Congratulations on your purchase of two new 777 Freighters to be operated by Star Air, building on its all-Boeing 767 fleet.

You would expect that those 777F's would be being brought in for a different mission than the existing 767's? e.g. intercontinental?

LifelinerOne

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:16 pm

bwvilla wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Also adding 2 777Fs:

You would expect that those 777F's would be being brought in for a different mission than the existing 767's? e.g. intercontinental?

Straight from the press-release: "With a range of 9,200 kilometers, the 777 Freighter can carry a maximum revenue payload of 102,000 kilograms, allowing Star Air to make fewer stops and reduce landing fees on long-haul routes."

So yes, they will use them on long-haul routes, replacing the B767 it uses today for these routes, making (some) stops on that route obsolete.

Cheers! :wave:

wjcandee

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:35 pm

What I got from the Loadstar article is that Star Air currently operates mainly for DHL. Now, with its purchase of Senator, a freight forwarder, it wants to provide some in-house lift for that business, and is dipping its toes into that with the additional 767-300ERs and the 777s. I'm not sure that the 777s are going to replace much, given that the 763s are currently run virtually-entirely on segments of 2 hours or less, most segments half that. I think we'll find that the 777s are for anticipated new business.

As an example, look at the flight history of OY-SRU, in the last column, which shows segment length. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OYSRU/history/320

I think when they're talking about "reducing landing fees" and "fewer stops", they're talking about future missions, not present.

Spacepope

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:14 pm

wjcandee wrote:
What I got from the Loadstar article is that Star Air currently operates mainly for DHL. Now, with its purchase of Senator, a freight forwarder, it wants to provide some in-house lift for that business, and is dipping its toes into that with the additional 767-300ERs and the 777s. I'm not sure that the 777s are going to replace much, given that the 763s are currently run virtually-entirely on segments of 2 hours or less, most segments half that. I think we'll find that the 777s are for anticipated new business.

As an example, look at the flight history of OY-SRU, in the last column, which shows segment length. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OYSRU/history/320

I think when they're talking about "reducing landing fees" and "fewer stops", they're talking about future missions, not present.

So now that Senator is owned by Star Air, how will that effect the 747s from Air Atlanta Icelandic that are operated by Magma?

wjcandee

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:13 pm

Spacepope wrote:
So now that Senator is owned by Star Air, how will that effect the 747s from Air Atlanta Icelandic that are operated by Magma?

I'm guessing not. The interest in 777s seemed to precede the purchase of Senator (evidenced by the fact that they got beaten by CGM for other frames), but as I mentioned elsewhere, now there's some synergy to be sure. I'm thinking Maersk wants to grow the business, so just putting existing freight on its own metal doesn't seem like it's sufficient. Way into the future, of course, it's anyone's guess. Depends on the Star fleet size by then and the status of the market for 747 freighter operations.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:16 pm

So National's N756CA hasn't flown in about 10 days. Last seen over Jordan at a significant altitude, but if I'm reading tea leaves (and FA and FR24 and ADSBE), looks like it was headed to TLV. Maybe some work at IAI? Given that VT Aerospace SAT got her back in the air, that seems iffy, but I guess everybody is swamped these days, and IAI certainly knows its way around converted freighters (even if this is a BCF). Or she flew in for cargo and broke.

And while we're following our favorite operators:

WGN Score: 6 of 11 MD11s flying.
1 of 4 747s flying.
Would be nice to see something coming from SHV sometime soon.

Skylease Cargo:
Blowing and going. Those 744s rarely spend more than 4 hours on the ground anywhere; reliably 2 at ANC. This obviously involves heavy crews and significant crew hours, but their focus seems to be on keeping the metal moving, at a much-higher tempo than either National or WGN.

Skybus:
Reliably one round trip from MIA to Central America or the Caribbean 6 days a week for Amerijet. Mostly using the grey-engined DC8 OB-2158-P (formerly -T). Silver-engined OB-2059-P hasn't flown since 10/5/21.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:54 pm

wjcandee wrote:
So National's N756CA hasn't flown in about 10 days. Last seen over Jordan at a significant altitude, but if I'm reading tea leaves (and FA and FR24 and ADSBE), looks like it was headed to TLV. Maybe some work at IAI? Given that VT Aerospace SAT got her back in the air, that seems iffy, but I guess everybody is swamped these days, and IAI certainly knows its way around converted freighters (even if this is a BCF). Or she flew in for cargo and broke.

I noted this also, and having a look at her track, she made a sharp left turn in toward Jordan and as she was on a Camber callsign, that she was likely running a military charter into one of those air bases which is (and I don't know precisely) in north-eastern Jordan or Western Saudi Arabia. I've seen them drop in there once or twice before. I suspect she then broke, hopefully not for long.

On National, they have obviously picked up a customer shipping from Indonesia as one of their machines is currently headed down there again. And I've also noticed them using FAI instead of ANC a lot in the past fortnight or so, enroute to the regular spots of RFD/ORD/LAX etc. Do we know why this may be, simply overflow from ANC at certain times of the day, or something more strategic?

eightcone

Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:58 pm

DLNZ wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I noted this also, and having a look at her track, she made a sharp left turn in toward Jordan and as she was on a Camber callsign, that she was likely running a military charter into one of those air bases which is (and I don't know precisely) in north-eastern Jordan or Western Saudi Arabia. I've seen them drop in there once or twice before. I suspect she then broke, hopefully not for long.

Happy to be wrong, but I highly doubt she was using that call sign and went into TLV from either the Egypt or Jordan side. Also unlikely she went north through the country to SY or IZ, routings go a certain way for there. Third is the base in the states she originated from. Fourth would be the thing in the desert she is tracking straight towards. Aviation nerds on google maps may find the variety of shapes on the ground there interesting.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:26 am

eightcone wrote:
DLNZ wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Happy to be wrong, but I highly doubt she was using that call sign and went into TLV from either the Egypt or Jordan side. Also unlikely she went north through the country to SY or IZ, routings go a certain way for there. Third is the base in the states she originated from. Fourth would be the thing in the desert she is tracking straight towards. Aviation nerds on google maps may find the variety of shapes on the ground there interesting.

I went back and looked at the routing, and I'm certainly a bit confused. I do know that the ground tracking on aircraft at TLV on ADS-B Exchange is quite good though, as you're usually able to see the exact, live position on the field at TLV, even of ground vehicles. I would think that ADS-B Exchange would have picked it up if it were at TLV, but I could be totally wrong as well, as I'm not terribly familiar with the technical mechanics of ADS-B

On a side note, tracking this one brings me back to the crazy movements of the CAM/Asian Air 767-200 this past spring. Went from ILN to somewhere in Texas that I don't believe we ever figured out. Stayed there for a few weeks and then took a very, very strange route to ROW. I would love to know if anyone ever cracked the code on that one or has seen any pictures of it out in Roswell (for reference: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N712AX)

wjcandee

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:03 am

I stupidly didn't realize it was moving under a Camber call sign. I think you are absolutely correct that it was on a military mission to Jordan or Saudi Arabia and broke there.

Never cracked the code on N712AX.

vegasplanes

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:38 am

gdavis003 wrote:
N832US, the first of the former DL MD88s to be converted for USA Jet, was scheduled to take a test flight down towards Daytona area today as JUS832, but that is now showing as cancelled on FR24. Eightcone’s pictures from a few weeks back showed that it was pretty much done, based on how the outside looked, so we will probably see a delivery here soon. First of more to come!

Was at YIP on Thursday, 10/28, USA Jet had a fully-painted MD-88 freighter doing engine run-ups outside their hanger.

One ex - DL MD-88 parked on their ramp as well, another couple parked on the ramp in front of the old terminal, just the widget on the rudder left to identify.

Did not manage to get the registration numbers.

jjbiv

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
Fleet movement over the the past three days October 29, 2021

12. Boeing 777 F 66258 1705 N848FE FedEx delivery 26 October 2021 PAE-MEM
Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=2

The new 777 delivered to FX is registered N848FD. N848FE is a C208 FedEx Feeder aircraft.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:06 am

vegasplanes wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
N832US, the first of the former DL MD88s to be converted for USA Jet, was scheduled to take a test flight down towards Daytona area today as JUS832, but that is now showing as cancelled on FR24. Eightcone’s pictures from a few weeks back showed that it was pretty much done, based on how the outside looked, so we will probably see a delivery here soon. First of more to come!

Was at YIP on Thursday, 10/28, USA Jet had a fully-painted MD-88 freighter doing engine run-ups outside their hanger.

One ex - DL MD-88 parked on their ramp as well, another couple parked on the ramp in front of the old terminal, just the widget on the rudder left to identify.

Thanks for the on the ground report. So, I would think that means that N831US got a repaint in the last few months since I last saw a picture of it. Records indicate that it was at YIP from 9 AM to 6 PM on the 28th, so that was probably the reg.

As for the DL MD-88s, N970DL, N916DL, and N959DL are at YIP for parts, presumably. So, it was likely those three

gdavis003
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:44 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Thanks for the on the ground report. So, I would think that means that N831US got a repaint in the last few months since I last saw a picture of it. Records indicate that it was at YIP from 9 AM to 6 PM on the 28th, so that was probably the reg.

As for the DL MD-88s, N970DL, N916DL, and N959DL are at YIP for parts, presumably. So, it was likely those three

N832US is in the air for the first time as a converted MadDog on a test flight out of DHN. Flew down towards Tallahassee and is now turning back towards Dothan at 24,000. Hope to see a delivery flight coming up soon.

LAXintl

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Atlas purchasing another 3 747-400F off lease. Adds to 8 others they purchased at the end of lease terms in the last year.

Reported as part of record Q3 earnings lreased today
https://www.atlasairworldwide.com/2021/ ... r-results/

Spacepope

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:10 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Atlas purchasing another 3 747-400F off lease. Adds to 8 others they purchased at the end of lease terms in the last year.

I suppose they see a lot of work coming up for them in the future, and purchase is the only way to keep them from getting re-leased to other operators. Makes sense.

amdiesen

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:42 pm

LAXintl wrote:

the remaining three at Polar?
Is DHL divesting its b744f lift?, Is DHL divesting/transferring from the Polar (while retaining the Atlas) relationship?

One would speculate that DHL is positioning to move its b744f lift to the upcoming ERSF, the questions will be
- will DHL divest the b748fs, will Atlas ultimately buy them from the partnership?
- will Kalitta grow as DHL's partner at Atlas's expense?

Spacepope

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Smartlynx looking to take 2 more A321PCF in early 2022, with an additional 4 A321PCF before the end of the year. https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/smar ... hter-fleet

LAXintl

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:56 pm

ATSG placed an order with Boeing for 4 767-300BCF. Makes ATSG first direct order from Boeing.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-relea ... tem=130955

oldJoe

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:12 am

Spacepope wrote:
Smartlynx looking to take 2 more A321PCF in early 2022, with an additional 4 A321PCF before the end of the year. https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/smar ... hter-fleet

The link is not correct. The additional 4 conversions are not PCF`s.
A321 PCF = Precision
A321 P2F = EFW
A321 SDF = Sine Draco
The 4 are mentioned are leased from GTLK to Smartlynx and three are already in conversion with EFW and the fourth to enter in early 2022 also with EFW

wjcandee

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 am

LAXintl wrote:
ATSG placed an order with Boeing for 4 767-300BCF. Makes ATSG first direct order from Boeing.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-relea ... tem=130955

Great catch!!

Fascinating. The fact is that Boeing has the touch-work vendors to deliver a fully-painted 767-300BCF in about 4 months -- for a lot more money than IAI. ATSG is still an enormous IAI customer on the 767, with slots out the wazoo for years to come, but plainly they had a demand that they could fill if they broke exclusivity with IAI, but couldn't if they didn't.

I have been watching the IAI throughput over the last year, and it has seemed to me that they are having trouble completing 767-300BDSFs in a timely manner. The usual time through TLV, once ATSG put the plane in their hands, was 6 months. Sometimes as short as 5, but generally six. Unpainted. IAI was generally very-reliable about meeting that six-month window. That hasn't been the case lately.

N399AN was 6.5 months.
N389AA was 6.75 months.
N398AN was 8 months.
N397AN has been in TLV almost 8 months.

The MEX line started its DHL conversions at a bit over 5 months, but got slower over the last year. It seems as if there's really only one 767 line there, and it seems like they're unable to ramp up to do all the Amazon planes that are there. In fact, one was sent to TLV after about 5 months, where it sits. IAI's ADD line for 767 conversions is going to do Ethiopian's frames first, so that's no help.

I'm sure that Boeing has been whispering in Amazon's and ATSG's ears for the last two years or more that if they need the work done ricky-tick, Boeing can do it. And they have: all the DHL ex-AA BCFs have been completed in 5 months-ish or less: N349AN, N343AN, N350AN, N346AN and N344AN, all at QPG.

Bottom line: ATSG are loyal customers, but they're also profit-maximizers. If they can lease out a 767-300ER to a customer at a rate high enough to justify the BCF conversion, and the opportunity to furnish the conversion disappears if they can't do it ASAP, then they have to go with the BCF. (Particularly because the proposed lessee could find someone else, say Titan or GECAS, to go get them a BCF.)

ONE FINAL THOUGHT: ATSG currently has 4 767-300ERs sitting in ILN waiting to go out to conversion. They have two more that they own sitting in the desert. I had assumed that the deal that was announced concerned new business for a customer, business that would require them to procure 4 more frames as feedstock to service the demand. In other words, that this was a new opportunity that ATSG was going to do outside the existing channels and existing resources. What would be very interesting would be if instead IAI was falling sufficiently far behind, with no hope of recovery in time for ATSG to meet its customer commitments, that some or all of the aircraft at ILN and in the desert -- which are all in service of existing orders -- were being diverted to Boeing so as to get them out as promised. That would be a huge story if true.

JayinKitsap

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:25 am

The lease rate for 4 to 5 months of flying would offset a good bit of the extra cost, not flying the plane elsewhere to get painted saves that expense and the wait at the painters. If there are looming contract dates too it make's the price difference less painful than not meeting delivery.

LTEN11

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:35 am

Any conversions due to be done in ADD will be on very shaky ground at the moment, with the war that is going on there. It has been reported that Addis Ababa is close to falling to the anti Ethiopian government forces. A quick look on F24 shows things seem to be operating relatively normally at the moment, but what happens if the capital falls will be any bodies guess.
Last edited by LTEN11 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 am

LTEN11 wrote:
Any conversions due to be done in ADD will be on very shaky ground at the moment, with the war that is going on there. It has been reported that Addis Ababa is close to falling to the anti Ethiopian government forces. A quick look on F24 shows things seem to be operating relatively normally at the moment, but what happens if the capital forms will be any bodies guess.

Uhboy. What a shame.

Spacepope

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:31 pm

2 more freighter losses in the past day or so.

Grodno Aircompany AN-12 crashes on approach to Irkutsk. No survivors. https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20211103-1

All white Transall 160 catches fire after landing in Dolow, Somalia and burns out. Crew OK https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/tran ... er-landing

FlapOperator

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Spacepope wrote:
2 more freighter losses in the past day or so.

Grodno Aircompany AN-12 crashes on approach to Irkutsk. No survivors. https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20211103-1

All white Transall 160 catches fire after landing in Dolow, Somalia and burns out. Crew OK https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/tran ... er-landing

I wonder who was operating the -160 into Dooloow?

Tragic about the AN-12 crew. Those guys are often swimming in the deep end of the pool.

FlapOperator

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:40 pm

wjcandee wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
Any conversions due to be done in ADD will be on very shaky ground at the moment, with the war that is going on there. It has been reported that Addis Ababa is close to falling to the anti Ethiopian government forces. A quick look on F24 shows things seem to be operating relatively normally at the moment, but what happens if the capital forms will be any bodies guess.

Uhboy. What a shame.

You have no idea.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Seems like the rush for peak might be hitting USPS already. A friend of mine was mailing me concert tickets (crazy that they are on paper still in the first place), and he sent them to me from Baltimore area to here in NJ. Shipped them out via USPS priority on Tuesday morning, and they’re scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Haven’t arrived at my local NJ distribution center yet. Just about 2.5 hours away from where the tickets were sent. Earlier this year, I would have received them today, and a few years back, I probably could have gotten them by Wednesday. Will be interested to see what airlift USPS utilizes again this year. The start of the peak season appears to be upon us.

travaz

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Seems like the rush for peak might be hitting USPS already. A friend of mine was mailing me concert tickets (crazy that they are on paper still in the first place), and he sent them to me from Baltimore area to here in NJ. Shipped them out via USPS priority on Tuesday morning, and they’re scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Haven’t arrived at my local NJ distribution center yet. Just about 2.5 hours away from where the tickets were sent. Earlier this year, I would have received them today, and a few years back, I probably could have gotten them by Wednesday. Will be interested to see what airlift USPS utilizes again this year. The start of the peak season appears to be upon us.

It doesn't surprise me that it is cranking up early this year. The Media is full of dire predictions of shortages and shop early warnings.
I paid for overnight express on USPS from PHX to DFW and it took 3 days. Paid almost 30.00 and got 3 day service.

sunking737

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Remember USPS has slowed down delivery's. Takes longer

RoyalBrunei757

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm

AirAsia, Airbus in talks over aircraft conversion, launches first dedicated 737-800 freighter

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2021/11 ... conversion

> Would seek to convert some of its 362 passenger plane orders
> Airbus has not announced development of A321neo freighter
> AirAsia freight arm in talks to raise up to $100 mln by year end

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Group Bhd is in talks with Airbus SE regarding the latter's freighter version of the A321neo aircraft, AirAsia cargo division Teleport chief executive officer Pete Chareonwongsak said today.

Chareonwongsak said AirAsia would seek to convert some of its 362 orders for the passenger version of the A321neo narrowbody to a dedicated freighter.

"We are in discussion with Airbus, I'll be honest and they always been a big advocate in A321 in general to be used as a freighter for Southeast Asia specifically just because of the fact that it has a great operating cost structure and obviously larger than the 320 series.

"For a lot of the markets that we need to reach both in range but also in capacity, it's a great product.

Teleport chief operating officer Adrian Loretz said the company will be starting with six fleet of 737-800 Freighter until 2023, reinforcing its position as a formidable regional player in the cargo and logistics business.

travaz

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:25 pm

sunking737 wrote:

Yes that is true but Express (overnight) and Priority (three day) are to remain the same with price increases.
Is USPS still using FEDEX for their express shipments?

HPRamper

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:53 pm

travaz wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

Yes that is true but Express (overnight) and Priority (three day) are to remain the same with price increases.
Is USPS still using FEDEX for their express shipments?

Express Mail (EML) moves in a variety of ways, FX does carry some but I wouldn't call them a primary carrier for EML. I think USPS is using everyone from FX and Amazon to the various passenger carriers to move Express Mail, and FCM for that matter.
Priority Mail on the other hand, can be delayed in a few ways and while it's possible it's the fault of FedEx, it's not usually. PML is high priority and FX will bump their own freight if need be to accommodate the space they have guaranteed the USPS. What often happens is 1. the vendors building freight for the USPS do not tender the freight to FX in time to make the cutoff, in which case it's rolled to either the next day or other carriers on occasion, or 2. the vendor receives an unexpected amount of extra volume from the USPS and they go over the matrix, that is, they have too much to fit in the space FX has guaranteed them. FedEx will generally take extra postal freight, but only on a space available basis. If the plane is full, they say sorry we're all maxed out and again, the extra volume is usually rolled another day or put on a slower conveyance.

wjcandee

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:43 am

MO11, our Oracle, I need some help.

ATSG 3Q press release, out tonight, says CAM has 16 aircraft awaiting or in conversion: 1 A321 (which we see sitting outside the Airborne hangar in TPA) and 15 767s.

I've got 13 767s as of end of September; wondering if you can tell me what I'm missing. I think I need two, but maybe there are more.

N399AN (finished conversion at TLV 10/1, and went into service later, so I think it counts in the 15). Now G-DHLC.
N398AN (was at TLV until 10/26). To be N257AZ.
N397AN (still at TLV). To be N251AZ.
N396AN (still at TLV).
N391CM (was JA606A from ANA). FADEC engines. (still at TLV)
N390CM (was JA604A from ANA). FADEC engines. (still at TLV)
N203CM (was C-GSCA). (at ILN 7/15-10/23/21, now at TLV)
N152DL (at ILN since 6/26/21)
N154DL (at ILN since 9/18/21)
N900UD (at ILN since 9/5/21) PW4060s.
N898CU (bought 7/1/21; at ILN since 10/7/21) PW4060s
N155DL (at MZJ)
N156DL (at SBD)

Thanks in advance!!

wjcandee

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:50 am

The ATSG 3Q report, when looking ahead, indicates that one 767 is going to be delivered next year rather than this year due to "supply chain disruptions" re parts necessary for conversion. That may be the IAI slippage I was talking about.

Interestingly, the 4 BCF slots start in 3Q 2022. 3Q starts in July. That's 8-ish months from now. I still wonder whether that's new business or a concern that IAI isn't going to be able to meet all its 2022 commitments.

https://www.atsginc.com/sites/atsg-inc/ ... esults.pdf

LifelinerOne

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:11 am

So, who are these guys?

wjcandee

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 am

LifelinerOne wrote:
So, who are these guys?

New cargo carrier based in the UAE. That's their one current aircraft.

UPlog

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:29 pm

FedEx announced will build its Middle East, Indian Subcontinent, and Africa regional air hub at the new Dubai World Central (DWC) airport. New facility will open in 2023

Current DXB airport serves as FX regional gateway with 34 weekly flights.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ar-AAQfc9T
https://www.logisticsmiddleeast.com/log ... b-in-dubai

DLNZ

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:39 pm

Kyrgyzstani jumbo update:
Aerostan EX-47002 has exited its maintenance visit at GMF and is headed north. A nice 6 week stay, and back as peak heats up.
EX-47003 the Sky KG preighter is operating on a TVR call sign today so perhaps picking up some new work for them, or subbing in for ER-BAG which rests at NQZ and I wonder if being maintained at ATG home plate.

TUGMASTER

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:00 am

Gonna link this thread…..just ‘cos i’m 200 centric.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1466437

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:16 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
Gonna link this thread…..just ‘cos i’m 200 centric.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1466437

Good move!! Nicely done thread-starter, although the member didn't have the benefit of all the work done by you and others on this thread to determine when/where these things are actually flying. You helped him a LOT.

MO11

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:55 am

Looks like Elite Airways has started running cargo charters out of Pontiac using a CRJ 200 freighter.

CX747

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:39 am

amdiesen wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Is DHL divesting its b744f lift?, Is DHL divesting/transferring from the Polar (while retaining the Atlas) relationship?

One would speculate that DHL is positioning to move its b744f lift to the upcoming ERSF, the questions will be
- will DHL divest the b748fs, will Atlas ultimately buy them from the partnership?

I wouldn't think DHL would divest for the 300ERSF. I believe they have very strong liking now of brand new 777Fs. It has quickly become a major part of their operations. If they continue to buy 777Fs, I believe it will be new builds. Either additional current models or the 777XF offering Boeing creates.

DHL discussed in the past phasing out the 747-400F in its operations, in favor of the 777F. In the latest agreement with Atlas, there are still (2) 747-400Fs flying via Polar, alongside (6) 747-8Fs and (8) 777Fs.

747-400Fs that leave the JV won't be slumbering on any tarmacs though. As we just saw, FEDEX signed a long term lease with Atlas for (2) 747-400Fs. This is on top of the long standing 4th Quarter lease by FEDEX of (5) 747Fs from Atlas, for Peak Operations.

amdiesen

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:00 am

CX747 wrote:
amdiesen wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I wouldn't think DHL would divest for the 300ERSF. I believe they have very strong liking now of brand new 777Fs. It has quickly become a major part of their operations. If they continue to buy 777Fs, I believe it will be new builds. Either additional current models or the 777XF offering Boeing creates.

DHL discussed in the past phasing out the 747-400F in its operations, in favor of the 777F. In the latest agreement with Atlas, there are still (2) 747-400Fs flying via Polar, alongside (6) 747-8Fs and (8) 777Fs.

747-400Fs that leave the JV won't be slumbering on any tarmacs though. As we just saw, FEDEX signed a long term lease with Atlas for (2) 747-400Fs. This is on top of the long standing 4th Quarter lease by FEDEX of (5) 747Fs from Atlas, for Peak Operations.

viewing DHL and their Lufthansa relationship through this lens:
*They appear to have committed themselves to the 777 platform; coming from a point where Peter Gerber said a number(~5) years ago "we have no offers" lamenting VLA cargo choices to replace his MD11s
*The era of b744 cargo ops is in a surge/bubble from a waning/sun-setting prevailing trend two years ago
*Oil prices are surging for a number of reasons including the concept that it takes significant time to get (old) production (back) online.
*the ERSF now fits both DHL's cargo density and VLA cargo platform business model
thesis to consider: any reputable cargo airline offering ERSF ACMI lift would get a receptive conversation from DHL's outsourcing relationship group, while (as you pointed out) DHL maintains a core b772f fleet

Atlas's going all in on the 747 and Kalitta's hesitancy to go all in on the GE90 powered 777 may be better served as fodder for another thread

*note: this thread is intimately and understandably fixated on current constraints in cargo; if one zooms out on the time dimension, the thesis has perspective
*note2: amazon is likely be a bidder on ERSF ACMI lift as well, supporting the business model/ asset purchase

747classic

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:42 am

FedEx capacity issues :

FedEx seems to have a hard time acquiring standardization parts & kitting for both ex LH MD11F's N647FE & N649FE. Both are now scheduled for late December (too late for the peak ! )

Regarding two other ex LH birds still stored : landing gear is out of time on both N646FE & N648FE, engines on 646 are out of time, so a decision between reactivation and use as spare parts donor will be more difficult.

Also MD10-30F N320FE will get parked in a couple weeks, 23 November C check run out.

On top of that : The last three 777F's did not have the parts available (on time) for the fire suppression system to be installed.

Spacepope

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:00 pm

amdiesen wrote:

Atlas's going all in on the 747 and Kalitta's hesitancy to go all in on the GE90 powered 777 may be better served as fodder for another thread

Kalitta operating many 77Fs and being the launch customer of the 777-300BDSF shows this premise "flawed" at best and false. No need for another thread on that.

Spacepope

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:43 pm

And on the 777 Preighter front, N827KW for Eastern just cruised north of me on delivery to MCI for their conversion work.

amdiesen

Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:26 pm

Spacepope wrote:
amdiesen wrote:

Kalitta operating many 77Fs and being the launch customer of the 777-300BDSF shows this premise "flawed" at best and false. No need for another thread on that.

Kalitta is operating five 777s leased from DHL for DHL, it would be logical to believe that one possible course of action is that the objective is that the five ordered ERSFs are planned to cover a combination, or portion, of this lift and the two aging 744cfs. I anticipate the Kalitta, leased from GE, ERSFs to first replace the DHL 744 work and contingently replace the DHL owned 772Fs, all likely pre-negotiated/road-mapped.

The premise is sound and germane. Kalitta will be best served to continue ordering ERSFs and pick-up used/re-leased 772Fs as they have 10 older 744cfs and need a replacement strategy for the 744F fleet that aligns with Mr Kalitta's sensibilities. Transitioning to the GE90 powered 777 platform will give him a path to maximize engine work/vertical control in house. But importantly give him an competitive edge in bidding for contract work; the 772Fs covering general density- and the ERSFs covering express density+. Certainly Connie Kalitta has agonized over this change in coarse, he has simply been measured in his use of the accelerator... you and I have read through 'less interesting' thread/posts.

Atlas on the other hand will have tied up capex expenditures on the 11 purchased b744 leases, four b748f new builds, and will be stuck/pre-committed when DHL confronts with a B748F/Polar divestment objective. In the horizon is a scenario in which Atlas will be cost based dis-advantaged, Kalitta cost advantaged, in both cargo work negotiations and re-negotiations.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos