Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:26 pm

x

TUSAA

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:08 pm

DFW just had a SGN-FAI-DFW-FAI-SGN cargo run on a Maleth Aero A330-203. Never seen this plane before. 9H-LFS

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:16 pm

TUSAA wrote:
DFW just had a SGN-FAI-DFW-FAI-SGN cargo run on a Maleth Aero A330-203. Never seen this plane before. 9H-LFS

Yeah, it's doing a lot of flying Kiev-Asia, occasionally Asia-Kiev-JFK. Interesting to see how folks are trying to climb aboard the insane freight rates out of Vietnam to the States right now.

Nice catch! Thanks for sharing!!

I had originally said it was a Pfreighter, because some Maleth-Aero birds are, but this was an MRTT prototype that wasn't taken up. It's hard to see what if anything was actually done with it. It was MRTT006, per Planespotters, who do show it as a Preighter. Originally-intended to be used in the US when Airbus initially got that contract, then just registered to Airbus for like 7 years until it was parked. In 2021, purchased by AELF and operated by Maleth-Aero.

CX747

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:41 pm

Spacepope wrote:
And on the 777 Preighter front, N827KW for Eastern just cruised north of me on delivery to MCI for their conversion work.

Glad to hear the offering is closer to reality....so we can see how it does in the wild.

I know we all have differing opinions on Eastern's 777F offering. I can't help but think of the Billy Joel song, "You may be right, I may be crazy but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for."

IF they have read the market correctly, they have a good shot at winning a ton of business with great 777s.. That excites me, imagine the iconic name with some credibility operating 15 777PFs?. As they say in NASCAR, "You can't win the race by following the leader".
Last edited by CX747 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPlog

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Back on 10/22 National N756CA had a bad day at Muwaffaq Air Base Jordan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDiaqFBX0Aw ... name=large

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:51 pm

UPlog wrote:
Back on 10/22 National N756CA had a bad day at Muwaffaq Air Base Jordan

Well, that explains what we had been wondering about: why didn't it come back from its last Camber flight?

Did the wing hit something (or something hit the wing)? That rip in the skin above the wing looks Not Good.

Too bad; this was the aircraft used in the Air Clips cockpit series on National. Let's hope Captain Enrique or FO Casie weren't flying.

Oddly, there's nothing on this in the FAA's ASIAS.

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Or perhaps a very-hard landing on the port wing gear?

Spacepope

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Or perhaps a very-hard landing on the port wing gear?

Lots of that damage looks inline with the outboard wheel set of the wing gear bogie. I’d wonder if tire tread dint try to depart the flight early.

Not sure how the area above tHe wing got dinged, but that’s all composite fairing so should be pretty easy to repair. Not like it’s sister ship in Morocco not too long ago.

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:42 pm

Twitter has at least one explanation for this. Unconfirmed report is that the aircraft tried to taxi out for departure without ground equipment being removed. https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/14 ... 4274618369

Gotta say, the explanation fits. But it's not one that would have immediately come to mind.

wjcandee

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:03 pm

Sky Taxi's leased-from-CAM 767-200 SP-MRF, which they've been operating for about 3 years, just did a test flight today at ILN. It had been at ILN since 9/11/21. I assumed it was home for maintenance rather than a lease return, given that Sky Taxi (WAW-based) has been growing as it operates for DHL and others. Last month, Sky Taxi began flying as SP-MRE a CAM lease return from DHX which had once been N796AX (A9C-DHJ at DHX).

And it appears that Sky Taxi may take (or may have taken) what was A9C-DHM, which flew to WAW on 6/29/21. It hasn't flown under its old HEX code since then, and the public databases have nothing new. Poland doesn't seem to maintain a searchable registry on its government site.

Anyway, one more 762 back in business after 2 months of TLC at ILN.

eightcone

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 pm

Questions on the National mishap for our resident 747 experts in the thread.

The photo seems to support the report of ground equipment damage during taxi. In the photo the National 747 is centered up on a yellow line. But, it looks like those tires all laid rubber stopping. So assuming she was: 1. taxing out, and 2. that she moderately light (not needing lots of fuel to get to Germany, nor carrying much military freight outbound), 3. That those are rubber tracks from stopping, 4. She wasn’t taxing faster than 20-25kts. What would the stopping distance be on a 744 under those conditions?

The photo also seems like it was early in response. Clearly arff isn’t still responding, and measures have been taken against the leaks from the gear. There isn’t a piece of ground equipment in the photo? The step ladder is interesting. The canoe is also interesting, was that its resting spot or did arff drag it out of the way? No sign of the gear door?

TUGMASTER

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:59 am

As for the tyre marks, warm rubber will mark a light concrete surface very easily.
Also warm tyres scrub incredibly easily when pushing , I wouldn’t read too much into the tyre marks .

bigb

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:21 am

amdiesen wrote:
CX747 wrote:
amdiesen wrote:

the remaining three at Polar?
Is DHL divesting its b744f lift?, Is DHL divesting/transferring from the Polar (while retaining the Atlas) relationship?

One would speculate that DHL is positioning to move its b744f lift to the upcoming ERSF, the questions will be
- will DHL divest the b748fs, will Atlas ultimately buy them from the partnership?
- will Kalitta grow as DHL's partner at Atlas's expense?

I wouldn't think DHL would divest for the 300ERSF. I believe they have very strong liking now of brand new 777Fs. It has quickly become a major part of their operations. If they continue to buy 777Fs, I believe it will be new builds. Either additional current models or the 777XF offering Boeing creates.

DHL discussed in the past phasing out the 747-400F in its operations, in favor of the 777F. In the latest agreement with Atlas, there are still (2) 747-400Fs flying via Polar, alongside (6) 747-8Fs and (8) 777Fs.

747-400Fs that leave the JV won't be slumbering on any tarmacs though. As we just saw, FEDEX signed a long term lease with Atlas for (2) 747-400Fs. This is on top of the long standing 4th Quarter lease by FEDEX of (5) 747Fs from Atlas, for Peak Operations.

viewing DHL and their Lufthansa relationship through this lens:
*They appear to have committed themselves to the 777 platform; coming from a point where Peter Gerber said a number(~5) years ago "we have no offers" lamenting VLA cargo choices to replace his MD11s
*The era of b744 cargo ops is in a surge/bubble from a waning/sun-setting prevailing trend two years ago
*Oil prices are surging for a number of reasons including the concept that it takes significant time to get (old) production (back) online.
*the ERSF now fits both DHL's cargo density and VLA cargo platform business model
thesis to consider: any reputable cargo airline offering ERSF ACMI lift would get a receptive conversation from DHL's outsourcing relationship group, while (as you pointed out) DHL maintains a core b772f fleet

Atlas's going all in on the 747 and Kalitta's hesitancy to go all in on the GE90 powered 777 may be better served as fodder for another thread

*note: this thread is intimately and understandably fixated on current constraints in cargo; if one zooms out on the time dimension, the thesis has perspective
*note2: amazon is likely be a bidder on ERSF ACMI lift as well, supporting the business model/ asset purchase

I wouldn’t say Atlas is going all in on the 747. Atlas already understands that the 777 is the future growth plane of the airline. There are a lot of moving pieces moving around at the moment with the Atlas and Southern SOC happening this month. After November 17th, there will no longer be a Southern Air and I believe you will growth on the 777 with Atlas moving forward.

All Atlas is doing is purchasing their 747s as they come off of leases to meet the demands of their current customers and cleaning up their books for future aircraft acquisitions which would be my hunch.

dtw9

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm

Looks like N832US is scheduled for delivery today to USA Jet

tofen

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Aeronaves TSM has acquired a dash-8, their first of the type. A 31 year old -100 series previously with Piedmont as N838EX.
It will be interesting to see what they're going to use it for. If it will be some kind of baby preighter or if they'll put it though a more extensive conversion despite it's age.

Spacepope

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:15 pm

tofen wrote:
Aeronaves TSM has acquired a dash-8, their first of the type. A 31 year old -100 series previously with Piedmont as N838EX.
It will be interesting to see what they're going to use it for. If it will be some kind of baby preighter or if they'll put it though a more extensive conversion despite it's age.

Hopefully it goes full freighter. The conversion has been around for a number of years and the Dash 8 has an insanely high cycle life so could be flown decades longer in the auto parts market. https://skiesmag.com/news/voyageur-unve ... onversion/

CX747

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:25 pm

bigb wrote:
amdiesen wrote:
CX747 wrote:

I wouldn't think DHL would divest for the 300ERSF. I believe they have very strong liking now of brand new 777Fs. It has quickly become a major part of their operations. If they continue to buy 777Fs, I believe it will be new builds. Either additional current models or the 777XF offering Boeing creates.

DHL discussed in the past phasing out the 747-400F in its operations, in favor of the 777F. In the latest agreement with Atlas, there are still (2) 747-400Fs flying via Polar, alongside (6) 747-8Fs and (8) 777Fs.

747-400Fs that leave the JV won't be slumbering on any tarmacs though. As we just saw, FEDEX signed a long term lease with Atlas for (2) 747-400Fs. This is on top of the long standing 4th Quarter lease by FEDEX of (5) 747Fs from Atlas, for Peak Operations.

viewing DHL and their Lufthansa relationship through this lens:
*They appear to have committed themselves to the 777 platform; coming from a point where Peter Gerber said a number(~5) years ago "we have no offers" lamenting VLA cargo choices to replace his MD11s
*The era of b744 cargo ops is in a surge/bubble from a waning/sun-setting prevailing trend two years ago
*Oil prices are surging for a number of reasons including the concept that it takes significant time to get (old) production (back) online.
*the ERSF now fits both DHL's cargo density and VLA cargo platform business model
thesis to consider: any reputable cargo airline offering ERSF ACMI lift would get a receptive conversation from DHL's outsourcing relationship group, while (as you pointed out) DHL maintains a core b772f fleet

Atlas's going all in on the 747 and Kalitta's hesitancy to go all in on the GE90 powered 777 may be better served as fodder for another thread

*note: this thread is intimately and understandably fixated on current constraints in cargo; if one zooms out on the time dimension, the thesis has perspective
*note2: amazon is likely be a bidder on ERSF ACMI lift as well, supporting the business model/ asset purchase

I wouldn’t say Atlas is going all in on the 747. Atlas already understands that the 777 is the future growth plane of the airline. There are a lot of moving pieces moving around at the moment with the Atlas and Southern SOC happening this month. After November 17th, there will no longer be a Southern Air and I believe you will growth on the 777 with Atlas moving forward.

All Atlas is doing is purchasing their 747s as they come off of leases to meet the demands of their current customers and cleaning up their books for future aircraft acquisitions which would be my hunch.

Correct, Atlas is just securing 747s that they already operated and cleaning up the balance sheet. Definite need, a specialized asset and an asset that everyone wants but nobody can find now. A no brainer to buy outright. Overall, the 747-400F is a workhorse and far more affordable than new 777Fs or even the 777-300ERSF.

777Fs are on property and I believe stand at 9 airframes. The Triple is the way of the future for Atlas but for at least the next decade plus, the 747F will remain the majority of the backbone. I would love to see Atlas be a launch customer for the 777XF but I don't know if the, need is currently there at the moment. I've seen tea leaves of a Purple launch order and maybe The Flying Crane for the new Boeing but not anything on the Golden Man carrying the World.

Atlas was very good at picking up used 747-400Fs in the last 4-5 years (Led to the cease in production of the 747-8F in a way). We all like shiny new things but overall a used 747-400F costs a heck of a lot less than a 777F, 748F or the Airbus 330/350F offerings. It also operates in the same league as both its twin engined sibling and new generation self. Buying a jet for $12 million is a world away from $200 million.

eightcone

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:47 pm

dtw9 wrote:

It was sitting facing out in the middle of the alleyway last night. Looking pretty in her glossy new paint.

‘35, ‘36, and 37’ are all still outside. Interesting to see what comes out of the hanger when ‘35 rolls in. I would think ‘33 logically.

wjcandee

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 pm

CX747 wrote:
Buying a jet for $12 million is a world away from $200 million.

That $188 million difference in capital cost can cover a lot of maintenance and the delta in fuel burn per ton-mile.

I'll chime in and say that often there is an agreed purchase price at the end of the lease. If so, it's almost certainly below the present market value for 744Fs. If there's no agreed price, I can also see why a leasing company might still prefer to sell the frame to Atlas. Yes, they could re-lease it to someone at an exorbitant price for say the next year or two, but after that -- who knows? There was a reason there were all those Atlas 744s parked in the desert or returned from lease just two years ago. That's how (gawd) Western Global ended up with N258SN. Factory-freaking-F, low-ish time. Atlas sold it to WGN from the desert. And you know WGN doesn't buy stuff that isn't a deal. A year or less later, things changed, and that looks like a freighter Atlas would be flying right now if it had held on to it. But the conventional wisdom at the time was that 744s were giant fuel-sucking dinosaurs whose market value was stuck on an endless Down elevator. It was the right decision for Atlas at the time. It just wasn't the right decision, as things turned out.

That's why, by the way, whenever I see some media article that says, "If present trends continue...", I know whatever Horrors they are predicting will not manifest as expected, because the only certain thing is that "present trends" in anything NEVER continue.

dtw9

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:36 pm

eightcone wrote:
dtw9 wrote:

It was sitting facing out in the middle of the alleyway last night. Looking pretty in her glossy new paint.

‘35, ‘36, and 37’ are all still outside. Interesting to see what comes out of the hanger when ‘35 rolls in. I would think ‘33 logically.

It flew a short hop yesterday and a little over an hour this morning. Just arrived at Yip 20 minutes ago

Cardude2

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:15 pm

Spacepope wrote:
tofen wrote:

Hopefully it goes full freighter. The conversion has been around for a number of years and the Dash 8 has an insanely high cycle life so could be flown decades longer in the auto parts market. https://skiesmag.com/news/voyageur-unve ... onversion/

there is also de Haviland themselves https://dehavilland.com/en/news/posts/d ... 0-aircraft

CX747

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:09 am

wjcandee wrote:
CX747 wrote:

That $188 million difference in capital cost can cover a lot of maintenance and the delta in fuel burn per ton-mile.

I'll chime in and say that often there is an agreed purchase price at the end of the lease. If so, it's almost certainly below the present market value for 744Fs. If there's no agreed price, I can also see why a leasing company might still prefer to sell the frame to Atlas. Yes, they could re-lease it to someone at an exorbitant price for say the next year or two, but after that -- who knows? There was a reason there were all those Atlas 744s parked in the desert or returned from lease just two years ago. That's how (gawd) Western Global ended up with N258SN. Factory-freaking-F, low-ish time. Atlas sold it to WGN from the desert. And you know WGN doesn't buy stuff that isn't a deal. A year or less later, things changed, and that looks like a freighter Atlas would be flying right now if it had held on to it. But the conventional wisdom at the time was that 744s were giant fuel-sucking dinosaurs whose market value was stuck on an endless Down elevator. It was the right decision for Atlas at the time. It just wasn't the right decision, as things turned out.

That's why, by the way, whenever I see some media article that says, "If present trends continue...", I know whatever Horrors they are predicting will not manifest as expected, because the only certain thing is that "present trends" in anything NEVER continue.

Yes, someone at Atlas is kicking themselves that they sold a factory produced 747F to Western. I know for sure there would be some good natured ribbing about that call at this time. Maybe even a call sign change to, "Einstein" or "Eureka" in pointy nose places.

The 747-400Fs that have been purchased in the last year or so by Atlas include N485MC, N486MC, N487MC, N408MC, N445MC, N446MC. Several ex EVA and Korean Air birds in that group that can now roost in the considerably warmer Miami. If we say that overall, each was $10 million to purchase, then you have 6 747Fs for $60 million.

With that said, the original 747-400F for Atlas, oh where oh where do we find her this evening. Originally N491MC and delivered in July of 98. Headed off to the United Kingdom and worked for British Airways as G-GSSB in the 01/02 timeframe. Back from service to Her Majesty, in 2011. Since then carrying a Stars & Stripes tail number of N475MC and working for a living.

This evening we find her descending through 23,000ft at 444mph on arrival to Viracopos International Airport, in Brazil. Closing out a Sunday of yeoman service having run MIA-BOG-MIA-VCP. Not to shabby for a 23 year old bird.
Last edited by CX747 on Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepope

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:17 am

Cardude2 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
tofen wrote:

there is also de Haviland themselves https://dehavilland.com/en/news/posts/d ... 0-aircraft

Crazy that the De Haviland freighter has just half the payload of the Voyageur one, 5000 vs. 10000 pounds, which is quite significant.

Aeronaves has connections with AvMax though, so I’m sure that was a possibility to make a great deal to get the -100s off property and converted.

With the Voyageur conversion, it competes directly with the Saab 340 and EMB-120 freighters other auto parts suppliers are operating, and their Metros and CV-640s aren’t going to last forever.

MO11

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:00 am

Spacepope wrote:
tofen wrote:

Actually, it acquired two, both from Avmax. The package freighter conversion offered by DHC is not very extensive.

Spacepope

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 am

MO11 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
tofen wrote:

Actually, it acquired two, both from Avmax. The package freighter conversion offered by DHC is not very extensive.

Indeed, the DHC conversion looks to be a light Preighter conversion using nets in place of seats, but retaining things like galleys, FA seats and washrooms.

HPRamper

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:57 pm

747classic wrote:
FedEx capacity issues :

FedEx seems to have a hard time acquiring standardization parts & kitting for both ex LH MD11F's N647FE & N649FE. Both are now scheduled for late December (too late for the peak ! )

Regarding two other ex LH birds still stored : landing gear is out of time on both N646FE & N648FE, engines on 646 are out of time, so a decision between reactivation and use as spare parts donor will be more difficult.

Also MD10-30F N320FE will get parked in a couple weeks, 23 November C check run out.

On top of that : The last three 777F's did not have the parts available (on time) for the fire suppression system to be installed.

FedEx sounds downright Western Global-esque right now. We are not looking forward to peak - issues across the board, mostly boiling down to staffing in one way or another. Supply chain down to loading the aircraft. The doom and gloom from Wall Street is justified. Their race to the bottom while UPS invested in their workforce is reflected in the performance of both right now.

Spacepope

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:08 pm

HPRamper wrote:
747classic wrote:
FedEx capacity issues :

FedEx seems to have a hard time acquiring standardization parts & kitting for both ex LH MD11F's N647FE & N649FE. Both are now scheduled for late December (too late for the peak ! )

Regarding two other ex LH birds still stored : landing gear is out of time on both N646FE & N648FE, engines on 646 are out of time, so a decision between reactivation and use as spare parts donor will be more difficult.

Also MD10-30F N320FE will get parked in a couple weeks, 23 November C check run out.

On top of that : The last three 777F's did not have the parts available (on time) for the fire suppression system to be installed.

FedEx sounds downright Western Global-esque right now. We are not looking forward to peak - issues across the board, mostly boiling down to staffing in one way or another. Supply chain down to loading the aircraft. The doom and gloom from Wall Street is justified. Their race to the bottom while UPS invested in their workforce is reflected in the performance of both right now.

Bloomberg had a look at the staffing issues between Brown and Purple this past weekend. Some nuggets are investors unhappy with staffing shortages at Purple (including a look at their Portland sorting hub being only 65% staffed) and contrasting Purple's heavy use of contractors. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -fedex-fdx

For both Brown and Purple, we are very near their air fleets going to the dance with what they got for peak. Perhaps the reopening of the US borders will add belly freight capacity and free up a few freighters for domestic, but we'll see just how smoothly these next 6 or 7 weeks go.

As for the FedEx MD-11 issues and the 2 airframes with timed out engines and gear: It should be noted that these were not a surprise to the fleet managers. They didn't just go kick the tires at VCV and say "I didn't know these vita parts were all used up". It's a signal that the supply chain issues run super deep right now, and the fact that they didn't send these engines and gears to overhaul over the past year is a sign that there might not even be excess capacity to add them into the workload at all.

MO11

Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Spacepope wrote:

Aeronaves has connections with AvMax though, so I’m sure that was a possibility to make a great deal to get the -100s off property and converted.

With the Voyageur conversion, it competes directly with the Saab 340 and EMB-120 freighters other auto parts suppliers are operating, and their Metros and CV-640s aren’t going to last forever.

Maybe unrelated, but VTM had been running a Convair between Hermosillo and Phoenix for UPS. On one August day on the trip back to HMO, it air returned to PHX. As far as I can tell, that airplane is still here; the UPS trip has been using a CRJ since.

Spacepope

Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:31 pm

MO11 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Maybe unrelated, but VTM had been running a Convair between Hermosillo and Phoenix for UPS. On one August day on the trip back to HMO, it air returned to PHX. As far as I can tell, that airplane is still here; the UPS trip has been using a CRJ since.

We all love those Convair 640s but I'm just astounded they can keep those old Darts running on them. The 580s at least have the whole T56 logistical tail for thousands of in service engines to help them out.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 am

CX747 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
CX747 wrote:

Yes, someone at Atlas is kicking themselves that they sold a factory produced 747F to Western. I know for sure there would be some good natured ribbing about that call at this time. Maybe even a call sign change to, "Einstein" or "Eureka" in pointy nose places.

Just a quick update on 258SN that she is back in service after a 15 day hiatus in HKG after the air-return. So 258 & 344KD in service on TPAC, 356 at SHV since 10/02 and new ship 452 also at SHV in conformity. They haven't done any military stuff with the 744s for quite some time. Not surprising (although they do have a MD often on Camber runs) given the state of the fleet of late, but National are going strong, with generally 1-2 ships on CMB duty at any one time. That said, they will be very tight for a while with 756's current grounding in Jordan.

Another couple of notable mentions, WGN's newest MD acquisitions are on the move. N781SN which left it's former home of FRA back on 08/31 and been in MX at TPE lit up a couple times in the last few days, so perhaps delivery and entry into service imminent. I just hope she doesn't go into the black hole at SHV like her 744 sibling for too long. I'm sure purple would contract them for more work in peak given the issues highlighted lately?

N783SN, the last ex-LH machine (D-ALCC) has now arrived at TPE also, so she will likely miss peak for WGN.

Mesk Air 9H-MSK (ex N282JM) which ferried to IST a month or so back is not up and running, operating to Malta home base and on to OST yesterday for what looks like entry into service.

Our friends at AeroTransCargo have re-registered ex-TG machine ER-BBE to YR-FSA for Rom Cargo Airlines. The first 747 on the Romanian register I believe. Hope she is in service soon.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:22 am

DLNZ: Great info!! Good to see a plan for BBE. And glad to see WGN still using TPE for the heaviest stuff.

I think a key issue for any WGN expansion is going to be the number of Pilots. I think that that is likely already behind some of the planes sitting around at times. (But not usually!)

DLNZ

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:37 am

wjcandee wrote:
DLNZ: Great info!! Good to see a plan for BBE. And glad to see WGN still using TPE for the heaviest stuff.

I think a key issue for any WGN expansion is going to be the number of Pilots. I think that that is likely already behind some of the planes sitting around at times. (But not usually!)

I think you're right re: their crews. From a few folks and official pages I interact with on IG/LinkedIn and so on I've been able to glean a little info. WGN made 6 MD11 captain upgrades and inducted 5 new 744 F/Os a month ago (per LinkedIn post). Whether they are all growth for the new fleet or replacing some retirements etc I don't know. Probably a combination of both. Like you, I always sense they could do more flying but are resource limited across crew & operational reliability.
Two months earlier they had inducted four new 744 Capts/FOs, and seven for the MD fleet.

CX747

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:18 am

Spacepope wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
747classic wrote:
FedEx capacity issues :

Bloomberg had a look at the staffing issues between Brown and Purple this past weekend. Some nuggets are investors unhappy with staffing shortages at Purple (including a look at their Portland sorting hub being only 65% staffed) and contrasting Purple's heavy use of contractors. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -fedex-fdx

For both Brown and Purple, we are very near their air fleets going to the dance with what they got for peak. Perhaps the reopening of the US borders will add belly freight capacity and free up a few freighters for domestic, but we'll see just how smoothly these next 6 or 7 weeks go.

As for the FedEx MD-11 issues and the 2 airframes with timed out engines and gear: It should be noted that these were not a surprise to the fleet managers. They didn't just go kick the tires at VCV and say "I didn't know these vita parts were all used up". It's a signal that the supply chain issues run super deep right now, and the fact that they didn't send these engines and gears to overhaul over the past year is a sign that there might not even be excess capacity to add them into the workload at all.

On the Brown side, I believe the fleet is ready to dance. A few 747-8Fs short but the Brown boss lady didn't ask for my opinion.

On the Purple side, it is frustrating to see unforced errors in fleet planning. As you stated, these issues were not unknown to management. The MD-11 Fleet Personnel had better be looked at pretty hard, because this could completely be all on them. It could also be, MD-11s are hard to bring back and find parts for, no matter if you are FEDEX or WGN!!! Truly hope Purple calls upon the 777-XF. The ability in a few years to have a massive homogenous 767F fleet, and one pilot base for 50 777Fs and plug & play 777XFs really looks good.

CX747

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
Things are really heating up with logistic line.....

JD.com launches own cargo airline:- JD Logistics plans its own air freight arm with fleet of 100 freighters

https://theloadstar.com/jd-logistics-pl ... reighters/

Frustrated by the global supply chain crisis, China’s JD Logistics has ambitions to acquire “no fewer than” 100 freighters by 2030.

In the second quarter, the logistics unit of e-commerce giant JD.com launched its first self-operated charter flight, between Shenzhen and Bangkok, to tap into South-east Asia’s huge cross-border e-commerce growth.

Currently, the airline is making use of capacity from airlines like Hainan Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines and Loong Air. By 2030, however, JD Logistics, wants to have its own fleet of no less than 100 aircraft. It's first aircraft will be B737-800BCF B-221L (MSN 32687, ex-Xiamen Airlines), which is almost ready for delivery and will be leased from GECAS.

Fun fact...JD.com signed an agreement with our rough and tumble 747F friends of Aerotranscargo. Aerotranscargo will conduct thrice weekly flights between HFE and LHR via the charter agreement.

NQZ is still the crown jewel of the Empire and will see the JD.com flights use the field. NQZ checks in at a balmy 28 degrees Farenheit on the ramp this morning.

Just cause, here is ER-BBJ not to long ago wearing the new corporate livery.

FlapOperator

Re: Air Cargo (no-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:56 am

CX747 wrote:

On the Purple side, it is frustrating to see unforced errors in fleet planning. As you stated, these issues were not unknown to management. The MD-11 Fleet Personnel had better be looked at pretty hard, because this could completely be all on them. It could also be, MD-11s are hard to bring back and find parts for, no matter if you are FEDEX or WGN!!! Truly hope Purple calls upon the 777-XF. The ability in a few years to have a massive homogenous 767F fleet, and one pilot base for 50 777Fs and plug & play 777XFs really looks good.

On the Fedex side, I don't know if that's completely fair...In January 2020, the plan was the MD-10 sundown, the A300 starting to sundown with the 310s parked, and the MD-11 on a glidepath to retirement.

Now, my friends are saying that new hires are being dumped into the A300 and MD11 fleets as fast as the LCAs can train them, while the 757/767/777 continue to face the double demands of both growth and attrition. The MD-10 will be sustained with a minimum fleet to December 2022 (with the knock-on requirements of sustaining sims/manuals/maintenance/tracking/etc.) The MD-11 is in the fleet plan basically indefinitely now (2030s.) Oh, and a that's a turn-around, and aircraft were purchased/woken up from the desert, so the fleet size, expected to dwindle, has increased with a concurrent demand signal for more bodies.

Honestly, I think Fedex is going to a five fleet type airline for a long time, or even more as a 757 replacement needs a hard look. As far as bases, I don't think an ONT, DXB, KIX or CRK would be surprising. To support a NB/767/777 fleet plan, there would have to be significant system form change, with lots more concrete poured nearly everywhere and diversification away from MEM as the center of the universe.

wjcandee

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:07 am

This is a great discussion! If they're keeping the MDs another 9 years, then certain investments will not be questioned.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:41 am

CX747 wrote:

Fun fact...JD.com signed an agreement with our rough and tumble 747F friends of Aerotranscargo. Aerotranscargo will conduct thrice weekly flights between HFE and LHR via the charter agreement.

NQZ is still the crown jewel of the Empire and will see the JD.com flights use the field. NQZ checks in at a balmy 28 degrees Farenheit on the ramp this morning.

Awesome! This is an ideal use for their newest ship N27063 which is currently at CGK being readied for service. She has been there for two months now so perhaps getting closer to the unveiling. It's a great livery isn't it.

Scoreboard

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 am

"N783SN, the last ex-LH machine (D-ALCC) has now arrived at TPE also, so she will likely miss peak for WGN."

From a photo on another site, taken in Seoul, N783SN has had Lufthansa titles and logos removed, but still wears the "Thank You MD-11, Farewell" sticker. Ironic, based on how well other MD-11s react to joining Western Global!

747classic

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:56 am

Scoreboard wrote:
"N783SN, the last ex-LH machine (D-ALCC) has now arrived at TPE also, so she will likely miss peak for WGN."

From a photo on another site, taken in Seoul, N783SN has had Lufthansa titles and logos removed, but still wears the "Thank You MD-11, Farewell" sticker. Ironic, based on how well other MD-11s react to joining Western Global!

N781SN (ex D-ALCA) is still in TPE for Maintenance at EGAT.
She arrived more than two months ago (also without LH titles) at September 2th 2021.
Hopefully N781SN will be ready before the peak.

NG263

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:01 am

Surprisingly N784SN, the first one of the last 3 LH frames acquired by WGN back in June, is still sitting in FRA. Have not seen her outside, suspect she sits in the hangar on the south side. Wonder why this bird has not yet left FRA.

747classic

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:36 am

IMHO WGN has acquired more MD11's than it can digest at the moment.
First they have to be allowed to grow beyond the current fleet limit of 19 aircraft, see : https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/f ... e-removed/
Seen the dispatch rate and aircraft availability of the current WGN fleet, I would have second thoughts, but i'm not an inspector, employed at the US Department of Transportation (DoT)

Perhaps a quick sale of one or more stored WGN MD11's to UPS or FedEx could reduce the strain on WGN's maintenance department.

LAXintl

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:00 pm

A little more detail about ATSG A330 plans announced earlier in the year. During their Q3 earnings call state, they aim to convert 20 A330s with the first customer deployment in early 2024.
Also on call was mentioned CAM has already purchased its first A321 frame and intends to use PEMCO's facilities in TPA and with delivery and placement with customers in 2022.

MO11

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Hawaiian started running a pre-dawn A330 trip from HNL to OGG on November 1. May be a "Preighter". It ferries back. Looks like the loss of the 737 lift is too much.

Revelation

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:50 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
As far as bases, I don't think an ONT, DXB, KIX or CRK would be surprising. To support a NB/767/777 fleet plan, there would have to be significant system form change, with lots more concrete poured nearly everywhere and diversification away from MEM as the center of the universe.

Your post made me recall https://newsroom.fedex.com/newsroom/fed ... l-air-hub/ from a week ago:

In the presence of HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, president of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, chairman and chief executive of Emirates Airlines and Group and chairman of Dubai Airports; FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) and the world’s largest express transportation company, signed an agreement with Dubai South to build its new regional hub for the Middle East, Indian Subcontinent and Africa (MEISA) region at the Logistics District.

Located in proximity to Dubai World Central Airport (DWC), the new FedEx Express regional hub at Dubai South will incorporate state-of-the-art technologies to support the company’s regional and global networks and increase operational efficiencies to meet growing trade demands within the MEISA region.

Suggests growth will be at DWC rather than DXB. I guess stuff that comes/goes out of DXB will get trucked over. We used to read posts here saying that such double handling would be problematic. I guess FX is not that reliant on belly freight.

dorn12

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:05 pm

747classic wrote:
Scoreboard wrote:

N781SN (ex D-ALCA) is still in TPE for Maintenance at EGAT.
She arrived more than two months ago (also without LH titles) at September 2th 2021.
Hopefully N781SN will be ready before the peak.

Flew out of TPE yesterday, N781SN is fully painted in WGA colors.

HPRamper

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 am

Revelation wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:
As far as bases, I don't think an ONT, DXB, KIX or CRK would be surprising. To support a NB/767/777 fleet plan, there would have to be significant system form change, with lots more concrete poured nearly everywhere and diversification away from MEM as the center of the universe.

Your post made me recall https://newsroom.fedex.com/newsroom/fed ... l-air-hub/ from a week ago:

In the presence of HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, president of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, chairman and chief executive of Emirates Airlines and Group and chairman of Dubai Airports; FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) and the world’s largest express transportation company, signed an agreement with Dubai South to build its new regional hub for the Middle East, Indian Subcontinent and Africa (MEISA) region at the Logistics District.

Located in proximity to Dubai World Central Airport (DWC), the new FedEx Express regional hub at Dubai South will incorporate state-of-the-art technologies to support the company’s regional and global networks and increase operational efficiencies to meet growing trade demands within the MEISA region.

Suggests growth will be at DWC rather than DXB. I guess stuff that comes/goes out of DXB will get trucked over. We used to read posts here saying that such double handling would be problematic. I guess FX is not that reliant on belly freight.

In that region, FX is totally reliant on belly freight though. They don't have a single flight to the continent of Africa.
Is DWC going to operate in conjunction with DXB? I thought it was a replacement. In any case, there's very little chance FX will use both. All air ops will be shifted to DWC.

747classic

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:17 am

dorn12 wrote:

Flew out of TPE yesterday, N781SN is fully painted in WGA colors.

But she hasn't been seen flying at any flight tracker, only Radarbox indicates some small taxi (or error) movements at the TPE appron 4 days ago.
See : https://www.radarbox.com/data/registration/N781SN

flyguy1

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:18 am

HPRamper wrote:
Revelation wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

In that region, FX is totally reliant on belly freight though. They don't have a single flight to the continent of Africa.
Is DWC going to operate in conjunction with DXB? I thought it was a replacement. In any case, there's very little chance FX will use both. All air ops will be shifted to DWC.

Interestingly enough, there does appear to be a flight into JNB once a week on FX. Routing is DXB-JNB, and JNB-DXB-MXP-MEM.

NG263

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Ch-Aviation reports that Astral Aviation will pick up 3 757s previously operated by ATI. Will come from the batch of 4 that ATI recently retired. Regs are N605DL, N620DL, N557CM & N531UA. 2 of these (N557CM & N605DL) are stored at HGR and over in the SoCal Boneyard thread it is being reported that there has been a flight plan filed for a yet unknown 757 from HGR to VCV. I would presume that it has to be one of those 2 frames. Glad to see these frames finding a new home, would have bet that they would not fly again.

Source: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... freighters

wjcandee

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:23 pm

I thought 620dl, 557cm, and 531ua all went to HGR at once, and then 605DL recently followed them there on 9/2/21. They were definitely all sold.

Funny that Astral bought them; given that CAM leases a 762 to Astral, weird that CAM didn't make a lease or purchase deal with Astral (or maybe it did; maybe it sold them to Astral, but it doesn't seem like it; seems like there was a middleman).

N557CM is on its way to VCV. Maybe for paint.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos