Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:44 am

Looks like ABX is back at full strength for Peak. The one remaining aircraft in maintenance, N371CM, finished up and flew from TPA to CVG on Wednesday. Happened to see it on Captain Steven Markovich's Spotting at TPA video from yesterday. (He's a highly-sought-after fishing charter captain who spots at TPA every morning. He has a colorful delivery that makes his videos fun; maybe some purists don't like it but I love it.) It's at 24:30 on his video. Needs some fresh paint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-XtSrra2I

There are two Airborne (AMES) hangars in TPA, with a United one in between. AMES does almost all types of maintenance for Frontier at TPA (overnight, heavy, drop-in, induction/conformity, the whole shebang), so one hangar usually has lots of Frontier aircraft in and in front of it early in the morning. Captain Markovich knows the names of the various Frontier tail animals. The other AMES hangar seems to have the new United MRO lines that AMES just got hired to do, as well as things like this ABX maintenance and others. They'll also be converting the A321 that is parked by one of the hangars. Interesting how much Frontier, Spirit and Southwest we see at TPA.

DL757NYC

Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:27 pm

wjcandee wrote:
DLNZ wrote:
I wonder if WGN have positioned an aircraft as an operational spare at ANC for a period of time?

ANOTHER OPTIMIST! I just love how participants in this thread are such positive people. Seriously. Makes my heart warm. I think your thoughts on this are excellent and well-reasoned. And if this were, say, ATI or GTI, I might say, "That's an interesting possibility!" But it's WGN, so, if I were a betting man, I would bet that she was broken. But we'll see!!

DLNZ wrote:
I've seen N781SN with all engines in situ and being towed around the ramp, so she might not be far away from joining her SHV colleagues.

Cool! Maybe we'll get lucky and see her fly soon!

DLNZ wrote:
747s 356 & 452 remain there under some sort of work. Surprised as they are at risk of missing peak.

Given that 452SN has just been renovated at a top MRO shop, hopefully it's just a matter of getting the paperwork in order and such and she'll be out soon. 356KD, we'll just have to see.

DLNZ wrote:
I was thrilled with the report of 756CA being alive and ferrying to HHN, awesome. National have swapped out 936 from Brown duty over the weekend, replaced by 952. A couple of their machines were at SIN & KUL earlier this morning, which is new, and interesting.

Good catches, all! And here's hoping that 756 will be back on the line, soon.

Also, speaking of National, if you haven't seen Sam Chui's (I know...) video of the National relief-supply mission he flew on this summer, it's pretty-spectacular. Flying into Kathmandu, Nepal, in a 747 (in this case N919CA) loaded with cargo is pretty-amazing. I wish he had given us more AirClips-style video of the approach, because it's incredible. Mountains all around, a 5.31-degree descent angle to MDA, followed at 3 percent, so you have a lot of kinetic energy to burn off at landing, put it in reverse the instant the autospoilers deploy on the ground, and Autobrakes 4 all the way. The National captain made it look easy. The Nepalese folks at the airport treated everyone like kings, and it was sweet to see the little gifts they gave the crew (and Sam!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSVglZH8bI Worth a few minutes.

Sam spends most of his time talking to the flights attendants and reviewing the food. He had an opportunity to really get into the technical aspect. The guys at air clips they really have good relationships with carriers it’s impressive the access they get. They were doing this before YouTube was very popular.

MO11

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Looks like ABX is back at full strength for Peak. The one remaining aircraft in maintenance, N371CM, finished up and flew from TPA to CVG on Wednesday. Happened to see it on Captain Steven Markovich's Spotting at TPA video from yesterday. (He's a highly-sought-after fishing charter captain who spots at TPA every morning. He has a colorful delivery that makes his videos fun; maybe some purists don't like it but I love it.) It's at 24:30 on his video. Needs some fresh paint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-XtSrra2I

Looks like the ABX -300 is scheduled to fly CAE-SDF, SDF-MHR. MHR-CAE for UPS next week. The -200 will due an overnight MIA-PHL trip, then ferry to MCO, then do MCO-DFW-MIA during the day.

gabik001

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:22 am

Anyone knows what happened to 9H-BIG? Aircraft departed from ANC to RFD today morning but get on holding pattern just after departure on the west side of ANC (possibly to burn a fuel and run checklist) and returned to ANC after hour from departure.

wjcandee

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Signs of life over at Western Global. "New" 744F N452SN was scheduled to fly to RSW from SHV today, although it looks like it may have been cancelled. Still, progress!

Especially-important now that 744F N344KD just flew yesterday to SHV, and N356KD has been there almost 2 months. Only N258SN, a factory-F that WGN craftily purchased from Atlas just before Covid, seems to be running reliably.

Speaking of reliability, here's the MD11 report:
411SN at SHV since 10/15
543JN at MEM since 9/28
546JN broken at ANC since 11/12/21. Seems like the issue may be serious, which is weird given that it was in maint at SHV for a long time until recently.

412SN, 415JN, 512JN, 513SN, 581JN, 799JN, 542KD, and 545JN appear to be flyable.

804SN and 435KD appear to be toast, having been at SHV literally for years.
The ones from LH I don't even check; someone will post I'm sure when/if they actually start flying.

Spacepope

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 am

wjcandee wrote:
Signs of life over at Western Global. "New" 744F N452SN was scheduled to fly to RSW from SHV today, although it looks like it may have been cancelled. Still, progress!

Especially-important now that 744F N344KD just flew yesterday to SHV, and N356KD has been there almost 2 months. Only N258SN, a factory-F that WGN craftily purchased from Atlas just before Covid, seems to be running reliably.

411SN at SHV since 10/15
543JN at MEM since 9/28
546JN broken at ANC since 11/12/21. Seems like the issue may be serious, which is weird given that it was in maint at SHV for a long time until recently.

412SN, 415JN, 512JN, 513SN, 581JN, 799JN, 542KD, and 545JN appear to be flyable.

The ones from LH I don't even check; someone will post I'm sure when/if they actually start flying.

From what I saw driving the entire length of Kansas today: it’s going to be a weird shipping season. Not many big rigs out, lots of people driving and hauling their earlybought holiday gifts back with them. It’s gonna be another week or so to see how it starts to shake out.

Unfortunately since we here were committed to talking peak in here, another member went ahead and started a stand-alone peak thread. I’m still for all peak updates happening here.

Spacepope

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 am

wjcandee wrote:

There are two Airborne (AMES) hangars in TPA, with a United one in between. AMES does almost all types of maintenance for Frontier at TPA (overnight, heavy, drop-in, induction/conformity, the whole shebang), so one hangar usually has lots of Frontier aircraft in and in front of it early in the morning. Captain Markovich knows the names of the various Frontier tail animals. The other AMES hangar seems to have the new United MRO lines that AMES just got hired to do, as well as things like this ABX maintenance and others. They'll also be converting the A321 that is parked by one of the hangars. Interesting how much Frontier, Spirit and Southwest we see at TPA.

I tried watching Capt Steve’s videos but the shakycam gave me motion sickness.

A S Barret does a good job with steady camera work and decent info, even though they seem to be very novice at airliner stuff. In this very recent vid they caught one of CAM’s DHL 763s at TPA getting some touch up paint applied by hand, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYcTfLhXBw

MO11

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:54 am

Swift has an -800 running out of MIA for Amerijet

wjcandee

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:21 am

Spacepope wrote:
I’m still for all peak updates happening here.

Me, too. I also like how respectful our little group is, and how we keep the speculation/uninformed-commentary to a minimum. I just was over at the DC8 thread, and I left pretty-quickly, although I'm glad it's there.

wjcandee

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:23 am

Spacepope wrote:
I tried watching Capt Steve’s videos but the shakycam gave me motion sickness.

I get it, but I'm now completely-hooked. I like it because it feels like you're out there just watching planes with an enthusiastic pal, without the gaps in between the good stuff.

I will give your video a look. The hand-painting on N371CM makes sense; it was the blotchy patches that made me think it needed a repaint. Now that I've seen the video, it appears that they had done some skin work in several places, and were painting over the green. Good enough until the whole thing is repainted.

HPRamper

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

411SN at SHV since 10/15
543JN at MEM since 9/28

From what I saw driving the entire length of Kansas today: it’s going to be a weird shipping season. Not many big rigs out, lots of people driving and hauling their earlybought holiday gifts back with them. It’s gonna be another week or so to see how it starts to shake out.

Unfortunately since we here were committed to talking peak in here, another member went ahead and started a stand-alone peak thread. I’m still for all peak updates happening here.

I'll be using both threads, although I did suggest the title of the other be changed to include, well, everyone.

DL757NYC

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:08 am

wjcandee wrote:
DC8 alert! This MADE MY DAY:

OB2158P ran two round-trips today (MIA-MGA-MIA; MIA-SAL-MIA)...

AND OB2059P ran one! (MIA-SDQ-MIA)

Woo-hoo! Here we go! Peak!

What happened to the UPS AND ATI DC-8’s were they scrapped?

Newark727

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:15 am

DL757NYC wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
DC8 alert! This MADE MY DAY:

OB2158P ran two round-trips today (MIA-MGA-MIA; MIA-SAL-MIA)...

AND OB2059P ran one! (MIA-SDQ-MIA)

Woo-hoo! Here we go! Peak!

What happened to the UPS AND ATI DC-8’s were they scrapped?

For the most part yes, although one of the ATI DC-8s is preserved in Honolulu and another went to the Samaritan's Purse charity.

wjcandee

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:32 am

MO11 wrote:

That's interesting! Anybody else I would ask if it were actually for IBC, but since the info is from you, I will take it as fact. I don't see which flights it's covering for AJT. Do we think it's replacing G-NIKO, which seems still to be running flights under AJT flight numbers?

I wonder whether it's meant to partially-cover for N743AX, the CAM-leased ex-ABX 762. That's been at VQQ since 11/15 for maintenance, which seems a little soon given that it was at ILN for almost 6 weeks in July/August of 2020. OTOH, Amerijet pounds these aircraft with cycles, so maybe 16 months is about right.

darloscott

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 pm

wjcandee wrote:
What I got from the Loadstar article is that Star Air currently operates mainly for DHL. Now, with its purchase of Senator, a freight forwarder, it wants to provide some in-house lift for that business, and is dipping its toes into that with the additional 767-300ERs and the 777s. I'm not sure that the 777s are going to replace much, given that the 763s are currently run virtually-entirely on segments of 2 hours or less, most segments half that. I think we'll find that the 777s are for anticipated new business.

As an example, look at the flight history of OY-SRU, in the last column, which shows segment length. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OYSRU/history/320

I think when they're talking about "reducing landing fees" and "fewer stops", they're talking about future missions, not present.

Apologies for the late reply, it’s taken me a week to catch up with this awesome thread!
Star Air operate almost entirely for UPS in Europe, out of their Cologne hub to cities across the continent. Looks like just two aircraft are currently operating for DHL from Leipzig.

FlyMKG

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

That's interesting! Anybody else I would ask if it were actually for IBC, but since the info is from you, I will take it as fact. I don't see which flights it's covering for AJT. Do we think it's replacing G-NIKO, which seems still to be running flights under AJT flight numbers?

I wonder whether it's meant to partially-cover for N743AX, the CAM-leased ex-ABX 762. That's been at VQQ since 11/15 for maintenance, which seems a little soon given that it was at ILN for almost 6 weeks in July/August of 2020. OTOH, Amerijet pounds these aircraft with cycles, so maybe 16 months is about right.

Both of the IFL Super 727s left MIA recently. They headed home to PTK to get some love before starting UPS peak. The Swift 738 could be filling in for them. I’d imagine the IFL Boeings will be back in MIA after the holidays.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08 pm

FlyMKG wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Both of the IFL Super 727s left MIA recently. They headed home to PTK to get some love before starting UPS peak. The Swift 738 could be filling in for them. I’d imagine the IFL Boeings will be back in MIA after the holidays.

It looks to be N916BR, which was converted at TNA and was given an iAero tail and winglets at DHN by Commercial Jet. Has been on Amerijet duty since delivery too, it looks like. Most of their other 737s are on DHL duty, and plenty are in DHL colors.

MO11

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:30 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

These charters seem to switch out between IBC/Amerijet/Strat Air on an hourly basis. Amerijet lists IBC flights in its timetable. But Looking at all of the points that N916BR has been to, they all show up on Amerijet's route map; all of then don't show on the others (neither Strat Air or IBC go to Central America)

wjcandee

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:39 pm

MO11 wrote:
These charters seem to switch out between IBC/Amerijet/Strat Air on an hourly basis. Amerijet lists IBC flights in its timetable. But Looking at all of the points that N916BR has been to, they all show up on Amerijet's route map; all of then don't show on the others (neither Strat Air or IBC go to Central America)

Thanks for the knowledgeable explanation!!

MO11

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:21 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Also, the Swift -300 freighter has been at the spa (Seman Peru) since October. The flights that N811TJ was operating seem to be some of the same flights that N916BR is operating now.

TriniA340

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:54 pm

gdavis003 wrote:

It looks to be N916BR, which was converted at TNA and was given an iAero tail and winglets at DHN by Commercial Jet. Has been on Amerijet duty since delivery too, it looks like. Most of their other 737s are on DHL duty, and plenty are in DHL colors.

Thanks for sharing this info! Looking fwd to seeing it hopefully :)

mercure1

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:02 pm

FedEx unveiled plans for a new sorting facility at CDG its largest hub outside the U.S.

The EUR220m, 38,000m2 facility will increase space by 70% and sorting capacity by 40%.

https://www.air-journal.fr/2021-11-27-f ... 31916.html

FX also this month added additional flights at CDG hub including Kiev, Manchester and Stockholm links.

Harvestman

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:37 am

My travels this morning took me past MDH (Southern Illinois Airport), and what to my wondering eyes should appear but ex-National N567CA with dismantling well underway. (Yes I know it's a pax jet but it wouldn't fit elsewhere.)

DLNZ

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:50 am

wjcandee wrote:

411SN at SHV since 10/15
543JN at MEM since 9/28

Thanks for the update. A couple of updates, 452SN eventually made her trip to RSW earlier today, and I see N781SN the latest MD11 is now enroute TPE-ANC and presumably one her way to SHV. Both operated in their usual weird way of ferrying at FL270 the whole way, just like 452 had done when crossing the Pacific on delivery, and the MDs did when leaving Asia for MX work. Might be something, might be nothing. Either way, they have really ballsed up the Peak haven't they as far as the 747s go. And they have gifted all Camber duties for quite some time to other carriers, which was an important stream for WGN for a while there.

wjcandee

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 am

Just for grins, I thought I would provide these links, which state clearly that IAI still converts 747-400s, from Pax or Combi. In fact, they say they're the only 747-400 conversion still available. (In the text at the second link: "IAI/BEDEK currently keeps the only active conversion line of B747-400 aircraft in the world and transforms aging passenger aircraft into cost-effective 21st century cargo platforms.")

Might just be hopeful marketing, but interesting. Hard to see how it pencils out given that we expect there to be a bunch of parked converted 744s within a few years, but interesting nonetheless. If you want one, apparently you can have one.

https://www.iai.co.il/commercial/aviati ... onversions (The conversions shown are clearly the active conversions. They don't show the MD11 or 757 anymore, for example.)
https://www.iai.co.il/p/b747-400bdsf

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:54 am

wjcandee wrote:
Just for grins, I thought I would provide these links, which state clearly that IAI still converts 747-400s, from Pax or Combi. In fact, they say they're the only 747-400 conversion still available. (In the text at the second link: "IAI/BEDEK currently keeps the only active conversion line of B747-400 aircraft in the world and transforms aging passenger aircraft into cost-effective 21st century cargo platforms.")

Might just be hopeful marketing, but interesting. Hard to see how it pencils out given that we expect there to be a bunch of parked converted 744s within a few years, but interesting nonetheless. If you want one, apparently you can have one.

https://www.iai.co.il/commercial/aviati ... onversions (The conversions shown are clearly the active conversions. They don't show the MD11 or 757 anymore, for example.)

I somehow I have this feeling there won't be anymore demand for B744 pax-to-cargo conversion. If there has been any those BA, QF, TG, CI, LH would been snapped up quickly at bargain price when they were retired in massive scale last year. However unfortunately it didn't came about.

LTEN11

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I somehow I have this feeling there won't be anymore demand for B744 pax-to-cargo conversion. If there has been any those BA, QF, TG, CI, LH would been snapped up quickly at bargain price when they were retired in massive scale last year. However unfortunately it didn't came about.

I agree with you that anymore 744 conversions are unlikely now. However, if people had guessed how long covid would be going on for and the extent that it has decimated passenger travel, they could've also guessed that the need for full freighters would takeoff. If someone had access to a crystal ball in March last year, they could've snapped up a few of those 744's and had the work done. Unfortunately, was not too be.

crownvic

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am

Question for you cargo experts out there. On any given day especially during holidays there are at least 10-15 cargo movements at KMCO Orlando Intl between 5am and 10am. I am just talking arrivals between UPS FED EX and a few others Double that if you add the departures in the mix. Today Monday 11/29 there is nothing scheduled for the morning time frame other than 2 Kalitta 737's. Not a single arrival or departure, even for acft that were parked over the weekend. Why is that?

LTEN11

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:14 pm

crownvic wrote:
Question for you cargo experts out there. On any given day especially during holidays there are at least 10-15 cargo movements at KMCO Orlando Intl between 5am and 10am. I am just talking arrivals between UPS FED EX and a few others Double that if you add the departures in the mix. Today Monday 11/29 there is nothing scheduled for the morning time frame other than 2 Kalitta 737's. Not a single arrival or departure, even for acft that were parked over the weekend. Why is that?

Businesses closed over the Thanksgiving Day period ? I would guess a lot of places close for the 4 days, so there wouldn't be much freight to move around come Monday morning. The storm will be Monday night when everything is back up and running and all the online orders are starting too get processed.

crownvic

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Businesses closed over the Thanksgiving Day period ? I would guess a lot of places close for the 4 days, so there wouldn't be much freight to move around come Monday morning. The storm will be Monday night when everything is back up and running and all the online orders are starting too get processed.

I thought the same thing but cargo does not pause for the holidays!

jjbiv

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:58 pm

Freight which was picked up on Saturday usually moves through a hub and to its destination on Sunday so there isn't a need for much lift on Monday morning. There should be some day side flights today and a good bit of activity this evening to move freight which was picked up today. The weekend also gives the integrators a "free day" or two which they can use to move freight by ground without it counting against their service level guarantees so they take full advantage of that opportunity.

HPRamper

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:07 pm

crownvic wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

FedEx absolutely paused for the holiday, at least domestically. No operations other than voluntary skeleton crews here and there for one-off incidentals.

crownvic

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:10 pm

HPRamper wrote:
crownvic wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:

FedEx absolutely paused for the holiday, at least domestically. No operations other than voluntary skeleton crews here and there for one-off incidentals.

thank you ...I stand corrected, and now have a better understanding..

LTEN11

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm

crownvic wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
crownvic wrote:

thank you ...I stand corrected, and now have a better understanding..

It very much depends on what the cargo is, but express freight does slow down on weekends and public holidays especially. General freight still tends to move, but even then by the time you get to the Sunday of a long break, there’s not a lot happening. Shippers tend to close for weekends and freight forwarders definitely run on smaller operations on the weekend. Friday can be a nightmare though for general cargo, not so much for express as they have the whole weekend to get it there for the next business day.

FlapOperator

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm

mercure1 wrote:
FedEx unveiled plans for a new sorting facility at CDG its largest hub outside the U.S.

The EUR220m, 38,000m2 facility will increase space by 70% and sorting capacity by 40%.

FX also this month added additional flights at CDG hub including Kiev, Manchester and Stockholm links.

I wonder what this will mean for the Cologne (CGN) facility and CGN pilot base? I know that an original plan in the 1990s was for a A300 base and hub at CDG, that eventually turned into 757s and CGN.

So, the world might be turning again, for both.

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:57 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

I wonder what this will mean for the Cologne (CGN) facility and CGN pilot base? I know that an original plan in the 1990s was for a A300 base and hub at CDG, that eventually turned into 757s and CGN.

So, the world might be turning again, for both.

At the same time, FedEx has officially shutdown their HKG pilot base for good, but will continue to operate in Hong Kong https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/ ... ovid-rules

jetblueguy22

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:47 pm

crownvic wrote:

Can’t speak for FX, but for 5X it’s a mix of ground transportation and volume moving on Sundays.

UPS runs a day sort in SDF on Sundays that acts more like a special night sort. Next Day Air is processed during the day (as opposed to Second Day and Three Day the rest of the week) and then either flies it out or feeds it by truck. Doing it during the day means a lot more stuff can be moved over the road which is a huge cost savings. They also run sorts on Saturday nights in places like PHL and RFD that again goes over the ground.

Not fully sure how MCO’s volume moves, but I’m betting that they get a couple SDF jets on Sunday afternoon that then fly out Monday evening.

Cardude2

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:09 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
I’m still for all peak updates happening here.

Me, too. I also like how respectful our little group is, and how we keep the speculation/uninformed-commentary to a minimum. I just was over at the DC8 thread, and I left pretty-quickly, although I'm glad it's there.

Well, I'm sorry for that. Want to message me some constructive criticism?

wjcandee

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Cardude2 wrote:
Well, I'm sorry for that. Want to message me some constructive criticism?

Nothing you can do; it is what it is in terms of things people jump on and post. As with the Peak thread, there's good stuff and there's stuff that's a little off.

Me personally I would stop calling Samaritan's Purse's DC8 "controversial". They are what they are, no more, no less, and it's okay, even today, to discuss their airplane without feeling compelled to make some prophylactic comment about the organization.

strangeplanes

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Eastern Airlines signed a lease for space at KMCI to convert 777's to cargo.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -city.html

wjcandee

Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:43 am

strangeplanes wrote:
Eastern Airlines signed a lease for space at KMCI to convert 777's to cargo.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -city.html

Interesting now that China won't permit this kind of paxargo aircraft in the country anymore.

gdavis003
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:03 am

N215WE and sister ship N216WE of IFL are joining in on the peak action. Both 727s received some TLC at PTK last week. 215 is en route to MSY, and 216 is en route to MEM. Both will operate to SDF tonight for UPS. Keeping a close eye on an Asia Pacific 757 as well (N922TS), which ferried from the pacific to BFI last night and is scheduled to operate BFI-ONT tonight as MGE985. Possibly for UPS as well?

wjcandee

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 am

N395CM, ATI's multipurpose 767-300BDSF (i.e. not leased to Amazon), flew to SDF today and appears to be doing an SDF-MCO turn, presumably for UPS.
N255CM, the 767-200 that plays the same role, still seems to be on Amazon duty.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:15 am

gdavis003 wrote:
N215WE and sister ship N216WE of IFL are joining in on the peak action. Both 727s received some TLC at PTK last week. 215 is en route to MSY, and 216 is en route to MEM. Both will operate to SDF tonight for UPS. Keeping a close eye on an Asia Pacific 757 as well (N922TS), which ferried from the pacific to BFI last night and is scheduled to operate BFI-ONT tonight as MGE985. Possibly for UPS as well?

Great stuff, I enjoy following IFL. Brown's ramp up continues. On that note, National have three 747Fs on duty for UPS currently:
N702CA on SDF-ONT
N952CA on SDF-CGN
N936CA on PHL-ONT

Their CEO & Chair was interviewed by Aviation Week recently, link below which is behind a paywall. From snippets I've read elsewhere, he says that they could place another 10 747s if they could source, and are considering A330 (Fs or P2Fs unknown), 77W P2Fs and other alternatives for growth. They love the 747, citing 35,000 cycles and 160k hours.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... irman-says

Planeboy17

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:17 am

Harvestman wrote:
My travels this morning took me past MDH (Southern Illinois Airport), and what to my wondering eyes should appear but ex-National N567CA with dismantling well underway. (Yes I know it's a pax jet but it wouldn't fit elsewhere.)

As a Saluki (Southern Illinois University) alum, I’m shocked at this picture. What the hell is it doing there? And who is doing the scrapping?

gdavis003
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 am

DLNZ wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Great stuff, I enjoy following IFL. Brown's ramp up continues. On that note, National have three 747Fs on duty for UPS currently:
N702CA on SDF-ONT
N952CA on SDF-CGN
N936CA on PHL-ONT

Their CEO & Chair was interviewed by Aviation Week recently, link below which is behind a paywall. From snippets I've read elsewhere, he says that they could place another 10 747s if they could source, and are considering A330 (Fs or P2Fs unknown), 77W P2Fs and other alternatives for growth. They love the 747, citing 35,000 cycles and 160k hours.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... irman-says

10 more 747s would be quite impressive. Of course, not sure where exactly they would source those. Their passenger A332 leads me to believe that the A330 might be in their cargo future as well, but their growth isn't stopping anytime soon.

On the 747 front for Purple, I can see four (yes, four!) 747s scheduled to ferry to MEM tonight under GTI 9*** call signs (three from MIA, one from CVG). I can't see the tail numbers yet, so I'm assuming that these are four different aircraft, for now, unless they are filing these ferries again under different callsigns. Lots of Atlas metal on purple duty if these 747s are added to the mix.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:33 am

gdavis003 wrote:
10 more 747s would be quite impressive. Of course, not sure where exactly they would source those. Their passenger A332 leads me to believe that the A330 might be in their cargo future as well, but their growth isn't stopping anytime soon.

On the 747 front for Purple, I can see four (yes, four!) 747s scheduled to ferry to MEM tonight under GTI 9*** call signs (three from MIA, one from CVG). I can't see the tail numbers yet, so I'm assuming that these are four different aircraft, for now, unless they are filing these ferries again under different callsigns. Lots of Atlas metal on purple duty if these 747s are added to the mix.

That's impressive. Plus the two WGN MD11s (542/412) and whatever else. I do wonder how much more Purple would have bought from WGN if their 747 fleet was operating better than 1 of 4.

I agree re: National. Some A330Fs of either factory-F (not many around) or -300P2F (will be available readily) would give them some useful flexibility to take on some more domestic/short-mid haul int'l work either standalone or for the integrators.

DLNZ

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 am

It's been a while since we have discussed the rough & tumble Aerotranscargo fleet. A quick check last night showed all six of their eclectic jumbos airborne, plying the skies between Asia, NQZ and various destinations in Europe. Outwardly, it looks like they have had another great year: aircraft cycling through maintenance in CGK at the right times, full fleet availability for Peak, two new machines due, and the Cargo Rom venture now in operation with YR-FSA. Niiiice.

p.s. I also suspect they are doing some MX work on ER-BAG, the Terra Avia operated machine which has sat at NQZ since 11/01.

Cardude2

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:52 am

DLNZ wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

That's impressive. Plus the two WGN MD11s (542/412) and whatever else. I do wonder how much more Purple would have bought from WGN if their 747 fleet was operating better than 1 of 4.

I agree re: National. Some A330Fs of either factory-F (not many around) or -300P2F (will be available readily) would give them some useful flexibility to take on some more domestic/short-mid haul int'l work either standalone or for the integrators.

There also is the possibility of A350F in the future as ALC is looking at all its current customers for taking on the jets, and national is one of them.

RoyalBrunei757

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:58 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
Harvestman wrote:

As a Saluki (Southern Illinois University) alum, I’m shocked at this picture. What the hell is it doing there? And who is doing the scrapping?

Scrapped for parts with a company called Cascade Spares Inc, apparently they opened a new hangar recently for doing MRO, but their first arrival went to meet choppers instead. Ironic....

https://www.cascadespares.com/