Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:53 pm

YouTube has an upload by “Cargospotter” filming heavy freighters at LGG, and it shows RON Cargos 744 in a sad state, missing parts already. Looks like a fairly recent upload, but also shows a,lot of the action of the 744s that now do the Asia-Europe shuffle, as well as Amerijet and ABX doing transatlantic work with their 763s. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7xykHcYWk
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:46 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Random: Looks like Maleth Aero may have a new stop-over in my backyard...Ontario, CA (ONT)!

A332 9H-MFS flew YMX-ONT as DB330 on Dec. 23 (came in the dark :roll: )
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9h-mfs

Initially I thought this was a one-off, but it seems that A332 9H-LFS will follow tomorrow, Sunday December 26.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/db332
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MLT332
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9h-lfs

Looks like the overall routing is SGN-ICN-YMX-ONT, then I'd imagine the return would route ONT-FAI-SGN. Hoping for some good weather tomorrow, especially if it comes in the afternoon (currently is delayed out of YMX so that's very likely). Would imagine that 9H-LFS has the return crew for 9H-MFS, so maybe this will be a regular, maybe not. Who knows with these carriers lol. Cool to see them on such a niche route though.


Interesting to see them go so far East to YMX before heading southwest to ONT. Seems, too, like ICN-YMX is a pretty-long haul for a fully-loaded "cargo" aircraft. Any reason to stop in FAI rather than ANC on the way back? I don't remember (and it's too late at night for me to look up) whether the exemptions and Freedom-provisions of which one can avail oneself when stopping in ANC also apply to FAI (there's a reason they named ANC after Ted Stevens, and it has to do among other things with the economic activity that he brought to ANC by, as a powerful Senator, getting special treatment for carriers that stop there). I just don't remember whether a stop in Alaska will do it, or whether you have to stop at ANC.


I too was personally surprised on the ICN-YMX routing. Not sure on the FAI stop instead of ANC. Can only think of the generic 'cheap fuel or landing fees' excuses. Not sure how applicable they are here.


Could be 2 different routes being operated with this aircraft, Asia-YMX, position/deadhead to ONT, then ONT-Asia.
 
a2b7
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Spacepope wrote:
YouTube has an upload by “Cargospotter” filming heavy freighters at LGG, and it shows RON Cargos 744 in a sad state, missing parts already. Looks like a fairly recent upload, but also shows a,lot of the action of the 744s that now do the Asia-Europe shuffle, as well as Amerijet and ABX doing transatlantic work with their 763s. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7xykHcYWk

I am afraid although the video was uploaded recently, at least the part showing ER-BBE at about 16 min is likely a few months old, because the airframe was re-registered YR-FSA in Sep 2021 according to planespotters.net, which also has a photo from July 2021 that shows it at LGG with a panel of the wing to body fairing removed.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:06 am

Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.

It will be interesting to see whether work on either of the 737-700s gets well underway before PEMCO gets rolling on the Cook's Club A321, now N982CM, that's been parked at Airborne TPA for just about 6 months. That will be the first CAM-owned A321 Precision Conversion, as earlier conversions were undertaken for other lessors.

The Airborne hangars at TPA seem to be packed recently, what with the usual Frontier all-service contract and the recent United maintenance contract, as well as the various Allegiant and other heavy-checks they do. Once the conversion touch-work gets underway, it will be interesting to see the progress.

If the FlexCombi picks up, or if PEMCO gets its 737-700 straight-freighter STC, it stands to reason that the rest of those 10 12-ish-year-old parked single-owner creampuff DL 737-700s would make logical feedstock.
 
MO11
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:03 am

wjcandee wrote:
Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.



Yes, these are both AAR. They join N305DQ which came by in September. The latter was transferred to "AAR Government Services", FWIW.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:41 am

MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.



Yes, these are both AAR. They join N305DQ which came by in September. The latter was transferred to "AAR Government Services", FWIW.


Interesting about AAR. I know they lease some 737s to the military (or at least the US gov't). Would be interesting if the gov't were to want its own Combis. But I guess it doesn't have to be the US gov't.

PS Are there 3?
 
MO11
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:06 am

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.



Yes, these are both AAR. They join N305DQ which came by in September. The latter was transferred to "AAR Government Services", FWIW.


Interesting about AAR. I know they lease some 737s to the military (or at least the US gov't). Would be interesting if the gov't were to want its own Combis. But I guess it doesn't have to be the US gov't.

PS Are there 3?


Yes, N305 came in September, N302 and N306 last week. I just checked, the last two also went to Government Services.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 am

MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Yes, these are both AAR. They join N305DQ which came by in September. The latter was transferred to "AAR Government Services", FWIW.


Interesting about AAR. I know they lease some 737s to the military (or at least the US gov't). Would be interesting if the gov't were to want its own Combis. But I guess it doesn't have to be the US gov't.

PS Are there 3?


Yes, N305 came in September, N302 and N306 last week. I just checked, the last two also went to Government Services.


The first one must be in the hangar, then. Cool! I guess it's underway. Thanks!!
 
a2b7
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 am

wjcandee wrote:
Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.

It will be interesting to see whether work on either of the 737-700s gets well underway before PEMCO gets rolling on the Cook's Club A321, now N982CM, that's been parked at Airborne TPA for just about 6 months. That will be the first CAM-owned A321 Precision Conversion, as earlier conversions were undertaken for other lessors.

The Airborne hangars at TPA seem to be packed recently, what with the usual Frontier all-service contract and the recent United maintenance contract, as well as the various Allegiant and other heavy-checks they do. Once the conversion touch-work gets underway, it will be interesting to see the progress.

If the FlexCombi picks up, or if PEMCO gets its 737-700 straight-freighter STC, it stands to reason that the rest of those 10 12-ish-year-old parked single-owner creampuff DL 737-700s would make logical feedstock.

Some of the rest of the 10 DL 737-700s are not available any more, because they will be parted out, see https://www.apocaviation.com/apoc-acqui ... airframes/ These should be 4 DL 737-700s as Delta is the only US legacy that has retired 737NGs at MZJ AFAIK.
 
RoyalBrunei757
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Fleet Movement December 27, 2021
1. Boeing 737 -3Y0(F) 26070 2349 N336CK Kalitta Charters II regd 21 December 2021, delivery 22 December 2021 OPF-OSC ex ZS-SBA


2. Boeing 737 -85F(F) 30571 936 Masl Ireland ferried 22 December 2021 MIA-DHN for paint prior delivery to? ex N571MQ


3. Boeing 767 -375(F) 30112 765 B-221D SF Airlines delivery 17 December 2021 QPG-SZX, N-reg canx upon arrival ex N216DP
Image
N216DP B767-375ER Ex Air Canada Rouge by Dave Corry, on Flickr

4. Boeing 767 -38E 30840 829 N108DP SF Airlines ferried 21 December 2021 HHN-QPG for freighter conversion ex D-ABUS


5. Boeing 767 -300F 66812 1262 N377UP UPS United Parcel Service delivery 23 December 2021 PAE-SAT
https://twitter.com/UPSAirlines/status/ ... 12/photo/1

6. Comac ARJ21 -700 109 B-3388 YTO Express Airlines ferried 17 December 2021 CN-162-CAN for freighter conversion (+ 112 B-3329 since 01sep21) ex B-001U




Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=1
 
CX747
Posts: 6928
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Sweet, I'm glad the Far East has started a conversion line for glass cockpit DC-9s!!! I'm sure they contacted the appropriate authorities in the US for technical data transfer!!!
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27477
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:42 pm

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
4. Boeing 767 -38E 30840 829 N108DP SF Airlines ferried 21 December 2021 HHN-QPG for freighter conversion ex D-ABUS

Wait, a Boeing 767 was registered D-ABUS? I am tremendously disappointed by this. :hissyfit:
 
TEBfan
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:07 pm

a2b7 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Looks like there are now TWO de-liveried ex-DL 737-700s sitting at the Airborne hangar at TPA. One of them is apparently N305DQ, which arrived TPA on 9/17/21. I think the other is N302DQ, which just arrived on 12/21/21.

Presumably, these will be PEMCO 737-700 FlexCombi conversions, perhaps for rumoured customer AAR Corp. (which is likely acting as a lessor for an ultimate operator). The first two 737-700 FlexCombis went to Texel Air in Bahrain.

It will be interesting to see whether work on either of the 737-700s gets well underway before PEMCO gets rolling on the Cook's Club A321, now N982CM, that's been parked at Airborne TPA for just about 6 months. That will be the first CAM-owned A321 Precision Conversion, as earlier conversions were undertaken for other lessors.

The Airborne hangars at TPA seem to be packed recently, what with the usual Frontier all-service contract and the recent United maintenance contract, as well as the various Allegiant and other heavy-checks they do. Once the conversion touch-work gets underway, it will be interesting to see the progress.

If the FlexCombi picks up, or if PEMCO gets its 737-700 straight-freighter STC, it stands to reason that the rest of those 10 12-ish-year-old parked single-owner creampuff DL 737-700s would make logical feedstock.

Some of the rest of the 10 DL 737-700s are not available any more, because they will be parted out, see https://www.apocaviation.com/apoc-acqui ... airframes/ These should be 4 DL 737-700s as Delta is the only US legacy that has retired 737NGs at MZJ AFAIK.


Additionally, two other Delta 737-700 frames have been parted out at San Bernardino and were awaiting the crusher last I saw from an overhead picture. They were clearly Delta with the titles greyed out on the sides.
 
MO11
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:22 am

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Yes, N305 came in September, N302 and N306 last week. I just checked, the last two also went to Government Services.


The first one must be in the hangar, then. Cool! I guess it's underway. Thanks!!



In August, AAR received a contract to procure and modify one 737NG for the National Nuclear Security Administration. Not sure if that was expanded to more airplanes.
 
oldJoe
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:30 am

Revelation wrote:
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
4. Boeing 767 -38E 30840 829 N108DP SF Airlines ferried 21 December 2021 HHN-QPG for freighter conversion ex D-ABUS

Wait, a Boeing 767 was registered D-ABUS? I am tremendously disappointed by this. :hissyfit:


If you read it it as a767 "a" bus there`s also the ability of this :
https://www.abus.com/eng
wich is a complete different story. Guess the company get some free promotion ?
 
faizul
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 am

Seems like the story with the abandoned 747-200SF freighters in KUL is finally coming to an end. Planespotters.net lists TF-ARH as scrapped in Nov 21. No signs yet on TF-ARM and TF-ARN. While these two were parked close to the terminals, TF-ARH was parked next to the Malaysian Airlines hangars together with 9M-MPD, a -400 last operated by Malaysian carrier Eaglexpress Air, which apparently was scrapped in November as well. Only recent photo I could find was -ARH in October this year with the tail already cut off:
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5900
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:23 am

CX747 wrote:
Sweet, I'm glad the Far East has started a conversion line for glass cockpit DC-9s!!! I'm sure they contacted the appropriate authorities in the US for technical data transfer!!!


…whether the authorities are aware the tech data was transferred or not….

Conversions have been underway for over 6 months now, we should be seeing test flights fairly soon. With Chinas appetite for freighters I hate to say it but this might be the most successful bit of the Comac career. They likely won’t need to have an A320 following these on every flight.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:58 am

MO11 wrote:

Yes, N305 came in September, N302 and N306 last week. I just checked, the last two also went to Government Services.

In August, AAR received a contract to procure and modify one 737NG for the National Nuclear Security Administration. Not sure if that was expanded to more airplanes.


Very cool! Always so interesting how government work always involves some prime contractor that knows how to navigate the bureaucracy then hires someone to actually do the work for like half of what the gov't is paying. (I remember years ago when I was at a consulting firm, a Big Name gov't contractor wanted us to do some specialized computer work for them. I made up a budget of say 60X, which was pretty-thin for us because it would have been a fun project. The person called me and said her budget for our piece was only 100X. So what's the problem? Oh, if their budget was 100X, that meant that because of "overhead" they could only pay like 40X to us. Overhead. Okay, whatever. Told them to find someone else.)

Regardless, nice to see PEMCO getting some touch work on the project.
 
RoyalBrunei757
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:50 am

faizul wrote:
Seems like the story with the abandoned 747-200SF freighters in KUL is finally coming to an end. Planespotters.net lists TF-ARH as scrapped in Nov 21. No signs yet on TF-ARM and TF-ARN. While these two were parked close to the terminals, TF-ARH was parked next to the Malaysian Airlines hangars together with 9M-MPD, a -400 last operated by Malaysian carrier Eaglexpress Air, which apparently was scrapped in November as well. Only recent photo I could find was -ARH in October this year with the tail already cut off:

Welcome to airliners.net!

Yes, all four airframes have been bought by a local scrapping company. They would demolish all and sell them as scrap metal. All four were/are empty hull which made the demolition easier. Previously, someone advertised these airframes for sale. For USD300,000 if I am not mistaken.
 
NG263
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:23 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
faizul wrote:
Seems like the story with the abandoned 747-200SF freighters in KUL is finally coming to an end. Planespotters.net lists TF-ARH as scrapped in Nov 21. No signs yet on TF-ARM and TF-ARN. While these two were parked close to the terminals, TF-ARH was parked next to the Malaysian Airlines hangars together with 9M-MPD, a -400 last operated by Malaysian carrier Eaglexpress Air, which apparently was scrapped in November as well. Only recent photo I could find was -ARH in October this year with the tail already cut off:

Welcome to airliners.net!

Yes, all four airframes have been bought by a local scrapping company. They would demolish all and sell them as scrap metal. All four were/are empty hull which made the demolition easier. Previously, someone advertised these airframes for sale. For USD300,000 if I am not mistaken.



Wonder what he wanted to say with that. This is a simple copy and paste from my post a few weeks ago without any own word from him, maybe a mistake...

oldJoe wrote:
Revelation wrote:
RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
4. Boeing 767 -38E 30840 829 N108DP SF Airlines ferried 21 December 2021 HHN-QPG for freighter conversion ex D-ABUS

Wait, a Boeing 767 was registered D-ABUS? I am tremendously disappointed by this. :hissyfit:


If you read it it as a767 "a" bus there`s also the ability of this :
https://www.abus.com/eng
wich is a complete different story. Guess the company get some free promotion ?


Without going to much off topic here. Condor and Lufthansa have always registered their aircraft in a systematical way. The A is mandatory in Germany for aircraft over 20 tons. And then they simply used B for Boeings and combined the A with an I for AI-rbus. In case one wondered.




Any news about N570B and N27063, the two reactivated desert birds for Aerotranscargo? N570B has been in HHN for half a year now. Surely she's not been in continuous maintenance for that long?
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27477
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:14 pm

NG263 wrote:
Without going to much off topic here. Condor and Lufthansa have always registered their aircraft in a systematical way. The A is mandatory in Germany for aircraft over 20 tons. And then they simply used B for Boeings and combined the A with an I for AI-rbus. In case one wondered.

Thanks! I didn't know this, and am glad it was a side effect of the registration scheme rather than some Branson-like stunt.
 
gdavis003
Topic Author
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Good news out of DHN. N833US, the second of the batch of former DL MD-88s being converted for USA Jet, is scheduled for a test flight down towards JAX and back. Should be delivered in the next two weeks or so, if not sooner, based on the normal timeline
 
CX747
Posts: 6928
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Does anyone have a track on the Fly Pro 747-200F ER-BAU, which looked to be for sale in the last several months?
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:24 pm

CX747 wrote:
Does anyone have a track on the Fly Pro 747-200F ER-BAU, which looked to be for sale in the last several months?

Great Qeustion.
No idea why no one has taken an interest in this bird which was fresh from a”D” check , allegedly .and for just $10m.
It’s crazy that this frame is still in CGK.? With the amount of $$$ that can be made.
Especially when all the flyable 200s are earning .
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:26 pm

Might there be EU or US restrictions on flying in? I know the GeoSky guy said that his are the only -200s allowed to fly into Europe, although I don't think he explained why.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:16 am

Made it out to VCV yesterday, got a few tid-bits of info:

Ex Singapore Airlines 777-200ER N940BC exited storage VCV-MCI today (December 29), likely for freighter conversion with Eastern Airlines. If anyone has confirmation that'd be great :)
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n940bc

Link to Image: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYFvfCtFg8x/
Image

Besides N940BC, ex Lufthansa Cargo MD-11F N649FE is fully unwrapped, facing south-west on taxiway alpha, looks like she might fly out in the next week or so. Fully unwrapped, still in the old Lufthansa Cargo 'cargohumancare' livery. All she needs is someone from FedEx to kick the tires and light the fires. Not much else happening, nothing with the ex China Cargo 744Fs either. Just gotta give 'em time.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:45 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Made it out to VCV yesterday, got a few tid-bits of info:


Great job!!

Glad to see FedEx is getting ready to put their latest MD11 acquisition into the air.

Also, that Singapore bird is pretty. Too bad she's going to Eastern, if that still-unapproved "light cargo conversion" (i.e. no door) ever gets approved, or Eastern ever gets customers for it. With China now essentially banning any kind of Pfreighter, it seems like it's a dwindling possibility that they'll get the kazillion of these that they had planned actually into a contract, if any of them. Not to say that they wouldn't make great candidates for the IAI conversion, when its Korean touch-work site starts to convert -200s in a couple of years...

But it's Eastern, so one wonders whether they ever believed that this latest "great idea" was truly going to come to pass...
 
LTEN11
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:07 am

wjcandee wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Made it out to VCV yesterday, got a few tid-bits of info:


Great job!!

Glad to see FedEx is getting ready to put their latest MD11 acquisition into the air.

Also, that Singapore bird is pretty. Too bad she's going to Eastern, if that still-unapproved "light cargo conversion" (i.e. no door) ever gets approved, or Eastern ever gets customers for it. With China now essentially banning any kind of Pfreighter, it seems like it's a dwindling possibility that they'll get the kazillion of these that they had planned actually into a contract, if any of them. Not to say that they wouldn't make great candidates for the IAI conversion, when its Korean touch-work site starts to convert -200s in a couple of years...

But it's Eastern, so one wonders whether they ever believed that this latest "great idea" was truly going to come to pass...


You can still fly preighters to China, but you will only be allowed to load Covid related medical supplies, such as masks, etc on the main deck.

There is still a lot of freight you can put on the lower deck of course, not to mention all the other countries they could fly them too, Vietnam being a prime candidate.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 11588
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:28 am

LTEN11 wrote:
You can still fly preighters to China, but you will only be allowed to load Covid related medical supplies, such as masks, etc on the main deck.
There is still a lot of freight you can put on the lower deck of course, not to mention all the other countries they could fly them too, Vietnam being a prime candidate.


You're of course correct, and I thought about including the exception for Covid medical supplies, but it seems like the need to really expedite masks and such these days is pretty-low. There was an article in the paper the other day about how many US mask suppliers had geared up manufacturing capability and now were in a lull. I can get N95s from 3M basically anywhere, the real ones, the good ones, for nearly what they cost before all this started. That says that the coffers are full. But it's still a fair point.

The Vietnam point is a good one as well. But there's still a limit to how many flights actually are needed from there in excess of what is now flying, and particularly if you can't put the stuff in a container.

I also think that if there was a significant demand for flights running just belly freight from China, extant pax carriers would be running them, because they have the aircraft and the crews to do so. Perhaps some are, but the point is that that capability could flex upwards dramatically if, say, Air China thought there was a market for it.

That said, I rarely say "never", so maybe this Eastern thing will come to pass and be a gold mine for them, but my gut tells me it's not likely.

I greatly appreciate your corrections and insights!
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:30 am

UPS 747-44AF N572UP is still not active (AOG) after the mishap at Seoul (ICN) at October 27th. Also the exact cause has not been published, most probably a return to ICN after a hydraulic failure, after landing a main body gear collaps (failed downlock or a maintenance error ?), causing tail tipping.
Anyone with some more info about the exact sequence of events and the amount of structural damage ?



 
LTEN11
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:07 am

wjcandee wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
You can still fly preighters to China, but you will only be allowed to load Covid related medical supplies, such as masks, etc on the main deck.
There is still a lot of freight you can put on the lower deck of course, not to mention all the other countries they could fly them too, Vietnam being a prime candidate.


You're of course correct, and I thought about including the exception for Covid medical supplies, but it seems like the need to really expedite masks and such these days is pretty-low. There was an article in the paper the other day about how many US mask suppliers had geared up manufacturing capability and now were in a lull. I can get N95s from 3M basically anywhere, the real ones, the good ones, for nearly what they cost before all this started. That says that the coffers are full. But it's still a fair point.

The Vietnam point is a good one as well. But there's still a limit to how many flights actually are needed from there in excess of what is now flying, and particularly if you can't put the stuff in a container.

I also think that if there was a significant demand for flights running just belly freight from China, extant pax carriers would be running them, because they have the aircraft and the crews to do so. Perhaps some are, but the point is that that capability could flex upwards dramatically if, say, Air China thought there was a market for it.

That said, I rarely say "never", so maybe this Eastern thing will come to pass and be a gold mine for them, but my gut tells me it's not likely.

I greatly appreciate your corrections and insights!


You're looking at masks and other such medical supplies from a U.S. centric viewpoint. It's great that home made supplies are filling the shelves in the U.S. but there are many places which don't have the resources to switch production to other goods. With Omicron wreaking havoc at the moment, you'll probably see a spike in demand for more of these goods worldwide. I'm not sure how Eastern fits into all of this, I think they saw an opportunity, had a plan, but now aren't sure just how to best execute it, but I do hope they succeed.

With the amount of capacity the Chinese airlines are flying to North America and Europe, they can't possibly be carrying that many passengers. Chinese wouldn't be travelling as tourists, it's too hard to get back into China. Students would make up some passengers, expats getting out of China whilst their home countries are open would fill some seats, but not many. Realistically that leaves the majority of the flights operating as freight only, with maybe a few passengers. There is plenty of extra capacity in the way of freighters (our lovely old 747s being the pick), lots of passenger frames operating as freighters, or preighters if able, 340-300's, 340-600's, 332's, 333's, 777's, so there are still markets there for these aircraft. You just need to look at CX and KE operating 77W's to Columbus as a good example of seeing a niche and filling it.

If the rumours of the rates being available for 747 charters out of Vietnam are true, there isn't enough capacity. I'm not sure of the products being uplifted out of Vietnam, but if you could fill the belly with electronics and the main deck with textiles a few times a week, you'd be making decent cash. I think that's the type of market that Eastern could find a niche in with their 777-200's and do well.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:06 am

FedEx MD-11F N649FE (ex D-ALCH ) was ferried VCV-LAX at December 30th with callsign FX9035, see : https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N64 ... /KVCV/KLAX

The aircraft was stored at VCV at March 19 th 2020, and will receive a HMV, standardization modifications and a new livery.

Next will be N647FE (ex D-ALCF), stored at VCV since December 17th 2019.

Other available frames are N646FE and N648FE, but both are not included in the current re-activation plans, because of the surplus maintenance required. (landing gear timed out, engines requiring major overhaul, etc )
 
HeartofFlorida
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:41 am

ElroyJetson wrote:
I thought I would post the most current FAA stats of cargo volume by US airports. One interesting thing I noticed is Lakeland Florida airport did zero cargo volume. Amazon opened a huge processing center at the airport and that year they did 209,000,000 million pounds of cargo.

It is also interesting how much cargo certain mid sized airports like RIC and GSO do. Here is a link to the data.




https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_c ... rports.pdf

Regarding Lakeland, keep in mind those numbers are only for 6 months in 2020 as Amazon did not begin operations at LAL until July. It will be interesting to see what a full year looks like once that data is released for 2021. It is plausible that cargo could double.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 12520
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Air Cargo (non-Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Please continue discussion in Air Cargo (non Amazon/DHL) Thread - 2022

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1468457

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos