Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Porter Airlines extends operations restart date

Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Porter Airlines is extending their restart of operations until March 29.

As per Michael Deluce:

"With the introduction of vaccines, we are more optimistic about determining a date in the near-term to reintroduce flights than at any point since the pandemic began," said Michael Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "More time is needed to assess the vaccine's influence on current travel restrictions and when it is appropriate to begin operations again. We expect to establish a timeline for this to happen in the first part of 2021."

Hope to see them in the skies again soon. Glad to see they are hanging on . Missed in the skies.

aemoreira1981

Re: Porter Airlines extends operations restart date

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Hopefully the USA and Canada can reopen the borders for those properly vaccinated and with vaccine card proof by then.

tphuang

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm

I wonder if they will ever fly again.

KarlB737

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:28 pm

Courtesy: Airways Magazine

Porter Airlines Goes Full Year Without Flights

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/potter-full-year-no-flights/

yzfElite

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Hopefully the USA and Canada can reopen the borders for those properly vaccinated and with vaccine card proof by then.

By March? Canada has no plans to start vaccinating anyone outside of people in old age homes and front line workers until the April-September timeframe. I think if the hope is this happens by mid-summer I'd say maybe, but things are proceeding quite slowly. I'm not sure Porter's owners will want to invest the capital necessary to essentially be a new start-up and subsidize routes for a year or two. I bet on them never flying again and eventually looking to either sell the airline or sell the fleet. Never say never, but I say this is a strong possibility.

Skywatcher

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:35 am

So sad-maybe the gov't can open up the island airport to allow for A-220 operations?

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:50 am

yzfElite wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

By March? Canada has no plans to start vaccinating anyone outside of people in old age homes and front line workers until the April-September timeframe. I think if the hope is this happens by mid-summer I'd say maybe, but things are proceeding quite slowly. I'm not sure Porter's owners will want to invest the capital necessary to essentially be a new start-up and subsidize routes for a year or two. I bet on them never flying again and eventually looking to either sell the airline or sell the fleet. Never say never, but I say this is a strong possibility.

Why would ownership be less willing to invest X (whatever X is) now than they were nine months ago? In some ways they will be starting from a position of strength since PD has not been hemorrhaging cash for nearly a year.

yzfElite

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:15 am

Cubsrule wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Why would ownership be less willing to invest X (whatever X is) now than they were nine months ago? In some ways they will be starting from a position of strength since PD has not been hemorrhaging cash for nearly a year.

9 months ago they were a going concern with customers, routes, etc. Getting going again now will likely result in running unprofitable routes for an extended period. It's not like business travel will rebound overnight. In order not to lose market share they would have to re-start at some point, but I never did fully understand their model. I usually only fly them YOW-YYZ and family/friends I have only fly them when it's the cheapest fare to Atlantic Canada. I've clearly been wrong for years and may be again.

DL752

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 am

I've been wondering since the extensions the cost of staying fully grounded rather than flying a limited Intra-Canadian schedule.

DL752 :airplane:

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:08 pm

yzfElite wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
yzfElite wrote:

9 months ago they were a going concern with customers, routes, etc. Getting going again now will likely result in running unprofitable routes for an extended period. It's not like business travel will rebound overnight. In order not to lose market share they would have to re-start at some point, but I never did fully understand their model. I usually only fly them YOW-YYZ and family/friends I have only fly them when it's the cheapest fare to Atlantic Canada. I've clearly been wrong for years and may be again.

It seems to me that much of what you've written was true when they shut down too and is really indepdent of the length of the shutdown. PD has a unique enough product that folks will come back when they need to fly Toronto-Chicago or Montreal-Toronto or other routes where PD makes sense. Most of PD's routes skew business-heavy and that makes their road somewhat tougher, but this, too, was true when they shut down too.

micstatic

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm

I've never flown them but have always admired their niche. Not to mention I'm a big fan of the Q400. Really hope they are not a casualty here.

steveinbc

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

I agree this is the way to go. But Canada has been slow to vaccinate. In BC much of the effort is being directed to indigenous peoples in remote areas. It will be a while before we see Canada meet the percentages already being seen in the USA sadly

Given that private health care is severely restricted in Canada, business travelers will not be able too gain any special consideration. Interestingly, news reports are showing that health authority directors have taken the vaccinations before front line workers and of course politicians are first in line!! What a joke !

CFWAD

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Porter will be fine and will fly once again.

Porter owns all their aircraft. In recent years they sold their Blily Bishop Terminal property for around $800 million. Last year they received $135 million commercial financing from Export Development Canada. And, as stated, they have saved a great deal with ZERO flying vs their competition.

Air Canada and WestJet has pulled out so much in the Maritimes and reduced QC and ON stations; Porter has the potential to open a swath of new city pairings in Q3 and Q4 and grow their footprint.

I think it will be exiting to see what new markets they will tap into, as they will have to shift a good chunk of capacity from their YTZ-YOW/YUL routes.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 pm

CFWAD wrote:

Porter owns all their aircraft. In recent years they sold their Blily Bishop Terminal property for around $800 million. Last year they received $135 million commercial financing from Export Development Canada. And, as stated, they have saved a great deal with ZERO flying vs their competition.

Air Canada and WestJet has pulled out so much in the Maritimes and reduced QC and ON stations; Porter has the potential to open a swath of new city pairings in Q3 and Q4 and grow their footprint.

I think it will be exiting to see what new markets they will tap into, as they will have to shift a good chunk of capacity from their YTZ-YOW/YUL routes.

Speaking of, I'm surprised that PD doesn't attempt to fill in the gap in Atlantic Canada. They have the advantage right now of only needing to pay parking fees and some maintenance upkeep right now.

777luver

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
CFWAD wrote:

Speaking of, I'm surprised that PD doesn't attempt to fill in the gap in Atlantic Canada. They have the advantage right now of only needing to pay parking fees and some maintenance upkeep right now.

There isn't any gap since the bubble and quarantine rules have all but sapped up demand, if WS and AC both pulled out for now, PD isn't going to attempt it

ArcticSEA

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 am

How have they kept their pilots current?
Running them through the sims?

INFINITI329

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 am

Are their aircraft stored in Canada or the U.S.?
I flew them several times and enjoyed their product. Its a pity the Canadian federal government did not allow for them to the expand to operate the A220 out of YTZ. They should seriously consider operating the A220 out of YOW & YUL until there is change in government. I hope they are airborne soon.

aamd11

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:52 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Are their aircraft stored in Canada or the U.S.?
I flew them several times and enjoyed their product. Its a pity the Canadian federal government did not allow for them to the expand to operate the A220 out of YTZ. They should seriously consider operating the A220 out of YOW & YUL until there is change in government. I hope they are airborne soon.

At the time of their grounding, all 29 Q400s were parked on the island. I believe/assume they are all still there where they can look after them with their own employees.

Edit: although I did randomly check a few, and I found that C-GLQQ appears have flown to Muskoka on New Years Eve... either an executive retreat to cottage country, or perhaps going to get a fresh coat of paint.

airman99o

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm

Out for a walk along the lakeshore a few days ago I can for sure say that the fleet is parked on the island . Not 100% sure if it was the full fleet but it pretty much looked like it.
Also a few of Trans Capital Dash 7s had been in the mix of parked aircraft. First time in a long time walking along the shore line and it was Erie not to hear a buzz of a Q 400 landing or taxiing.

dr1980

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm

Having the Q400 fleet stored at YTZ is interesting, it certainly does not meet the standard of being dry unlike other long term storage locations. I guess they’ve done the math that the savings of leaving them at YTZ outweigh whatever costs they I cut maintenance wise from the wetter climate (Toronto can be exceedingly humid in the summer for example).

Whiteguy

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
How have they kept their pilots current?
Running them through the sims?

They’re all laid off. With the fleet parked there’s no reason to keep them current for now.

aamd11

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm

In a totally unexpected development, the restart date has been pushed back again to June 21. That’s more or less fifteen months out of the skies over Toronto.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/p ... 59.article

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 pm

aamd11 wrote:
In a totally unexpected development, the restart date has been pushed back again to June 21. That’s more or less fifteen months out of the skies over Toronto.

Aren't COVID-19 cases spiking again in Toronto? The challenge for PD may be that they really need things under control both in the big cities in the US and in Toronto for restarting to make sense. Unfortunately, large, high-latitude cities are where the bulk of the current problems in North America are.

Dominion301

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
aamd11 wrote:

Aren't COVID-19 cases spiking again in Toronto? The challenge for PD may be that they really need things under control both in the big cities in the US and in Toronto for restarting to make sense. Unfortunately, large, high-latitude cities are where the bulk of the current problems in North America are.

Not just Toronto, but all over Canada. Take Porter’s 2nd biggest station Ottawa that has seen 3 consecutive days of record COVID-19 numbers. Interesting this time it’s only about 3 more weeks of delays.

chonetsao

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Not just Toronto, but all over Canada. Take Porter’s 2nd biggest station Ottawa that has seen 3 consecutive days of record COVID-19 numbers. Interesting this time it’s only about 3 more weeks of delays.

The consensus among the media I am following in UK believes Biden administration may open boarder to UK, EU, Canada and Mexico by middle of May. Although my personal guess is during the G7 meeting in June, there may be possibilities of making the actual announcement for opening by July 4th. I think airlines must be gearing towards the end of June reopening of the boarder for flights, however limited it will be. I am still hopefully that we could see some meaningful return in international aviation activity among Canada, USA, UK and Europe by end of June.
Last edited by chonetsao on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baje427

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 pm

Is there a feeling that they may never restart?

Insertnamehere

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 pm

baje427 wrote:

I really hope not. They were a really interesting airline that had a lot going for them with trans-border flying.

However 15 months with no revenue I don't see how an airline, let alone any business short of the cruise industry could really survive that sort of shutdown.

Dominion301

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
baje427 wrote:

I really hope not. They were a really interesting airline that had a lot going for them with trans-border flying.

However 15 months with no revenue I don't see how an airline, let alone any business short of the cruise industry could really survive that sort of shutdown.

They were nearly debt-free a year ago. Their cash burn since then will have been relatively low. In addition, now that AC has set the bar for the government’s very favourable Ts&Cs, Porter will have ample access to liquidity.

aamd11

Mon May 17, 2021 6:33 pm

As some (maybe just the ultra-cynical, like me) may have expected, the restart date has been pushed back another month. The new target is now July 20th.

Source: CBC https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder- ... -1.6029410

Late June didn’t make much sense to me. Their core business travel slows around then and the focus becomes leisure markets where yields aren’t as good. A launch before September still doesn’t make much sense to me, but I suppose in the current demand environment all bets are off… business yields might be better in normal times, but the volume could be horrendous especially on regional routes for a while. Maybe it would be better to try to grab a slice of leisure traffic.

FlyingElvii

Porter Airlines Pushes Back Restart Again, to July 20

Wed May 19, 2021 3:06 am

Wow....
I am beginning to wonder if they will ever be able to restart.

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airline ... -2021.html

The City of Toronto cancelling all events through 6 September, including Exhibition, wipes out the summer for them.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 19, 2021 4:53 am

Porter is not in the best place and has to wait. Border is closed and even when it reopens they cater towards business and frequent flyers. I don't see their base back in large numbers even if the border opens. Nobody is commuting between toronto and nyc anytime soon even if the border reopens. Porters base is exactly the last group to come back I'm sorry to say.

They need to weather this storm. Maybe some leisure routes for the fall/winter are not the worst idea. It's a tough situation they mostly have to just wait out

airman99o

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:26 pm

And Pushed back again . August 3rd. Tentatively.....

dr1980

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:21 pm

According to this article they now plan to restart flights July 20, having secured government loans of $270.5m. Like other Canadian Airlines that have received loans, this will include refunding passenger tickets

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/porter- ... -1.5492682

aamd11

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:44 pm

dr1980 wrote:
According to this article they now plan to restart flights July 20, having secured government loans of $270.5m. Like other Canadian Airlines that have received loans, this will include refunding passenger tickets

CTV are mistaken. August 3 is the current proposed restart date.

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/travel- ... advisories

Edit: though the date they quote apparently came from the CEO. They have form for canceling and then reinstating flights, so maybe they are about to revert to their July 20 date.

Dominion301

Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm

aamd11 wrote:
dr1980 wrote:

CTV are mistaken. August 3 is the current proposed restart date.

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/travel- ... advisories

Edit: though the date they quote apparently came from the CEO. They have form for canceling and then reinstating flights, so maybe they are about to revert to their July 20 date.

Their website still says August 3rd: https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/

I'm thinking now that they've secured financing that this time the restart will be a go on Aug 3rd. I just don't know why though they've haven't published a realistic reduced schedule. 14x/day on YTZ-YOW and 13x on YTZ-YUL is the typical PD summer sked. You'd think they'd relaunch with 1/2 that amount given that short-haul biz traffic is still non-existent.

yzfElite

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:42 am

If they can fill 3x YTZ-YOW at the moment I would be surprised. Anyone I know is driving or taking the train, no need to fly for a four hour drive at this point in time. It's different if connecting elsewhere, but O/D traffic doesn't need Porter at the moment because there's very little of it and most is choosing other methods from my anecdotal info. I mean they can hopefully get in on the mad rush of everyone to get a visit in back east to Atlantic Canada after a lost year least year of summer vacations and xmas holidays.

yyz717

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Porter is now reporting a Sept 8th restart for select Canadian destinations. US destinations will begin Sept 17.

Porter has also released a schedule of flights. It looks like the entire network is returning by mid-October.

micstatic

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:43 pm

Why is Canada taking so long to reopen?

ramprat320

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:25 pm

micstatic wrote:

Justin Trudeau.

dr1980

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Odd that they’ve decided to sit out the entire domestic tourist season?

ryan78

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:50 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
micstatic wrote:

Justin Trudeau.

You can add Doug Ford to that list for Ontario as well. We still can't eat inside restaurants and haven't been able to do so since November...

Odd that Porter chose to restart the week schools are back in, there is usually a sharp drop off in leisure traffic after the summer, and I don't think business traffic will rebound as quickly. The Can/US border should re-open July 21 if Trudeau can get his head out of his you know what, that would have been a nice boost in August for Porter but I guess they don't see it happeneing.

Jamie514

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:32 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
micstatic wrote:

Justin Trudeau.

Sorry no. Canada has excelled at getting vaccine into arms faster than most other countries who do not host domestic mRNA production.

Provincial governments set their reopening timeline. Ottawa didn't decide Sask and Alberta could reopen this month while Quebec, Ontario and BC hold off till late August. These are entirely provincial decisions. They can choose to look at the federal guidelines or not.

yyztpa

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Jamie514 wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:
micstatic wrote:

Justin Trudeau.

Sorry no. Canada has excelled at getting vaccine into arms faster than most other countries who do not host domestic mRNA production.

Provincial governments set their reopening timeline. Ottawa didn't decide Sask and Alberta could reopen this month while Quebec, Ontario and BC hold off till late August. These are entirely provincial decisions. They can choose to look at the federal guidelines or not.

Congrats on the vaccines. Still doesn't answer the slow and unpredictable opening.

As for Porter, their full start list can be found here: http://eporter.flyporter.com/relaunch/index.html

basspaul

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:13 pm

micstatic wrote:

Canada, especially Ontario and Quebec, were hit hard by the third wave. The third wave was, in part, fueled by relaxation of restrictions (and adherence to them). I think the governments are being extra paranoid now. The economy, overall, is doing OK even with the continued restrictions. With the vaccinations going well now and case numbers dropping quickly, many restrictions are now starting to be lifted with the hope of a full reopening in the fall. Here in Quebec, the goal is 75% of the 12yr+ population fully vaccinated (two doses) before all the restrictions are lifted, barring some new variant.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:45 pm

yyztpa wrote:
Jamie514 wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:

Justin Trudeau.

Congrats on the vaccines. Still doesn't answer the slow and unpredictable opening.

It does, in part. Re-openings are set by provincial governments but the border restrictions are maintained by the national government. Isn't federalism grand?

Canada has done fairly well with first injection rates but lags in full vaccination. Want to know why the U.S.-Canada border isn't open:

Canada full injection rate: 35%

U.S. full injection rate: 47%

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccin ... y=OWID_WRL

If Trudeau wants 70% of Americans to have received a first dose before re-opening, he may be waiting a while.

Canadians wouldn't be happy to have Americans visit but not be able to go to the U.S. themselves, would they?

yzfElite

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:21 pm

There is likely strong demand for July/August travel to Atlantic Canada, why would Porter have waited for September? With limited business travel and vacation travel going off a cliff for back to school, this is head scratching. Best I can figure is they haven't settled their terminal lawsuit and took too long to work out issues with the feds for their grant. Without winter vacation flying to do, this is going to be a hard ride out of the pandemic for Porter IMO.

yyztpa

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:54 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
yyztpa wrote:
Jamie514 wrote:

It does, in part. Re-openings are set by provincial governments but the border restrictions are maintained by the national government. Isn't federalism grand?

Canada has done fairly well with first injection rates but lags in full vaccination. Want to know why the U.S.-Canada border isn't open:

Canada full injection rate: 35%

U.S. full injection rate: 47%

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccin ... y=OWID_WRL

If Trudeau wants 70% of Americans to have received a first dose before re-opening, he may be waiting a while.

Canadians wouldn't be happy to have Americans visit but not be able to go to the U.S. themselves, would they?

Canada is doing admirably well with vaccination and kudos for those efforts. On partial vaccination, #1
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... EU~ITA~IND

On full vaccination, climbing fast and likely to overtake US soon:
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... EU~ITA~IND

yzfElite wrote:
There is likely strong demand for July/August travel to Atlantic Canada, why would Porter have waited for September? With limited business travel and vacation travel going off a cliff for back to school, this is head scratching. Best I can figure is they haven't settled their terminal lawsuit and took too long to work out issues with the feds for their grant. Without winter vacation flying to do, this is going to be a hard ride out of the pandemic for Porter IMO.

Porter and other Canadian airlines weren't financially assisted to keep flying like those in other countries. The least they can hope for is clear governmental messaging and expectations tied to vaccinations which gives them faith in their re-opening plans. Lack of that could be why Porter is being cautious and going with September, and not August.

tofur

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:24 am

Porter Airlines is likely being prudent in waiting till after Labour Day to restart operations. The core passenger base at Porter has always been the business traveller. Perhaps by then there will be some business travel which will contribute to their coffers; as opposed to lugging around a bunch of vacationers at ridiculously low fares seen this summer, adding little to nothing of value to their bottom line.

As for reopening.....pick your poison wisely! Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario all suffered immeasurably from loosening restrictions too early with out of control cases, hospitalizations and deaths. For those politically savvy, you may notice a trend there. The borders and remaining closed businesses will reopen soon, likely later this month. We should then be in a position to reopen and face any new hurdles this virus may throw our way with vaccination targets being met.

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:26 am

I was surprised to receive today an email from PD. It was nothing more than "can't wait to welcome you back," but I don't think I've had an email form from them since they shut down.

micstatic

Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:36 am

yzfElite wrote:

Porter and other Canadian airlines weren't financially assisted to keep flying like those in other countries. The least they can hope for is clear governmental messaging and expectations tied to vaccinations which gives them faith in their re-opening plans. Lack of that could be why Porter is being cautious and going with September, and not August.[/quote]

Air Canada got almost 5B US in april

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos