Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Corpsnerd09
Topic Author

Delta to end Ready Reserve in July 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:04 pm

Rumor on Facebook airline groups is that Delta will be ending its ready reserve program in 2021 for ACS and Cargo. A screenshot of an internal email from Eric Phillips, SVP - ACS and Cargo is used to justify it as accurate. I have a screenshot from Facebook but not sure how to upload it here.

Anyone can confirm?
Last edited by Corpsnerd09 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deltran757

Re: Rumor: Delta to end Ready Reserve in July 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 pm

It’s confirm. They sent out a email to every ACS and Cargo agents.
To see the world... One plane at a time

CaptHadley

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 pm

Starts in July. Seasonal workers remain the same.

alasizon

Re: Delta to end Ready Reserve in July 2021

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
I have a screenshot from Facebook but not sure how to upload it here.

Upload it to imgur or another photo hosting site then use the [img] tags to include the photo in your post.

Very interested to see how this effects costs and what changes they make overall as part of the phase-out.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

BTV290

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Starts in July. Seasonal workers remain the same.

Supposedly changes to the seasonal program are coming as well.

I think the buy out left some stations very short staffed. To the point where they were getting close to having to hire to cover the operation they had. This was the answer--better use the resources already on property than deal with the hassle and "not good look" of hiring so soon after a massive buy out program.

9lflyguy

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 am

Can someone explain what this means for us who can't see the email? Are those workers being phased out or being brought on to a part or full time status?
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

FCOTSTW

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 am

Wonderful topic, however what is Ready Reserve? A reserve status for flight attendants or what? Unless you want to limit your topic to fewer that 5 posts, please explain.

TheGov

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:08 am

FCOTSTW wrote:
Wonderful topic, however what is Ready Reserve? A reserve status for flight attendants or what? Unless you want to limit your topic to fewer that 5 posts, please explain.

Unless the program has changed, it was a part time program with no guaranteed number of work hours. When I hired on in 1985, the program had just started with airport positions on the ramp as well as ticket counter/gates. At some point, they added Ready Reserves to reservations, but I am not familiar with their set up. At the airport, during the summer rush, I might would work a 40 hour week. During the slow season, I might work one Saturday every other week; it depended upon staffing due to vacations, etc. The plus to the program is that I enjoyed flight benefits and the pay was significantly above minimum wage. Additionally, it was a gateway in to full time status. About once a month, the assistant station manager would come around asking us if we wanted to transfer to JFK, EWR, LGA or DCA to make full time. I don't think anyone every took him up on it!
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

WassbiKhalifa

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:44 am

I've actually been employed at Delta in four different ways. I was a 'summer help' on the ramp in 1984-85 while out of college for the summer in ATL. Just three months a year sort of guaranteed. Then I was moved to ready reserve and on the ramp back then I could work how ever many hours I wanted. Then in 1987 I moved to TPT or temporary part time as a gate agent. One step closer to full time. Then I was really lucky and made Full Time the same week I graduated from college in 1988. Also you had to play a game of move to a station you could make CSA or SCSA to get full time. I made FT in cabin service but wanted out of there so I bid on many cities and ORF called and I went there as a Customer Service Agent. I know people who moved all over the place to upgrade themselves. Lots went to LGA or DCA because the churn was so bad there.

tjerome

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:54 am

Ready reserve these days is part time employees who work 20-25 hours per week for a max of 1,400 hours per year. They get flight benefits, a 401k which DL puts an automatic 3% into (they didn’t match when that rolled out and AFAIK that’s still the case). It’s flexible to get swaps/time off, but in some places it’s difficult to move up. I’m pretty surprised to see this happen given all the money that went down the drain last year but I’m all for good news.

usdcaguy

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 am

Ready Reserve is a pretty crummy idea to begin with. No other airline has it. You should get scheduled instead of being expected to work when you're called in so you can pick up shifts at other places. There is a lot of training that goes into being a CSA, and to not bring in money when you need to pay bills is really harsh. AA has never had a program like this, and I wouldn't expect them to in the future. The airlines have often expected their employees' lives to be subsidized by other people, and those people have paid dearly for it.

BTV290

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 am

usdcaguy wrote:
Ready Reserve is a pretty crummy idea to begin with. No other airline has it. You should get scheduled instead of being expected to work when you're called in so you can pick up shifts at other places. There is a lot of training that goes into being a CSA, and to not bring in money when you need to pay bills is really harsh. AA has never had a program like this, and I wouldn't expect them to in the future. The airlines have often expected their employees' lives to be subsidized by other people, and those people have paid dearly for it.

That's not how Ready Reserve works/worked. The name is misleading and I think is more applicable to what it used to be. For the entire 2.5 years I was Ready Reserve, I had a set schedule I'd get 6 months at a time, and would bid for just like everyone else. It was usually 4x6hr shifts per week, and the shifts usually lined up well with other shifts for easy swapping and doubling. I was never "on call" or "not guaranteed time". The only differences between the Ready Reserve program and a standard part time job were no healthcare and a max of 1400 work hours per year... But other than that, it was a pretty nice side gig you could work around another job whilst you bided your time.

Corpsnerd09
Topic Author

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 pm

Anyone know their reasoning for getting rid of it? The email was kind of vague. Some in the posts have stated a lack of health insurance due to the 1499 hour limit has been disastrous for them during COVID, but I don't know if that's the truth or only reason

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:28 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Ready Reserve is a pretty crummy idea to begin with. No other airline has it.

That doesn't mean other U.S. carriers don't want it. Their (mostly unionized) labor crafts wouldn't permit it. You may not like flexible labor agreements (Uber, Door Dash, Ryanair and Norwegian hosting labor agreements in 3rd countries) but they are definitely A Thing. Get the government to prohibit them and it just drives up labor costs and reduces total factor productivity, reducing profits or increasing fares. Like free markets? Ready Reserve is evidence of a free market in labor in the way that a pilot labor agreement that identifies size of planes to be flown, number of planes to be flown, number of seats on the plane, restrict contracted flying between hubs, pre-emptively define nature of JV agreements, that the planes shall have company name prominently displayed... emphatically is not.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

That doesn't mean other U.S. carriers don't want it. Their (mostly unionized) labor crafts wouldn't permit it. You may not like flexible labor agreements (Uber, Door Dash, Ryanair and Norwegian hosting labor agreements in 3rd countries) but they are definitely A Thing. Get the government to prohibit them and it just drives up labor costs and reduces total factor productivity, reducing profits or increasing fares. Like free markets? Ready Reserve is evidence of a free market in labor in the way that a pilot labor agreement that identifies size of planes to be flown, number of planes to be flown, number of seats on the plane, restrict contracted flying between hubs, pre-emptively define nature of JV agreements, that the planes shall have company name prominently displayed... emphatically is not.

I also don't see how Ready Reserve is or was necessarily anti-worker. True, it's not right for every worker and there are probably Ready Reserve folks who would prefer full-time, but it seems perfect for some groups, like students.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 pm

What's the rationale? Obviously cost-cutting austerity measure but how are they going to cover the stations?

- Reduced hours / staffing requirements, that can be covered with FT?
- Going to contract / outsourced?

lightsaber

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
What's the rationale? Obviously cost-cutting austerity measure but how are they going to cover the stations?

I would expect a realization of reduced going forward demand. The lockdowns are brutal on the economy. When I postponed a flight this week, the DL agent had a bit of dark humor on how little demand there was.

It goes off topic, but until there is a massive infrastructure spending instead of paying people to sit, I do not believe we will have a rebound. That was true in US and Germany in the 1930s. This is a global crisis and until the big importers can afford to buy again, all traffic is down.

One benefit should be a reduction in executives managing the ready reserve. This tells me DL is retrenching.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Ih8b6

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:10 pm

lightsaber wrote:

......One benefit should be a reduction in executives managing the ready reserve. This tells me DL is retrenching.

Lightsaber
[/quote]

Wishful thinking and very unlikely given the current leaders who seem to enjoy adding execs when able. In fact, DL just announced this morning they hired two executive level outsiders for leadership jobs. One is a new position. But hey, at least they got rid of the do-nothing, selfie-snappin’ SVP of Sustainability...
Over-moderation sucks

dc10co

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

As far as I understand it they’re just ending the ready reserve program not getting rid of the workers who are ready reserve. Currently ACS/Ramp RR’s are limited to 1,400 hours per year and cannot exceed this no matter what. As others have mentioned the massive participation in DL’s buyout have led to many stations being extremely short and removing the hour cap allows DL to better utilize manpower that is already employed versus investing a lot of money in hiring and training a large amount of new employees.

Essentially all RR agents will transition to regular part time employees who can be scheduled up to 30 hours and who can now work as many hours as they want (which is what every other airline has) and will now hopefully be eligible for benefits like insurance and paid vacation. Also a good way for DL to help stave off the IAM and other unionization efforts as the hour cap/lack of bennies/lack of upward mobility were a chief complaint of most long term RR agents. In many stations it takes YEARS to be able to get to a full time position with insurance and other benefits.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a difference between RR and PT, I always assumed RR was the defacto-PT workforce just to augment FT.

dlflynhayn

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

Pretty funny, there are lots of employees here at DL that either on the older side or students so it works perfectly sorry your airline couldn't get throw all that red tape with unions..You know what i found interesting on AA baggage service in LAX not sure about other airports but there all contract employees with maybe one AA rep present if your lucky,Contract employes imho are a risk in that dept but hey not my company reminds me when we had contract people in our cargo dept worse idea ever!

RJNUT

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm

as a retiree i have considered RR preferably at TVC. I have worked ground and CSA before, but this was back in the 80's and 90's. COVID and cancel culture with videos has cured me ,now, of the excitement of the travel industry once and for all, LOL! But it seemed to be a good program for me when I 1st investigated, as someone mentioned above about its popularity with students and seniors.

lifecomm

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 pm

I am going to retire in the next five years and I was considering a RR position - mostly for the flight benefits, as I want to do lots of travel. I always make it a policy to speak to the RR staff I see - they are pretty obvious, for the most part. I have always been told how much they enjoy the job - talking to people, helping them and, of course, the flight benefits.

jayunited

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 pm

This is all very fascinating, I'm not sure how I feel about Ready Reserve United never had a program like this and we didn't have people moving around to make full time instead we have people moving around to line stations as they get closer to retirement.

I started at United temporary full time at ORD as a UMR (unaccompanied minor runner) first during the summer then laid off, was brought back in early November for the holidays, was laid off again the first Monday in second week of January. I was brought back again for spring break this time in the paging office (temporary full time) remained in that position through the summer and applied for ORD rampservice. Was laid off for 2 weeks in mid-September before starting permanent full time on the ramp at ORD in October where I spent 18 year before coming to Willis Tower.

Several people stated the max hours on ready reserve is 1400 per year. That not bad considering 52 weeks a year with at least 2 days off every week. Some people also stated they picked pick up additional hours on ready reserve as well. My question is what happens once you hit your 1400 hours and why were the hours limited to 1400 for the year?

Another question is say for example a person decided to pick up a lot of hours during spring break and over the summer and they hit 1400 hours by mid-September are they removed from the schedule for the remainder of the year because they hit the 1400 hour cap?

djack

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:48 am

usdcaguy wrote:

You didn't have to be a Ready Reserve, there were still FT and PT positions, if available. I was a Ready Reserve 2004-05 while in college and loved it. Because I didn't have to bid for a shift I didn't have to worry about my class schedule conflicting with a set-in stone work schedule or trying to bid for days off. The managers had my class schedule and knew where to find me. Sometimes they would fill up my schedule with shifts other times they'd call me up the night before when a hole in the schedule needed to be filled. The situation was mutually beneficial.

Kiosks had just been introduced at TPA and I mostly worked a large bank of 30 kiosks along with a handful of skycaps. I would encourage/teach people to use the kiosk and had pretty basic DeltaTerm capabilities.

Did I mentioned that as a senior in college I used and abused my travel pass? Hawaii, Europe, Canada, weekend trips to New York. TPA-TLH became my 25-minute shuttle to visit friends at FSU (4-hour drive). When I graduated I headed to DC for grad school I called the DCA station manager nonstop to take me on as an RR. Still waiting for my call back. Loved that job.

NWAESC

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 am

jayunited wrote:
This is all very fascinating, I'm not sure how I feel about Ready Reserve United never had a program like this and we didn't have people moving around to make full time instead we have people moving around to line stations as they get closer to retirement.

I started at United temporary full time at ORD as a UMR (unaccompanied minor runner) first during the summer then laid off, was brought back in early November for the holidays, was laid off again the first Monday in second week of January. I was brought back again for spring break this time in the paging office (temporary full time) remained in that position through the summer and applied for ORD rampservice. Was laid off for 2 weeks in mid-September before starting permanent full time on the ramp at ORD in October where I spent 18 year before coming to Willis Tower.

Several people stated the max hours on ready reserve is 1400 per year. That not bad considering 52 weeks a year with at least 2 days off every week. Some people also stated they picked pick up additional hours on ready reserve as well. My question is what happens once you hit your 1400 hours and why were the hours limited to 1400 for the year?

Another question is say for example a person decided to pick up a lot of hours during spring break and over the summer and they hit 1400 hours by mid-September are they removed from the schedule for the remainder of the year because they hit the 1400 hour cap?

They try avoid that. Some people may be restricted from picking up shifts, or have their regular hours cut to stay under the cap.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

toltommy

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57 am

RJNUT wrote:
as a retiree i have considered RR preferably at TVC. I have worked ground and CSA before, but this was back in the 80's and 90's. COVID and cancel culture with videos has cured me ,now, of the excitement of the travel industry once and for all, LOL! But it seemed to be a good program for me when I 1st investigated, as someone mentioned above about its popularity with students and seniors.

TVC isn't mainline. It was a Regional Elite/DGS station post merger. Not sure if that has changed.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

wv399

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:16 am

TheGov wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

Unless the program has changed, it was a part time program with no guaranteed number of work hours. When I hired on in 1985, the program had just started with airport positions on the ramp as well as ticket counter/gates. At some point, they added Ready Reserves to reservations, but I am not familiar with their set up. At the airport, during the summer rush, I might would work a 40 hour week. During the slow season, I might work one Saturday every other week; it depended upon staffing due to vacations, etc. The plus to the program is that I enjoyed flight benefits and the pay was significantly above minimum wage. Additionally, it was a gateway in to full time status. About once a month, the assistant station manager would come around asking us if we wanted to transfer to JFK, EWR, LGA or DCA to make full time. I don't think anyone every took him up on it!

Res no longer offers Ready Reserve, or even part-time. There's a small group left of grandfathered employees. You'd think a 24 hour call center would be perfect for RR, but they don't think so. The best setup for flight privileges is Seasonal Ready Reserve because the hours and work periods are so short.

usdcaguy

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

What would you think of Ready Reserve in flight ops? Good idea or no? The idea of a free labor market sounds great until it drives wages and job security down so low it ends up depriving people of disposal income to sustain growth in the free market. Regardless, I suppose RR is great for students but not the millions of workers out there that need yet another dependable part-time job to feed their families.

NW

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:50 am

jayunited wrote:

This has always been a very touchy subject. In DTW a memo was sent out a few years ago warning those who were getting close to the max hours that they had to get it under control or they would have to be replaced and if they were not needed once the new ready reserve year started they would be terminated. The memo was picked up by the IAM and they ran with that. In my station the night shift ready reserves always hit their max hours about 6 weeks before the end of their year. They are always told they need to give away hours to not go over before their year is up. Problem is they are not picking up any hours they are simply staying when we have delayed flights.

Personally I never cared for the ready reserve program because is severely diluted seniority.

NW

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Interesting, I didn't realize there was a difference between RR and PT, I always assumed RR was the defacto-PT workforce just to augment FT.

The titles are often misused even at Delta. We technically, currently, have Customer Service Agent, Ready Reserve and Seasonal. Customer Service Agent can be classified as, based on the line they bid, Regular Full Time or Regular Part Time. Since the merger and the increased utilization of Ready Reserves, most stations have moved towards only Regular Full Time for Customer Service Agents.

N312RC

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:13 am

I started at Delta nearly 12 years ago under the RR program, and here are my views:

- I knew exactly what I was getting into when I took the job. It was clearly explained and I worked with a lot of people (students, retirees), who felt the position was perfect for them. The scheduling was extremely flexible and we often bid one month at a time, selecting shifts in seniority order. We could work as little or as much as we wanted, mindful of the yearly hours cap.

- There were repeated opportunities to upgrade to regular CSA at my station, which I did after a year. Funny enough, I actually took a pay cut to do that, but was fully benefitted at that point and not subject to the hours cap. Advancement.

- RR was a door into my first “real” mainline carrier and launched me into higher levels. There has always been opportunity within Delta if you apply yourself. It’s not perfect and I’m no kool-aid drinker by any means (I’ve faced serious adversity), but the program wasn’t ever this horrid terrible thing.

Something else of note is that Delta had “TPT” or Temporary Part Time for years and years prior to RR. People would bid into other stations to come off TPT and become RPT or RFT. Normal practice.

Again, just like anything - it’s what you make of it - and it’s about having clear expectations. If I wanted a full time, lifetime agent job I would have applied at WN or something. I saw a path at Delta and applied myself and did more. Some stayed RR because of where they were/are in their life (student, retiree, full time mom looking for some travel benefits, etc) and that’s OK too.

Just my views.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I read something a couple of months ago, I think on APC, that DL was trying to cut the number of pass-eligible employees, by getting rid of the large number of ghost employees they are carrying. For many, RR is a hobby job. They work the minimum hours, but get flight benefits.

DL757NYC

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

You have not clue what you are talking about. Ready Reserve employees bid on schedules and have set work hours. They can swap shifts. They must work a minimum of 600-700 hours a year and max out at 1400. No one was sitting home waiting for a call to work. In the beginning it was 2 days or 3 days 6 hours per shift. Then it went to 4 days a week. There was a summer bid and a winter bid. You worked the same schedule until the bid ended. It’s not a crummy program. It gave Delta a flexible work force. Many in the beginning were professionals who wanted either extra money or flight benefits. And even some who just enjoyed working with airplanes. That crummy program was the reason why I met my wife, met my best friend. Helped me buy my first home from buying stock at 7 dollars. It allowed me the privilege to fly all over the world and do some really great things. And meet a variety of interesting and famous people. It’s exciting when you sit down and Robert Plant is sitting next to you in first class. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity I had. I never expected so much to come from Delta but it brought me many good things. The best 10 years of my life.

jayunited

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 pm

NW wrote:
jayunited wrote:

This has always been a very touchy subject. In DTW a memo was sent out a few years ago warning those who were getting close to the max hours that they had to get it under control or they would have to be replaced and if they were not needed once the new ready reserve year started they would be terminated. The memo was picked up by the IAM and they ran with that. In my station the night shift ready reserves always hit their max hours about 6 weeks before the end of their year. They are always told they need to give away hours to not go over before their year is up. Problem is they are not picking up any hours they are simply staying when we have delayed flights.

Personally I never cared for the ready reserve program because is severely diluted seniority.

Thank you so much for your response I've always heard about ready reserve but this is the first time I'm actually getting information from people with first hand knowledge of ready reserve. Delta is serious about the 1400 hour yearly cap i find it fascinating that an airline places a hard limits hours. United has no such cap on part timers hours they can pick up as many hours as they want during the year.

One last question do ready reserve employees qualify for overtime? Here at United you first have to work 40 hours in a single week then anything else (except picking up someone shift) qualifies as over time. If someone picks up another person shift that is payout as straight pay. Do ready reservers get paid overtime at Delta?

CaptainLeo

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 pm

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Rumor on Facebook airline groups is that Delta will be ending its ready reserve program in 2021 for ACS and Cargo. A screenshot of an internal email from Eric Phillips, SVP - ACS and Cargo is used to justify it as accurate. I have a screenshot from Facebook but not sure how to upload it here.

Anyone can confirm?

I saw it on The Ferry Godfather Facebook page too. It’s such a good source of info! Congrats to all the Ready Reserves for finally getting what they’ve wanted for so long.

NW

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:46 am

jayunited wrote:
NW wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Thank you so much for your response I've always heard about ready reserve but this is the first time I'm actually getting information from people with first hand knowledge of ready reserve. Delta is serious about the 1400 hour yearly cap i find it fascinating that an airline places a hard limits hours. United has no such cap on part timers hours they can pick up as many hours as they want during the year.

One last question do ready reserve employees qualify for overtime? Here at United you first have to work 40 hours in a single week then anything else (except picking up someone shift) qualifies as over time. If someone picks up another person shift that is payout as straight pay. Do ready reservers get paid overtime at Delta?

The 1400 hour cap is due to government rules/regulations that require Delta to offer certain benefits to employees who work more than 1400 hours. I'm not certain what benefits though.

Ready reserves only get overtime after working 40 scheduled/held over hours in a week. Customer Service Agents get overtime for any hours worked over 8 scheduled/held over in a day or 40 in a week.

jfern022

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:09 am

toltommy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

TVC isn't mainline. It was a Regional Elite/DGS station post merger. Not sure if that has changed.

Good ole REAS. Don’t miss those days at all. Glad to be at mainline.

deltal1011man

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:19 pm

toltommy wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

IIRC only two stations have switched to mainline post merger is RDU and AUS. Potential talk of MIA coming back in-house as well pre-COVID

I had a list of all the mainline stations somewhere but can't find it now. The vast majority came from PMNW though. I think PMDL was down to like 15 stations including hubs.

NWAESC

Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:42 pm

RDU and AUS are the only adds for ramp post-merger. FNT was mainline, but is currently closed (likely for good?). There are a total of 44 stations staffed with mainline ramp employees.

Some color for those wondering about RR and what this may mean come July:

1. There isn't FT & PT at DL the way there is other places. Workers are spolit into "Benefited" and "Ready Reserve."
-Benefited lines can be less than 40.
-RR currently have a cap on annual hours worked. The minimum was 600 hours, but is currently waived.

Come July, both groups will be blended together by division, in seniority order.

Work schedules (bids) are done by a centralized committee in ATL, and demand planning/needs of service will determine the number of FT lines at any given station going forward. There is no fixed ratio or grandfathering for those currently holding 40 hr. lines. As an example, my station is ~60% benefited & 40 % RR. All benefited lines are 40 hrs. Going forward, there is nothing stopping the company from only having,say, 20% FT lines and the rest at reduced hours. I hope it doesn't play out that way, but it certainly could.

There is a lot of framing this as a "good news story," and for a lot of people it will be. The company also promised all RR's a shot at a benefited position w/in 5 yrs. of being hired. IMO, they can now claim to have held up their end of the deal.

At the same time, there are also a lot of people that are going to wake up one day and suddenly be PT again. It's something of a structural concession, and they're getting people to cheer for it.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Corpsnerd09
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 pm

NWAESC wrote:
RDU and AUS are the only adds for ramp post-merger. FNT was mainline, but is currently closed (likely for good?). There are a total of 44 stations staffed with mainline ramp employees.

Some color for those wondering about RR and what this may mean come July:

1. There isn't FT & PT at DL the way there is other places. Workers are spolit into "Benefited" and "Ready Reserve."
-Benefited lines can be less than 40.
-RR currently have a cap on annual hours worked. The minimum was 600 hours, but is currently waived.

Come July, both groups will be blended together by division, in seniority order.

Work schedules (bids) are done by a centralized committee in ATL, and demand planning/needs of service will determine the number of FT lines at any given station going forward. There is no fixed ratio or grandfathering for those currently holding 40 hr. lines. As an example, my station is ~60% benefited & 40 % RR. All benefited lines are 40 hrs. Going forward, there is nothing stopping the company from only having,say, 20% FT lines and the rest at reduced hours. I hope it doesn't play out that way, but it certainly could.

There is a lot of framing this as a "good news story," and for a lot of people it will be. The company also promised all RR's a shot at a benefited position w/in 5 yrs. of being hired. IMO, they can now claim to have held up their end of the deal.

At the same time, there are also a lot of people that are going to wake up one day and suddenly be PT again. It's something of a structural concession, and they're getting people to cheer for it.

That actually sounds the same as the furloughs and reductions being done at other airlines except instead of framing it as a furlough, they've twisted it into "no more RR!!!" And made it positive, then used that to create a new FT to PT ratio with reduced hours that works like a furlough or reduction but "isn't".

I've always said Delta's best department is not ops or financials, it's their PR team.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos