Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

behramjee
Topic Author

Delta further increases Dakar + Accra flights

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:21 pm

As per publication on the GDS system, Delta Airlines has opened for sale more weekly flights to West Africa for the IATA S21 season which are as follows:

JFK/DSS - frequencies increased to daily nonstop using a B763ER with an immediate turn around

Dep JFK 1930 Arr DSS 0705+1
Dep DSS 0910 Arr JFK 1350

JFK/ACC - frequencies increased to daily nonstop (vs S19 level) using a B763ER

ATL/LOS - frequencies increased to daily nonstop using an A332

JFK/LOS - maintained at 4 weekly A332 service level

gaystudpilot

Re: Delta further increases Dakar + Accra flights

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Has DL used the 763 to DSS, ACC or LOS before?

panamair

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:31 pm

DSS is the big story here..pre-Covid it was usually 2x weekly mostly on the 75S (though the 763 was a relatively frequent sub; I flew JFK-DSS in 2017 on the 763 for example). After a brief suspension this spring when the pandemic set in, it resumed this past summer on the 763 and has seen its frequency upped to 3x weekly and then 5x weekly (currently)..daily will be starting with the northern summer schedule.

ACC has always been between 4-7x weekly over the years with an alternate mix of 763 and 764.

LOS has pretty much been on the A330 since the start. There was a brief period a few months ago when it restarted from ATL on the 763 (which required a tech stop in DSS); right now ATL-LOS is being operated by an A333 though it will revert back to the pre-pandemic situation with the A332 this coming summer.

DylanHarvey

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Obviously there are the seating restrictions but does anyone know what the payload was looking like on the 764 from Accra. I think the 764 is probably around 229,000 pounds, I could see around around 30-33 tons of payload possible.

panamair

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
Obviously there are the seating restrictions but does anyone know what the payload was looking like on the 764 from Accra. I think the 764 is probably around 229,000 pounds, I could see around around 30-33 tons of payload possible.

Don’t have an answer to your question but I noticed that they have been putting the unrefurbished 764s on ACC the past few weeks (starting with the Christmas holidays).

DylanHarvey

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 am

panamair wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

Don’t have an answer to your question but I noticed that they have been putting the unrefurbished 764s on ACC the past few weeks (starting with the Christmas holidays).

Interesting, I wonder if they’re dedicating the refurbed ones to one or two routes.

evanb

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:16 am

I suspect that DL is reacting to the loss of capacity of SAA from West Africa to/from the US.

TropicalSky

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:50 am

this makes the most sense

evanb wrote:
I suspect that DL is reacting to the loss of capacity of SAA from West Africa to/from the US.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:49 pm

gaystudpilot wrote:
Has DL used the 763 to DSS, ACC or LOS before?

To ACC yes for a long time...though it has also used the 767-400ER.

panamair

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:52 pm

evanb wrote:

It's probably a combination of things (including those already mentioned):
- Africa is a lot of VFR and cargo traffic - those are the things that are doing well these days
- Africa not as affected as much by Covid travel restrictions (all 3 countries (Senegal, Nigeria, Ghana) are open to US residents/citizens, albeit with some testing and quarantine restrictions).
- preparing to counter UA's entry into ACC and LOS later this year
- make up for some capacity loss from SA
- carrying some of the Africa traffic that used to go through Europe (due to travel restrictions)

LightChop2Chop

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:07 pm

DL has successfully establish an African beachhead in ACC and LOS, and to a lesser extent DSS and JNB. Might we see them try CMH, CAI and NBO when covid is in the rearview mirror? Yes, I know they had planned NBO already, and got pulled at the midnight hour, but times are changing and I should think the A359 could do NBO JFK nonstop.

MIflyer12

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Continents don't matter. (And Africa is a big one.) Routes matter. The presence of ACC/LOS/JNB does nothing to sell tickets to CMH. The only plausible DL routes to CMH are JFK (already served by Air Maroc) and ATL. DL served CAI (killed off by the revolution in 2011) and AMM. Look at where Americans go and filter for city pairs served already, by plausible alliance connections, and by competitor connections.

Dieuwer

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Is there no concern about getting a COVID-19 test in ACC and/or LOS? Has Delta planned for this?

chonetsao

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Is there no concern about getting a COVID-19 test in ACC and/or LOS? Has Delta planned for this?

This indeed is a great question.

runway23

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
DL has successfully establish an African beachhead in ACC and LOS, and to a lesser extent DSS and JNB. Might we see them try CMH, CAI and NBO when covid is in the rearview mirror? Yes, I know they had planned NBO already, and got pulled at the midnight hour, but times are changing and I should think the A359 could do NBO JFK nonstop.
MIflyer12 wrote:
Continents don't matter. (And Africa is a big one.) Routes matter. The presence of ACC/LOS/JNB does nothing to sell tickets to CMH. The only plausible DL routes to CMH are JFK (already served by Air Maroc) and ATL. DL served CAI (killed off by the revolution in 2011) and AMM. Look at where Americans go and filter for city pairs served already, by plausible alliance connections, and by competitor connections.

Let’s try to get the codes right: Casablanca is CMN; Columbus, OH is CMH.

migair54

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:01 pm

DSS is an interesting place, new nice airport, New airline, Air Senegal is doing good with new planes A320, A330 and ATR and A220 soon, adding some new routes and if they do a good agreement with DL they could do a good job getting some traffic from West Africa via DSS, plances like Bamako, Conkry, Abuja, Abidjan, Cotonou...

One of the main airlines of west Africa was RAM but I read that they are looking to reduce the fleet and cut routes, so it is also a good moment to catch some traffic. Reducing from 59 planes to 39, 4 B787, 4 E190 and 12 B737 will leave soon.
https://onemileatatime.com/royal-air-ma ... 787-fleet/

West Africa is a big area with lack of reliable airlines, so they can get good loads and good cargo contracts to avoid going via Europe and a good partner in the area could be a great way to expand the operation and network in the area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos