Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

commpilot
Topic Author

Boutique Air PC-12 Wheel Falls Off.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm

On final to ORD and wheel fell off and landed in the backyard of a house. No injuries.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/wheel-falls-off-small-plane-ends-up-in-neighborhood-before-landing-at-ohare/2420406/

WN732

Re: Boutique Air PC-12 Wheel Falls Off.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm

commpilot wrote:
On final to ORD and wheel fell off and landed in the backyard of a house. No injuries.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/wheel-falls-off-small-plane-ends-up-in-neighborhood-before-landing-at-ohare/2420406/

Looks like a brand new tire. Doesn't seem good for whoever did the work.

flipdewaf

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Interesting that its a tyre and not the whole wheel, I was ready to say "someone didn't check everything was tight".

Fred

as739x

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:27 pm

This never happened to the mighty Caravan when I was operating IWD-ORD :)
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Francoflier

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I'd be more curious to see what happened to the airplane after it landed without a wheel...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

orlandocfi

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:30 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Interesting that its a tyre and not the whole wheel, I was ready to say "someone didn't check everything was tight".

Fred

The hub must have separated from the tire after impacting the ground. The video depicts someone carrying the hub.

twincommander

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Can't say this incident surprises me regarding Boutique.
Their MX Control is pushy to just sign stuff off and then combine that with their lack of knowledge of the aircraft... Local tech probably got distracted by their constant calling for updates.

UPNYGuy

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm

twincommander wrote:
Their MX Control is pushy to just sign stuff off and then combine that with their lack of knowledge of the aircraft... Local tech probably got distracted by their constant calling for updates.

wow. I didn’t know this about them. I have almost taken them a few times (used to operate out of ALB). Is your opinion that something serious is bound to occur?

SyracuseAvGeek

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:01 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
twincommander wrote:

wow. I didn’t know this about them. I have almost taken them a few times (used to operate out of ALB). Is your opinion that something serious is bound to occur?

Wow, surprising. I’ve been on only one of their flight and it seemed fine. Obviously I can’t tell from a single flight, but still a good flight.

I found this channel on YouTube with trip reports from a bunch of the places Boutique fly’s. Seems like he/she has been to most places they fly to except in the northeast:
https://youtube.com/c/GerardiAviationPh ... roductions
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

jayspilot

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:30 pm

if you watch the news footage you can see the wheel hub is cracked in half nearby.. the debris.

glad no one was hurt or killed on the ground and the plan stayed on the runway on landing.

having a gear problem is one thing you plan for but having 3 green indicators but no actual tire is a bit more concerning.

twincommander

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:12 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
twincommander wrote:

Wow, surprising. I’ve been on only one of their flight and it seemed fine. Obviously I can’t tell from a single flight, but still a good flight.

I found this channel on YouTube with trip reports from a bunch of the places Boutique fly’s. Seems like he/she has been to most places they fly to except in the northeast:

My opinion comes from experience. I've been on the other end of the phone being asked to "just sign it off" many times. If they called asking for help, i made damn sure the areas i touched were good. If they told me they've been having issues with this write up but nothing to go on, i would and tell them "if you want me to sign it off i need to T/S the issue."

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 pm

jayspilot wrote:
if you watch the news footage you can see the wheel hub is cracked in half nearby.. the debris.

glad no one was hurt or killed on the ground and the plan stayed on the runway on landing.

having a gear problem is one thing you plan for but having 3 green indicators but no actual tire is a bit more concerning.

That didn't look like the wheel hub, but the rim/wheel. It seems to be broken on the inner lip area, not where the rim split; it doesn't appear to be linked to the bolts holding the two halves.
Then again, it might have broken on impact with the ground.

MO11

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:47 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
twincommander wrote:

Like the accident in Texas nine months ago?

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Kenny Rogers sings........

TTailedTiger

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 pm

There seem to have been an awful lot of PC-12 accidents and incidents over the last 12 months.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm

A high performance plane being operated by low performance operators. Sort of like Learjet and used G IV experiences.

SkyVoice

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:25 pm

I wonder how the NASCAR stop-and-go penalty would work here . . . ?
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

n6238p

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:11 pm

as739x wrote:
This never happened to the mighty Caravan when I was operating IWD-ORD :)

Yeah everytime ACO shut down a runway, all the wheels were still attached.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:19 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
A high performance plane being operated by low performance operators. Sort of like Learjet and used G IV experiences.

Yeah, I'm not sure a PC-12 is a high performance airplane by any definition.
From my cold, dead hands

FlyOhioAviation

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:38 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I'm pretty darn sure by the definition of "high performance airplane" in the FAR-AIM it is

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 pm

FlyOhioAviation wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I'm pretty darn sure by the definition of "high performance airplane" in the FAR-AIM it is

So is a 182. That doesn’t make either a 182 or PC-12 a particularly difficult plane to fly. Especially when you operate a single pilot airplane in a 2 crew environment
From my cold, dead hands

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm

If your skills don’t match the plane, any plane is “high performance”, see the clown show in the GIV with the rapper on board a couple years ago.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If your skills don’t match the plane, any plane is “high performance”, see the clown show in the GIV with the rapper on board a couple years ago.

I don't think a BTQ crew is a low performance operator. Sure, they're not a 121 carrier, but they're far from unsafe.
From my cold, dead hands

bigb

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:35 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Per FAR 61.31(f)

Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—

I am pretty sure the PC-12 has way more than 200 HP.

FlyingElvii

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:04 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
twincommander wrote:

Been on Boutique several times, it is a nice ride. Arriving at the FBO instead of the terminal is a HUGE plus in my opinion, I am out of DFW in just minutes. Things happen... No injuries, no major aircraft damage. But the tech is going to have a sit down with the FAA for sure. Outstation FBO?

twincommander

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:41 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
twincommander wrote:

Been on Boutique several times, it is a nice ride. Arriving at the FBO instead of the terminal is a HUGE plus in my opinion, I am out of DFW in just minutes. Things happen... No injuries, no major aircraft damage. But the tech is going to have a sit down with the FAA for sure. Outstation FBO?

The tech will have some "'splainin" to do. The FAA will more likely want to know what was done on Boutiques end before they pursue action against the tech.

barney captain

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I'd be more curious to see what happened to the airplane after it landed without a wheel...

As am I. They likely had no idea of an issue until touchdown, making a loss of control on the ground a real possibility.
Southeast Of Disorder

UPNYGuy

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:26 am

twincommander wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:

My opinion comes from experience. I've been on the other end of the phone being asked to "just sign it off" many times. If they called asking for help, i made damn sure the areas i touched were good. If they told me they've been having issues with this write up but nothing to go on, i would and tell them "if you want me to sign it off i need to T/S the issue."

This is exactly what I was looking for. I kind of stopped paying attention to them since they left ALB.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos