Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

supersonicsiggy
Topic Author

Portsmouth International Airport at Pease KPSM Terminal Expansion

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:55 pm

The Terminal Expansion at KPSM opened for the first time today to passengers arriving on Allegiant Air flight 1547 from Punta Gorda, FL this morning.

Lots of photos in the link.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/local/2021/01/22/first-look-pease-airports-19-5-m-terminal-portsmouth/6668599002/

Cboyle

Re: Portsmouth International Airport at Pease KPSM Terminal Expansion

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Any sign of new airlines here in NH? B6? Breeze?

supersonicsiggy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 pm

Cboyle wrote:
Any sign of new airlines here in NH? B6? Breeze?

Believe me, we are trying! It was quite a blow to lose Frontier at KPSM but we are very actively looking for new Airlines and routes and hoping that the new terminal expansion will be an persuasive incentive.

Citrus1492

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:59 am

Hey, I was there back in 2007 on the first CMH-PSM-CMH Skybus turn. Diffenderffer was on the CMH-PSM segment. The 319 was as big as the terminal.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:24 am

Looks like a big improvement.

I had no idea they were even updating that sterile small one room, one gate terminal. I use to use PSM when Allegiant still had flights to FLL. Haven’t flown out of there for a couple years.

I guess their expansion explains the reason the free parking disappeared? That was a great perk before they started charging. Parking for a week or two for no charge.
Last edited by pwm2txlhopper on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

LotsaRunway

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 am

I think PSMs first step needs to be to grow service with its current provider. Two flights per week is not going to lure any of the majors, even with the improved terminal. PSM was realistic by building 2 jet bridged gates. They didn’t build 10, or even 5, in an all out effort to win the lottery. Hopefully, G4 can find some successful adds and maybe F9 or NK might come around for a visit.

I don’t know what the new terminal will do to airport fees, but the reason PSM has any service is its low costs. MHT let its fees get non competitive and is part of the reason it lost so much service. MHT fees are now coming down. Are the PSM fees going up? Hopefully, not much, if at all.

A big plus for PSM is customs. I didn’t realize they had it, but I guess it makes sense for the military charters. When the pandemic is over and airlines are looking to grow again, this could be a big plus for some limited ULCC international service.

pwm2txlhopper

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
I think PSMs first step needs to be to grow service with its current provider. Two flights per week is not going to lure any of the majors, even with the improved terminal. PSM was realistic by building 2 jet bridged gates. They didn’t build 10, or even 5, in an all out effort to win the lottery. Hopefully, G4 can find some successful adds and maybe F9 or NK might come around for a visit.

I don’t know what the new terminal will do to airport fees, but the reason PSM has any service is its low costs. MHT let its fees didn’t realize Allegiant was get non competitive and is part of the reason it lost so much service. MHT fees are now coming down. Are the PSM fees going up? Hopefully, not much, if at all.

A big plus for PSM is customs. I didn’t realize they had it, but I guess it makes sense for the military charters. When the pandemic is over and airlines are looking to grow again, this could be a big plus for some limited ULCC international service.

Didn’t know they were down to two flights per week. Is it only service to SFB and PGD? No PIE this winter?

It would be nice to see more routes or another airline, but I won’t expect much other than ULCC’s. Only service there’s ever been on non-ULCCs was short lived BEX/DL Connection during the 90s. I am surprised more air freight operators hasn’t been attracted to the facility in the 30 years since Pease AFB closed.

deltairlines

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:14 am

I will say that the new terminal does look like a big step forward.

Now, I'll re-iterate some of the points I've made on the New England thread:

PSM is smack in the middle of BOS and PWM - go 45 minutes north, and you hit PWM (it helps that PWM is on the south side of the city). Go an hour south, you're at BOS. That alone would hurt any airport, especially with both airports having Southwest, American, Delta and United. Oh, and you can say JetBlue has year-round access to PWM now with the deal with American, which has LGA-PWM service (it remains to be seen if this route will stay on AA or migrate over to B6, but that's another point); B6 also codeshares on 9K to BOS when/if that resumes. Frontier is also at both airports; Spirit is at BOS.

Add in the population base - Rockingham and Stratford Counties are a combined 430k people - and a lot of that population is on the I-93 corridor in Salem/Windham/etc., which has much easier to both BOS and MHT (again, AA, UA and WN are all at MHT). On the Massachusetts side of the border, it's not a whole lot of population on the I-95 stretch until you hit Danvers, which at that point BOS is 25 minutes away.

As for ULCCs, if they return (which I don't see happening in the next couple of years), PSM would be an option. However, I think PVD might be a much more appealing option - they've expanded their runway to 8700 feet now, which is more than enough for pretty much any aircraft to reach Europe. PVD also has a significantly larger population base to reach from as well. When Norwegian entered the Boston market, PVD was the airport they went to; I'd expect them to be at the top of the list in the future.

With troops, it's a niche market. Trump had tried to bring most of the troops home at the end of his administration; Biden doesn't seem as warm to that idea, but we'll see. Trump did manage to pull back significantly in that area though, so the sheer number of troops going back and forth still might be down. PSM also competes with BGR for this traffic as well. The fact that PSM now does have a separate FIS does help them a bit in this, as BGR already has the separate FIS facility.

Long story short, I think the best hope for PSM is to get more Allegiant flights. I think there's potential for more flights than the current offerings than the current PGD/SFB offerings. A tough thing with their route options out of PSM is that again, going an hour down the road to BOS, you have JetBlue with plenty of flights to MCO and RSW, which are (in general) far my convenient options.

MIflyer12

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 pm

deltairlines wrote:

PSM is smack in the middle of BOS and PWM - go 45 minutes north, and you hit PWM (it helps that PWM is on the south side of the city). Go an hour south, you're at BOS. That alone would hurt any airport, especially with both airports having Southwest, American, Delta and United. Oh, and you can say JetBlue has year-round access to PWM now with the deal with American, which has LGA-PWM service (it remains to be seen if this route will stay on AA or migrate over to B6, but that's another point); B6 also codeshares on 9K to BOS when/if that resumes. Frontier is also at both airports; Spirit is at BOS.

Add in the population base - Rockingham and Stratford Counties are a combined 430k people - and a lot of that population is on the I-93 corridor in Salem/Windham/etc., which has much easier to both BOS and MHT (again, AA, UA and WN are all at MHT). On the Massachusetts side of the border, it's not a whole lot of population on the I-95 stretch until you hit Danvers, which at that point BOS is 25 minutes away.

That is well argued. PWM is competitive (growing while MHT shrank over the last ~15 years) but it isn't PSM's impediment the way BOS is, with n/s service to so many destinations.

It's nice to start with a free (long) runway and highway access but if they were interested in maximizing the value of a public asset (the land and location) they should have plowed it under and built houses and condos thirty years ago. (See El Toro.)

deltairlines

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

That is well argued. PWM is competitive (growing while MHT shrank over the last ~15 years) but it isn't PSM's impediment the way BOS is, with n/s service to so many destinations.

It's nice to start with a free (long) runway and highway access but if they were interested in maximizing the value of a public asset (the land and location) they should have plowed it under and built houses and condos thirty years ago. (See El Toro.)

Agree that BOS is more of the major impediment for PSM than PWM is. However, go back a decade, and PWM had some of the highest airfares in the nation; quite a few people from up that way would hop in their cars and drive the 1h45 to BOS or the 90 minutes to MHT. Now with a good bit of LCC service themselves, the drive-divert market has been greatly reduced, at least domestically (you might consider driving to BOS to catch a nonstop to the West Coast, and I still think a lot of European bound passengers would drive to BOS for a nonstop rather than backhauling to JFK/PHL).

airbazar

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 pm

deltairlines wrote:

I live in one of those Massachusetts towns, albeit on I-495 and MHT is hardly ever a competitive option so I can't imagine what PSM could do for me and many like me.
I don't fly ULCC, I rarely ever fly anyone that doesn't give me free checked bags which I have thanks to my branded credit card. For me to use an airline out of PSE, the airfare + all added fees + parking would have to be cheaper than what I can get from BOS on a non-stop flight and I just don't see that happen. PSM should work as a very niche, seasonal airport. UNH is right next door, plus the snowbirds in area and their extended families should be enough to sustain some service. Apart from that it's a tough sell.

airlinepeanuts

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm

I would look to STS for inspiration. It’s in the shadows of SFO and OAK and managed to grow to a decent operation. Their situation is different however as wine country is a destination itself but their growth story is impressive.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos