Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Arkansas Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Didn't see a dedicated thread started yet for this year. Wouldn't want to miss any of the 10-20 annual comments that trickle in about either LIT or XNA ;) .

We'll see how fast the two airports can begin their climb out of the 2020 hole.

Random thoughts so far:
For DL specifically in March, it looks like they're adding back a 5th daily XNA-ATL starting in March. It's been generally 4 for a few months now. MSP and (obviously) LGA are still off the table. LIT seems to be maintaining their 6 ATL flights but 2 flights will be mainline instead of just 1, so a small bump in seats as well. I don't see a ton of changes for the rest of the year for DL other than potentially XNA getting either its 6th ATL flight back or maybe 1 MSP rotation resumed. And then another 717 or two replacing CR9s for LIT.

I read in another thread that AA's March schedule was done but I can't imagine XNA will hold. February is currently 7 XNA-DFW on E175's and March is showing 9 flights with 3 being on 319s. LIT shows the same step up in flights but maintains on all regional jets. For the rest of the year I could see AA trying to bring LAX and/or MIA back this summer to XNA.

UA seems to be holding off on March so far? I don't see XNA-SFO returning and being realistically stable for the rest of the year, same with EWR. (I always thought SFO was a stretch. The WM link between the two areas is getting smaller and smaller as time goes on.)

WN recently added ATL and DEN for LIT, which is a nice change. LIT generally slips by under the radar in most WN schedule changes. I would assume no big changes in the state left for 2021. (Sorry XNA, still don't see WN coming soon. If I'm proven wrong then I'm more than fine with that.)

F9 is still at XNA with its token lean DEN schedule and that's it. LIT has LAS starting in March in addition to their DEN service. Wonder if MCO could be in the cards?

I have a hard time keeping up with what G4 does at XNA...nothing would surprise me at this point.

dfwjim1

Re: Arkansas Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Don't hear much about Texarkana Regional; I wonder if there is any room for growth at airport?

jplatts

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 am

jb1087xna wrote:
WN recently added ATL and DEN for LIT, which is a nice change. LIT generally slips by under the radar in most WN schedule changes. I would assume no big changes in the state left for 2021. (Sorry XNA, still don't see WN coming soon. If I'm proven wrong then I'm more than fine with that.)

WN re-adding LIT-BWI/MDW nonstop service are possibilities with
(a) WN having operated LIT-BWI/MDW/STL nonstop service prior to dropping LIT-STL nonstop service in June 2013 (but WN re-added LIT-STL and dropped LIT-BWI/MDW in 2016),
(b) WN being able to offer connections through MDW and BWI to some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from STL or ATL,
(c) WN having a FF base in the CHI, WAS, and LIT markets to support the return of LIT-BWI/MDW nonstop service, and
(d) WN recently making some other adds out of MDW and BWI, including MDW-COS/IAH/LGB/MIA/SNA/SRQ/SAV/IAD and BWI-ORD/JAN/MIA/SRQ/SAV.

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:21 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Don't hear much about Texarkana Regional; I wonder if there is any room for growth at airport?

I forget about TXK. :oops:
Also I should've said 2 biggest airports up top. FSM is around too but now only has AA left as well since DL pulled out last year. Regarding FSM specifically, DL tried CR7s a few times over the years but they never lasted. Not sure if that bodes too well for FSM getting DL back.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 am

Before Covid , XNA had made it into the Top 100 and was bearing down on LIT, I suspect this will resume as things normalize. If WN did start service here. It would quickly overtake LIT as bleed to Tulsa would stop cold. XNA will need more gates for that to happen as the number of planes overnight for was making for a crowded place pre covid and WN would want to fly in late and leave at 6am like it does lots of places.

Lots of disposable income up here these days.

Frontier should jump on MCO vs Allegiant's Sanford service.

Allegiant should jump on TYS.

After years of being just outside the group, Northwest Arkansas National Airport can now stake its claim as one of the nation’s Top 100 airports.

Data from the Federal Aviation Administration published this month shows XNA in 2019 ranked No. 99 with 891,237 paying passengers. There were another 31,000 who didn’t pay to fly. Its number of passengers grew by 17.4%, the FAA reported.

XNA was No. 106 in last year’s ranking. In 2010, it ranked No. 112.

Just one airport larger than XNA — Sarasota Bradenton International Airport — saw passengers increase at a faster rate than XNA last year. The Florida airport’s 42% growth was fueled by new service announcements by multiple airlines.

Nothing changed at the top of the annual FAA rankings with the Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago O’Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth and Denver holding the Top 5 spots.

XNA, which saw new service announcements by Allegiant, American and Frontier in 2019 lead to its growth in passengers, had nonstop flights to most Top 10 airports. The exceptions were No. 6 New York JFK, No. 8 Seattle-Tacoma and No. 10 Orlando International.

In Orlando and New York, XNA had nonstop service to other airports in those markets. Seattle remains the biggest U.S. market that’s never had nonstop service from XNA.

Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport in Little Rock ranked No. 95 with about 195,000 more travelers last year than XNA.

Fort Smith Regional Airport sat at No. 248, the FAA reported. It had about 92,000 travelers in 2019.

https://fareflightnwa.org/xna-rises-to- ... irst-time/

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:49 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Before Covid , XNA had made it into the Top 100 and was bearing down on LIT, I suspect this will resume as things normalize. If WN did start service here. It would quickly overtake LIT as bleed to Tulsa would stop cold. XNA will need more gates for that to happen as the number of planes overnight for was making for a crowded place pre covid and WN would want to fly in late and leave at 6am like it does lots of places.

Lots of disposable income up here these days.

Frontier should jump on MCO vs Allegiant's Sanford service.

Allegiant should jump on TYS.

If and when the time comes WN could take A1 and A2. DL is also extremely spread out...even at their highest schedule pre-COVID they had 9 flights a day, only 1 RON plane, yet have 3 branded gates. Then B1 and B2 are both common-use I believe and are only ever utilized for F9 and G4's sporadic flights.
Embarrassingly enough I've never flown F9 or G4, but assume that F9 could run off G4 from LAS and Orlando with competitive enough fares. I wouldn't think there is profitably room for both.

aaway

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:44 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

I've wondered about that too, especially since AA appears to be targeting from CLT some of the smaller traditionally DFW-only cities.

On another front, during one of the last city council meetings of 2020, the new TXK airport manager presented a draft proposal to extend runway 4-22 by 1000' in a bid to attract air cargo. Considering how isolated the general TXK region is from the larger metros, I could fathom some potential for air cargo service.

Both FedEX and UPS maintain facilities in the city. In particular, the FedEx operation (FedEx Freight) has a newish (two years old), 130000 sq ft warehouse on 60 acres southwest of the airport. The UPS operation is much smaller.

There is civic support from a couple of relatively new organizations: Red River Air Cargo Association (currently operating as a non-profit), while the more formal AR-TX Regional Economic Development, Inc. are the primary backers of the effort thus far.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

WaywardMemphian

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm

About XNA and it's market going forward.

The MSA currently is somewhere between 500K and 550K. It depends on if you include MacDonald Co Mo. All projections I've seen has the area between 800k to 1 million between 2040 and 2045. You can tinker with other factors like the border counties in OK and MO, the Harrison MSA and the ability to pull from the Fort Smith to Russellville River Valley corridor. In normal times, XNA was up to over 850K enplanements, there is potential for that to nearly double in 20 years time. That puts XNA in the top 75 range. The median income up here is quite good while maintain a better cost of living/purchasing power base than other areas

https://www.nwacouncil.org/news/2019/11 ... data-shows.

The Northwest Arkansas PCPI exceeds that of every peer region that’s used as a benchmark by the Northwest Arkansas Council and other Northwest Arkansas groups. It’s higher than Madison, Wisc. ($59,371), Austin ($58,773), Raleigh ($55,045); Des Moines ($54,098), Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C. ($54,036) and Provo-Orem, Utah ($40,831).

I'm trying figure out why WN continues to wait. Outside of that silly NWA belongs to Tulsa thinking it is hard to understand. That is a nearly two hr drive with tolls. PConsidering the ties to Texas around here, a daily 737Max7 to DAL is certainly doable now as well as MDW/STL, ATL and DEN. XNA has surpassed WN stations like ICT in traffic. The airport one spot ahead of XNA, Fresno, just got service and it's growth projection is nothing like XNA's.

jplatts

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:12 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I'm trying figure out why WN continues to wait. Outside of that silly NWA belongs to Tulsa thinking it is hard to understand. That is a nearly two hr drive with tolls. PConsidering the ties to Texas around here, a daily 737Max7 to DAL is certainly doable now as well as MDW/STL, ATL and DEN. XNA has surpassed WN stations like ICT in traffic. The airport one spot ahead of XNA, Fresno, just got service and it's growth projection is nothing like XNA's.

XNA is one of the top remaining markets in the U.S. without WN, and the only top remaining U.S. markets without WN service that carried more domestic passengers than XNA in 2019 are ANC, MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, and GSO.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

XNA is one of the top remaining markets in the U.S. without WN, and the only top remaining U.S. markets without WN service that carried more domestic passengers than XNA in 2019 are ANC, MYR, SYR, TYS, MSN, and GSO.

Outside of of ANC you just named markets from 86th( MYR) to 99th(XNA) with a differential of just under 400k from highest to lowest.

TYS and XNA should be added for sure. Madison is 45 mintues closer to MKE than NWA is Tulsa but very similar to NWA in prosperity, growth and future.

ANC from California, DEN and MDW seem a no brainer to me on Max aircraft.

SYR and GSO are no comments. Economic potential and market growth and New York State aren't synonymous these days.

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:14 pm

IMO, AA stands the most to lose if WN came in. If I compare DL and UA's schedules to LIT, they are fairly on par with each other in terms of frequency and capacity blended together. (Main difference being that DL is nearly 100% mainline in LIT outside of covid times yet XNA gets MSP and LGA service). AA is the one that has, again IMO, an extremely heavy schedule at XNA. I realize some of that comes from the Envoy maintenance that is done here, but one would think planes could be rotated in and out on a smaller scale and still get the appropriate work done.
F9 is barely a thing at XNA even now with their sparse schedule to DEN and G4 would still hit places that would require a connection on WN.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:05 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
IMO, AA stands the most to lose if WN came in. If I compare DL and UA's schedules to LIT, they are fairly on par with each other in terms of frequency and capacity blended together. (Main difference being that DL is nearly 100% mainline in LIT outside of covid times yet XNA gets MSP and LGA service). AA is the one that has, again IMO, an extremely heavy schedule at XNA. I realize some of that comes from the Envoy maintenance that is done here, but one would think planes could be rotated in and out on a smaller scale and still get the appropriate work done.
F9 is barely a thing at XNA even now with their sparse schedule to DEN and G4 would still hit places that would require a connection on WN.

F9 is considered a Den only thing, no one wants to connect with F9, they often involve overnighting in Den. It would be doing better if Denver and Colorado wasn't shutdown like it has been. Nothing going forward can be based on 2020, you know that.

My niece flew into Tulsa from DEN on WN last week to visit her father that had a mild stroke. The Frontier flight at XNA happened to be well timed for her return to Den. That is how it works around here. This isn't the first time folk I know fly into one and out another.

Southwest would destroy Allegiant on any point to point competition.

But, yeah, AA and it's DFW routes would be pressured the most. The fare reductions across the board would fuel additional enplanments and capture most of that up to 20% leakage to Tulsa. I'd guess if WN entered next year after a post covid normalization being well underway, XNA would overtake LIT by 2024. My teacher wife got her first dose on Thursday. I'mndue for the second week of Feb. We have lots of travel planned from June to the first of the year.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm

XNA expansion timelines

Design work for Skyway connecting parking Deck to terminal done in Jan. Construction to start in late Spring /Early Summer 2021.

New Parking Deck/Car Rental Facility on hold at request of rental companies till demand comes back. The design work appears done.

Formal design work for new western concourse is expected to be complete by early 2022. Details are:

A) New B will consist of 12 gates

B) Expansion of A will bring it to 14 gates

C) 26 total gates that will service 1.7 to 3.3 enplanements depending on configuration

Scope of a major reno of second floor of the terminal is determinate on concourse project.

Select Architect for new Baggage claim area. 20 million budget.

Design work for commercial apron expansion to be complete by 2023

Design work for a new Air Traffic Control Tower to start in 2021 and to be completed by 2023.

All this can be found here:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... figuration.

Anyhoo, if air traffic rebounds over the next two years it looks like 2025 will be the the approximate end date of this growth stage and looking likebit will be over 300 million worth when it's all said and done.That's is my guess. It this time, the access road to the US 412 bypass should be built .

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Quite sad that Fort Smith (FSM) hasn't come up yet in any discussion...

When large amounts of family lived in Charleston, AR, we visited frequently in the 1970's, driving Interstate 40 from California, on a journey in a VW camper bus that took three days. Road signs indicating the distance to Fort Smith were ALWAYS a welcome sight, and only 20 minutes east of the city came Charleston.

When AA began BFL-DFW, more than a few times we were able to fly BFL-DFW-FSM in five hours - a nearly instantaneous change for us from three long days. Now that family lives all over the state, XNA and LIT have become just as convenient, and are served by more than just one AAirline, if you know what I mean...

It is heartbreaking to me to hear how the world seems to be abandoning the Fort Smith area and running to XNA. I understand the economics of it all; however, how a major city on an east-west transcontinental highway is allowed to wallow in nearly nothing while 50 miles away a tremendously inconvenient airport to reach from within most of the metro area flourishes. It's a shame that there's no "spillover" to the south; however, it's +/- 2 hours to TUL and LIT, +/- 3 hours to OKC, and more than once family has driven all the way to DFW to save some $$$.

But at least it has commercial service! El Dorado and Magnolia lost all service decades ago (Trans-Texas Airways?) as did many other smaller airports.

I think FSM will continue to keep AE to DFW, but Delta to ATL? Time will tell.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:02 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

When large amounts of family lived in Charleston, AR, we visited frequently in the 1970's, driving Interstate 40 from California, on a journey in a VW camper bus that took three days. Road signs indicating the distance to Fort Smith were ALWAYS a welcome sight, and only 20 minutes east of the city came Charleston.

When AA began BFL-DFW, more than a few times we were able to fly BFL-DFW-FSM in five hours - a nearly instantaneous change for us from three long days. Now that family lives all over the state, XNA and LIT have become just as convenient, and are served by more than just one AAirline, if you know what I mean...

It is heartbreaking to me to hear how the world seems to be abandoning the Fort Smith area and running to XNA. I understand the economics of it all; however, how a major city on an east-west transcontinental highway is allowed to wallow in nearly nothing while 50 miles away a tremendously inconvenient airport to reach from within most of the metro area flourishes. It's a shame that there's no "spillover" to the south; however, it's +/- 2 hours to TUL and LIT, +/- 3 hours to OKC, and more than once family has driven all the way to DFW to save some $$$.

But at least it has commercial service! El Dorado and Magnolia lost all service decades ago (Trans-Texas Airways?) as did many other smaller airports.

It still has fantastic bathrooms.

Ft Smith would make an outstanding location for an automobile plant but that's up to Little Rock and it's goodies to give out. Nothing came from local ASA! In his nearly two full terms in Little Rock. Meanwhile, NEA has two incredible modern day steel mills(Nucor and Big River) thriving thanks to Little Rock's piggy bank.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:54 pm

XNA is starting to host food trucks starting tommorrow

https://www.facebook.com/11429787878041 ... 105331677/

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Anyhoo, if air traffic rebounds over the next two years it looks like 2025 will be the the approximate end date of this growth stage and looking likebit will be over 300 million worth when it's all said and done.That's is my guess. It this time, the access road to the US 412 bypass should be built .

I saw that article a few months back and I'm still shocked at how aggressive the plans are....mainly around doubling the number of gates (well with jet bridges) from 13 to 26. LIT "only" has 12, though TUL has 22 (from what I can tell). It's like XNA Is planning to more than double the number of flights with little to no up-gauging from the legacy carriers. Even pre-covid, ~90% of their flights were on regional jets. Additionally 2 of the current 13 gates are completely unoccupied today and were pre-covid as well. One of the 13 is essentially just for Frontier and their ~2 flights per week...hardly qualifying as occupied.
Gates aside, baggage claim needs a drastic improvement. Wait times are awful and only two carousels makes things messy during "rush hours". A bridge connecting the parking deck to the terminal is a welcome add as well.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 am

jb1087xna wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

I saw that article a few months back and I'm still shocked at how aggressive the plans are....mainly around doubling the number of gates (well with jet bridges) from 13 to 26. LIT "only" has 12, though TUL has 22 (from what I can tell). It's like XNA Is planning to more than double the number of flights with little to no up-gauging from the legacy carriers. Even pre-covid, ~90% of their flights were on regional jets. Additionally 2 of the current 13 gates are completely unoccupied today and were pre-covid as well. One of the 13 is essentially just for Frontier and their ~2 flights per week...hardly qualifying as occupied.
Gates aside, baggage claim needs a drastic improvement. Wait times are awful and only two carousels makes things messy during "rush hours". A bridge connecting the parking deck to the terminal is a welcome add as well.

You should know they want an 80 room hotel on site as well, lol.

By 2019 numbers, XNA was within 200k enplanements of LIT.

95th LIT at 1,086,740
99th XNA at 891,237

It is hitting above it's weight so to speak. The estimates for growth up here has it basically doubling the next 20 years making the MSA 1 million without taking into account Ft Smith and Harrison regions. If they assume that double the pop means double the air passengers, that would be ballparking 2 million enplanements. I figure the next step for I-49 is the new Bridge at Alma and it becoming online in around that 2025/2026 time frame. I think they are waiting to wrap up the last segment of I-49 from Bella Vista to the Mo. Line. We'll see if they follow through on 26 gates though.

I remember the early plans for XNA that included a relocated tower and an addition of a crosswind runway.

sprxUSA

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:38 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

El Dorado has service today. A couple of Caravans to DFW. Not much, but commercial none the less LOL.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

OzarkD9S

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:27 am

OK, so I'm flying to LIT from STL in early March on WN. The itinerary I originally booked mid-January was STL-LIT nonstop at a reasonable 10:something a.m. With a return LIT-3 hour layover-HOU-ATL-STL. Then WN changed the return to, no kidding, LIT-LAS-STL (forget the layover time). Now they've changed it again to a 6 a.m. STL-DAL-3.5 hour layover-LIT with a return 2 p.m. LIT-ATL-4 hour layover-STL. Not sure if this is LIT specific regarding schedule changes, but as my little 3 day trip approaches I'm breathlessly anticipating my next rerouting. Still looking forward to visiting LIT...
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

WaywardMemphian

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:19 pm

American plans to start LIT/MIA

More on the XNA access road. Seems to line up with Concourse expansion.

The total project is expected to cost $85.6 million, which includes $5.8 million for right-of-way acquisition, English said. The Arkansas Highway Commission recently released the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program for 2021-2024, and it shows project development would be funded in federal fiscal year 2023, which starts Oct. 1, 2022. Project development for the 3.6-mile project would cost a total of $11 million, according to the program.

The overall project is expected to be paid for with receipts from the half-cent sales tax that voters permanently extended in November. Also, XNA has about $14 million in federal money reserved for the project, English said.

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/02/garver ... -feedback/

jb1087xna
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:31 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
American plans to start LIT/MIA

Interesting schedule...Saturdays only. Different for a legacy carrier in LIT (or any other airport in the state for that matter).

luv2cattlecall

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 am

Allegiant is adding a twice weekly LIT-PIE - wonder if that changes the business case for AAs LIT-MIA?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos