Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

joeblow10
Topic Author

SY Apparent New Route Announcement Jan 25

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:15 am

Well, I stand corrected, looks like SY is announcing new routes tomorrow, unless these have slid under the radar for some time without anybody noticing them

Seeing FCA, FAI, JAC, and others listed for sale on their website, I would assume SAT/IND are involved in this as well given their posts (edit: seeing SAT-CUN, nothing with Indy yet)
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

Ishrion

Re: SY Apparent New Route Announcement 2/25

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 am

SAT-CUN begins May 28

AA737-823

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:25 am

FAI? So, should I assume that they're coming back to ANC this year? I know flights are for sale, but in a post-2020 world, I'm not taking anything for granted!

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 am

CVG, IND, BDL, IAH, & RDU
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Ishrion

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:47 am

AA737-823 wrote:
FAI? So, should I assume that they're coming back to ANC this year? I know flights are for sale, but in a post-2020 world, I'm not taking anything for granted!

MSP-ANC is scheduled to operate nearly every day for the summer. In July, it operates every day with some days having up to 3 daily frequencies.

Ishrion

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 am

Here's what seems to be new so far:

- MSP-FAI from May 29
- MSP-FCA/JAC from May 26
- DFW-SNA from May 6
- IND-MSP/MCO from September 2
- MSP-CVG from May 14
- IAH-CUN from May 27 and IAH-MSP from May 13
- MSP-RDU rom May 14

joeblow10
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:03 am

Looks like they’re planning on expanding out of MCO a bit. BDL-MCO shows up starting next fall as well

MSP-YVR is in there too but did they fly that one last year? Doubt it’ll be flown given entry restrictions

IAH-LAS begins 9/2

(Will keep editing as I find more)
Last edited by joeblow10 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 am

DFW-SNA? Wow!

Too bad they got rid of their PDX crew base. Would love to see PDX-BNA again.
AS PDX-LAX: 737 MAX 9
QX LAX-PDX: E175

Ishrion

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 am

AC4500 wrote:
DFW-SNA? Wow!

Just realized SNA is a new destination with their new slots. MSP-SNA in addition to DFW begins April 30

pranav7478

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 am

AC4500 wrote:
DFW-SNA? Wow!

is there really that much demand for dfw-sna? american does 9 daily and southwest does 1 daily to dal.
Planes I have flown on: CRJ-900, E175, E190, A319, A320, A321, A330-200, 717, 737-700, 737-800, 747-400, 747-8I, 757-200, 767-300, 777-200, 777-300(ER), 787-8, 787-9
Airlines I have flown on: AI, AS, BA, DL, 6E, 9W, B6, KE, SQ, WN, UA, US, VA

druzb

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:47 am

joeblow10 wrote:
MSP-YVR is in there too but did they fly that one last year? Doubt it’ll be flown given entry restrictions

It was slated to start May 2020, I think they never did because COVID.

Curious to see if they make it work. Even before COVID the only ULCC flying transborder is F9 DEN-YYC (plus some WO and F8 to AZA and Florida). Taxes are so high it makes the difference to legacy airlines sticker price much less than on domestic routes.

Now with that people are not supposed to be traveling, G4 is interestingly still flying the "American Canadian" airports (BLI / IAG / OGS / PBG) but NK suspended service pretty soon after international travel was restricted.
Last edited by druzb on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:50 am

Good for them trying all of these new routes. I am a little skeptical about a few though.

From my own perspective EWR/PHL-MCO/LAS/DFW would have been nice!
Last edited by Nicknuzzii on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BAINY3

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:52 am

Can Mods fix the title to say 1/25? I'm sure these route announcements aren't a month away in February.

Ishrion

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 am

Route map updated. SMF-MSP got axed. DFW-PVR returns.

FlyHappy

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:55 am

Ishrion wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DFW-SNA? Wow!

Just realized SNA is a new destination with their new slots. MSP-SNA in addition to DFW begins April 30

I've wondered for a decade why they didn't try harder for slots at SNA (maybe totally beyond their control) - I think that will be pure gold.

trexel94

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 am

With the addition of CVG and IND, I believe MCI is the last remaining large Midwest city without SY service unless you count DTW. Is it just a matter of time now?

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:20 pm

trexel94 wrote:
With the addition of CVG and IND, I believe MCI is the last remaining large Midwest city without SY service unless you count DTW. Is it just a matter of time now?

They still have CMH, MKE, & CLE(although they already announced it, but dropped it again) left
ORD & IND

AA & DL

MIflyer12

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

pranav7478 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DFW-SNA? Wow!

is there really that much demand for dfw-sna? american does 9 daily and southwest does 1 daily to dal.

It's a fairly common LCC strategy, actually: go into a big, proven market that's dominated by a legacy and offer significantly lower prices. If SY can outlast AA's price response it will find its crowd - it has the cost structure to make it work.

usflyer msp

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:51 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
DFW-SNA? Wow!

It's a fairly common LCC strategy, actually: go into a big, proven market that's dominated by a legacy and offer significantly lower prices. If SY can outlast AA's price response it will find its crowd - it has the cost structure to make it work.

SNA is also a good spot because other carriers have a limited ability to respond thanks to the slot situation.

klm617

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:07 pm

trexel94 wrote:

Why wouldn't you count Detroit ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

flymco753

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm

klm617 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

SY isn't going to fly to Detroit, Delta and Spirit would choke them. That's why F9 and WN struggle to add anything meaningful. DTW has serious brand recognition issues which is good for Delta and Spirit,.bad for everyone else.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

RL757PVD

Re: SY Apparent New Route Announcement Jan 25

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:35 pm

Is BDL-MCO really a 5 carrier market? (B6, WN, F9, NK and now SY), I'm guessing they might have tried BDL-BNA instead if WN didn't start it
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jmscsc

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

The SY website shows that BDL is actually to MCO and MSP.

klm617

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm

flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

SY isn't going to fly to Detroit, Delta and Spirit would choke them. That's why F9 and WN struggle to add anything meaningful. DTW has serious brand recognition issues which is good for Delta and Spirit,.bad for everyone else.

Very true but it doesn't mean it should be omitted when discussing the largest unserved markets in the midwest.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

flymco753

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm

klm617 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Very true but it doesn't mean it should be omitted when discussing the largest unserved markets in the midwest.
I can agree about some markets that could use some extra flights but elsewhere it's saturated. DTW can go without SY if they add something like these adds, it wouldn't be meaningful.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

SyracuseAvGeek

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm

druzb wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

It was slated to start May 2020, I think they never did because COVID.

Curious to see if they make it work. Even before COVID the only ULCC flying transborder is F9 DEN-YYC (plus some WO and F8 to AZA and Florida). Taxes are so high it makes the difference to legacy airlines sticker price much less than on domestic routes.

Now with that people are not supposed to be traveling, G4 is interestingly still flying the "American Canadian" airports (BLI / IAG / OGS / PBG) but NK suspended service pretty soon after international travel was restricted.

You are correct in that IAG is still flying, BLI is a hub of their so that is going as well. PBG is operating hardly at all, but still at least once a week.

Ogdensburg however was discontinued early on in the pandemic and has yet to restart. OGS Is such a small city they depended on that Canadian traffic, where IAG has the Buffalo area and PBG has Burlington. Ogdensburg, the closest non-Canadian city that is “large” is Syracuse, and they have Allegiant themselves.

Allegiant has even gone as far as saying they have discontinued OGS “indefinitely”. I found someone who did a trip report at Ogdensburg on United, they actually connected there going from IAD to ORD...

https://youtu.be/M7vrOJmRQvA

Very interesting that he/she chose to connect in that city.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

SCHATC422

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Is BDL-MCO really a 5 carrier market? (B6, WN, F9, NK and now SY), I'm guessing they might have tried BDL-BNA instead if WN didn't start it

Appears it is now, should be very competitive fares though which is great for BDL. Great time to start MCO, IMO, starting the fall/winter winter bird leisure and travel should be a lot higher in September than now, hoping.

Great add for BDL, especially with the MSP add.

SUNCTRY738

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:47 pm

Anyone know what their fleet will look like with these adds? I assuming they are adding aircraft?

AC4500

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I honestly don't see how SY adding anything outside of MSP is a good idea for them at this point....

SY has proven, time and time again that they cannot make a profit outside of MSP. LAS may be the only exception. It's a shame, though, because they've tried so many times and have always come up short it seems. Since expanding outside of MSP has mostly failed, they've now started contract-flying for Amazon. COVID has hit SY harder than other airlines because SY had an abysmal U.S. market share to begin with. BNA, PDX, PVD, STL "focus cities" (if you want to call them that, lol) have all but failed. It's certainly a slap in the face to PVD that SY is adding BDL flights. We'll see if this new batch of routes works out for them this time, but given how poorly timed these Mexico route adds were, I certainly have my doubts.
AS PDX-LAX: 737 MAX 9
QX LAX-PDX: E175

joeblow10
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:25 pm

AC4500 wrote:
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I honestly don't see how SY adding anything outside of MSP is a good idea for them at this point....

SY has proven, time and time again that they cannot make a profit outside of MSP. LAS may be the only exception. It's a shame, though, because they've tried so many times and have always come up short it seems. Since expanding outside of MSP has mostly failed, they've now started contract-flying for Amazon. COVID has hit SY harder than other airlines because SY had an abysmal U.S. market share to begin with. BNA, PDX, PVD, STL "focus cities" (if you want to call them that, lol) have all but failed. It's certainly a slap in the face to PVD that SY is adding BDL flights. We'll see if this new batch of routes works out for them this time, but given how poorly timed these Mexico route adds were, I certainly have my doubts.

Most of these adds are around MSP though. Other than Texas-CUN, which seems to have worked for them (at least, pre Covid)

My hunch is BDL was added as a way to get crews to/from Amazon flying, same with CVG. The rest of it is largely vacation centric and should work for them. Places like FAI and JAC are long overdue

RL757PVD

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:43 pm

AC4500 wrote:

I dont see BDL as a slap in the face for PVD... they are entirely different markets with very little overlap. The two airports really only complete over the area of New London CT. BDL-MSP is 2x weekly, which should be low enough to not register a DL response that would drive them off, whereas PVD-MSP ix 4x weekly
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

sunking737

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Amazon is fueling SCX growth..No plan to add jets just yet...However they are always looking and always have been.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

jplatts

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:55 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
My hunch is BDL was added as a way to get crews to/from Amazon flying, same with CVG.

I had mentioned that F9 was able to make less-than-daily CVG-MSP nonstop service work prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and SY might be able to make CVG-MSP nonstop service work with F9 off of the CVG-MSP route. There are also fewer connecting options between CVG and MSP than was the case prior to the COVID-19 pandemic with the cuts that AA, UA, and WN have made on CVG-CHI and MSP-CHI nonstop service during the COVID-19 pandemic.

SteveXC500

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Most of these adds are around MSP though. Other than Texas-CUN, which seems to have worked for them (at least, pre Covid)

My hunch is BDL was added as a way to get crews to/from Amazon flying, same with CVG. The rest of it is largely vacation centric and should work for them. Places like FAI and JAC are long overdue

Your hunch may be one aspect of why they added BDL, IAH, IND...the other being the additional flights OUT OF those cities to leisure destinations such as MCO, LAS. They need to move the planes to/from MSP anyway, so why not gain some revenue.

UWPAviation

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Im surprised SY doesn't try to make a move at MKE. It fit's there midwest market. And with the huge hole of west-coast service as well as weekend charters to the Caribbean it makes sense.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm

AC4500 wrote:
COVID has hit SY harder than other airlines because SY had an abysmal U.S. market share to begin with.

What are you talking about? SY has been the least impacted by COVID out of any US airline
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Tack

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:29 am

usflyer msp wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:

SNA is also a good spot because other carriers have a limited ability to respond thanks to the slot situation.

AA has the SNA-DFW market covered. I fly AA through DFW from SNA 3 times a month. Even with COVID they offer multiple departures at the lowest fares I’ve seen in years. AA will really only have to match the lowest SY fare on one of their departures, presumably the one closest to the SY departure time. It’s a tactic we used at AS against ULCC’s and it worked very well. If AA price matches on all of their departures, SY, low costs and all, won’t make it. I think SNA could be a good market for them to MSP, but DFW? If the over/under was 6 months before ceasing service? I’d bet the under.

AmericanAir88

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 am

SY should consider transcontinental LAS flights. EWR/JFK/-LAS would do very well. EWR would be harder due to competition from F9, B6, UA, and NK, but SY can always price match the ULCCs. SY can appeal to price sensitive fliers for JFK. AA, DL, and B6 would be pricier.

How do airlines do on the NYC-LAS routes? Specifically ULCCs/LCCs.

BA744PHX

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 am

AmericanAir88 wrote:
SY should consider transcontinental LAS flights. EWR/JFK/-LAS would do very well. EWR would be harder due to competition from F9, B6, UA, and NK, but SY can always price match the ULCCs. SY can appeal to price sensitive fliers for JFK. AA, DL, and B6 would be pricier.

Cause thats exactly what NYC needs is another airline flying NYC-LAS.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:51 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

NYC-LAS would make way more sense than most of these other adds.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:17 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

One might think that UA/DL/AA/B6/F9 on NYC-LAS covers the market high and low. I don't see what SY brings to that market.

IMHO, SY, like Allegiant, needs to go where WN/NK/F9 are not.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Tack wrote:
AA has the SNA-DFW market covered. I fly AA through DFW from SNA 3 times a month. Even with COVID they offer multiple departures at the lowest fares I’ve seen in years. AA will really only have to match the lowest SY fare on one of their departures, presumably the one closest to the SY departure time. It’s a tactic we used at AS against ULCC’s and it worked very well. If AA price matches on all of their departures, SY, low costs and all, won’t make it. I think SNA could be a good market for them to MSP, but DFW? If the over/under was 6 months before ceasing service? I’d bet the under.

You're arguing that a fairly busy airport pair won't get ULCC pricing. Good luck with that. The last fifteen years have proven you wrong. SY may not be the carrier to succeed but Dallas-SNA will get a ULCC.

AmericanAir88

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:15 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

One might think that UA/DL/AA/B6/F9 on NYC-LAS covers the market high and low. I don't see what SY brings to that market.

IMHO, SY, like Allegiant, needs to go where WN/NK/F9 are not.

SY has expressed interest in returning to JFK. JFK currently does not have a low cost carrier flying to LAS direct. B6 has drifted far away from being low cost.

SY can fill in the gap that Virgin America/Alaska left. LAS is a destination that is prime for low cost fliers and an alternative to legacies at JFK would generate high LFs. Plus SY can tag onto T4, where international travel is highly down, making it a smooth airport experience.

AmericanAir88

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:19 pm

What is so wrong about more NYC-LAS? The routes do well on legacies and B6. JFK only has two airlines running that route currently until AA resumes service.

I have no data on how well ULCCs do on NYC-LAS. Anyone know?

flyfresno

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
COVID has hit SY harder than other airlines because SY had an abysmal U.S. market share to begin with.

What are you talking about? SY has been the least impacted by COVID out of any US airline

I'm not sure if they started the Amazon talks before or after COVID lockdowns began, but what a great decision that turned out to be...

tphuang

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:27 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:

What is so wrong about more NYC-LAS? The routes do well on legacies and B6. JFK only has two airlines running that route currently until AA resumes service.

I have no data on how well ULCCs do on NYC-LAS. Anyone know?

Not great. Airlines are not stupid. They go after markets that have potential to make money. The fact that sy has not tried this route should tell you how badly they would do here.

aaexpdfw

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Here is a list of all of the new routes that were officially loaded:

BDL-MSP
CVG-MSP
DFW-SNA
FAI-MSP
FCA-MSP
IAH-MSP
IND-MSP
JAC-MSP
MSP-RDU
MSP-SNA
PHX-PSP

FLYKTPA

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:29 pm

aaexpdfw wrote:

BDL-MSP
CVG-MSP
DFW-SNA
FAI-MSP
FCA-MSP
IAH-MSP
IND-MSP
JAC-MSP
MSP-RDU
MSP-SNA
PHX-PSP

They loaded more routes than that and PHX-PSP isn’t one of them.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

aaexpdfw

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
aaexpdfw wrote:

BDL-MSP
CVG-MSP
DFW-SNA
FAI-MSP
FCA-MSP
IAH-MSP
IND-MSP
JAC-MSP
MSP-RDU
MSP-SNA
PHX-PSP

They loaded more routes than that and PHX-PSP isn’t one of them.

They sent a 1-time flight #906 to operate on 2/3 in the SSIM. I wasn't looking at departure counts, just new markets. But yea, looks like a odd-ball positioning flight or something. They coded it as scheduled service, but maybe its a misfiled charter.

As for the SSIM they released yesterday, that is all they released. Anything else doesn't appear to be scheduled (yet).

DLASFlyer

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:38 pm

Can the 738 even operate at JAC with decent loads? Would be a rare bird there certainly. Might SY use their lone 73G?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos