Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Thatcher

Re: Australian Aviation Thread- February 2021

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 am

I noticed an SQ A380 flying ASP-SYD yesterday. Reported in the SIA thread as "to Sydney for a gear swing test, before eventually flying back to Singapore on Wednesday". A rotation with another A380 heading for ASP apparently.

SIN is (only) ~twice the distance from ASP as SYD is, so I assume they go to SYD first to use QF facilities simply for safety reasons (over land, diversion possibilities) ?

Hmmm, "a gear swing test". So they would have flown wheels-down and presumably at low altitude? They were already over Western Sydney when I noticed them on FR24.

EK413

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 am

Thatcher wrote:
I noticed an SQ A380 flying ASP-SYD yesterday. Reported in the SIA thread as "to Sydney for a gear swing test, before eventually flying back to Singapore on Wednesday". A rotation with another A380 heading for ASP apparently.

SIN is (only) ~twice the distance from ASP as SYD is, so I assume they go to SYD first to use QF facilities simply for safety reasons (over land, diversion possibilities) ?

Hmmm, "a gear swing test". So they would have flown wheels-down and presumably at low altitude? They were already over Western Sydney when I noticed them on FR24.

The aircraft ferried to SYD at 22,000ft with gear extended.

Qantas engineers will jack up the aircraft to perform a landing gear inspection prior to the aircraft continuing onto SIN where it will under go refurbishment.

After an extended stay in the desert, Singapore Airlines yesterday removed one of its Airbus A380s ahead of a planned refurbishment of the type. The airline plans to fit its entire remaining fleet of 12 aircraft with its latest A380 cabin product. The airline first revealed the plan in November.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/simplef ... rings/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 am

JQ launching 3 weekly SYD-HVB in late May

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... 27c4bed485
Forum Moderator

qf2048

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am

vhqpa wrote:
RE: Rex's announcement dropping five routes, should they loose the subsidy.

Most of those don't really need to be subsidised.

- Bathurst is only 45 minutes from Orange, if by their own account OAG is too small to support two Airlines, then all the better to consolidate BHS and OAG.

- Cooma is only 80 minutes from Canberra.
- Lismore is 30 minutes from Ballina.
- Grafton has Ballina 90 minutes to the north, and Coffs Harbour 60 minutes to the south.

- Given that QF also serve Kingscote, and it's quite a big tourism drawcard. It probably gets enough traffic to not need a subsidy.

Subsidies should be for remote communities where the next nearest community with RPT is several hours away, not small towns an hour down the road from a major regional centre.

Bathurst is close enough to Sydney that it is part of the Opal network. Still takes 4 hours to get to Sydney (Central) but very cheap.
Maybe FlyPelican can step in take over these routes if ZL doesn't want to fly them.
19 seats is probably enough for these routes. Doctors , solicitors and the like wouldn't catch the train.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

Thatcher

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:31 am

EK413 wrote:
Thatcher wrote:

The aircraft ferried to SYD at 22,000ft with gear extended.

Qantas engineers will jack up the aircraft to perform a landing gear inspection prior to the aircraft continuing onto SIN where it will under go refurbishment.

After an extended stay in the desert, Singapore Airlines yesterday removed one of its Airbus A380s ahead of a planned refurbishment of the type. The airline plans to fit its entire remaining fleet of 12 aircraft with its latest A380 cabin product. The airline first revealed the plan in November.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/simplef ... rings/amp/

Cheers, thanks for that.

jrfspa320

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 am

I am yet to ride on a Bae 146 / Avro RJ and the options to do so are rapidly dwindling...i know Cobham still fly quite a few out of Perth, but these are all mining charters?

utaussiefan

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am

RE Rex pulling out of KI, they actually planned on pulling out last year however stayed an extra year after the government subsidy was in place. They had reduced services down to 2 return services a week at one point. QantasLink had a much more substantial schedule. They can play the victim card all they like but people can see through it. It's competition.
First announced in Feb last year
https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/st ... s/?cs=1525
They then planned on pulling out at the end of December 2020 but ended up sticking around a little longer.
https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/st ... kage-ends/

ClassicLover

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Australia isn’t really big enough for two full airline group players it seems. Ansett didn’t survive, and Virgin Blue/Australia have been in trouble several times in their 20 year existence, weren’t looking too rosy coming into 2002, and were almost immediately in trouble once Covid hit.

Of course Australia is big enough for two full airline groups.

The problem is that Qantas has most of the lucrative corporate contracts locked up, and a great deal of consumers as well with all the co-branded credit cards, supermarket cards and so on.

Getting the Australian public to switch is the problem, as they're already tied into Qantas. The emotional attachment to the airline, coupled with all of that, means that any competitor automatically starts with one hand tied behind their back.

You have to remember that Virgin Blue was profitable and had they kept to their original strategy, they still would be. There is certainly room in the market for more airlines in Australia, but getting a foot in the door with corporates and the public is extremely difficult.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Obzerva

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 am

ClassicLover wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Australia isn’t really big enough for two full airline group players it seems. Ansett didn’t survive, and Virgin Blue/Australia have been in trouble several times in their 20 year existence, weren’t looking too rosy coming into 2002, and were almost immediately in trouble once Covid hit.

You have to remember that Virgin Blue was profitable and had they kept to their original strategy, they still would be. There is certainly room in the market for more airlines in Australia, but getting a foot in the door with corporates and the public is extremely difficult.

I’m not sure if Virgin Blue would have survived exactly as you describe.
QF was squeezing DJ from the top, and a massively ramped up JQ was squeezing it from the bottom, they were basically being squeezed, and I’m pretty sure they’re profits were strong but dropping, hence their change in market strategy.
Unfortunately they went too hard on trying to be a Qantas lite and failed, loading up on costs but not revenue to offset them.

I’ll be interested to see where VA finds themselves in a few years and exactly what they’re badly communicated strategy is.
There’s just too many unknowns atm, especially regarding future codesgsre routes with QQ

sierrakilo44

Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:09 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Of course Australia is big enough for two full airline groups.

The problem is that Qantas has most of the lucrative corporate contracts locked up, and a great deal of consumers as well with all the co-branded credit cards, supermarket cards and so on.

Getting the Australian public to switch is the problem, as they're already tied into Qantas. The emotional attachment to the airline, coupled with all of that, means that any competitor automatically starts with one hand tied behind their back.

So if one airline has most of the corporate contracts and Frequent Flyer schemes and cards in the country locked up doesn’t that indicate that Australia isn’t big enough for two full airline groups?

The new VA will look like VB, with just 737s. Essentially what the company was before John Borghetti decided to turn VB into QF lite because he missed out on the CEO’s job at Qantas.

But that isn’t a full airline group with a mainline, regional, low cost, freight and international segments along with the associated FF business.

VB tried to do that by becoming VA and failed. Ansett eventually failed. The nation isn’t big enough for two full airline groups, just one plus a secondary operator on mainline routes.

One of VA or Rex will fail. Even Rex admitted this when they told a group of potential investors their strategy relied upon Virgin collapsing:

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport ... 121-p56vt5

eta unknown

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm

There is room for 2 airlines on the golden triangle routes between SYD-MEL-BNE. Outside of that triangle, there's very little room, especially long routes like DRW. I remember reading when AN collapsed they only had 6 profitable domestic routes; surprisingly, SYD-BNE wasn't one of them (20 years later, BNE is now a much bigger place). Unfortunately, with Australia the population just isn't there outside the triangle.

ClassicLover

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:35 pm

eta unknown wrote:
There is room for 2 airlines on the golden triangle routes between SYD-MEL-BNE. Outside of that triangle, there's very little room, especially long routes like DRW. I remember reading when AN collapsed they only had 6 profitable domestic routes; surprisingly, SYD-BNE wasn't one of them (20 years later, BNE is now a much bigger place). Unfortunately, with Australia the population just isn't there outside the triangle.

You're taking that out of context though. AN certainly may have had only six profitable routes, but that is because AN had massively high costs thanks to their bloated structure, aging fleet and generous employment contracts. That they could not make a profit on the routes has no bearing on whether others can make a profit or not on the routes. The link you make is tenuous at best.

sierrakilo44

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:56 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
You're taking that out of context though. AN certainly may have had only six profitable routes, but that is because AN had massively high costs thanks to their bloated structure, aging fleet and generous employment contracts. That they could not make a profit on the routes has no bearing on whether others can make a profit or not on the routes. The link you make is tenuous at best.

Ansett’s most profitable time was in fact just before 2001 with Rod Eddington at the helm. The staff costs were no more than their domestic competitor. The airline won the 1989 pilot’s dispute so individual staff costs couldn’t have been a main cause of collapse.

The real reason for Ansett’s collapse? Air New Zealand. It all went downhill when they took full control. You heard tales about Air NZ freighters being loaded up with Ansett spare parts in Melbourne in the middle of the night and then flying to Auckland. Leading to a lack of 767 spare parts for Ansett and their grounding over Christmas 2000. Air NZ’s incompetence bled both airlines dry and then they were recipients of a government bailout, whereas Ansett was not. Ansett could have survived as a simple airline flying the most profitable routes (like VB would eventually become) but alas they were too far in the red thanks to Air NZ.

And to save their skin the managers spread lies about how it was all the greedy staff member’s fault. The worst I heard was that Ansett staff were offered a 10% pay cut in order to save the airline but they refused and that’s why the airline went under. That is totally untrue. An incompetent managerial class lying to save their reputations.

RyanairGuru

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Unfortunately, with Australia the population just isn't there outside the triangle.

This.

Sydney and Melbourne alone account for 40% of Australia’s population. With Brisbane you get to 50% (and, yes, Brisbane is a vastly different place to 20 years ago).

Outside of the triangle, underlying demand for air travel starts to tail off very quickly. Obviously there is demand across the country, but not really enough to slice a smallish market three or four ways.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SCFlyer

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:20 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Unfortunately, with Australia the population just isn't there outside the triangle.

This.

Sydney and Melbourne alone account for 40% of Australia’s population. With Brisbane you get to 50% (and, yes, Brisbane is a vastly different place to 20 years ago).

Outside of the triangle, underlying demand for air travel starts to tail off very quickly. Obviously there is demand across the country, but not really enough to slice a smallish market three or four ways.

If I recall, Eddington sold most of AN's non-core businesses such as the Hotels and Hamilton Island (?), leaving only their FF program and their core Domestic & (smallish International subsidiary).

The other big announcement I also remember is replacing their 'gas guzzling' 3-crew 743s with leased (older) 744s from SQ just before Eddington left the company. Eddington left AN not long after Cushing used his veto/pre-emptive rights to purchase the remaining 50% of AN (and therefore blocking SQ) despite fully knowning his company (NZ) didn't have the financial capital to fix an ailing AN.

Whether if egos in NZ didn't get in the way and SQ got the 50% stake from News Corp may have been a different story.

May AN had survived under a 50% NZ/50% SQ ownership, or would SQ have 'delayed the inevitable' had 'NZ not got in the way' and acquired the 50% stake from News Corp?

a36001

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Qantas responds/calls out REX's on their 'imtimidation' claims. QFLink's CEO basically calling it just "another REX tantrum"

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/qanta ... ouncement/

Well said Qantas! Rex is now going to find out what real competition is! Do they really expect QF, JQ and VA to just lay down and allow them any market share without a flight! Qantas is famous for 'defending their turf' and so they should! As should JQ and VA which breeds competition which is a good thing, and Rex should too, if they actually get any!

RyanairGuru

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:47 am

a36001 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Qantas responds/calls out REX's on their 'imtimidation' claims. QFLink's CEO basically calling it just "another REX tantrum"

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/qanta ... ouncement/

Well said Qantas! Rex is now going to find out what real competition is! Do they really expect QF, JQ and VA to just lay down and allow them any market share without a flight! Qantas is famous for 'defending their turf' and so they should! As should JQ and VA which breeds competition which is a good thing, and Rex should too, if they actually get any!

The ASX statement the other day, basically, says "we can't compete against Qantas ... therefore we will enter TMW, CFS and CBR". I get that they are larger markets than Cooma and Bathurst, but if they are concerned that they can't compete against 'predatory' fares then why are they entering even more Qantas markets?

I increasingly wonder whether Rex know they are on a hiding to nothing, but are trying to position themselves for a merger with VA. Restructuring their regional network to be more like Qantas Link forms part of that, as Coffs Harbour and Canberra are more relevant to a major network carrier than Grafton and Cooma (no disrespect intended!). The problem with such a strategy is that I just can't see Bain biting. They could take back the leases they had already rejected along with some aging Saabs, or they could just let Rex go bust. Bain have the pockets to ride out the inevitable price war, bleeding Rex dry.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SCFlyer

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:21 am

REX releases a preview of J class catering on their 737 ops through their Facebook page.

It's basically just Premium Y similar to J on the widebodies of LCCs AirAsiaX and Scoot.

BAeRJ100

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:02 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
I am yet to ride on a Bae 146 / Avro RJ and the options to do so are rapidly dwindling...i know Cobham still fly quite a few out of Perth, but these are all mining charters?

Cobham now only has the Avro in service, their last pax 146 retired last week. There are 3 based at PER and 2 at ADL, all used for charters (Cobham doesn’t operate any RPT routes). Your best bet is on someone organising an adhoc charter before the fleet is retired this time next year.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

soyuz

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 am

It has been a while since I’ve seen a QantasLink non-Q400 Dash 8 in Queensland. Have they moved all the -300s down south?

ClassicLover

Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Ansett’s most profitable time was in fact just before 2001 with Rod Eddington at the helm. The staff costs were no more than their domestic competitor. The airline won the 1989 pilot’s dispute so individual staff costs couldn’t have been a main cause of collapse.

The real reason for Ansett’s collapse? Air New Zealand. It all went downhill when they took full control. You heard tales about Air NZ freighters being loaded up with Ansett spare parts in Melbourne in the middle of the night and then flying to Auckland. Leading to a lack of 767 spare parts for Ansett and their grounding over Christmas 2000. Air NZ’s incompetence bled both airlines dry and then they were recipients of a government bailout, whereas Ansett was not. Ansett could have survived as a simple airline flying the most profitable routes (like VB would eventually become) but alas they were too far in the red thanks to Air NZ.

And to save their skin the managers spread lies about how it was all the greedy staff member’s fault. The worst I heard was that Ansett staff were offered a 10% pay cut in order to save the airline but they refused and that’s why the airline went under. That is totally untrue. An incompetent managerial class lying to save their reputations.

With regards to the staff costs, you are wrong. There are many reports of Ansett wages for cabin crew, pilots, engineers, ground staff being on substantially higher money than the competition. You also had, up until 1998, three flight crew on the 767s, which added a huge amount of cost to that fleet. In addition, the Ansett fleet had examples of many of the short-haul aircraft available at the time, which had an impact on economics. The fact they were an economic basket case, long before Air New Zealand entered the picture, is not disputed in aviation circles.

What you wrote around the spare parts was subsequently found to be wrong after an investigation, however I will agree it was all over the Australian media (who are clearly renowned worldwide for their accuracy and lack of hysterical reporting ( :? )). Ansett also could not fly as a "simple airline flying the most profitable routes", otherwise Ansett Mk II would have proceeded.

Yes, the big boys who decided to play with Ansett over the years with their ego trips were certainly a major factor. Either way, it's ancient history these days - let's hope something like that doesn't happen again.

anstar

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 am

SCFlyer wrote:
REX releases a preview of J class catering on their 737 ops through their Facebook page.

It's basically just Premium Y similar to J on the widebodies of LCCs AirAsiaX and Scoot.

Looks ok to me for a MEL-SYD flight and looks like more than what you get on QF at times and than you get on VA currently. What more do you want for breaky on a 1 hour flight?

qf002

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 am

SCFlyer wrote:

It all just looks so daggy and dated. REX needs to be trying a hell of a lot harder if they are serious about making this new venture a success.

IndianicWorld

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 am

qf002 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

It all just looks so daggy and dated. REX needs to be trying a hell of a lot harder if they are serious about making this new venture a success.

Yes and no. What they need to do is be able to deliver a reliable product at the right price point.

Spending money on significant upgrades to the interiors May be a priority for some, but I tend to think spending on that would likely put them on the back foot.

Going in with a VA style cabin will not worry most travellers. They are going for a value driven market position, so ultimately delivering on the basics is key.

QF/JQ and VA offer vastly more appealing route networks though, so it will need to continue to grow it’s network at a sustainable rate, which will be challenging outside of the triangle.

qf002

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Yes and no. What they need to do is be able to deliver a reliable product at the right price point.

They will need to do more than that to attract customers in the midst of a brutal price war.

Either go dirt cheap for an extended period (ie $1 fares) or find another way to cut through, which will require some creativity beyond being a clone of QF circa 2005.

joffie

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Qantas half-yearly results: Airline announces $1 billion loss
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... f6c2cc2ee6

DeltaB717

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 am

soyuz wrote:
It has been a while since I’ve seen a QantasLink non-Q400 Dash 8 in Queensland. Have they moved all the -300s down south?

That they have - Q400s only now for the BNE base (and CNS has been that way for a couple of years), and Q300s only for the MEL & ADL bases. SYD/CBR are the only mixed bases.

Fuling

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
soyuz wrote:

That they have - Q400s only now for the BNE base (and CNS has been that way for a couple of years), and Q300s only for the MEL & ADL bases. SYD/CBR are the only mixed bases.

What are the 200's doing? Are they sticking around for a bit longer, or is their time almost up?

CraigAnderson

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 am

AJ says its proposed 31 October international restart will be with only 11 B789s, not the full 14, Qantas will not accept delivery of its final three B789s until demand returns. That's apparently why New York, Santiago and Osaka are not included in the destinations from 31 October.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... al-flights

jrfspa320

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 am

Fuling wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
soyuz wrote:

What are the 200's doing? Are they sticking around for a bit longer, or is their time almost up?

Goes back to LDH, nothing else can get in

Kent350787

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:50 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Fuling wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

They do use them a little wider - I saw one coming in from Tamworth last week. But they are the only aircraft i the fleet that can do LDH. The contract is up next year, but there is no word on whether a runway extension may be approved to allow larger/newer aircraft.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

qf2048

Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:16 am

Kent350787 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

They do use them a little wider - I saw one coming in from Tamworth last week. But they are the only aircraft i the fleet that can do LDH. The contract is up next year, but there is no word on whether a runway extension may be approved to allow larger/newer aircraft.

Q200 seems to be quite regular on MRZ. There is one currently in the air OAG-SYD. I was on one a few months ago. I was impressed on the condition of the cabin. Think they might have done refurbishments on these.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

qf2220

Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:29 am

Kent350787 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

TMW is the maintenance base for the Dash8's correct? Would explain it coming from TMW.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:01 pm

CASA has lifted the ban on 737MAX flights

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/aus ... x-flights/
Forum Moderator

qf2048

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:58 am

I saw on Prime News North Coast, via their You Tube channel, ZL are going to commence SYD-PQQ.
Not sure on the start date.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Proposed International schedule for QF below, planned from 31 Oct 21 though subject to change

One thing to note, what is proposed with the 789 fleet would take around 16 787's so some cutting is needed

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 88930?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Further to my post above, the following routes not available for booking

BNE-HKG
BNE-NRT
MEL-SFO
SYD-KIX
SYD-SCL

LAX tag to JFK

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 97282?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:14 pm

Cathay planning to reduce SYD to 1 weekly A350-1000 for March

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 02625?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:16 pm

LATAM to operate once every 2 weeks on AKL-SYD between Apr and Jun 21, increasing to 5 weekly from Jul 21, though subject to change

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 92875?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Qantas says they will start the process of new short haul aircraft to replace the current 737 fleet later this year

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... raft-year/
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:04 am

qf789 wrote:
LATAM to operate once every 2 weeks on AKL-SYD between Apr and Jun 21, increasing to 5 weekly from Jul 21, though subject to change

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/stat ... 92875?s=20

Would assume cargo only?

qf2220

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:22 am

qf789 wrote:
Proposed International schedule for QF below, planned from 31 Oct 21 though subject to change

One thing to note, what is proposed with the 789 fleet would take around 16 787's so some cutting is needed

What assumptions are they making behind this schedule? It looks incredibly optimistic - are QF being serious? Is hotel quarantine supposed to be ending in October? is the vaccine going to be the first line of defence? The rest of the world is going to be nowhere near the low level of covid that we are and will represent a huge risk to us if suddenly all this inbound capacity is added.... I guess i cant see a lot of this schedule happening.

anstar

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:31 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
qf002 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Spending money on significant upgrades to the interiors May be a priority for some, but I tend to think spending on that would likely put them on the back foot.

Going in with a VA style cabin will not worry most travellers. They are going for a value driven market position, so ultimately delivering on the basics is key.

QF/JQ and VA offer vastly more appealing route networks though, so it will need to continue to grow it’s network at a sustainable rate, which will be challenging outside of the triangle.

I don't believe the interiors need to have $$ spent.. but considering they already paid for the livery... why the heck do you plaster "Our heart is in the country" for capital connecting flights? Seems a bit out of touch and dont get me started on the poor execution of the "Rex in the cities" banner on their homepage... I think they need a new person in charge of markeiting.

EK413

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

What assumptions are they making behind this schedule? It looks incredibly optimistic - are QF being serious? Is hotel quarantine supposed to be ending in October? is the vaccine going to be the first line of defence? The rest of the world is going to be nowhere near the low level of covid that we are and will represent a huge risk to us if suddenly all this inbound capacity is added.... I guess i cant see a lot of this schedule happening.

Definitely optimistic & most likely a way to generate forward bookings and cash flow which in turn will take 3 months to reimburse and incur interest...

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ClassicLover

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am

anstar wrote:
I don't believe the interiors need to have $$ spent.. but considering they already paid for the livery... why the heck do you plaster "Our heart is in the country" for capital connecting flights? Seems a bit out of touch and dont get me started on the poor execution of the "Rex in the cities" banner on their homepage... I think they need a new person in charge of markeiting.

It's amusing to see that you don't seem to like anything about Rex. It's clear that they are doing something different and marketing to their target market - which is evidently not you. Nothing wrong with that, but slagging them for it is a bit useless.

I was just looking through their website and the menus could be a thousand times better... (carrying a coffin must be popular as it's everywhere!)... It also doesn't mention or show their business class anywhere nor are there any seating plans for the aircraft. Hope someone at Rex is taking notes.

eta unknown

Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:01 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
anstar wrote:

It's amusing to see that you don't seem to like anything about Rex. It's clear that they are doing something different and marketing to their target market - which is evidently not you. Nothing wrong with that, but slagging them for it is a bit useless.

I was just looking through their website and the menus could be a thousand times better... (carrying a coffin must be popular as it's everywhere!)... It also doesn't mention or show their business class anywhere nor are there any seating plans for the aircraft. Hope someone at Rex is taking notes.

So you slag others for it, then you go and do the same... nice. FYI the coffin carriage info on their website was discussed awhile back.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread - March 2021

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1458255
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos