Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 2/21: And the fun just keeps on leaving ...

Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:29 pm

Good evening my friends, and welcome to another joy-filled Irish aviation thread.

If anyone finds any joy: catch it, stuff it, mount it and sell it to the natural history museum.

Here's a link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455937

So, what has happened in the last month? Well, nothing much good anyway. Turkish Airlines provided perhaps the only positive note, with increased capacity on the DUB route, through the use of A330s.

The toing and froing over vaccines probably hasn't added any note of optimism to what lies ahead, but at least they are coming and we can at least hope to rescue something towards the end of the year, but as Australia and NZ have shown, even the defeat of the virus does not mean that the flying floodgates will suddenly open up. However, the fact that people are vaccinated - and will probably have to carry some kind of vaccine certs - does suggest that we will see some positive developments. There is light at the end of this very, very dark and long tunnel.

Right now, the government is trying very hard to clamp down on travel, with heavy fines being imposed. Probably should have happened last year, but for now, we just have to accept it and hope it works. I don't think we'll be seeing any significant opening up of travel until the third quarter, if even then.

EI320

Re: Irish 2/21: And the fun just keeps on leaving ...

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:28 pm

Given the poor outlook for 2021, it's probably worth reviewing the funding status of Irish airlines:

Ryanair - reported cash of EUR 4.5 billion as of Sept 30, 2020. Well positioned to weather the pandemic. Could we see Ryanair acquire aircraft on the cheap in the second-hand market? Ryanair HQ is presumably looking for ways to capitalise on this crisis.

Aer Lingus - Cash at the consolidated level (IAG) was EUR 8 billion as of Nov 30, 2020. BA received a UK-backed loan of GBP 2 billion. EI had presumably banked on a rebound in S21 to boost liquidity, but a mid-year rebound is now looking less likely. Would be surprising if EI / IAG weren't sounding out the Irish Government for some financial support, but direct financial support to EI could be politically difficult. Ryanair HQ would hit the roof if there wasn't equal treatment.

ASL Airlines - the one few outside the industry know about. Primarily cargo-focused, so has presumably done quite well out of the pandemic. Probably the airline most likely to grow during COVID.

Stobart Air - was reported during 2020 that liquidity was an issue, but little reported in recent months. Presumably having a tough time. If the EI contract moves to Emerald, I wonder what the future holds for Stobart?

acavpics

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:57 pm

EI320 wrote:
Given the poor outlook for 2021, it's probably worth reviewing the funding status of Irish airlines:
?

kaitak wrote:
Good evening my friends, and welcome to another joy-filled Irish aviation thread.

If anyone finds any joy: catch it, stuff it, mount it and sell it to the natural history museum.

Here's a link to the last thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455937

So, what has happened in the last month? Well, nothing much good anyway. Turkish Airlines provided perhaps the only positive note, with increased capacity on the DUB route, through the use of A330s.

The toing and froing over vaccines probably hasn't added any note of optimism to what lies ahead, but at least they are coming and we can at least hope to rescue something towards the end of the year, but as Australia and NZ have shown, even the defeat of the virus does not mean that the flying floodgates will suddenly open up. However, the fact that people are vaccinated - and will probably have to carry some kind of vaccine certs - does suggest that we will see some positive developments. There is light at the end of this very, very dark and long tunnel.

Right now, the government is trying very hard to clamp down on travel, with heavy fines being imposed. Probably should have happened last year, but for now, we just have to accept it and hope it works. I don't think we'll be seeing any significant opening up of travel until the third quarter, if even then.

Oh quit it with the negativity. We are just a month into this year.

EI320

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:14 pm

acavpics wrote:

I suggest you try telling that to anyone who relies on the aviation sector in this country for a living. You are right - we are just a month into 2021 - and the outlook has darkened significantly in that time.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:34 pm

None of us wants to be negative, but as of now, that light at the end of the tunnel is - as I said - some time off. It will come. This too will pass. Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.

We will get through this; it's just that right now, the bad news outweighs the good. To make a Star Wars analogy: right now, the Sith are in the driving seat and the rest of us are just in deep s...

Allanc1987

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:51 pm

EI320 wrote:

Ryanair - reported cash of EUR 4.5 billion as of Sept 30, 2020. Well positioned to weather the pandemic. Could we see Ryanair acquire aircraft on the cheap in the second-hand market? Ryanair HQ is presumably looking for ways to capitalise on this crisis.

Aer Lingus - Cash at the consolidated level (IAG) was EUR 8 billion as of Nov 30, 2020. BA received a UK-backed loan of GBP 2 billion. EI had presumably banked on a rebound in S21 to boost liquidity, but a mid-year rebound is now looking less likely. Would be surprising if EI / IAG weren't sounding out the Irish Government for some financial support, but direct financial support to EI could be politically difficult. Ryanair HQ would hit the roof if there wasn't equal treatment.

ASL Airlines - the one few outside the industry know about. Primarily cargo-focused, so has presumably done quite well out of the pandemic. Probably the airline most likely to grow during COVID.

Stobart Air - was reported during 2020 that liquidity was an issue, but little reported in recent months. Presumably having a tough time. If the EI contract moves to Emerald, I wonder what the future holds for Stobart?

Stobart Air likely to be sold this month, buyer not yet known likely to be either CityJet Or Eastern Airways EI have awarded the contract to Emerald to start in 2023

OA260

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:11 pm

kaitak wrote:

At least people know where they stand now. No travel for the foreseeable so they cant say they were not warned. Whether we like it or not government has decided to double down on travel and by April or May we may see a further update. While many have been badly affected in the travel and tourism sector many have equally been temporarily saved with the TWSS/PUP but when that ends we will only know who sank and who swam. Hopefully more being the latter.

Some routes will be reinstated quicker than others probably CTA and EU flights. USA less so . If DUB manages to retain the ME3 then that will be a success. If all goes well 2022 could be the year to relaunch the DUBHUB and hopefully we will see a boom of sorts even if that is to places under 4 hours flying. There will most likely be restrictions for outbound and inbound for countries that have not completed their vaccination programs.

Lets hope for a good Summer in Ireland as that would certainly ease the pain. I suppose we still have two Domestic routes to KIR and CFN for those who need to get into the air again.

I also wonder with EK announcing another years extension for its FF members will others such as Aer Lingus follow suit for AerClub. Small world problems I know but still would be a nice gesture considering its near impossible to renew based in DUB/ORK/SNN.

ClassicLover

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 am

kaitak wrote:

I know your thread titles reflect the prevailing mood, but really, can you do something neutral next month? Seeing negativity all the time encourages more negativity and now I have to see this title all month too. Lucky it's a short one :) Just a thought anyway.

OA260 wrote:
At least people know where they stand now. No travel for the foreseeable so they cant say they were not warned. Whether we like it or not government has decided to double down on travel and by April or May we may see a further update. While many have been badly affected in the travel and tourism sector many have equally been temporarily saved with the TWSS/PUP but when that ends we will only know who sank and who swam. Hopefully more being the latter.

Some routes will be reinstated quicker than others probably CTA and EU flights. USA less so . If DUB manages to retain the ME3 then that will be a success. If all goes well 2022 could be the year to relaunch the DUBHUB and hopefully we will see a boom of sorts even if that is to places under 4 hours flying. There will most likely be restrictions for outbound and inbound for countries that have not completed their vaccination programs.

Lets hope for a good Summer in Ireland as that would certainly ease the pain. I suppose we still have two Domestic routes to KIR and CFN for those who need to get into the air again.

I also wonder with EK announcing another years extension for its FF members will others such as Aer Lingus follow suit for AerClub. Small world problems I know but still would be a nice gesture considering its near impossible to renew based in DUB/ORK/SNN.

I didn't even book travel in the BA sale, even though fares to the USA in business class were €1,200 return, which is as good as it gets. I didn't really want to have that much cash tied up in a voucher if things didn't work out, even though I was considering booking in October or November. Still too risky, if you ask me. I didn't even book Club Europe out of Dublin to London, which was pricing up at €170 return or something, again the cheapest it's ever been. I also didn't book as a I have a feeling there'll be more sales as we go on, as I can't imagine very many people booked in that sale, but that's just a total guess.

Qatar and Cathay Pacific have also extended their frequent flyers by another year. With that being the trend, I can see BA following suit in June and no doubt Aer Lingus will do the same. Now the flood gates are open...

I think the most likely holiday will be to the UK, so I've been looking at things like the newly refurbished Caledonian Sleeper to/from Fort William in Scotland and things like that. Things I've been meaning to do forever but haven't got around to. Planning trips, just not booking anything. A few more months at home won't hurt anyway, I have my routine sorted.

Eagleboy

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am

acavpics wrote:
EI320 wrote:

I look forward to you providing 3-4 examples of events/news that should make us feel positive about the short term future of Irish aviation.........

Admitting reality isn’t “negativity”, it’s objective thought.
Here are 4 negative examples to counter your positive ones........
-Irish Govt/media is advocating against foreign travel.
-International borders are becoming less porous.
-Airlines were relying upon a bounce back in 2021.
-vaccine rollout is slower than initially expected (granted this was always a known issue)

OA260

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:20 am

ClassicLover wrote:

I think the most likely holiday will be to the UK, so I've been looking at things like the newly refurbished Caledonian Sleeper to/from Fort William in Scotland and things like that. Things I've been meaning to do forever but haven't got around to. Planning trips, just not booking anything. A few more months at home won't hurt anyway, I have my routine sorted.

Its not such a bad thing really we often forget things that are on our doorstep. Just need the weather. Have to admit I have never done the DUB-CFN and really need to tick it off the list. If we get a good Summer it would be a great time to do it. There are positives my bank balance is the healthiest its been for ages due to lack of paying out for J class flights and hotels and I have still managed to do some renovations at home so its all good.

The Caledonian Sleeper sounds great coupled with a nice Loganair flight maybe from BHD.

--

I think MOL is becoming a bit desperate and foolish with his words. More then usual. He is starting to sound a bit like that national treasure of ours Gemma O'Doherty.

Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary accuses Nphet of ‘mass hysteria’ as he launches tirade against health chiefs and RTÉ

O’Leary was speaking as Ryanair set for full-year loss of almost €1bn

www.independent.ie/news/ryanair-boss-mi ... 35305.html

---

Aviation industry warns pandemic recovery will not take effect until 2022

Passenger numbers down 99pc compared with this time last year at one Irish airport

The Irish aviation sector is bracing itself for route losses, aircraft transfers and a requirement for further State aid as fears mount that a recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic now won’t occur before 2022.

The revelation came as it emerged one airport, Cork, has suffered a 99pc collapse in passenger traffic from January 2020 to January 2021. Airport and airline officials acknowledged the industry now faces a grim short-term outlook because of the impact of new Covid-19 strains and the slower-than-expected vaccine roll-out across Ireland and Europe.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/aviat ... 34067.html

I do wonder if the Irish government will continue to fund the travel and tourism sector throughout the Summer. Will they adopt a policy of trying to get the Domestic economy opened up with the hope that tax receipts will help fund the industries that cant open up. It will be interesting to see if the holiday at home tax incentives are used or will they decide that tax breaks are not needed so that gives the government more room to fund outbound travel and tourism.

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:46 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I know your thread titles reflect the prevailing mood, but really, can you do something neutral next month? Seeing negativity all the time encourages more negativity and now I have to see this title all month too. Lucky it's a short one :) Just a thought anyway.

I will try; you never know, something positive might happen this month. I was trying (believe it or not) to bring a bit of humour (very black, as it happens) into it. Maybe I'll go for something like "we're not dead yet" (if it's actually a correct appraisal of our situation!)

Was talking to a friend who works at the airport and although pax traffic has obviously collapsed, cargo traffic is still ongoing and the ME3 are still flying in; TK has a once weekly 77W flying in, which operated this am. There is also a fair amount of bizjet travel.

ClassicLover

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:58 pm

OA260 wrote:
Its not such a bad thing really we often forget things that are on our doorstep. Just need the weather. Have to admit I have never done the DUB-CFN and really need to tick it off the list. If we get a good Summer it would be a great time to do it. There are positives my bank balance is the healthiest its been for ages due to lack of paying out for J class flights and hotels and I have still managed to do some renovations at home so its all good.

The Caledonian Sleeper sounds great coupled with a nice Loganair flight maybe from BHD.

You really have to do CFN, it's so worth it! I stayed overnight at Caisleáin Óir Hotel, which I walked to from the airport in about 40 minutes. Fairly basic rooms, but nice staff and really good food (and plenty of it!) in the restaurant. There's nothing at all around there, unless you want to go to the beach... but it is a gorgeous part of the world. Domestically I still need to fly into KIR, so I should add that jaunt to my list.

I didn't even think of Loganair out of BHD... now you've given me some more ideas! I really like BHD, I flew out of there to London on BA once just for fun. Happy to do that again, plus I always like the Enterprise to Belfast. Thanks for that!

OA260 wrote:
Aviation industry warns pandemic recovery will not take effect until 2022

The Irish aviation sector is bracing itself for route losses, aircraft transfers and a requirement for further State aid as fears mount that a recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic now won’t occur before 2022.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 34067.html

--

I do wonder if the Irish government will continue to fund the travel and tourism sector throughout the Summer. Will they adopt a policy of trying to get the Domestic economy opened up with the hope that tax receipts will help fund the industries that cant open up. It will be interesting to see if the holiday at home tax incentives are used or will they decide that tax breaks are not needed so that gives the government more room to fund outbound travel and tourism.

I think the signs are pointing to it being 2022, though it may kick off earlier. All the frequent flyer extensions, vaccine delays and so on all point to that.

The Irish Government is going to have to fund the sector through summer, I would think. The only way I can see them getting out of it, in part at least, is if internal travel is permitted without restriction. People will holiday in Ireland if that is the only option. I'm also interested to see how it pans out.

kaitak wrote:
I will try; you never know, something positive might happen this month. I was trying (believe it or not) to bring a bit of humour (very black, as it happens) into it. Maybe I'll go for something like "we're not dead yet" (if it's actually a correct appraisal of our situation!)

Was talking to a friend who works at the airport and although pax traffic has obviously collapsed, cargo traffic is still ongoing and the ME3 are still flying in; TK has a once weekly 77W flying in, which operated this am. There is also a fair amount of bizjet travel.

Hahaha! "We're not dead yet!" :P Love it!

Yeah from what I hear cargo is going gangbusters at the moment, plus a premium can be charged as all the usual passenger flights are often not operating. Those in that side of the airline business are doing just fine. It's really the only area with a positive story.

OA260

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm

A very personal story for one Aer Lingus pilot

Skies darken for airlines as hope of quick recovery fades

Emmett Diver, Aer Lingus pilot: ‘I have to face facts that I have no job, potentially, come even the summertime. I see a very bleak outlook.

As Ireland fell into a deep and prolonged lockdown last spring and people were told to stay home, senior first officer Emmett Diver’s Airbus A330 cut through the mid-Atlantic skies en route to Chicago.

www.businesspost.ie/aviation/skies-dark ... medium=web

EIBusiness

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am

I can certainly empathise hugely with the story from the Aer Lingus pilot. Having arrived in on a virtually empty aircraft into Ireland in recent times - there is only one word to describe the atmosphere and level of activity - devastation. I can only describe the level of suppression of activity as tenfold worse than the most restrictive measures in place in any state in the USA. The atmosphere at DUB Airport was nothing short of depressing.

Ireland needs a lot more than NPHET to get out of this crisis. Why are public health individuals who, with the greatest respect, have limited knowledge of and experience with anything beyond core health policy, constantly in the PIC seat as it relates to COVID-19 in Ireland? Where is the cross functional task force that will look at all aspects of a lockdown and will get started on forward looking proactive economic measures?

The news cycle in Ireland is dominated 24/7 by relentless negativity and constant warnings and threats from NPHET about where people might be able to travel many months from now. Why? All in an effort to distract people from the fact that there is ZERO accountability. Vaccine administration statistics are only published when it suits. Nobody is holding NPHET to account in this regard. No single person has been appointed to that task force with sole responsibility for vaccine rollout.

It’s really very simple. Any notions of a quick recovery in Ireland are deeply misguided if the rate of progress remains as slow as is currently. It is sad that a country with so much potential risks being left behind due to severe mismanagement of this crisis. I’ve said it many months before and I’ll say it again - in Ireland at least, this crisis makes 2008/2009 look like a relatively minor economic disruption in comparison.

There is no comprehensive plan. There is no plan to support and restore Aviation in Ireland. Just endless sound bites from politicians scrambling to stay ahead of a crisis and who are imparting misery to hundreds of thousands who want nothing but their careers back and to get on with life.

EIBusiness

BrianDromey

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:39 am

EIBusiness wrote:
There is no comprehensive plan. There is no plan to support and restore Aviation in Ireland. Just endless sound bites from politicians scrambling to stay ahead of a crisis and who are imparting misery to hundreds of thousands who want nothing but their careers back and to get on with life.

EIBusiness

As a frontline medic I disagree with your assessment of the effects of COVID. The health service has been working in a wartime footing for a year now, people are dying of COVID at all ages. People still need to have medical treatment, have accidents, sick children and have babies. However the health service is staffed by humans who are equally susceptible to COVID and work in the highest risk of environments. We’ve seen friends and colleagues self-isolate, admitted to hospital, ICU and even die. Not only them but their family members too. Imagine the effect that has on us?

The plan is to stay at home, work from home, reduce social contacts to keep the health service and other front line services functional. They might be creaking, even breaking but we’re still here and up and running. Any other plan risks that stability by making the public less complaint. It also wastes resources at a time when all government bandwidth is being consumed by items like PPE, vaccinations and bed capacity, Brexit and the games being played by the commission aren’t helping either. Anyway, what’s the point in a plan until case numbers are controlled, track and trace and testing actually work?

OA260

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:36 am

I have to say Brian that I am sometimes torn between the full travel lock downs and whats going on with the HSE/NHS. 1000 people are dead in Ireland because we celebrated Christmas. Actually I say we I personally did not and for the first time ever my Mum was alone like some other people we made the decision to keep away. Many Irish families decided to play Russian roulette and many are now watching their loved ones funeral services on Youtube channels set up by the Church. My own Sister who works in the health service gives me an insight to latest developments too.

Currently I support the full travel ban. Its a tough one especially as many of us who have family abroad have lost a year and maybe about to loose another one but hopefully by some miracle we will get some better news as the months go by.

It is amazing though how outsiders or ex pats abroad fail to understand that we are really in a lock down when it comes to travel. Speaking to someone yesterday abroad who is from Dublin they were asking me about the the best way to get home for Summer. They had no idea about the Police checks at Dublin Airport and the ones on arrival before passport control let alone the fines. If they really want to clamp down though all they need to do is check the EK flight coming in from DXB with non essential holiday makers posting on social media who must not be the brightest sparks.

And to think various people said I was mad back in March when I said no travel in 2020!

Ryanairs Jab & Go ads were short lived. Speaking of which Live line was interesting yesterday. Although I do wonder if those people should not take a class action with one solicitor and maybe do what has been done elsewhere in the past. Sending a sheriff to DUB to hold an aircraft might trigger those refunds ASAP.

Liveline callers react to Michael O’Leary’s statement on Morning Ireland today that everyone who has requested a refund from Ryanair has received it.

www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21902513

EIBusiness

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:23 am

BrianDromey wrote:
EIBusiness wrote:

EIBusiness

As a frontline medic I disagree with your assessment of the effects of COVID. The health service has been working in a wartime footing for a year now, people are dying of COVID at all ages. People still need to have medical treatment, have accidents, sick children and have babies. However the health service is staffed by humans who are equally susceptible to COVID and work in the highest risk of environments. We’ve seen friends and colleagues self-isolate, admitted to hospital, ICU and even die. Not only them but their family members too. Imagine the effect that has on us?

The plan is to stay at home, work from home, reduce social contacts to keep the health service and other front line services functional. They might be creaking, even breaking but we’re still here and up and running. Any other plan risks that stability by making the public less complaint. It also wastes resources at a time when all government bandwidth is being consumed by items like PPE, vaccinations and bed capacity, Brexit and the games being played by the commission aren’t helping either. Anyway, what’s the point in a plan until case numbers are controlled, track and trace and testing actually work?

Brian - you are entitled to disagree with me all that you want. I have very close family members working on the front-lines of medicine in Ireland every day. Some of whom I will add have not yet even received their first dose of vaccine! The harsh reality is that life has to go on however. The plan in Ireland is to stay at home, allow hundreds of thousands of careers to be permanently ruined forever because we have some of the lowest healthcare capacity in the developed western world. Sounds terrible to hear of course - but that is a fact! There is no comprehensive tracing system here or not one that can deal with any serious magnitude of cases. Firstly we were told - contact tracing will return when cases decline to 2,000 per day. Then it was when the average reaches 1,500 cases per day. Guess what - we are at 1,200 cases per day currently and contact tracing or comprehensive testing of close contacts still hasn't returned.

The fact of the matter is that the situation in Ireland is now markedly worse than it was six or even three months ago. There is no plan whatsoever. The plan is to offer nothing but misery to a public that is already suffering from increased levels of depression. What of the increased suicides? All of the missed cancer diagnoses? All of the delayed preventative scans? Those services are NOT going ahead despite everyone staying at home. Why don't we put a number on the mortality associated with that? It's going to amount to at least thousands in the Republic of Ireland alone. Why don't we discuss the fact that thousands of people in Ireland are becoming infected in the hospital environments? That the infection rates in Irish hospitals (i.e. people who did not enter the hospital with COVID-19) are also some of the highest experienced in the western world? Why is it that even the private COVID-19 testing infrastructure in Ireland is so limited?

OA260 wrote:
1000 people are dead in Ireland because we celebrated Christmas.

It is amazing though how outsiders or ex pats abroad fail to understand that we are really in a lock down when it comes to travel. Speaking to someone yesterday abroad who is from Dublin they were asking me about the the best way to get home for Summer. They had no idea about the Police checks at Dublin Airport and the ones on arrival before passport control let alone the fines. If they really want to clamp down though all they need to do is check the EK flight coming in from DXB with non essential holiday makers posting on social media who must not be the brightest sparks.

And to think various people said I was mad back in March when I said no travel in 2020!

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/htm ... 1/21902513

OA260 - if only life was as linear as your post suggests! We celebrated Christmas and 1,000 people died of COVID-19. The reality is the country was awash with illegal parties, social gatherings became rife with alcohol on far too many occasions, the level of mixing was extreme etc. Added to that - the virus has ravaged multiple long term care facilities. As a country we do not have the extensive healthcare infrastructure to deal with this - that is one of the sad realizations from this pandemic in Ireland.

As for ex pats living abroad - it simply depends. It's not for people who have the happy fortune of not needing to travel for their work to determine what is or what is not essential travel. I know it's great for the Facebook brigades etc. but you'll be surprised to learn there are actually many Irish businesses deemed "essential" under the Level 5 framework whose personnel have to travel or the businesses will simply shut down. As for people coming back home to visit family in Ireland - with negative pre-departure and post arrival tests and isolation on arrival - this should be a very safe process. But again - easy to comment when one is not in that situation.

The economic consequences of all of this will only become evident for all to see over the coming months as Ireland consistently lags other western nations in a return to "relative" normal due to what has been gross mismanagement of this crisis and a failure to appoint a cross functional team to head up the country's response.

Right now the response is - Let Aviation collapse, everyone needs to stay at home - and we might think of something to maybe shore up the economy later. In the meantime - persons leading the Government are focused on banning oil and gas exploration. Because that is very important when over 500,000 people are out of work and another 500,000 are dependent on the Employment Subsidy Support Schemes - right?

EIBusiness

shamrock350

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:34 am

EIBusiness wrote:
I’ve said it many months before and I’ll say it again - in Ireland at least, this crisis makes 2008/2009 look like a relatively minor economic disruption in comparison.

Well at least nobody can accuse you of not being self aware because every single one of your posts has essentially been a copy and paste of the last since the start of this crisis.

It’s all too easy to finger point and shout “wrong, wrong, wrong” but where’s *your* suggestions, tell us what you think should be done and give us something to actually respond to. Like you say, it’s really very simple.

OA260

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am

EIBusiness wrote:

OA260 wrote:
The reality is the country was awash with illegal parties, social gatherings became rife with alcohol on far too many occasions, the level of mixing was extreme etc. Added to that - the virus has ravaged multiple long term care facilities. As a country we do not have the extensive healthcare infrastructure to deal with this - that is one of the sad realizations from this pandemic in Ireland.

you'll be surprised to learn there are actually many Irish businesses deemed "essential" under the Level 5 framework whose personnel have to travel or the businesses will simply shut down. As for people coming back home to visit family in Ireland - with negative pre-departure and post arrival tests and isolation on arrival - this should be a very safe process.

Yep totally agree so no point trying to argue on things that are pretty much proven. Christmas parties and illegal gatherings and the demography of those illegal gatherings were not your stereotypical groups of youths either. They are everyday families and people.

As for essential business travel again your talking to the converted and was not my point. I know full well what types of essential business travel is allowed and the PCR requirements for each country. In fact if in any doubt there is a list on the government website to state exactly what the legal position is on essential travel and workers etc.. I also know a few that are traveling for that purpose so again no issue for me. I also know some who are traveling and pushing the boundaries because they have money and fancy a jolly. That of course is why Gards are at DUB checking.

BrianDromey

Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:55 pm

We risk going way off topic here, but while you say “life has to go on”, my response is this. The western world is built on functional government, health, justice, policing and essential services. Knowing that if you get sick or are hungry that there will be a hospital and there will be food on the shelves. The current lockdowns aim to protect this system and ensure that there are doctors, nurses midwives and others to prevent bodies building up in the street as happened in Northern Italy. Normally ITU patients stay for days, COIVD patients stay for 5-6 weeks in ICU. Admissions of this volume, for such long stays is unprecedented, could not be predicted and no one has resourced for. Wards have been retooled, staff hurriedly retrained, mostly on-the-job. I honestly don think you do have any comprehension of what a Herculean Ian task that really is.
As for life going on, I feel you have yet to accept that life is unlikely to ever be like it was in 2019. Conference, business travel, festivals, arenas all seem to be from a different world for now, 1 year on and most business has found a way to avoid travelling or exposing their people to high risk situations. Not all, of course. Some of these business will die, some will have to accept the risks. Healthcare, infrastructure, essential retail, essential pubic transport, home deliveries to name a few.

I’m still hopeful that my jaunt to JTR can go ahead at the end of June - mainly for my own sanity I have vowed not to cancel it, rather to reschedule. Let’s see what happens. We all have to have some hope that we will feel that warmth in our bones that just does not exist, even on the warm net of days on these Isles!

EIBusiness

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
EIBusiness wrote:
I’ve said it many months before and I’ll say it again - in Ireland at least, this crisis makes 2008/2009 look like a relatively minor economic disruption in comparison.

Well at least nobody can accuse you of not being self aware because every single one of your posts has essentially been a copy and paste of the last since the start of this crisis.

It’s all too easy to finger point and shout “wrong, wrong, wrong” but where’s *your* suggestions, tell us what you think should be done and give us something to actually respond to. Like you say, it’s really very simple.

I've advocated for stringent testing for months and months now. The government of Ireland could have put hundreds of millions of EUR into a testing system. Beefed up the tracing system. Paid all of those who are in receipt of PUP each week additional monies to join such a force. Paid for mass testing at our borders to allow some level of economic activity to continue. It really is very simple. You don't like what I'm saying - that's clear - but these are the facts. Don't take my word for it however - let's look at what others are saying just today.

More noise and still no action over a mandatory quarantine - over one week since these measures were rolled out. Sounds familiar? I think so! Just about what we have seen since the beginning of the crisis!

Hotel quarantine plans may face delay over legislation

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0 ... ronavirus/

Ireland under Level 5 - 'the mood is down this time around'

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... us-health/

Specifically - the articles states that:

One in every five in the population is struggling according to latest research by the Department of Psychiatry at Trinity College Dublin, to the point where anxiety is creating difficulty coping. Pre-pandemic there might have been one or two consultations a day, now it's much more. We're getting four, five or six phone calls about concerns over mental health.

Now - like it or not - these are the facts. Not from my mouth - but from well placed qualified medical professionals.

Moving on to what I have been saying for months regarding a comprehensive package for the Aviation industry in Ireland:

Dublin Airport hardest hit in Europe by Covid pandemic

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0 ... ost-covid/

He said the sector cannot recover on its own and the Government must have a clear long-term plan to support that recovery. Governments in other EU countries have responded with cash supports, such as Germany with Lufthanza, France with Air France and Italy with Alitalia, he said.

Is that enough for you - or what more factual evidence do you want? Yes I have been consistent.

BrianDromey wrote:
We risk going way off topic here, but while you say “life has to go on”, my response is this. I honestly don think you do have any comprehension of what a Herculean Ian task that really is. As for life going on, I feel you have yet to accept that life is unlikely to ever be like it was in 2019. Conference, business travel, festivals, arenas all seem to be from a different world for now, 1 year on and most business has found a way to avoid travelling or exposing their people to high risk situations. Not all, of course. Some of these business will die, some will have to accept the risks. Healthcare, infrastructure, essential retail, essential pubic transport, home deliveries to name a few.

Brian - your point is taken and nobody is denying the incredible work being done by healthcare workers who are literally savings hundreds of people per day in Ireland right now that might otherwise die of COVID-19 complications. I wouldn't for one minute claim to understand all that is involved in that crisis standard of care. But the points I make regarding minimal healthcare capacity in Ireland, disproportionately high infection rates in our hospitals etc. are not my own thoughts - they are factual and this needs to be addressed. It is in part the reason that Ireland is under such a prolonged and severe lockdown regime.

As for business travel - I fully appreciate the change. I've seen it first hand and the fact is that business travel will never again be the same - there is no doubt about it. But operating at levels where as an island nation we have less than 1,000 people transiting in or out per day in an open economy is simply not sustainable long term. Absenting a comprehensive plan from the Government, who as I say seem more focused on banning oil and gas exploration at a time of national crisis, will result in prolonged pain and suffering for many people that will in itself have serious downstream impacts on health.

EIBusiness

OA260

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:46 pm

People arriving into Northern Ireland required to sign passenger locator forms if travelling across the border

The Cabinet have been asked to sign off on a deal which will see passenger information shared on both sides of the border.

www.independent.ie/news/people-arriving ... 41456.html

Varadkar raises concerns at Cabinet over lack of progress on mandatory travel quarantine

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has raised serious concerns at Cabinet over the lack of progress on introducing mandatory quarantine for passengers arriving form overseas.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ ... 41835.html

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:18 pm

The government finds itself in an almost impossible situation. As much as I would love to be able to travel freely and as much as I would like to accept what is said by the industry, the reality is that people coming into the country bring Covid with them. We were told by the industry in the early days that the HEPA filters would take care of everything and that we just had to wear masks and observe their procedures and everything would be fine; it clearly hasn't worked.

I would like nothing more than to be able to fly to London or Zurich and take photos (or sheesh, even just out to Dublin Airport would be nice!). The government has a choice between focusing on the economics; it (and I'm sure it is, to some extent) or the people's health. We live in a democratic society where the state exists for the good of the people. With that in mind, the government is putting the people's health over and above everything else. NPHET is doing its job (too well, we may think!), but it has its brief and that doesn't involve economics or concern for the airline (or any other) industry. For now, the focus is on stifling external travel; I find that as annoying as anyone else on this forum, but the govt is doing it because it feels it has to, to bring the current situation under control. I think statements like "don't even think about going abroad for the rest of the year" are unhelpful, because it does undermine confidence in recovery. We know that the vast majority of death are in the 65+ age category and once this population has been vaccinated, the threat should be greatly reduced. I think that a stage will be reached when vaccination of the main "bulk" of the population is complete, when airlines and other companies will start making threatening noises. They won't do this now, because they recognise that there is a necessity for this crisis to be brought under control, but come July or August, I think you will see airlines pull out and I think you will probably see major "shock threats", e.g. "Aer Lingus owner IAG announces airline to suspend transatlantic (or all) services". You may even see the likes of Google, FB etc say that Irish operations are being scaled down because Irish govt is restricting access and we can't work like this.

I predict that the govt's hand will be forced in some way and they will be forced either to act, or to provide a firm, measurable timescale for a return to normality. I think that by Autumn, with the critical mass of vaccinations near completion, you will see strong arm tactics being used if there is not a clear direction shown.

ClassicLover

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:55 pm

kaitak wrote:
The government finds itself in an almost impossible situation. As much as I would love to be able to travel freely and as much as I would like to accept what is said by the industry, the reality is that people coming into the country bring Covid with them. We were told by the industry in the early days that the HEPA filters would take care of everything and that we just had to wear masks and observe their procedures and everything would be fine; it clearly hasn't worked.

To be fair, the industry is completely correct. Almost nobody has contracted the virus from flying, so the much vaunted HEPA filters have done the job. They obviously don't remove the virus from those who have it though! :)

Aviation procedures have worked at stopping transmission while travelling on flights, otherwise we'd be seeing news stories of "one person on X flight had Coronavirus, 67 others now infected and having to quarantine" - and there has been none of this.

That is why the industry is up in arms, because their argument is that the flying/carrying of people is not causing or increasing the incidence of the virus from the flights itself.

Clearly that does not prevent those who already have it from transmitting it once they land at their destination, which is where the problem apparently is. PCR testing within 3 days of travel, you would think, would knock that element on its head.

OA260

Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Court adds council to case over third runway at Dublin Airport

The operator of Dublin Airport, Daa, has secured permission to add Fingal County Council to proceedings it has brought against Traveller families living in the exclusion zone around the proposed new North runway.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/020 ... aa-runway/

CityJet would be ‘delighted’ to talk to Aer Lingus on regional contract

CityJet would be “delighted” to talk to Aer Lingus again about flying its regional service after failing in a bid last year to clinch a contract to run the operation from late 2022, according to its chief executive Pat Byrne.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 44474.html

bennett123

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:04 pm

I have never been clear why travellers want fixed long term sites.

Surely they are travellers?..

EIEIDW

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Vicenza

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:30 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

That is why the industry is up in arms, because their argument is that the flying/carrying of people is not causing or increasing the incidence of the virus from the flights itself.

But that 'argument', in and of itself, is completely invalid.....as indeed you stated in your following paragraph. In my opinion, the industry can be up in arms all it wants, but the fact remains that same industry is providing the major route into the country for Covid-19. Whether people actually become infected on flights is completely irrelevant and a complete red herring.

neutral

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Now there's a shock from the Irish Times re the Green party

Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman objected to DAA’s plans to lift planning restrictions on its new €320 million runway at Dublin Airport

Roderic O’Gorman says noise levels locals would be faced with is ‘unacceptable....

shamrock321

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:45 am

Vicenza wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

But that 'argument', in and of itself, is completely invalid.....as indeed you stated in your following paragraph. In my opinion, the industry can be up in arms all it wants, but the fact remains that same industry is providing the major route into the country for Covid-19. Whether people actually become infected on flights is completely irrelevant and a complete red herring.

I’m with you on this one, and I’m someone who has been through a horrendous redundancy once already and another consultation last year both with aviation companies. It’s not the time to be flying!

Lets sort the pandemic out first and then we can deal with travelling again! But I agree that Aer Lingus needs some assistance to get it through.

OA260

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:12 am

Ireland lockdown: Gardai could be given extra powers to stop Dublin Airport travellers flying abroad

Gardai currently will not turn people away from the airport or stop them from flying abroad

Gardai could be given stronger powers to stop sun chasers flying abroad if a €500 fine isn’t effective, Health Minister Stephen Donnnelly has said.

www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/ireland-l ... t-19765633

--

Shannon Group CEO Discusses Airport’s Recovery

There was a glimmer of hope for the region this week as news broke of a potential move by Amazon to place a key facility at Shannon Airport.

The US multinational is reportedly in talks with Shannon Group about the possibility of locating a distribution facility and other infrastructure at the Airport.

www.clare.fm/podcasts/shannon-group-ceo ... -recovery/

bennett123

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:20 am

It also says;

'However, there are still major concerns for the airport – with the Minister for Transport recently telling this show that it would be Shannon’s responsibility to orchestrate their recovery from the pandemic'.

Not very helpful.

Fliplot

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:10 pm

What would be wrong with SNN orchestrating it's own recovery? The State does not manage SNN so it would be quite normal business practice for SNN to plan it's recovery which could include talking to Amazon, talking to repair/maintenance companies, re-engaging with airlines old and new, cargo operators and even the US military.
Why imply the minister said some thing stupid?
I fail to understand the insane level of negativity - it really is not the end of the world or even aviation!

ChrisNH38

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:17 pm

Government officials are everywhere on the map with COVID. In the U.S. Biden said, quote, “I’m going to end this virus.” Then, “There’s nothing we can do.” Being an island nation, I’m sure Ireland is suffering greatly. But I will applaud Aer Lingus for operating to Boston almost daily for months now. Those new A321s were well-timed.

EIEIDW

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:19 pm

Ryanair appear to be pulling Derry - Edinburgh/Liverpool.

Allanc1987

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm

EIEIDW wrote:
Ryanair appear to be pulling Derry - Edinburgh/Liverpool.

Looks like Ryanair have pulled the Edinburgh and Liverpool from City of Derry

and London Stansted and Manchester from Belfast International

Though would loganair will be interested in taking over Edinburgh and Liverpool Routes from City of Derry ?

bennett123

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:00 pm

FR has never been big on internal flights.

Hopefully they will return post COVID.

JAmie2k9

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:00 pm

bennett123 wrote:
FR has never been big on internal flights.

Hopefully they will return post COVID.

Its related to the CAA and the 50% rule. They have taken other UK-Non-EU flights off sale mostly regional UK-Morocco and might only operate G registered out of STN base unless they resolve it.

bennett123

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 pm

So why could U2 operate internal flights.

Polot

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 pm

bennett123 wrote:
So why could U2 operate internal flights.

Easyjet is a British airline. They set up a EU subsidiary (Easyjet Europe) in 2017, based in Austria, for their internal EU flights.

Ryanair is an Irish airline, they have to set up a British subsidiary and get everything squared away to operate internal U.K. and U.K.-nonEU flights.

bennett123

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:49 am

Pre Brexit, both were EU airlines.

U2 had more UK internal routes than FR.

OA260

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:18 am

Belfast City Airport chief quitting role

Belfast City Airport chief executive Brian Ambrose is retiring from the post after 16 years.

The process of finding a successor to Mr Ambrose, who will leave over the summer, has already begun.

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 54565.html

TD accuses RTÉ of 'burning witches' with media coverage from Dublin Airport

https://amp.independent.ie/videos/td-ac ... 51821.html

Cork and Shannon Airport to receive €32.1m in 2021

Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Hildegarde Naughton TD, has announced the publication of a new Regional Airports Programme for 2021 to 2025 in addition to the provision of €32.1m for Cork and Shannon Airport this year.

www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40220666.html?type=amp

BrianDromey

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 am

bennett123 wrote:
It also says;

'However, there are still major concerns for the airport – with the Minister for Transport recently telling this show that it would be Shannon’s responsibility to orchestrate their recovery from the pandemic'.

Not very helpful.

How much more help does SNN require? Why should it get more help than NOC, for example? Over the years SNN has had had the law of the land written in its favour, multiple restructuring attempts, base and routes openings from CityJet, Ryanair, Aer Lingus, easyJet, Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arann too. None of it seems to work, other than established routes to NYC, BOS, LON and a few routes to the Iberian Peninsula & Islands. Clearly SNN has a role, but the reality is that it is located on the wrong side of the island for major passenger service. Cargo and logistics are a different matter, EMA and STN are well contacted to larger conurbations by road, as is SNN, so there is opportunity here, especially with the land bridge via the UK looking increasingly like a historical entity.

OA260

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Aer Lingus steward fails to win injunction over dismissal after airside pass not renewed due to garda vetting

Worker had been facing prosecution over small amount of drugs – but case was later dismissed​​​​​​​

An Aer Lingus air steward has failed to get a High Court injunction over his purported dismissal a year ago after his airside pass was not renewed following garda vetting.
The main case by Lorcan Delaney, Castlefarm, Swords, Co Dublin, challenging the legality of the dismissal and seeking reinstatement, has yet to be heard.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 56882.html

Bia onboard “Cafe” ;)

dstc47

Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 am

Air ambulance operator Reva have opened a base at SNN using a based Hawker 800XP.
Not too obvious that local demand there is going to be strong with no American tourists likely to need repatriation for some considerable time.

Fliplot

Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:32 am

What makes you think it is for local demand? Is it the new norm to treat every piece of good news with negativity, scorn or just plain cynicism?

OA260

Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:19 am

Talks on new Aer Lingus Regional deal could be concluded in weeks

Discussions between Aer Lingus and Emerald are continuing

Talks on a new Aer Lingus Regional deal could be concluded in several weeks, it emerged on Thursday.
Aer Lingus began exclusive negotiations with Emerald Airlines, controlled by businessman Conor McCarthy, last November after seeking bids to operate the franchise when its deal with Stobart Air ends in December next year.
It is understood that discussions between Aer Lingus and Emerald are continuing, with negotiations likely to continue for several weeks more before final agreement is reached.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4476373

--

Dublin Airport sunseeker's ridiculously fake employer letter which faked 'reasonable excuse' for Tenerife trip

So far 375 fines have been issued at Dublin Airport to people for leaving the country for non-essential travel

A sunseeker with a ridiculously fake employer letter that provided a 'reasonable excuse' for their Tenerife trip has been fined €500.

Gardai shared the letter on social media - the confiscated employer note claimed that the person in question was an essential worker.

www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dubl ... e-19781112

--

Dublin Airport border cops catch men attempting to enter Ireland using fake COVID-19 negative test certificates

The Rathkeale Rovers have been producing the false test results for people travelling throughout the Europe who need a negative result upon arrival into countries

Border officers are on alert after two men attempted to enter Dublin Airport using fake Covid-19 negative test certificates.

Members of the Border Management Unit became suspicious of the passports they were using when they attempted to enter Ireland.

www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dubl ... h-19779423

ClassicLover

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:56 pm

OA260 wrote:
Bia onboard “Cafe” ;)

HA!! :)

OA260 wrote:
Talks on new Aer Lingus Regional deal could be concluded in weeks

Discussions between Aer Lingus and Emerald are continuing

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.4476373

Since the article says Stobart expect to sell the airline by 28 February, and talks with Emerald are ongoing, my gut feeling is that Emerald will buy Stobart and boom we have Aer Lingus Regional. It's the most logical thing, from my perspective.

OA260 wrote:
Dublin Airport sunseeker's ridiculously fake employer letter which faked 'reasonable excuse' for Tenerife trip

So far 375 fines have been issued at Dublin Airport to people for leaving the country for non-essential travel

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-ne ... e-19781112

The letter is a good try, but yeah, fake as anything. I'm very curious as to how they're determining necessary travel. It's not like you have real hardcore proof if someone is ill in another country for example.

OA260 wrote:
Dublin Airport border cops catch men attempting to enter Ireland using fake COVID-19 negative test certificates

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-ne ... h-19779423

What's hilarious is that the article says forgers are selling fake certificates in the UK for £100. Surely it's simpler and cheaper just to get a test like you're supposed to. It's not like it's a difficult thing to get sorted. Mind boggling!

ei 168

Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uplo ... AAJNub.jpg

This will be awkward to an already decimated aviation industry in Dublin.

OA260

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 am

Aer Lingus secures €150m from State's Covid recovery fund

Three-year debt funding to support airline as pandemic devastates aviation

Aer Lingus has tapped the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund (Isif) pandemic recovery fund for €150m, the Sunday Independent has learned.
The three-year loan will be used to strengthen the airline's liquidity position as it struggles with the devastating impact of Covid-19 on international travel.

www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavir ... 55749.html