Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

New JetBlue Mint Studio suite

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:09 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-loo ... int-suite/

Looks very nice! What I think is more interesting is the 2 Mint studio suites that will now be on each Mint aircraft.

Additionally, London flights will launch this summer.
Last edited by Nicknuzzii on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tphuang

Re: New JetBlue Mint Studio suite

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:19 pm

The mint studio looks really good. I'd imagine they can get a premium on that. It's almost like a 2 seat international F vs rest of the mint cabin.

I'm a little surprised they didn't end up with a large mint cabin than 16 for the domestic version. I think JFK/EWR-LAX can support 20 to 24 J config.

Opus99

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm

If this is what Jet blue wants to use for transatlantic, BA etc have a big problem

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm

I'm waiting for the same people who argued that doors were a worthless gimmick on Delta One Suites argue that doors are important innovation here.

airbazar

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-look-new-jetblue-mint-suite/

Looks very nice! What I think is more interesting is the 2 Mint studio suites that will now be on each Mint aircraft.

I was never a fan of the walled-up, or herring bone seats and this one is no different.As for the routes, putting it on tcon routes makes perfect sense as those are heavy on business travel but on the leisure routes to the Caribbean, I'm not too sure about. If I'm going on vacation with my wife I want to sit next to her, not have a wall between us. So for me personally, this new product will keep me away from flying B6.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:25 pm

tphuang wrote:
The mint studio looks really good. I'd imagine they can get a premium on that. It's almost like a 2 seat international F vs rest of the mint cabin.

I'm a little surprised they didn't end up with a large mint cabin than 16 for the domestic version. I think JFK/EWR-LAX can support 20 to 24 J config.

I agree. The LR version will have 24 seats though!

Mods can we change the title to include “+ launch London this Summer” please?

tphuang

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:27 pm

airbazar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

I was never a fan of the walled-up, or herring bone seats and this one is no different.As for the routes, putting it on tcon routes makes perfect sense as those are heavy on business travel but on the leisure routes to the Caribbean, I'm not too sure about. If I'm going on vacation with my wife I want to sit next to her, not have a wall between us. So for me personally, this new product will keep me away from flying B6.

They are going to have a very limited number of mint 2.0 domestically configured aircraft (probably only 3 for the next 2 years). I'd be surprised if you see them outside of JFK/EWR-LAX

maverick4002

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Is the TV not aligned with the seat?? I assume it can come out of the wall and be aligned at the proper angle?

maverick4002

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:31 pm

airbazar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Didnt they say its only 2 studios on a plane? So the other Mint seats will be available for you to book if you were travelling with the wife?

maverick4002

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Also, and this obviously isnt a slight against the product, just more a commentary on how advertising paints a different picture....the mock up looks so much less appealing than the pictures lol

ajsljet45

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Looks very impressive! Love the studios!

https://youtu.be/lEUU5TMzYZ0

Polot

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Didnt they say its only 2 studios on a plane? So the other Mint seats will be available for you to book if you were travelling with the wife?

The other seats (the Mint Suites) are still single seats in a 1-1 layout. With this configuration B6 has no 2-2 seats like on every other row in the current product.

JoseSalazar

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:46 pm

My biggest gripe about mint is the vinyl they use for their seats. It doesn’t breathe at all. I was really hoping they’d use a better (cloth) material for at least their lie flats for their LD/LR/XLR. Oh well.

And as of now all the TATL flights will be augmented, and I’ve heard one of the studio suites will be designated as the crew rest facility.

zrs70

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Sigh, are the seats facing away from the windows?
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

chrisa330

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm

zrs70 wrote:

They do, it may be just good camera work, but from the promotional material, it looks like seat is closer to the window when upright, compared to the original herringbone seats (ie; NZ, AC, VS) so you may not have to twist as much to get a view.

blooc350

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:16 pm

This is like some Singapore Airines/Etihad level stuff right here. United and American are in trouble.

CALMSP

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 pm

blooc350 wrote:
This is like some Singapore Airines/Etihad level stuff right here. United and American are in trouble.

this beats UA for sure. (Haven't been on AA's)

chonetsao

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Isn't this basically the Air New Zealand business class with a door?

Personally I prefer the Super Diamond seats which face the window.

speedbird2263

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:46 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
My biggest gripe about mint is the vinyl they use for their seats. It doesn’t breathe at all. I was really hoping they’d use a better (cloth) material for at least their lie flats for their LD/LR/XLR. Oh well.

And as of now all the TATL flights will be augmented, and I’ve heard one of the studio suites will be designated as the crew rest facility.

I’d imagine one of the regular mint seats and one closer to the last row would suffice for B6 and the Pilot’s CBA. B6 can charge a moderate premium for that Studio so I’d imagine they’d be keen to have it available to generate revenue. IMO.
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

jetwet1

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:19 pm

airbazar wrote:

As someone who has flown 6 legs and 16 hours with my wife next to me in domestic first, I will take a wall please. But yes, that is a point, but honestly, the first time I took my wife on a VS flight in upper she complained about not sitting next to me for maybe 5 minutes, then she discovered the IFE, other than an occasional message she was happy to not be annoying me.

With only a handful of aircraft fitted with this suite the AA/UA/DL's of the world won't be to worried, but if B6 rolls this out across all Mint aircraft things will get interesting.

346fetish

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Anyone know the total LOPA breakdown for these new 321LRs?
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

RvA

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Opus99 wrote:
If this is what Jet blue wants to use for transatlantic, BA etc have a big problem

Why? With their network and new product I don’t see why they’d have a big problem. Keep an eye on JetBlue? For sure. But a big problem is a bit much.

Opus99

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:40 pm

RvA wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

Why? With their network and new product I don’t see why they’d have a big problem. Keep an eye on JetBlue? For sure. But a big problem is a bit much.

Well, it depends on Jet blue penetration on second thought. they are struggling to get hold of heathrow slots. if they do not have enough frequency out of heathrow then i guess BA will be fine. BA will be fine regardless, but i think they will give them a run for their money.

DeltaRules

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:43 pm

The Mint Studio is about the size of a NYC studio apartment- perfect for NYC's hometown airline! ;)

...kidding aside, those look great, with the only downside being pointed away from the windows.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

trueblew

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:52 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
The Mint Studio is about the size of a NYC studio apartment- perfect for NYC's hometown airline! ;)

...kidding aside, those look great, with the only downside being pointed away from the windows.

To be fair, the window shades should be shut for the majority of the flight (although there's always *that* guy in the premium cabin who keeps the shade open and causes glare on the IFE or distracting light in the corner of your eye). They seem to have a fine angle for outside viewing during the upright-seated portion of the journey, such as taxi, takeoff and landing.

orlandocfi

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm

speedbird2263 wrote:

I’d imagine one of the regular mint seats and one closer to the last row would suffice for B6 and the Pilot’s CBA. B6 can charge a moderate premium for that Studio so I’d imagine they’d be keen to have it available to generate revenue. IMO.

Considering they were an all-economy airline until recently, I would be curious what language exists in their contract for relief pilot rest facilities, whether in the original contract or subsequent amendments...

airzona11

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Looks great and the Airspace cabin adds awesome ambiance. At the end of the day, I think this will be the standard narrowbody layout moving forward (once AA UA DL, others move next gen J on narrow body planes). That being said, the X factor will continue to be pricing. Can they be aggressive price leaders? The good news for everyone is the market is huge and this is a small number of seats to the market (international).

Domestically, post-Covid is a new day.

Now if only they would had it to a few PHX flights...

MavyWavyATR

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm

I think B6 could be on to something with this new Mint configuration; especially if they decide to make certain aircraft all premium like B0. The A220 could also be a candidate for the new Mint product down the road if they decide to send a couple across the pond.

catiii

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:03 pm

Opus99 wrote:
RvA wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

Well, it depends on Jet blue penetration on second thought. they are struggling to get hold of heathrow slots. if they do not have enough frequency out of heathrow then i guess BA will be fine. BA will be fine regardless, but i think they will give them a run for their money.

If I were BA and VS, knowing B6 was expanding into London with its lower cost structure, lower fares, and better hard and soft premium product (and we haven't even seen the Core offering yet) I'd be using the CMA in the UK to keep them out of LHR too.

catiii

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:04 pm

trueblew wrote:
To be fair, the window shades should be shut for the majority of the flight

Why?

Opus99

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:09 pm

catiii wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
RvA wrote:

If I were BA and VS, knowing B6 was expanding into London with its lower cost structure, lower fares, and better hard and soft premium product (and we haven't even seen the Core offering yet) I'd be using the CMA in the UK to keep them out of LHR too.

:checkmark:

hooverman

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Looks good.
Besides London what other routes will they fly to Europe?

BlueBaller

orlandocfi wrote:
speedbird2263 wrote:

Considering they were an all-economy airline until recently, I would be curious what language exists in their contract for relief pilot rest facilities, whether in the original contract or subsequent amendments...

The contract was ratified less than 3 years ago. There's an entire section with 12 subparts addressing Augmented Crews in the CBA. As the press releases indicate, this product upgrade has been in the works for 5 years, and TATL for probably just as long, even though it was only formally announced back in 2019.

Seat1D

It's nice but its a narrow body. Not for me. I'm strictly flying widebodies long haul. This layout is not for two or more people, not family friendly. B6 needs widebodies.

Also on the longest flights B6 plans on operating that will require crew rest , where will the crew rest be? Narrow bodies are nice but still have lots of limitations.

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:19 pm

catiii wrote:
trueblew wrote:
To be fair, the window shades should be shut for the majority of the flight

Why?

Do you have a few hours to talk about our lord and savior 'The right to control your window shade'?
@DadCelo

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 pm

Seat1D wrote:
It's nice but its a narrow body. Not for me. I'm strictly flying widebodies long haul. This layout is not for two or more people, not family friendly. B6 needs widebodies.

Also on the longest flights B6 plans on operating that will require crew rest , where will the crew rest be? Narrow bodies are nice but still have lots of limitations.

Most family friendly premium cabins are a business unfriendly premium cabins.
@DadCelo

tphuang

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 pm

hooverman wrote:
Looks good.

It's just going to be London for the next 2 years. After that, they have another 7 LRs and 13 XLRs on order. We will see. LR can probably get them to DUB/AMS/CDG also. Those are likely going to be their initial forays. After that, they could try a lot of things. They can try stuff in British isles like MAN/BHX/BFS/EDI/GLA. They can try thin leisure stuff like NCE/PDL/LPA/AGP. BER still lacks NYC service. Or they could actively compete against incumbents.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:38 pm

tphuang wrote:
hooverman wrote:
Looks good.

It's just going to be London for the next 2 years. After that, they have another 7 LRs and 13 XLRs on order. We will see. LR can probably get them to DUB/AMS/CDG also. Those are likely going to be their initial forays. After that, they could try a lot of things. They can try stuff in British isles like MAN/BHX/BFS/EDI/GLA. They can try thin leisure stuff like NCE/PDL/LPA/AGP. BER still lacks NYC service. Or they could actively compete against incumbents.

I would love for them to try some European stuff from EWR. EWR-LON/BCN/FCO would be sufficient.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
I'm waiting for the same people who argued that doors were a worthless gimmick on Delta One Suites argue that doors are important innovation here.

Same people who claim that PTVs don't matter. Customers care about these things. These people want to tell customer what they care about , rather then look at what they actually care about

SWADawg

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:40 pm

As someone who works for the competition, I must say that product is incredible. I would definitely fly on it vs the Big 3 Transcon any day of the week. Congratulations, you all should be very proud of your inflight product. Well done.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 pm

tphuang wrote:
hooverman wrote:
Looks good.

I'd love for them to try FLL/MIA-GRU/EZE with the XLR.
@DadCelo

Antarius

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Dunno if I made that argument for DL, but I have with regards to the Q suite. Still feel they're gimmicky in anything short of an EY Residence or SQ/EK F.

"Suites" on airplanes are like this

That said, the cabin looks nice. Well done B6.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

sjones1975

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:55 pm

chrisa330 wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

They do, it may be just good camera work, but from the promotional material, it looks like seat is closer to the window when upright, compared to the original herringbone seats (ie; NZ, AC, VS) so you may not have to twist as much to get a view.

The amount that you'll need to twist also depends on which seat you have. Pause the video at the 0:15 mark and you can see that seats 2A and 3A have rather different angles to the window. Of course, this is normal across all airlines/aircraft where the windows align differently with the seats, depending on the row. However, when you're in a herringbone situation as here, it's already hard enough to look out the windows, so the way your window is aligned really makes a difference on how much neck strain you'll get.

It looks to me that 2A is a lot easier to look out than 3A. As for 4A, the window right next to the seat rest would be even more difficult to look out of. I can't tell if the next window forward would be usable for 4A, or whether it's too far forward and/or blocked by the seatback of 3A.

Like many aviation enthusiasts, I love looking out the window. I've never flown a herringbone J-class, but every time I see pictures of such cabins, no matter how comfortable it otherwise looks, I always think that it would kill me to have a nice seat like that while not being able to really see anything outside.
my longest flight in a 757: FRU-ADA-SNN-BWI

DocLightning

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm

That looks really nice.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WorldFlier

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Polot wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

The other seats (the Mint Suites) are still single seats in a 1-1 layout. With this configuration B6 has no 2-2 seats like on every other row in the current product.

I would almost prefer it if they could have fit one row of 2-2 in the end of the cabin.

Maybe it doesn't matter for most people, but I absolutely hate Polaris on the United 767 and most 777 Polaris seats because you can't actually actually sit next to your travel partner.

phllax

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 pm

It looks like they're the first airline to take advantage of the ACF and removal of 2L/2R.

ASFlyer

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Seat1D wrote:

B6 currently has longer domestic duty days than these trans-atlantic flights will be. They wouldn't require crew rest seats or augmented crew. If their union negotiates something eventually that could change things.

nc3rd

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:19 pm

There are FAA mandates as to what constitutes a suitable rest seat (and coach and extra leg room dont suffice), and from what Im seeing here, one of these seats will be blocked off as a designated rest seat for the relief pilot.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

FL470

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:22 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
Seat1D wrote:

B6 currently has longer domestic duty days than these trans-atlantic flights will be. They wouldn't require crew rest seats or augmented crew. If their union negotiates something eventually that could change things.

It'll be augmented.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Ive just never understood this singles only configuration. Do the airlines think it's a Trekkie convention? I want to sit with with my wife. Not pack her off somewhere out of sight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos