Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DouglasDC10
Topic Author

Hamburg Airport 707 to be scrapped

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Hamburg Airport's museum aircraft, a Boeing 707, is going to become a victim of the current Covid-19 crisis. As the airport is looking to reduce costs, the maintenance of this historic aircraft will no longer be provided. Attempts to hand it over as a whole to a new owner failed. The aircraft will be auctioneered in parts and dismantled later this year. D-ABOD (which also wore the fake registrations D-ABOB and D-AFHG) was the last surviving of Lufthansa's original jet fleet of five 707-430s.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/flughafen-hamburg-verschrottet-seine-boeing-707

It is the second 707 Germany is going to lose this year. A former El Al 707-400 was preserved in Lufthansa colours at Berlin-Tegel, but in contrast to the Hamburg one, this one has not received too much love or maintenance. It fell into decay over the years and after the closure of Tegel, it is likely to be dismantled later this year as well.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/ex-el-al-lufthansa-kleid-die-vergessene-und-verstossene-boeing-707-von-tegel

Both links in German only - sorry...

klm617

Re: Hamburg Airport 707 to be scrapped

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:33 pm

DouglasDC10 wrote:
Hamburg Airport's museum aircraft, a Boeing 707, is going to become a victim of the current Covid-19 crisis. As the airport is looking to reduce costs, the maintenance of this historic aircraft will no longer be provided. Attempts to hand it over as a whole to a new owner failed. The aircraft will be auctioneered in parts and dismantled later this year. D-ABOD (which also wore the fake registrations D-ABOB and D-AFHG) was the last surviving of Lufthansa's original jet fleet of five 707-430s.

It is the second 707 Germany is going to lose this year. A former El Al 707-400 was preserved in Lufthansa colours at Berlin-Tegel, but in contrast to the Hamburg one, this one has not received too much love or maintenance. It fell into decay over the years and after the closure of Tegel, it is likely to be dismantled later this year as well.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/ex-el-al-lufthansa-kleid-die-vergessene-und-verstossene-boeing-707-von-tegel

It's a shame the people in Sinsheim do want this aircraft.

mxaxai

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm

klm617 wrote:

How much would it cost to disassemble the aircraft and transport it to Sinsheim?

LHA320

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm

klm617 wrote:
DouglasDC10 wrote:

628 kilometers of wide load transportation while using the A7 (Highway 7 for everyone who's not familiar with the German Autobahn) which is the biggest construction site in the German traffic system. Good luck. Also, with the current pandemic, I doubt that they have the financial resources to do it.

GZM1

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:24 pm

DouglasDC10 wrote:
Hamburg Airport's museum aircraft, a Boeing 707, is going to become a victim of the current Covid-19 crisis. As the airport is looking to reduce costs, the maintenance of this historic aircraft will no longer be provided.
A former El Al 707-400 was preserved in Lufthansa colours at Berlin-Tegel, but in contrast to the Hamburg one, this one has not received too much love or maintenance. It fell into decay over the years and after the closure of Tegel, it is likely to be dismantled later this year as well.

It seems that the expression “volunteer work” is missing from the German vocabulary. One wonders....
The bad news is that those Olympic planes at Hellenikon are also in danger. The Greek state wants them to be removed under threat of an auction..... Deadline set for February 5th.

AWACSooner

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:58 pm

In the words of German Darth Vader: "Neiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

They couldn't put it down at the museum in Sinsheim?

ECFlyer

Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:37 pm

Wow...and it has Conways no less. Very different look from the Pratt turbofans most of the survivors are wearing.

zeke

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 pm

The reality is it would probably be cheaper for any museum in a Germany wanting a 797 to grab one ones still flying for next to nothing and fly it to its destination. The cost to dismantle, transport, and reassemble these aircraft would be very expensive, and then you still have an aircraft that is far from being airworthy, it would take a lot of work just to make it presentable as a static display.

DouglasDC10
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:09 pm

GZM1 wrote:
DouglasDC10 wrote:
Hamburg Airport's museum aircraft, a Boeing 707, is going to become a victim of the current Covid-19 crisis. As the airport is looking to reduce costs, the maintenance of this historic aircraft will no longer be provided.
A former El Al 707-400 was preserved in Lufthansa colours at Berlin-Tegel, but in contrast to the Hamburg one, this one has not received too much love or maintenance. It fell into decay over the years and after the closure of Tegel, it is likely to be dismantled later this year as well.

It seems that the expression “volunteer work” is missing from the German vocabulary. One wonders....
The bad news is that those Olympic planes at Hellenikon are also in danger. The Greek state wants them to be removed under threat of an auction..... Deadline set for February 5th.

The Hamburg one was actually maintained by a group of Hamburg Airport employees/former employees/friends, but Hamburg Airport is not going to fund them any more. I don't know of the existence of any volunteer grup for the Tegel one.

ECFlyer wrote:
Wow...and it has Conways no less. Very different look from the Pratt turbofans most of the survivors are wearing.

They are both. And there aren't really that many of those still preserved in a complete state.

mxaxai

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm

ECFlyer wrote:

Yeah, there were only 37 of these built. This, and the one in Berlin, are the only two 707-400 that remain intact. I don't know if they still include the original engines, though, or only the nacelle.

A couple -400 are preserved in museums worldwide but only their cockpit or forward fuselage is on exhibit so there's little visible difference to any other 707 on display.

B707MT

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm

Until Speyer Technik Museum says publicly and definitely 'nein, danke' then hopefully that option remains alive!

Could there also be the possibility of Bremen ('just around the corner' in relative terms to the 470km to Sinsheim) as storage? As Simple Flying reported in September 2019: "Lufthansa is to store two of its vintage airliners in Bremen. The aircraft will be stored in a warehouse until their final fate is decided" - https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-vintage-airliner-storage/

I remember a flight over the lower Elbe in "Tante Ju" D-AQUI in the early 2000s, and the Starliner was transported to Bremen from the USA in 2019 after its advanced restoration was stopped. What a trifecta of an exhibition that would be to have three of LH's most important aircraft - Ju-52, L-1649 and 707-430 - displayed together!

oldJoe

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 pm

zeke wrote:
The reality is it would probably be cheaper for any museum in a Germany wanting a 797 to grab one ones still flying for next to nothing and fly it to its destination. The cost to dismantle, transport, and reassemble these aircraft would be very expensive, and then you still have an aircraft that is far from being airworthy, it would take a lot of work just to make it presentable as a static display.

I totally aggree with you that this costs are to high. But there are also other creative ways to make something out of a discarded aircraft, for example :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3683244/Now-s-class-shed-Aviation-fan-turns-old-Airbus-passenger-jet-25-000-luxury-pods-garden.html

klm617

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 pm

LHA320 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
DouglasDC10 wrote:

628 kilometers of wide load transportation while using the A7 (Highway 7 for everyone who's not familiar with the German Autobahn) which is the biggest construction site in the German traffic system. Good luck. Also, with the current pandemic, I doubt that they have the financial resources to do it.

Couldn't they move it by train ?

mxaxai

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 am

klm617 wrote:
Couldn't they move it by train ?

Size constraints for train cargo are usually much stricter than for road vehicles. Outsized loads like wind turbine blades are transported on German highways regularly, I think a 707 in parts (fuselage + wings + stabilizers) would be fairly easy to move. It's just a matter of costs.

Alternatively, a barge might also be an option depending on the destination. Again, you'd have to check which method is cheaper.

Italianflyer

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 am

I'm getting sick of 'due to COVID' being code for "we just don't care anymore'.

ikolkyo

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:42 am

Criminal

oldJoe

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:01 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Criminal

Yoe could make an offer for the bird and stop the crime ! If you are unable to do so I would still consider you as not criminal.

AWACSooner

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:10 am

Italianflyer wrote:

This...all of this.

masonite

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:12 am

Italianflyer wrote:

I completely agree.

SEPilot

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:20 am

Let’s face reality. Historic preservation is a luxury. COVID has hurt the airline industry probably harder than just about any other, and airlines, airports and all related and dependent businesses are struggling for survival. There just is no money for non flyable aircraft, no matter how historic.

klm617

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:28 am

I think just leave it as it is. What cost is there for just leaving it static until something can be done with it. At my airport they did the same thing with a Argosy they just scrapped such a rare aircraft that was intact without giving it a second thought. I think they want the funds for the scrap value..

zkojq

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:47 am

klm617 wrote:
I think just leave it as it is. What cost is there for just leaving it static until something can be done with it. At my airport they did the same thing with a Argosy they just scrapped such a rare aircraft that was intact without giving it a second thought. I think they want the funds for the scrap value..

I agree. Maybe shrink wrap it first to protect it from the moisture. That should give a few years to find a fitting place to display it locally or to fund-raise an effort to move it to a museum further away.

mxaxai

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33 am

You will be able to buy (some) parts:
Aviation fans will also be able to bid on individual items; the Hamburg auction house Dechow has been commissioned, and the auction is scheduled to start in spring 2021. According to the announcement, particularly interesting individual parts of the aircraft such as elements from the cockpit, but also selected lighting elements or parts of the flaps on the wings could be auctioned off.

https://www.aerosieger.de/news/14237/au ... port.html/ [German]

Apparently, the plans started in summer last year, if not earlier. The aircraft was inspected by German cultural authorities but was considered to have too few original parts remaining to be subject to a preservation order (and the governmental support that comes with it).
https://theworldnews.net/de-news/nach-6 ... schlachtet [German]

HAM bought the aircraft from LH Technik in 1999 for 1 €. I don't think they could expect any more than that if they sold it to a museum.

oldJoe wrote:
I totally aggree with you that this costs are to high. But there are also other creative ways to make something out of a discarded aircraft, for example :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3683244/Now-s-class-shed-Aviation-fan-turns-old-Airbus-passenger-jet-25-000-luxury-pods-garden.html

This 707 is within the security perimeter of the airport, so you'd have to move it before making public access possible.

wirkey

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 pm

LHA320 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
DouglasDC10 wrote:

no way they would transport that on the road. A more realistic option would be by ship to Speyer and from there on the A6 to Sinsheim. I was there when they moved the Concorde.

N965UW

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:15 pm

zeke wrote:
The reality is it would probably be cheaper for any museum in a Germany wanting a 797 to grab one ones still flying for next to nothing and fly it to its destination.

They must have special powers to acquire an aircraft that hasn't been built yet. Sorry I had to :lol:

Jokes aside, hopefully the parts will fall into the hands of enthusiasts and museums. It would be a double shame if the whole thing were sent to be melted down. (Apologies if the OP's links answered this, my German isn't good)

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm

This kind of short-sighted thinking really angers me. Money is tight this year. But it’s going to recover. Just because budgets are down now, they are going to scrap the airplane, which can never be brought back.

cpd

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:29 pm

oldJoe wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Criminal

Yoe could make an offer for the bird and stop the crime ! If you are unable to do so I would still consider you as not criminal.

Both of you could make an offer.

Seriously, what are the transport costs likely to be, how much is needed?

If we can find out that, perhaps we could get the required Euros together with a fundraising effort and if the Sinsheim museum wants that plane they could get it.

I’d put down a sizeable amount to help save a 707.

klm617

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:49 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
This kind of short-sighted thinking really angers me. Money is tight this year. But it’s going to recover. Just because budgets are down now, they are going to scrap the airplane, which can never be brought back.

Exactly some bean counter came up with the idea to sell the plane for scrap and use the much needed funds to rescue this plane. What's the up keep the airport owns the property the plane sits on so there are no costs there. Maybe insurance cost associated with owning the plane. How many airports have fire trainers around that they justify the cost of keeping it intact. This is a money grab by the airport.

Lukallo

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 am

cpd wrote:
oldJoe wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Criminal

If we can find out that, perhaps we could get the required Euros together with a fundraising effort and if the Sinsheim museum wants that plane they could get it.

I sent an email to hamburg airport about buying the plane, If it’s possible to buy it I’m going to start a gofundme or kickstarter and maybe make some type of museum with it

airsmiles

Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:28 pm

If Hamburg Airport don’t want to pay maintenance costs on it, why don’t they let enthusiasts raise some money to maintain it where it is? That’s a lot less than paying to move it elsewhere. Am I missing something?

Polot

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:04 pm

airsmiles wrote:
If Hamburg Airport don’t want to pay maintenance costs on it, why don’t they let enthusiasts raise some money to maintain it where it is? That’s a lot less than paying to move it elsewhere. Am I missing something?

Paying money to move it is a one time expense that wipes their hands clean of the aircraft. Maintaining it is an on going expense.

A 707 doesn’t have enough cache with the general public that enthusiasts would forever be able to raise enough money to keep it maintained. It would be better for enthusiasts to raise money to move it to a location where the owner is willing to maintain it rather than raise money to maintain it in place.

Ronaldo747

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:35 pm

TBH, this particular 707 does not look very good (not as bad as the 707 at Berlin-TXL though) and she need a lot of work. She was long long time outside in a wet and windy area (Hamburg weather is quite rough) and the salty North Sea nearby.

VirginFlyer

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Ronaldo747 wrote:
TBH, this particular 707 does not look very good (not as bad as the 707 at Berlin-TXL though) and she need a lot of work. She was long long time outside in a wet and windy area (Hamburg weather is quite rough) and the salty North Sea nearby.

Here’s the most recent photos of both in the database, which show what you are saying:

Here is the HAM aircraft looking somewhat more resplendent when it was repainted in 2010:

Here is the TXL aircraft back in its heyday in the late 1980s, wearing the original Lufthansa colours despite having been an El Al aircraft:

Still, it could be worse:

V/F

Ronaldo747

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:43 pm

Thank you VirginFlyer. D-ABOB should have been taken into a hangar or at least under the roof just after repaint in 2010. That would have safe her.

And I'm skeptical about outside exhibition at Sinsheim as well. The Lufthansa 747-200 there for example looks also not good anymore. Those babies needs indoor home or at least a roof over them just like the first 747-100 in Seattle.

mxaxai

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Ronaldo747 wrote:
Thank you VirginFlyer. D-ABOB should have been taken into a hangar or at least under the roof just after repaint in 2010. That would have safe her.

And I'm skeptical about outside exhibition at Sinsheim as well. The Lufthansa 747-200 there for example looks also not good anymore. Those babies needs indoor home or at least a roof over them just like the first 747-100 in Seattle.

That 747 is in Speyer, but I believe it and the Museum in Sinsheim are partners. They're only 50 km apart.

Sinsheim has the two supersonic jets as its main attraction:

I was under the impression that both museums take good care of their exhibits, although I agree that they'd be better protected under a roof.

Ronaldo747

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Yes of course, Speyer .. I stand corrected. Thank you.

DouglasDC10
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:16 am

mxaxai wrote:
Ronaldo747 wrote:

That 747 is in Speyer, but I believe it and the Museum in Sinsheim are partners. They're only 50 km apart.

Sinsheim has the two supersonic jets as its main attraction:

I was under the impression that both museums take good care of their exhibits, although I agree that they'd be better protected under a roof.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of the way Sinsheim and Speyer have their aircraft exhibited. Yes, they look spectacular on poles. But preservation and even basic cleaning is quite difficult under such conditions. When I went to Speyer last time, the 747 looked OK while the DC-3 and the Mercure were covered in bird crap. In my opinion, places like Duxford or Aviodrome take better care of their aircraft. Unfortunately though, Hangar space is expensive but in the long term the better choice for preservation.

oldJoe

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:43 am

mxaxai wrote :

That 747 is in Speyer, but I believe it and the Museum in Sinsheim are partners. They're only 50 km apart

Both museums were founded by Eberhard Layher and owned by the family, which is better known for Layher scaffolding

FGITD

Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 am

I always thought a pre requisite by AF and BA should've been that they were to be stored inside. No indoor, no concorde.

Sooner or later that conversation will have to be held regarding the outdoor concordes. No matter how popular they are or maintained. Aircraft simply aren't meant to be stored outside for years on end.

TheWorm123

Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 am

FGITD wrote:
I always thought a pre requisite by AF and BA should've been that they were to be stored inside. No indoor, no concorde.

Sooner or later that conversation will have to be held regarding the outdoor concordes. No matter how popular they are or maintained. Aircraft simply aren't meant to be stored outside for years on end.

The Concorde at Manchester was stored for quite a while outside before they built the hangar for it nearly a decade ago.

bennett123

Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:31 am

So was the one at Filton.

Is the one in NY still in the open?.

klm617

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Lukallo wrote:
cpd wrote:
oldJoe wrote:

I sent an email to hamburg airport about buying the plane, If it’s possible to buy it I’m going to start a gofundme or kickstarter and maybe make some type of museum with it

If they really care about the aircraft they should donate to anyone who has the capability to move it under the conditions that it must be on display for a certain amount of time.

OlafW

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:43 am

Apparently some people grouped up to save the 707: https://www.aero.de/news-38620/Gibt-es- ... s-707.html
(German only)

Seems they found out that handing the plane over to a museum wasn't really endorsed by Hamburg Airport yet and now want to collect money to save it for now and eventually make a handover possible

bennett123

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Why did the airport have a problem handing the plane to a museum?.

Polot

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:38 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Why did the airport have a problem handing the plane to a museum?.

If there was a museum that wanted it they probably would have handed it over.

This group of enthusiasts are going to quickly learn that finding a nearby museum that wants a 707 is easier said then done. Just because a museum already has planes doesn’t mean they have the space or funds to take on another. A 707 is not a small exhibit.

PBerry

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:01 pm

It does say in the article that the airport has tried reaching out to museums (including Speyer & Sinsheim) to see if they were interested, but were declined. As much as I hope for this historic bird to end up in good hands, if the major players (with the biggest budgets) aren't interested, I doubt the average Joe could raise enough money (the article mentions six-digit sums) to get her out of HAM, let alone find a place to store and maintain her in the long run.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

lesfalls

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 pm

PBerry wrote:
It does say in the article that the airport has tried reaching out to museums (including Speyer & Sinsheim) to see if they were interested, but were declined. As much as I hope for this historic bird to end up in good hands, if the major players (with the biggest budgets) aren't interested, I doubt the average Joe could raise enough money (the article mentions six-digit sums) to get her out of HAM, let alone find a place to store and maintain her in the long run.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

You mean the average joe= flywithcaptainjoe ;)

I’m sure he would be willing to pay for it..........

mga707

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 am

bennett123 wrote:
So was the one at Filton.

Is the one in NY still in the open?.

Assume you mean the Concorde on the USS Intrepid (museum), at the Manhattan docks. If so, yes.

mxaxai

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:43 pm

If you can transport a Lockheed 1649 Starliner fuselage across German roads this easily and covert then, presumably, the 707 should not be a major challenge or financial burden either. The most work would likely be required to restore the aircraft to a condition that's worthy of an exhibition.

Almost three years ago, Lufthansa announced the discontinuation of its Super Star project. The largely restored aircraft was brought from the U.S. to Germany shortly thereafter and had since been stored in a hangar in Bremen.

Tonight, the historic aircraft was transported away from Bremen. The destination of the heavy transport is Paderborn Airport. The transport was seen pausing at a highway rest area about 12 kilometers from Paderborn.

A Lufthansa spokesman confirmed the aircraft's relocation to Paderborn in response to an inquiry from Austrian Wings: "The transport started on Monday evening shortly before midnight. The Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung wants to house the Super Star in an aircraft hangar instead of a port hangar to ensure the aircraft retains its value."

https://www.austrianwings.info/2021/02/ ... paderborn/ [German]
LH's grounded Ju-52 is in Paderborn too, but it is not yet clear whether the current caretaker of the Ju-52 will also become responsible for the L1649.

n729pa

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:54 pm

By coincidence. .. a similar story in the news today
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-56222067

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos