Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steman
Topic Author

Aerolineas Argentinas SVO-EZE

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:31 am

After weeks of grey skies we´re finally having a sunny day in Berlin.
And as I was looking up at that blue sky (trust me, it´s not a common sight in Berlin in winter) I noticed a plane flying high.
Of course I immediately checked on FR24 and I was very suprised to find out that it´s an Aerolineas Argentinas A330-200 flying from Moscow SVO
to Buenos Aires. According to FR24 that´s a 16:30 flying time. This must be the longest or one of the longest ever A330 flights.
I am sure that AR does not have a scheduled flight to SVO so I wonder what is this? A Charter? A repositioning flight?

Flight number is AR1065

Thank you
S

Armadillo1

Re: Aerolineas Argentinas SVO-EZE

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 am

vaccine transporting?

steman
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:49 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
vaccine transporting?

Oh, that´s a great guess.
I think you might be right.
We´re seeing very unusual things these days

dcajet

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:02 am

steman wrote:
And as I was looking up at that blue sky (trust me, it´s not a common sight in Berlin in winter) I noticed a plane flying high.
Of course I immediately checked on FR24 and I was very suprised to find out that it´s an Aerolineas Argentinas A330-200 flying from Moscow SVO
to Buenos Aires. According to FR24 that´s a 16:30 flying time. This must be the longest or one of the longest ever A330 flights.
I am sure that AR does not have a scheduled flight to SVO so I wonder what is this? A Charter? A repositioning flight?

Flight number is AR1065

Thank you
S

Special flight carrying around 400,000 doses of the Sputnik V vaccine. It's the 4th of such flights, all nonstop EZE-SVO-EZE, on the 242MTOW A330-200s. Eastbound the trip takes between 15-16 hrs flying time and westbound is a bit longer, around 17-18hs. The flight crew is composed of 4 captains, 6 first officers. There are also a number of mechanics, dispatchers and cabin crew on board. The same crew does both legs of the flight, with a total round trip time including ground time in Moscow of around 40-44 hours. Today's flight was delayed in SVO due to bad weather (snow) that delayed the loading of the cargo on the plane. 10 tons go in the hold and 4 in the cabin, part of which has had the seats removed.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

steman
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:04 am

dcajet wrote:
steman wrote:

Flight number is AR1065

Thank you
S

Special flight carrying around 400,000 doses of the Sputnik V vaccine. It's the 4th of such flights, all nonstop EZE-SVO-EZE, on the 242MTOW A330-200s. Eastbound the trip takes between 15-16 hrs flying time and westbound is a bit longer, around 17-18hs. The flight crew is composed of 4 captains, 6 first officers. There are also a number of mechanics, dispatchers and cabin crew on board. The same crew does both legs of the flight, with a total round trip time including ground time in Moscow of around 40-44 hours. Today's flight was delayed in SVO due to bad weather (snow) that delayed the loading of the cargo on the plane. 10 tons go in the hold and 4 in the cabin, part of which has had the seats removed.

Thank you for the detailed answer. It is really is a special flight.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Saw a report on Bloomberg TV about this. It was a cargo flight and one carrying vaccines manufactured in Russia.

dcajet

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:25 am

AR is sending tonight two A330-200 nonstop EZE-SVO for another vaccines run.

AR1060 LV-GIF left EZE at 9:09 PM 26/2
AR1062 LV-FVI left EZE at 12:20 AM 27/2

AntonioMartin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:15 am

Hope this helps the situation in Argentina a bit..

alberchico

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:40 am

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... tina.phtml

It looks like they flew to China to pick up some vaccines purchased there as well, apparently transiting via Madrid.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/lv-gif
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:02 am

Would be a cool plane to see in SVO
Very unusual visitor

dcajet

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:27 am

alberchico wrote:
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/shipment-of-900000-sinopharm-vaccine-doses-arrives-in-argentina.phtml

It looks like they flew to China to pick up some vaccines purchased there as well, apparently transiting via Madrid.

LV-GIF had special Chinese New Year stickers added for the first flight to Beijing.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10072890

dcajet

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:28 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Would be a cool plane to see in SVO
Very unusual visitor

Two of them on the SVO tarmac right now...

ojjunior

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:32 am

Wow.
Longest ever non-stop A332 flights?
Had no idea A332 could do such journeys.
That's a milestone, wonder why I haven't heard of these flights before.

Any pics, blogs, reports or something similar from crew or staff onboard?

ojjunior

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 am

alberchico wrote:
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/shipment-of-900000-sinopharm-vaccine-doses-arrives-in-argentina.phtml

And after 15+hours airborne the flight has arrived 11 minutes after departing.

dcajet

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:47 am

ojjunior wrote:
Wow.
Longest ever non-stop A332 flights?
Had no idea A332 could do such journeys.
That's a milestone, wonder why I haven't heard of these flights before.

Any pics, blogs, reports or something similar from crew or staff onboard?

The latest versions of the A330-200 (including the 242T MTOW) that AR is deploying on these flights to China and Russia are most capable aircraft. Lightly loaded and topped up with fuel they can fly very long lengths. AR's no stranger to ULF with the A332, prior to the pandemic they flew the longest non stop flight with the A330-200 (measured by distance): EZE-FCO-EZE.

I have not seen much on the media about these flights; the one thing that I can tell you is that each flight carries 4 captains, 6 first officers and a number of mechanics, dispatchers and cabin crew on board.

davidjohnson6

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:29 am

Why does the flight need cabin crew on board, if it's being flown to carry just cargo ? Guesses include the following - but I don't know if they are valid reasons or just my imagination running wild
Is it a requirement in order to be able to carry dispatchers and mechanics ? As airline employees, are dispatchers + mechanics counted as crew or as pax ?
Is there a need to have someone keep an eye on the cargo being carried in the cabin in case it wobbles about a bit and take remedial action before the centre of gravity shifts too much ?
Fire observation / prevention ?
Or some other reason ?

777luver

Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:07 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Why does the flight need cabin crew on board, if it's being flown to carry just cargo ? Guesses include the following - but I don't know if they are valid reasons or just my imagination running wild
Is it a requirement in order to be able to carry dispatchers and mechanics ? As airline employees, are dispatchers + mechanics counted as crew or as pax ?
Is there a need to have someone keep an eye on the cargo being carried in the cabin in case it wobbles about a bit and take remedial action before the centre of gravity shifts too much ?
Or some other reason ?

Can only answer your question about the cabin cargo wobbling around. It's tied down

dcajet

Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:20 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Or some other reason ?

This being Argentina, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a requirement of the FA's union. Keep in mind the same crew flies both legs of the flight. In any case it is not a full 10-strong cabin crew, just 2-3 max.

Embajador3

Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:04 am

This being Argentina, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a requirement of the FA's union. Keep in mind the same crew flies both legs of the flight. In any case it is not a full 10-strong cabin crew, just 2-3 max.[/quote]

Nothing to do with Argentina. This a safety requirement, as the cabin is not of a cargo plane, but a passenger plane without most of its seats. Thus, several FAs are required to be there, in case a fire develops in the cabin, so they can quickly extinguish it.
Flying Together

330lover

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:02 am

Embajador3 wrote:
This being Argentina, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a requirement of the FA's union. Keep in mind the same crew flies both legs of the flight. In any case it is not a full 10-strong cabin crew, just 2-3 max.

Nothing to do with Argentina. This a safety requirement, as the cabin is not of a cargo plane, but a passenger plane without most of its seats. Thus, several FAs are required to be there, in case a fire develops in the cabin, so they can quickly extinguish it.[/quote]

That, plus the mechanics and dispatchers on board are not necessarily aware of all the emergency procedures in case of emergency landing etc... Therefore, always need trained cabin crew.
At least, this is what I could think of...
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

TC957

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 am

IB used their A332's on the MAD - NRT flight - just short of the EZE - FCO distance but out of hotter & higher MAD in summers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos