Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WNagent310

Re: Status of LAX TBIT Midfield Concourse

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:37 pm

phllax wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:
Once pax numbers go back up, the TSA screening checkpoint in T1 will close and consolidate at the central head house of T1.5 which will screen pax for DL, WN, and other MSC carriers.

That seems crazy to close the T1 TSA checkpoint, considering it's relatively new and especially if T0 is being built which will also be WN. It seems like separate checkpoints for DL and WN which they can customize would be the best option.

My understanding is that the T1 TSA checkpoint had to close eventually anyway to go ahead with construction for T0 or “Concourse Zero”.

The T1.5 TSA checkpoint will be one of the bigger checkpoints at LAX given how busy its planned to be with its two major tenants: WN & DL as well as the other domestic MSC carriers.

carljanderson

Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:29 am

Looks like COVID increased the MSC North budget by 5.5M

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=48818 (PPT from LAWA Meeting on 4 March)

atcdan

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:23 am

WNagent310 wrote:
aaway wrote:
Bradin wrote:
I remember the original Gensler plans called for Parking Structure 3 and Parking Structure 4 (across the street from TBIT) to be torn down and made into a terminal area for check in and baggage claim. Wonder if that will still hold true.

No - the APM stations being sited in the manner ultimately chosen is the hindrance. The TBIT station is going to have quite a footprint itself.

Had LAWA committed to a double-spur APM track operation (or, split track system), with stations physically sited between the current ticketing bldgs & current parking structures, I could then fathom a rebuild to move (at very least) ticketing facilities to the center of the CTA by (re)building atop new parking structures.

WNagent310 wrote:
For DL, the big win for them is the possibility of having their own ramp tower for their operation.

You're probably referring to ramp tower structure because DL already has a ramp tower operation in place for D9 & D10.

Yes correct, according to our station management, WN and DL have been at odds about a ramp tower for D8. As of now, DL has a ramp tower for D9 & D10 but D8 is controlled by LAX GND and WN wants to keep it that way. But I believe that issue has been settled and DL will get a ramp tower for D8.

Too bad, you guys will have 5 gates in there with 12a opening for pax boarding soon. When ground is controlling the pushes, we can be a lot more flexible.
LAX ATC

All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way.

WNagent310

Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:45 pm

atcdan wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:
aaway wrote:

No - the APM stations being sited in the manner ultimately chosen is the hindrance. The TBIT station is going to have quite a footprint itself.

Had LAWA committed to a double-spur APM track operation (or, split track system), with stations physically sited between the current ticketing bldgs & current parking structures, I could then fathom a rebuild to move (at very least) ticketing facilities to the center of the CTA by (re)building atop new parking structures.

You're probably referring to ramp tower structure because DL already has a ramp tower operation in place for D9 & D10.

Yes correct, according to our station management, WN and DL have been at odds about a ramp tower for D8. As of now, DL has a ramp tower for D9 & D10 but D8 is controlled by LAX GND and WN wants to keep it that way. But I believe that issue has been settled and DL will get a ramp tower for D8.

Too bad, you guys will have 5 gates in there with 12a opening for pax boarding soon. When ground is controlling the pushes, we can be a lot more flexible.

Exactly, WN is worried DL ramp tower obviously would be giving preference to their own metal during bank times. With Ground in control of the alley we’ve had no issues with long waits for pushes. All we can hope is if it’s fair. WN just doesn’t want issues with long waits for pushes & preference for DL metal.

B752OS

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 pm

How does LAX compare to SFO in terms of wide-body gates and international capacity? SFO has a larger international terminal than LAX has had for a number of years. How space constrained has LAX been in this regard? How much help with the midfield concourse provide?

Bradin

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:15 pm

B752OS wrote:
How does LAX compare to SFO in terms of wide-body gates and international capacity? SFO has a larger international terminal than LAX has had for a number of years. How space constrained has LAX been in this regard? How much help with the midfield concourse provide?

I think it depends on how one 'measures'.

If we were to compare strictly from how many gates at the International Terminal, SFO will likely reign and the new LAX MSC will close the gap. When they finish the MSC South, it will likely surpass SFO.

If we were to compare strictly from passenger count, LAX will likely have more traffic because not all international traffic departs or arrives into the International Terminal. International Traffic departs and arrives from several other terminals, including Terminal 2, 4, 5 and 7.

If we were to do numbers before the COVID-19 pandemic or during the COVID-19 pandemic, those would also impact how one measures.

DTWLAX

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:21 pm

B752OS wrote:

SFO does have a larger international terminal than LAX but LAX uses multiple terminals for international flights. T2, T4, T5, T7 and TBIT can handle international flights.
Can SFO do that? So maybe the size of the international terminal may not matter.

gmcc

Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:41 pm

The satellite portion of T6 66-69 are also international capable gates but only till 7pm

Happytycho

Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:50 pm

B752OS wrote:

There's lots of ambiguity in how to count because of constant changes with construction and stuff, but here's an attempt at providing a general count.

At SFO, the international terminal has 23 international capable wide-body gates and 1 such narrow-body gate. The rebuild of the T1 boarding area B will add 3 more international wide-body gates and 1 more international narrow-body gate.

At LAX, the TBIT can accommodate 14(?) international wide-body aircraft, and I think a few narrow-body. Terminals 2 and 7 each have a few international capable wide-body gates, while terminals 4 and 6 can each accommodate 2 such aircraft. And there are a bunch of international capable narrow-body gates too. Plus all of the hardstands on the western side of the airport that get used for international wide-bodies. The opening of MSC north will add 12 wide-body gates for international flights and replace most need for the bus gates.

In summary, SFO and LAX currently have similar numbers of contact gates for international wide-body aircraft, but LAX also has the remote gates. Once MSC north opens, LAX will take a clear lead in international wide-body gates.

aaway

Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Beginning end of April, the MSC Ramp Tower operation will be split into an East / West operation orientation. 131.975 will be the frequency for West ramp ops. Brief overview of movement areas that MSC ramp tower is / will be responsible for:

Taxilane Kilo (K) between Taxiway Charlee (C) and Delta (D), Taxilane Lima (L) between Taxiways C and D, Taxilane connectors Kilo 1 (K1), Kilo 2 (K2), Kilo (K3), and Taxilane Mike (M) between Taxiway D and Gate 202 at the Midfield Satellite Concourse.

The West operations will closely coincide with the opening of Taxilane Mike.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

gmcc

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Initial winners of the T1.5/MSC lottery are EI, VB, G4, F9, and SY per LAWA board agenda. Pretty much what everyone expected except for maybe Air Lingus and VivaAerobus.
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=48917

LAXffDUB

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:48 pm

gmcc wrote:
Initial winners of the T1.5/MSC lottery are EI, VB, G4, F9, and SY per LAWA board agenda. Pretty much what everyone expected except for maybe Air Lingus and VivaAerobus.

Happened to walk by T1.5 yesterday as they were testing the electronic signage for the check-in area. The above airlines were showing but interestingly also Lufthansa and STAR Alliance. Are they moving in too?

ricq

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 pm

Happytycho wrote:
B752OS wrote:

There's lots of ambiguity in how to count because of constant changes with construction and stuff, but here's an attempt at providing a general count.

At SFO, the international terminal has 23 international capable wide-body gates and 1 such narrow-body gate. The rebuild of the T1 boarding area B will add 3 more international wide-body gates and 1 more international narrow-body gate.

At LAX, the TBIT can accommodate 14(?) international wide-body aircraft, and I think a few narrow-body. Terminals 2 and 7 each have a few international capable wide-body gates, while terminals 4 and 6 can each accommodate 2 such aircraft. And there are a bunch of international capable narrow-body gates too. Plus all of the hardstands on the western side of the airport that get used for international wide-bodies. The opening of MSC north will add 12 wide-body gates for international flights and replace most need for the bus gates.

In summary, SFO and LAX currently have similar numbers of contact gates for international wide-body aircraft, but LAX also has the remote gates. Once MSC north opens, LAX will take a clear lead in international wide-body gates.

SFO will add 3 more International "swing" gates in Terminal 1 when construction is complete there soon. https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airport-development/t1 Arrivals will be able to walk thru a sterile corridor to the International terminal for Customs. Additional International gates may be added to Terminal 3 as well, though that project is on hold at the moment.

travelin man

Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 am

Did the MSC open yesterday? Someone on YouTube has a video of a water cannon salute for a Vivaerobus flight that then pulls up to a gate at the MSC.

https://youtu.be/UgtcDjwugFw

WNagent310

Mon May 03, 2021 7:28 am

travelin man wrote:
Did the MSC open yesterday? Someone on YouTube has a video of a water cannon salute for a Vivaerobus flight that then pulls up to a gate at the MSC.

MSC is “officially” open. Viva Aerobus was the first inaugural departure to leave out of the new “West Gates” of Tom Bradley International. Was working a turn-around on 12A when I saw bus activity on the newly constructed “Terminal 1.5”. Both MSC and T1.5 are on a soft opening phase right now to test out any kinks they might encounter with an official grand-opening scheduled for later on. Only Viva Aerobus is the only airline operating out of MSC with check-in happening at T1.5. Pax being bussed at “Gate 10” to the bus terminal within MSC. I’ll upload a few pics I got when I was strolling around the new concourse.

The future of LAX is bright!!!

travelin man

Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm

WNagent310 wrote:
travelin man wrote:

MSC is “officially” open. Viva Aerobus was the first inaugural departure to leave out of the new “West Gates” of Tom Bradley International. Was working a turn-around on 12A when I saw bus activity on the newly constructed “Terminal 1.5”. Both MSC and T1.5 are on a soft opening phase right now to test out any kinks they might encounter with an official grand-opening scheduled for later on. Only Viva Aerobus is the only airline operating out of MSC with check-in happening at T1.5. Pax being bussed at “Gate 10” to the bus terminal within MSC. I’ll upload a few pics I got when I was strolling around the new concourse.

Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to see your pics! Has the official grand opening been scheduled?

wedgetail737

Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 pm

WNagent310 wrote:
travelin man wrote:

I have 2 dumb questions... (1) Is the MSC completely done? Or are there additional phases to expand that terminal further? and (2) Is the MSC exclusively connected by underground trains?

nws2002

Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:
travelin man wrote:

I have 2 dumb questions... (1) Is the MSC completely done? Or are there additional phases to expand that terminal further? and (2) Is the MSC exclusively connected by underground trains?

1) There are long term plans to add on more gates.

2) For domestic flights (Allegiant, Frontier, Sun Country, etc.) after they check-in at T1.5 and clear security they board a bus to the MSC. If you're not checking a bag, and check-in online or mobile I guess you could go through the connector tunnel between TBIT and MSC. No trains.

LASVegan

Tue May 04, 2021 3:55 am

gmcc wrote:

Does this mean NK stays on 5 with B6, AA, and HA? I thought they were supposed to be part of the 1.5-MSC shuffle.

FSDan

Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 am

Are there plans to shut down the old TBIT bus gate operation in the near term now that Phase I of the MSC is open and traffic (especially international traffic) is down for a while?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Bradin

Tue May 04, 2021 5:35 am

nws2002 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:

1) There are long term plans to add on more gates.

2) For domestic flights (Allegiant, Frontier, Sun Country, etc.) after they check-in at T1.5 and clear security they board a bus to the MSC. If you're not checking a bag, and check-in online or mobile I guess you could go through the connector tunnel between TBIT and MSC. No trains.

Curious - do we know if LAX is going to build the temporary Midfield Satellite Concourse South? Or are they going straight to the MSC final design?

aklrno

Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 am

I have always hated the way the LAX airside buses are operated. I often have been bused from the TBIT bus terminal (a miserable experience itself) to a remote gate. They have a huge fleet of buses and I suspect the drivers are not paid a lot, but they never use as many buses as they should. When they are boarding a full 777 the riders are packed in like sardines for the ride. Not until they have jammed in a few more than can fit do they start the trip and then begin to load another bus. They do not coordinate well with the flight crew so the buses unload before boarding can begin. There is no seating at the remote gates. Some of the unpleasantness is mitigated by the MSC being a lot better than the remote gates but as long as the same management is running the buses I’m sure they will find a way to make it a miserable experience. If I have to use one of those airlines I hope to check in online and have just carryon bags so I can just enter at TBIT or at T4 if the TSA line is shorter there.

CaliforniaBlue

Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 am

Bradin wrote:
nws2002 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Curious - do we know if LAX is going to build the temporary Midfield Satellite Concourse South? Or are they going straight to the MSC final design?

My guess is they'll probably build MSC South as a temporary facility in time for the Olympics, but with the pandemic, someone closer to the Board of Airport Commissioners probably knows better.

Anyways, I found these photos last November. Maybe it gets built this way or not, but it's nice to visualize.

https://imgur.com/rGEJKXZ
https://imgur.com/aQi8n7W
https://imgur.com/yYQxubs
https://imgur.com/YcMHhoC
https://imgur.com/1f6q06E

atlflyer

Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm

CaliforniaBlue wrote:
Bradin wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

My guess is they'll probably build MSC South as a temporary facility in time for the Olympics, but with the pandemic, someone closer to the Board of Airport Commissioners probably knows better.

Anyways, I found these photos last November. Maybe it gets built this way or not, but it's nice to visualize.

First renderings I’ve seen of the Woods-Bagot designed temporary extension. Thanks for sharing. Doesn’t look too bad.

Seems they have enough time now to build out the full MSC South with reduced traffic in other parts of the airport. MSC South, even in its original form, is less complex than MSC North.

Bradin

Wed May 05, 2021 1:25 am

CaliforniaBlue wrote:
Bradin wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Wow... Thanks for the find.

However, I'm with @atlflyer. I think if they went ahead and proceeded with MSC South as originally intended, it would be done before the 2028 Olympics. Groundbreaking and construction for MSC North took place February 27, 2017. 4 years, 2 months later the MSC North is done and operational - including one year of COVID-19 related delays.

We're under 7 years from the 2028 Olympics in LA.

BigPlaneGuy13

Wed May 05, 2021 1:42 am

How much space is usable for terminal development if LWA were to build anything west of the MSC? Building out the MSC in full would be nice, but then AA’s giant hangar would need to be replaced.

Bradin

Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 am

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
How much space is usable for terminal development if LWA were to build anything west of the MSC? Building out the MSC in full would be nice, but then AA’s giant hangar would need to be replaced.

I believe that the plan to demolish AA's giant hangar was or is in the MSC master plan :)

atlflyer

Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm

AA must vacate their Superbay hangar by December 2024. Would 3 years be enough time to demolish the hangar and build the MSC South?

ldvaviation

Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm

atlflyer wrote:
AA must vacate their Superbay hangar by December 2024. Would 3 years be enough time to demolish the hangar and build the MSC South?

The Woods-Bagot extension to the MSC (MSC South) can be built without demolishing the AA Hangar.

In part, LAWA chose this path (a modified MSC) because it had no deal with AA to replace the Hangar.

Bradin

Wed May 05, 2021 3:32 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
atlflyer wrote:

The Woods-Bagot extension to the MSC (MSC South) can be built without demolishing the AA Hangar.

In part, LAWA chose this path (a modified MSC) because it had no deal with AA to replace the Hangar.

I believe that was partly the reason. One of the other reasons was the other capital projects going around the airport, specifically what's happening at Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 - maybe to some extent Terminals 5 and 6. The extra eight gates help provide flexibility to move airlines around while construction is happening around the airport at the various terminals.

hl8208

Wed May 05, 2021 4:14 pm

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know whether where T0/T9 currently stand? I saw an article as recently as November of 2020 explaining that LAWA was moving forward but it seemed to stand in contrast to reports that both projects were on hold due to the pandemic. Any insight appreciated.

NickLAX

Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm

FSDan wrote:
Are there plans to shut down the old TBIT bus gate operation in the near term now that Phase I of the MSC is open and traffic (especially international traffic) is down for a while?

No, they may right size it but the thought was to keep it for contingency reasons and operation needs as they come up

If you look at the planning docs LAWA shares in board meetings and the EIR's there was no recent push to adapt the north end of the TBIT main complex at present. There was a discussion a few years ago if RWY's 24L/R would have had further separation and rebuild that all North side terminals would be clipped. Delta's T3 footprint does NOT exceed T1/T2's footprint as far as the distance to the Taxiway D.

Also the bus gates have an adjacent bag handling facility (look at Google Maps. it's west of the bus gates) - that is still planned to be used regardless of remote gates not needed possibly, this facility supports bag transfers from other terminals to TBIT
Last edited by NickLAX on Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nws2002

Wed May 05, 2021 4:52 pm

NickLAX wrote:
FSDan wrote:

No, they may right size it but the thought was to keep it for contingency reasons and operation needs as they come up

That makes sense. They are operating the busses anyways for inter-terminal transfers, so might as well keep the gates available if needed.

chonetsao

Wed May 05, 2021 5:06 pm

CaliforniaBlue wrote:

Thank you for the findings!!!

Very interesting.

It looks like the temporary buildings can be reused somewhere else if needed. Sort of like the manufactured homes, once finished their mission in LAX, take it somewhere else needed!!!

ldvaviation

Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Bradin wrote:
I believe that was partly the reason. One of the other reasons was the other capital projects going around the airport, specifically what's happening at Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 - maybe to some extent Terminals 5 and 6. The extra eight gates help provide flexibility to move airlines around while construction is happening around the airport at the various terminals.

The MSC South will be the new home of American Eagle.

During the reconstruction of T4, AA will also use gates at the MSC North.

tphuang

Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
Bradin wrote:

Are NK and B6 staying around in T5 long term?

atcdan

Wed May 12, 2021 6:00 am

tphuang wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
Bradin wrote:

I think so. As someone else mentioned, Viva Aerobis has moved to Bradley West, as has Sun Country as of a couple days ago.

We got a briefing at work, I want to say Allegiant and Frontier will also be moving operations there, and officially within LAWA the name has changed from MSC to “Bradley West Gates” to avoid confusion supposedly.

I still haven’t been over there to check it out, but it looks brand new and pretty nice. Maybe on break one of these days I’ll have a walk around.
LAX ATC

All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way.

tphuang

Wed May 12, 2021 5:11 pm

atcdan wrote:
tphuang wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:

I think so. As someone else mentioned, Viva Aerobis has moved to Bradley West, as has Sun Country as of a couple days ago.

We got a briefing at work, I want to say Allegiant and Frontier will also be moving operations there, and officially within LAWA the name has changed from MSC to “Bradley West Gates” to avoid confusion supposedly.

I still haven’t been over there to check it out, but it looks brand new and pretty nice. Maybe on break one of these days I’ll have a walk around.

thanks, I see that G4 has made an announcement of its move to "Bradley West Gates" and is stationing another A320 there. Looks like those who are willing to move have more gate access.

So that leaves NK, B6 and HA along with AA in T-5 for now.

NeBaNi

Wed May 12, 2021 6:06 pm

tphuang wrote:
atcdan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

thanks, I see that G4 has made an announcement of its move to "Bradley West Gates" and is stationing another A320 there. Looks like those who are willing to move have more gate access.

So that leaves NK, B6 and HA along with AA in T-5 for now.

Yep, Allegiant sent me an email about the move yesterday, since I have a flight booked with them in July:
ImageAllegiant_LAX_move by Ne Ni, on Flickr

cynlb

Grand Opening of LAX's new West Gates at TBIT

Mon May 24, 2021 6:28 pm

Grand Opening of LAX’s New West Gates at Tom Bradley International Terminal (video)-
https://youtu.be/uqAeXzOpqWQ

cynlb

Re: Grand Opening of LAX's new West Gates at TBIT

Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Video is mostly speeches from politicians, but views of the new terminal are at 24 minutes and again at 32 minutes

ldvaviation

Re: Grand Opening of LAX's new West Gates at TBIT

Tue May 25, 2021 12:07 am

cynlb wrote:
Grand Opening of LAX’s New West Gates at Tom Bradley International Terminal (video)-
https://youtu.be/uqAeXzOpqWQ

So much money for such mediocre design...

atcdan

Tue May 25, 2021 2:35 am

I walked through the terminal Saturday night on a break, it’s definitely not the awe inspiring architecture of the original TBIT from an interior perspective, but the overall experience is an open, light, and airy design as you walk through. Great spotting opportunities from the north end of the MSC too at least for 24L departures.

Walking time from P2/T2 to the middle of MSC is about 20 min, not accounting for any TSA lines. Overall I think this is a preferable alternative to the bus gates at the west remotes.

There is also a ton of space for retail/dining and lounges but currently there are just a couple of snack shop kiosks operating.
LAX ATC

rjbesikof

Tue May 25, 2021 2:39 am

A few days ago KLM flight 601/602 used the West gate 221 I think. When will more TBIT airlines start using these gates (like LATAM, Air China, JAL, etc)?

moa999

Tue May 25, 2021 3:44 am

Any news on what airlines/alliances or third parties taking up the lounge spaces?

FromCDGtoSYD

Tue May 25, 2021 3:54 am

moa999 wrote:
Any news on what airlines/alliances or third parties taking up the lounge spaces?

AF was supposed to take up a space but theres been little to no news on the topic for a while now.

atlflyer

Tue May 25, 2021 6:51 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
moa999 wrote:

AF was supposed to take up a space but theres been little to no news on the topic for a while now.

Press release from LAWA states this:

In spring 2022, Air France will unveil a new lounge at the West Gates at Tom Bradley, offering its La Première, Business and Flying Blue Elite Plus customers even more comfort at the airport before their flight to Paris-Charles de Gaulle.

LAWA is planning to create common-use lounges where any passenger can purchase daily access and a future location is planned for the West Gates at Tom Bradley.

BigPlaneGuy13

Wed May 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Found a nice walkthrough video on YouTube of the new MSC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYGirnY7DPM

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos