Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Star Peru suspends operations

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:06 am

In the midst of bankruptcy rumors, the Peruvian domestic airline Star Peru has suspended operations until March 5th initially, citing low travel demand.

https://elcomercio.pe/economia/dia-1/st ... r-noticia/

https://notitransportes.com/star-peru-s ... uarentena/
Keep calm and wash your hands.

aerorobnz

Re: Star Peru suspends operations

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 pm

hope they return flying and that this buys some time I have used them a few times on their 146-100/200s. Sad; to see so many airlines slipping into the history books because of the travel restrictions
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:25 am

aerorobnz wrote:
hope they return flying and that this buys some time I have used them a few times on their 146-100/200s. Sad; to see so many airlines slipping into the history books because of the travel restrictions

They had been skating on thin ice for sometime now, the pandemic is just the "coup de grâce" that may do them in. Frankly I don't know how they can possibly survive next to LATAM, SKY and Viva, with much, much deeper pockets.

aerorobnz

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:13 am

dcajet wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

They had been skating on thin ice for sometime now, the pandemic is just the "coup de grâce" that may do them in. Frankly I don't know how they can possibly survive next to LATAM, SKY and Viva, with much, much deeper pockets.

Yeah, sadly true. I can't help rooting for the airlines with the unusual fleets though..
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

debonair

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 pm

That's the airlines supposedly merging ops with Peruvian in the past, isn't it?! Btw. do they still operate the BAe146?

usflyer msp

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:31 pm

Star Peru was popular with tourists for a time because they didn't charge a foreigner surcharge like LATAM and Avianca did. Then Viva and Sky came along doing the same thing but with newer fleets and Star dropped off.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:37 pm

debonair wrote:
That's the airlines supposedly merging ops with Peruvian in the past, isn't it?! Btw. do they still operate the BAe146?

It appears the BAe146 fleet was parked and 3-4 737-300 ex Southwest took over the operations, together with 2 Dash-8 400.

Pi7472000

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 am

That is awful!! I loved their BAe146 service I took from Lima to Cusco!!! Very friendly staff.

dcajet
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:51 am

dcajet wrote:
In the midst of bankruptcy rumors, the Peruvian domestic airline Star Peru has suspended operations until March 5th initially, citing low travel demand.

https://elcomercio.pe/economia/dia-1/st ... r-noticia/

https://notitransportes.com/star-peru-s ... uarentena/

According to Peruvian media, the airline suffered a drop in cash flow of 80% in the first week of February 2021; suspension of operations is extended indefinitely until the pandemic travel restrictions are lifted.

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:07 am

It feels like Viva and Sky simply pushed Star and Peruvian out of business. While it is nice to have well funded airlines with newer planes, it’s somewhat sad to see the domestic airlines pushed out by subsidiaries of foreign airlines

Boeing757100

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:11 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It feels like Viva and Sky simply pushed Star and Peruvian out of business. While it is nice to have well funded airlines with newer planes, it’s somewhat sad to see the domestic airlines pushed out by subsidiaries of foreign airlines

Was Peruvian the one with the DC-8? And they dissolved because of liquidity issues I think.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

dcajet
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

The fact that foreign airlines are pushing the local airlines out of business has not been lost to some in Peru. The Transport Commission of the Peruvian Congress approved a bill that would allow the creation of a state airline, called Línea Aérea de Bandera del Perú (LAPERU). Needless to say, the foreign private airline sector in Peru is not happy with the decision.

I am not sure this is the right path to take, but then, I am not a Peruvian voter/taxpayer.

https://simpleflying.com/peru-state-airline-progress/

dcajet
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

Was Peruvian the one with the DC-8? And they dissolved because of liquidity issues I think.[/quote]

I believe you may be thinking of Faucett. They operated with DC-8-50s on domestic routes back in the 80s. They went out of business like 20+ years ago. AeroPeru also operated DC-8, but internationally across the Americas.

Peruvian operated 737-200, 300 & 500.

debonair

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
I loved their BAe146 service I took from Lima to Cusco!!!

WOW! WOW! What a wonderful BAe 146-100, the tail is magic! One of the best smiliner liveries ever!

Boeing757100 wrote:
Was Peruvian the one with the DC-8? And they dissolved because of liquidity issues I think.

True, their were two DC-8 registered OB-2158-P and OB-2059-P operated by Peruvian - but I am not sure if this was the same as the passenger airline or a subsidiary of "Grupo Peruvian".

oldJoe

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

First of all, Latam should be brought into conversation. Yes, sad but on the other hand you can't get passengers to fly with worn-out aircraft. Even locals only do this out of financial difficulties, and I speak from my own experience !
It was a long time ago when my Peruvian wife banned me from using Peruvian airlines out of fear ! At that time I was booked on flight 603 Aeroperu and missed the flight due to traffic jams and that's the only reason I can write here today.
Later in the year my return flight with KLM was delayed due to problems with their MD-11 and I had to fly from Lima to Aruba with Faucett ( 737-200 ), which was first cleaned ( dust ). The seats in all possible colors, the crew in three different uniforms and the seat on my boarding card was not installed at all. As there were no life jackets, the aircraft flew through a violent thunderstorm over the continent instead of the coast.
Conclusion: if Peruvian airlines cannot afford new (relatively) aircraft, they have no chance at all to compete.

dabpit

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:54 pm

New airplanes are not the issue here. Star Peru's three 737-300s were delivered to Southwest Airlines in 1994 and the 737-500 was delivered to Lufthansa in 1991. There are plenty of older planes in service with airlines around the world.

There are a couple of issues at play that are hurting Star Peru:
- The biggest issue is the slump in travel as a result of COVID-19
- Management appears to not be the most competent (issue at any Peruvian airline)
- All of the foreign airlines are not required to register airplanes within Peru and therefore are able to avoid paying the higher fees that the Peruvian Government imposes for airplanes registered in the country. This is a major disadvantage for an airline that wants to be a true Peruvian flag-carrying airline.
- Star Peru does not seem to appear on any GDS and has extremely out-of-date reservations and IT systems.
- Given that their lowest fare includes a carry-on and a checked bag how are they making any money?

In March of 2020, I had a chance to fly Star Peru from PCL to IQT with a number of family members. Had no concerns flying with them. The first thing I noticed when I got on board was that they kept the Southwest interior. If memory serves me correctly, I flew on that particular aircraft when it was with Southwest. The service on board was no different than that of Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, Sky Airlines, or Viva Air (also flew on Viva Air and Sky Airlines during my trip). One thing that did strike me as odd was that they did not allow anyone to keep their personal items under the seat in front of them, none of the other airlines within Peru did this.

Star Peru could be a good Flag Carrier but some things need to change for that to happen, starting with hiring successful industry executives to run the airline properly.
Carpe Diem

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:23 am

Star Peru is set to resume operations on March 19th.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2021/03/tr ... eraciones/