Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ADB1
Topic Author

B737 going around several times at MAN

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi All,

I can't get get my scanner to work. Does anybody know why the re is a TUI B738 going round several times at MAN just now? I hope that all is well.

Thanks,

Alastair

davidjohnson6

Re: B737 going around several times at MAN

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:59 pm

If you mean G-FDZX, then it's now back on the ground

ChrisKen

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

ADB1 wrote:
Hi All,

I can't get get my scanner to work. Does anybody know why the re is a TUI B738 going round several times at MAN just now? I hope that all is well.

Thanks,

Alastair

C/S 904P is used for repositioning or test flights. Since it's clearly not a repositioning flight....... The pattern flown also suggests test (or maybe a touch of currency training).

Bealine251

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:17 pm

It did the same on 16th January. Guess it's just to keep it active. Last main international flight was 2nd January

JannEejit

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:45 pm

These circuits are reasonably common at the moment at UK airports where fleet are currently stored and inactive.

cedarjet

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:53 pm

In the early days of the pandemic when I guess it was hoped this wouldn’t be a multi-year event, Ryanair earmarked a chunk of the fleet to keep ready for a restart of operations (starting a Boeing after 6 days is an engineering issue) and were going to not only do regular circuits at Stansted for recency but also (at least mooted in a WhatsApp chat group of check airmen) paint a line across the touchdown at Stansted and see who could get the closest to it and have a league table. Would have been the most hysterical thing ever. I guess no chance in real life but a lot of fun to think about
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

atcsundevil

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Please just discuss the topic. There's no need to get into the pedantry of what's included in thread titles.

✈️ atcsundevil

Crosswind

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Airlines don’t do recency training for pilots on aircraft, it’s far cheaper to use the sim. Plus the sim has far higher training value; you can simulate failures, max crosswind, low visibility, Cat C airfields.... all of which require recency. Flying circuits round your base is to stop the aircraft having to be placed into deep storage. To place an aircraft in long term storage, not only do the maintenance procedures become onerous and expensive, it also makes the aircraft harder to stand up once economic conditions improve.

The only real exceptions to this may be when due to their location and/or quarantine restrictions an airline doesn’t have access to a sim to retain pilot currency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos