Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slowrambler
Topic Author

Southern US Polar Vortex disruptions

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:20 am

Some pretty major disruption happening in the south-central US today due to snow covering Texas and other states. From FlightAware's cancellations page:

Cancellations by origin airport (# canceled, % canceled)
410 95% Houston Bush Int'ctl (IAH)
115 86% William P Hobby (HOU)
98 81% Austin-Bergstrom Intl (AUS)
13 76% Baton Rouge Metro (BTR)
14 73% Shreveport Rgnl (SHV)
13 72% Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers Intl (JAN)
62 70% San Antonio Intl (SAT)
24 68% Clinton National (LIT)
136 62% Nashville Intl (BNA)
13 61% Corpus Christi Intl (CRP)
467 60% Dallas-Fort Worth Intl (DFW)
18 56% Midland Intl Air and Space Port (MAF)
13 52% Springfield (SGF)
74 42% Dallas Love Fld (DAL)
43 41% Memphis Intl (MEM)
27 41% Will Rogers World (OKC)

Houston looks pretty wiped out... and there's probably more precipitation on its way in a day or so.

Cubsrule

Re: Southern US Polar Vortex disruptions

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:59 am

BNA and MEM should be able to operate tomorrow if they can get employees to the airport, but that could be tricky with the weather being too cold for salt to do much good and most of the precip having been ice. There may be another round coming Wednesday into Thursday which, if it materializes, could booger all of these places into the weekend.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jreeves96

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:03 am

Kentucky has also been hit with about 2 inches of sleet. Have no idea how I'm gonna clear my driveway.

I know LEX canceled flights not sure on SDF or CVG. I except UPS and DHL to take delays tonight based on employees not getting to work.

asuflyer

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:38 am

Envoy had a groundstop earlier as dispatching employees could not make it in to work.

asuflyer

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 am

A UPS 744 slid off a taxiway in SDF. The Worldport has closed for the first time in UPS history.

https://twitter.com/JetTipNet/status/13 ... 4611344387

jreeves96

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:49 am

asuflyer wrote:
A UPS 744 slid off a taxiway in SDF. The Worldport has closed for the first time in UPS history.

Didn't know UPS did AMC charters. Must have been too light if it was ferry. Hopefully no damage.

Boeing727

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 am

asuflyer wrote:

Looks like runway 35L is back open with good breaking action for the inbound international & Anchorage flights (I assume N575UP has been moved), while 35R is being treated after breaking action was reported Nil...

joeblow10

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:56 am

Seems to me this is the equivalent of those t-storms (or the power outage...) at ATL several years back, but now it’s really hitting AA. 49% of MQ ops canceled on the day and 28% of AA mainline... it’s a mess, crews out of place everywhere, they’ve already canceled my flight into DFW on Wednesday afternoon. I imagine it’ll take a week or more for them to right the ship. I can’t imagine the kind of mess it would be if COVID weren’t going on

UA isn’t in great shape with IAH and ORD getting slammed today too...

SkyVoice

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 am

Let us know what you know about irregular ops today (15 February) at these airports in the USA . . . LIT, JAN, CHA, TYS, TRI, HTS, CRW, HGR, PIT, LBE, ERI, JST, MDT, JHW, ALB, SYR, BGM, BTV, BUF, MHT, PWM, and any other aerodromes that hosted commercial flights during this winter storm. Thank you in advance for your responses.

If you must work out on the ramp in the bitter cold, stay busy & get back inside as soon as you can. This global warming is freezing us to death!
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

PVD523

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 am

Reading the NOTAMs for these southern airports has been interesting. Wishing everyone safe operations.

MIflyer12

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
Let us know what you know about irregular ops today (15 February) at these airports in the USA . . . LIT, JAN, CHA, TYS, TRI, HTS, CRW, HGR, PIT, LBE, ERI, JST, MDT, JHW, ALB, SYR, BGM, BTV, BUF, MHT, PWM, and any other aerodromes that hosted commercial flights during this winter storm. Thank you in advance for your responses.

See Flightaware.com for delays and cancellations by airport and operating carrier.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today#stats

Chuska

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:14 pm

4 degrees F in DFW this morning. And with rolling power outages, God be with you all.

jayunited

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Seems to me this is the equivalent of those t-storms (or the power outage...) at ATL several years back, but now it’s really hitting AA. 49% of MQ ops canceled on the day and 28% of AA mainline... it’s a mess, crews out of place everywhere, they’ve already canceled my flight into DFW on Wednesday afternoon. I imagine it’ll take a week or more for them to right the ship. I can’t imagine the kind of mess it would be if COVID weren’t going on

Yesterday there was a NOTAM out advising IAH would be closed until 1200 local time today. United canceled all operations yesterday out of IAH, today the plan is to try and resume a limited number of mainline flights this afternoon, while UAX operations will not resume until Wednesday evening at the earliest.

Here in the Chicagoland region depending on where you live snow totals range from 3 inches to nearly 18 inches. Officially ORD received 7.5 inches of snow but down at MDW in the heart of the city their snow total was 17.7 inches. Keep in mind most of this snow fell within an 8-10 hour time span. As far as the cold I feel for those in our southern states because they are not use to this type of cold and snow so please be safe and if you can stay off the roads. it is better to call in sick and stay safe than to loose your life on these treacherous roads.

Here up north as cold as it is its almost funny to hear people in Chicago who've lived here for years say this is nothing. Anyone who lived in Chicago during the 2014 polar vortex knows what real cold feels like. On several days in 2014 our actual high temp was -16° F with windchills near -50° F below zero and overnight lows dipped into the -25° to -30° F with wind chills nearing -65° F below zero. During 2014 I think we had 8 or 10 straight days were our actual air high temperature for the day never got above 0° F. After you've experience cold like that you're like its cold but mother nature could be far more brutal if she wanted. The biggest problem in the Chicagoland region right now is the snow. We've received an entire winter season worth of snow plus more in 2 weeks. So much has fallen in just the past 2 weeks there is really no place left to shovel it. :shakehead: :white: :white: :white:

AWACSooner

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Surprised there wasn’t a thread on AS’s meltdowns at PDX and SEA last weekend. 10+ hour wait times on phone holds even for elites is NOT how to work crisis ops.

catiii

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:45 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
Kentucky has also been hit with about 2 inches of sleet. Have no idea how I'm gonna clear my driveway.

As my father in law in south Georgia says, "God put it there, and I'll let God take it away."

bravotango75

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Please...this is nothing, a walk in the park here in BOS.

Acey559

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:35 pm

jayunited wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Yesterday there was a NOTAM out advising IAH would be closed until 1200 local time today. United canceled all operations yesterday out of IAH, today the plan is to try and resume a limited number of mainline flights this afternoon, while UAX operations will not resume until Wednesday evening at the earliest.

Here in the Chicagoland region depending on where you live snow totals range from 3 inches to nearly 18 inches. Officially ORD received 7.5 inches of snow but down at MDW in the heart of the city their snow total was 17.7 inches. Keep in mind most of this snow fell within an 8-10 hour time span. As far as the cold I feel for those in our southern states because they are not use to this type of cold and snow so please be safe and if you can stay off the roads. it is better to call in sick and stay safe than to loose your life on these treacherous roads.

Here up north as cold as it is its almost funny to hear people in Chicago who've lived here for years say this is nothing. Anyone who lived in Chicago during the 2014 polar vortex knows what real cold feels like. On several days in 2014 our actual high temp was -16° F with windchills near -50° F below zero and overnight lows dipped into the -25° to -30° F with wind chills nearing -65° F below zero. During 2014 I think we had 8 or 10 straight days were our actual air high temperature for the day never got above 0° F. After you've experience cold like that you're like its cold but mother nature could be far more brutal if she wanted. The biggest problem in the Chicagoland region right now is the snow. We've received an entire winter season worth of snow plus more in 2 weeks. So much has fallen in just the past 2 weeks there is really no place left to shovel it. :shakehead: :white: :white: :white:

I remember that all too well. I was flying for American Eagle at the time and had multiple calls from scheduling telling me not to come into work over that time period. I remember one of them was because the glycol froze and they were unable to deice any planes. That was an eye opener.

I wish I still had the screenshot, but over where I’m from in the Quad Cities, my phone said the “real feel” temp was -72 with the windchill. I’d hardly believe it except for having lived it!

twincommander

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Surprised there wasn’t a thread on AS’s meltdowns at PDX and SEA last weekend. 10+ hour wait times on phone holds even for elites is NOT how to work crisis ops.

Airport ops melted down too. Whole airport was a disaster for awhile.

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:57 pm

When was the last time that Houston’s airport closed for multiple days that wasn’t a hurricane?

Prayers to those enduring without heat, power and /or power. It sounds like the power grid and utilities in Texas are seriously struggling.

luckyone

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:07 pm

catiii wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:

As my father in law in south Georgia says, "God put it there, and I'll let God take it away."

Well as a Georgia boy myself, that's rather rich. South Georgia gets maybe a dusting of frozen precipitation every decade, and it rarely lasts more than a few hours.

joeblow10 wrote:

ORD though is equipped for and accustomed to such weather, even if the magnitude is high. It's one of the things I really admire about Midwesterners--they're resilient because they have to be, and you learn what really and truly is a problem and what you can live with when you know how. This year reminds me of the winter of 2013-2014. It started snowing around Halloween and more or less snowed once or twice a week until mid April, with significant accumulation and many days in a row of heavy snow. ORD will likely be up and running shortly after the snow stops falling. IAH will probably take a little longer just because of course this happens so rarely in Houston.

luv2cattlecall

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:20 pm

DL5245 ALT-LIT diverted to PDK. Is that weather related? I'm wondering what could have come up so soon after takeoff to cause that change in plans? Also, why PDK vs just heading back to ATL?

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:27 pm

luckyone wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

ORD though is equipped for and accustomed to such weather, even if the magnitude is high. It's one of the things I really admire about Midwesterners--they're resilient because they have to be, and you learn what really and truly is a problem and what you can live with when you know how. This year reminds me of the winter of 2013-2014. It started snowing around Halloween and more or less snowed once or twice a week until mid April, with significant accumulation and many days in a row of heavy snow. ORD will likely be up and running shortly after the snow stops falling. IAH will probably take a little longer just because of course this happens so rarely in Houston.

Did DFW and IAH get ice or snow? Ice is quite a bit more disruptive, especially when followed by temperatures that drop low enough that salt is ineffective. I've lived both in the snow belt and in the ice belt. The likes of BNA, MEM, and SDF deal with snow just about as well as places that get a lot of snow. The last time we had 6+ inches of snow in Nashville, essentially everything was plowed and up and running within about 24 hours. Ice is a very, very different beast because it isn't really plowable.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:33 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
DL5245 ALT-LIT diverted to PDK. Is that weather related? I'm wondering what could have come up so soon after takeoff to cause that change in plans? Also, why PDK vs just heading back to ATL?

Is PDK even a legal alternate for DL and a CL900?

luv2cattlecall

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:40 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
luv2cattlecall wrote:

They have ARFF there now I think - is that enough to make it a legal alternate? Either way, it seems like a really odd choice instead of just going to ATL

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:42 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
luv2cattlecall wrote:

They have ARFF there now I think - is that enough to make it a legal alternate? Either way, it seems like a really odd choice instead of just going to ATL

Is this aircraft actually on the ground at PDK? Both flightaware and delta.com have it taxiing out at ATL.

ALTF4

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:45 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:

Can you link to FlightAware showing this? Currently DL5245 is taxiing for takeoff from ATL, according to FlightAware... but for over an hour. What tail?
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

ramprat74

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

The Port of Portland took all their toys when they went home at 3:00pm on Friday. One of our arrivals had to stop on the taxiway because they couldn’t see the taxiway anymore at 5:30pm. The taxiways and VSR’s were terrible. The Port will blame Covid for the lack of clearing I bet.

Joeblow

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:02 pm

DFW hit -2 F this morning. Second coldest temp in record keeping history and coldest in 72 years.

janders

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Quite the image of DFW this AM

The overnight low temperature at the airport hit -2!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuW4EEAXYAE ... ame=medium
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

AirKevin

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:05 pm

jreeves96 wrote:

I know LEX canceled flights not sure on SDF or CVG. I except UPS and DHL to take delays tonight based on employees not getting to work.

Good luck with that one. I-24 is quite icy here, three tractor-trailers were in the ditch. I finally said screw this and shut down. Driving in snow in a tractor-trailer is one thing. Driving in ice in a tractor-trailer is not happening.
Captain Kevin

luv2cattlecall

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 pm

ALTF4 wrote:
luv2cattlecall wrote:

Can you link to FlightAware showing this? Currently DL5245 is taxiing for takeoff from ATL, according to FlightAware... but for over an hour. What tail?

My apologies, must have been a weird glitch from flightradar24. It had the the status as diverted to PDK, and had tail 181PQ as on the ground there, but now that's the aircraft headed ATL-LIT, and there's no track log up to PDK.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:26 pm

It was -17(actual temp) at XNA last night.
It is colder than a witch's tit in Arkansas. 4 to 8 more inches for XNA tonight.

SRQLOT

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:35 pm

jayunited wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

That winter of 2014 is why I bailed on Chicagoland next year! Haha Now I only fly up for few days a year to remind myself why I left. Glad this happened this week and not last Friday as AA did warn me of possible flight cancellations due to freezing rain earlier in the day, that caused that huge pile up in Dallas.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 772 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E70/75/95 (PA28,152)

hayzel777

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
luv2cattlecall wrote:

Must be listed on the OpSpec to be legally listed as an alternate on the release.

luckyone

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:26 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
jayunited wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

That winter of 2014 is why I bailed on Chicagoland next year! Haha Now I only fly up for few days a year to remind myself why I left. Glad this happened this week and not last Friday as AA did warn me of possible flight cancellations due to freezing rain earlier in the day, that caused that huge pile up in Dallas.

I was actually at O'Hare the day that the most severe polar vortex hit. My flight was one of the few that departed before the airport literally froze. We were delayed something to the effect of two hours, and had to be de-iced twice. Naturally I missed my connection in Charlotte, and spent an hour on the phone while waiting in line, in order to be put on the next flight--the phone call went faster than the line. That was my first *real winter* after I moved to Chicago. The previous one was rather mild. Maybe it's a product of growing up in hot weather, it was novel, I don't know. But it did not bother me, and maybe now that's why cold snaps do not bother me -- I lived through that, and few things are so extreme. I learned that I can always put on another layer, whereas where I grew up down South, I could only take off so many layers before I was either arrested or sunburned in places I didn't want to be. For whatever they're worth, I have my own, evolutionary biological theories about which bodies are designed to live where, as well, and in general just do not understand the long term "good idea" of having millions of people living in a place their bodies aren't designed to, to the point where the climate has to be artificially modulated in a way that isn't provided by natural means (as opposed to say, fire and heat) for the people living there to find it tolerable.

STT757

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 pm

bravotango75 wrote:

I probably still have 18 inches on snow on the ground, Central Jersey, with 8 more forecast to come Thursday.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

HPRamper

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 pm

ramprat74 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

The Port of Portland took all their toys when they went home at 3:00pm on Friday. One of our arrivals had to stop on the taxiway because they couldn’t see the taxiway anymore at 5:30pm. The taxiways and VSR’s were terrible. The Port will blame Covid for the lack of clearing I bet.

Sounds similar to what we had here at SEA. In years past the Port was good at getting the plows up and running even as the snow was beginning to fall. This time around, on Saturday early morning they were nowhere to be found until the snow was six inches deep on the taxiways and drifting up to waist height. By then it was too late and they were trying to play catchup with the obvious results.

gdavis003

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:00 am

STT757 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

I probably still have 18 inches on snow on the ground, Central Jersey, with 8 more forecast to come Thursday.

Today was the nicest day we’ve had in Central Jersey in the last two weeks. Had quite a lot of melting today from the storm two weeks ago, prepared for another round on Thursday. Much warmer here today than in the South, definitely not the norm. I doubt there will be much of a shutdown of airport ops with this next round though, doesn’t seem to be as intense as the last big round. EWR was pretty much shut down on Monday the 1st.

jreeves96

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 am

I would take snow over ice. The ground here in Central Kentucky is literally ice. There's a solid 2 1/2 inches of ice on top of my truck. Even wet snow I'd take. At least its easy to clear. They can't clear our roads here and we're due for another round on Thursday that's supposed to drop 4 inches of snow on top of the 2-3 inches of ice and then another round on Monday. Next Wednesday looks to be almost in the 50s so hopefully all this crap melts.

I know CVG got mostly snow, but I would love to see the deicing operations at UPS.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 pm

JAN has been completely closed to operations for the last two days.

atcsundevil

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 pm

A friend of mine at UPS sent these from SDF last week. Apparently they ran out of deicing fluid. Not difficult to see how.

Weatherwatcher1

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Do we know which airports remain closed? AUS and SAT haven’t had any commercial flights since Sunday afternoon. IAH is barely operating. My prayers go out to those in Texas. Airports knocked out for three days is a bad sign.

atcsundevil

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
Do we know which airports remain closed? AUS and SAT haven’t had any commercial flights since Sunday afternoon. IAH is barely operating. My prayers go out to those in Texas. Airports knocked out for three days is a bad sign.

FAA OIS lists ABI, AUS, and JAN closed due to snow/ice. The ops plan has a 24 per hour rate into DFW at least til 1900Z. I don't know what their usual rates are, but I'm guessing it's at least four times that. I don't see any initiatives out yet, but I'm guessing there will be. There's nothing specific for IAH, but given the massive numbers of cancelations, restrictions probably aren't even necessary.

muralir

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
A friend of mine at UPS sent these from SDF last week. Apparently they ran out of deicing fluid. Not difficult to see how.

Holy cow! I have never seen icicles on a wing before. And ORD used to be my hometown airport. You know it's bad when the de-icing procedure progresses from "spray a little glycol on it" to "grab a scraper and whack the ice off" :)

DFW17L

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:33 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
I would take snow over ice. The ground here in Central Kentucky is literally ice. There's a solid 2 1/2 inches of ice on top of my truck. Even wet snow I'd take. At least its easy to clear. They can't clear our roads here and we're due for another round on Thursday that's supposed to drop 4 inches of snow on top of the 2-3 inches of ice and then another round on Monday. Next Wednesday looks to be almost in the 50s so hopefully all this crap melts.

I know CVG got mostly snow, but I would love to see the deicing operations at UPS.

Agreed. All it takes is a very thin layer of ice. I don’t think folks living in higher latitudes understand that key point.

ZazuPIT

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Just watching local news here in Nashville. They had a shot of the departures board at BNA, and I'd say 80ish % or more of flights are cancelled. With more snow and cold moving in, not sure it's going to improve here until the weekend or early next week.

CARST

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
This global warming is freezing us to death!

If this was a dig at human-caused change in weather and climate, it wasn't a good one. The scenario we are dealing with is climate change, which is caused by humans. This climate change comes with a lot of effects. Extreme heat-waves (often mislabled as global warming), extreme cold-waves, extreme storms, extreme rainfalls, and lots of other extremes, which we haven't seen before. That is why you so often read these days "more snow/rain/insert-weather-effect-here than ever recorded in the past 100 years" or "highest/coldest temperature ever recorded in XYZ". And with climate change causing all these different extremes, you also see that we are not dealing with a slow, normal change in weather (because climate always changed in the millions of year this planet exists), but we are dealing with a climate change, that negatively effects all our lives with extreme heatwaves, coldwaves, storms, torrential rains and so on...

Phosphorus

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:01 pm

DFW17L wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:

Agreed. All it takes is a very thin layer of ice. I don’t think folks living in higher latitudes understand that key point.

I live at 51 degrees northern latitude. What is it exactly about icing (thin layers, thick layers, thick layers with a treacherous snow cover, uneven ice with even more treacherous snow cover, etc.) that you expect us not to understand?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

catiii

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm

luckyone wrote:
catiii wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:

Well as a Georgia boy myself, that's rather rich. South Georgia gets maybe a dusting of frozen precipitation every decade, and it rarely lasts more than a few hours.

Not sure what your point is. Nothing "rich" about it. Snow/ice storm in Tifton in 2018.

5 to 8 inches coming for the NYC airports tomorrow. The good news is as forecasted at least for now the winds look to be right down the 4's.

spinotter

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm

CARST wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
This global warming is freezing us to death!

If this was a dig at human-caused change in weather and climate, it wasn't a good one. The scenario we are dealing with is climate change, which is caused by humans. This climate change comes with a lot of effects. Extreme heat-waves (often mislabled as global warming), extreme cold-waves, extreme storms, extreme rainfalls, and lots of other extremes, which we haven't seen before. That is why you so often read these days "more snow/rain/insert-weather-effect-here than ever recorded in the past 100 years" or "highest/coldest temperature ever recorded in XYZ". And with climate change causing all these different extremes, you also see that we are not dealing with a slow, normal change in weather (because climate always changed in the millions of year this planet exists), but we are dealing with a climate change, that negatively effects all our lives with extreme heatwaves, coldwaves, storms, torrential rains and so on...

Thanks for your post. I felt like answering SkyVoice myself, but it is sometimes too discouraging to witness the self-interested denialism which is so rampant on this subject. The human race has big challenges ahead - covering up our eyes is one strategy many are using to cope.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos