Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BAINY3

Re: Official: LAS to be renamed for Harry Reid

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:33 pm

SFOThinker wrote:
I wonder how many people in the Twin Cities even know the name “Wold-Chamberlin Field”? Not many, I bet. The name is very old.

I heard my grandpa call it that once, and that's it. He was probably 80 at the time.

But in a much more recent sense, it's still pretty common to call the terminals "Lindbergh" and "Humphrey" even though they officially got renamed to T1 and T2 many years ago now.

Newark727

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:37 pm

CALMSP wrote:
KrustyTheKlown wrote:
A way better name would be "What-happens-in-Vegas" International Airport

100%!!!

But it's not staying in Vegas! That's the whole point of an airport! :P

FiscAutTecGarte

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Vegas Air Strip....
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

spinotter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:55 pm

SESGDL wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
I can understand wanting to lose the Mccarran name due to the racist and anti sematic background, but honestly, they should have gone for a neutral name like Las Vegas International.

Harry has done a lot for Las Vegas and Nevada, but something neutral would be better.

Why? And neutral is not neutral to everyone. Someone’s always going to have an issue with something.

Jeremy

No one can object to Las Vegas International for any reason.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:02 pm

spinotter wrote:

None of them likely rational.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Veigar

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 pm

As a Valley local for 20+ years, my opinion on this is just "lol"

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 pm

I’ve always checked on to EWR tower with ‘Liberty Tower’ and I think they’re annoyed by it every time.

Italianflyer

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm

In Louisville SDF aka Muhammad Ali International is still 'Standiford' too pretty much everybody.

mga707

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:58 pm

halrudy wrote:
heck, why not name it "Moe Green Airport", didnt he create Las Vegas?? At least in the Godfather movie anyway

The Green character is based on real life mobster 'Bugsy' Siegel, who did, without much exaggeration, 'create' modern Las Vegas after WW2. Prior to that time, the majority of Nevada's 'gaming' (gambling) industry was in Reno. Vegas was just a small town of some 5,000 people, about the same size as the nearby town of Boulder City, created in the early 1930s for the Boulder/Hoover Dam construction workers.
Naming the airport after Siegel would be more appropriate than naming it after a corrupt old politician like Reid.

kalvado

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:02 pm

spinotter wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
I can understand wanting to lose the Mccarran name due to the racist and anti sematic background, but honestly, they should have gone for a neutral name like Las Vegas International.

Harry has done a lot for Las Vegas and Nevada, but something neutral would be better.

Why? And neutral is not neutral to everyone. Someone’s always going to have an issue with something.

Jeremy

Challenge accepted!
We're missing a chance to commemorate an outstanding person. Look, There is JFK, LaGuardia and many other airports named after someone. We're falling behind the curve!

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 pm

ro1960 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:

This is patently false. Off the top of my head...

BOS = Logan Airport to the locals
BDL = Bradley to the locals
AUS = Bergstrom to the locals
ATL = Hartsfield to the locals
SNA = John Wayne Airport to the locals
STL = Lambert Field to the locals

I'm sure there are many more but you get the point.

CDG = Charles De Gaule but Roissy to the locals.
LYS = Lyon St. Exupery but Satolas to the locals.

For CDG, "maybe" it's because it is actually located in Roissy-en-France??? So, it wasn't named for anything else than it's geographical location. The project started as Paris Nord in 1964.

maps4ltd

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
We here at SAN always called our airport Lindbergh Field.

St. Louisans call our airport Lambert Field. When I was little I flew STL-SAN a lot (family) and would get the two confused.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

Utah744

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 am

Wayne Newton did way more for Las Vegas and for a much longer time than Reid.
You are never too old to learn something stupid

Bricktop

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:09 am

halrudy wrote:
heck, why not name it "Moe Green Airport", didnt he create Las Vegas?? At least in the Godfather movie anyway

I heartily second this! It’s a disgrace that there isn’t a plaque or a signpost or a statue of him in that town.

AAlaxfan

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 am

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
A way better name would be "What-happens-in-Vegas" International Airport

Only if your flight gets cancelled!!
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

KLASM83

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:27 am

This will take some getting used to, but as long as IATA/ICAO stays LAS/KLAS (which it will), I am agnostic to the change. But, man, all that sign change money, though...
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

atcsundevil

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
On a related note, do ATC employees care about DCA being renamed Reagan?

I work arrivals to DCA and have only ever referred to it as National. I'm a local, so I predate the name change, but we all call it National. At this point, I don't think it's ill will towards Reagan; it's generally how most longtime locals still refer to the airport. Reagan era guys pre and post PATCO are all long gone. Obviously we're aware of the legacy, but it's generally far enough removed from most of us that it's pretty irrelevant. The White Book? That's a different story...much more recent history there, and still plenty of harsh feelings.

Technically speaking, the current name for LAS if issuing a clearance would be "the McCarran Airport", so if it's by the book, that will have to change. In a colloquial sense, it's more likely going to be "...vectors for sequencing to Vegas." Issuing a clearance requires more specificity for legal reasons, so it can't be "Las Vegas" because it's isn't the only airport in Vegas. It will have to be " the Reid Airport" or "KILO-LIMA-ALPHA-SIERRA Airport", so in that sense, it does matter.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am

WayexTDI wrote:
And the locals either refer to it as . . . or Hartfield-Jackson

....sure Jan.

atcsundevil wrote:
I work arrivals to DCA and have only ever referred to it as National. I'm a local, so I predate the name change, but we all call it National. At this point, I don't think it's ill will towards Reagan; it's generally how most longtime locals still refer to the airport.

:checkmark: Same thing with "Sears" Tower.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ckfred

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:52 am

I know a lot of people who refer to DCA as National and not Reagan National, including loyal Republicans. It's the same with ATL. A lot of people still say Hartsfield and not Hartsfield-Jackson. A lot of people refer to IAH as Intercontinental and not Bush Intercontinental, especially since the airport code starts with the letter I.

A friend of mine grew up in Grand Rapids. He still calls GRR Kent County International, even though it was renamed for Gerald Ford several decades ago.

And I just learned a few weeks ago that Standiford Field in Louisville has been renamed for Muhammed Ali.

Name changes are tough sells. People in Chicago still say the Sears Tower, Comisky Park, and Standard Oil Building, even though all of them have gone through name changes. The John Hancock Building is currently 875 North Michigan Avenue, and the building owners ask people to not call it the Hancock, since the insurance company no longer owns the building or has offices in the building.

I think a lot of people will refer to LAS as McCarren, despite the name change.

The problem gets to be that the person in city history who pushed for a municipal airport may not have the best history. So, do we name an airport for someone who doesn't have any sort of criminal or moral lapses, or for the less likable person who saw the need for a municipal airport?

Even Butch O'Hare doesn't have the best history. While he was a war hero, having been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, he grew up in St. Louis, since his parents separated. His father was Al Capone's accountant. He supposed cooperated with the Feds, in part for getting Butch appointed to Annapolis.

crownvic

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 am

I just spent the past week in Vegas and let me tell you, people on both sides of the political side are NOT happy with this renaming. Many understood the reason for dropping the McCarren name as things are just too sensitive now, but nearly nobody favored renaming it Harry Reid. Despite what some may have read about him, Vegas did not become Vegas because of Harry Reid. As others have pointed out, you can thank Moe Dalitz, Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky (ironically all Jews!) along with Howard Hughes for really creating Vegas. The local politicians that were in bed with Reid pushed this through without input and the backlash has been locally quite loud.

SRGVA67

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:29 am

SwissCanuck wrote:
It's case by case not sure why there's an argument. For instance, in my old back yard, YYZ is called "Pearson" by pretty much everyone. However, few call YUL "Trudeau" as it was called Dorval forever. YOW is usually "YOW" or "The airport" the "John A McDonald" never really stuck. GVA is GVA, but ZRH is definitely Kloten.

Sorry to contradict you, GVA is always referred to as "Cointrin" by the locals the same as you correctly mentionned ZRH being called Kloten.

ro1960

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am

WayexTDI wrote:

For CDG, "maybe" it's because it is actually located in Roissy-en-France??? So, it wasn't named for anything else than it's geographical location. The project started as Paris Nord in 1964.

Indeed it's because it's partially located in Roissy-en-France. The name "Roissy" is used by locals when referring to CDG. It's also used in bus and rail connection naming. Roissy Rail is no longer used and the future train connection (now delayed to 2025) is called CDG-Express.

Do not compensate for the lack of skills with a surplus of opinion.

Revelation

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm

ckfred wrote:
Name changes are tough sells. People in Chicago still say the Sears Tower, Comisky Park, and Standard Oil Building, even though all of them have gone through name changes. The John Hancock Building is currently 875 North Michigan Avenue, and the building owners ask people to not call it the Hancock, since the insurance company no longer owns the building or has offices in the building.

Of course they are. It's as if a parent woke up one morning and told their kid, "We used to call you Johnny, but now we're going to call you Joey". It's silly and self indulgent.

Of course, if it's 1945 and you wake up and tell your kid "We used to call you Adolph, but now we're going to call you Albert" maybe you have a point.

In this case, the parents woke up and said "We used to call you Adolph, now we're going to call you Benito".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DL717

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Bugsy Siegel

It’s Vegas. You’re allowed to have an old school mobster name for your airport.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

SwissCanuck

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:21 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:
It's case by case not sure why there's an argument. For instance, in my old back yard, YYZ is called "Pearson" by pretty much everyone. However, few call YUL "Trudeau" as it was called Dorval forever. YOW is usually "YOW" or "The airport" the "John A McDonald" never really stuck. GVA is GVA, but ZRH is definitely Kloten.

Sorry to contradict you, GVA is always referred to as "Cointrin" by the locals the same as you correctly mentionned ZRH being called Kloten.

Vous avez raison monsieur :) (he's right). But that's more in French. GVA in English, because no non-francophone can pronounce "Cointrin" properly :)

But you are absolutely correct and I stand corrected!

BroadwayLimited

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:04 pm

Airports, roadways, and government buildings should not be named for politicians. I have said it numerous times, they should be named after a serviceman who died in battle, defending the United States.
Signed up for Delta and Eastern Frequent Flyer Programs August 30, 1981.

ER757

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Utah744 wrote:

Yeah, when I started reading the thread, my first thought was why not Wayne Newton International Airport but you beat me to it :D

kiowa

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm

SESGDL wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Jeremy

I have an issue with naming anything after a politician.

scbriml

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:12 pm

ER757 wrote:
Utah744 wrote:

Yeah, when I started reading the thread, my first thought was why not Wayne Newton International Airport but you beat me to it :D

How about...

Las Vegas Shenandoah International? :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rampbro

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:44 pm

Quick question - are there still slot-equipped smoking lounges at LAS? Something like "connect here and hack a butt airside" international.

No joke - I routed YYJ-YVR-LAS-PHL once on a business trip so I buddy and I could hack butts and gamble in the airport for 45 minutes. The downside was the last leg - US redeye on a high-cap 321.....

JFKCMILAXFLL

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:44 pm

I just refer to airports by their IATA codes. Problem solved! :mrgreen:

atpg5

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:28 pm

I am a fired PATCO Chicago Center Controller. Reagan fired me and tried his best to send nineteen strikers to prison. He succeeded imprisoning two of us. So no, I do not refer to DCA as Reagan. Wait, I would not be a Gulfstream 550 Captain if it weren't for Reagan - thanks Nancy for being acting President in 1981.

PS Can I get the last ten minutes of my life back?
All gave some....Some gave all

wxtech

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Change McCarran to Mccarron. Political figure to Jockey.

Veigar

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:48 pm

Bugsy airport has a nice ring to it!

Lootess

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Many in France do say DeGaulle, because Orly exists. Which apparently some people here don’t seem to know.

Second, LAS isn’t even in Las Vegas. It is in Paradise, NV

jetwet1

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm

rampbro wrote:
Quick question - are there still slot-equipped smoking lounges at LAS? Something like "connect here and hack a butt airside" international.

Yep, all terminals have them.

FiscAutTecGarte

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:12 pm

DL717 wrote:
Bugsy Siegel

It’s Vegas. You’re allowed to have an old school mobster name for your airport.

That's hard to argue with... I will grant you that...
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

Revelation

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:28 pm

Lootess wrote:
It is in Paradise, NV

Talking about a bad choice in names...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mga707

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:41 pm

Lootess wrote:
Many in France do say DeGaulle, because Orly exists. Which apparently some people here don’t seem to know.

Technically, it is in Clark County. The area around the airport is called Paradise, but it is unincorporated. But correct that the airport is outside of the corporate limits of the City of Las Vegas.

mga707

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Revelation wrote:
Lootess wrote:
It is in Paradise, NV

Talking about a bad choice in names...

Why? Vegas metro would not be one of the fastest-growing areas of the U.S. if people did not want to live there.

Lootess

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm

mga707 wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Technically, it is in Clark County. The area around the airport is called Paradise, but it is unincorporated. But correct that the airport is outside of the corporate limits of the City of Las Vegas.

They do say Clark County - McCarran International Airport on the signage. But in DOT documentation it is Paradise for city purposes.

Its also why airports are named SeaTac and Detroit Metro. Their metro have no control of their names, since they aren’t in themselves respective cities. There is no reason to relinquish control of naming to something lame like Seattle or Las Vegas Int’l if you are the SeaTac commission, Port of Seattle, or Clark County for that matter.

Basically lot of airports are not ‘owned’ by the metro cities. Mostly county or another city board.

WayexTDI

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:32 pm

BroadwayLimited wrote:
Airports, roadways, and government buildings should not be named for politicians. I have said it numerous times, they should be named after a serviceman who died in battle, defending the United States.

That would also open up to issues later on.

ikramerica

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:36 am

scbriml wrote:
AlexBrewster03 wrote:
I don’t see anything wrong with renaming an airport to honor a fantastic local politician...

Yeah, all we need to do now is find said politician...

Well yeah, the problem is that what does “local” mean? Vegas is an international airport meant to welcome many, and whatever Reid did for Nevada, he was also a nationally divisive politician known for dirty tricks, lying and vendettas.

Name the road after him. The airport? No. Using the current climate of cultural cleansing to replace one divisive figure with another is foolish.

If you want a new divisive figure, why not Sinatra or someone like that?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

micstatic

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 pm

Vegas has been hammered by the tourism covid related downturn. Why somebody would think now is a good time to spend a large amount of money changing signs etc is beyond crazy right now.

Lootess

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 pm

micstatic wrote:
Vegas has been hammered by the tourism covid related downturn. Why somebody would think now is a good time to spend a large amount of money changing signs etc is beyond crazy right now.

Anti-Semitic movement, removing racists from our history is a bargain.

Chuska

Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 am

I say name it for Carole Lombard, the actress killed when TWA flight 3 slammed into Potosi Mountain after takeoff from Las Vegas in 1942.

ctrabs0114

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 am

Bricktop wrote:
Those are names with longer historical timeframes. Even out-of-towners call Logan Logan. But does anyone refer to BWI as Thurgood Marshall, or Newark as Newark Liberty? I propose the latter as the stupidest most worthless name change ever.

Or for BWI, how many people still called it "Friendship" (which, IIRC, was the original, or at the very least, a previous name for BWI)? I've always called it either Baltimore or BWI.

And I get the reasoning behind EWR being "Newark Liberty" - which was motivated as a memorial post-9/11 - but I still simply call it Newark.

While we're at it, why don't we just bring back the "Mid Continent International Airport" moniker for Kansas City (MCI)?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:15 am

BAINY3 wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:
I wonder how many people in the Twin Cities even know the name “Wold-Chamberlin Field”? Not many, I bet. The name is very old.

I heard my grandpa call it that once, and that's it. He was probably 80 at the time.

But in a much more recent sense, it's still pretty common to call the terminals "Lindbergh" and "Humphrey" even though they officially got renamed to T1 and T2 many years ago now.

Even Metro Transit referred to the MSP Terminals as Lindbergh and Humphrey on the Green Line light rail line in their respective station names (that was as of about 4-5 years ago, which was my last time through MSP).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)

ctrabs0114

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:25 am

ckfred wrote:

Especially Comiskey Park ... I rarely have ever called an existing venue with a new name by it's "sellout" name (ie. Cleveland's Jacobs Field and Gund Arena; Rosemont's Horizon; etc.). I still refer to the Kennedy/Dan Ryan (90/94) interchange with the Eisenhower (290) as the "Circle Interchange" instead of the Jane Byrne Interchange (full disclosure: I'm obviously not a Chicago resident but I've been through the city enough times to refer to everything by old names... don't ask).

Even Butch O'Hare doesn't have the best history. While he was a war hero, having been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, he grew up in St. Louis, since his parents separated. His father was Al Capone's accountant. He supposed cooperated with the Feds, in part for getting Butch appointed to Annapolis.

You can't pick your parents. I don't think it's fair to hold the sins of the father against the son (that and I shudder to think that one day, some Alderman will come up with a scheme to rename ORD after one of the Mayor Daleys).

BAINY3

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:

Even Metro Transit referred to the MSP Terminals as Lindbergh and Humphrey on the Green Line light rail line in their respective station names (that was as of about 4-5 years ago, which was my last time through MSP).

Blue Line, not Green (which is the one that connects the two Downtowns), but yes they still do that. It's "Terminal 1-Lindbergh Station" and "Terminal 2-Humphrey Station."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos