Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N766UA

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:57 am

ethernal wrote:
SuperGee wrote:
They were fortunate that it happened when and where it did and not over the pacific halfway to HNL.

I would argue the opposite. The most risky point for the passengers (the initial explosion) had already passed. It would have been better to have happened in the middle of the ocean. The probability of debris hitting someone on the ground is far higher than the enormous statistical improbability of the second engine failing in the three hours to HNL (or back to the mainland).

What is lucky is that no one was hit by debris.

LOL I’m sorry, you’d rather be on fire in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?? That engine burned all the way to the ground; what are you even talking about??

303dk

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
Would this be an NTSB or FAA investigation?

NTSB.

I don't think the FAA directly investigates accidents or incidents primarily. The NTSB can enroll the FAA to investigate UA if any negligence is suspected.

The NTSB investigators based at BJC made it to scene quickly

alasizon

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

NTSB.

I don't think the FAA directly investigates accidents or incidents primarily. The NTSB can enroll the FAA to investigate UA if any negligence is suspected.

Someone from the DEN FSDO will actively investigate alongside the NTSB as well - I'm not sure what they contribute overall though - I just know they do their own investigation.

CALTECH

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:06 am

Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....

litz

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:18 am

CALTECH wrote:

If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?

303dk

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:23 am

litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?

The incident was over the plains, 12 miles from DEN. Could be almost anything.

Yeastbeast

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:28 am

PA727 wrote:
Thankfully everyone on the plane and on the ground is safe, but have to go ahead and call the truck a write-off. Looks to be a late 90's-early 2000's build Ram, so equivalent of a 737 Classic. Think her next stop is soup cans. :D

Adipocere wrote:
Video of homeowners likely totaled truck

https://www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comment ... oded_over/

Nah, some buffing, and a couple strips of speed tape, good as new! ;)

teampokey

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 am

Newark727 wrote:
If a piece of an airplane engine falls from the sky and lands in your backyard, are you allowed to keep it?

"@CrimeADay: 49 USC §1155(b) makes it a federal crime to knowingly keep or hide a part of a civil aircraft that was involved in an accident, unless you're authorized to."
https://twitter.com/CrimeADay/status/13 ... 3504581633

Yeastbeast

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:34 am

TropicalSky wrote:
look rather bad in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wgXNSwCDA

I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.

CWL757

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 am

Newark727 wrote:
If a piece of an airplane engine falls from the sky and lands in your backyard, are you allowed to keep it?

No. Firstly it's illegal, secondly the NTSB will need all the evidence they can get for this investigation. This is one of those incidents that obviously get even more of an investigation than a normal engine failure in my opinion. These engine explosions seem to be getting more and more common lately.

ubeema

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 am

gwrudolph wrote:
alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:

My understanding is that you generally file with your primary insurance carrier, they pay, and subrogate

Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.

Fair enough. Being proactive given the publicity is likely the approach that will be taken . . .

Agree with alasizon. UA priority should be to minimize lawsuits and PR disaster. Letting homeowners figure this out on their own will cost them money and time. Deductible could be multiple thousands. This is what generally leads to frustration and lawsuits.

mkorpal333

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 am

litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.

OldB747Driver

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:50 am

Yeastbeast wrote:
I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.

There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.

CALTECH

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:52 am

Hearing you could see all the way through the engine front to back, that much blade damage.Will see the photos tomorrow. Seems like something of the bird/debris went into the core. Doesn't take much to damage the blades and destroy the core. Everything shells out.
Memories of the Honolulu 777 engine incident, that was a fan blade crack not caught......

http://aerossurance.com/safety-manageme ... w4077-fbo/

wjcandee

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:54 am

Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.

You make a claim to your own insurance, and provide them with the information, and they notify United's insurance company, which will pay them virtually-immediately because there's no reason to fight it. If they pay the claim (or often even just accept liability (i.e. agree to pay the claim)), you get the deductible back.

Just like with auto insurance. Person rear ends me in traffic. Person admits to police that they were momentarily-distracted and that I was already stopped. Police are kind enough to include that admission in the police report. I give said report to my insurer. I take the car to the body shop of my choice and my insurer coordinates with them and the job gets done. Because the person who hit me's insurer had already called my insurer and accepted liability, I don't have to lay out my deductible and get it back later; it's taken care of by the time my car is fixed. Easy-peasy.

RyanairGuru

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 am

wjcandee wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.

You make a claim to your own insurance, and provide them with the information, and they notify United's insurance company, which will pay them virtually-immediately because there's no reason to fight it. If they pay the claim (or often even just accept liability (i.e. agree to pay the claim)), you get the deductible back.

Just like with auto insurance. Person rear ends me in traffic. Person admits to police that they were momentarily-distracted and that I was already stopped. Police are kind enough to include that admission in the police report. I give said report to my insurer. I take the car to the body shop of my choice and my insurer coordinates with them and the job gets done. Because the person who hit me's insurer had already called my insurer and accepted liability, I don't have to lay out my deductible and get it back later; it's taken care of by the time my car is fixed. Easy-peasy.

In this instance I agree with those above, United PR and legal will be all over it. Give the home owner a brand new Ram, coupled with a covenant not to sue. Probably a lot cheaper for United in the long run, as some lawyer will be sure to file an emotional distress claim.

mga707

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:34 am

alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

My understanding is that you generally file with your primary insurance carrier, they pay, and subrogate

Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.

United could have a PR 'win' if they buy this homeowner a loaded 2021 Ram.

Aaron747

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:39 am

mga707 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:

That would be a cheaper PR win than paying several PR staff salaries for the year.

mga707

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 am

mkorpal333 wrote:
litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.

And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird or birds, if that is what caused it, was/were only 6-7,000ft. in the air.
Last edited by mga707 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:45 am

mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:
litz wrote:

And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird, if that is what caused it, was only 6-7,000ft. in the air.

Here in Colorado we are smack dab in the middle of Sandhill crane migration.

mga707

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 am

Spacepope wrote:
mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:

And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird, if that is what caused it, was only 6-7,000ft. in the air.

Didn't know that had started yet. Thousands of the cranes spend winter just an hour east of me, at the Willcox Playa (dry lake) in SE Arizona. Drove over to see them just two weekends ago. Impressive!

mkorpal333

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:54 am

Spacepope wrote:
mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:

The geese might also be on the move.

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:09 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

NTSB.

No. NTSB doesn’t attribute fault. That’s one of the things that makes the system work.

jjbiv

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
mga707 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

That would be a cheaper PR win than paying several PR staff salaries for the year.

This could be a smart move from a PR perspective but could also set an expensive precedent. I would be very surprised to see UA or their insurer pay more than the cash value of the old truck (before it was damaged, obviously) plus costs related to cleaning up the property and fixing any damage.

FlyHossD

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:47 am

OldB747Driver wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:

There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.

Engine oil would be my guess.

And there are plenty of geese around Denver. I passed through DEN 2 days ago and observed Canadian Geese overflying the airport.

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:01 am

FlyHossD wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:

And there are plenty of geese around Denver. I passed through DEN 2 days ago and observed Canadian Geese overflying the airport.

Geese are EVERYWHERE in Denver. You can see flocks of almost 100 of them miles away. I live across the highway from Centennial airport south of Denver and the geese love to congregate under those runways. I swear an incident is bound to happen with geese in Denver.

303dk

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:

Geese are EVERYWHERE in Denver. You can see flocks of almost 100 of them miles away. I live across the highway from Centennial airport south of Denver and the geese love to congregate under those runways. I swear an incident is bound to happen with geese in Denver.

True. And the service ceiling on a Canada Goose is 29,000 ft

Blerg

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:18 am

Looking at the debris flying all around and with the 'flames' in the engines, how much of a risk was all that to the landing gear? I can imagine a piece of debris could have pierced one of the tires.

WayexTDI

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:28 am

Adipocere wrote:

Well, it depends on a few factors:
- if his truck is recent or has a loan on it, then it has full coverage. His insurance would reimburse him for the truck (under the full coverage policy) then file with the at-fault party and deal with them directly, returning his deductible in the process;
- if his truck just has liability, or if he doesn't want to involve his insurance (not sure why he wouldn't), then he can file directly with UAL's insurance. This is most likely a lengthy process.

OKCDCA

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 am

Was it ever reported how many passengers were on board? Listening to the ATC recordings, number of souls was asked for but it didn’t sound like the pilots had time to report it...

That leads to my next question: How are passengers who might not want to get on the replacement aircraft treated in this situation? I assume UA will put up anyone who might not want to get back on a plane right away. How long though before they tell you to either catch a flight to HNL or back to your original destination if you were connecting in DEN? I assume they’ll cover any costs for passengers who might have missed out on plans in HNL if they didn’t want to get on the plane?

WayexTDI

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 am

sxf24 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

I hope so!

Technically, it still belongs to its rightful owner.
On top of that, the Feds would most likely seize it due to the investigation that will be launched.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

- if his truck is recent or has a loan on it, then it has full coverage. His insurance would reimburse him for the truck (under the full coverage policy) then file with the at-fault party and deal with them directly, returning his deductible in the process;
- if his truck just has liability, or if he doesn't want to involve his insurance (not sure why he wouldn't), then he can file directly with UAL's insurance. This is most likely a lengthy process.

There is always the concern that the property owner will be penalized by their insurance for United’s raining down of debris, through absolutely no fault of their own. They can also reasonably infer that United forced new hardships on them by this. Colorado people know they probably have already contacted someone like Azar to ensure they get what they feel is owed to them.

WayexTDI

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 am

Spacepope wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

There is always the concern that the property owner will be penalized by their insurance for United’s raining down of debris, through absolutely no fault of their own. They can also reasonably infer that United forced new hardships on them by this. Colorado people know they probably have already contacted someone like Azar to ensure they get what they feel is owed to them.

Insurance adjusters work off the same set of data; UAL's insurance adjuster might be slightly below the truck owner's, but not by that much. In both case, he'll most likely get less than what he'd expect.
UAL, however, might decide to sweeten the deal to ease on the PR issue, as was mentioned earlier.

nm2582

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 am

with regards to the truck replacement... given the rarity of parts falling out of the sky from airplanes with uncontained engine failures, united would be better off sending a nice limo to ferry the owner to a dealership of his choice to pick out a new pickup of his choice - and let him keep the cowling to hang in his garage (or whatever) as a memento, too. a couple free round trips for the family to round out the deal, and I'd think most folks would be quite happy with their "fortune" and not cause any legal challenges.

FluidFlow

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:06 am

nm2582 wrote:
with regards to the truck replacement... given the rarity of parts falling out of the sky from airplanes with uncontained engine failures, united would be better off sending a nice limo to ferry the owner to a dealership of his choice to pick out a new pickup of his choice - and let him keep the cowling to hang in his garage (or whatever) as a memento, too. a couple free round trips for the family to round out the deal, and I'd think most folks would be quite happy with their "fortune" and not cause any legal challenges.

To be fair chances are Uniteds deductible will be pretty high so they most probably pay for the truck anyway. So they only have to decide if they want to cheap out and pay the time adjusted value or if they want to replace the truck.

tcfc424

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am

Lawyers are expensive. If they can give this guy $100K and cut the majority of the lawyers out, they'll save hundreds of thousands...and gain some goodwill points at the same time. You don't want the Denver (or Broomfield) city councils raising a stink about flight paths. I know a city council would have a huge uphill battle trying to change air traffic routes...but that would involve even more lawyers and more cost. Honestly, if they could get out of this for under a million, it'd probably be a significant win.

RB211trent

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 am

CALTECH wrote:

More like HP turbine disk failure

USAirKid

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am

303dk wrote:
True. And the service ceiling on a Canada Goose is 29,000 ft

I think Bombardier has started offering them with an extended service ceiling of 42,000 ft, but the pilot doesn’t like wearing the oxygen mask all the time.

lowbank

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 am

gwrudolph wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

Is the engine still powering or just windmilling in this video. It looks like it is still powering?

Looks like a fan blade off to me, the engine is windmilling in the unbalanced condition that occurs.

pugman211

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 am

lowbank wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

Is the engine still powering or just windmilling in this video. It looks like it is still powering?

Looks like a fan blade off to me, the engine is windmilling in the unbalanced condition that occurs.

Definitely a blade off and more looking at the photo on AVH

dtw2hyd

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:24 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
In this instance I agree with those above, United PR and legal will be all over it. Give the home owner a brand new Ram, coupled with a covenant not to sue. Probably a lot cheaper for United in the long run, as some lawyer will be sure to file an emotional distress claim.

The best option is to do everything by the book, in a couple of days media will move on to next breaking news. Looking at the blanket coverage any move will trigger new news cycle.

Damn ubiquitous 4K smartphones, in the old days I will believe it when I see it worked perfectly.

mawelsh

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm

CNN anchor summarized event as "heavy engine failure" after hearing "...United 328 heavy, mayday. Aircraft just experienced an engine failure..."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/02/2 ... nr-vpx.cnn

smokeybandit
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:03 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Was it ever reported how many passengers were on board? Listening to the ATC recordings, number of souls was asked for but it didn’t sound like the pilots had time to report it...

That leads to my next question: How are passengers who might not want to get on the replacement aircraft treated in this situation? I assume UA will put up anyone who might not want to get back on a plane right away. How long though before they tell you to either catch a flight to HNL or back to your original destination if you were connecting in DEN? I assume they’ll cover any costs for passengers who might have missed out on plans in HNL if they didn’t want to get on the plane?

231+crew.

USAirALB

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:35 pm

mawelsh wrote:
CNN anchor summarized event as "heavy engine failure" after hearing "...United 328 heavy, mayday. Aircraft just experienced an engine failure..."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/02/2 ... nr-vpx.cnn

I'm glad I am not the only one who caught that as well. I was kind of upset the aviation "expert" didn't correct her but oh well.

rising

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:37 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
tcfc424 wrote:
Lawyers are expensive. If they can give this guy $100K and cut the majority of the lawyers out, they'll save hundreds of thousands...and gain some goodwill points at the same time. You don't want the Denver (or Broomfield) city councils raising a stink about flight paths. I know a city council would have a huge uphill battle trying to change air traffic routes...but that would involve even more lawyers and more cost. Honestly, if they could get out of this for under a million, it'd probably be a significant win.

I hope the truck owner makes them throw in a Global Services membership. Replace my truck and give that, id be good.

Galore

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:45 pm

ubeema wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Fair enough. Being proactive given the publicity is likely the approach that will be taken . . .

Agree with alasizon. UA priority should be to minimize lawsuits and PR disaster. Letting homeowners figure this out on their own will cost them money and time. Deductible could be multiple thousands. This is what generally leads to frustration and lawsuits.

At this point, I expect UA to offer time limited vouchers (*see fine print for terms and conditions).

SuseJ772

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:49 pm

Spacepope wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:
Just from a quick gander, reasonable possibility of cowling/de-ice overpressure precipitating catastrophic engine failure?

The kevlar shroud that surrounds the first stage fan blades (as well as the blades themselves AND they're still rotating in the video) seems to imply the failure was external to the compression/ combustion cycle even though the hot section seems to be burning, most likely from the interrupted cooling flow in the normal combustion process. Also the front end of the cowl appears to have separated in its entirety, not shredded as the result of internal failure.

One thing about being on this site for a long time is you tend to know who really knows their stuff, and in this case CALTECH really has good insider info. If he says bird strike, I would believe him.

Likely scenario is bird causes fan blade to detach, causing this whole wobbly cascade of nacelle disintegration and possibly also downstream ingestion of meat and other engine parts.

Agree whole heartedly on both sentiments. It was easier back in the day with the RR raining by everyone. But if you’ve been here as long as you and I have, you know to trust CALTECH on United Maintenance related information.

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:53 pm

mga707 wrote:
And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird or birds, if that is what caused it, was/were only 6-7,000ft. in the air.

So you think any bird can fly over Mt Everest because it will only be 1,000 feet 'in the air' at 30K feet?

SuseJ772

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:58 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Hearing you could see all the way through the engine front to back, that much blade damage.Will see the photos tomorrow. Seems like something of the bird/debris went into the core. Doesn't take much to damage the blades and destroy the core. Everything shells out.
Memories of the Honolulu 777 engine incident, that was a fan blade crack not caught......

http://aerossurance.com/safety-manageme ... w4077-fbo/

Thanks for this. You really do make this site a better place and still a remnant of what it was in the old days.

SuseJ772

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mga707 wrote:

So you think any bird can fly over Mt Everest because it will only be 1,000 feet 'in the air' at 30K feet?

I am pretty sure he meant in the air as “AGL”. At least that is how I took it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos