Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13
 
N766UA
Posts: 8401
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:50 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:57 am

ethernal wrote:
SuperGee wrote:
They were fortunate that it happened when and where it did and not over the pacific halfway to HNL.


I would argue the opposite. The most risky point for the passengers (the initial explosion) had already passed. It would have been better to have happened in the middle of the ocean. The probability of debris hitting someone on the ground is far higher than the enormous statistical improbability of the second engine failing in the three hours to HNL (or back to the mainland).

What is lucky is that no one was hit by debris.


LOL I’m sorry, you’d rather be on fire in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?? That engine burned all the way to the ground; what are you even talking about??
 
303dk
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
Would this be an NTSB or FAA investigation?


NTSB.

I don't think the FAA directly investigates accidents or incidents primarily. The NTSB can enroll the FAA to investigate UA if any negligence is suspected.

The NTSB investigators based at BJC made it to scene quickly
 
alasizon
Posts: 3040
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
Would this be an NTSB or FAA investigation?


NTSB.

I don't think the FAA directly investigates accidents or incidents primarily. The NTSB can enroll the FAA to investigate UA if any negligence is suspected.


Someone from the DEN FSDO will actively investigate alongside the NTSB as well - I'm not sure what they contribute overall though - I just know they do their own investigation.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3523
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:06 am

Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....
You are here.
 
User avatar
litz
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:01 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:18 am

CALTECH wrote:
Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....


If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?
 
303dk
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:23 am

litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....


If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?

The incident was over the plains, 12 miles from DEN. Could be almost anything.
 
Yeastbeast
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:28 am

PA727 wrote:
Thankfully everyone on the plane and on the ground is safe, but have to go ahead and call the truck a write-off. Looks to be a late 90's-early 2000's build Ram, so equivalent of a 737 Classic. Think her next stop is soup cans. :D

Adipocere wrote:
Video of homeowners likely totaled truck

https://www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comment ... oded_over/

Nah, some buffing, and a couple strips of speed tape, good as new! ;)
Brewers make the wort, the yeast makes the beer.
 
teampokey
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 am

Newark727 wrote:
If a piece of an airplane engine falls from the sky and lands in your backyard, are you allowed to keep it?


"@CrimeADay: 49 USC §1155(b) makes it a federal crime to knowingly keep or hide a part of a civil aircraft that was involved in an accident, unless you're authorized to."
https://twitter.com/CrimeADay/status/13 ... 3504581633
 
Yeastbeast
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:34 am

TropicalSky wrote:
look rather bad in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wgXNSwCDA

I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.
Brewers make the wort, the yeast makes the beer.
 
CWL757
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 am

Newark727 wrote:
If a piece of an airplane engine falls from the sky and lands in your backyard, are you allowed to keep it?

No. Firstly it's illegal, secondly the NTSB will need all the evidence they can get for this investigation. This is one of those incidents that obviously get even more of an investigation than a normal engine failure in my opinion. These engine explosions seem to be getting more and more common lately.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22
 
ubeema
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:48 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 am

gwrudolph wrote:
alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:


My understanding is that you generally file with your primary insurance carrier, they pay, and subrogate


Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.



Fair enough. Being proactive given the publicity is likely the approach that will be taken . . .

Agree with alasizon. UA priority should be to minimize lawsuits and PR disaster. Letting homeowners figure this out on their own will cost them money and time. Deductible could be multiple thousands. This is what generally leads to frustration and lawsuits.
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 am

litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....


If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?


The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.
 
OldB747Driver
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:50 am

Yeastbeast wrote:
I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.

There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3523
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:52 am

Hearing you could see all the way through the engine front to back, that much blade damage.Will see the photos tomorrow. Seems like something of the bird/debris went into the core. Doesn't take much to damage the blades and destroy the core. Everything shells out.
Memories of the Honolulu 777 engine incident, that was a fan blade crack not caught......

http://aerossurance.com/safety-manageme ... w4077-fbo/

Image

Image

Image
You are here.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 10667
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:54 am

Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.


You make a claim to your own insurance, and provide them with the information, and they notify United's insurance company, which will pay them virtually-immediately because there's no reason to fight it. If they pay the claim (or often even just accept liability (i.e. agree to pay the claim)), you get the deductible back.

Just like with auto insurance. Person rear ends me in traffic. Person admits to police that they were momentarily-distracted and that I was already stopped. Police are kind enough to include that admission in the police report. I give said report to my insurer. I take the car to the body shop of my choice and my insurer coordinates with them and the job gets done. Because the person who hit me's insurer had already called my insurer and accepted liability, I don't have to lay out my deductible and get it back later; it's taken care of by the time my car is fixed. Easy-peasy.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8686
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 am

wjcandee wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.


You make a claim to your own insurance, and provide them with the information, and they notify United's insurance company, which will pay them virtually-immediately because there's no reason to fight it. If they pay the claim (or often even just accept liability (i.e. agree to pay the claim)), you get the deductible back.

Just like with auto insurance. Person rear ends me in traffic. Person admits to police that they were momentarily-distracted and that I was already stopped. Police are kind enough to include that admission in the police report. I give said report to my insurer. I take the car to the body shop of my choice and my insurer coordinates with them and the job gets done. Because the person who hit me's insurer had already called my insurer and accepted liability, I don't have to lay out my deductible and get it back later; it's taken care of by the time my car is fixed. Easy-peasy.


In this instance I agree with those above, United PR and legal will be all over it. Give the home owner a brand new Ram, coupled with a covenant not to sue. Probably a lot cheaper for United in the long run, as some lawyer will be sure to file an emotional distress claim.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
mga707
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:34 am

alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.



My understanding is that you generally file with your primary insurance carrier, they pay, and subrogate


Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.


United could have a PR 'win' if they buy this homeowner a loaded 2021 Ram.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15645
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:39 am

mga707 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:


My understanding is that you generally file with your primary insurance carrier, they pay, and subrogate


Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.


United could have a PR 'win' if they buy this homeowner a loaded 2021 Ram.


That would be a cheaper PR win than paying several PR staff salaries for the year.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
mga707
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 am

mkorpal333 wrote:
litz wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....


If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?


The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.


And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird or birds, if that is what caused it, was/were only 6-7,000ft. in the air.
Last edited by mga707 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:45 am

mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:
litz wrote:

If so that had to be quite the bird. What can get up that high over the Rockies?


The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.


And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird, if that is what caused it, was only 6-7,000ft. in the air.


Here in Colorado we are smack dab in the middle of Sandhill crane migration.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
mga707
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 am

Spacepope wrote:
mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:

The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.


And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird, if that is what caused it, was only 6-7,000ft. in the air.


Here in Colorado we are smack dab in the middle of Sandhill crane migration.


Didn't know that had started yet. Thousands of the cranes spend winter just an hour east of me, at the Willcox Playa (dry lake) in SE Arizona. Drove over to see them just two weekends ago. Impressive!
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:54 am

Spacepope wrote:
mga707 wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:

The strike (assuming it was) was at about 12,000 feet. Plenty of birds can fly that high.


And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird, if that is what caused it, was only 6-7,000ft. in the air.


Here in Colorado we are smack dab in the middle of Sandhill crane migration.


The geese might also be on the move.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15268
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:09 am

StarAC17 wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
Would this be an NTSB or FAA investigation?


NTSB.

I don't think the FAA directly investigates accidents or incidents primarily. The NTSB can enroll the FAA to investigate UA if any negligence is suspected.


No. NTSB doesn’t attribute fault. That’s one of the things that makes the system work.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
jjbiv
Posts: 1305
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:58 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
mga707 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.


United could have a PR 'win' if they buy this homeowner a loaded 2021 Ram.


That would be a cheaper PR win than paying several PR staff salaries for the year.


This could be a smart move from a PR perspective but could also set an expensive precedent. I would be very surprised to see UA or their insurer pay more than the cash value of the old truck (before it was damaged, obviously) plus costs related to cleaning up the property and fixing any damage.
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:47 am

OldB747Driver wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:
I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.

There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.


Engine oil would be my guess.

And there are plenty of geese around Denver. I passed through DEN 2 days ago and observed Canadian Geese overflying the airport.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7692
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:01 am

FlyHossD wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:
I am a totally unknowledgeable internet nerd. My question on that video is: I'm assuming the flight crew would have the fuel shut off by that point, why is that section still glowing orange? Residual heat? Residual fuel still pouring in through a cut fuel line? Just wondering.

There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.


Engine oil would be my guess.

And there are plenty of geese around Denver. I passed through DEN 2 days ago and observed Canadian Geese overflying the airport.

Geese are EVERYWHERE in Denver. You can see flocks of almost 100 of them miles away. I live across the highway from Centennial airport south of Denver and the geese love to congregate under those runways. I swear an incident is bound to happen with geese in Denver.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
303dk
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:
There are other "consumables" that would burn if the temperature is hot enough - some who are intimately familiar with that particular engine are saying the residual fuel, hydraulic fluid, engine oil and the thrust reverser cascade assembly, which is a carbon fiber component.


Engine oil would be my guess.

And there are plenty of geese around Denver. I passed through DEN 2 days ago and observed Canadian Geese overflying the airport.

Geese are EVERYWHERE in Denver. You can see flocks of almost 100 of them miles away. I live across the highway from Centennial airport south of Denver and the geese love to congregate under those runways. I swear an incident is bound to happen with geese in Denver.

True. And the service ceiling on a Canada Goose is 29,000 ft
 
Blerg
Posts: 4995
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:18 am

Looking at the debris flying all around and with the 'flames' in the engines, how much of a risk was all that to the landing gear? I can imagine a piece of debris could have pierced one of the tires.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:28 am

Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.

Well, it depends on a few factors:
- if his truck is recent or has a loan on it, then it has full coverage. His insurance would reimburse him for the truck (under the full coverage policy) then file with the at-fault party and deal with them directly, returning his deductible in the process;
- if his truck just has liability, or if he doesn't want to involve his insurance (not sure why he wouldn't), then he can file directly with UAL's insurance. This is most likely a lengthy process.
 
OKCDCA
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 am

Was it ever reported how many passengers were on board? Listening to the ATC recordings, number of souls was asked for but it didn’t sound like the pilots had time to report it...

That leads to my next question: How are passengers who might not want to get on the replacement aircraft treated in this situation? I assume UA will put up anyone who might not want to get back on a plane right away. How long though before they tell you to either catch a flight to HNL or back to your original destination if you were connecting in DEN? I assume they’ll cover any costs for passengers who might have missed out on plans in HNL if they didn’t want to get on the plane?
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 am

sxf24 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
If a piece of an airplane engine falls from the sky and lands in your backyard, are you allowed to keep it?


I hope so!

Technically, it still belongs to its rightful owner.
On top of that, the Feds would most likely seize it due to the investigation that will be launched.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.

Well, it depends on a few factors:
- if his truck is recent or has a loan on it, then it has full coverage. His insurance would reimburse him for the truck (under the full coverage policy) then file with the at-fault party and deal with them directly, returning his deductible in the process;
- if his truck just has liability, or if he doesn't want to involve his insurance (not sure why he wouldn't), then he can file directly with UAL's insurance. This is most likely a lengthy process.


There is always the concern that the property owner will be penalized by their insurance for United’s raining down of debris, through absolutely no fault of their own. They can also reasonably infer that United forced new hardships on them by this. Colorado people know they probably have already contacted someone like Azar to ensure they get what they feel is owed to them.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 am

Spacepope wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
Would the homeowner who (most likely) lost his truck be automatically covered by United’s insurance or is he SOL with his own insurance? Wonder what the policies around these situations are.

Well, it depends on a few factors:
- if his truck is recent or has a loan on it, then it has full coverage. His insurance would reimburse him for the truck (under the full coverage policy) then file with the at-fault party and deal with them directly, returning his deductible in the process;
- if his truck just has liability, or if he doesn't want to involve his insurance (not sure why he wouldn't), then he can file directly with UAL's insurance. This is most likely a lengthy process.


There is always the concern that the property owner will be penalized by their insurance for United’s raining down of debris, through absolutely no fault of their own. They can also reasonably infer that United forced new hardships on them by this. Colorado people know they probably have already contacted someone like Azar to ensure they get what they feel is owed to them.

Insurance adjusters work off the same set of data; UAL's insurance adjuster might be slightly below the truck owner's, but not by that much. In both case, he'll most likely get less than what he'd expect.
UAL, however, might decide to sweeten the deal to ease on the PR issue, as was mentioned earlier.
 
nm2582
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 am

with regards to the truck replacement... given the rarity of parts falling out of the sky from airplanes with uncontained engine failures, united would be better off sending a nice limo to ferry the owner to a dealership of his choice to pick out a new pickup of his choice - and let him keep the cowling to hang in his garage (or whatever) as a memento, too. a couple free round trips for the family to round out the deal, and I'd think most folks would be quite happy with their "fortune" and not cause any legal challenges.
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:06 am

nm2582 wrote:
with regards to the truck replacement... given the rarity of parts falling out of the sky from airplanes with uncontained engine failures, united would be better off sending a nice limo to ferry the owner to a dealership of his choice to pick out a new pickup of his choice - and let him keep the cowling to hang in his garage (or whatever) as a memento, too. a couple free round trips for the family to round out the deal, and I'd think most folks would be quite happy with their "fortune" and not cause any legal challenges.


To be fair chances are Uniteds deductible will be pretty high so they most probably pay for the truck anyway. So they only have to decide if they want to cheap out and pay the time adjusted value or if they want to replace the truck.
 
tcfc424
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:56 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am

Lawyers are expensive. If they can give this guy $100K and cut the majority of the lawyers out, they'll save hundreds of thousands...and gain some goodwill points at the same time. You don't want the Denver (or Broomfield) city councils raising a stink about flight paths. I know a city council would have a huge uphill battle trying to change air traffic routes...but that would involve even more lawyers and more cost. Honestly, if they could get out of this for under a million, it'd probably be a significant win.
 
RB211trent
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 am

CALTECH wrote:
Bird Strike is the word....
Blood all over the inlet....
Haven't seen the photos yet....

More like HP turbine disk failure
 
USAirKid
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am

303dk wrote:
True. And the service ceiling on a Canada Goose is 29,000 ft


I think Bombardier has started offering them with an extended service ceiling of 42,000 ft, but the pilot doesn’t like wearing the oxygen mask all the time.
 
lowbank
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 am

gwrudolph wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
look rather bad in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wgXNSwCDA


Is the engine still powering or just windmilling in this video. It looks like it is still powering?



Looks like a fan blade off to me, the engine is windmilling in the unbalanced condition that occurs.
Every days a school day.
 
pugman211
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 am

lowbank wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
look rather bad in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wgXNSwCDA


Is the engine still powering or just windmilling in this video. It looks like it is still powering?



Looks like a fan blade off to me, the engine is windmilling in the unbalanced condition that occurs.


Definitely a blade off and more looking at the photo on AVH
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:24 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
...
In this instance I agree with those above, United PR and legal will be all over it. Give the home owner a brand new Ram, coupled with a covenant not to sue. Probably a lot cheaper for United in the long run, as some lawyer will be sure to file an emotional distress claim.


The best option is to do everything by the book, in a couple of days media will move on to next breaking news. Looking at the blanket coverage any move will trigger new news cycle.

Damn ubiquitous 4K smartphones, in the old days I will believe it when I see it worked perfectly.
All posts are just opinions.
 
mawelsh
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:01 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm

CNN anchor summarized event as "heavy engine failure" after hearing "...United 328 heavy, mayday. Aircraft just experienced an engine failure..."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/02/2 ... nr-vpx.cnn
 
smokeybandit
Topic Author
Posts: 1572
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:03 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Was it ever reported how many passengers were on board? Listening to the ATC recordings, number of souls was asked for but it didn’t sound like the pilots had time to report it...

That leads to my next question: How are passengers who might not want to get on the replacement aircraft treated in this situation? I assume UA will put up anyone who might not want to get back on a plane right away. How long though before they tell you to either catch a flight to HNL or back to your original destination if you were connecting in DEN? I assume they’ll cover any costs for passengers who might have missed out on plans in HNL if they didn’t want to get on the plane?


231+crew.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:35 pm

mawelsh wrote:
CNN anchor summarized event as "heavy engine failure" after hearing "...United 328 heavy, mayday. Aircraft just experienced an engine failure..."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/02/2 ... nr-vpx.cnn

I'm glad I am not the only one who caught that as well. I was kind of upset the aviation "expert" didn't correct her but oh well.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
rising
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:37 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
tcfc424 wrote:
Lawyers are expensive. If they can give this guy $100K and cut the majority of the lawyers out, they'll save hundreds of thousands...and gain some goodwill points at the same time. You don't want the Denver (or Broomfield) city councils raising a stink about flight paths. I know a city council would have a huge uphill battle trying to change air traffic routes...but that would involve even more lawyers and more cost. Honestly, if they could get out of this for under a million, it'd probably be a significant win.


I hope the truck owner makes them throw in a Global Services membership. Replace my truck and give that, id be good.
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.
 
Galore
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:45 pm

ubeema wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Given the news coverage of this particular house, UA Public Relations will likely reach out to the individual as well and give them the 411 on how best to get his truck replaced and may choose to forego the insurance runaround. It's been a while since I've worked with our insurance teams but I seem to recall that although flight operations hull loss and human liability can't be self-insured, damage to property on the ground can be.



Fair enough. Being proactive given the publicity is likely the approach that will be taken . . .

Agree with alasizon. UA priority should be to minimize lawsuits and PR disaster. Letting homeowners figure this out on their own will cost them money and time. Deductible could be multiple thousands. This is what generally leads to frustration and lawsuits.


At this point, I expect UA to offer time limited vouchers (*see fine print for terms and conditions).
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:49 pm

Spacepope wrote:
OldB747Driver wrote:
Just from a quick gander, reasonable possibility of cowling/de-ice overpressure precipitating catastrophic engine failure?

The kevlar shroud that surrounds the first stage fan blades (as well as the blades themselves AND they're still rotating in the video) seems to imply the failure was external to the compression/ combustion cycle even though the hot section seems to be burning, most likely from the interrupted cooling flow in the normal combustion process. Also the front end of the cowl appears to have separated in its entirety, not shredded as the result of internal failure.


One thing about being on this site for a long time is you tend to know who really knows their stuff, and in this case CALTECH really has good insider info. If he says bird strike, I would believe him.

Likely scenario is bird causes fan blade to detach, causing this whole wobbly cascade of nacelle disintegration and possibly also downstream ingestion of meat and other engine parts.


Agree whole heartedly on both sentiments. It was easier back in the day with the RR raining by everyone. But if you’ve been here as long as you and I have, you know to trust CALTECH on United Maintenance related information.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9874
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:53 pm

mga707 wrote:
And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird or birds, if that is what caused it, was/were only 6-7,000ft. in the air.


So you think any bird can fly over Mt Everest because it will only be 1,000 feet 'in the air' at 30K feet?
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:58 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Hearing you could see all the way through the engine front to back, that much blade damage.Will see the photos tomorrow. Seems like something of the bird/debris went into the core. Doesn't take much to damage the blades and destroy the core. Everything shells out.
Memories of the Honolulu 777 engine incident, that was a fan blade crack not caught......

http://aerossurance.com/safety-manageme ... w4077-fbo/

Image

Image

Image


Thanks for this. You really do make this site a better place and still a remnant of what it was in the old days.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: UA328 engine explosion at DEN

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mga707 wrote:
And Broomfield's elevation is 5420 ft. So the bird or birds, if that is what caused it, was/were only 6-7,000ft. in the air.


So you think any bird can fly over Mt Everest because it will only be 1,000 feet 'in the air' at 30K feet?


I am pretty sure he meant in the air as “AGL”. At least that is how I took it.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos