Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nycflyer99
Topic Author

Single Delta 737 parked since 2019

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:04 am

Browsing through some fleet info on planespotters.net and came across N3762Y, a Delta 737-800 that has been parked at BHM since August 2019. Does anyone have any info as to why it was parked? I googled the registration number and nothing came up regarding it being taken out of service. Thanks!

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... nes/3451xe

gdavis003

Re: Single Delta 737 parked since 2019

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:12 am

It was receiving an engine overhaul pre-COVID, I believe. Then, COVID hit, so it stayed parked until DL felt that it was the right time to finish the overhaul. I am pretty sure that’s the story behind it.

Last time I saw it at BHM in May 2020 or so, the engines had been removed, and it was sitting in a corner of Stewart Industries, separate from the rest of the parked DL fleet. There was another 738 that was parked at BHM with that one, also receiving an engine overhaul, which left BHM a few weeks back. Another 738 was parked at BHM soon after that one left, and I don’t remember what the reasoning was. I believe that another poster knew the reasoning, but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

TWA302

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:48 am

From Aug 19 - start of COVID reduction of flights, say late March, that's a long time for an engine overhaul, wouldn't you think?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:42 am

In 2019, DL had put a small number of aircraft into temporary storage, primarily to balance and/or defer airframe and engine overhaul costs.

There were ~3 717s, 2 738s, and a sub-set of MD90s that were put into storage after the end of the peak summer schedule.
It wasn't uncommon in years past for DL to temporarily park some aircraft during fall and winter to defer maintenance. You would occasionally see a few 757s or A330s get parked for a few months.

Thus, this aircraft was put into storage after peak summer with the intend likely to return to service by peak summer 2020.
Then, COVID hit and with cost reduction / austerity measures along with hundreds of aircraft being parked/stored, this aircraft has remained in storage until at which point it can be put through to finalize any maintenance checks to return to service.

Nothing unique per-say, other that caught up in timing with being stored and maintenance defferal/backlog.

gdavis003

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:09 am

TWA302 wrote:
From Aug 19 - start of COVID reduction of flights, say late March, that's a long time for an engine overhaul, wouldn't you think?

PSU.DTW.SCE has it right. I intended to say that it was due for an engine overhaul, don't believe it ever started.

Antarius

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
In 2019, DL had put a small number of aircraft into temporary storage, primarily to balance and/or defer airframe and engine overhaul costs.

There were ~3 717s, 2 738s, and a sub-set of MD90s that were put into storage after the end of the peak summer schedule.
It wasn't uncommon in years past for DL to temporarily park some aircraft during fall and winter to defer maintenance. You would occasionally see a few 757s or A330s get parked for a few months.

Thus, this aircraft was put into storage after peak summer with the intend likely to return to service by peak summer 2020.
Then, COVID hit and with cost reduction / austerity measures along with hundreds of aircraft being parked/stored, this aircraft has remained in storage until at which point it can be put through to finalize any maintenance checks to return to service.

Nothing unique per-say, other that caught up in timing with being stored and maintenance defferal/backlog.

Actually quite unique! But so is everything about COVID and it's impacts.

Thanks for the detailed information. Very interesting.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

WayexTDI

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:38 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

PSU.DTW.SCE has it right. I intended to say that it was due for an engine overhaul, don't believe it ever started.

It wasn't initially parked for engine overhaul, but for capacity balancing; that's what PSU.DTW.SCE is saying.
At the same time, DL decided to perform an engine overhaul, which makes perfect sense. Then COVID

Polot

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:41 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

It wasn't initially parked for engine overhaul, but for capacity balancing; that's what PSU.DTW.SCE is saying.
At the same time, DL decided to perform an engine overhaul, which makes perfect sense. Then COVID

The reason that particular frame was chosen, however, was because it was due for an engine overhaul. Delta was killing two birds with one stone (removing excess capacity for slow season and deferring required maintenance).

nycflyer99
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:49 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Ah ok, bad timing for this bird then such a shame. Glad to get an answer to it though, thank you!

DL_Mech

Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 am

Historically, two other DL ships that were both parked early (not retired), robbed of parts heavily and never returned were 677 and 173. 173 along with other domestic 767s in storage were painted into new liveries at VCV and never flew again.

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

jayrobinson32

Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
It was receiving an engine overhaul pre-COVID, I believe. Then, COVID hit, so it stayed parked until DL felt that it was the right time to finish the overhaul. I am pretty sure that’s the story behind it.

Last time I saw it at BHM in May 2020 or so, the engines had been removed, and it was sitting in a corner of Stewart Industries, separate from the rest of the parked DL fleet. There was another 738 that was parked at BHM with that one, also receiving an engine overhaul, which left BHM a few weeks back. Another 738 was parked at BHM soon after that one left, and I don’t remember what the reasoning was. I believe that another poster knew the reasoning, but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Here's some info I can give you. From what the Delta Guys have told me, that aircraft is a super high cycle airframe and it came here pre-COVID because they wanted to park it and decided on Stewart, (Separate from COVID Storage) When I asked them a few weeks ago, they said they didnt know to much about it and that it just had a very high amount of cycles and has been used to give parts and transfer the parts to the 738s that have moved through here over the past few months. Here's a closeup photo I took on my phone a few weeks back. https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight

wjcandee

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm

Jayrobinson32: First of all, so cool you had a photo of it!

Second, here are some stats to consider:

N3762Y: 21597 cycles, 59358 hours as of 8/25/19.

N3763D as of 9/16/19: 22094/60643
N371DA as of 8/22/19: 26293/64138.

So much for N3762Y being a "super high cycle airframe". Your sources may have been mistaken in this case. Or maybe what they meant by "super high cycle" was that it was coming up on a heavy check, which makes some sense and seems to be what the other folks are saying.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B757Forever

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 pm

It was originally parked in BHM when it was due for a C Check to defer maintenance cost until the capacity was needed. The engines were robbed from it to support other aircraft in the fleet to defer engine overhaul costs. Then COVID, so there it sits...
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

777Mech

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:19 am

jayrobinson32 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Here's some info I can give you. From what the Delta Guys have told me, that aircraft is a super high cycle airframe and it came here pre-COVID because they wanted to park it and decided on Stewart, (Separate from COVID Storage) When I asked them a few weeks ago, they said they didnt know to much about it and that it just had a very high amount of cycles and has been used to give parts and transfer the parts to the 738s that have moved through here over the past few months. Here's a closeup photo I took on my phone a few weeks back. https://www.flickr.com/photos/188689711 ... ed-public/

They gave you the wrong info. It's in line with it's other siblings, as far as hours and cycles goes, it was parked for engine savings. They wanted to defer engine overhaul costs, and 6 months later covid hit, so there it stays parked.

Both engines we coming due at the same time, so it made sense.

jayrobinson32

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:30 am

777Mech wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

They gave you the wrong info. It's in line with it's other siblings, as far as hours and cycles goes, it was parked for engine savings. They wanted to defer engine overhaul costs, and 6 months later covid hit, so there it stays parked.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. They must have mistaken my question for one of the other 738s. If yall have any questions about any questions stored at BHM I am happy to share photos and answer questions.
Spotter from BHM and Intern at the Southern Museum of Flight

Polot

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:11 am

jayrobinson32 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
jayrobinson32 wrote:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. They must have mistaken my question for one of the other 738s. If yall have any questions about any questions stored at BHM I am happy to share photos and answer questions.

Since all of DL’s 738 were acquired new there are unlikely to be any with super high hours/cycles compared to its siblings (of similar age obviously). Airlines tend to make sure hours/cycles growth remains relatively consistent across the fleet and no aircraft gains significantly more than any of its peers.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:13 am

But if the engines were coming due and it was parked due to an upcoming engine overhaul, how to explain somebody else's assertion that they took the engines off it and used them on another aircraft? Where are the engines if that isn't what happened? Did they send them for overhaul? But -- wait -- they parked the frame because they "didn't want to overhaul the engines yet".

Lots of confusion over why this was parked, but most likely it's due to something coming up for maintenance and the temporary parking was extended due to COVID. I think that's as specific as you're gonna be able to get.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:14 am

Polot wrote:
Since all of DL’s 738 were acquired new there are unlikely to be any with super high hours/cycles compared to its siblings (of similar age obviously). Airlines tend to make sure hours/cycles growth remains relatively consistent across the fleet and no aircraft gains significantly more than any of its peers.

Which I showed with actual specific numbers on this aircraft and others in my post above...

B757Forever

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:47 am

wjcandee wrote:
Polot wrote:

Which I showed with actual specific numbers on this aircraft and others in my post above...

Not all the 738's were acquired new. Ships 3774, 3775, 3776 and 3777 were acquired from GOL. These four aircraft are relatively young.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:49 am

B757Forever wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Polot wrote:

Not all the 738's were acquired new. Ships 3774, 3775, 3776 and 3777 were acquired from GOL. These four aircraft are relatively young.

Understood. But the point was that this ship quite evidently was not out of sync with the other 737-800s as far as cycles go. Which is what I showed with actual cycle/hour data, to test the information that had been given to the poster who thought it was a "super-high cycle airframe".

777Mech

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:56 am

wjcandee wrote:
But if the engines were coming due and it was parked due to an upcoming engine overhaul, how to explain somebody else's assertion that they took the engines off it and used them on another aircraft? Where are the engines if that isn't what happened? Did they send them for overhaul? But -- wait -- they parked the frame because they "didn't want to overhaul the engines yet".

Lots of confusion over why this was parked, but most likely it's due to something coming up for maintenance and the temporary parking was extended due to COVID. I think that's as specific as you're gonna be able to get.

Because the assertion that engines were used on other aircraft is false.

When it first arrived in BHM, the engines were trucked to ATL where they sat in the parking lot awaiting their turn for overhaul. This was during the time DL had a huge backlog of 56 contract work from VA, GOL and the military.

Just because engines were pulled off the aircraft doesn't mean they were put on another one.

FWIW, it's scheduled ferry to QRO in June for an H check.

It's neighbor in BHM 3716 isn't leaving until August.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 am

777Mech wrote:

And there you have it. Thank you for the clear explanation of the situation. Makes total sense. And it's why we are lucky to have folks in the industry like yourself, Sir, still participating on a.net.

Thanks again.

Dalmd88

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:55 pm

777Mech wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

When it first arrived in BHM, the engines were trucked to ATL where they sat in the parking lot awaiting their turn for overhaul. This was during the time DL had a huge backlog of 56 contract work from VA, GOL and the military.

Just because engines were pulled off the aircraft doesn't mean they were put on another one.

This is true, but if the plane was not due for a check it would have been fitted with engines from the spares pool and stayed flying. When it's original engines came out of the shop visit they would have gone into the spares pool.

The engine work is not the reason it was parked. It was parked to delay the cost of the airframe check. The virus pull down further delayed that check.

There are very few times an airline the size of Delta parks an airplane for engine work. The few times it has happened the cause was a fleet wide issue. The PW 2000 issue on the 757 fleet was a prime example. I can't recall the part that was the cause but a major internal part was having a high failure rate and Pratt could not keep up with supplying the needed replacement part. The Rolls-Royce Trent issues are the most recent example of this.

Now a small airline or corporate operator may park a plane awaiting the engine shop visit. They just don't have a large spares pool and calculate the cost of the short term lease to be too high.

777Mech

Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:01 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

This is true, but if the plane was not due for a check it would have been fitted with engines from the spares pool and stayed flying. When it's original engines came out of the shop visit they would have gone into the spares pool.

The engine work is not the reason it was parked. It was parked to delay the cost of the airframe check. The virus pull down further delayed that check.

There are very few times an airline the size of Delta parks an airplane for engine work. The few times it has happened the cause was a fleet wide issue. The PW 2000 issue on the 757 fleet was a prime example. I can't recall the part that was the cause but a major internal part was having a high failure rate and Pratt could not keep up with supplying the needed replacement part. The Rolls-Royce Trent issues are the most recent example of this.

Now a small airline or corporate operator may park a plane awaiting the engine shop visit. They just don't have a large spares pool and calculate the cost of the short term lease to be too high.

No, it was parked for "engine savings". Both engines needed overhaul, and together with marketing, deciding the frame was not needed during the winter schedule and therefor the decision was made not to refit engines.

DL struggled with bin fill rates on the 56, so to keep reliability up, they kept those spares that would have gone to 3762.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos