Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover

Re: Irish 3/21: stuck on the runway

Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
It was an Avro Tudor, a not-very-successful post-war airliner. Grim enough photos here: https://tinyurl.com/4d2umtta

The Avro Tudor is one aircraft where I can say, without any guilt, that it was an absolute piece of crap.

Eirules wrote:
The issue with countries only accepting those that have been vaccinated is that those who haven’t (mostly the younger) will get extremely annoyed that they’ve put their lives on hold for a year to protect the older / vulnerable but now that cohort are getting their freedom back. Not an issue for the country they’re visiting but very much one for the govt here

I don't think people are going to get "extremely annoyed" and if they do, who cares? It's like saying someone who is 45 is going to start organising protest marches because the over 80s got a vaccine first and can now travel while others can't. It's only a matter of months difference, so it's no big deal. It's not like people are having to wait an extra year or two to get vaccinated.

I spent last night looking at flights to the USA for next year. Some good deals around, if you know where to look... for a change. Dublin to US destinations in business class on British Airways is coming up at €1,300 to €1,400 return, which is a decent enough price. Flights in economy are peanuts, in the €300 range return. I'd start getting booking.

A friend of mine works in revenue management at one of the US transatlantic carriers, and he mentioned in passing that transatlantic bookings are already noticeably picking up, so grab the good value fares while they last. With BA, you can swap things to a voucher still, so financially it should be a no brainer.

Eirules

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

They have also got themselves fixated on this idea that COVID is just a sniffle unless you are elderly or in poor health already.

Not entirely untrue. A virus that’s killed <0.5% of the population in a year when flu kills approximately 0.3% annually

And fatalities have been confined to that level because of the measures taken. Many vulnerable people are vaccinated for flu annually whereas until recent weeks we have not had a vaccine for COVID. Not comparing like with like at all.

That in itself isn’t true either. Even in the USA which has been castigated for its response, where masks have only recently been made mandatory, where internal flights have continued, where many businesses have remained open etc, deaths are still only 0.17% of the population. So two very different approaches here & there but not a vastly different result in deaths as a percentage

OA260

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:00 am

DAA seeks fresh injunctions over lands required for runway

Traveller families present on site at Collinstown within exclusion zone for project

Airport operator DAA has launched fresh injunction proceedings in a dispute over occupation of lands required for the airport’s new north runway. In other proceedings to be heard later this month, the airport operator is seeking orders against a number of Traveller families for vacant possession of the lands at Collinstown, near Swords.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 7?mode=amp

Vicenza

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Eirules wrote:
iRISH251 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Not entirely untrue. A virus that’s killed <0.5% of the population in a year when flu kills approximately 0.3% annually

And fatalities have been confined to that level because of the measures taken. Many vulnerable people are vaccinated for flu annually whereas until recent weeks we have not had a vaccine for COVID. Not comparing like with like at all.

That in itself isn’t true either. Even in the USA which has been castigated for its response, where masks have only recently been made mandatory, where internal flights have continued, where many businesses have remained open etc, deaths are still only 0.17% of the population. So two very different approaches here & there but not a vastly different result in deaths as a percentage

But a number as a percentage is not necessarily reflective of reality without other important aspects being considered. It is solely a comparative statistic.

Vicenza

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Eirules wrote:
The issue with countries only accepting those that have been vaccinated is that those who haven’t (mostly the younger) will get extremely annoyed that they’ve put their lives on hold for a year to protect the older / vulnerable but now that cohort are getting their freedom back. Not an issue for the country they’re visiting but very much one for the govt here

I really don't see it as an issue at all and, being personally honest, I see no reason why they should be extremely annoyed. If some choose to be then that is just too bad. The world doesn't revolve solely around their wishes and this situation is far too big an issue than their mere 'annoyance'. Their world is certainly not going to collapse by a delay of only months.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 am

I notice a lot of airlines (e.g. BA, AF, AY, LH, VS, AA, UA, AC are a few I've picked up on) are running multiple daily cargo-only flights using passenger aircraft now. Obviously EI was involved in a bit of this at the start of the pandemic doing PPE runs to PEK but they're a bit of an outlier now in not getting involved in this - maybe they've concluded there's no real revenue to be gained from it...?

Eagleboy

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:17 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I notice a lot of airlines (e.g. BA, AF, AY, LH, VS, AA, UA, AC are a few I've picked up on) are running multiple daily cargo-only flights using passenger aircraft now. Obviously EI was involved in a bit of this at the start of the pandemic doing PPE runs to PEK but they're a bit of an outlier now in not getting involved in this - maybe they've concluded there's no real revenue to be gained from it...?

Could be an issue with location in Dublin and their smaller route network.
EI are carrying a lot more cargo on their ORD and LHR routes.
They were beaten to a cargo contract by VS, but that was because they werent willing to bid under cost. (no to say I know VS did, but they were lower than EI)

I would agree though. Would love to see EI operating cargo flights if it was viable for them,

OA260

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Ryanair : Launches New Dublin To Rhodes (Greece) Route For Summer ‘21

Ryanair, Europe's No.1 airline, today (15 Mar) announced a new Dublin to Rhodes (Greece) route, from 3rd July 2021, flying twice a week as part of Ryanair's Irish Summer 2021 schedule.

https://m.marketscreener.com/quote/stoc ... -32688121/

AmricanShamrok

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:20 pm

A second 738 has been added to the Ryanair UK register. This one was transferred from Buzz (formerly SP-RKA; new reg G-RUKB).

https://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet ... ir_uk.html

OA260

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:04 am

Start Of Ryanair Summer Schedule In Shannon Pushed Back To June

Ryanair’s summer schedule will now not begin at Shannon Airport until June at the earliest.

The airline has told Clare FM it will not operate its 14 routes from the region’s main airport from next month as planned, subject to ongoing and changing travel restrictions.

www.clare.fm/news/aviation/start-ryanai ... back-june/

SITA to create 55 jobs at Letterkenny operations

SITA, which provides IT services to the air transport industry, has announced plans to create 55 jobs in Letterkenny in Co Donegal.

The new jobs will be at SITA's Agile DevOps operations and the new roles include software engineers, test engineers, UX designers, scrum masters and product owners.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1204036/

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Aer Lingus is to take delivery, this evening, of a second A333, ex-Qatar; A7-AEM will ultimately become EI-EIL, but obviously will not enter service as such for some time. It is to be delivered in EI colours but will retain its Qatari reg for now.

Good to see that EI has sufficient confidence to do this. QR is of course getting rid of its A330 fleet as more 787s/A350s are delivered - and of course, wants to reduce the number of types in its fleet as it responds to the C-19 crisis, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that EI got this for a song, but still, good to see that it is thinking in terms of growth.

(Now that I think it is, wondering what is happening with the ex-QR A332; will that and 'DUO be the sole -200s in the fleet, or is EI aiming to get rid of these two as well. Haven't seen them in service for some time.)

OA260

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 am

Happy St. Patricks Day - Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh

aerloingeas

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:50 pm

kaitak wrote:
(Now that I think it is, wondering what is happening with the ex-QR A332; will that and 'DUO be the sole -200s in the fleet, or is EI aiming to get rid of these two as well.

Current expectation internally is that the A330-200 has finished scheduled passenger operations with Aer Lingus. Only the A330-300 will be operated going forward.

ChrisNH38

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:20 pm

aerloingeas wrote:
Current expectation internally is that the A330-200 has finished scheduled passenger operations with Aer Lingus. Only the A330-300 will be operated going forward.

Having flown on -DAA a few times into and out of Boston, what became of her?

AmricanShamrok

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
aerloingeas wrote:

Having flown on -DAA a few times into and out of Boston, what became of her?

'DAA is one of my most-flown A330s also. It's been stored at Ciudad Real since last July.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:17 pm

An interesting new development is that the traditional transatlantic flight routes are being scrapped in favour of a new GNSS* based system. This is a pretty big deal.

Until a few days ago (and for pretty much all of the jet age, if not before), aircraft would get a particular route, e.g. Track Delta at FL350 at a particular latitude (which could change daily, based on winds). Now, as technology has developed and satellite based systems have proved their reliability (many airports now used RNAV/GNSS* approaches) means that the transitional t/a navigation systems can be replaced with satellite based navigation and waypoints.

(GNSS is Global Navigation Satellite System; RNAV is Area Navigation, which allows aircraft to fly between particular points without ground based navigational aids).

Galwayman

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:23 pm

So what's EI's current fleet strategy? Get rid of the more expensive aircraft and smaller A330-200s - replace with lower cost bargain ex Qatar frames? Any opportunities for more A321LRs? Any chance of A220s?

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:32 pm

I'm sure there will be more A321NeoLRs in due course. There are six XLRs (a slightly longer range aircraft) on order from 2023 on.

Of course, Covid has blown all fleet planning out the window, BUT I think they will be taking the view (if they haven't already) that the A320, at 174 seats, is too big an aircraft now for many of their short haul routes and they need to find something smaller. That will pit the A220-300 against the Embraer E2. I doubt if EI is along in that, so I would imagine IAG will be preparing a group purchase a 130-150 seater aircraft. In the meantime, we will probably see EI reduce its fleet through sales and/or lease terminations.

As for long haul/widebody, I think it makes sense to have one widebody type, the A333 and if the opportunity arises to acquire some, by all means, go for it. I was pleasantly surprised that they acquired another one - clearly they are looking to the future and the post-Covid situation. I think that with the UK and the US sprinting ahead with vaccinations, and the EI falling behind (and facing the possibility of further waves), EI may feel that the transatlantic market is the one to face its energes on at the moment.

Galwayman

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Fingers crossed for the A220 - it's such a fantastic , comfortable aircraft

opticalilyushin

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:54 pm

EasyJet apparantly launching Belfast to Bournemouth 2x weekly this summer

ClassicLover

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 pm

kaitak wrote:
I'm sure there will be more A321NeoLRs in due course. There are six XLRs (a slightly longer range aircraft) on order from 2023 on.

Of course, Covid has blown all fleet planning out the window, BUT I think they will be taking the view (if they haven't already) that the A320, at 174 seats, is too big an aircraft now for many of their short haul routes and they need to find something smaller. That will pit the A220-300 against the Embraer E2. I doubt if EI is along in that, so I would imagine IAG will be preparing a group purchase a 130-150 seater aircraft. In the meantime, we will probably see EI reduce its fleet through sales and/or lease terminations.

As for long haul/widebody, I think it makes sense to have one widebody type, the A333 and if the opportunity arises to acquire some, by all means, go for it. I was pleasantly surprised that they acquired another one - clearly they are looking to the future and the post-Covid situation. I think that with the UK and the US sprinting ahead with vaccinations, and the EI falling behind (and facing the possibility of further waves), EI may feel that the transatlantic market is the one to face its energes on at the moment.

What are you on about? :) It is short sighted to think that Aer Lingus will find the A320 at 174 seats to be too big an aircraft for many of their short haul routes. If Aer Lingus were to settle on a fleet replacement of A220s/Embraer E2s, they would not be in any position to take advantage of the future.

All signs point to "a huge amount of pent up demand" (which is becoming almost as overused as "meaningful") which means they are going to need all their current aircraft with their 174 seats in the future. With travel restrictions largely being thought of as ending this year sometime, it is expected demand will bounce back rapidly enough when it comes to internal routes, which would include Europe as for all intents and purposes it is a domestic market.

Switching down makes very little sense, for what is a short-term issue (the pandemic). Aircraft are in service for 20 years or more, so downsizing for the next two years means an airline would be ill-prepared for the following 18.

Also, Aer Lingus already has one widebody type, as the Airbus A330-200 and A330-300 are considered to be the "same type".

Galwayman wrote:
Fingers crossed for the A220 - it's such a fantastic , comfortable aircraft

Hey, I'd be all over this if it made sense, as I agree with you. The A220 is a fantastic aircraft all round.

If I'm wrong and Aer Lingus do decide to downsize, which I think has a 0.001% chance of happening, I'd be advocating the A220. Who knows, maybe we'll see an A220 stretch one day...

OA260

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Isle of Man startup Ettyl is latest to circle Stobart Air

Another potential suitor has entered the fray to buy Aer Lingus Regional operator Stobart Air, the Irish Independent has learned.

Isle of Man-based Ettyl, a start-up virtual airline, is understood to be circling the Dublin-based carrier. But it’s pitted against other suitors for Stobart Air, including seasoned aviation executive Ian Woodley.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/isle- ... 09926.html

--

Aer Lingus owner IAG to raise $1.2bn survival bond

Airline group says money will help support it through pandemic downturn

Aer Lingus owner IAG plans to raise about €1 billion through a bond issue, which it said would help see it through if the pandemic-driven travel downturn lasts longer than expected.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4513700

BrianDromey

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:43 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
What are you on about? :) It is short sighted to think that Aer Lingus will find the A320 at 174 seats to be too big an aircraft for many of their short haul routes. If Aer Lingus were to settle on a fleet replacement of A220s/Embraer E2s, they would not be in any position to take advantage of the future.

All signs point to "a huge amount of pent up demand" (which is becoming almost as overused as "meaningful") which means they are going to need all their current aircraft with their 174 seats in the future. With travel restrictions largely being thought of as ending this year sometime, it is expected demand will bounce back rapidly enough when it comes to internal routes, which would include Europe as for all intents and purposes it is a domestic market.

I think EI have been using this as an opportunity to rationalise the fleet slightly. No doubt the ex-QR frames are available at a good price and a single one-type A333 wide body fleet makes some sense - the A332s were only ever for West Coast routes that the late-build A333s can now reach or lower-demand routes on the East Coast and SNN that the A321 can do. The A332 has no real place in the future EI fleet.

The short-haul fleet is a different matter and EI might be a passenger to the overall IAG strategy here. There are orders for A320/1neo and the LOI for the 737MAX (worth remembering that AirEuropa is a 737 airline), so those are the likely replacements, as well as CEO's displaced from Vueling/Iberia. There are no A220 orders at this point, but EI and BA Cityflyer could use them to increase frequency or open up longer, thinner routes. The would be good for airports like ORK, SNN and BHD where revenue and runway performance can be issues. When the second runway opens at DUB there will be slots at peak times available for more 'exotic' short-haul routes. I could see a situation where the A220 does morning and evening Scotland, FRA or BRU-type flights and a longer European sector like FNC, Greece, etc which would be too big for the A320 in the late morning.
There is a gap between the ~70 seat ATRs and ~174 seat A320/1LRs, the E2/220 would fill that quite nicely, but can EI monitize the extra frequency or would they be better off putting spaceFlex in the A320s and reaping the cost and revenue benefits of 186 short-haul seats?

OA260

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Looks like Air Canada have pushed back their DUB-YYZ service as May has been cancelled. Now showing on their website as early June for operations to commence.

Galwayman

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm

The A220 also allows EI back into the Nordic countries to grab DY long haul passengers and possibly opens up Moscow, LED, Tel Aviv etc and reduces direct competition with FR in certain short/mid haul markets .

ClassicLover

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus owner IAG to raise $1.2bn survival bond

Aer Lingus owner IAG plans to raise about €1 billion through a bond issue, which it said would help see it through if the pandemic-driven travel downturn lasts longer than expected.

That's interesting news. No matter how much they spin it, it seems to me like another indication that things are going to drag on for longer than originally anticipated.

Look at Australia and New Zealand, both countries with virtually zero cases all the time... they still can't get their act together to open up travel between the two countries. If that is any indication on the wider picture, we could be in for trouble.

BrianDromey wrote:
The short-haul fleet is a different matter and EI might be a passenger to the overall IAG strategy here. There are orders for A320/1neo and the LOI for the 737MAX (worth remembering that AirEuropa is a 737 airline), so those are the likely replacements, as well as CEO's displaced from Vueling/Iberia. There are no A220 orders at this point, but EI and BA Cityflyer could use them to increase frequency or open up longer, thinner routes. The would be good for airports like ORK, SNN and BHD where revenue and runway performance can be issues. When the second runway opens at DUB there will be slots at peak times available for more 'exotic' short-haul routes. I could see a situation where the A220 does morning and evening Scotland, FRA or BRU-type flights and a longer European sector like FNC, Greece, etc which would be too big for the A320 in the late morning.
There is a gap between the ~70 seat ATRs and ~174 seat A320/1LRs, the E2/220 would fill that quite nicely, but can EI monitize the extra frequency or would they be better off putting spaceFlex in the A320s and reaping the cost and revenue benefits of 186 short-haul seats?

Absolutely agree with your thinking on this. Some of it depends on the restrictions for the new runway being lifted, because if they are in place during the peak times, then most of the real benefit of the new runway is lost anyway.

Your question at the end also makes sense... can they monitise it or not? The other thing is acquisition costs, I keep reading in places that the A220 is still perceived as too expensive. Though I am sure a 100 unit order from IAG would give them some good pricing. It all remains to be seen what they will do. I'm interested to see if that 737 LOI actually turns into a firm order for one.

Galwayman wrote:
The A220 also allows EI back into the Nordic countries to grab DY long haul passengers and possibly opens up Moscow, LED, Tel Aviv etc and reduces direct competition with FR in certain short/mid haul markets .

As long as the numbers stack up, that would work. But would they? It's not like EI have ever had a presence in Russia or Israel. I'd be interested in seeing the connecting passenger statistics from Ireland to these places. That would be fascinating and it would definitely indicate whether there is any market here.

BrianDromey

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:55 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
As long as the numbers stack up, that would work. But would they? It's not like EI have ever had a presence in Russia or Israel. I'd be interested in seeing the connecting passenger statistics from Ireland to these places. That would be fascinating and it would definitely indicate whether there is any market here.

I think the utilisation on these routes is pretty bad and the crewing costs high, if BA aren't interested from London, I doubt there is much chance of success from DUB, other than a summer TLV. If the 220 was configured as high-density short haul frame, with BOB, trips to MOW or TLV wouldn't be that comfortable, the A321LR product would be more compelling. I think the 220s would stay closer to home, places like Scandinavia, as you say, but also VIE, BUD, even BRU. Leave the A320s on major EU capitals & sun hotspots.

eidvm

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:29 pm

I've personally thought the A220 would make a very good addition to the Aer Lingus fleet for quite a while, with a fleet of 12-15 aircraft.

It would be ideal to service routes with reduced demand such as EDI/GLA/DUS/HAM/HAJ/CPH/OSL/ARN/STR/BIO/GVA/ZRH/BRU/FRA/BER etc on a morning and evening run to tie in with connections, and then also provide additional frequency in the middle of the day to popular holiday destinations such as FAO/AGP/LIS/BCN/NCE/LIN/FCO/VCE/ALC.

I think the A320/A321 combo is ideal for popular holiday routes, the bucket and spade routes Aer Lingus competes directly against with Ryanair with, but for business routes and connection routes that demand a higher frequency the A220-300 with 150 seats, 3 cabin crew, would be a truly competitive aircraft for Aer Lingus.

They experimented with something like that before with the A319 but the difference in fuel burn didn't make it work much at all, it only had fuel savings in the region of 3% over the A320 but only carried 144 seats vs 174. An A220-300 with 150 seats would burn approximately 28% less fuel than an A320 and probably be much more competitive.

Personally, if it weren't for COVID I'd have imagined the fleet layout as;

*15 ATR 72-600s (72 Seats) (Externally Operated) - UK Commuter Routes
*12-15 A220-300s (150 Seats) - City Routes
*15-18 A320s (174 Seats) - Bucket and Spade/Ski Charter Routes/Canaries
*8 A321s (212 Seats) - High Capacity Bucket and Spade routes (AGP/FCO/LIS/FAO/DBV/VCE)
*15 A321 NeoLR/NeoXLR (184 Seats) - East Coast USA Secondary Cities (BDL/PHL/PIT/CLE) and Extra Frequencies on JFK/BOS/YYZ/IAD/EWR and Early Morning Euro City runs (LHR/LGW/CDG/AMS/MAD/FRA)
*15 A330 (316 Seats) - Core Transatlantic Markets.

OA260

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Court dismisses Irish lessor's fraud claims against Boeing
Timaero's allegations over 737 Max jet are thrown out

A Chicago court has thrown out allegations including fraud made against Boeing by Dublin-based aircraft lessor Timaero in relation to a $740m-plus case linked to the troubled 737 Max jet.

www.independent.ie/business/world/court ... 05655.html

This Working Life
‘My life now is in a holding pattern – if I’m not working as a pilot, am I still a pilot?’

Sarah Louise Gibbons, pilot and former chief instructor at CityJet in conversation with Mary McCarthy

Hard Landing The last time I flew was a double to London on March 22 last year – that’s over and back twice. There were only ten passengers but I had no idea this was to be my last flight.

www.independent.ie/business/personal-fi ... 10025.html

ELBOB

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:42 am

Anyone know when the IL-62 is due to depart from Shannon?

BrianDromey

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 am

eidvm wrote:
Personally, if it weren't for COVID I'd have imagined the fleet layout as;

*15 ATR 72-600s (72 Seats) (Externally Operated) - UK Commuter Routes
*12-15 A220-300s (150 Seats) - City Routes
*15-18 A320s (174 Seats) - Bucket and Spade/Ski Charter Routes/Canaries
*8 A321s (212 Seats) - High Capacity Bucket and Spade routes (AGP/FCO/LIS/FAO/DBV/VCE)
*15 A321 NeoLR/NeoXLR (184 Seats) - East Coast USA Secondary Cities (BDL/PHL/PIT/CLE) and Extra Frequencies on JFK/BOS/YYZ/IAD/EWR and Early Morning Euro City runs (LHR/LGW/CDG/AMS/MAD/FRA)
*15 A330 (316 Seats) - Core Transatlantic Markets.

I think that looks about right. The A220 at EI will depend on fleet replacements elsewhere in IAG, I think. Both EI and BACF (22 E190) could use the A220 and Vueling need something with good runway performance for Florence (6 A319). IAG operate something like 75 aircraft between the A319 and E190, so an order for 50-100 aircraft with 100-150 seats is entirely possible.
The only thing I would say is that the A320s will surely get the SpaceFlex toilets and an extra row or two? Possibly with slim-line seats, although the IAG-spec Recaros don't feature adjustable headrests, which is a shame. I think EI has the lowest density A320s at IAG, even BA operate CY180 these days!

factsonly

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 am

KLM operates a B772 to/from DUB today:

- arr. 11.01 DUB KLM9873 B777-206 KLM PH-BQA
- dep. 13.00 AMS KLM9872 B777-206 KLM PH-BQB

Seems to be a swap of tails if registratons are correct.

https://www.flightradar24.com/KLM9873/27203bf3

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:23 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
The only thing I would say is that the A320s will surely get the SpaceFlex toilets and an extra row or two? Possibly with slim-line seats, although the IAG-spec Recaros don't feature adjustable headrests, which is a shame. I think EI has the lowest density A320s at IAG, even BA operate CY180 these days!

I don't think SpaceFlex will fit into an A220 as the aircraft cabin widths are completely different. It would need to be designed from the ground up (if it's even feasible) and then certified - and is there enough market demand at this point to bother with it? No-one is asking for more seats in an A220 at this time.

OA260

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:15 pm

EL AL as per their website have pushed the start date DUB - TLV route to early July .

Egyptair have removed from sale their DUB - CAI route and not available for sale anymore on their website .

Not really a surprise and expect EL AL will further push their date . Hopefully Egyptair still plan to commence the route at sometime maybe next year.

Eagleboy

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:27 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Also, Aer Lingus already has one widebody type, as the Airbus A330-200 and A330-300 are considered to be the "same type".

Yes, both A330 variants are classed as the same type.
However for fleet planning purposes EI has 5-6 different aircraft capabilities.
The internal cabin config varies quite a bit across the fleet.m this has issues for reservations and customer service. ie. different J class capacity, different toilet location, different exit rows, different infant cot locations.

LAX, DAA are basically the same. GEY, DUO and EWR are each individual (EWR of course is gone to the boneyard)

DUZ, ELA, EAV, EDY are c.2007-2010. They are internally identical but have lower MTOW than the later deliveries.
Which is why you usually saw FNG or FNH on DUB-ORD with the higher fuel and cargo requirement.
GAJ and GCF (also EIM and EIN) are the higher MTOW variant with crew rest fitted so they are intended to service the West Coast.
I have no idea what the cabin config of EIK and EIL is, nor can I state if they are higher MTOW or not. But worst case they have similar performance to the 2007-2010 variants which overall gives EI a planned fleet of 12 A333s split evenly into two distinct performance classes.
Then it remains to be seen what precisely happens with LAX,DAA,DUO & GEY. (My guess is retirement)

These statements are of course not definite as EI have always rotated their airframes throughout the route network to suit maintainance requirements and to even out block hours amongst the fleet.

BrianDromey

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:53 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

I don't think SpaceFlex will fit into an A220 as the aircraft cabin widths are completely different. It would need to be designed from the ground up (if it's even feasible) and then certified - and is there enough market demand at this point to bother with it? No-one is asking for more seats in an A220 at this time.

Sorry, I was talking about the current EI A320 fleet, not the A220.

The A220 can be had with a galley and toilet layout very similar to Spaceflex - JetBlue and AirCanada operate it. It looks very tight indeed.
https://paxex.aero/jetblue-a220-seats-w ... rtainment/
DL has a more traditional layout, the toilet even has a window, I think Air Baltic does too.

JAmie2k9

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:33 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Speaking of cargo flights. Michael Kelly tweet.

https://twitter.com/Michaelkelly707/sta ... 0944175104

@AerLingus flight #EI9079 operated by Airbus A330 #EIGAJ is routing from Dublin to Atlanta. The flight originated in Munich, then flew to Dublin and onto Atlanta. It is carrying freight. This might be the first #AerLingus aircraft to visit @ATLairport #avgeek

Couple more expected short term.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 am

OA260 wrote:
EL AL as per their website have pushed the start date DUB - TLV route to early July .

Egyptair have removed from sale their DUB - CAI route and not available for sale anymore on their website .

Not really a surprise and expect EL AL will further push their date . Hopefully Egyptair still plan to commence the route at sometime maybe next year.

I think EL AL might do well on this route, because Israel might well be one of the few places people can actually fly, due to Covid restrictions.

----------------------

On the subject of configurations and EI having the least dense config of any airline, I can't help wondering whether the months and even year or two ahead, the airline market will be very much a flyer's market (in much the same way as a housing market can be a buyer's market); there'll be a lot of airlines chasing a considerably small number of pax. I am just wondering whether those airlines which have very dense configs - those who went 10 abreast on 777s perhaps finding that pax will go for airlines with a more generous configs and A330/350 being chosen over 787s for long haul.

The flip side of that, of course, is that it probably won't matter, because you'll probably have a few free seats beside you on any flight you take. To think that, last year, we were wondering whether airlines would/should be required to keep a middle seat empty. I think that question is going to be superfluous for some time to come!

OA260

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 am

Aer Lingus to trial document verification apps in hopes of ‘meaningful’ return to skies

Carrier’s embrace of new data technology follows similar moves by parent company International Airlines Group

www.businesspost.ie/aviation/aer-lingus ... s-1b5b25bd

Aer Lingus has Caribbean dream, says Antigua minister

Eagle-eyed plane-spotters will have noticed the odd private jet flying out of Dublin and heading in the direction of the Caribbean in recent times.

The rest of us can only dream but it seems as if former national carrier Aer Lingus may also be mulling the potential for more general passenger traffic to the Caribbean once we are freed from the travel lockdown.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 17997.html

marcogr12

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:31 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus to trial document verification apps in hopes of ‘meaningful’ return to skies

Carrier’s embrace of new data technology follows similar moves by parent company International Airlines Group

http://www.businesspost.ie/aviation/aer ... s-1b5b25bd

Eagle-eyed plane-spotters will have noticed the odd private jet flying out of Dublin and heading in the direction of the Caribbean in recent times.

The rest of us can only dream but it seems as if former national carrier Aer Lingus may also be mulling the potential for more general passenger traffic to the Caribbean once we are freed from the travel lockdown.

Indeed..i find it odd that EI has never offered seasonal flights to Caribbean destinations like BA,Virgin,TUI out of LON,MAN etc

Vicenza

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:14 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Indeed..i find it odd that EI has never offered seasonal flights to Caribbean destinations like BA,Virgin,TUI out of LON,MAN etc

Because they are only focused on the US, and always have been, as seemingly the only destination that exists.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 pm

In fairness, there are no historical links to the Caribbean (as Britain/France/Netherlands would have) and any route would be primarily business orientated. Much better to feed what traffic there is via the US. And with all due respect to the Antiguan minister, I'd be wary about believing anything anyone said about another company. The only way I could see that EI might serve the Caribbean would be to take over some of BA's routes ex-Gatwick. The 772s used are getting pretty long in tooth and I wouldn't be surprised if they saw EI as an alternative operator. EI's A333s would probably be more cost effective operations than BA's 777s.

Today's Covid numbers are a major concern. Wonder what the govt will do now. Media over the past few days has been confidently predicting a relaxation of the 5km rule, acknowledging mental health issues and lockdown fatigue. The UK looks likely to push out (timewise) the likelihood of travel abroad and with climbing figures in many parts of Europe, combined with pretty slow vaccine rollout, any idea that the worst is behind the aviation industry is - to put it kindly - probably not true.

David_itl

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:25 pm

I would expect the Caribbean routes to be principally be operated out of MAN - still quite a bit of capacity down to that regions even with VS and TUI increasing their offering.

veron

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:09 pm

Does anyone know how FR are doing selling seats on its new upcoming BHD European routes from June to October? I'm still sceptical that we'll be allowed to fly leisure by June. Thanks in advance.

Vicenza

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 pm

kaitak wrote:
In fairness, there are no historical links to the Caribbean (as Britain/France/Netherlands would have) and any route would be primarily business orientated.

A valid enough point, but only to a degree, but with regard to seasonal routes I see no reason why they would have to be primarily business orientated at all. Whilst there is no historical links as such, as you correctly say, the Caribbean is a large leisure market which could be tapped into......no reason at all to route through the US. Not all routes flown by an airline have to have historical links.

JAmie2k9

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 pm

Vicenza wrote:
kaitak wrote:
In fairness, there are no historical links to the Caribbean (as Britain/France/Netherlands would have) and any route would be primarily business orientated.

A valid enough point, but only to a degree, but with regard to seasonal routes I see no reason why they would have to be primarily business orientated at all. Whilst there is no historical links as such, as you correctly say, the Caribbean is a large leisure market which could be tapped into......no reason at all to route through the US. Not all routes flown by an airline have to have historical links.

Its about profit, not enough in it for them to justify to date with the resources available.

Not sure it could be considered a large market either.

OA260

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 am

marcogr12 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Ireland has never really had the demand for a dedicated Caribbean service. They tried a charter with a now closed Tour Operator Sunworld to Dominican Republic but it lost money. 6-8 departures of 14 night duration was too restrictive. They had advertised and issued brochures which included Cuba but they didnt get the permission to fly in the end.

Barbados was tried from BFS with BWIA but flopped too. It was a mixture of issues at BWIA and lack of demand. The only other flights have been one off charters from BFS to BGI for cruise ship passengers.

These routes did not work in the good times so doubt they will work from Ireland for the next few years at least. MAN will always have the demand for the Caribbean. Lots of reasons for that and strong links with the UK. Sizable Caribbean communities etc.. Ireland is a very limited market in that respect.

Most Irish tourists heading to the Caribbean go with BA/VS Via LGW/LHR ,AC Via YYZ or UA/AA through the USA. I dont see much change in that pattern once things start to recover. Aer Lingus has always played it safe and never likes to do much out of its comfort zone which is basically the USA. Only in recent times did they dip their toes in Canada on a long term basis.

BrianDromey

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 am

OA260 wrote:
Most Irish tourists heading to the Caribbean go with BA/VS Via LGW/LHR ,AC Via YYZ or UA/AA through the USA. I dont see much change in that pattern once things start to recover. Aer Lingus has always played it safe and never likes to do much out of its comfort zone which is basically the USA. Only in recent times did they dip their toes in Canada on a long term basis.

I agree to an extent. But I think the days of being able to add more US, or North American frequencies might be limited as business demand is likely to be limited, so these previously unserved 'adventurous' destinations become relatively less risky and more attractive. Something like 2x weekly with good feed from UK cities to the DUB Hub might work.

All of that said, the mood towards international travel is very negative in the UK press this weekend. The briefings seem to be a combination of worries about the availability of vaccine in both the UK and EU, the spiking in cases on the continent and even in Ireland which could drive new variants. Opening up domestic economies in the UK and Ireland, let alone travel between them is going to be a challenge for this summer, as things currently look. If deaths can be decoupled from cases this may be less of an issue, but again the threats of vaccine-resistant variants is the worry.

OA260

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I agree to an extent. But I think the days of being able to add more US, or North American frequencies might be limited as business demand is likely to be limited, so these previously unserved 'adventurous' destinations become relatively less risky and more attractive. Something like 2x weekly with good feed from UK cities to the DUB Hub might work.

All of that said, the mood towards international travel is very negative in the UK press this weekend. The briefings seem to be a combination of worries about the availability of vaccine in both the UK and EU, the spiking in cases on the continent and even in Ireland which could drive new variants. Opening up domestic economies in the UK and Ireland, let alone travel between them is going to be a challenge for this summer, as things currently look. If deaths can be decoupled from cases this may be less of an issue, but again the threats of vaccine-resistant variants is the worry.

No chance of adding anything to be honest unless a miracle happens. It will be a case of trying to get back what has been lost. That will take longer then people think. Adding ''exotic'' routes will be full of risk and I dont think Aer Lingus is in that frame of mind even under IAG. No surprise at the case rises in Ireland ! Its called St Patricks Day ;) One just has to look at the age groups of these cases to see the under 45's are breaking the rules and then everyone suffers.

Aviation wise its going to be a more restrictive Summer in Ireland compared to last year if the current trend continues. Especially when you look at the UK with a jab every 27 seconds and they are still warning about booking any holidays to a 51% vaccinated population. I just see all these airlines starting to lay on flights from DUB for July and August and cant help wonder how many of those naive enough to book will end up with vouchers and hours of wasted time trying to claw back their money.

--

Just an example :

Aer Lingus vouchers fail to take off for pandemic-hit consumers

Pricewatch: Airlines need not give cash refunds if consumers initially agree to vouchers

A year on and the impact of the early days of the pandemic is still being felt by Pricewatch readers, particularly when it comes to travel. Some hard lessons are being learned, particularly when it comes to vouchers.

“I am writing to you on behalf of a group of three families,” starts a mail we got from Darragh Ward. He made a group booking with Aer Lingus for six adults, a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old for a trip to Lanzarote last May and has now spent the guts of a year trying to get a refund of €3,700.

www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/aer-li ... -1.4514655

BrianDromey

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:19 am

OA260 wrote:
Aviation wise its going to be a more restrictive Summer in Ireland compared to last year if the current trend continues. Especially when you look at the UK with a jab every 27 seconds and they are still warning about booking any holidays to a 51% vaccinated population. I just see all these airlines starting to lay on flights from DUB for July and August and cant help wonder how many of those naive enough to book will end up with vouchers and hours of wasted time trying to claw back their money.

I agree that in some cases getting back what we had will be difficult, if not impossible because demand profiles will look very different. I think that opens opportunity for the more 'exotic' destinations, the Caribbean, Mexico, South African and the Indian Ocean, especially if those destinations open before the traditional Irish favourites in the EU or the US.

I think the UK government is terrified of the vaccine-resistant strains - the physical and mental health of the population cant sustain a third winter of lockdown. Let alone the economic damage. There has been quite a bit of coverage over the weekend of the high rates of COVID in people returning from "safe" destinations like Greece last summer. Certainly the mood music seems to be encouraging against International travel rather than towards it.