Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Sky Regional Airlines Inc. to close its doors

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:02 pm

The first mid-sized Canadian aviation victim of the pandemic. Sky Regional Airlines Inc. will shut down its commercial flight operations on March 31 after losing its Air Canada Express contract . https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... a-express/

foxalphazulu

Re: Sky Regional Airlines Inc. to close its doors

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 pm

All of this. Just hurts.

CFWAD

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Sadly, from their inception, they were always simply a pawn to get AC what it wanted out of Chorus Aviation.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

Thenoflyzone

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 pm

Some might argue this move was going to happen regardless of the pandemic.

Also, the airline will no longer exist, but the pilots and aircraft are both moving over to Jazz, once ALPA and Jazz come to an agreement.

And apparently WAWCON for the pilots is better at Jazz than at Sky. So it's not all doom and gloom.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Excerpts from the article above:

“Sadly, as a result, we will be forced to shut down our operations, despite our many adjustments in the face of the various travel restrictions imposed by governments, thus far without any sector- specific support,” said Russell Payson, founder and chief executive officer of Sky Regional.

“I am extremely proud of Sky Regional’s record, and its outstanding, innovative and dedicated team; and it is hard to reconcile the tragedy of today’s announcement given the strength and success of our organization.”

The transfer of the pilots to Jazz Aviation is subject to negotiations between Air Line Pilots Association and Jazz.

“Further to the termination of the [Air Canada agreement] between Air Canada and Sky Regional, Sky Regional will cease its operations and business, which includes, except for the pilots, the termination of employment for all its employees on March 31, 2021,” Sky Regional told employees in a memo, a copy of which was obtained by the Globe and Mail.

Condolences to its Cabin Crew and other work groups of Sky Regional Inc

aemoreira1981

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm

Not paywalled: https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 78.article

Jazz now intends to retire its DH8Cs, which could also be put up for lease. Will the brand remain Air Canada Express or revert to Jazz?

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:41 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Not paywalled: https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 78.article

Jazz now intends to retire its DH8Cs, which could also be put up for lease. Will the brand remain Air Canada Express or revert to Jazz?

It is to remain Air Canada Express

777luver

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 pm

This SkyRegional thing was talked about pre covid so its not surprising sadly. It makes business sense but half the people don't have jobs anymore.

alan3

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 pm

So with Jazz taking over all AC Express routes, what will happen to the former little Beechcraft routes like Gander-St John's, Toronto-Kingston, etc. ?

Gone for good or taken over by small local operators?

Vio

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Sadly, from their inception, they were always simply a pawn to get AC what it wanted out of Chorus Aviation.

Nailed it!
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

9252fly

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm

alan3 wrote:
So with Jazz taking over all AC Express routes, what will happen to the former little Beechcraft routes like Gander-St John's, Toronto-Kingston, etc. ?

Long gone. Some routes have been taken over by other smaller competitors.

m1m2

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:18 pm

That's a good question, although Jazz never operated any B1900 routes, at least not in the last 15 years. On the east coast, they were all operated (the Air Canada branded ones) by EVAS. They flew only 1900's for Air Canada. I'm hoping the routes will come back when things in the world improve.

northstardc4m

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm

alan3 wrote:

EVAS still exists but they are not branded Air Canada Express anymore. They were still operating flights bookable ACs site pre Covid, but they seem to be no longer available.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

JBo

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:45 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
alan3 wrote:

EVAS still exists but they are not branded Air Canada Express anymore. They were still operating flights bookable ACs site pre Covid, but they seem to be no longer available.

Wasn't that the case with Air Georgian/Alliance, too? I seem to remember their 1900s having the AC tail/titles painted out but remaining in the basic toothpaste colors, at least for a while.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

346fetish

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:16 pm

Is Jazz keeping its CRJ200s or retiring them with the DH1, DH3s?
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

northstardc4m

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm

JBo wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
alan3 wrote:

Wasn't that the case with Air Georgian/Alliance, too? I seem to remember their 1900s having the AC tail/titles painted out but remaining in the basic toothpaste colors, at least for a while.
No Georgian ACExpress is gone, the planes disposed of or sent to Jazz (CRJs). They were trying to start a thing with CRJs but nothing AC aligned.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

shoelessjoe

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:12 pm

GGN/ZX plans to operate as Pivot Airlines. Currently showing a fleet of a single CR1.

9252fly

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:02 pm

346fetish wrote:
Is Jazz keeping its CRJ200s or retiring them with the DH1, DH3s?

The DH1's are already gone and the plan is for the DH3's to be out of the fleet by the end of the year. The Jazz CPA with AC has a minimum fleet guarantee of 105 aircraft until the end of 2025 and 80 until the expiry of the contract in 2035. If you count up the 25 E75's, 35 CR9's and 44 DH4's you end up with 104. Of the aforementioned aircraft, 10 E75's, 5 CR9's and 10 DH4's are leased. The 15 CR2's are all owned to the best of my knowledge, however I think they will be the first one's out the door in 2025 with all the other leased aircraft.

9252fly

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 pm

m1m2 wrote:
That's a good question, although Jazz never operated any B1900 routes, at least not in the last 15 years. On the east coast, they were all operated (the Air Canada branded ones) by EVAS. They flew only 1900's for Air Canada. I'm hoping the routes will come back when things in the world improve.

The only routes coming back will be one's that can support CRJ2's 50 seats, CR9's 76 seats, E75's 75 seats and DH4's 78 seats. The CR2 requires good yield ( business traffic ) to be viable.

m1m2

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 pm

Well if that's right, we will have a lot of small communities on the east cost without air service. Routes like YQX - YYR, YYR - YWK, YQX - YYT, and the list goes on.

Airontario

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 pm

m1m2 wrote:
Well if that's right, we will have a lot of small communities on the east cost without air service. Routes like YQX - YYR, YYR - YWK, YQX - YYT, and the list goes on.

As far as I know PAL is operating these routes still.

m1m2

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 pm

"As far as I know PAL is operating these routes still."

Actually, I believe you are correct, I meant no disrespect to PAL. In fact, they have just recently began to operate some Q400's. I wouldn't hesitate to fly on a PAL airplane either, they just slipped my mind when I typed that last reply.

JBo

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
JBo wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

No Georgian ACExpress is gone, the planes disposed of or sent to Jazz (CRJs). They were trying to start a thing with CRJs but nothing AC aligned.

I know they aren't around anymore, but I thought there was a transitional period before they were phased out entirely where they were downgraded to a codeshare partner with AC rather than a full AC Express branded carrier.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

airman99o

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:46 pm

It was truly a fantastic run with this company. Was there from the start. Such a great bunch of people now disbanded and spread apart. Only 11 years ago to the day of this shut down My first airline Skyservice Airlines had its wings clipped. So March 31st has now become a hated day in the year. HA
THE sky will be missed the people will be missed. I truly hope myself and many others from there manage to make contrails again in the near future, if not it has been an amazing 21 years up there and will be surely missed. As the saying goes.... once bitten forever infected by the flying bug.
Stay safe n healthy everyone
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos