Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

ANA to turn Air Japan into a new mid-haul LCC brand

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Following the announcement from last October, ANA have now announced a number of changes in their corporate structure which will take effect from April 1st, including the setup of a new department for preparation of the third brand for the international flight business, using Air Japan to operate mid haul international LCC service, and is expected to launch in FY2022.
https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/221730

According to information published earlier, the main ANA will focus on covering premium demand as a full service carrier across all distance, their existing LCC Peach will focus on short haul monoclass flight using narrowbody aircraft, whule the new brand will make use of Boeing 787 with 2 class to provide mid distance service.
It's also said tjat, while Peach will also make use of A321LR to provide flights that are up to 7-hours long, but Peach is based at Kansai airport and focus toward inbound tourists from other countrues, they'd like the new airlines to be based at the capital area and cover both inbound and outbound market.
https://tabiris.com/archives/ana-new-lcc/

It was said that they expect the impact of novel coronavirus to last, continually impacting business demand and cannot restore to pre-coronavirus level, while leisure demand are expected to be strong, hence they want to have such brand to absorb new leisure demand.
https://www.j-cast.com/2020/10/27397544.html?p=all
----
I guess it'll be like JAL's ZipAir?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

IndianicWorld

Re: ANA to turn Air Japan into a new mid-haul LCC brand

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:54 pm

So many brands, but it makes sense to have a new product.

It’s amazing that JL chose to go with Zip Air and ANA with Air Japan when they could already leverage the existing Jetstar and Peach brands for those services. Seems to be added complexity.

Polot

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

It’s amazing that JL chose to go with Zip Air and ANA with Air Japan when they could already leverage the existing Jetstar and Peach brands for those services. Seems to be added complexity.

Using Jetstar is a no go because JL does not own the Jetstar brand (or even all of Jetstar Japan).

I’m not sure Peach is a great international brand name but then again I could say the same for Zipair.

Weatherwatcher1

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Am I the only English speaker who thinks the Air Japan brand sounds like it would be a part of Japan Airlines and not ANA?

IndianicWorld

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 pm

^^ It is close yes. Could cause some confusion out there.

Polot wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

Using Jetstar is a no go because JL does not own the Jetstar brand (or even all of Jetstar Japan).

Yes, forgot about that part of the equation. That would definitely be a strong driver of such a decision. It just seems to be a more complex operating structure operating more brands at first viewing, but yes point taken.

Air Japan is an easier step to take, given it already has significant operations and the transition to operate these services should be more straight forward.

conaly

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Does Air Japan own any passenger aircraft at all? AFAIK they were only dry leasing 767 and 787 from ANA mainline, but the same aircraft could be operated for ANA and the next day fly for Air Japan. Do they plan to continue this sharing or will they fully buy or lease the planes in the future?
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

russyyz

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 pm

So what happens with Skymark? And does anyone know if the 3 x A380's will end up with Air Japan since they are focused on Hawaii leisure?
2021: ATL, BOS, YUL, YQB, JFK, GDL, MEX, MID, MIA fingers crossed!
2022: HKG, SIN, BKK, HEL, EDI, LBA, SOU, LGW, MEX, VER, GDL, SFO, JAN, MLU, LHR, ZRH, KEF

c933103
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:27 pm

russyyz wrote:
So what happens with Skymark?

https://biz-journal.jp/2020/01/post_138529_2.html
Skymark is cutting back their cooperation with ANA as they prepares for reenlisting on the stock market. ANA is expected to maintain some degree of relationship with Skynark to avoid Skymark collaborating with other airlines groups but that's it. Skymark itself would like to walk a way between full service carrier and LCC.
And does anyone know if the 3 x A380's will end up with Air Japan since they are focused on Hawaii leisure?

I don't think so given those A380 are quite premium heavy, even when they're focusing on leisure route?
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

vhtje

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:29 pm

Doesn't Air Japan do a bunch of mid-haul flying for ANA already? I looked to go to Australia a few months ago, and one of the cheaper options was ANA on a 787, operated by Air Japan:

How does this arrangement change that?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

c933103
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:32 pm

vhtje wrote:
Doesn't Air Japan do a bunch of mid-haul flying for ANA already? I looked to go to Australia a few months ago, and one of the cheaper options was ANA on a 787, operated by Air Japan:

Every services they're offering now are under the ANA brand and provide ANA service. They want ut to get its own new brand that would offer LCC service.

Ziyulu

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm

If AA, UA, and DL do something similar domestically, they can be world class airlines.

cathay747

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Can somebody please explain what it is that Air Japan does for NH? I've never understood what the "deal" or relationship/purpose is with Air Japan, since they're NH aircraft in NH livery with small "Air Japan" titles back by the registration.
Try a Little VC-10derness

debonair

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:21 am

You will find all answers in this excellent, outstanding article:

https://worldairlinenews.com/tag/air-japan/

rbretas

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:55 am

cathay747 wrote:
Can somebody please explain what it is that Air Japan does for NH? I've never understood what the "deal" or relationship/purpose is with Air Japan, since they're NH aircraft in NH livery with small "Air Japan" titles back by the registration.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Air Japan can hire pilots without a Japanese specific license. They also seem to operate more similarly to foreign companies, which gives them more flexibility to hire and fire people than it is usual in Japan without getting too much heat from the government (i.e. fixed term contracts, mid-career hires with starting salaries as low as young hires, etc).

Kent350787

Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 am

vhtje wrote:

Yet it is still an ANA liveried 3 class 789, at least pre-Covid and currently. It would be a little odd to downgrade against JL's own 3 class services on the route, unless they see the route as low yield against JL.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

eamondzhang

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am

cathay747 wrote:

Air Japan currently is flying for NH only with both flight deck and cabin crews having experiences elsewhere, in flight crews' case many of them are also holding overseas nationalities (NH is purely fresh uni graduates for all Japanese-based cabin crew and AFAIK pilots are all Japanese)

Air Japan also operates/d 767 freighters up until the pandemic

rbretas wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Air Japan can hire pilots without a Japanese specific license. They also seem to operate more similarly to foreign companies, which gives them more flexibility to hire and fire people than it is usual in Japan without getting too much heat from the government (i.e. fixed term contracts, mid-career hires with starting salaries as low as young hires, etc).

Pilots flying for Air Japan are still required to be converted to Japanese licenses but everything else is correct

Michael

radmobile

Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am

Ziyulu wrote:
If AA, UA, and DL do something similar domestically, they can be world class airlines.

Yeah, I remember how well Ted and Song worked...

NZ321

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:20 pm

radmobile wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Yeah, I remember how well Ted and Song worked...

Don't be so pessimistic. I have flown Air Japan numerous times and I would say most people wouldn't notice the difference between ANA and Air Japan - plane looks the same, so do the crew, the on board flow-through product is excellent. Seats are identical. From a customer point of view not a lot to complain about. I'd say what is being proposed here, is to take the product a little toward the lighter end of the spectrum than at present. I'd say if that happens, some existing routes will be reassigned to ANA or dropped - e.g. SYD, SIN, KUL. Time will tell.
Plane mad!

FSflyer899

Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:45 pm

I believe Air Japan has been operating all ANA's Tokyo to Hong Kong flights for years and I have been on numbers of those flights. Don't exactly know what others cities they have been serving but seems they are growing their international market.

Ziyulu

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:17 pm

In the US, when you fly AA, UA, or DL on an international segment and then connect domestically, you see a very great service reduction even though it's the same airline. Going from full-service carrier to ULCC at times. So if US carriers do something similar, they can be 5 star airlines.

yulexpansion

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Is Air Japan expected to take over NH flying to S-E Asia and also feed long-haul flying? If so, it would need to keep the overnight layovers in outstations that NH normally has, which naturally take a toll on utilization.

filipinoavgeek

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:21 pm

FSflyer899 wrote:
I believe Air Japan has been operating all ANA's Tokyo to Hong Kong flights for years and I have been on numbers of those flights. Don't exactly know what others cities they have been serving but seems they are growing their international market.

I think they're also the ones who fly at least some of the 767 flights to SE Asia, at least before the 787s became dominant in that market. Previously when Tokyo-MNL was primarily served by 767s at least some of the flights were operated by Air Japan, though the current 787s are flown by mainline ANA. I'm less familiar with other cities in SE Asia but I presume the circumstances were similar.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos