Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JerseyFlyer
Topic Author

All-PE A350s from Prague and Dubrovnik

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 am

Accoring to Simple Flying:

No, it is not April 1st!

"A new all-A350 airline is coming, and its name is PRAGUSA.ONE. The ambitious carrier will be based out of Prague and Dubrovnik, and will fly around the world with AIrbus A350-900s. Most excitingly, the airline plans to outfit its widebodies with an all-premium economy arrangement, offering a new take on affordable long-haul comfort."

4 new aircraft to be delivered in 2024, but starting this year with leased A350s and A330s.

https://simpleflying.com/coming-soon-an ... p-airline/

davidjohnson6

Re: All-PE A350s from Prague and Dubrovnik

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:37 am

I *really* hope they have very deep and broad codeshare agreements from the very start with either both or Smartwings / CSA and Croatia Airlines, or alternately a wide range of carriers in other countries

Rossiya747

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:00 pm

How much will the fares be? I'm interested :D

davidjohnson6

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Pretty pictures, but nothing in the way of fares
https://www.pragusa.one/

Seems to be run by Kresimir Budinski - he's on LinkedIn with plenty of bio data. Companies House lists the contact address as being near Zagreb but LinkedIn shows him based near London
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... y/12840638
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

digitalcloud

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:10 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I *really* hope they have very deep and broad codeshare agreements from the very start with either both or Smartwings / CSA and Croatia Airlines, or alternately a wide range of carriers in other countries

Why? Looks like they are after the premium leisure market.

Livery looks like someone let their child use MS Paint for the first time.

A320B737NGCapt

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Why wait for four years to buy new when there are plenty of NTU A359’s of the 280T variant stored. It certainly would be more cost efficient and not have to swap the fleet in 3 years time.

MIflyer12

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Why wait for four years to buy new when there are plenty of NTU A359’s of the 280T variant stored. It certainly would be more cost efficient and not have to swap the fleet in 3 years time.

Or used A330s. I can't imagine how they can use 359 range and size profitably out of those markets.

PM

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:05 pm

How many of these ambitious schemes have we witnessed? How many have actually happened?

lowfareair

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Highly doubt this will take off, but I could see it being potentially viable if it alternates between bringing pax to Prague/Dubrovnik from the cities on their route map in summer and then Europe to higher-end warm weather destinations in winter (thinking places like MIA/BGI/MLE/etc).

Would need to be
1) An A330 or other type that's a bit cheaper to acquire so they can sit out shoulder seasons
2) A mix of premium economy and lie-flat business as any market high-end enough that it can handle an all Prem-Eco plane can likely do the same with some J up front

Polot

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:

Or used A330s. I can't imagine how they can use 359 range and size profitably out of those markets.

I think the aircraft choice is one of the least suspect thing about their business plan and how it will be profitable.

superjeff

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:23 pm

I think there may be a market for this type of service, although not sure how long it will take to develop it. Prague could be a "reasonable" hub, if they can develop spokes from there, or if they can do something jointly with CSA/Smartwings. PE has demand on long haul flights these days, and is usually sold out on the majors (I think, partially because most airlines only have 24-30 seats in PE. An A330 size airplane (either -200 or -300) probably makes more sense than an A350, but from a passenger standpoint, not much difference. Do they have the backing to afford the newer, more expensive type, and how do the economics stand up for their type of operation, as proposed?

A320B737NGCapt

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Polot wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:

I think the aircraft choice is one of the least suspect thing about their business plan and how it will be profitable.

Completely agree, used A330’s or 787’s in a 3 class configuration would be a better way to go. Giving more choice to the customer. I really can’t see a single class PE working in a aircraft the size of the A350 for a new airline. We’ve all see the failures of similar projects like this over the last few years.

chonetsao

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:32 pm

This has to be a joke or a fraud. Is it even worth discussion? I mean how can you do transatlantic flying without even considering London, Dublin or Paris? Sometimes we need people to do a surprise me moment but this is definitely has phishy smell allover it.

visual8L

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:22 pm

Say this with your nose high in the air " Vell- I just need my passport purse and poodle and here vee go reever cruisink darlingk'
Yeah seems like anticipation of some stagnant overloaded travel wallets

Vio

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Well Dubrovnik is a very nice place. I've been there a few times. Would I fly from LA to Dubrovnik just to vacation? Unlikely. Not unless I was Croatian, Montenegrin, Albanian or Bosnian. Basically, if I had family around there and it would make sense, instead of connecting via Frankfurt or some other European Hub. I honestly don't see this working out well. Who knows? Maybe they know something I don't.

Texas77

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 pm

digitalcloud wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Livery looks like someone let their child use MS Paint for the first time.

I was thinking the same thing, well said. Doesn't make me think "premium"

davidjohnson6

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm

The livery can easily be changed nearer the time when they take delivery of an aircraft.
I'd be much more worried first about ensuring the business model is viable....

smartplane

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

And even deeper and broader pockets.

ScottB

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:23 pm

superjeff wrote:
PE has demand on long haul flights these days, and is usually sold out on the majors (I think, partially because most airlines only have 24-30 seats in PE.

And... there you have the key problem with this business plan. Yes, there is demand for premium economy transatlantic (at least, in non-pandemic times) but not ~200 seats' worth daily to PRG or DBV. You might be able to get that amount of demand to LHR/CDG/FRA/AMS but on a single flight that really only works from NYC.

Outside of peak season you're going to struggle to even fill a daily transatlantic A330 with regular economy to/from PRG or DBV. The demand just isn't there because it gets cold and dreary for several months of the year.

N292UX

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Where on earth to they plan on flying to? JFK seems the only somewhat logical starting route from DBV. JFK/YYZ/IAD/BOS could probably work from PRG to start. I just don't see there being many more options for all-PE A350s from PRG/DBV outside of those places. Maybe MIA/YUL/ORD/LAX but those may be a stretch.

ztmsl

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:47 pm

Flying to Dubrovnik may well be aimed at cruise passengers. Which would make these flights more or less charter flights. At the least they need contracts with cruise companies to come close to a viable plan.

crosscheckyyz

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 am

N292UX wrote:
Where on earth to they plan on flying to? JFK seems the only somewhat logical starting route from DBV. JFK/YYZ/IAD/BOS could probably work from PRG to start. I just don't see there being many more options for all-PE A350s from PRG/DBV outside of those places. Maybe MIA/YUL/ORD/LAX but those may be a stretch.

You gotta realize too that the market to PRG and DBV are very seasonal esp when its VFR and tourist traffic to YYZ/YUL, unsure about the US destinations but I'd believe it'd be the same. What are the planes gonna do the rest of the year? Maybe charters to places like Thailand or Vietnam for the local market?

N292UX

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:56 am

crosscheckyyz wrote:
N292UX wrote:

You gotta realize too that the market to PRG and DBV are very seasonal esp when its VFR and tourist traffic to YYZ/YUL, unsure about the US destinations but I'd believe it'd be the same. What are the planes gonna do the rest of the year? Maybe charters to places like Thailand or Vietnam for the local market?

Charters to places like Phuket and maybe the Maldives in the winter seems logical

Sokes

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:33 am

Why not A380s? They are cheap at the moment.

ELBOB

Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am

Unless these aircraft are going to be operated on someone else's AOC they're going to have a couple of years of inefficient routing until the airline is ETOPS-cleared. Why not start with some A346s, plenty sitting around and the fuel-burn difference could be balanced by direct routing.

airbazar

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:32 pm

The news is extremely vague. They may be based in Prague or Dubrovnik in the same way that HiFly is based in Malta but that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be flying any passenger routes in and out of those cities. Could there be some demand for higher end passenger charter service? Possibly.

Polot

Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:42 pm

airbazar wrote:
The news is extremely vague. They may be based in Prague or Dubrovnik in the same way that HiFly is based in Malta but that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be flying any passenger routes in and out of those cities. Could there be some demand for higher end passenger charter service? Possibly.

It’s not vague at all. They have a website with a proposed route map: https://www.pragusa.one/

ikolkyo

Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:01 pm

This sounds like a disaster

N965UW

Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 pm

A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Polot wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Completely agree, used A330’s or 787’s in a 3 class configuration would be a better way to go. Giving more choice to the customer. I really can’t see a single class PE working in a aircraft the size of the A350 for a new airline. We’ve all see the failures of similar projects like this over the last few years.

Don't know if it was there before, but their website now states "A330 & A350 Fleet." Plenty of nice used A332 out there. I don't see this business model filling an A333 entirely with PE. The A350 has the double problem of not being easily fillable with all PE in these markets and having more range than they'll ever need. If these people are new to the airline business, they may not realize that airport charges are based on MTOW, and there's no sense in hauling around more than you need.

Sokes wrote:

They may be cheap to acquire, but not to operate. Considering that major airlines aren't even finding them profitable, a startup leisure/charter operator would strain to make them work. You may point to Hi Fly as a counterexample, but they get enough external business to sustain it (at least pre-COVID, since their A380 is now gone).

ELBOB wrote:
Unless these aircraft are going to be operated on someone else's AOC they're going to have a couple of years of inefficient routing until the airline is ETOPS-cleared. Why not start with some A346s, plenty sitting around and the fuel-burn difference could be balanced by direct routing.

The 46 would also be a bit large for this operation. The A343 would make more sense. But if this somehow becomes viable in the long term, it might not be worth the investment to acquire 4 holers that would only be needed for a few years. That would be an important cost-benefit analysis: does the cost of operating non-ETOPS with twins for a few years outweigh the cost of getting quads? This would also create a mixed fleet situation if they have A340s while working towards ETOPS certification on A330s or A350s.

Looking at their route map, I can see PRG-JFK conflicting with AA's PRG-PHL service if and when that resumes again, not to mention that they'll have to find JFK slots.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 pm

N965UW wrote:
A320B737NGCapt wrote:
Polot wrote:

Don't know if it was there before, but their website now states "A330 & A350 Fleet." Plenty of nice used A332 out there. I don't see this business model filling an A333 entirely with PE. The A350 has the double problem of not being easily fillable with all PE in these markets and having more range than they'll ever need. If these people are new to the airline business, they may not realize that airport charges are based on MTOW, and there's no sense in hauling around more than you need.

Sokes wrote:

They may be cheap to acquire, but not to operate. Considering that major airlines aren't even finding them profitable, a startup leisure/charter operator would strain to make them work. You may point to Hi Fly as a counterexample, but they get enough external business to sustain it (at least pre-COVID, since their A380 is now gone).

ELBOB wrote:

The 46 would also be a bit large for this operation. The A343 would make more sense. But if this somehow becomes viable in the long term, it might not be worth the investment to acquire 4 holers that would only be needed for a few years. That would be an important cost-benefit analysis: does the cost of operating non-ETOPS with twins for a few years outweigh the cost of getting quads? This would also create a mixed fleet situation if they have A340s while working towards ETOPS certification on A330s or A350s.

Looking at their route map, I can see PRG-JFK conflicting with AA's PRG-PHL service if and when that resumes again, not to mention that they'll have to find JFK slots.

As of right now they plan to serve EWR not JFK.

airbazar

Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 pm

Polot wrote:
airbazar wrote:

It’s not vague at all. They have a website with a proposed route map: https://www.pragusa.one/

Which might be completely misleading. Pretty much all it says on that website is: "Tailored travel products and airline for the globetrotters!"
If that's not vague I don't know what is.

Polot

Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm

airbazar wrote:
Polot wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Which might be completely misleading. Pretty much all it says on that website is: "Tailored travel products and airline for the globetrotters!"
If that's not vague I don't know what is.

Not sure what would be the point of issuing a misleading route map. It’s not like they even have planes at the moment to attract charter clientele.

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:07 pm

ScottB wrote:
superjeff wrote:
PE has demand on long haul flights these days, and is usually sold out on the majors (I think, partially because most airlines only have 24-30 seats in PE.

And... there you have the key problem with this business plan. Yes, there is demand for premium economy transatlantic (at least, in non-pandemic times) but not ~200 seats' worth daily to PRG or DBV. You might be able to get that amount of demand to LHR/CDG/FRA/AMS but on a single flight that really only works from NYC.

Outside of peak season you're going to struggle to even fill a daily transatlantic A330 with regular economy to/from PRG or DBV. The demand just isn't there because it gets cold and dreary for several months of the year.

Another problem (and it's not a short list) is that people paying for PE (Americans, anyway) will want schedule flexibility. 1x a week isn't going to work. I don't see how they could conceivably fill all-PE to PRG or DBV from any American city other than NYC, and not even that 3x weekly outside of a ~15 week season.

Sokes

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:41 am

N965UW wrote:
Sokes wrote:

I should have put a smiley.
I thought A350 from Dubrovnik is quite ambitious. Therefore the joke.

Antarius

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:59 am

crosscheckyyz wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Hajj charters. :lol:

Antaras

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:34 pm

crosscheckyyz wrote:
N292UX wrote:

TUI/Neos used to operate non-stop 787 service to the Island of Phú Quốc (PQC). As the Vietnamese government is encouraging direct connection between the island and EU to make it a worthy opponent to Phuket, I think that this would be a potential destination for Pragusa1

Jacob02

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 am

It looks like 1x weekly service for each of the destinations, so could work if they get groups booked for a good part of the cabin, and fill the rest with O/D or in partnership with a local airline (OK/SmartWings from PRG?).

The livery looks ugly, to be honest, but that's the smallest problem they face right now.

jetwet1

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:23 am

ScottB wrote:

To the first part, no, pre covid any airport in the US with widebody service can push 200+ pax a day in W on a single flight to LHR/CDG etc

Second part, totally agree, though, Prague was starting to get on the radar over here, we were actually supposed to go last year.

JakubH

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Still sounds rather suspicious but the founder suggests bookings could start in late-April with flights commencing after travel restrictions are eased. Interview with Budinski: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1612903/8226162

I do not know how to feel - while it would be fantastic to have better long-haul service to and from PRG especially, I am worried this will fail without codeshare agreements and/or larger airline backing. Yet, Prague is an exciting place to visit and Czech could be casually heard in the national parks of California and cities of Asia before the pandemic.

jerseyewr777

PRAGUSA.ONE announces EWR & LAX

Sun May 02, 2021 5:32 pm

I just saw this announcement & thought I would share!!

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/trav ... -dubrovnik

MIflyer12

Re: PRAGUSA.ONE announces EWR & LAX

Sun May 02, 2021 6:00 pm

The company will operate Airbus A330-300 between New York and Dubrovnik offering 15,700 seats in total. The flights will operate on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday from New York and Dubrovnik.

Airbus A340 will be engaged on the flights between Los Angeles and Dubrovnik offering 14,700 seats in total. The flights will operate on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday from Los Angeles and Dubrovnik.

Are these flights going to appear in U.S.-focused booking engines Orbtiz, Kayak, Expedia, etc.?

Nicknuzzii

Sun May 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Can we update the title now that the plan is set?

debonair

Sun May 02, 2021 11:13 pm

According to the article:
Pragusa.One Ltd. is a UK-based travel company established in August 2020.

A UK travel company flying from the US to Croatia with A330 and A340 - you must be joking... What kind of AOC and traffic rights will they use eventually? :scratchchin:

davidjohnson6

Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 pm

They could just end up booking seats on United's flight from Newark to Dubrovnik, with connections on the LAX-EWR sector...

JakubH

Mon May 03, 2021 12:21 am

A very short time to fill the aircraft once bookings start (if it really goes forward) but would be great if it worked out. Cannot wait for the LAX-PRG route.

spinkid

Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 am

I hope it works out for them, that being said, once they are up and running I'll try them out quick before I might miss the chance. Peopple will travel on carriers like this if the price is right and leisure travel is on the rebound for the summer. I'm assuming these countries are welcoming to Americans right now. International Travel and Covid quarantines that are mandatory are forcing people out of a summer holiday.
Personally I'd gladly fly into Dubrovnik, Hop around the area before heading home. If they can fill these flights with travel agents who are often popular in the VFR community they can get more seats filled. Any time there is a non stop vs a connection, people will always want the non stop unless they are very loyal FF.

davidjohnson6

Mon May 03, 2021 1:12 am

Covid case rates in Croatia are rather higher than epidemiologists like to see. I do not wish to stop you buying a ticket with Pragusa, but would like to ensure that if you do buy a ticket you should not get a nasty surprise. Consider the data carefully before spending money with Pragusa, and potentially finding you have to go into some sort of quarantine on leaving Croatia
You may wish to take a look at the following links
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... y/croatia/
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... Cumulative

Someone83

Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 am

Looks like it will be operated by HiFly

debonair

Mon May 03, 2021 12:34 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
They could just end up booking seats on United's flight from Newark to Dubrovnik, with connections on the LAX-EWR sector...

Some more updates can be found here: https://worldairlinenews.com/2021/05/03 ... ll-it-fly/

AOC will be applied for in Croatia, first flight on June 21st 2021...

JerseyFlyer
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 12:46 pm

The plan seems to remain all-premium A350s, the 330 / 340 operation with leased frames is a stop-gap untyil 350s are available:

"PRAGUSA.ONE, the A350 startup in the making, is planning to launch operations next month with leased Airbus A330 and A340 aircraft ahead of the arrival of two A350s.......The company plans to operate both of these routes with Airbus A350s in Premium-only configuration once the aircraft arrive in its fleet"

https://simpleflying.com/pragusa-one-launch-plans/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos