Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy
Topic Author

AA large AUS expansion

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx

--- American introduces seven year-round and three seasonal routes to Austin in response to customer demand.

---- Four new codeshare routes with Alaska Airlines from Austin to the West Coast offer 10 more daily departures beginning in May.

---- American and its partners – JetBlue, Alaska Airlines and British Airways – offer 26 destinations from Austin this summer.

BNA, LAS, MCO, MSY, RDU, TPA, & IAD all will be 1-2x daily

ASE, SJD, & VPS sat only
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Re: AA large AUS expansion

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Very cool they got Oracle involved:

“Austin is a vibrant technology hub where companies like Oracle are growing, investing and innovating for the future,” said Rita Visser, Director of Global Travel Sourcing, Oracle. “We look forward to relying on American Airlines’ additional routes to support not just employees traveling to our new Austin headquarters, but also our customers and partners who are building their businesses with Oracle Cloud.”
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Jet-lagged

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 pm

The quote in the press release from the Director of Travel Sourcing at Oracle was a nice touch.

maps4ltd

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 pm

DL's gonna have a tough time building a focus city--if it does at all.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:16 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
DL's gonna have a tough time building a focus city--if it does at all.

I was just going to say, this virtually kills any chance DL had of a focus city in AUS.

Ishrion

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Seriously, Delta's been conservative during the pandemic. While AA and JetBlue have been expanding in New York/Boston, Delta really hasn't retaliated. Now AA's creating more of an Austin "focus city". This will be fun to watch.

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:20 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Seriously, Delta's been conservative during the pandemic. While AA and JetBlue have been expanding in New York/Boston, Delta really hasn't retaliated. Now AA's creating more of an Austin "focus city". This will be fun to watch.

No kidding. Them and UA are just rolling over.

dfdubflyer

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Dont mess with (American in) Texas

If these routes actually start I'm not really sure what space DL could carve out for themselves. Their product isn't so much better to outweigh the network AA would offer to AAdvantage elites in Austin

jfklganyc

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:21 pm

AA was always strong in AUS.

Just 15 years ago, all those WN 737s were AA MD 80s.

Just returning to their roots

flyinghippo

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm

This definitely throws a monkey wrench in DL's plans to make AUS a focus city. AA's partner strategy with AS and B6 should reap benefits down the road. AA is also the dominant airline in some of the "emerging" cities in the US - Phoenix, Austin & Charlotte.

I wonder if/how DL will react to this.

runway23

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm

You snooze you lose.

Delta must be telling themselves they should have kept their plans quiet.

USAirALB

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:29 pm

It's the battle over the millennials! Quite frankly I wonder how much of this was planned prior to DL's recent AUS focus city announcement.

IAD/LAS/MCO/TPA/SJD are all mainline. ASE is a CR7, and everything else is an E175.

AUS-IAD is an interesting one. Obviously they can't serve AUS-DCA without a perimeter slot, but I found the public comment from an AA Exec (that has since been retracted) stating something akin to "we would obviously rather do DCA, but IAD is the second best option".
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

tphuang

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:32 pm

So, most of this is actually a huge shot against WN.

non-hub flying to leisure destinations with a lot of LCC/ULCC competition typically are low profitability stuff for legacy carriers, even one with as many ff in AUS as AA. What's the point of this? They are already far and away the legacy of choice in AUS. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me in absence of DL adding routes there.

WN732

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Definitely puts a huge damper on DL, especially after they spent all that money on the SkyClub. Will be interesting to see if DL retaliates and if WN throws their hat in the ring too.

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm

How many gates does AA have in AUS?

They'll need to improve their Admirals Club there as well if they keep this up.

xdlx

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:37 pm

No Caribbean Love? MBJ, SJU, GCM?

Ishrion

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Did AUS-SJC get axed?

"Today’s new route announcements complement existing American service between AUS and Boston (BOS); Charlotte (CLT); Chicago O’Hare (ORD); Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW); Los Angeles (LAX); Miami (MIA); New York (JFK); Philadelphia (PHL); and Phoenix (PHX)."

khowaga

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Runway765 wrote:

They have 5 gates, all in the west pier: 23, 24, 26, 28 and 30.

And, yes, Admiral’s Club is in desperate need of an upgrade and expansion. Pre-pandemic it was standing room only in late afternoon (especially when BA was using the 744), and very stuffy. Friendly staff, but the guests were tripping over each other.

khowaga

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Did AUS-SJC get axed?

"Today’s new route announcements complement existing American service between AUS and Boston (BOS); Charlotte (CLT); Chicago O’Hare (ORD); Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW); Los Angeles (LAX); Miami (MIA); New York (JFK); Philadelphia (PHL); and Phoenix (PHX)."

IIRC it was a victim of the pandemic.

BA744PHX

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Did AUS-SJC get axed?

Its noted in the article SJD is a seasonal extension

maverick4002

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm

tphuang wrote:

non-hub flying to leisure destinations with a lot of LCC/ULCC competition typically are low profitability stuff for legacy carriers, even one with as many ff in AUS as AA. What's the point of this? They are already far and away the legacy of choice in AUS. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me in absence of DL adding routes there.

Lol. Except for that one airline, there is fault in your eyes for literally anything another airline announces.

kbmiflyer

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
VPS sat only

Wow, that is ...... interesting. VPS has been picking up a lot of flights lately. The little terminal is going to be pretty crowded on Saturdays this summer with the seasonal Allegiant schedule, WN entering the market, and possibly more one off flights like this one.

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:58 pm

khowaga wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

They have 5 gates, all in the west pier: 23, 24, 26, 28 and 30.

And, yes, Admiral’s Club is in desperate need of an upgrade and expansion. Pre-pandemic it was standing room only in late afternoon (especially when BA was using the 744), and very stuffy. Friendly staff, but the guests were tripping over each other.

They'll need more gates and an upgraded club in that case.

USAirALB

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:58 pm

tphuang wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily consider AUS-BNA/RDU leisure routes, and AA was on AUS-RDU roughly 10 or so years ago with a S80. There's a decent level of business travel between the cities, although I wonder how much of it has resumed at this point or if AA is just betting on business travelers returning this summer.

If you want to get extremely technical, IAD is a Washington DC co-terminal for AA so the IAD is essentially serving an AA hub city. AA would most definitely serve DCA-AUS if they could so they are going with the second best option. Lots of tech companies (Oracle) included have huge campuses along the Dulles Technology Corridor.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

seatback

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Long term, I hope AUS has a master plan that includes tripling its gate capacity. I don't think AA can manage this growth with 5 gates. BTW, what's the average daily departures from AUS?

Wacko55

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Very cool they got Oracle involved:

“Austin is a vibrant technology hub where companies like Oracle are growing, investing and innovating for the future,” said Rita Visser, Director of Global Travel Sourcing, Oracle. “We look forward to relying on American Airlines’ additional routes to support not just employees traveling to our new Austin headquarters, but also our customers and partners who are building their businesses with Oracle Cloud.”

I can't remember what thread it was in awhile back but posters were saying that Oracle's HQ move wasn't really going to stimulate air service/demand. It was more of a symbolic move. I guess they were a bit off. The airlines are positioning themselves for the future of Austin. Within the next year there will be some huge announcements concerning more HQ moves to Austin. Also I've heard that the future airport expansion is beginning to gain steam as well. DL had better respond soon or they will be left in the dust!

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

seatback wrote:
Long term, I hope AUS has a master plan that includes tripling its gate capacity. I don't think AA can manage this growth with 5 gates. BTW, what's the average daily departures from AUS?

There is a plan to build a 32 gate satellite concourse and a new consolidated head terminal at AUS, but it has been delayed due to the pandemic. They really need to get going on it though. AUS badly needs more gates.

DFW17L

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Jet-lagged wrote:
The quote in the press release from the Director of Travel Sourcing at Oracle was a nice touch.

Go big red.

Ishrion

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Did AUS-SJC get axed?

Its noted in the article SJD is a seasonal extension

San Jose California, not San Jose Mexico

khowaga wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Did AUS-SJC get axed?

It's still scheduled to start in May, along with BOS. I was wondering since they mentioned BOS but not SJC.

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Ishrion wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Did AUS-SJC get axed?

It's still scheduled to start in May, along with BOS. I was wondering since they mentioned BOS but not SJC.

Doesn't AS already cover SJC and SFO? Does AA need to run it on their own metal right now?

phatfarmlines

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:13 pm

tphuang wrote:

As you indirectly mentioned, WN offers nonstop service out of AUS to these destinations. They've been doing it for many years now, so why would AA all of a sudden retaliate against WN?

Oracle's product reaches globally. While Oracle could have some domestic contract with WN, its the global contract with AA that will benefit the most. And that, with AA mentioning Oracle in the press release, really is a wrench against DL's focus expansion plans.

Runway765 wrote:
There is a plan to build a 32 gate satellite concourse and a new consolidated head terminal at AUS, but it has been delayed due to the pandemic. They really need to get going on it though. AUS badly needs more gates.

I suppose AUS could extend the South Terminal in the interim for the ULCCs. Looking at Google Maps, seems there are a few hangars that could be joined to the existing building.

USAirALB

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 pm

AA still has AUS-SJC in the schedule, showing a twice daily service with 738s.

WN732

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
tphuang wrote:

As you indirectly mentioned, WN offers nonstop service out of AUS to these destinations. They've been doing it for many years now, so why would AA all of a sudden retaliate against WN?

Oracle's product reaches globally. While Oracle could have some domestic contract with WN, its the global contract with AA that will benefit the most. And that, with AA mentioning Oracle in the press release, really is a wrench against DL's focus expansion plans.

Runway765 wrote:

I suppose AUS could extend the South Terminal in the interim for the ULCCs. Looking at Google Maps, seems there are a few hangars that could be joined to the existing building.

Yes, throw NK over there.

tphuang

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:15 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Lol. Except for that one airline, there is fault in your eyes for literally anything another airline announces.

that's funny, I just praised AS yesterday for their moves.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1458615#p22686767

USAirALB wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily consider AUS-BNA/RDU leisure routes, and AA was on AUS-RDU roughly 10 or so years ago with a S80. There's a decent level of business travel between the cities, although I wonder how much of it has resumed at this point or if AA is just betting on business travelers returning this summer.

If you want to get extremely technical, IAD is a Washington DC co-terminal for AA so the IAD is essentially serving an AA hub city. AA would most definitely serve DCA-AUS if they could so they are going with the second best option. Lots of tech companies (Oracle) included have huge campuses along the Dulles Technology Corridor.

IAD makes sense. It's an obvious missing hole from AUS in a small focus city strategy. The rest of them are either heavily leisure or leisure leaning + heavily dominated by WN.

Cubsrule

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:20 pm

USAirALB wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Depending on how they schedule, BNA/RDU may also offer easier connections to LGA and DCA than the hubs do. Standing on its own, that almost certainly does not have enough value to start the routes, but it may not be a bad cherry on top.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

alohashirts

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:23 pm

With these additions by AS and AA is it possible to make connections in AUS now? Hopefully AA/AS keeps adding more routes to AUS. Would love to see a few others added such as SNA/SLC/MCI.

Also I don’t know where DL goes from here. Like many have said, they showed their hand too early. Crazy as it sounds I wonder if DL should look into building DFW into a focus city now, that’s for a different thread though.

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:23 pm

flyinghippo wrote:
This definitely throws a monkey wrench in DL's plans to make AUS a focus city. AA's partner strategy with AS and B6 should reap benefits down the road. AA is also the dominant airline in some of the "emerging" cities in the US - Phoenix, Austin & Charlotte.

DL's plans in AUS were always wishful thinking. All of their hubs being 1000 miles away makes them pretty useless for AUS based travellers.

phatfarmlines

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:29 pm

alohashirts wrote:
With these additions by AS and AA is it possible to make connections in AUS now? Hopefully AA/AS keeps adding more routes to AUS. Would love to see a few others added such as SNA/SLC/MCI.

Also I don’t know where DL goes from here. Like many have said, they showed their hand too early. Crazy as it sounds I wonder if DL should look into building DFW into a focus city now, that’s for a different thread though.

A benefit of the "tag team" approach is playing out in AUS between AA/AS/B6.

AA gobbling all of the open gates, including Terminal E, at DFW will prevent DL (and NK, whom that action was originally intended for) from expanding. Also, even if DL were to expand at DFW, ATL is building an expansion at Concourse T-North where AA would be glad to return the favor.

seatback

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Runway765 wrote:
seatback wrote:

Austin city/airport planners certainly did a poor job looking into the future. Austin is one of the newest airports in the US and already needs an overhaul.

n9801f

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Nice move by AA.

Very smart to have Oracle involved.

Looks tough for DL's dreams about AUS.

Runway765

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
flyinghippo wrote:

DL's plans in AUS were always wishful thinking. All of their hubs being 1000 miles away makes them pretty useless for AUS based travellers.

If DL truly wanted to do something in AUS, they would have backed the terminal expansion and secured more gates. The issue for all carriers is AUS doesn't have enough gates.

seatback

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:46 pm

alohashirts wrote:

This was my thought too. I believe Delta has a lot of FF loyalty still in DFW. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of growth, just to try to stick it to AA (maybe: DFW-RDU/MIA/MCO/LAS/BOS).

ContinentalEWR

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
AA was always strong in AUS.

Just 15 years ago, all those WN 737s were AA MD 80s.

Just returning to their roots

Yes, but the dynamics have changed. A lot. AUS is a much, much larger business and leisure demand destination than it was 15 years ago and will only continue to grow that way. The AS and B6 overlay will be a very serious challenge to DL.

alohashirts

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 pm

seatback wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
seatback wrote:

Austin city/airport planners certainly did a poor job looking into the future. Austin is one of the newest airports in the US and already needs an overhaul.

I don’t think anyone could have seen or predicted that AUS would get to this level of demand so soon. I wouldn’t blame AUS/the city at all. Interesting to think that much of the AUS growth is a result of Covid and the insane California situation with companies and people flocking to Austin and the close surrounding area. I actually think there’s a better chance we see another international OneWorld airline partner come to AUS before KL ever does. Maybe JL doing NRT-AUS is what I’m thinking.

Unrelated to aviation but Austin moved up quite a bit on the Global World City Index listing (or whatever its official name is). So there’s obviously a lot eyes on Austin from a global perspective right now.
Last edited by alohashirts on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
flyinghippo wrote:

Why? One builds a focus city on O&D. And why does it matter if you connect in DFW or ATL/JFK if you're headed AUS-Europe?

ContinentalEWR

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 pm

seatback wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

This was my thought too. I believe Delta has a lot of FF loyalty still in DFW. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of growth, just to try to stick it to AA (maybe: DFW-RDU/MIA/MCO/LAS/BOS).

Yeah, that was maybe the airline biz of the 1980s and 1990s but not now. DL does have a loyal base in DFW, but trying to add big growth there is the same as AA trying to build a larger footprint in ATL. It is a bit futile.

n9801f

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
And why does it matter if you connect in DFW or ATL/JFK if you're headed AUS-Europe?

Proximity to a spoke enables an airline to serve it well - low aircraft requirements and bigger theater of connection possibilities.

AA should be bigger than DL in AUS due to nearness of DFW
DL should be bigger than AA in BHM due to nearness of ATL
etc.

You (or DL at AUS) can try to fight these basic properties of physics, but at the end of the day you're trying to climb uphill. Your competitor is naturally on top of it and doesn't have to work nearly as hard as you to win.

nc3rd

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Anyword on the aircraft type? Should we expect E175s?
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
flyinghippo wrote:

Why? One builds a focus city on O&D. And why does it matter if you connect in DFW or ATL/JFK if you're headed AUS-Europe?

You have to have a nearby hub to make a focus city work. Focus cities by their nature have limited schedules and frequencies so the carrier must have alternate ways to connect passengers. DL can't do this for AUS based passengers without major backtracking for large portions of the country.

Antarius

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm

n9801f wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
And why does it matter if you connect in DFW or ATL/JFK if you're headed AUS-Europe?

Proximity to a spoke enables an airline to serve it well - low aircraft requirements and bigger theater of connection possibilities.

AA should be bigger than DL in AUS due to nearness of DFW
DL should be bigger than AA in BHM due to nearness of ATL
etc.

You (or DL at AUS) can try to fight these basic properties of physics, but at the end of the day you're trying to climb uphill. Your competitor is naturally on top of it and doesn't have to work nearly as hard as you to win.

Not necessarily at all.

CRP for example is far closer to IAH/HOU than DFW and yet AA has a bigger footprint than UA.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos