Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MLIAA

Re: Norse LGW to FLL MCO ONT SFO RFD BWI

Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm

chonetsao wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
Whatever the distance, PIE is not Tampa, TPA is Tampa. SFB isn’t Orlando, MCO is Orlando and SFB is Sanford.

I think you are very wrong, and just trying to argue for the argument sake. 14 miles are within any metropolitan limit. PIE and TPA both serve Tampa Bay area. Again, I have said I won't comment on MCO/SFB as I don't know the area. So no need to bring that up again.

Moreover, PIE and TPA are both considered as Tampa Bay area airport. The circumstances are very different from let us say ONT and LAX or SJC and SFO. If you like we can continue debating on this issue for pages long. For residence in western Tampa bay residence, and for tourists to Clearwater beach, PIE is more convenient.

I’m not saying they’re separate metros or that PIE isn’t convenient. I’m saying they’re not the same airports. Tampa is Tampa, PIE isn’t Tampa, Tampa is Tampa and St Pete is St Pete. It’s close, but it’s not the same.

Like saying Southwest has a base in San Francisco; it’s in Oakland. Not the same.

Anyway, Norse Atlantic: expanding like crazy on untested and potentially thin routes.

bfitzflyer

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:32 am

mistake
Last edited by bfitzflyer on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bfitzflyer

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:45 am

chonetsao wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:
I don't know about Sanford, so I can't comment.

But St. Petersburg/Clearwater airport is only 14 miles away from TPA (and shorter to Tampa downtown area depends on where you are going) and have two causeway bridge connect the two places.

7,7 miles from TPA to downtown Tampa, 17 miles from PIE, absolutely not closer to downtown Tampa

I have never said PIE is closer to downtown compare to TPA. You are twisting my word.

What I said was PIE is 14 miles away from TPA and the distance is shorter to from PIE to Tampa compare to PIE to TPA depends on where you are going. Sorry for the confusion. And I admit that downtown Tampa might be a mistake word I used. However, your interpretation on my words and point of view is wrong.

You admit your mistake, yet I am twisting your words. All I did was call out that it is not closer to downtown Tampa, which you state. I made no interpretation of your words and held no point of view in my post. I just called out that it is not closer to downtown - end of story. Now this is my point of view: All that said I agree that PIE is convenient to most of the Tampa Bay Area and definitely closer to the gorgeous beaches of Pinellas county.

Someone83

Re: Norse Atlantic Airways News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 am

OSL-MCO started yesterday, 3x weekly.

While OSL-JFK went to daily

lesfalls

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:34 am

Norse opened up cabin crew positions for ARN and further positions in OSL.

Oykie

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:30 am

It was a great ride flying with Norse Atlantic. The whole crew onboard our flight was former Norwegian long haul crew. All where American. The service was superb. I did miss self check-in and bag drop at OSL and the possibility to print luggage tags on the airport express train. I except this to happen eventually. I also miss a map to follow the flight. Other than that, the 787 Dreamliner is a great plane to fly and Norse has a very good product.

AngelsDecay

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 am

Gotta luv the callsign for the new UK division...after icao code UBT it comes as "Longboat"...thats epic \\m//

TYWoolman

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:05 pm

Off topic: I find their livery aesthetically pleasing. Balance of blue colors throughout with lighter-blue engines bringing out tail logo and right-sized darker blue titles. Nice!

B747forever

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 pm

Oykie wrote:
It was a great ride flying with Norse Atlantic. The whole crew onboard our flight was former Norwegian long haul crew. All where American. The service was superb. I did miss self check-in and bag drop at OSL and the possibility to print luggage tags on the airport express train. I except this to happen eventually. I also miss a map to follow the flight. Other than that, the 787 Dreamliner is a great plane to fly and Norse has a very good product.

No moving map on board?

Also, did you fly in premium or regular economy?

Oykie

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:59 am

B747forever wrote:
Oykie wrote:

No moving map on board?

No moving map. There is flight details like ground speed, altitude. Distance to destination. Time at destination, but no moving map. I did miss that. I flew regular economy.

Milgram

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:15 am

During winter BER-JFK 3/7 and BER-LAX 3/7.

Someone83

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:32 am

Load factor of 82% on the (few) flights they operated in June

B747forever

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:35 am

Oykie wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Oykie wrote:

No moving map on board?

No moving map. There is flight details like ground speed, altitude. Distance to destination. Time at destination, but no moving map. I did miss that. I flew regular economy.

Huh, weird to not have a moving map. Must feel odd to now know where you are when looking out of the window.

Will be flying on the inaugural LAX-BER next month in premium.

Oykie

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:03 pm

B747forever wrote:
Oykie wrote:
B747forever wrote:

No moving map on board?

Huh, weird to not have a moving map. Must feel odd to now know where you are when looking out of the window.

Will be flying on the inaugural LAX-BER next month in premium.

It is a bit weird not knowing where you are and not having access to any map.

You’ll have a great flight based on my experience. Let us know how it was.

Galwayman

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm

Any chance/rumour of Norse launching LON > GIG as a winter months destination ??? Norwegian were daily at one stage . Presumably Norse will need some winter sun destinations ?

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Perhaps they could even launch flights from Europe to Argentina, and even go so far as to launch their own subsidiary airline to fly domestically within Argentina.... :-)

I'll get my coat

Oykie

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:52 am

I believe that Norse is very well run airline. And the timing could not have been better with SAS pilots striking and major European airlines and airports are having major difficulties. I have friends stuck because of SAS striking and they are saying that some Norse flights are fully booked.

davidjohnson6

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:02 am

If Norse was very well run.... why did it have aircraft fully painted sitting on the ground at Oslo since January ?
Not saying it's badly run... just that it's made mistakes like other airlines and we should not imagine it is some infallible airline

airsmiles

Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:24 am

The problem with Norse is that it looks just like Norwegian long-haul with a new paint job. Although some travellers always buy on lowest ticket price regardless, others will be wondering just how safe their booking is and how long Norse will last. People I know in the travel industry are already aware of this. The general view seems to be that, if you have other choices, use them.

Someone83

Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:34 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If Norse was very well run.... why did it have aircraft fully painted sitting on the ground at Oslo since January ?
Not saying it's badly run... just that it's made mistakes like other airlines and we should not imagine it is some infallible airline

They have a power-by-the-hour deal on the aircraft. Thus they haven't been paying for those aircraft until they started using them. And could wait started flying until the market had recovered slightly more than what it had earlier this year

M564038
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:21 am

Norse got a fantastic piece of prime time promotion on NRK daily TV news. This is the major commercial free network, and «everyone» watches their news.

This is an interview from the 787 cockpit with a former SAS-pilot saying how he would never go back, and how much better Norse is, the context being the SAS strike, of course.
Don’t know if it is viewable from abroad, but let me just say it is invaluable promotion. Getting air time as «the responsible company» on the «Dagsrevyen» news cast is like being mentioned in the Bible or even playing with The Beatles as far as the norwegian market goes.
From about 21 minutes in:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/2022 ... /avspiller
Last edited by M564038 on Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galwayman

Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:21 am

airsmiles wrote:
The problem with Norse is that it looks just like Norwegian long-haul with a new paint job. Although some travellers always buy on lowest ticket price regardless, others will be wondering just how safe their booking is and how long Norse will last. People I know in the travel industry are already aware of this. The general view seems to be that, if you have other choices, use them.

The new cost difference between Norse and SAS/ BA/ US3 must be massive at this time . It’s actually a great time to launch a lower cost airline . Personally I’d take Norse over SAS any day

VS4ever

Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:20 pm

Galwayman wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

The new cost difference between Norse and SAS/ BA/ US3 must be massive at this time . It’s actually a great time to launch a lower cost airline . Personally I’d take Norse over SAS any day

My dad used to fly a lot way back when, he linked the now departed Sabena with SAS by saying this

Sabena= Same Bad Experience Never Again
SAS = Same as Sabena

Always stuck with me that one lol..

factsonly

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:47 pm

VS4ever wrote:

SAS = Same as Sabena

Your father was very modest, as they saying actually was:

- SABENA - Such A Bloody Experience Never Again.

VS4ever

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:29 pm

factsonly wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

SAS = Same as Sabena

Your father was very modest, as they saying actually was:

- SABENA - Such A Bloody Experience Never Again.

He was, and I think that was because he was telling me as a kid and changed the all important B word.

lesfalls

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 pm

Interesting article regarding Norse’s first flight to Orlando:

https://aviationsourcenews.com/airline/ ... o-orlando/

From the survey shown if only Norse had feed, imagine how many more people would connect onto Norse from the U.S and Europe!!!

B747forever

Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:13 pm

lesfalls wrote:

From the survey shown if only Norse had feed, imagine how many more people would connect onto Norse from the U.S and Europe!!!

Thanks for sharing it.

Can we see Norwegian and Norse cooperate more closely in the future and offer same ticket connections?

n471wn

Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:57 pm

airsmiles wrote:

Had Covid 19 not hit Norwegian would have made it even with some of their foolish mistakes. Norse is playing it far smarter and at the end of the day more people are price sensitive. I like their chances.

Someone83

Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:25 am

B747forever wrote:

Can we see Norwegian and Norse cooperate more closely in the future and offer same ticket connections?

I think that is a very likely possibility

beachroad

Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:32 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

My dad used to fly a lot way back when, he linked the now departed Sabena with SAS by saying this

SAS = Same as Sabena

SAS is imploding, which has been a long time coming. Finnair is screwed because the Far East remains largely shut and they can't over fly Russia. It's not the worst time to launch a new Nordic long haul airline because the incumbents are in a very bad place.

airsmiles

Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:44 pm

beachroad wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

SAS = Same as Sabena

SAS is imploding, which has been a long time coming. Finnair is screwed because the Far East remains largely shut and they can't over fly Russia. It's not the worst time to launch a new Nordic long haul airline because the incumbents are in a very bad place.

I really don’t see the logic there. Long-haul worldwide is still some way off pre-COVID levels. Due to Putin’s war, and the threat of China invading Taiwan, there’s a real possibility of a worldwide recession. Add in labour shortages at many airports and you can see it’s not necessarily a good time to start an airline. I suspect Norke are only doing so because the lease companies don’t know what else to do with their 787’s and they’re getting good lease rates.

JannEejit

Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:32 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Is that because they observed the difficulties associated with the post pandemic bounce back (that nobody else appears to have expected) and decided to hold off for a while ? Not that I'm fully convinced they know exactly what they're doing, but I would sincerely hope some serious lessons were learned after the Norwegian debacle ? This airline involves some of the very same people at board level, does it not ?

lesfalls

Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:07 pm

JannEejit wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Is that because they observed the difficulties associated with the post pandemic bounce back (that nobody else appears to have expected) and decided to hold off for a while ? Not that I'm fully convinced they know exactly what they're doing, but I would sincerely hope some serious lessons were learned after the Norwegian debacle ? This airline involves some of the very same people at board level, does it not ?

Network planning is originally from DY I believe. Rest of the team comes more from OSM related companies.

Someone83

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Norse has startet to release part of their Winter schedule. From OSL I can see daily JFK. 3x weekly LAX and FLL, but no MCO.

That is about the capacity equal to 2 aircraft

Wneast

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:17 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Norse has startet to release part of their Winter schedule. From OSL I can see daily JFK. 3x weekly LAX and FLL, but no MCO.

That is about the capacity equal to 2 aircraft

You just have missed this they came out like two weeks ago.

neutral

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:21 pm

Any news on the Dublin winter slots or are they going to be left on the shelf?

Oykie

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:33 am

Norse just announced partnership with Norwegian, Spirit and Easyjet through Dohop. https://connections.flynorse.com/

sfojvjets

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:43 am

lesfalls wrote:

This comment was prophetic... Looks like they will use U2 and DY over in Europe and NK in the US. "Connecting" passengers will still need to physically enter the country they are connecting in and then go through security all over again so I'm not sure how much this really changes. Maybe it takes care of checked luggage, but apart from that, this just seems like a slightly more straightforward way to self-connect.

I wonder if this affects which airports they will be expanding to, though. For example, at SFO, they will get zero feed from Spirit. At Oakland, there's infinitely more NK feed. It becomes a question of whether they are going to prioritize O&D or start prioritizing connections at their destinations, especially in the US.

And then there's the whole problem of what to do when NK is gone... if they enter into some agreement with F9... well, there goes all their feed at LAX! An interesting concept nonetheless.

dampfnudel

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:50 am

Oykie wrote:
Norse just announced partnership with Norwegian, Spirit and Easyjet through Dohop. https://connections.flynorse.com/

If Spirit and JetBlue merge, I wonder if that partnership will continue?

sfojvjets

Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 am

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FLL%0D%0AL ... MP=r&DU=mi

If I did this correctly, these should be all the US cities covered by the "connecting" agreement. Interesting that some NK cities like PDX, SEA, PHX, ABQ, MSP, etc are left out.

Blue=Spirit cities covered by the agreement
Red=Norse US stations

lesfalls

Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:43 am

sfojvjets wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

This comment was prophetic... Looks like they will use U2 and DY over in Europe and NK in the US. "Connecting" passengers will still need to physically enter the country they are connecting in and then go through security all over again so I'm not sure how much this really changes. Maybe it takes care of checked luggage, but apart from that, this just seems like a slightly more straightforward way to self-connect.

I wonder if this affects which airports they will be expanding to, though. For example, at SFO, they will get zero feed from Spirit. At Oakland, there's infinitely more NK feed. It becomes a question of whether they are going to prioritize O&D or start prioritizing connections at their destinations, especially in the US.

And then there's the whole problem of what to do when NK is gone... if they enter into some agreement with F9... well, there goes all their feed at LAX! An interesting concept nonetheless.

Thank you!

As simple as it sounds (since it’s not an actual interline agreement) these flights should be visible through Google Flights (once Norse gets online there) and Skyscanner.

That’s the big difference as most average travelers aren’t able to come up with the idea separate bookings unless there’s a system in place which explains it and gives the passenger some security such as Dohop.

Interestingly enough in the article about MCO it says that most passengers who did the self connect route found their itineraries through Kiwi.

Lets hope more carriers get added as there were more passengers self-connecting with Flyr then Norwegian on that MCO flight.

Someone83

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:23 am

In reality it is some sort of self transfer, so it is more about marketing by being able to offer more «destinations»

krizzzy

Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:34 am

dampfnudel wrote:
Oykie wrote:

If Spirit and JetBlue merge, I wonder if that partnership will continue?

Maybe they had the Frontier/Spirit merger in mind when they did this, considering Frontier's presence at Stewart (which was Norse's original New York choice of airport).

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 am

So we're a week away from the first LGW-JFK service, and according to Norse's website, flights are still 'Subject to Government Approval'. Which government are we talking about here - is it a route authority from the US side, or have the CAA not signed off yet in the UK?

I'm looking at booking a single back from the states, but it's putting me off a little.

lesfalls

Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
So we're a week away from the first LGW-JFK service, and according to Norse's website, flights are still 'Subject to Government Approval'. Which government are we talking about here - is it a route authority from the US side, or have the CAA not signed off yet in the UK?

I'm looking at booking a single back from the states, but it's putting me off a little.

It’s a 5th freedom route following Brexit which makes me believe it’s the CAA.

davidjohnson6

Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:19 pm

I've learned that with small and startup airlines, it's best to wait until there is evidence on FR24 that the airline has operated at least one flight on the route in question, and that the flight was no more than 2 hours late - simple but effectively separates those who can do from those who just talk.
UK CAA got their fingers burnt with Niceair... maybe add an extra week after 1st flight appearing on FR24 before you use your credit card.

a350lover

Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:

So is there a real chance Norse flights UK-USA cannot start due to lack of regulatory approvals? :shock:

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm

lesfalls wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

It’s a 5th freedom route following Brexit which makes me believe it’s the CAA.

This is what I'm erring towards as well, as flights to Oslo have already commenced, suggesting the US side don't have a problem.

I'd be travelling in October, but I'd like to get it booked up andbe confident that it will operate. The big appeal for me is that the Norse flight gets in nice and early (06:45), so I don't have to take another day of leave (I'm way too used to working after all nighters)

I've seen last minute approvals in the past. WizzAir Ukraine comes to mind - the paperwork for the import and registration of their first aircraft was completed at 06:10 on the same day that their first flight was scheduled for 06:30 (IIRC) and operated as planned.

Dan

TexasAirCorp

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:56 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Any chance/rumour of Norse launching LON > GIG as a winter months destination ??? Norwegian were daily at one stage . Presumably Norse will need some winter sun destinations ?

LGW-GIG was down to twice weekly before it got cut. Don’t think it ever did overly well.

Someone83

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:10 am

First flight OSL-LAX today

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos