Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

AEP Reopens after 7 Months and New Extd Runway

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:01 pm

Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (Buenos Aires City Central airport) was closed for the last seven months for a major remodeling and brand new runway which has been extended.

Previously runway 13/31 was 2,100m/6,900 feet long and has been extended to 2,700m/8,860ft
It's also been widened from 40m/130ft to 60m/200ft - it is also thicker as well with a new ILS and new PAPI, new approach lighting system, runway centerline lights and touchdown lights.

Major interior upgrades to the terminal were carried out as well along with and increase FIS (nearly doubled immigration booths) and security checkpoint.

(article in Spanish only, but nice pics!)
https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/2021/0 ... odelacion/

jetskipper

Re: AEP Reopens after 7 Months and New Extd Runway

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:06 pm

Was this planned prior to COVID? If not, the timing could not have been better.

OzarkD9S

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Quite the achievement for 7 months.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm

jetskipper wrote:

It was planned before Covid-19 but was not supposed to happen for another 2 years. But the timeline was moved up due to the pandemic given the opportunity with the lack in travel.
Argentina's domestic travel which is AEP's bread and butter anyway was severely restricted so it was a no brainer.

Domestic flights were then moved to EZE and will gradually return to AEP this week.

ContinentalEWR

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Quite the achievement for 7 months.

For enterprise in Argentina, yes, although AA (Aeropuertos Argentinas 2000) does a pretty good job of modernizing and maintaining the country's airport on a consistent basis, likely due to air travel being essential to links given the country's size and remoteness. Aeroparque is a fun airport to fly into and out of. The views are incredible, the climb outs can be steep, and the access to Buenos Aires is so easy.

BENAir01

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm sad I wasn't aware of this happening. This is awesome! What upgrades are happening at other airports in the country?
And I see El Palomar is closing it's passenger services as well? I guess that was just something to help AEP get less busy while they worked on this.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Aeroflot001 wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

It was planned before Covid-19 but was not supposed to happen for another 2 years. But the timeline was moved up due to the pandemic given the opportunity with the lack in travel.
Argentina's domestic travel which is AEP's bread and butter anyway was severely restricted so it was a no brainer.

Domestic flights were then moved to EZE and will gradually return to AEP this week.

That's true intelligence on display.... It might have cost a bit more, and they may have had to leave out a few details that were to have been designed in the interim. But, it sure was very effective to do it starting Mid 2020 due to the pandemic.

My hats off to Argentina for this.

Having the base plans done a few years in advance sure can pay off at times like this. The only thing I have seen on a similar scale was that I know of 2 cases where major highway bridges were planned to be replaced in a future year (and the state had contracted to have all the design and review work along with sequence and contractor planning done at least 2 years before the planed execution to allow proper bidding and notification of the communities - and businesses of the traffic disruption).

Then the year before the planed replacement project a significant new problem with those bridges either occurred or was found; and the bridge was immediately closed. The State picked a contractor that could mobilize the needed equipment and people immediately and issued T&M contracts (no time for proper bidding) - and the bridges were replaced in a timely manner a year earlier (actually faster than the original planned project).

One of these bridges was the same design as the ill fated I-35 bridge in Minneapolis (collapsed in 2007). 41 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdv2wRaqo4

Which turned out had improper designed gusset plates 40 years earlier as the root cause - and the previous inspection photos showed warped gusset plates; although the bridge inspectors had no idea at the time that warped gusset plates indicated major structural overloading: They did after the 2008 NTSB report.

So a about a year after the NTSB report on the Minneapolis Minnesota bridge collapse... A similar design steel truss bridge connecting Minnesota to Wisconsin was found to have warped gusset plates during its annual inspection and immediately closed (Minnesota was responsible for inspecting that bridge). The plans were in swing to replace that bridge the next year with the new bridge design already complete. The Minnesota Governor quickly called the Wisconsin Governor and told him that they could replace the bridge this year likely faster than they could do an enhanced inspection, analyze the bridge, design repairs, and repair it for winter use. The Wisconsin Governor immediately answered: "I'll back you on that, and how can we help speed this up?" The original bridge replacement project was intended to close that river crossing for 7 months with pre-staging of equipment and key supplies in advance. My memory is that they had it replaced in about 6 months after that phone call. No one complained (the collapsed I-35 bridge was within 40 miles of this location - everyone knew about it).

Unfortunately, civil infrastructure is not treated as critical as aviation. Here is a NY Times follow-up report from 2014 which includes that the Minnesota State Department of Transportation was severely underfunded and understaffed: When a Bridge Falls: Disaster in Minneapolis | Retro Report (10 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74JNl5n-YdI

Minnesota quickly identified 172 bridges of need of replacement or significant repairs after the collapse, and raised the gas tax 8 cents/gallon ($0.08/gallon) to fund it. 12 years after the collapse the 105 worst ones have been replaced, 24 other had major repairs and structural reinforcements completed to bring them up to modern standards, and the state is working 5 or more bridges a year with the intent to complete everything on the initial list, and any new bridges identified as structurally deficient in the state after the collapse before the 20th anniversary of the August 1 2007 collapse, excluding those identified after July 2022 as they figure 5 years is an appropriate time to plan and fund repairs or replacements when they are properly funded and staffed.

Sorry about the Segway. Its just so rare to see an example of someone doing what is right... when they have an opportunity; and the only other transportation cases I know of occurred with early bridge replacements - driven mainly by the Minneapolis I-35 collapse.

Have a great day,

BAINY3

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:51 pm

2175301 wrote:

So a about a year after the NTSB report on the Minneapolis Minnesota bridge collapse... A similar design steel truss bridge connecting Minnesota to Wisconsin was found to have warped gusset plates during its annual inspection and immediately closed (Minnesota was responsible for inspecting that bridge). The plans were in swing to replace that bridge the next year with the new bridge design already complete. The Minnesota Governor quickly called the Wisconsin Governor and told him that they could replace the bridge this year likely faster than they could do an enhanced inspection, analyze the bridge, design repairs, and repair it for winter use. The Wisconsin Governor immediately answered: "I'll back you on that, and how can we help speed this up?" The original bridge replacement project was intended to close that river crossing for 7 months with pre-staging of equipment and key supplies in advance. My memory is that they had it replaced in about 6 months after that phone call. No one complained (the collapsed I-35 bridge was within 40 miles of this location - everyone knew about it).

As a Minnesotan, I have to ask which bridge was this? There have been so many bridge replacements since 2007 that I can't keep them all straight.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:48 am

BAINY3 wrote:
2175301 wrote:

As a Minnesotan, I have to ask which bridge was this? There have been so many bridge replacements since 2007 that I can't keep them all straight.

I cannot recall, and cannot quickly find it with internet searches. Sorry.

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Video of first landing last night, an AR flight coming in from COR in a newly painted Emb (these were all previously in Austral colors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltkL9AYfjw

dcajet

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:53 pm

With the reopening of the airport, AR has moved LIMA (Peru) flights to AEP from EZE. The first flight (AR1364) leaves this evening, We'll see if LATAM also moves its EZE-LIM flights to AEP.

https://twitter.com/SpottersArg/status/ ... 5119987719
Keep calm and wash your hands.

VirginFlyer

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:09 pm

A picture in the database:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

aemoreira1981

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 pm

Are there perimeter limits on AEP flights? If not, what are the odds of an airline like CM, which would fly the MAX 9 into Argentina, moving from EZE to AEP to connect with the Argentine domestic network? (As per the bilateral, CM has exclusivity on Panama-Argentina as no Argentinian carrier desired to fly between the two countries.) The airfield can be restricted to just narrow body planes, keeping wide bodies at EZE.

hpff

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Are there perimeter limits on AEP flights? If not, what are the odds of an airline like CM, which would fly the MAX 9 into Argentina, moving from EZE to AEP to connect with the Argentine domestic network? (As per the bilateral, CM has exclusivity on Panama-Argentina as no Argentinian carrier desired to fly between the two countries.) The airfield can be restricted to just narrow body planes, keeping wide bodies at EZE.

The airport is currently domestic and Uruguay-only due to capacity constraints. No idea how the runway extension changes that.

EDIT: Looks like they opened up some specific "regional" international routes last week: https://www.aviacionline.com/2021/03/la ... eroparque/

avi8

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 pm

I never understood how a split hub operation works for Aerolíneas Argentinas. It seems like the long-haul Inter stick al flight Are purely O/D based.

The upgrades are amazing, congrats to those involved!
avi8

Elgorou

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:12 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

The limits is about countries, not distance, AEP only can land flights from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Uruguay. Plus for the moment the tarmac bigger position is for C planes, the nexts steps are extend the tarmac and add more and bigger positions, and allow the operation to AR A330 from AEP

txjim

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:11 am

Aeroflot001 wrote:
Video of first landing last night, an AR flight coming in from COR in a newly painted Emb (these were all previously in Austral colors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltkL9AYfjw

Great video, thanks!

Antarius

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:04 am

avi8 wrote:
I never understood how a split hub operation works for Aerolíneas Argentinas. It seems like the long-haul Inter stick al flight Are purely O/D based.

It doesn't. They'd be better off lighting containers of money on fire than operating. It isn't just the split hub, that and nothing else works for AR.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

avi8

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:45 am

avi8 wrote:

The upgrades are amazing, congrats to those involved!

My autocorrect just takes a life of its own: I meant “international flights”. Sorry about that
avi8

hannah9898

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Sounds like Widebody aircraft hopefully approved at AEP soon.

flyfresno

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm

I've been past this airport once, although never flown into it...the terminal space reminds me a bit of MDW in the way it's right up against the road and creatively planned. However, looking at a map, they could probably take out the parking lot and add 3-4 more gates there. Looks like there is a development doing on across the road from the terminal, is that part of this expansion?

dcajet

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:42 pm

hannah9898 wrote:
Sounds like Widebody aircraft hopefully approved at AEP soon.

Ramp needs to be upgraded and reinforced before A-330 and similar aircraft can operate regularly from AEP. In the meantime, A321 and 757 are the largest aircraft AEP can handle regularly.

flyfresno wrote:
I've been past this airport once, although never flown into it...the terminal space reminds me a bit of MDW in the way it's right up against the road and creatively planned. However, looking at a map, they could probably take out the parking lot and add 3-4 more gates there. Looks like there is a development doing on across the road from the terminal, is that part of this expansion?

That is the plan, the old parking lot, together with the old control tower and original 1960s pax terminal are next on the list to be knocked down to continue with the NW expansion of the roadside terminal. The riverside road (Avenida Costanera) will be moved further east on land reclaimed from the river to allow a fast exit from Runway 13; it was left unfinished during the recent runway reconstruction, pending the road work,.

dcajet

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:21 pm

ILS approach to the new RWY 13 @ AEP:

https://twitter.com/Fegane75/status/1375580591488389120

incitatus

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:47 am

The airport system of Buenos Aires is detrimental to the supply of air service there. Portenos think they have the best of both worlds with short-haul flights at AEP and long-haul flights at EZE. In reality, most passengers to and from Argentina outside B.A. avoid EZE and prefer to connect at other airports like SCL, GRU or PTY. EZE ends up with less service than it should have.

The best solution for Buenos Aires is to close AEP and use the cash from the land to help fund fast rail service to EZE.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Q

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 am

I bet A330 can handle AEP runway enough to fly to MIA or JFK someday. Watch.

Q

winGl3t

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:10 pm

Rumors have it that sales from AEP will be restricted to countries that have non-stop services to AEP, eg: LATAM could sell AEP-GRU-LIM as there will be non-stop flights from AEP to LIM, but it can't sell AEP-GRU-MIA as there will be no AEP-MIA non-stop.
This is to protect long haul travel from EZE and to avoid intercontinental traffic to migrate to AEP on connecting carriers.

ScottB

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:24 pm

incitatus wrote:
The airport system of Buenos Aires is detrimental to the supply of air service there. Portenos think they have the best of both worlds with short-haul flights at AEP and long-haul flights at EZE. In reality, most passengers to and from Argentina outside B.A. avoid EZE and prefer to connect at other airports like SCL, GRU or PTY. EZE ends up with less service than it should have.

The best solution for Buenos Aires is to close AEP and use the cash from the land to help fund fast rail service to EZE.

Please. Bs. As. will never be a major intercontinental hub due to geography. It only makes sense to connect there if you're traveling to/from Argentina, parts of Chile, and maybe Uruguay or extreme SW Brazil. There are a handful of Argentine airports outside of Bs. As. with flights to competing hubs -- COR, ROS, MDZ, USH, ? That just doesn't add up to enough passengers to really make an impact on the amount of service EZE might see otherwise.

AEP handles more passengers than EZE. It makes no sense to burden the majority of passengers with a trip out to Ezeiza just for the benefit of at most a few hundred connecting passengers each day.

incitatus

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:57 pm

ScottB wrote:

Please. Bs. As. will never be a major intercontinental hub due to geography. It only makes sense to connect there if you're traveling to/from Argentina, parts of Chile, and maybe Uruguay or extreme SW Brazil. There are a handful of Argentine airports outside of Bs. As. with flights to competing hubs -- COR, ROS, MDZ, USH, ? That just doesn't add up to enough passengers to really make an impact on the amount of service EZE might see otherwise.

AEP handles more passengers than EZE. It makes no sense to burden the majority of passengers with a trip out to Ezeiza just for the benefit of at most a few hundred connecting passengers each day.

Where is your data that shows that the same-airport connections in Buenos Aires would benefit only a few hundred passengers each day?

Pre-pandemic EZE had about 10,000 long-haul seats per day. Are you saying long-haul passengers in Argentina outside of Buenos Aires is just a little sliver of that? It is not.

The idea previously mentioned of only allowing sale of itineraries from AEP that can have direct service from AEP is full of holes. People can buy separate tickets AEP-GRU-MAD.

But in the grand scheme, two airports in Buenos Aires is a tiny problem compared to an economy in decay for the last 70 years.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

ScottB

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:10 pm

incitatus wrote:
Where is your data that shows that the same-airport connections in Buenos Aires would benefit only a few hundred passengers each day?

Pre-pandemic EZE had about 10,000 long-haul seats per day. Are you saying long-haul passengers in Argentina outside of Buenos Aires is just a little sliver of that? It is not.

The idea previously mentioned of only allowing sale of itineraries from AEP that can have direct service from AEP is full of holes. People can buy separate tickets AEP-GRU-MAD.

But in the grand scheme, two airports in Buenos Aires is a tiny problem compared to an economy in decay for the last 70 years.

No, the point is that perhaps a few hundred passengers a day are actually connecting from Argentine airports other than EZE/AEP at competing hubs like GRU/LIM/SCL/PTY. There just aren't enough seats on offer for more than that. There are obviously a bunch more doing airport-to-airport transfers between EZE & AEP but consolidating at EZE doesn't recapture those passengers. Those few passengers connecting elsewhere just aren't going to add up to a bunch more long-haul flights from EZE

The trade-off is adding a lot of inconvenience for Porteños (and passengers from other domestic cities going to Buenos Aires) on most trips in exchange for less inconvenience for other Argentines connecting to go overseas. It doesn't offer enough benefit to be worthwhile IMO.

Yes, people can buy separate tickets to avoid ticketing restrictions, but then they also have to deal with the potential drawbacks -- like having to reclaim luggage and re-check at the connecting point, and being on their own in case of a missed connection. Further, buying two separate tickets can often be more expensive. I don't see making a connection at GRU or PTY as being more convenient than a non-stop from EZE if that's available. It's like arguing Washingtonians would prefer to connect at JFK/EWR/BOS for a flight from DCA rather than taking a non-stop from IAD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos