Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WALmsp
Topic Author

'Serial stowaway' arrested at ORD

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 pm

She has been arrested multiple times since 2014 for attempting to board flights or get into the security zones without a ticket. At least Mrs. Quonset from the movie "Airport" was a little more fun.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/us/marilyn-hartman-arrested-ohare-airport-trnd/index.html

alasizon

Re: 'Serial stowaway' arrested at ORD

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:40 pm

"Staff attempted to contact Hartman using the phone built into the device, but Hartman did not answer," the statement said. "Electronic Monitoring Unit Investigators found that her device indicated she was traveling in the direction of O'Hare International Airport."

Ankle monitors have phones built in to them? How odd does that have to look and how flexible do you have to be to answer that phone??

atsiang

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:03 am

There were several news articles describing her history of being a stowaway and supposedly the article was to describe how she actually committed the acts but it doesn't really say how she does it. My question is how was she able to board the plane? I could see her sneaking through security but I can't understand how she could have boarded the plane.

B6twufa

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:28 am

You may find this interesting. Marilyn Hartman spoke with CBS2 Chicago's investigative reporter Brad Edwards about how and why she does what she does. Here is the report, and I found it very interesting.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/serial-sto ... d-edwards/

hamiltondaniel

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:03 am

B6twufa wrote:
Here is the report, and I found it very interesting.

Very interesting indeed, but what is up with the writing in that article? It was totally impossible to parse. Consecutive sentences seemed totally unrelated to each other. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen - and I teach college composition, so that's saying something.

B6twufa

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:07 am

hamiltondaniel wrote:
B6twufa wrote:

Very interesting indeed, but what is up with the writing in that article? It was totally impossible to parse. Consecutive sentences seemed totally unrelated to each other. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen - and I teach college composition, so that's saying something.

I don't know, but they do try to upload all the content of the videos in written form as well for those that want to read the story too. News writing is a little bit, strange however.

maps4ltd

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 am

hamiltondaniel wrote:
B6twufa wrote:

Yeah. It looks like something put through Google Translate from another language.

Rajahdhani

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 am

maps4ltd wrote:
hamiltondaniel wrote:
B6twufa wrote:

Yeah. It looks like something put through Google Translate from another language.

Or, potentially written by a bot.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/08/robot-wrote-this-article-gpt-3
I am not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!

Backing to the main topic, and to add to a level of compassion here;

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/us/marilyn-hartman-arrested-ohare-airport-trnd/index.html"She continues to struggle as a homeless person within a system that is not designed to adequately address the mental health issues Ms. Hartman presents. Until this arrest, Ms. Hartman had been stable for the past year and a half, cooperative and without incident," Parle Roe-Taylor wrote in an email to CNN on Wednesday. "Unfortunately, relapse is part of what happens sometimes during treatment. Relapses must be addressed through treatment, and not punitively," Roe-Taylor wrote. Roe-Taylor added that Hartman is a nonviolent person "who has not shown to be a risk for harming others."

Now, the CNN article is a fantastic read - as it properly discusses not perhaps how, but how often she was arrested. Please refer back to the article, a decent read, however to slightly summarize;

the article discusses her arrests (and re-arrests) at LAX, PHX, and at ORD - with most of those events discussing her multiple successes at domestic flights.
It would have been shocking enough there, but then we have this as well:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/us/marilyn-hartman-arrested-ohare-airport-trnd/index.html
She was then arrested at O'Hare again in January 2018 after British officials had detained her in London. She was charged with one misdemeanor count of trespassing and one felony count of theft after she succeeded in traveling from Chicago to London without a passport or boarding pass.

zuckie13

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Ada Quonsett would be proud.

On a serious note, the fact that she managed to fly so many times is also a cautionary tale that so much of the security we see is much more theater than processes that surely will catch folks like this. Surely she's not the only one who has managed this.

btbx11

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06 pm

B6twufa wrote:
hamiltondaniel wrote:
B6twufa wrote:

I don't know, but they do try to upload all the content of the videos in written form as well for those that want to read the story too. News writing is a little bit, strange however.

It isn't an article, it's a transcript of the video.

WALmsp
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:48 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Ada Quonsett would be proud.

On a serious note, the fact that she managed to fly so many times is also a cautionary tale that so much of the security we see is much more theater than processes that surely will catch folks like this. Surely she's not the only one who has managed this.

So, essentially, we arrive at the airport three hours early in order to go through security screening that is letting through all the Ada Quonsetts. Scary.

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:01 pm

WALmsp wrote:
She has been arrested multiple times since 2014 for attempting to board flights or get into the security zones without a ticket. At least Mrs. Quonset from the movie "Airport" was a little more fun.

Haha. When I saw the thread title, I was going to post and ask if her name was Ada Quonset. You didn’t waste any time making that reference.

visual8L

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:24 pm

There is certainly room for compassion but keep
In mind the vast majority of mental illness does
Not manifest like this. If she presented as the stereotypical threat, nobody would joke about Alqaeda Quonsett - they would lock her up.