Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Short FInal

Sat Dec 12, 1998 7:41 am

I was looking at some pictures and saw that some said that the plane was on "Short Final". What is a short final?

CX747

RE: Short FInal

Sat Dec 12, 1998 7:42 am

A short final is when you are very close to the runway if not over it. It is a very hectic time to say the least. Everything must be monitered incase their is a need to go-around.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

flyf15

Sat Dec 12, 1998 7:52 am

Yea, short finals are a very demanding time! I know this because of FS (Iain, I know FS is not like the real world :-), I don't want to get into that argument again, so I am stopping it before it starts.), actual experience, and talking to pilots.

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:12 am

Guys, I really don't see what is so hectic about being on short final... It's just like... being on long final.. except you are closer to the runway. :) If you've ever seen say a video from a flight deck during landing, you'll see there is nothing hectic about it even when the plane is on short final.

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:13 am

I have done a short final were we turned on to final over the numbers. It was on 19R at SNA so it waws alot of room. And I really don't think that they are that demanding it is just a case of flying the plane to the ground. In a normal situation you really only fly the plane and put flaps down on final. So there really is not to much. The 10 miles finals are a lot more fun. I was on the ILS into 19r and that is so cool you can see the runway from so far away. But a short final are really not to hard. I saw a 737 alaske turning into SNA before the Tustin Marine base and for you who know that area that is very close for a 737.
Iain

CX747

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:21 am

It is not hectic in the fact that the pilot and first officer are in panic, but it does require more attention and assertiveness due to the proximity of the ground.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:27 am

No! When you have that amount of flying turning to final at 1000 feet is nothing I turn into the pattern at SNA at 200 and that is not all that tuff. You have to understand that at that time all there really is to do is fly the plane and that does not require much work. You are also forgeting that they are told to turn to 180 or whatever and that turn normally lines them up with center line. I really do not know why you guys rthink it is that hard it really is not.
Iain

CX747

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:38 am

Iain, when was the last time you flew a 737?

flyf15

Sat Dec 12, 1998 8:44 am

Maybe "A state of higher alterness and concentration" is better than hectic.

CX747

Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:06 am

Agreed flyf15.

Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:09 am

CX747
I have never flown a 737 but I am sure the pilots who fly that find it easir to fly that then I do fly a 172 and if I can turn to final over the numbers around 300 feet and land the cross wind and not find that to hard I can assure they don't.

Also when have you ever flown a short final?

Also I am sure that they have flown so much that a short final is nothing to them so I am sure the are not worried. A friend of mine flew into Kia Tak so much that he was relaxed doing that in a 747-400 so I think all the short final that they do is nothing to them.
Iain

CX747

Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:15 am

Your friend landed a 747-400 at Kai Tak like a piece of cake? I am not saying that all hell is breaking lose, but it is much more difficult than base. Landing is very time consuming and attention needing. Also, flying a C172 is nothing like a 737. You have much more room to play with. I am sure you are a great pilot, but there is no comparison

flyf15

Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:24 am

I have taken a few lessons, but currently don't have enough $ for any more. I've dont some short finals at GSO (BryanG: Atlantic Aero C172, rwy 23, rwy 32)

Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:24 am

There is a comparison first that the 737 pilot is a lot more confident and a better pilot then I am and if I can do it I am sure he can. Also turning over the numbers is alot different then turning on a short final for them. I really do not think it is as hard as you do.
And when did you land a short?

Sat Dec 12, 1998 10:01 am

Of course, a 737 is going 120-140 knots. much less time in the threshold than a GA plane.

Noel Benford

Scott

RE:set straight

Sat Dec 12, 1998 1:07 pm

I don't know how many of you are actually pilots(some reply would be nice to find out),but when I do a short final,it is intense and fun(for instance an engine out in the pattern)!

For dontknowmuch: A GOOD example of a short final is the approach at Hong Kong.(Now closed)

flyf15

RE: RE:set straight

Sat Dec 12, 1998 1:11 pm

Why is it that everytime somebody thinks something and somebody else thinks they are wrong, it becomes an argument. Can we please just state our opinions without telling other people that theirs are wrong? I hate how people think that others opinions are wrong just because they think theirs are right.

Sat Dec 12, 1998 3:20 pm

Scott I fly a 152 I have around 20 hours. I normally find that I have done most things by the time I am on short Final so all there really is to do is fly the plane and maybe put full flaps down if I think it is neccesary. What part do you find intense? I reall think if you do good on you base leg and have a good set up it is really easy.
Iain

Scott

Sat Dec 12, 1998 3:39 pm

The part I find intense (not hugely intense)is when you have to put in full flaps right away,and pretty much dive for the runway(hanging from the seat belt).I did'nt say it was hard,but I think it's fun.

Sat Dec 12, 1998 6:39 pm

Short final is not making your final turn to the runway at the normal distance, you cut the turn in close to the runway. It sure is demanding.
You have to lose altitude and speed in less time and distance.
Usually, the speedbrakes are used for this purpose. You will hear them rumble when deployed, see the wing flexing and you can feel the aircraft being slowed.

David L

RE: Short Final

Sat Dec 12, 1998 11:21 pm

I'm not a pilot but surely you get a lot more time and room for
manoeuvre to make adjustments very late in a light aircraft than
you do in a 150 ton jet at 140 knots (a LOT of inertia)?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos