Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2eng2efficient
Topic Author

United announces new summer point-to-point routes

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:43 am

Wow! Did not see this one coming. I’m very interested in how they chose these routes. Major shot across Delta’s bow. But really, this will draw traffic from AA, G4, and F9 too.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... nsion.html

jfklganyc

Re: United Announces Major Expansion at CVG

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am

Reminds me of their express San Antonio expansion around 10 years ago?

Odd. Very odd

ContinentalEWR

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:54 am

And it is kind of weird. If DL could not make CVG work, I don't hold much hope for UA. Spitballing at its finest.

EBiafore99

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am

Considering the destinations selected and frequency, I'm not sure it's a "major" shot across DL's bow.

Midwestindy

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am

2eng2efficient wrote:
Wow! Did not see this one coming. I’m very interested in how they chose these routes. Major shot across Delta’s bow. But really, this will draw traffic from AA, G4, and F9 too.

It's not a move against DL at all, DL hasn't flown any of these routes in years.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... 20/photo/1
ORD & IND

AA & DL

NZ321

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am

Pardon me - I did read the headline in the article & the article itself but I would hardly call this "major" expansion or "a shot across Delta's bow". I think your headline is misleading - we're talking about several flights per week, not several flights per day. This is dipping a toe in the water, if that.
Plane mad!

AirportRival

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 am

This is more of an expansion from the Midwest than it is any one city. Nice to see though, as a Cincinnatian

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Four seasonal destinations. Not one route is daily or even 6x weekly. 50-seaters. Not one route flown by Delta. It's 600 departing seats a week. This is a major shot across Delta's bow just how, exactly?

tphuang

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:02 pm

This is not a major expansion into CVG and against DL. It's part of a large announcement of routes from midwest to some obvious summer leisure destinations. I think quite wise in a low business demand environment. I think the title of this thread should be changed to reflect that.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 pm

I would call this a leisure expansion to South Carolina, PWM and PNS
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

pmanni1

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 pm

PWM service to all of these cities seems so out of left field. Hope it works!

Midwestindy

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm

pmanni1 wrote:

PWM to these cities are actually "decent" sized market O&D wise, & I am not even factoring in stimulation or the fact that many fly into BOS and drive:

Q3 2019

PWM-PIT-33 PDEW
PWM-IND-33 PDEW
PWM-CMH-30 PDEW
PWM-CLE-28 PDEW
PWM-CVG-26 PDEW
PWM-MKE-22 PDEW (Likely lots of leakage to ORD)
https://data.transportation.gov/Aviatio ... -b2ir/data

Not to mention these are 50 seater flights, not incredibly difficult to fill.
Last edited by Midwestindy on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

AA100

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Regardless of whether or not you think this is a "Major shot at Delta's bow" It will in fact still be annoying to Delta. These are mainly Delta focus cities, and whilst they may not fly the routes directly - this will make it more difficult or competitive for DL to open these same routes in the future + fragment some of their loyal travelers with another carrier now offering nonstop service to specific leisure destinations.

Whether or not you think or indeed it will or will not impact DL. You can be assured DL won't like this.

But this is the state of the domestic market right now. Airlines are adapting and moving away from just offering connections through major hubs - to chasing leisure traffic across the country. They've all got access to smaller city data - who's travelling and to where. It is all fair game and the smart carriers will deploy resource to these stations as and when they can.

Aviation is very cyclical - and in a way we are going back to the times of point-to-point, smaller city nonstop service. In a few years, as travel re-corrects itself, business demand comes back - there will be more necessity for high frequency flights again which means hubs will become the best way to compete and the most cost effective too. It could be that all these point-to-point disappear again. Who knows.

johns624

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

PWM to these cities are actually "decent" sized market O&D wise, & I am not even factoring in stimulation or the fact that many fly into BOS and drive:

Q3 2019

PWM-PIT-33 PDEW
PWM-IND-33 PDEW
PWM-CMH-30 PDEW
PWM-CLE-28 PDEW
PWM-CVG-26 PDEW
PWM-MKE-22 PDEW (Likely lots of leakage to ORD)
https://data.transportation.gov/Aviatio ... -b2ir/data

Not to mention these are 50 seater flights, not incredibly difficult to fill.
Maybe because of Acadia National Park? It seems like with Covid getting rid of international travel, many Americans have been going the "back to nature" route. This past summer/fall, Michigan's UP had way more visitors than normal. Stores were out of camping/fishing equipment, also.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 pm

This isn’t a major, sustainable expansion.

This is UA trying to mimic G4 but using idle RJ capacity.

Enjoy summer 2021 dart board routes while they last.

flybry

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:06 pm

I doubt United is just throwing darts at a board here. They have access to travel and demand data from these cities and they’re using that to try to fill some planes that would otherwise be parked or flying empty. Smart move on United’s part. Bravo!

Cubsrule

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:10 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I agree with you, but at least for me "not sustainable" connotes "bad idea," and I think demand is still sufficiently odd/depressed that trying to find some routes that make at least a little money probably is not a bad idea.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Someone83

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 pm

Are all these new midwest to "leisure-spots" routes with the CRJ-500?

kavok

Re: UA Adds PNS/HHH Summer Only Focus Points

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Reading the announcement, I actually view this more as UA using 2021 domestic leisure flying as a way to make a longer term play at getting better marketshare in the heartland. Yes the “focus” may be in HHH/PNS, but the business focus is further north. UA can try the routes out this year, when opportunity cost is low, see if any of the routes does well enough to justify keeping it, but more importantly see if any loyalty can be grown in the respective heartland markets.

To be blunt, I really do see this as a UA play to win over some DL flyers, while putting some UA aircraft and crews to use as well. For many of these markets (the ones that weren’t previously AA/CO/US hubs anyway), Northwest (and then Delta after the merger) historically has been the primary heartland carrier for those outside of Chicago. That heartland strategy has made NW and DL a ton of money over the years, and maybe has been taken for granted recently.

The point of sale is obviously: CLE, CVG, CMH, IND, MKE, PIT, & STL. Kudos to UA to seeing an opportunity for some growth.
Last edited by kavok on Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PHLspecial

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:54 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The airlines just got bailed out again :mad:

So they have do something with the money.

Cubsrule

Re: United announces new summer point-to-point routes

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm

Is there a point at which HHH runs out of space (or the NIMBYs go crazy)? It's added a ton of service in the last 18 months or so.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

adamblang

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:09 pm

kavok wrote:
I really do see this as a UA play to win over some DL flyers, while putting some UA aircraft and crews to use as well. For many of these markets (the ones that weren’t previously AA/CO/US hubs anyway), Northwest (and then Delta after the merger) historically has been the primary heartland carrier for those outside of Chicago. That heartland strategy has made NW and DL a ton of money over the years, and maybe has been taken for granted recently.

Same. That these are all CRJ-550s tells me "hey Delta flyers, we know you haven't flown us for a while and you had your reasons for doing that, but you'll probably bite on these nonstops rather than connecting in Atlanta, and while we've got you onboard, notice how much better we've gotten than Delta?"

jetsetter629

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Is there a point at which HHH runs out of space (or the NIMBYs go crazy)? It's added a ton of service in the last 18 months or so.

It struggled before with a full 175 on the ground at once let alone multiple ones now. The terminal is so tiny!

UALFAson

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:11 pm

Disappointed but not surprised to NOT see BNA on this list. I realize UA is a distant 4 out of the Big 4 here, but it's like they're not even trying, and this is the #2 hottest real estate market in the country. I gave up on them shortly after I moved here years ago, and while it makes me sad, it was hands down the smartest thing to do.

It's the old chicken and egg dilemma: nobody flies you because you offer terrible service, but you offer terrible service because nobody flies you.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Jshank83

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Looks like the MKE routes are on the -200 not -550

micstatic

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm

adamblang wrote:
kavok wrote:
I really do see this as a UA play to win over some DL flyers, while putting some UA aircraft and crews to use as well. For many of these markets (the ones that weren’t previously AA/CO/US hubs anyway), Northwest (and then Delta after the merger) historically has been the primary heartland carrier for those outside of Chicago. That heartland strategy has made NW and DL a ton of money over the years, and maybe has been taken for granted recently.

Same. That these are all CRJ-550s tells me "hey Delta flyers, we know you haven't flown us for a while and you had your reasons for doing that, but you'll probably bite on these nonstops rather than connecting in Atlanta, and while we've got you onboard, notice how much better we've gotten than Delta?"

It's a significant stretch to call united's domestic product better than delta. Would be the first time I've heard somebody suggest that.

psa1011

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:35 pm

Someone also updated Wikipedia to show SFO-COS/ITO resuming this summer (but provided no source) - could UA be planning more?

CALMSP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

based on what UA has said internally, almost all the routes are -550, which is waaaay better.

NCAD95

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:37 pm

kavok wrote:
Reading the announcement, I actually view this more as UA using 2021 domestic leisure flying as a way to make a longer term play at getting better marketshare in the heartland. Yes the “focus” may be in HHH/PNS, but the business focus is further north. UA can try the routes out this year, when opportunity cost is low, see if any of the routes does well enough to justify keeping it, but more importantly see if any loyalty can be grown in the respective heartland markets.

To be blunt, I really do see this as a UA play to win over some DL flyers, while putting some UA aircraft and crews to use as well. For many of these markets (the ones that weren’t previously AA/CO/US hubs anyway), Northwest (and then Delta after the merger) historically has been the primary heartland carrier for those outside of Chicago. That heartland strategy has made NW and DL a ton of money over the years, and maybe has been taken for granted recently.

The point of sale is obviously: CLE, CVG, CMH, IND, MKE, PIT, & STL. Kudos to UA to seeing an opportunity for some growth.

Yes but in my opinion Delta has pretty much surrendered a lot of the Midwest and the Heartland to AA and UA. Delta has focused more on the coastal traffic BOS, ATL, LAX, NYC and SEA at the expense of the traditional Northwest strong holds. UA and AA are adding service while Delta does little or northing to grow it's market share there. The only real aggressive move it has made is TVC it is no longer number one in GRR and it has let Flint go.

WidebodyPTV

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I agree with you, but at least for me "not sustainable" connotes "bad idea," and I think demand is still sufficiently odd/depressed that trying to find some routes that make at least a little money probably is not a bad idea.

I’d be surprised if these routes collectively made money...

CALMSP

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:42 pm

psa1011 wrote:
Someone also updated Wikipedia to show SFO-COS/ITO resuming this summer (but provided no source) - could UA be planning more?

I was surprised it wasn't announced when they announced LAX-COS, but there is nothing internally or even for sale to the public. Certainly would be nice, but COS really needs that EWR link (although maybe not in todays environment). COS was always pushing for that 737 COS-EWR.

jetmatt777

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:53 pm

CALMSP wrote:
psa1011 wrote:

I was surprised it wasn't announced when they announced LAX-COS, but there is nothing internally or even for sale to the public. Certainly would be nice, but COS really needs that EWR link (although maybe not in todays environment). COS was always pushing for that 737 COS-EWR.

I wish UA would see COS as a Colorado market worth defending from WN. They need to view COS as an integral part of the DEN strategy, because the two metros are economically linked.

Letting WN grow unrestricted in Colorado is bad for UA. UA needs to be Colorado’s airline.

airlineworker

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 pm

flybry wrote:
I doubt United is just throwing darts at a board here. They have access to travel and demand data from these cities and they’re using that to try to fill some planes that would otherwise be parked or flying empty. Smart move on United’s part. Bravo!

And yet, can't get UA to HVN.

Scarebus34

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Not impressed at all with these adds seeing as they are all on RJ lift. Now, this may lead to upgauging on quite a few other routes, remains to be seen. I think United is still being too conservative in their schedule planning. Only 52% of their 2019 schedule...

freakyrat

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:07 pm

adamblang wrote:
kavok wrote:

AA did the same with Delta when they came back to SBN. Their CRJ900 service to CLT was better than a DL CRJ200 to ATL and they took market share. DL has finally got some CRJ900's free and replaced the 200's with them on the ATL flights.

Right now the airlines are all getting creative with point to point leisure markets until business travel returns. The SBN airport recently put out a feeler to guage interest for limited service to BNA. It was probably G4 that coaxed them to do it.

If Massachusetts could get the pandemic under control and remove some of their restrictions you could see some interest in airlines ramping up point to point service from the Midwest to Nantucket. I'm surprised that G4 hasn't ramped up any seasonal stuff to Myrtle Beach out of the Midwest. That market has been in demand for awhile now.

maps4ltd

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Damn, looks like UA stole my April Fools idea.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Not impressed at all with these adds seeing as they are all on RJ lift. Now, this may lead to upgauging on quite a few other routes, remains to be seen. I think United is still being too conservative in their schedule planning. Only 52% of their 2019 schedule...

I think its going to be around 60% in May. Probably more than that at DEN, IAH, and ORD, and probably less than that at the other hubs.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

rjbesikof

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

What's more surprising is all of the Europe resumptions. They are banking on Europe being open this year. I know KEF and ATH will be open this year. Is that why UA is putting more capacity to Europe?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
2eng2efficient wrote:

It's not a move against DL at all, DL hasn't flown any of these routes in years.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... 20/photo/1

Thank you for providing a listing of the information that is NOT behind a "turn your ad-blocker off or we won't show you the information" website. That's MY issue and my problem if I want to read the entirety of the article, yes, but a short listing of the information should always be in the first posting.

By the end of this calendar year, it should REALLY be interesting to see how the U.S. airline business "stabilizes". Will the airlines go back to hub-and-spoke? Or will more point-to-point routes stay on the schedules?

Acey559

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

I think its going to be around 60% in May. Probably more than that at DEN, IAH, and ORD, and probably less than that at the other hubs.

I just read the flying together article. Interesting to see that Latin America/Mexico/Caribbean flying is going to be greater than 100% compared to 2019 levels. Domestic is 58% and long-haul international is going to be 52%, which is honestly better than I was expecting. Hopefully as we move towards fall things will pick up even more.

Lavdumper

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Good idea for United using some spare capacity and taking advantage of the potentially big leisure travel demand.... Meanwhile, Delta has 11 A220s parked in California....CVG seems to be more active with a lot of Amazon action and the area is teaming with businesses. Sounds like Delta is late to the game....

a320flyer

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 pm

It will be interesting to see if DL responds by starting to explore less-than-daily routes from CVG. Up until now they've stuck with routes they could do daily/mainline such as LAS/DEN/MCO/FLL/RSW/TPA. G4 is also doing up to 4x/day on CVG-VPS this summer.

ContinentalEWR wrote:
And it is kind of weird. If DL could not make CVG work, I don't hold much hope for UA. Spitballing at its finest.

DL can and has made CVG work, but so far they have focused on bulking up existing routes rather than trying new ones.
Last edited by a320flyer on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antarius

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I’d be surprised if these routes collectively made money...

They'll likely make more money than sitting the aircraft on the ground while paying fixed costs.

Until COVID is behind us, the name of the game is loss minimization.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

LCDFlight

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:

Ah, but wait. UA is trying a new business model on this. The CRJ550 is a high yield boutique style airplane, flown at regional wages. These flights are all using it.

This is some sort of a test. Small capacity, high yielding leisure routes from midsize cities. It's like Aspen flights.

nc3rd

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:49 pm

High yielding?
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

adamblang

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:51 pm

micstatic wrote:
adamblang wrote:
kavok wrote:

It's a significant stretch to call united's domestic product better than delta. Would be the first time I've heard somebody suggest that.

Lemme know when Delta puts a mid-cabin snack bar on a 50 seat regional jet.

usdcaguy

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Honesty, I don't think DL needs any more traffic into MYR/CHS/PNS. Maybe HHH, but not the others. Very low yielding and obvious spokes out of ATL. Honestly, I don't know who would want to be in South Carolina in July or August (April, May and September are best), but I suppose the state does have plenty of golf courses and waveless waters to explore in the heat and humidity.

uadc8contrail

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm

CALMSP wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

based on what UA has said internally, almost all the routes are -550, which is waaaay better.

yes the 550 is waaaay better but, who will operate them? if its nogojet then i have no faith in those running ontime.
Bus Driver

LCDFlight

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:10 pm

nc3rd wrote:
High yielding?

60% premium seating.

The RASM of the airplane ought to be the highest in UA's network, yes.

evank516

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Can the 550 handle the short runway at HHH?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos