Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:26 am

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/southwes ... 10786.html

WN pilot's expletive riddled tirade caught on mic

stl07

Re: WN Pilot Goes on Anti-Bay Area Rant

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 am

lol

I would say that SFO is always a pain in the ass for pilots, however
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

blooc350

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:09 am

Is SWA part of a pilot union? If so, then would this pilot get fired? Probably not right?

sfojvjets

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:11 am

stl07 wrote:
lol

LOL I do not see how that would contribute to this guy's tirade since this took place at SJC...

jetmatt777

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:16 am

Eh as much as I like to see WN get embarrassed this talk happens at every airline. Pilots are human too. This is a non-event. I have heard plenty of unprofessional things on the headset before push, and while not taxiing it is still funny to hear the occasional rant. Sucks they didn’t realize they had a hot mic. At the end of the day people are going to be people.

Next topic.

stl07

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 am

sfojvjets wrote:
stl07 wrote:
lol

LOL I do not see how that would contribute to this guy's tirade since this took place at SJC...

Yea there's no need to be that frustrated at SJC of all places
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ATCSuggester

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 am

I will say this: Sidetones save lives!

This reminds me of the stuckmic about 10 years ago where the SWA pilot was ranting about gays, grannies and grandes. Anyone remember that?!

JoseSalazar

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:30 am

ATCSuggester wrote:
I will say this: Sidetones save lives!

This reminds me of the stuckmic about 10 years ago where the SWA pilot was ranting about gays, grannies and grandes. Anyone remember that?!

Would be hilarious if it was the same guy.

Nicknuzzii

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:33 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Eh as much as I like to see WN get embarrassed this talk happens at every airline. Pilots are human too. This is a non-event. I have heard plenty of unprofessional things on the headset before push, and while not taxiing it is still funny to hear the occasional rant. Sucks they didn’t realize they had a hot mic. At the end of the day people are going to be people.

Next topic.

I agree.

BoeingGuy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:39 am

jetmatt777 wrote:

Next topic.

This guy wasn’t in a men’s locker room. He was piloting an airplane full of people. I have my opinions and use the F word too, but I don’t exhibit such anger and hatred as this guy did - with a load of passengers on board.

People will be people isn’t an excuse for a mentally disturbed hate filled tirade.

The fact that you even defend his behavior as an airline pilot , is disturbing.

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:41 am

You have to listen to the audio. They're talking in all sorts of funny, prankish accents, even when speaking to ATC at one point. That accent that says all the offensive stuff is straight out of King of the Hill, and doesn't sound like either pilot's actual voice. Sounds like they were just goofing around saying things that they didn't mean, and then some Woke Do-Gooder LiveATC listener happened to hear it and turned it into something that it wasn't, and the Woke Media picked it up and was righteously indignant. I remember when Herb used to stand up for his employees; that WN caved and issued some screed about not wanting to offend anyone, ever, is really sad. How about this: "The pilots were making light of people who might mock the Bay Area, by play acting characters in a private conversation that inadvertently was recorded. We don't love their humor but we do love that they love their jobs and were having a little fun at work. We'll talk to them." Done.

Scarebus34

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 am

wjcandee wrote:
You have to listen to the audio. They're talking in all sorts of funny, prankish accents, even when speaking to ATC at one point. That accent that says all the offensive stuff is straight out of King of the Hill, and doesn't sound like either pilot's actual voice. Sounds like they were just goofing around saying things that they didn't mean, and then some Woke Do-Gooder LiveATC listener happened to hear it and turned it into something that it wasn't, and the Woke Media picked it up and was righteously indignant. I remember when Herb used to stand up for his employees; that WN caved and issued some screed about not wanting to offend anyone, ever, is really sad. How about this: "The pilots were making light of people who might mock the Bay Area, by play acting characters in a private conversation that inadvertently was recorded. We don't love their humor but we do love that they love their jobs and were having a little fun at work. We'll talk to them." Done.

This is quite the stretch. Even for you....

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
This guy wasn’t in a men’s locker room. He was piloting an airplane full of people. I have my opinions and use the F word too, but I don’t exhibit such anger and hatred as this guy did - with a load of passengers on board.

People will be people isn’t an excuse for a mentally disturbed hate filled tirade.

That you condemn the guy without actually listening to the recording is more disturbing. No way you could listen to that whole snippet and write what you wrote with a straight face.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Pilots are human too. This is a non-event.

This is certainly no "non-event" from a potential liability nor marketing (read that: "financial") standpoint.

And while there's a strong likelihood that this is just some yokel who never left his hometown before becoming a pilot, doesn't comprehend the concept of different-strokes, and never had any real intent to harm anyone; it now puts WN behind the 8ball if essentially anything else were to happen with this person (company internally, or public) in his future employment with them.

Why? Because any plaintiff will be able to point to the fact that the employer *knew* and had reason to know, that this guy was unbalanced. No company enjoys having that kind of outstanding liability in an employee.

And they're going to have to spend money, regardless of how temporarily, and face potential lost revenue (again, likely very temporarily), until this blows over. Nothing insurmountable in the slightest, but still money that they otherwise wouldn't have incurred nor lost, during the worst period in aviation financial history.

In essence, WN will be fine. But I wouldn't be shocked if whatever process this person receives, is automatically elevated to the equivalent of a "strike 2!" at the easiest; or termination.

wjcandee wrote:
No way you could listen to that whole snippet and write what you wrote with a straight face.

Says who?
Last edited by LAX772LR on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:51 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

This is quite the stretch. Even for you....

It's not a stretch. There are at least 4 different voices coming out of one guy (or perhaps two). There is a little giggling at one point. He uses two different funny voices when intentionally speaking to ATC, and responds "Yuuup" at the very end of the snippet when Tower points out to him that he's still on tower when calling departure. Maybe they were having too much fun, but no way that was a serious rant by anybody.

And please stop attacking the messenger because I'm saying that outrage in this case isn't justified. You're all entitled to your opinions. I just think they are mistaken opinions and a convenient rush to judgment, and I'll bet anybody a bite of San Jose Shark that that's what the investigation finds.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoeingGuy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 am

wjcandee wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

That you condemn the guy without actually listening to the recording is more disturbing. No way you could listen to that whole snippet and write what you wrote with a straight face.

Yeah, I listened to it. I’m hardly a saint myself when it cones to off-color talk and jokes. But you defending this is disgraceful.

The guy was in a 737 flight deck with passengers on board, not having beers with his buddies.

reltney

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 am

jetmatt777 wrote:

Next topic.

My man! Thanks! From a cockpit guy!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

sfojvjets

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 am

wjcandee wrote:
How about this: "The pilots were making light of people who might mock the Bay Area, by play acting characters in a private conversation that inadvertently was recorded. We don't love their humor but we do love that they love their jobs and were having a little fun at work. We'll talk to them." Done.

This is possibly the strangest defense I've ever heard and WN would be insane as a company to formally say what you just wrote. The pilot is essentially mocking the pax that he is flying. I don't know if you've listened to the audio, but either this guy was really raving mad or he's a great actor... I think we know which one he is.

I mean either way, even if you're trying to make people believe that their pilots are reciting soliloquys in the cockpit under 10k feet, that in itself is a violation of FAA regulations... last I checked, "play acting characters in a private conversation" is not relevant conversation to flying a plane.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:56 am

wjcandee wrote:
Sounds like they were just goofing around

Ah yes, because that's what airlines and insurers LOVE to see happening in the cockpit.

wjcandee wrote:
I remember when Herb used to stand up for his employees

When there was merit. This isn't that.

Boeing747_600

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:56 am

Sidestepping the issue that some posters think his behaviour merely deserves a shrug, the bigot deserves to be axed for violating the sterile cockpit rule. Period.

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:59 am

sfojvjets wrote:
last I checked, "play acting characters in a private conversation" is not relevant conversation to flying a plane.

Right. Because pilots are robotic humorless automatons who never act in a lighthearted way ever. It's a deadly serious business ever second of every day. They are up front, Scanning The Skies, staring straight ahead, at all times.

I mean, the general public might think that, but y'all? I woulda thought you'd know better.

Heck, look back at all the Internet drama about Caneman and how dangerous and irresponsible and what a bad pilot he was and how his humor was inappropriate and on and on. Until they found out that he was a highly-respected pilot with a slightly odd sense of humor. Who now works for the FAA.

However, I defer to the guy who put it more succinctly: Nothing to see here.

The enforcers among our group have arrived and will "correct" me (vis. The Shining) for eternity at this point, so I'm getting on my coalburner and riding out of here at high speed. In a coupla months, someone will probably PM me what the investigation uncovers. And it won't be that this was a deranged angry madman but a momentary, if mediocre, attempt at humor by some good pilots.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetmatt777

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:00 am

Boeing747_600 wrote:
Sidestepping the issue that some posters think his behaviour merely deserves a shrug, the bigot deserves to be axed for violating the sterile cockpit rule. Period.

So do you propose every pilot who has ever flown should be fired?

TTailedTiger

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:07 am

Wait a minute. We've have endless defenses around here of drunk pilots and calls for keeping their job. But someone has a bad day and it gets broadcast and you're all ready to grab the pitchforks? Something is wrong here.

SFOtoORD

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:09 am

jetmatt777 wrote:

Next topic.

He’s human and free. As are residents of the Bay Area when they choose their air carrier. He makes WN look bad. No need to be such a lunatic in a professional setting.

johnboy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 am

Funny thing ... I’d rather that pilots in charge of flying a multi-million dollar jet with loads of passengers’ lives at stake to keep their minds on the job of safely flying the plane.

This is a black eye for WN, no doubt about that. Perhaps I’m not in the industry and can see it for what it is. Or perhaps WN just overlooks this type of “good ol boy” behavior.

N667US

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:17 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Boeing747_600 wrote:

If every single pilot nowadays is willing to break FAA regulations and risk people's lives to make small talk? Sure. The sterile cockpit rule exists for a reason, see Eastern Air Lines Flight 212, Colgan Air Flight 3407, Delta Airlines Flight 1141 etc.

Newark727

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 am

Part of being a professional is knowing when to keep your unsolicited opinions and hilarious jokes to yourself.

SoCalPilot

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:20 am

Lol, there must be something about SJC and stuck mics. I was flying in the Bay Area several years ago when a Skywest pilot had a stuck mic and was rambling on about the flight attendant.

Everyone getting upset about this would have a heart attack if they spent a couple days flying with some of the pilots I've flown with.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Boeing747_600 wrote:

No, but general market forces are heading evermore that way, and this kind of crap certainly won't help slow that evolution....

wjcandee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
Everyone getting upset about this would have a heart attack if they spent a couple days flying with some of the pilots I've flown with.

They don't fly, so they wouldn't ever do that.

twinotter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:06 am

Surprised at the number of people who want the sterile cockpit regulation rescinded - or at least are denigrating it. Even some of the ones I thought were rational.

ewt340

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 am

We need to put our political bias aside and actually think about this rationally. Fact Check:

The pilot breaking the law for not following the "Sterile flight deck rule".

They need to re-examine his psyche. We don't want Domestic Terrorist flying planes into buildings do we?

We also does not need another Germanwings Flight 9525 down here.

ewt340

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
Lol, there must be something about SJC and stuck mics. I was flying in the Bay Area several years ago when a Skywest pilot had a stuck mic and was rambling on about the flight attendant.

And who are these pilots who break the FAA's Sterile flight deck rule? I'm pretty sure it's your duty to report such illegal activity, especially if you are flying with them. You know, cause, common sense?

Blerg

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 am

Must be a slow news day.

ewt340

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Boeing747_600 wrote:

I propose every Pilot who VIOLATE any regulations and restrictions be fired. Sounds logical don't you think? Safety First! :smile:

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:16 am

I can’t help but wonder if an AS pilot were caught on a hot mic going off about “MAGA-loving backwater rednecks” in CHS, MEM, or some other not-entirely-liberal bastion would earn the same feigned outrage from some of the members here.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

masonh2479

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:16 am

ewt340 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

And who are these pilots who break the FAA's Sterile flight deck rule? I'm pretty sure it's your duty to report such illegal activity, especially if you are flying with them. You know, cause, common sense?

If the pilots actions aren’t detrimental to the safety of the flight, even if he does break the FAA reg, wouldn’t deem a report in my eyes. No one likes a snitch, especially when word spreads quick like being a scab does. The old saying is still true that the FAA isn’t happy until you’re not happy.

masonh2479

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 am

EA CO AS wrote:
I can’t help but wonder if an AS pilot were caught on a hot mic going off about “MAGA-loving backwater rednecks” in CHS, MEM, or some other not-entirely-liberal bastion would earn the same feigned outrage from some of the members here.

Maybe, maybe not, hot mic topics tend to end in a comment argument chain anyways.

ewt340

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 am

masonh2479 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

If the pilots actions aren’t detrimental to the safety of the flight, even if he does break the FAA reg, wouldn’t deem a report in my eyes. No one likes a snitch, especially when word spreads quick like being a scab does. The old saying is still true that the FAA isn’t happy until you’re not happy.

With due respect but such action actually Detrimental to the safety of the flight. Discussing non-related topics during taxing or take-off are dangerous and illogical.
We have regulations for a reason. Sterile flight deck rule didn't came to be because someone just wake up one day and feel like adding new regulations for pilots. It's created because of the crashes that happen before.

I'm sorry if you don't think upholding safety regulations is important, but I do believe if you ask passengers about this they would definitely feel differently about that.

If a Liberal Pilot violate these regulations and showing signs of emotional distress, I would be the first one in line to sign a petition to get those pilot fired and examine. And that's what we need to do as a society. Regulations are not about opinion, it's about facts.

ewt340

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am

EA CO AS wrote:

As a Liberal, I could tell you they would. This is not about our opinion regarding their political stance or believes, this is about accountability.

Regulations regarding the Sterile flight deck rule is not about which political spectrum you're on, it's about safety. It doesn't discriminate if you are left, center or right. If anybody wants to justified this gross violation using their political stance or believes, then clearly they are incapable of making logical choices and should be banned from becoming a pilot. It just didn't make any sense.

atcdan

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 am

I mean, if I said this at work, not keyed up, at the very least I would be reprimanded.

On frequency it would be an unpaid suspension which is actual real trouble aka can lead to removal from service.

The violation of sterile cockpit is bad, the content and particularly the tone make it a lot worse IMO.

Speaking in a vulgar way about conservatives would draw similar ire in my opinion.
LAX ATC

All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way.

zippy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:28 am

EA CO AS wrote:

The outrage shouldn't be about the content but about the actions. There's a reason that there are sterile cockpit rules and that reason is pilot error induced crashes like Delta 1141 and Eastern 212. From listening to the audio I wonder how many of this guy's coworkers would feel uncomfortable reporting him – if that number is greater than zero that's a big CRM problem for Southwest. Imagine if he were piloting one of Southwest's MAX birds and MCAS went haywire right after takeoff. Would you rather he be mid-rant or focused on flying?

I disagree with what this guy said and he certainly came off as ignorant, but as long as he's able to fly safely and adhere to established safety rules I don't care. What I don't get though is why someone would seek out a job with an airline that has such a large presence in an area he so clearly detests. Why bid on flights to the Bay Area if you can't stand it?

11C

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:08 am

wjcandee wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

This is quite the stretch. Even for you....[

It's not a stretch. There are at least 4 different voices coming out of one guy (or perhaps two). There is a little giggling at one point. He uses two different funny voices when intentionally speaking to ATC, and responds "Yuuup" at the very end of the snippet when Tower points out to him that he's still on tower when calling departure. Maybe they were having too much fun, but no way that was a serious rant by anybody.

And please stop attacking the messenger because I'm saying that outrage in this case isn't justified. You're all entitled to your opinions. I just think they are mistaken opinions and a convenient rush to judgment, and I'll bet anybody a bite of San Jose Shark that that's what the investigation finds.

You’re not the messenger, you’re the guy defending someone who was violating sterile cockpit while being a jerk.

11C

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 am

masonh2479 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

Luckily for all of us that what is reportable in your eyes doesn’t actually matter.

NCAD95

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:20 am

It's amazing who people really are when no one is looking. I would say this man has some issues and what caught me was that he acted as if everything were normal after what he had said. These kinds of mentality are very scary as he hides it so well when he's conducting business as not to let on who he really is. This is NOT normal behavior for a well adjusted human.

Weatherwatcher1

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm

For those who may not be aware of the Federal Air Regulations that were possibly violated, here is the text 121.542

(b) No flight crewmember may engage in, nor may any pilot in command permit, any activity during a critical phase of flight which could distract any flight crewmember from the performance of his or her duties or which could interfere in any way with the proper conduct of those duties. Activities such as eating meals, engaging in nonessential conversations within the cockpit and nonessential communications between the cabin and cockpit crews, and reading publications not related to the proper conduct of the flight are not required for the safe operation of the aircraft.

(c) For the purposes of this section, critical phases of flight includes all ground operations involving taxi, takeoff and landing, and all other flight operations conducted below 10,000 feet, except cruise flight.

Note: Taxi is defined as “movement of an airplane under its own power on the surface of an airport.”

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?n ... 2&rgn=div8

Non essential conversations like what we heard broadcast over ATC likely fit in this regulation and I’d suspect management will be speaking to the offender and taking appropriate actions. In this case the non-essential conversion blocked ATC who tried to communicate with the airplane.

SteveXC500

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 pm

Would it make news if the rant was opposed to conservatives?

hpff

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

Probably? It's the US, from my experience everything remotely political is picked up by some news source somewhere.

Also was this before or after pushback, and does that matter for the sterile cockpit law?

AAIL86

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Next topic.

He might need a therapist, its true. But its still a non-event, at least on a national scale. We all have our opinions... and mistakes happen. Not enough to get fired for it, as some are suggesting.
(and before anyone says its covering for him, my opinions on these issues are the exact opposite of his)....
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

NCAD95

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:08 pm

hpff wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Probably? It's the US, from my experience everything remotely political is picked up by some news source somewhere.

Also was this before or after pushback, and does that matter for the sterile cockpit law?

The exchange occurred while they were waiting take-off clearance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos