Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Delta Adds BOS-KEF

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:07 pm

With Iceland allowing vaccinated tourists, Delta’s joining in.

https://news.delta.com/delta-offers-mor ... -americans

BOS-KEF begins May 20.

JFK-KEF resumes May 1, MSP-KEF on May 27. All operated with the 757-200.

So far Delta’s announced at least one new route on Friday’s for the past three weeks. Awesome to see them finally expand again.

Boeing757100

Re: Delta Adds BOS-KEF

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 pm

Nice to hear! I wonder if in the far, far future ATL-KEF might work seasonally, though it might not due to the other routes and competition.

NZ321

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:19 pm

So how many clicks does this give DL at BOS now?

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I see dates JFK-KEF in May that are 763.

At 193 seats, that must be the 75G config on BOS-KEF and MSP-KEF.

iyerhari

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:21 pm

Wow! TATL will now start heating up as folks start to get back to the air. Nice add DL.

Is there a firm date for UA BOS-LHR confirmed?

panamair

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
I see dates JFK-KEF in May that are 763.

At 193 seats, that must be the 75G config on BOS-KEF and MSP-KEF.

The 763 on JFK-KEF must have been the plan before they decided to introduce BOS. Changes will probably be uploaded on Saturday; they will now moderate their total capacity to KEF by switching the JFK flight back to a 757.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Wow! TATL will now start heating up as folks start to get back to the air. Nice add DL.

Still no date for BOS-LHR.

PHLspecial

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:57 pm

iyerhari wrote:

Engage your spoilers, we still have lock down restrictions in place. Realistically we probably see recovery next year.

airbazar

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 pm

iyerhari wrote:

This is most likely the result of this news:
https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... from-us-uk

Unless the UK and EU follow in Iceland's footsteps, I don't see much movement happening for the rest of the TATL market.

deltairlines

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm

airbazar wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Unless the UK and EU follow in Iceland's footsteps, I don't see much movement happening for the rest of the TATL market.

This is exactly the result of that news.

I'm in the New York City area, and 30% of the population has already had at least one shot and that number is climbing quickly By Memorial Day, I'd expect north of 60% of the population will be fully vaccinated.

Mexico and the Caribbean have been booming over the winter for American travelers, as they were basically the only international places Americans could freely travel to. Iceland had already been booming in popularity in the past five years; now add in that it will be one of the few places in Europe that Americans can easily go to?

The interesting thing will be the hotel industry in Iceland. I know they've been opening up new hotels there pretty quickly, but I wouldn't be shocked if demand still outstripped supply for this summer.

asuflyer

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm

I wonder if AA and UA will reconsider returning to KEF given the news.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm

asuflyer wrote:
I wonder if AA and UA will reconsider returning to KEF given the news.

United's EWR-KEF is set to resume on June 3, but that schedule isn't finalized yet. I'd be surprised if they don't resume KEF with Iceland allowing vaccinated tourists.

As for AA, they've completely dropped KEF after shifting DFW-KEF to PHL and never starting it. With their 757s now retired, they'll have to use the A321neo or larger.

airbazar

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm

deltairlines wrote:
The interesting thing will be the hotel industry in Iceland. I know they've been opening up new hotels there pretty quickly, but I wouldn't be shocked if demand still outstripped supply for this summer.

The interesting thing will be whether they can provide the testing required for those Americans to return home, and at what cost. Being vaccinated does not yet exclude you from having to present a negative test before boarding a plane to the U.S.

dc855

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 pm

airbazar wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

The interesting thing will be whether they can provide the testing required for those Americans to return home, and at what cost. Being vaccinated does not yet exclude you from having to present a negative test before boarding a plane to the U.S.

Speaking as a local I would not expect that to be a problem. Testing capacity in the country is actually pretty high. I don't expect a few airplanes leaving for the US to overstretch things.

piedmontf284000

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm

airbazar wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

PHLspecial wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Engage your spoilers, we still have lock down restrictions in place. Realistically we probably see recovery next year.

Agreed. Unfortunately it does not seem likely that TATL will see the same booking recovery that the domestic market is currently seeing. There are far too many unknowns with restrictions and policies different for every country. The Schengen zone is still not open to many countries even within it's own borders, so I just don't see US or Canadian citizens booking flights to Europe anytime soon. No one wants to take a chance. The TATL will be lucky to see 20 percent of 2019 numbers this year.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/s ... countries/

CHA5Departure

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:03 pm

BOS-KEF is well within the range of the A220. If there isn't enough demand to support the 757 does anyone think the operating economics of the A220 are low enough to entice Delta to give it a shot?

TTailedTiger

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:12 pm

Is there really enough demand for a 757 when a 738 would make it just fine?

ContinentalEWR

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:20 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Before COVID hit, there was plenty of demand for East Coast + MSP to KEF in the summer. Iceland was a red hot tourist destination. With fewer options in Europe this summer, and Iceland being open, the demand will likely be there. Icelandair itself has served the market mostly with 757s and a few 767s as well (it does have the MAX too).

rjbesikof

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 am

I am very confused, Iceland has said they will only open to vaccinated Americans on April 6. But someone at The Points Guy already went there. What is going on?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/what-to-e ... nd-travel/

CRJ5000

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:39 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Before COVID hit, there was plenty of demand for East Coast + MSP to KEF in the summer. Iceland was a red hot tourist destination. With fewer options in Europe this summer, and Iceland being open, the demand will likely be there. Icelandair itself has served the market mostly with 757s and a few 767s as well (it does have the MAX too).

I agree. There's a TON of demand to Iceland, combined with the fact that there will be less options in Europe, and a lot of pent up demand to travel. Anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one very soon in the US, so that won't be an issue. I would not at all be surprised to see DL upgrade equipment to KEF. It also helps that this year there is no WOW, which removes a lot of capacity and also keeps the fares higher.

Wneast

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:43 am

I’m even seeing hard rumors about WN potentially starting Iceland flights from BWI this summer

rjbesikof

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 am

What TATL flights is DL tentatively planning to operate from BOS this summer?

DL777200LR

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:57 am

CHA5Departure wrote:
BOS-KEF is well within the range of the A220. If there isn't enough demand to support the 757 does anyone think the operating economics of the A220 are low enough to entice Delta to give it a shot?

No chance. Deltas A220 are not ETOPS rated. The only down gauge possible they could do would be the small 737 ETOPS rated fleet.
Last edited by DL777200LR on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 am

DL777200LR wrote:
CHA5Departure wrote:

No chance. Deltas A220 are not ETOPS rated. The only down gauge possible they could do would be the same 737 ETOPS rated fleet.

I don’t know if it’s right but I have heard from many people you don’t need etops to go to Iceland

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:16 am

CHA5Departure wrote:

There's more factors than that (though none of them insurmountable)... such as the A220s being properly insured, ETOPSed, outfitted, etc for transoceanic routes at this time.

If not, then doing so for a single route might not be worth it to them, yet.

Wneast wrote:
I don’t know if it’s right but I have heard from many people you don’t need etops to go to Iceland

If you want to uneconomically fly well out of your way, then sure.

It's physically possible to get to KEF without ETOPS... heck, it's physically possible to fly SFO-HKG without ETOPS; though not sure why any airline would choose to do either one.

usflyer msp

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:40 am

LAX772LR wrote:
CHA5Departure wrote:

There's more factors than that (though none of them insurmountable)... such as the A220s being properly insured, ETOPSed, outfitted, etc for transoceanic routes at this time.

Wneast wrote:

It's physically possible to get to KEF without ETOPS... heck, it's physically possible to fly SFO-HKG without ETOPS; though not sure why any airline would choose to do either one.

FI flew to BOS and YHZ with non-etops 734s for several years. The detour is not that significant.

icelandair75w

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:48 am

usflyer msp wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
CHA5Departure wrote:

Wneast wrote:

FI flew to BOS and YHZ with non-etops 734s for several years. The detour is not that significant.

It's done regularly, for example one of the freighters which is non-ETOPS is flying daily KEF-BOS-KEF.
On a good day, it adds about 5-10 minutes to the flight time. On a bad day, it'll add 30+.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:55 am

icelandair75w wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

It's done regularly, for example one of the freighters which is non-ETOPS is flying daily KEF-BOS-KEF.
On a good day, it adds about 5-10 minutes to the flight time. On a bad day, it'll add 30+.

But the operative question would be: for what logical reason would an airline with multiple capable types, justify adding any distance at all when there's no operational need to?

icelandair75w

Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
icelandair75w wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

But the operative question would be: for what logical reason would an airline with multiple capable types, justify adding any distance at all when there's no operational need to?

Logically I would assume cheap airframes. Most of the non-ETOPS aircraft were former AA, and were primarily used on Europe routes with the possibility to go to North America if needed. While indeed it is additional cost to fly a longer distance and time, evidently it's negligible.
Some routes from KEF however can be planned non-ETOPS and it turns out to be the most efficient route (YYZ, ORD, MSP come to mind).

NCAD95

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:12 am

icelandair75w wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
icelandair75w wrote:

Logically I would assume cheap airframes. Most of the non-ETOPS aircraft were former AA, and were primarily used on Europe routes with the possibility to go to North America if needed. While indeed it is additional cost to fly a longer distance and time, evidently it's negligible.
Some routes from KEF however can be planned non-ETOPS and it turns out to be the most efficient route (YYZ, ORD, MSP come to mind).

DTW-KEF as well can be flown non-TOPS in this fashion.

twicearound

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 am

rjbesikof wrote:

AMS, CDG, LHR, EDI, DUB, FCO, KEF tentatively.

MAN, LIS, LGW are on hold.

adamh8297

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:36 am

twicearound wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I think LGW will never come back. That was a DY/DI poison pill.

As of this morning 16.93% of the population of Massachusetts is fully vaccinated. That being said the entire population cannot be vaccinated since 16 is the lowest age allowed for some vaccines. That will make transatlantic travel difficult for families with members under 16 if rest of Europe improves and allows travel similar to Iceland.

dc855

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:38 am

rjbesikof wrote:
I am very confused, Iceland has said they will only open to vaccinated Americans on April 6. But someone at The Points Guy already went there. What is going on?

As an Icelander this indeed makes little sense. I can only surmise that the person applied for and got some sort of an exemption to travel to Iceland without entering quarantine. There are currently such exemptions for various people, e.g. people doing important business, journalists, sportspeople etc.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am

adamh8297 wrote:
twicearound wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

I think LGW will never come back. That was a DY/DI poison pill.

As of this morning 16.93% of the population of Massachusetts is fully vaccinated. That being said the entire population cannot be vaccinated since 16 is the lowest age allowed for some vaccines. That will make transatlantic travel difficult for families with members under 16 if rest of Europe improves and allows travel similar to Iceland.

DL's BOS-LGW plans were not related to DY rather a way to blunt B6's entry into toe BOS-LON market before it even happened. With B6 getting access to LHR, it's a moot point as DL already flies to LHR from BOS.

OA412

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Please refrain from using this forum to spread COVID lies and misinformation.

spinotter

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Three daily 757s? Overkill? What kind of load factors do people predict on these flights?

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:51 pm

spinotter wrote:
Three daily 757s? Overkill? What kind of load factors do people predict on these flights?

I expect 60+% load factors mid-June to mid-August, and in this climate - depending on avg fares - that's probably good enough. The 90+% peaks DL has seen on 3Q TATL in the not-distant past? Not this summer, IMHO.

Like a lot of small destinations that have seen pretty big air capacity increases (PWM, for one), one might expect KEF traveler numbers to be constrained by hotel and rental car pricing and availability.

andrew1996

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:19 pm

How much is cargo driving the route? Can't imagine there being much competition or air cargo capacity going into Iceland these days for Icelandic exports beyond a few Iceland Air cargo flights to North Aemrica and Europe

CantbeGrounded

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:10 pm

rjbesikof wrote:

The word 'April" does not appear in this document. Didn't read the whole thing but perhaps this answers your question.

https://www.logreglan.is/english/regard ... -covid-19/

AV8AJET

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Delta please start ATL-KEF!!

SRQKEF

Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

I expect 60+% load factors mid-June to mid-August, and in this climate - depending on avg fares - that's probably good enough. The 90+% peaks DL has seen on 3Q TATL in the not-distant past? Not this summer, IMHO.

Like a lot of small destinations that have seen pretty big air capacity increases (PWM, for one), one might expect KEF traveler numbers to be constrained by hotel and rental car pricing and availability.

While I agree on LFs close to 100% being optimistic, hotel and rental car constraints won't be the reason. Iceland was handling over 2M tourists a year pre-Covid, having 15 flights a day to the US on FI/DL won't come close to those numbers and hotels are projecting only around 20% occupancy rates this summer.

Regards!
Sveinn

lesfalls

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 am

SRQKEF wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

While I agree on LFs close to 100% being optimistic, hotel and rental car constraints won't be the reason. Iceland was handling over 2M tourists a year pre-Covid, having 15 flights a day to the US on FI/DL won't come close to those numbers and hotels are projecting only around 20% occupancy rates this summer.

Regards!
Sveinn

In that case were hotels in Iceland bursting at seams before Covid and was there planned construction for more hotels?

ChrisNH38

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 am

andrew1996 wrote:
How much is cargo driving the route? Can't imagine there being much competition or air cargo capacity going into Iceland these days for Icelandic exports beyond a few Iceland Air cargo flights to North Aemrica and Europe

Icelandair flies two back-to-back cargo 757s to Boston every day, so I can’t imagine DL cargo will have a lot of demand with that existing capacity.

RobertS975

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:32 pm

BOS-KEF can be done without invoking ETOPs with a slightly longer and more northerly route directly over YYR and the two airports on the western coast of Greenland, BGSF and BGBW.

dtwpilot225

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Just my opinion but some of the routes we have seen announced lately like this one and Dtw-anc are routes that delta likely would have announced with the 321 neo that they should have had about 15 or so of now
I bet summer 2022 these routes are all neo

rjbesikof

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:36 pm

dtwpilot225 wrote:
Just my opinion but some of the routes we have seen announced lately like this one and Dtw-anc are routes that delta likely would have announced with the 321 neo that they should have had about 15 or so of now
I bet summer 2022 these routes are all neo

Maybe so, but if all of the routes that DL will operate to KEF have good load factors, I bet at least one will go to an A330 by july.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Anyone know why these flights aren’t on sale? DL.com & DL app show these flights loaded in the schedule but try doing a dummy booking May 25-29 randomly for BOS-KEF or MSP-KEF and everything is routed thru JFK. Doesn’t DL load their new flights on Saturday’s?

airbazar

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm

dc855 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

As an Icelander this indeed makes little sense. I can only surmise that the person applied for and got some sort of an exemption to travel to Iceland without entering quarantine. There are currently such exemptions for various people, e.g. people doing important business, journalists, sportspeople etc.

It says so on the article itself:
"Editor’s note: Andrew got in during a brief window when Americans were being allowed in with proof of vaccine"

RobertS975 wrote:
BOS-KEF can be done without invoking ETOPs with a slightly longer and more northerly route directly over YYR and the two airports on the western coast of Greenland, BGSF and BGBW.

WOW operated plenty of route from KEF to the U.S. without ever receiving ETOPS certification.
This is what a non-ETOPS route looks like:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KBOS
Distance
Actual: 2,551 mi (Planned: 2,627 mi/Direct: 2,410 mi)
It adds a mere 140 miles.

efg1588

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:36 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Anyone know why these flights aren’t on sale? DL.com & DL app show these flights loaded in the schedule but try doing a dummy booking May 25-29 randomly for BOS-KEF or MSP-KEF and everything is routed thru JFK. Doesn’t DL load their new flights on Saturday’s?

I too was wondering the same thing. When I try dates in June and July for a long weekend it wants to route me via MSP or JFK, but nothing nonstop seems to appear. Fares seem to be on the expensive side as well.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:45 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

It's strange. It looks like they did modify JFK-KEF so that all flights are now on the 752 instead of 763.