Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg
Topic Author

Ryanair News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:36 am

Good morning,

Various sources are reporting that in an hour at a press conference Ryanair will announce the opening of its newest base in Zagreb (ZAG). Flights are supposed to start in September and they will include the following destinations:

TGD, CIA, BGY, FMM, FKB, HHN, CRL, DTM, BVA, STN, GOT and TRF.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of Croatia Airlines as most of these will compete directly with their flights to primary airports in the same catchment area. In the past ZAG struggled to attract LCC carriers due to high charges and they accounted for only 4% of their total traffic.

Source:
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/03/ry ... tions.html

Update: flights have been loaded into the system.

MCTSET

Re: FR to open ZAG base

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:08 pm

I thought Zagreb was known for high fees, I guess C19 made them change their mind.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm

MCTSET wrote:
I thought Zagreb was known for high fees, I guess C19 made them change their mind.

From what I read they are giving airlines 80% discount on fees but it seems like they have to commit for a period of five years.

davidjohnson6

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Committing for 5 years, opening new routes and providing service year round doesn't sound particularly onerous. I imagine other LCCs could be persuaded to take an interest

MCTSET

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:41 pm

Especially when a lot of leisure traffic is more focused on the coast than zagreb

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:26 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Committing for 5 years, opening new routes and providing service year round doesn't sound particularly onerous. I imagine other LCCs could be persuaded to take an interest

I am sure OU is praying to all Gods out there the opposite happens. I don't think they can survive this attack by FR.

LH748

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 pm

That means the end of Croatia Airlines. So sad to see another small carrier die a slow death

hpff

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
Good morning,

Various sources are reporting that in an hour at a press conference Ryanair will announce the opening of its newest base in Zagreb (ZAG). Flights are supposed to start in September and they will include the following destinations:

Will be interesting to see what becomes of Croatia Airlines as most of these will compete directly with their flights to primary airports in the same catchment area. In the past ZAG struggled to attract LCC carriers due to high charges and they accounted for only 4% of their total traffic.

Source:

FR only have announced 36 flights a week starting in September and there's less overlap than you'd think, though the markets with overlap are large markets, albeit to classic Ryanair secondary airports. It'll be interesting to watch.

Croatia Airlines only (April schedule):
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Skopje
Zürich
Dublin
Sarajevo
Vienna
Dubrovnik
Split
Bol (Brač)
Zadar-Pula

Overlap:
Frankfurt*
Munich*
Brussels*
London*
Paris*

Ryanair Only:
Rome*
Podgorica
Baden
Gothenburg
Oslo
Dortmund

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 am

hpff wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Good morning,

Source:

FR only have announced 36 flights a week starting in September and there's less overlap than you'd think, though the markets with overlap are large markets, albeit to classic Ryanair secondary airports. It'll be interesting to watch.

Croatia Airlines only (April schedule):
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Skopje
Zürich
Dublin
Sarajevo
Vienna
Dubrovnik
Split
Bol (Brač)
Zadar-Pula

Overlap:
Frankfurt*
Munich*
Brussels*
London*
Paris*

Ryanair Only:
Rome*
Podgorica
Baden
Gothenburg
Oslo
Dortmund

I'd also add Rome to the overlap column since OU operated ZAG-FCO with a stop on the coast. I can't imagine anyone traveling between the two cities will use OU in the future. I guess this summer will be a bad one for OU since FR is launching most of its routes in September. Seems like they don't expect demand to recover before then.
If they start attacking them in winter when there is less overall demand then their losses will increase exponentially. I can see them selling their remaining LHR slots next.

Sure the markets in which they overlap might not be small but they might be not big enough for so many airlines. For example in Paris now you will have Air France, Croatia Airlines and Ryanair. Same thing in London where in addition to Ryanair they have British Airways.

davidjohnson6

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 am

I think Croatia Air will be able to defend Paris better than London. Stansted is better connected to the city than Beauvais
Equally Hahn is not always an easy sell

Croatia Air will struggle, but their airports are not quite the same as Ryanair's. They will need to change their marketing focus

YUAND

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am

I agree that this more than likely means the end is near for Croatia Airlines. Whilst what many users have said about Ryanair re secondary airports is indeed true, there are other carriers that serve ZAG e.g. AF to CDG (pre C19 of course) that can be used by customers wishing to fly to a primary airport. Notably, in the case of Rome and London, the airports are not badly connected to the city so they will be key battles.

The one market that OU could win on here is the LH feeder market to MUC and FRA and other star alliance hubs. There is no reason why LX/LH/OS etc wouldn't decide to simply run the routes themselves however.

davidjohnson6

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 pm

Ryanair want to expand eventually to up to 40 routes from Zagreb.
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/03/ry ... agreb.html
Croatia Air are well and truly in deep trouble

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:46 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Ryanair want to expand eventually to up to 40 routes from Zagreb.
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/03/ry ... agreb.html
Croatia Air are well and truly in deep trouble

Just a small correction, it's Croatia Airlines but yes, they are in deep trouble.

SCQ83

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:11 pm

Wow. Is Ryanair using the new or the old terminal in ZAG?

So what will happen with the Zagreb-coast routes if OU goes bankrupt?

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Wow. Is Ryanair using the new or the old terminal in ZAG?

So what will happen with the Zagreb-coast routes if OU goes bankrupt?

They will be using the new one, even though the original design was downgraded there is still room.

Those routes to the coast are subsidized so someone else will take over, most likely Trade Air.

a350lover

Ryanair launches Riga base with 16 new routes

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:20 am

16 new routes in Riga this winter.

All of them operated by Buzz

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/13 ... 40708?s=20
Last edited by a350lover on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

avier

Re: Ryanair launches Riga base with 16 new routes

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am

Poor Air Baltic :(

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 am

I can only imagine what the mood is like at BT HQ this morning. They struggled financially before this. FR is going for the kill, launching so many destinations in winter when demand is softer even under normal circumstances. I think they want to force BT to bleed to death.

minilinde

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 am

a350lover wrote:

But no news until its official. Where is the source?

Someone83

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:06 am

minilinde wrote:

But no news until its official. Where is the source?

Tried a few dummy bookings, such as RIX-TRF, tickets seems to be on sale

AA737-823

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 am

Having flown both carriers, I know that EVERY facet of the travel experience is better on airBaltic.
Hopefully, they will survive this obvious assault.

a350lover

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 am

Do you see Wizz responding to this only to make things even harder for all three of them?

ExMilitaryEng

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm

Way too much capacity for Riga, they are obviously going for the kill, nothing else.

BT must be hurting Ryanair elsewhere to warrant such a predatory move.

a350lover

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm

It'll be a 2 aircraft base. Most of the routes not even daily, and some of them leisure orientated, namely PMO, BOJ, AGP.

Destinations like Paris, Munich or Frankfurt will be flown to the secondary and quite remote airports FR use there; BVA, FMM and HHN.

Air Baltic is quite aggressive with its commercial strategy and offers convenient connections through the Baltics. I don't see the BT demise yet.
Last edited by a350lover on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidjohnson6

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Ryanair are committing just 2 aircraft to Riga - these routes are going to be flown at low frequencies.
If Ryanair were really in kill mode, they would be putting more aircraft into Riga

SCQ83

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm

HHN-RIX is a former route. I flew it a few moons ago :D I wouldn't surprised this is the case for RIX-BVA/FMM.

SCQ83

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm

On the other hand, it seems that Ryanair is somehow "returning" to those secondary airports like HHN, FMM or BVA (where it opened a base a few months ago).

Before COVID, Ryanair was gradually leaving those remote airports focusing on main airports. I wonder what is behind this. Money from the airport/local governments? (Re) Opening those routes before Wizz Air moves in?

mxaxai

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 pm

a350lover wrote:
Air Baltic is quite aggressive with its commercial strategy and offers convenient connections through the Baltics. I don't see the BT demise yet.

I hope so. BT has been very ambitious with a large fleet of A220. Remember that they filed bankruptcy 10 years ago and have been government-owned since then. And while the Baltic states have seen major economic growth, they're still very price concious.

FCOTSTW

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:50 pm

a350lover wrote:

Is this Buzz Air, the low- low-cost division of a low-cost airline?

lesfalls

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:19 pm

mxaxai wrote:
a350lover wrote:

I hope so. BT has been very ambitious with a large fleet of A220. Remember that they filed bankruptcy 10 years ago and have been government-owned since then. And while the Baltic states have seen major economic growth, they're still very price concious.

They were doing fine before 2019 (when they made a -7.7 mil net loss) . I think it has to do with their over expansion. From 2018 to 2019 they made 5.4 to -7.7, from 34 to 38 aircraft and 1,585 employees to 1,716 (quite big considering Volotea has 300 less employees and operates bigger aircraft). In the end I believe it’s the mix of expansion and their cost base it just too high. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirBaltic#Business_trends

Galwayman

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm

a350lover wrote:
Do you see Wizz responding to this only to make things even harder for all three of them?

That would be a dreafully silly move . Wizz keeps running away from FR , theyre more likely to head east from AUH

lightsaber

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm

avier wrote:
Poor Air Baltic :(

This is a definitive attack.

There is no doubt this will reduce AirBaltic yield.

The gloves are off.

Lightsaber

Falcon Flyer

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm

My bet is BT will come out ahead. They've built some critical mass with the fleet and operation and the product is far superior. There may be some short term bleeding but long term, they'll come out on top.

Polot

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Falcon Flyer wrote:
My bet is BT will come out ahead. They've built some critical mass with the fleet and operation and the product is far superior. There may be some short term bleeding but long term, they'll come out on top.

The question is whether people will be willing to pay for that better experience in what is still a very price sensitive market. Buzz likely comes out ahead in terms of cost, especially if they end up using their Max200s on the routes.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 am

Don't forget that RIX has not yet recovered from covid so BT is still working on rebuilding its network. On top of that, they are coming in autumn which makes their intentions as clear as day. One thing BT does not have working in its favor is its hub's geographical location. They are too far north and most of their regional destinations are not a major source of passengers. Only Moscow is a truly big market in their vicinity. It's not like Austrian Airlines which has the Balkans with 70 million people and the whole of Middle East to fill seats on flights they compete directly on with Wizz Air and Ryanair out of Vienna. airBaltic will have to rely on Palanga, Vilnius, Helsinki, Minsk and so on.

alm1

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:56 am

I would say these routes show crisis on Ryanair part. They have nowhere to fly and not enough markets to tap. They will never be able to fill planes in many of these routes and anybody savy in the market knows it. Routes like RIX-KRK would have been impossible to fill even in Summer 2019 with 5 euro tickets. Most of these routes will be gone in a year.

artflyer

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 am

Blerg wrote:
Don't forget that RIX has not yet recovered from covid so BT is still working on rebuilding its network. On top of that, they are coming in autumn which makes their intentions as clear as day. One thing BT does not have working in its favor is its hub's geographical location. They are too far north and most of their regional destinations are not a major source of passengers. Only Moscow is a truly big market in their vicinity. It's not like Austrian Airlines which has the Balkans with 70 million people and the whole of Middle East to fill seats on flights they compete directly on with Wizz Air and Ryanair out of Vienna. airBaltic will have to rely on Palanga, Vilnius, Helsinki, Minsk and so on.

What you see as a weakness of BT may actually be their strength. Look at it in the following way: except for some routes that are already served from the Baltics by Wizz/Ryanair (like LON and other major Baltic emigrants routes), other routes flown by BT can hardly be operated with A220 at much less than daily frequences. To what I recall BT never had particularily high LFs and this despite their hub and spoke model and collecting pax from over the place, what Ryanair will be unable to do. Can Ryanair make these routes work long time with a bigger equipment? And I don't mean can it destroy BT short term, but what next?

BT was a blessing for LO at a time when it was investor in Nordica. LO wanted to do everything to avoid the need to fly direct from the Baltics, what in turn, and understandibly so, was the agenda of the Estonian state, a co-investor in Nordica. BT made it redundand for Nordica at that time, filling the gap, others did not want to fill. I wonder has anything changed since then.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:56 am

artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:

What you see as a weakness of BT may actually be their strength. Look at it in the following way: except for some routes that are already served from the Baltics by Wizz/Ryanair (like LON and other major Baltic emigrants routes), other routes flown by BT can hardly be operated with A220 at much less than daily frequences. To what I recall BT never had particularily high LFs and this despite their hub and spoke model and collecting pax from over the place, what Ryanair will be unable to do. Can Ryanair make these routes work long time with a bigger equipment? And I don't mean can it destroy BT short term, but what next?

BT was a blessing for LO at a time when it was investor in Nordica. LO wanted to do everything to avoid the need to fly direct from the Baltics, what in turn, and understandibly so, was the agenda of the Estonian state, a co-investor in Nordica. BT made it redundand for Nordica at that time, filling the gap, others did not want to fill. I wonder has anything changed since then.

I think the real question here is how long BT can last for? How much capital reserves do they have and in what way they can secure additional funds.

SCQ83

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:33 am

alm1 wrote:
I would say these routes show crisis on Ryanair part. They have nowhere to fly and not enough markets to tap. They will never be able to fill planes in many of these routes and anybody savy in the market knows it. Routes like RIX-KRK would have been impossible to fill even in Summer 2019 with 5 euro tickets. Most of these routes will be gone in a year.

I agree with your POV, but I don't see Wizz any different. Some of WizzAir's new routes like Gdańsk-Skellefteå or Cluj Napoca-Mykonos would be even crazy before COVID.

artflyer

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
alm1 wrote:

I agree with your POV, but I don't see Wizz any different. Some of WizzAir's new routes like Gdańsk-Skellefteå or Cluj Napoca-Mykonos would be even crazy before COVID.

I fully agree. On a side note I wonder why instead of RIX-KRK and similar they do not just fly more secondary Ukraine to secondary Poland. Given the number of Ukrainians working or studing in Poland, that seems to me to be a market with huge potential, provided flying is properly marketed to replace buses that are currently used by these people. For now there is just Wizz on OZH-WRO, OZH-KTW, HRK-WRO, HRK-GDA, LVO-WRO, LVO-LCJ and Rynair from KBP (which of course is not secondary) to POZ, WRO, GDA and WMI. And we are talking about +1 mln people staying in Poland.

mxaxai

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm

artflyer wrote:
Given the number of Ukrainians working or studing in Poland, that seems to me to be a market with huge potential, provided flying is properly marketed to replace buses that are currently used by these people.

My guess would be cost / yields. Buses are the cheapest form of transportation currently. Although there are exceptions, many Ukrainians working in Poland are paid relatively little. More than at home but little for Polish standards. The distances from Ukraine to Poland permit relatively short bus rides (compared to central or western Europe).

artflyer

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm

Blerg wrote:
artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I think the real question here is how long BT can last for? How much capital reserves do they have and in what way they can secure additional funds.

Well, last year they got 250 mln euro from Estonia. In know initially Estonia planned to inject more, but that sum already seems to me a lot of money given their 2019 revenue of 509 mln euro. And more importantly all that money was equity and not loans! Consequently, it may be used to absorb losses as well as increases creditworthiness versus other creditors opening possibility to incure more financial liabilities or at least have a good trade credit. How much negative cashflow can you generate per year with 509 mln euro revenue (I do not care about amortisation of these shiny A220)? I also tend to recall they own most of their fleet, so in need could do sale-and-leaseback.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:58 am

BT to takeover its passenger handling services at RIX.

https://airlinergs.com/airbaltic-to-tak ... a-airport/

Kikko19

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 am

artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:
artflyer wrote:

Well, last year they got 250 mln euro from Estonia. In know initially Estonia planned to inject more, but that sum already seems to me a lot of money given their 2019 revenue of 509 mln euro. And more importantly all that money was equity and not loans! Consequently, it may be used to absorb losses as well as increases creditworthiness versus other creditors opening possibility to incure more financial liabilities or at least have a good trade credit. How much negative cashflow can you generate per year with 509 mln euro revenue (I do not care about amortisation of these shiny A220)? I also tend to recall they own most of their fleet, so in need could do sale-and-leaseback.

You mean Latvia gave these funds.

IrishLessor

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 am

This is another predatory move by Ryanair.
Where does this all end. They have scale, they have cash, they have the cost base.
What happens when all the smaller airline are gone, for the love of a €10 fare?
A free market has benefits but now its come to the stage where the scale has tipped the other way, a few large strong carriers holding too much power.
I for one think this is gone too far.

A move to self handling is a big positive step, very like Jet2 at their largest bases. However, what is the key USP for AirBaltic that would warrant the customer paying a sustainable premium over Ryanair?

Iberia has its South America network
BA has its global hub and scale at LHR
Aer Lingus has its Transatlantic network
Finnair has its well developed linked to Asia via Helsinki..

Struggling to see the AirBaltic obvious strategy to deal with this.

davidjohnson6

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 am

Air Baltic's strategy should be to stick to primary airports which are well connected to their main city at high frequency. That means flying to Paris CDG daily (or better) instead of Beauvais 2x per week.

AirBaltic hasn't got a hope at trying to compete for the pax seeking the cheapest possible fare
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IrishLessor

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 am

This makes sense davidjohnson6 but how many cities are there where Ryanair cannot access the primary airport, outside of Paris in this case, not many. Ex Dublin hardly any SH route pair's not served that Aer Lingus fly, ie GVA, LHR, a few others but not restricted for Ryanair access...

davidjohnson6

Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:01 am

There are airports where Ryanair has access, but chooses to fly to the secondary airport from Riga. Examples include Torp instead of Oslo, or Bremen instead of Hamburg

Weatherwatcher1

Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Falcon Flyer wrote:

Competition is good, but it’s hard to say who will come out on top and what the new equilibrium will be. My guess is that Ryanair will have a more seasonal schedule compared to Air Baltic which may help with local demand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos