Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:12 pm

The US DoT announced today that the Essential Air Service contract for Jackson, Tennessee will switch from Air Choice One to Boutique Air on June 1.

Boutique Air will offer 12x week service to ATL, and 6x week service to STL, using Pilatus PC-12s. Air Choice One currently serves Jackson 18x week from STL with Cessna Caravans.

Boutique Air has already posted their schedules to Jackson on their web site. Boutique Air will offer a morning ATL-MKL-STL flight, a mid day STL-MKL-ATL flight, and an evening ATL-MKL flight that spends the night in Jackson, before returning to ATL the next morning.

The through ATL-MKL-STL and STL-MKL-ATL flights will be nice ways for the people on this web site who enjoy logging new airports, to log MKL without having to spend the night there.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9602
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Will they interline to DL?
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15158
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 pm

While it's nearly impossible to figure out "truthful" O&D numbers for EAS markets, my guess is that ATL is the largest local O&D market from MKL. I don't see why MKL needs air service, but this is not a bad service pattern if it must be served.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4300
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Will they interline to DL?


From the STL chat last week.

Jshank83 wrote:
New airline coming to STL! (Sorry not JetBlue)

Boutique air is taking over the EAS route to Jackson, TN from Air Choice One

Starting June 1st it will have 6 weekly flights to Jackson (12 from Jackson-ATL)

Boutique Air has an interline and codeshare with United and an interline with American

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -7857-0290
 
Chuska
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm

Air Choice One is loosing a lot of its routes, just lost FOD and MCW to SkyWest. Looks like all they have left is BRL and JBR.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4300
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Chuska wrote:
Air Choice One is loosing a lot of its routes, just lost FOD and MCW to SkyWest. Looks like all they have left is BRL and JBR.


no code share I think really hurts them.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9602
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Will they interline to DL?


From the STL chat last week.

Jshank83 wrote:
New airline coming to STL! (Sorry not JetBlue)

Boutique air is taking over the EAS route to Jackson, TN from Air Choice One

Starting June 1st it will have 6 weekly flights to Jackson (12 from Jackson-ATL)

Boutique Air has an interline and codeshare with United and an interline with American

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -7857-0290


Thank you for that answer, and for linking the source.

IMHO interlines to AA and UA at STL and ATL don't get you much.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5503
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:50 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Chuska wrote:
Air Choice One is loosing a lot of its routes, just lost FOD and MCW to SkyWest. Looks like all they have left is BRL and JBR.


no code share I think really hurts them.

Those small communities almost always take the biggest and nicest airplane proposed.
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:33 pm

ACO is getting squeezed out of the EAS program due to complete lack of connectivity. JBR and BRL come up for renewal end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 and that should spell the end of ACO , at least in the commercial airline business
 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:02 pm

RJNUT wrote:
ACO is getting squeezed out of the EAS program due to complete lack of connectivity. JBR and BRL come up for renewal end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 and that should spell the end of ACO , at least in the commercial airline business


I'm sad to see Air Choice One getting squeezed out.

I've had two trips on them: ORD-Decatur, Illinois-St Louis in 2012, and MSP-Mason City - Burlington - STL in 2016, and I really enjoyed both trips. Air Choice One is a good little airline, definitely a big improvement over Sea Port and Great Lakes (or, as I called them, "Great Mistakes).
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15158
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:02 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Will they interline to DL?


From the STL chat last week.

Jshank83 wrote:
New airline coming to STL! (Sorry not JetBlue)

Boutique air is taking over the EAS route to Jackson, TN from Air Choice One

Starting June 1st it will have 6 weekly flights to Jackson (12 from Jackson-ATL)

Boutique Air has an interline and codeshare with United and an interline with American

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -7857-0290


Thank you for that answer, and for linking the source.

IMHO interlines to AA and UA at STL and ATL don't get you much.


Without checking schedules, don't they get passengers access to the largest markets (Chicago, New York, D.C., L.A., Houston, the Metroplex, etc.)? As I mentioned, ATL is likely itself a pretty big O&D draw.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:05 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
ACO is getting squeezed out of the EAS program due to complete lack of connectivity. JBR and BRL come up for renewal end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 and that should spell the end of ACO , at least in the commercial airline business


I'm sad to see Air Choice One getting squeezed out.

I've had two trips on them: ORD-Decatur, Illinois-St Louis in 2012, and MSP-Mason City - Burlington - STL in 2016, and I really enjoyed both trips. Air Choice One is a good little airline, definitely a big improvement over Sea Port and Great Lakes (or, as I called them, "Great Mistakes).

Unlike Great Mistakes, ACO is somewhat reliable.
 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
ACO is getting squeezed out of the EAS program due to complete lack of connectivity. JBR and BRL come up for renewal end of 2021 or beginning of 2022 and that should spell the end of ACO , at least in the commercial airline business


I'm sad to see Air Choice One getting squeezed out.

I've had two trips on them: ORD-Decatur, Illinois-St Louis in 2012, and MSP-Mason City - Burlington - STL in 2016, and I really enjoyed both trips. Air Choice One is a good little airline, definitely a big improvement over Sea Port and Great Lakes (or, as I called them, "Great Mistakes).

Unlike Great Mistakes, ACO is somewhat reliable.


In 2015, I booked a MEM-MKL-BNA flight on Seaport, to try to log MKL, and it was a disaster. Seaport cancelled my flight, and I had to do a one way car rental. I-40 was reduced to one lane about 20 miles west of Nashville due to a serious accident, so I had to take back roads to BNA. When I returned my car, the rental agency said "we've been getting a lot of business from Seaport cancellations".

Seaport refused to reimburse me for my ticket or my one way car rental. Only after I filed a DoT complaint against them did they give me a refund.

As you said, Air Choice One is a big improvement, as is Boutique Air.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:57 pm

I would think a Pilatus is a better ride than a Caravan.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 pm

AirlineGeeks does an update every couple of months on EAS cities, this city was in the recent update...

https://airlinegeeks.com/2021/03/20/eas ... up-part-3/

Boutique Air also took the contract from Air Choice One in IWD last August.

Looks like the same person (I assume as the last names are the same) who writes the articles made trip report video of ORD-MCW-FOD-STL just before it switched to UA.

https://youtu.be/eopZQZyNcyg

Seems as though this person does a lot of videos on EAS cities and airlines and posts about them quite a bit on his/her social media channels. Nice to see someone paying attention to these smaller airports and airlines
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8666
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

From the STL chat last week.



Thank you for that answer, and for linking the source.

IMHO interlines to AA and UA at STL and ATL don't get you much.


Without checking schedules, don't they get passengers access to the largest markets (Chicago, New York, D.C., L.A., Houston, the Metroplex, etc.)? As I mentioned, ATL is likely itself a pretty big O&D draw.


You could be right, UA and AA might be enough. Any leisure pax are almost certainly driving to MEM or BNA for lower fares, so the EAS route will largely serve the local business community. ATL and CLT are the largest business and finance markets in the south. Throw in NYC, WAS, ORD, DFW etc and between them they will have a decent network for business passengers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
joeblow10
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
AirlineGeeks does an update every couple of months on EAS cities, this city was in the recent update...

https://airlinegeeks.com/2021/03/20/eas ... up-part-3/

Boutique Air also took the contract from Air Choice One in IWD last August.

Looks like the same person (I assume as the last names are the same) who writes the articles made trip report video of ORD-MCW-FOD-STL just before it switched to UA.

https://youtu.be/eopZQZyNcyg

Seems as though this person does a lot of videos on EAS cities and airlines and posts about them quite a bit on his/her social media channels. Nice to see someone paying attention to these smaller airports and airlines


Not to get off topic but had no idea SUX and JLN were going to OO/UA. DEN is really becoming the EAS “hub” of the US... ORD as well
 
QXorVX
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:45 am

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
... log MKL without having to spend the night there.


The most critical detail! :D
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 pm

DEN / DFW / ORD seem to be the EAS destinations. Makes sense with all of the connections available.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:59 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
DEN / DFW / ORD seem to be the EAS destinations. Makes sense with all of the connections available.


Correct, I’ve also noticed a lot of EAS destinations around the northeast they have both ORD and IAD service. So it will go from IAD-the EAS city-ORD
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: EAS at Jackson, Tennessee switching from Air Choice One to Boutique Air

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 am

nomorerjs wrote:
DEN / DFW / ORD seem to be the EAS destinations. Makes sense with all of the connections available.

SkyWest has been chasing the EAS or other subsidized routes hard in the last year. Makes sense for them, they own the aircraft outright, as well as the training chain, and have a ton of slack in the schedule. It was all paid for and expensed long ago. When things return to "Normal" in a few years, they will have kept pilots on the payroll, and be able to react quicker than the competition.

They were going after some of this before COVID, but they got very aggressive about it last year. The Q1 Earnings report should be interesting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos