Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EI320

Re: Irish 4/21: Turbulence!

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:04 pm

First positive signal from a Government Minister on foreign travel this summer:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... 8?mode=amp

To summarise - “Mr Coveney said at some stage over the coming months people will see the potential for international travel again”.

My guess would be late July / early August once the vast majority of the population have received at least one vaccine dose. Still a long way off, but good to finally see some light at the end of this long tunnel and acceptance from Govt that foreign travel will happen this summer. It will also serve as a boost to airlines with these soundings hopefully translating into stronger forward bookings for August and beyond.

Clydenairways

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus has pushed out its season on DUB - ADB extending it to end of October. They could even get November out of it. They may do this with a number of routes should travel open up end of August so get a few months out of them where usually these would end in September. We could see some Greek Island routes extended also if they decide to go with that strategy.

I didnt think there was much of a market for Turkey or Greece in November....

Clydenairways

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
Looks like the Stobart deal is done

Esken sells Stobart Air to Isle of Man-based Ettyl

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 33648.html

I suspect the new Stobart will focus on flights from the IOM, but as far as i know they still have the PSO's to KIR and CFN.... It was Stobart who won the bid, not EI. I wonder if the airline will be called Ettyl ? or perhaps Eitilt ?

OA260

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Aer Lingus has pushed out its season on DUB - ADB extending it to end of October. They could even get November out of it. They may do this with a number of routes should travel open up end of August so get a few months out of them where usually these would end in September. We could see some Greek Island routes extended also if they decide to go with that strategy.

For a few years pre C-19 they were pushing the season longer. November can be quite pleasant in Greece and Turkey in November. While weather not a
guarantee I am usually there that time of year and more times then not its around 17-19c Sunny which compared to a November in the UK / Ireland is most
welcome. I have been in Lanzarote at the same period and been rained on for the week. So for anyone wanting a very cheap break and the chance of some
sun its worth it. The UK market has been offering cheap packages for a while now . There are some great 4-5* hotels that slash their rates for this period
many with indoor pools and spas should the weather not play ball. Its a perfect time to visit historical sites too. It just needs a change of mentality. After
the 12 months we have all had Im sure many would jump at the above. If nothing else it has made people realise the value of just getting away.

Just looking at a random Jet2 packages from MAN on 1st November 4* All Inclusive for a week can be had for GBP446pp. You would be hard pushed to get
3 nights in Ireland for that. If Aer Lingus decides to push out some of the Greece and Turkey flights to mid November and market them with some of the Irish
tour operators I think they may find it works. The current estimate is that most Irish will only be fully vaccinated by October so plenty will be dying to get away
somewhere. Of course this subject to the C-19 situation but we have to try get going again somehow. There will be only so much capacity in the Canaries and
prices wont be cheap either.

OA260

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 am

Some welcome news for SNN on the aviation front. 80 jobs to be created .

Shannon aviation firm to add 80 jobs
The aviation company currently employs 40 people at its Shannon office

www.irishexaminer.com/business/companie ... 72146.html

--

Looking at the schedules still nothing loaded for ET to restart DUB-ADD. It was hoped they may return in November but speaking with a friend of mine who works closely with them in the UK it seems it will be next year before they return. At least they still seem to have DUB on the reintroduction list.

--

Aegean are still starting DUB-ATH in June and are putting their new product on the route. A two class cabin will be introduced and is now on sale. Having flown that product myself just before lock down last year its great to see that on the DUB route with the NEO.

Eagleboy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Info circulating among EI staff that March 2022 will see a resumption of 2019 level TATL schedule.
Aug/Sept will see some routes restarting to complement the current level of operation.
So max 3 daily departures flights in May, up to 5 in August, up to 7 in Sept, 8/9 in October etc.
Now additions planned for Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb.

BrianDromey

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
Info circulating among EI staff that March 2022 will see a resumption of 2019 level TATL schedule.
Aug/Sept will see some routes restarting to complement the current level of operation.
So max 3 daily departures flights in May, up to 5 in August, up to 7 in Sept, 8/9 in October etc.
Now additions planned for Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb.

That’s very encouraging, I wonder if that includes the MAN operation? What’s the fleet situation like compared to 2019?
I think there will be 4 additional A321LR/757s, the 332s will have left but 2/3 A333s would have joined including the ex QR frame?

dangerhere

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

OA260 wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
OA260 wrote:

For a few years pre C-19 they were pushing the season longer. November can be quite pleasant in Greece and Turkey in November. While weather not a
guarantee I am usually there that time of year and more times then not its around 17-19c Sunny which compared to a November in the UK / Ireland is most
welcome. I have been in Lanzarote at the same period and been rained on for the week. So for anyone wanting a very cheap break and the chance of some
sun its worth it. The UK market has been offering cheap packages for a while now . There are some great 4-5* hotels that slash their rates for this period
many with indoor pools and spas should the weather not play ball. Its a perfect time to visit historical sites too. It just needs a change of mentality. After
the 12 months we have all had Im sure many would jump at the above. If nothing else it has made people realise the value of just getting away.

Just looking at a random Jet2 packages from MAN on 1st November 4* All Inclusive for a week can be had for GBP446pp. You would be hard pushed to get
3 nights in Ireland for that. If Aer Lingus decides to push out some of the Greece and Turkey flights to mid November and market them with some of the Irish
tour operators I think they may find it works. The current estimate is that most Irish will only be fully vaccinated by October so plenty will be dying to get away
somewhere. Of course this subject to the C-19 situation but we have to try get going again somehow. There will be only so much capacity in the Canaries and
prices wont be cheap either.

Can second this, have been to Crete in December and we got gently sunburned all but one day over a long weekend.

AirbusA343

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 pm

TK sent in a 777-300ER today on the TK1977/1978 service, ultra rare if not flat out unprecedented. I was lucky enough to see it from my window!

OA260

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:13 pm

Interesting comments from Dalton Phillips and Pat McCann about Sept / Oct travel and it will be driven by corporate .

Mr Philips said pre-pandemic, daa had 48 airlines servicing Dublin airport at this time of the year, and that currently stands at 42, "so that is encouraging".
But he said he is worried that the airport is starting to see those airlines consolidating their planned capacity for later in the year.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0422/1211 ... ne-impact/

JAmie2k9

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm

Not sure if its already covered but TAP will fly x3 daily (4 days per week) ex DUB operated by E190. Overall x16 weekly and subject to change. Nice to see TAP start overnighting.

05.40, 10.40, 19.30 ex DUB
07.05, 16.00, 20.10 ex LIS

OA260

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 am

Management at Dublin Airport asked the IDA to make a planning submission on runway restrictions, saying the support of the investment agency would be “absolutely crucial” to the facility’s cause.

DAA asked IDA to make planning submission on runway restrictions
IDA later submitted observations on plan to Fingal County Council

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.4544844

---

Looking at the schedules it seems EL AL have further suspended their DUB-TLV flight until November.

Egyptair have now removed from sale the DUB-CAI route totally.

AirbusA343

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:33 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
TK sent in a 777-300ER today on the TK1977/1978 service, ultra rare if not flat out unprecedented. I was lucky enough to see it from my window!

TK is also going to operate a 77W tomorrow, on Monday and on Tuesday, which is great to see. After that, they will operate 4x weekly A333s. I would guess that these 777 upgrades are due to them reducing frequency, meaning that they'd need to use 777s to accommodate those whose flights have been cancelled. I never thought we'd see their 777s operating passenger flights to Dublin. We've had all of their current aircraft except their A350, hopefully one day we get that too ;)

TUGMASTER

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Are they Pax flights...?
Or just full of freight..?

AirbusA343

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Are they Pax flights...?
Or just full of freight..?

They're all pax flights, either TK1975/1976 or TK1977/1978.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 pm

They are pax flights, but they carry only very small numbers of pax; the use of the 77W is determined pretty much completely by cargo demand.

Surprised to see EL AL pushing their flights back; once we are allowed to travel again, Israel might be one of a few countries outside the EU to which we can travel (as they will be from the UK). I thought they'd do very well on the route, as a winter sun destination.

Hopefully MS will look again at DUB.

OA260

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:40 am

Probably makes sense until these countries are eventually removed from the list.

Ryanair to pull routes affected by mandatory quarantine rules

Ryanair is set to pull its routes from Rome, Paris, Brussels and Vienna and other routes which become subject to the Government’s mandatory hotel quarantine regulations.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/ryanair-t ... 52758.html

Aviation sector faces 'beautiful fight' in Covid recovery

One of Ireland's most famed pilots of his day fell from the sky this month 80 years ago, defending the Greek capital Athens from a German Luftwaffe onslaught. William 'Timber’ Woods DFC from Carrickmacross was in battle in the air over Athens on 20 April 1941.

www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/20 ... s-ireland/

Some hints in the last few days that the wage subsidy scheme will be extended over the Summer months.
For the aviation and tourist sectors this will be needed until at least the end of the year.

OA260

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 am

Iberia has announced a codeshare deal with Aer Lingus on the DUB-MAD-DUB. EI will put its code on IB flights
and IB will put its codes on Aer Lingus flights. Reminds me of the old OW days. Great to see anyway and flights
are on sale already.

--

Looking at schedules Westjet have suspended DUB-YHZ for the remainder of this year. YYC still down to operate
from 8/7 but I suspect this will be pushed out.

Eirules

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 am

OA260 wrote:
Iberia has announced a codeshare deal with Aer Lingus on the DUB-MAD-DUB. EI will put its code on IB flights
and IB will put its codes on Aer Lingus flights. Reminds me of the old OW days. Great to see anyway and flights
are on sale already.

It’d make sense to have EI operate the early morning flight to MAD and IB do the afternoon one, connect to both airlines long haul networks

OA260

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 am

Eirules wrote:
OA260 wrote:
are on sale already.

It’d make sense to have EI operate the early morning flight to MAD and IB do the afternoon one, connect to both airlines long haul networks

Well looking at August on a MON THUR SUN its 0610 EI then 1110 IB and 1850 IB.Good that the EI flight now operates into the Iberia terminal also.
Most other days are twice daily 0610 EI and 1850 IB.

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Vueling returning to Belfast City resuming x2 weekly BCN from July 1.

When Ryanair returned to City they added BCN and this increases from 3 to 5 weekly from July 1.

OA260

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Looking at the Aer Lingus schedules a number of UK services have been further suspended . DUB - LHR / LGW / MAN / BHX . ORK - LHR , NOC - LGW . Also
BHD - LHR many until end of June.

goldcrest

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:46 pm

LGW DUB still bookable on the App from May 24th....

OA260

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 am

Calls For Aer Lingus To Outline Future Plans For Shannon

Aer Lingus is being called on to express a commitment to Shannon Airport, amid fears over the airline’s medium-term future there.

www.clare.fm/news/aviation/calls-aer-li ... s-shannon/

Indeed what next for SNN. While DUB and ORK will slowly restart SNN may find it hard to get its Aer Lingus routes back as quickly .

BrianDromey

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 am

OA260 wrote:
Calls For Aer Lingus To Outline Future Plans For Shannon

Aer Lingus is being called on to express a commitment to Shannon Airport, amid fears over the airline’s medium-term future there.

http://www.clare.fm/news/aviation/calls ... s-shannon/

Indeed what next for SNN. While DUB and ORK will slowly restart SNN may find it hard to get its Aer Lingus routes back as quickly .

I think it will be hard even for Cork to get many of the routes back before summer 2022. The closure of the runway at what could well be peak travel for 2021 will impact the airport heavily. It is good to see both AF and KL back so early and EI seem to keep routes on sale in line with Dublin, but its going to be a difficult climb back for the whole country. At last there does seem to be some progress at a European level, with the Commission President talking about travel to the EU from the USA this summer, which would be very good for Ireland and the EI hub operation at Dublin, assuming the US grants reciprocal entry to EU citizens and residents. The UK-US requirements will be ones to keep an eye on too, for the EIR network and the MAN operation.

OA260

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Im sure this will be an interesting yet sobering read .

DAA’s annual report to be brought before Cabinet ahead of expected major losses
Passengers at Dublin Airport declined by 78% to almost 7.4 million in 2020

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... 1?mode=amp

Some sad news one of Ireland's oldest Tour Operators has gone bust .

One of Ireland's oldest, largest and best-known travel agents and tour operators, Joe Walsh Tours, has closed down.

www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/1212375-joe-walsh-tours/
Last edited by OA260 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OA260

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:17 pm

goldcrest wrote:
LGW DUB still bookable on the App from May 24th....

All showing canceled in App now

BrianDromey

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pm

OA260 wrote:

One of Ireland's oldest, largest and best-known travel agents and tour operators, Joe Walsh Tours, has closed down.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/121237 ... lsh-tours/

Very sad news indeed and the first big casualty of the COVID pandemic in Ireland. Was Joe Walsh Tours separated from JWT before it was bought by Falcon Holidays, which in turn was bought by First Choice?

OA260

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:51 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/121237 ... lsh-tours/

Very sad news indeed and the first big casualty of the COVID pandemic in Ireland. Was Joe Walsh Tours separated from JWT before it was bought by Falcon Holidays, which in turn was bought by First Choice?

JWT holidays went to Falcon and both brands ran until they were all taken over IIRC. Joe Walsh Tours bought over Concorde Travel which were famous in the 80's for Yugotours and in the 90's even chartered JAT Airways for DUB-TIV flights.

Rumours today about a 25% reduction at Aer Lingus which would be around 875 job losses if we loose this Summer.

bx737

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 pm

I thought Falcon bought the sun holidays part of JWT. The pilgrimage division of JWT was kept by Joe Walsh and this operated as JWT

OA260

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:21 pm

bx737 wrote:
I thought Falcon bought the sun holidays part of JWT. The pilgrimage division of JWT was kept by Joe Walsh and this operated as JWT

They did but they kept it as a stand alone brand with its own brochure . It was Falcon / JWT . They had a large Falcon brochure and a thinner JWT Holidays one. There were two JWT’s . The one bought by Falcon and the one as you mention above kept by Joe Walsh. Different logos though .

This was the JWT brochure that Falcon produced :

I actually flew on a package with them on a chartered Transaer flight.

When you look back 20 years its unrecognisable now the Irish holiday market when you had brands like Budget Travel , Panorama , Sunworld. All the different airlines they used to charter in like Onur Air , Nouvelle Air , Air 2000, Britannia and Monarch . The dreadful Spanair flights too.

dstc47

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:35 am

Sad to see a memory such as JWT go.

Of course like many major or dominating brands they had been in steady decline for very many years. I would guess that many now in the vaccination queue started flying with JWT, perhaps to Lourdes and San Sebastian the first year, just to the Spanish Costa the second year. An Aer Lingus Viscount, at an inconvenient, out of hours timing, to maximise EI fleet utilisation. Very little left of the tour operator market now, following the charter carriers into memory.

iRISH251

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:38 am

I think JWT brought in MEA Comets for Rome flights back in the 1960s too!

OA260

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 am

Not a real surprise but a milestone nonetheless

Irish Aviation Authority records first ever pre-tax loss as Covid grounds air traffic

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) last year recorded its first ever pre-tax loss, arising from the collapse in international air traffic brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

According to the newly-published 2020 IAA annual report, the IAA recorded a pre-tax loss of €164,000 following a pre-tax profit of €32.86 million in 2019 — a negative swing of €33.1 million.

www.breakingnews.ie/business/irish-avia ... 18927.html

The daa will issue its financial report today but of course there will be no surprises there either.

Was great to see the Ilyushin IL-76TD-90VD at DUB although shame about the circumstances.

OA260

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am

Press release from the daa on financial losses can be found here :

daa Records €284m Loss Due To Impact Of COVID-19 On Travel

daa, which operates Dublin and Cork airports and has businesses in 15 overseas markets, recorded a loss of €284 million last year due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Passenger numbers at its two Irish airports fell by 78% to just 7.9 million in 2020, compared to 35.5 million in 2019. Almost all of the airport retail outlets that daa operates in Ireland and overseas were closed for extended periods during the year.

http://www.daa.ie/daa-records-e284m-los ... on-travel/

And a copy of the annual report can be found here :

https://issuu.com/daapublishing/docs/da ... jM1NzE2MDY

bx737

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:21 pm

OA260 wrote:
bx737 wrote:

They did but they kept it as a stand alone brand with its own brochure . It was Falcon / JWT . They had a large Falcon brochure and a thinner JWT Holidays one. There were two JWT’s . The one bought by Falcon and the one as you mention above kept by Joe Walsh. Different logos though .

This was the JWT brochure that Falcon produced :

I actually flew on a package with them on a chartered Transaer flight.

When you look back 20 years its unrecognisable now the Irish holiday market when you had brands like Budget Travel , Panorama , Sunworld. All the different airlines they used to charter in like Onur Air , Nouvelle Air , Air 2000, Britannia and Monarch . The dreadful Spanair flights too.

Thank you for the info OA260. Falcon tended to use Translift/TransAer and Budget used Futura (and other foreign airlines in the past). In fact when Budget was taken over by Icelandic interests, they started using Primera. It was one of the reasons cited in the closure of Futura.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos