Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation April 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Happy April 1st TK Aviation fans,
Spring is in the air, there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

I hope everyone is safe and doing better than last year this time.
I for one, have been really lucky to get back to some sort of normalcy. I took couple of flights, were able to visit the cockpit on both flights, both 777s. When our UA flight got upgraded from 767-400 to 77W I was super excited to experience the Polaris product. And boy, I was very happy at the end. What a great Business Class layout. Everything I hate about the TK 787 J product does not exist on the UA 77W J product. I just could not stop raving about the seat and the service. When I visited the cockpit, pilots were extremely nice. Captain asked me to sit in the left seat so he can take my photo. I did and I was happy as a 5 yrs old kid :)
I was able to enjoy the sunny beaches while NY was going through a snow storm. I felt like a human being again. I just did not realize how much; “traveling”, is a big part of my being.
And yes, it helps that I got both doses of the vaccine.
That led to buying more tickets, planning more vacations. I made arrangements for this year, for next year, for 2023 and seriously thinking about a booking things in 2024 !!
Can’t wait to fly the dreaded TK 787 J cabin in the coming weeks :)

OK, enough of me.

Here are some other topics to discuss:
-Last months thread ended with a post about a possible IST-YVR start in May. I also think EWR is looking open to book for June. Any thoughts?
-After a long wait, TK MAX fleet might take it to the air in April
-TK started to offer hot meals over 2 hour flights again.
-5th 350 to join TK fleet in April?

Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor. No Politics, No personal attacks.
Thank you and Welcome.
You can find last months thread here: Turkish Aviation March 2021

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks for the new thread . Do we know what routes the MAX will likely start to operate on yet ?

I read that from Mid April IATA are launching a App and that TK have had some input in it . Will be interesting to see if it proves a success.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 pm

IIRC, TK to start with only 2 frames in April, all domestic. I am not sure, in the coming months; if they will separate the MAX vs. NEO routes. Maybe someone else can chime in.

leftcoast8

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:33 pm

Honestly I doubt YVR will ever happen. Vancouver is a fickle, low-yielding market that was already saturated with subsidized Chinese carriers competing with the Euro/Asian legacies.

It seems more likely, once the aviation market recovers, that Turkish will increase frequencies to YYZ and YUL instead (leveraging their partnership with AC). SEA would be a decent option as well.

I've heard good things about TK's Y product and have always wanted to see the new Istanbul airport. The airline has great connections to ADD, TLV and DXB.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
Honestly I doubt YVR will ever happen. Vancouver is a fickle, low-yielding market that was already saturated with subsidized Chinese carriers competing with the Euro/Asian legacies.

It seems more likely, once the aviation market recovers, that Turkish will increase frequencies to YYZ and YUL instead (leveraging their partnership with AC). SEA would be a decent option as well.

I've heard good things about TK's Y product and have always wanted to see the new Istanbul airport. The airline has great connections to ADD, TLV and DXB.

From what I know from here at a.net over the years, Canada is very very reluctant to allocate any more frequencies to TK. It took years of negotiations to get YVR slots, IIRC, not even daily. So, YVR will happen, probably SEA will happen also. In terms of Vancouver being a low yield market... TK flies to many other places like that and makes it work because of its single mega hub at IST.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:24 am

From TK's front page about requierments to enter Turkey:

"As of December 30, 2020, passengers arriving in Turkey are required to submit a negative PCR test (nucleic acid). The sample for the test must have been taken within 72 hours prior to the passenger's scheduled departure from the country of origin. This applies to all passengers aged 6 years and over, except sailors and transit passengers. The PCR test application will continue until April 14, 2021."

Anyone has info about why April 14th?

MoonC

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks for this new thread in the monthly editions of Turkish Aviation!

The first A330-300 of MNG Airlines Cargo, TC-MCM, is in Dresden for P2F conversion.

https://www.elbeflugzeugwerke.com/en/our-company/news/detail/mng-airlines-invests-in-next-generation-freighter-a330p2f-by-efw-81/

A second A330-300, future reg. TC-MCN, will also be converted in 2022.

TKflyer

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:56 pm

MoonC wrote:
Thanks for this new thread in the monthly editions of Turkish Aviation!

The first A330-300 of MNG Airlines Cargo, TC-MCM, is in Dresden for P2F conversion.

https://www.elbeflugzeugwerke.com/en/our-company/news/detail/mng-airlines-invests-in-next-generation-freighter-a330p2f-by-efw-81/

A second A330-300, future reg. TC-MCN, will also be converted in 2022.

Thank you for the Post you can see this also in the last thread: Turkish Aviation March 2021 Post #41

MNG Cargo Airlines has getting an Airbus A330–343. The TC–MCM (Right, the new Reg) msn 879, ex F–WWKG, B–6086 China Southern Airlines, VQ–BSO leased from BOC Aviation, was used on 13/04/2021 as MNB631 on her First Cargo–Flight to Leipzig (LEJ) and back MNB632. It was supposed that it will be later converted in Dresden (DRS) to P2F.

Also a second is expected (TC–MCN), but no further information yet. Maybe msn 889 ex B–6087(??)

https://www.goklerdeyiz.net/mng-kargo-i ... a-katacak/

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

I remember in one of these threads we were talking about TK A310 Cargo conversions at Dresden, years ago. They spent so much money and time to go through that and IIRC, they used them only for few years :(

YYJTurkman

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:06 pm

TK787 wrote:

"As of December 30, 2020, passengers arriving in Turkey are required to submit a negative PCR test (nucleic acid). The sample for the test must have been taken within 72 hours prior to the passenger's scheduled departure from the country of origin. This applies to all passengers aged 6 years and over, except sailors and transit passengers. The PCR test application will continue until April 14, 2021."

Almost sounds like April fools joke. And I hope that's not the case.
This will save me $315 CDN (Yes, that's how much it costs to get a PCR test where I live)

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 pm

YYJTurkman wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Almost sounds like April fools joke. And I hope that's not the case.
This will save me $315 CDN (Yes, that's how much it costs to get a PCR test where I live)

I think I posted this before.... a family I know visited NYC for a few days back in January. In that short time they could not get a PCR test done to fly back to Istanbul. They got the rapid test in the city and went to JFK. TK did not accept their rapid test and made them take a PCR test at the airport that is run by a private company. Very expensive. Here is the link to that service: https://adamshealthservices.com

TK773ER

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Here is the current flight plan for TK until end of April https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/a ... index.html

Blerg

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 am

TK773ER wrote:
Here is the current flight plan for TK until end of April https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/a ... index.html

Strange, some like BEG have not been upgraded. Says 9 flights until the end of March. I see 10 weekly in the system for April plus the daily code-share on JU.

mafaky

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:32 pm

TK787 wrote:
I remember in one of these threads we were talking about TK A310 Cargo conversions at Dresden, years ago. They spent so much money and time to go through that and IIRC, they used them only for few years :(

1) I wonder if TK will be interested in P2F conversions for a couple of Boeing 77W and or Airbus 333s in the current fleet. Not only these frames are getting older as years pass by, but they are becoming less feasible for pax & belly cargo ops., in the presence of never generation 789s & 359s. This assumes as when there will be 15 frames each from 789 & 359 in the fleet...
2) Next, I wonder if the rumored 332 tanker conversions will be materialised for TUAF.
3) I also wonder if TK will soon get rid of the three ex-Wow 333s on dry-lease (operational lease) and also convert a few existing 333 frames to all-economy cabins for future Hadj & Umrah ops.
4) Anyone having a solid idea as when and how (i.e. with which aircraft) the Australian ops. may start? (It goes without saying, once the Covid-19 pandemic totally flattens/gets lost...)
5) It's inevitable that a single 333 (TC-JOM) leased from Afriqiyah and the 3 (three) ex-Kenyan leased 77Ws will be returned. But TK will still have a 30-strong 77W fleet (with 12 of them started aging in these years, anyway) and a 29-strong 333 fleet. Some of these can be converted cargo planes after a P2F conversion, some of them can convert for economy class only cabins for Hadj/Umrah/Charter ops. Some 77W can even be re-converted into 28C372Y cabins like the ex-Kenyans dedicated to ops. with higher economy capacity (but still retaining the 3-3-3 setup: the 3-4-3 setups in 77Ws is indeed dreadful!!!) What may be TK's strategies?
6) Finally, I also wonder the future of TK's 7(seven) leased 333s (the ex-Skymark birds) which have a dense cabin suited for medium range regional flights (Europe, up to mid-Africa, Middle east and even Pakistan and Bengladesh). Will these be prematurely returned to the lessor? Note that two of the ex-Wow birds leased (mentioned above) are also from this ex-Skymark fleet but should have have accumulated more flight hours & cycles than TK's leased ex-Skymark birds...
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm

4) I have no solid ideas :) But, first thing first... Can TK fly IST-SYD with either 789 or 359 nonstop both ways?? Is this possible with the current seat layout?
If TK has to take a payload penalty also, either pax/cargo or both, it makes it even less viable, not?? We are talking about a 18 hour or so flights with 3 meal services and two sets of crews. And how many frames needed to make this work daily??
An easier option would be to fly to Perth and call it good, with the current equipment at hand.

Delta777Jet

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:38 pm

I just flew BER-IST-AYT (A321NEO) and AYT-IST-BER (333/738) on TK.

While the first leg was in C-CL and I have to say it was oustanding I was shocked on the domestic lounge offering at IST! Only water , juice and coffee. I didn’t know there you can catch Covid from a can of beer or coke !
Also on the way back in the international smiles and miles gold Lounge only a Limited Food offering and no alcohol.
It’s like flying a dry airline (i.e. SV/MS) , wondering if it’s coming back to them ! So lounge experience was mediocre !

On the domestic legs they only offer packed water ! Once again just a way of saving money , has nothing to do with Covid !

Then they only offer Turkish movies on domestic flights ? Why is that ? Because as soon as you entering a domestic aircraft you speak Turkish? Pretty odd and bad for international connecting passengers.

On the economy leg IST-BER was a full meal service with drinks ( no alcohol , again a cost saving thing I’ll guess ). Everyone was eating at the same time and not wearing masks , so I don‘t really understand their idea of Covid rules.

I myself are vaccinated ( Pfizer ) so I am not scared of catching Covid 19 anyways.

But a big thumbs up for the crew. On all flights motivated , friends and English speaking ( had other experiences with TK before ).
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
I just flew BER-IST-AYT (A321NEO) and AYT-IST-BER (333/738) on TK.

Thanks for sharing.
It is a mixed bag as usual :(
IIRC, TK does not offer beer or alcoholic beverages at Domestic Lounges. Again, TK doesn't serve them on Domestic Economy class, limited alcoholic beverages if you Fly Business.
But that giant lounge at IST for their Business pax with limited options???
Very inconsistent thinking to serve meals to a full Economy cabin while pax with no masks :(

Blerg

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 pm

According to BEG's seasonal timetable, TK has applied to introduce three weekly BJV-BEG starting from 01.07.2021.
Flights are scheduled to operate three times per week. This comes days after they applied to operate 4 weekly AYT-BEG.
Both are supposed to be operated by Anadoloujet.

Remains to be seen if they get the permit.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:04 pm

British Invasion 2021 according to https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... cacak.html (Turkish only)
Here is a list of what airline is flying from the UK to Turkey this summer. No info about the frequencies, but I'd imagine low weekly for many.

TUI-Dalaman: Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Bristol, Doncester, East-Midlands, Edinburg, Exeter, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich.

TUI-İzmir: Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham,

TUI-Bodrum: Gatwick, Birmingham, Doncester, Manchester.

TUI-Antalya: Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Belfast, Manchester, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncester, Glasgow, Newcastle.

EasyJet – Dalaman: Edinburg, Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Gatwick, Luton.

EasyJet – Bodrum: Edinburg, Bristol, Gatwick, Liverpool, Luton.

EasyJet – Antalya: Glasgow, Manchester, Luton, Liverpool, Gatwick, Bristol

Corendon – Dalaman: Gatwick, Manchester

Corendon – Antalya: Gatwick, Manchester

Ryanair – Bodrum: Dublin.

Ryanair Dalaman: Dublin

Aerlingus – İzmir: Dublin

Pegasus – İzmir: Stansted

Pegasus – Dalaman: Manchester, Stansted.

Pegasus – Antalya: Manchester, Stansted

THY – Dalaman: Manchester, Birmingham, Gatwick, Stansted

THY – Antalya: Manchester, Gatwick, Birmingham, Stansted.

THY – Bodrum: Stansted

British Airways – Antalya: Gatwick

British Airways – Dalaman: Heathrow, Gatwick.

British Airways – Bodrum: Heathrow.

Jet2 – İzmir: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle, Stansted.

Jet2- Bodrum: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle.

Jet2 – Dalaman: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle, Belfast.

Jet2 – Antalya: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle, Belfast.

Wizz Air – Dalaman: Luton, Doncester.

SunExpress – Antalya: Luton, Manchester, Gatwick.

SunExpress – İzmir: Luton

OA260

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:36 pm

TK787 wrote:
British Invasion 2021 according to https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... cacak.html (Turkish only)
Here is a list of what airline is flying from the UK to Turkey this summer. No info about the frequencies, but I'd imagine low weekly for many.

TUI-Dalaman: Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Bristol, Doncester, East-Midlands, Edinburg, Exeter, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich.

TUI-Antalya: Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Belfast, Manchester, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncester, Glasgow, Newcastle.

EasyJet – Dalaman: Edinburg, Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Gatwick, Luton.

Jet2 – İzmir: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle, Stansted.

Jet2- Bodrum: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle.

Jet2 – Dalaman: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle, Belfast.

Jet2 – Antalya: Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburg, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle, Belfast.

A lot of that subject to change of course the UK are still advising its citizens not to book holidays this Summer yet. It will also depend on figures via a traffic light system. I see they have put the DUB flights in that list also which of course is not British ;) Travel restrictions will be even tougher out of Ireland this Summer so again those flights may not operate .

LAXintl

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 am

TK will have its traffic rights suspended again in China for importing 14 COVID positive passengers in March to Guangzhou. Ban is supposed to commence April 19 and last 4-weeks.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Blerg

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:17 am

TK787 wrote:

The other day certain media portals reported that British minister of health said that Brits should not be too optimistic about going on holidays this year. The government fears that they might bring back with them new strains of covid into the country.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:40 am

LAXintl wrote:
TK will have its traffic rights suspended again in China for importing 14 COVID positive passengers in March to Guangzhou. Ban is supposed to commence April 19 and last 4-weeks.

Not familiar with the protocol on Turkey-China flights. I imagine mandatory PCR tests. So, why it keeps happening and what is going to change in a month?

emre787

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 am

LAXintl wrote:

Well, IST-CAN flights have only been 1 weekly, so that isn't going to have a big impact on TK... PVG and PEK haven't resumed since the pandemic began too, I would really like to know the reason behind it because other carriers have already resumed regular pax flights to those destinations (even though the entry is still highly regulated)

mafaky

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 am

LAXintl wrote:

I think TK is still flying to HKG, though maybe not 5x weekly... (HKG is still considered to be part of "China/PRC" bcz. the 5x weekly has been considered within the agreed bilaterals which is 26x weekly except for X'ian...) But, I also wonder why TK has never started with PEK and/or PVG since the beginning days of the pandemic. The only explanation that I can give for them to fly to CAN is that it's pretty near to Shenzhen (esp. with HSR) and Turkish traders have big business with China electronics which is pretty much focused on Shenzhen & Guangzhou... Though a single weekly frequency for CAN also looked pretty much questionable, why not 3x or 4x?
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

LAXintl

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm

China frequencies are reduced as a result of CAAC (Civil Aviation Administration of China) action last year to allow airlines to maintain only one route to China with no more than one weekly frequency.

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/topics ... 2623.shtml

This limit was relaxed later in the year for many, but all nations serving China can only serve a fraction of their previous network and frequencies during the COVID period as China seeks to maintain strong border controls to limit import of cases.

Also as a reference, the Hong Kong air-service bilateral is separate from China, and not a joint agreement.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OTTOMANAIR

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:21 pm

AnadoluJet to launch the following routes starting in July.

DLM - AMS (2x a week)
AYT - AMS (3x a week)
BJV - AMS (2x a week)

debonair

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 pm

Sorry, my Turkish is not the best... ONUR AIR send off all employees on unpaid leave, right?! Is this also effecting their Bulgarian spin-off HOLIDAY EUROPE?!

https://airporthaber.com/onur-air-haber ... rildi.html

YYJTurkman

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:03 am

TK787 wrote:

That last sentence "The PCR test application will continue until April 14, 2021" now removed from TK website!

A330Inter

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:43 am

debonair wrote:
Sorry, my Turkish is not the best... ONUR AIR send off all employees on unpaid leave, right?! Is this also effecting their Bulgarian spin-off HOLIDAY EUROPE?!

https://airporthaber.com/onur-air-haber ... rildi.html

Can't compete with Turkish Airlines with just a handful of A321, their business model worked well with leasing out A330s to Saudia for Hajj/Omrah operations but last 12 months have been disastrous for them....
A few year ago I would have seen Onur and Atlasjet merging forces in IST, instead they competed with each other!

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Just to remind everyone that today is the 2nd year of full operations at IST.
I wonder if this is the official day ?

OA260

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Turkey's airports serve nearly 18M passengers in Q1

The number of air passengers in Turkey – including transit passengers – hit 17.68 million in the first quarter of 2021, the country's airport authority announced Wednesday.

The figure was around 33.6 million in the same period last year, the General Directorate of the State Airports Authority (DHMI) data showed.

www.dailysabah.com/business/transportat ... -in-q1/amp

Blerg

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 am

Switzerland adds Turkey to the red list requiring a two week quarantine upon arrival. Anyone know what scheduled flights are operating right now between the two countries?

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/kr ... liste.html

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:30 pm

I don't know what Turkey is waiting for....... some miracle?
Nightly curfews and weekend curfews are not going to cut it.
They have limited vaccinations and the number of new cases are almost 5 fold in the last month. Which doesn't mean anything but this does; 1 out of 5 tests is coming out positive :(
We might see a total shutdown soon which will affect most of air travel.

Blerg

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 pm

TK787 wrote:
They have limited vaccinations and the number of new cases are almost 5 fold in the last month. Which doesn't mean anything but this does; 1 out of 5 tests is coming out positive :(

I think a huge problem is that this is happening so close to the summer season. If we were in January or February it would be ok as there would be time to recover and prepare. I think until many are vaccinated things won't improve. In Serbia things were getting out of control until we hit 37% vaccinated. Now numbers have been steadily declining for a while.

ctf12

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:15 pm

TK787 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:

From what I know from here at a.net over the years, Canada is very very reluctant to allocate any more frequencies to TK. It took years of negotiations to get YVR slots, IIRC, not even daily. So, YVR will happen, probably SEA will happen also. In terms of Vancouver being a low yield market... TK flies to many other places like that and makes it work because of its single mega hub at IST.

Radio ads have started in YVR promoting the service and Inaugural Flight on May 2nd.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:31 pm

-It is not realistic to compare vaccinations rates of Turkey to Serbia, Malta, San Marino, UAE, Israel even UK....
Population is bigger, area is larger but the main problem is "Vaccine Availability". USA is populous country and larger but USA do produce the vaccines. Turkey is reliant on outside sources. And when you need 160 Million doses to vaccinate your population; like Turkey, it is really hard to obtain them in a competitive market place. Producer countries would like to vaccinate their own first, understandably. Smaller countries might get enough doses, but bigger countries are going to take longer to vaccinate.

-Thank you about YVR radio ads, (fingers crossed)

ozzietukker

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 pm

TK787 wrote:

The night and especially weekend curfews are not working anymore as people just go outside. And quite a few shops and restaurants as well which are supposed to be closed are open if you look closely. And while there is police on the streets, they are not able to do anything as there are just so many people out.
While I can go outside in curfew hours, I do look Turkish, I have however in the last few months only been stopped once, and just because I was carrying a big and heavy backpack which at that specific location was a concern.

The only thing they are able to archieve that on the roads, especially outside the city it is indeed not so busy in the weekends with curfew, as big shopping malls are closed so they do not attract the people going there.

TK773ER

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am

Turkish Airlines 787-9 TC-LLP was moved from the flightline to the 45-12 for rework. http://www.paineairport.com/kpae19192w.htm Did this frame have issues that previous 787's for TK didn't?

TK773ER

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 am

Long awaited on again off again Turkish Airlines plans to launch thrice-weekly, direct flights between Istanbul and Vancouver starting May 2.
Here is the link lets see if it happens.https://biv.com/article/2021/04/turkish ... ghts-may-2

Blerg

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 am

TK787 wrote:
-It is not realistic to compare vaccinations rates of Turkey to Serbia, Malta, San Marino, UAE, Israel even UK....
Population is bigger, area is larger but the main problem is "Vaccine Availability". USA is populous country and larger but USA do produce the vaccines. Turkey is reliant on outside sources. And when you need 160 Million doses to vaccinate your population; like Turkey, it is really hard to obtain them in a competitive market place. Producer countries would like to vaccinate their own first, understandably. Smaller countries might get enough doses, but bigger countries are going to take longer to vaccinate.

Smaller countries are less relevant on the international political scene. Countries such as Turkey should, at least in theory, have some diplomatic weight in securing their dosages. So the size of the country is very much relevant to the number of vaccines they get. To me this lack of vaccines is above all collapse of Turkish diplomacy and its reputation abroad. A country that relies so heavily on tourism shouldn't allow itself to be in this position today. Like I said, we are already in mid-April, time is running out.

artflyer

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 am

Blerg wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Smaller countries are less relevant on the international political scene. Countries such as Turkey should, at least in theory, have some diplomatic weight in securing their dosages. So the size of the country is very much relevant to the number of vaccines they get. To me this lack of vaccines is above all collapse of Turkish diplomacy and its reputation abroad. A country that relies so heavily on tourism shouldn't allow itself to be in this position today. Like I said, we are already in mid-April, time is running out.

I think it is too harsh for Turkey. The race is only starting, but as of 7 April % of population that received at least one dose of vaccine looks as follows: Turkey 12.28%, Greece 12.6%, Spain 13.72%, Croatia 10.54%, Italy 13.72%. To compare: Germany 12.88% (as of 6 April), UK 46.71%, US 32.89% (all data from ourworldindata.org).

Pfizer et consortes do not care about politics. It is about: i) how much a specific country wants to pay for a dose, ii) how much a specific country spends subsidising prices of other drugs sold by a given vaccine producer, iii) how big is a drugs market overall in a specific country and what are the prices overall at that market, iv) how much and on what terms was contributed to R&D of a vaccine. Sorry for this OT.

emre787

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 am

TK773ER wrote:
Turkish Airlines 787-9 TC-LLP was moved from the flightline to the 45-12 for rework. http://www.paineairport.com/kpae19192w.htm Did this frame have issues that previous 787's for TK didn't?

No issues to worry about. An internal source told me that LLP is getting checked after defects because it was stored for such a long time (on ground since 9th Oct 2020). I think she'll be delivered soon especially because TK is using the 787 a lot in the current situation and the type is for example needed for Vancouver too (ofc they have many other planes sitting around ready for use but the efficiency is needed)

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm

TK's 737MAX doing a test flight around the Marmara Sea:
https://tolgaozbek.com/uncategorized/th ... test-etti/

Ammad

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Turkish Airlines Istanbul - Newark flights will begin on May 21!
Istanbul – Newark flights will start on May 21, 2021!

Ammad

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:37 pm

ctf12 wrote:
TK787 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:

Radio ads have started in YVR promoting the service and Inaugural Flight on May 2nd.

Radio ads meaning, May 2nd is a confirm date.

ctf12

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Ammad wrote:
ctf12 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Radio ads meaning, May 2nd is a confirm date.

Confirmed by the Turkish Consul General in Vancouver.

https://biv.com/article/2021/04/turkish-airlines-launch-non-stop-istanbul-vancouver-flights-may-2

OA260

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Turkey has this evening been added to Irelands mandatory quarantine list so anyone coming from Turkey or transiting IST will need to pre book 12 nights at a quarantine hotel . This will of course have an impact on TK flights into DUB .

calstanford

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:08 pm

This is what happens when you're (almost) the only country open to all travelers.
Turkey is now full of all variants of Covid from all over the globe and Sinovac is a barely functioning vaccine for those.

I feel sorry for my friends and family back in Turkey who have to suffer for this for another month or so. By then when the tourism season opens Covid will be gone.

OTTOMANAIR

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:34 pm

calstanford wrote:
This is what happens when you're (almost) the only country open to all travelers.
Turkey is now full of all variants of Covid from all over the globe and Sinovac is a barely functioning vaccine for those.

I feel sorry for my friends and family back in Turkey who have to suffer for this for another month or so. By then when the tourism season opens Covid will be gone.

Can you please tell us why the significant booming of covid cases is due to tourists and the Sinovac not working? You’re making baseless claims. Sure, having the borders open during a pandemic is not helping, but it’s not the reason why these covid cases are rising. Nor can you blame Sinovac. So please tell us why you are making these claims.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos