Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
jbs2886
Posts: 3337
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I don't mean to jinx it, but watching the mess unfold at AA right now, and I can't help but think that UA really had the right strategy for the ramp-up out of the pandemic. Not retiring any aircraft in significant quantity and playing it safe with the summer schedule seem to have been the right moves.


AA’s issue is not aircraft, it’s labor. It doesn’t matter at all how many aircraft AA retired and UA didn’t-it’s the people who fly them.

Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.


Fair point that yes training was required because of aircraft retirements but that’s not the underlying issue-the issue is training, not aircraft retirements. AA has the aircraft, it doesn’t have the (trained) people to fly them. Suggesting AA shouldn’t have retired aircraft so they wouldn’t need to re-train people is ridiculous.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 am

jbs2886 wrote:
Fair point that yes training was required because of aircraft retirements but that’s not the underlying issue-the issue is training, not aircraft retirements. AA has the aircraft, it doesn’t have the (trained) people to fly them. Suggesting AA shouldn’t have retired aircraft so they wouldn’t need to re-train people is ridiculous.


It's very much a scheduling thing too. AA said they were basically going to try to get back to full capacity right away, whereas UA has only gradually been building up. Many people on here criticized that decision (myself included to some degree) and thought AA was doing it right, but it looks like AA could be in for a messy few weeks/summer, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case so far for UA.
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:44 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I don't mean to jinx it, but watching the mess unfold at AA right now, and I can't help but think that UA really had the right strategy for the ramp-up out of the pandemic. Not retiring any aircraft in significant quantity and playing it safe with the summer schedule seem to have been the right moves.


AA’s issue is not aircraft, it’s labor. It doesn’t matter at all how many aircraft AA retired and UA didn’t-it’s the people who fly them.

Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.


Correct, having aircraft flexibility for pilots / FA's / gates go hand in hand. If a few types were eliminated, as with AA, UA would be in the same position trying to bring back personnel or retrain on new a/c types.

The real question is how much cash did AA burn vs. DL/UA with this strategy? AA was already in the worst financial shape of the three and seemingly made it worse. Then, the customer service impact.

Back to UA, I wonder what's going on with the Boeing discussions and the PW issues. Not a lot of noise lately. It sure would be nice to have a 20x 78J order in a domestic configuration to replace the 77A's. With all the reshuffling of aircraft orders, how soon could UA get these? In time for summer 2022?

I can't imagine the legal aspects and costs of the PW issue. It's been a long time being grounded + time still to go.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:03 pm

fun2fly wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

AA’s issue is not aircraft, it’s labor. It doesn’t matter at all how many aircraft AA retired and UA didn’t-it’s the people who fly them.

Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.


Correct, having aircraft flexibility for pilots / FA's / gates go hand in hand. If a few types were eliminated, as with AA, UA would be in the same position trying to bring back personnel or retrain on new a/c types.

The real question is how much cash did AA burn vs. DL/UA with this strategy? AA was already in the worst financial shape of the three and seemingly made it worse. Then, the customer service impact.

Back to UA, I wonder what's going on with the Boeing discussions and the PW issues. Not a lot of noise lately. It sure would be nice to have a 20x 78J order in a domestic configuration to replace the 77A's. With all the reshuffling of aircraft orders, how soon could UA get these? In time for summer 2022?

I can't imagine the legal aspects and costs of the PW issue. It's been a long time being grounded + time still to go.



As far as the PW issues go I think the problem really has to do with the 77As those 1995 and 1996 frames nose number 2300 and 2400, I'm starting to feel like those frames are probably done (that is just my personal feeling not based on any rumor or insider information). Based on the most recent town hall where the PW 777 issue was discussed we were told United still expects the 77Es to come back although the return had slipped from sometime in 2021 to now not before 2022. However that NOC town hall took place nearly a month before the media got word of United's negotiations with Boeing and Airbus. At the time United told employees although they were in talks with Boeing over the 777s they (Boeing) assured them they could fix the cowling issue.

Back to my personal beliefs if the 2300 and 2400 series "A" models are done I think UA might just retire the 6 2500 series "A" models as well . Why keep them? Those frames were delivered in 2000 and it is my understanding the fan blades on those 6 frames all passed inspection. This would leave the 4 77Es (1 already covered to HD), I think UA would simply install Polaris/PE and keep those 4 frames in the international fleet. An HD configured 78X can handle all of UA's domestic routes and carry cargo, the longest route United used an HD 77A on was I think ORD-HNL.
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:11 pm

jayunited wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.


Correct, having aircraft flexibility for pilots / FA's / gates go hand in hand. If a few types were eliminated, as with AA, UA would be in the same position trying to bring back personnel or retrain on new a/c types.

The real question is how much cash did AA burn vs. DL/UA with this strategy? AA was already in the worst financial shape of the three and seemingly made it worse. Then, the customer service impact.

Back to UA, I wonder what's going on with the Boeing discussions and the PW issues. Not a lot of noise lately. It sure would be nice to have a 20x 78J order in a domestic configuration to replace the 77A's. With all the reshuffling of aircraft orders, how soon could UA get these? In time for summer 2022?

I can't imagine the legal aspects and costs of the PW issue. It's been a long time being grounded + time still to go.



As far as the PW issues go I think the problem really has to do with the 77As those 1995 and 1996 frames nose number 2300 and 2400, I'm starting to feel like those frames are probably done (that is just my personal feeling not based on any rumor or insider information). Based on the most recent town hall where the PW 777 issue was discussed we were told United still expects the 77Es to come back although the return had slipped from sometime in 2021 to now not before 2022. However that NOC town hall took place nearly a month before the media got word of United's negotiations with Boeing and Airbus. At the time United told employees although they were in talks with Boeing over the 777s they (Boeing) assured them they could fix the cowling issue.

Back to my personal beliefs if the 2300 and 2400 series "A" models are done I think UA might just retire the 6 2500 series "A" models as well . Why keep them? Those frames were delivered in 2000 and it is my understanding the fan blades on those 6 frames all passed inspection. This would leave the 4 77Es (1 already covered to HD), I think UA would simply install Polaris/PE and keep those 4 frames in the international fleet. An HD configured 78X can handle all of UA's domestic routes and carry cargo, the longest route United used an HD 77A on was I think ORD-HNL.

Or, since it would probably take some time to get any new aircraft, why not keep the 6 2500 A's and 4 E's and have a smaller domestic fleet of 10 until new aircraft arrive? I don't know what they do with the 4 after that, but the oldest PW 77E's are from the 90's anyway.
 
airplanedriver6
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I don't mean to jinx it, but watching the mess unfold at AA right now, and I can't help but think that UA really had the right strategy for the ramp-up out of the pandemic. Not retiring any aircraft in significant quantity and playing it safe with the summer schedule seem to have been the right moves.


AA’s issue is not aircraft, it’s labor. It doesn’t matter at all how many aircraft AA retired and UA didn’t-it’s the people who fly them.

Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.

Indeed.

UA also kept its pilots current and did not push any to the bottom (like DAL), or off the list (like AA). In contrast, UAL is in position with available training capacity to hire 200 pilots/month and is doing so.

Nobody forced AA build a schedule this summer that required more manpower than they had available. It's a pure blunder.

It's too early in the recovery to anybody to claim victory, but right now it looks like UAL had the correct strategy.
 
AMALH747430
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:03 pm

All of this can turn on a dime and I don’t want to congratulate UA just yet, but if you look at operations yesterday, there’s a clear difference between UA and DL vs. WN and AA.

WN: 212 cancellations and 1218 delays
AA: 199 cancellations and 1004 delays

DL: 5 cancellations and 534 delays
UA: 10 cancellations and 444 delays

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday

Media coverage seems to still be congratulating WN on their 50th anniversary and their meteoric rise and not focusing on their continued operational mess though, while AA is being hammered, even though WN had a worse day than AA yesterday. If UA had the day WN had yesterday, all media outlets would have been all over it.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3347
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:09 pm

If UA were to convert the only 772ER Dom to Polaris/PP as well as the other 3 ERs slated for Domestic UA would be up 4 international units in a time frame where international flying is going to take a while to come back.

With the exception of the 788, the 78X is the least premium-dense international widebody and may be able to step right into the replacement of the 772A once the 772ER Polaris units return.

UA has 1 78X in final assembly and 5 more of the next 20 in Boeing's pipeline. Maybe some could be delivered in HD config if UA decides quickly. To densify, removing 3 rows/12 Polaris seats and moving PP in front of Door 2 would probably gain 38Y seats (26 total seats) for a total of 32/21/291= 344 (20 short of 772A).

A mix of 788s, 78X (current or more dense) and 764s should able to cover Hawaii/GUM if the 772A units go away. The 78X has much more capability than the 772A meaning no weight restrictions on ORD-Hawaii, increase cargo capacity and ability to fly East Coast -Hawaii. Hub to hub services could also be operated with a mix of 753/788/78X equipment. Seasonal low premium TATL routes could also be flown with a densified 78X as well the 788.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 pm

I'm hearing United's MAX 8 deliveries start next week. I'm not sure how many MAX 8s will be delivered this year but the first batch of 7 or 8 frames starts next week.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm

I've been doing some digging but I can't the answer anywhere. Does any one know if United was ever compensated by Boeing for the MAX grounding? I know in early 2020 both Southwest and American were financially compensated but at the time United's position was we will be compensated but they were not in a rush for compensation because United didn't know how much longer the MAXes would be grounded.

If United did delay compensation what could that mean in terms of this new order if such an order does happen as expected?
 
NewYork1K
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 pm

jayunited wrote:
I've been doing some digging but I can't the answer anywhere. Does any one know if United was ever compensated by Boeing for the MAX grounding? I know in early 2020 both Southwest and American were financially compensated but at the time United's position was we will be compensated but they were not in a rush for compensation because United didn't know how much longer the MAXes would be grounded.

If United did delay compensation what could that mean in terms of this new order if such an order does happen as expected?


I don't have an answer here, but is it weird that on the Airbus side of the equation, I keep thinking of them trying to come up with an order that will be a vehicle to convert the A350s and take that off the books once and for all?
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:30 pm

jayunited wrote:
I've been doing some digging but I can't the answer anywhere. Does any one know if United was ever compensated by Boeing for the MAX grounding? I know in early 2020 both Southwest and American were financially compensated but at the time United's position was we will be compensated but they were not in a rush for compensation because United didn't know how much longer the MAXes would be grounded.

If United did delay compensation what could that mean in terms of this new order if such an order does happen as expected?

Jay

From the 2020 annual report, page 28

The Company had discussions with Boeing regarding compensation from Boeing for the Company's financial damages related to the grounding of the airline's Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, and in March 2020, the Company entered into a confidential settlement with Boeing with respect to compensation for financial damages incurred in 2019. The settlement agreement was amended and restated in June 2020 to provide for the settlement of additional items related to aircraft delivery and to update the scheduled delivery for substantially all undelivered Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3347
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:51 pm

319 Paint:
N827UA sked to enter AMA 2764/23Jun for EvoBlu livery.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:58 pm

EssentialBusDC wrote:
jayunited wrote:
I've been doing some digging but I can't the answer anywhere. Does any one know if United was ever compensated by Boeing for the MAX grounding? I know in early 2020 both Southwest and American were financially compensated but at the time United's position was we will be compensated but they were not in a rush for compensation because United didn't know how much longer the MAXes would be grounded.

If United did delay compensation what could that mean in terms of this new order if such an order does happen as expected?

Jay

From the 2020 annual report, page 28

The Company had discussions with Boeing regarding compensation from Boeing for the Company's financial damages related to the grounding of the airline's Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, and in March 2020, the Company entered into a confidential settlement with Boeing with respect to compensation for financial damages incurred in 2019. The settlement agreement was amended and restated in June 2020 to provide for the settlement of additional items related to aircraft delivery and to update the scheduled delivery for substantially all undelivered Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.


Thank you for finding this I do appreciate it.

That last sentence really thickens the plot I can't wait for next week to find out what this potential order could be or see how it ultimately breaks down. Like someone else already pointed out United has told employees to mark our calendars for Tuesday June 29th.

United and Boeing together they really do love their secrecy. AA and WN both discussed their compensation UA not a word, the settlement with Boeing is a secret.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:53 am

Just a reminder that when posting a link, users are required to include their own commentary. Links alone (with or without quotes) don't meet posting guidelines.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
User avatar
jakef
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:57 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 pm

What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.
 
codc10
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:00 pm

jakef wrote:
What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.


Possibly for engine mod work at XMN? It is a Polaris-configured ER, which presumably will be the ones UA wants to bring back to revenue service first, after sinking so much money into interior mods.
 
ScorpioMC3
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:52 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 pm

codc10 wrote:
jakef wrote:
What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.


Possibly for engine mod work at XMN? It is a Polaris-configured ER, which presumably will be the ones UA wants to bring back to revenue service first, after sinking so much money into interior mods.


It is going to XMN and it looks like that crew will bring a 777 out of XMN the same day. Additionally, there is another test crew going with it to pick up an A319 from XMN.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 pm

jakef wrote:
What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.



I don't want to get anyones hopes up but according to internal documents N796UA is being ferried to XMN for repairs. Those repairs were not specified and I will not speculate I will leave it to a.netters to speculate what "repairs" means.

However while at XMN the aircraft will undergo both an "A" and a "C" check this in addition to the repairs.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 pm

ScorpioMC3 wrote:
It is going to XMN and it looks like that crew will bring a 777 out of XMN the same day. Additionally, there is another test crew going with it to pick up an A319 from XMN.


The aircraft coming out of XMN is N78004 a GE powered 77E.

Just so there is no confusion because UA does have a PW powered 77A currently grounded at XMN N777UA which is not the 777 flying out of XMN.
 
User avatar
jakef
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:57 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 pm

jayunited wrote:
jakef wrote:
What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.



I don't want to get anyones hopes up but according to internal documents N796UA is being ferried to XMN for repairs. Those repairs were not specified and I will not speculate I will leave it to a.netters to speculate what "repairs" means.

However while at XMN the aircraft will undergo both an "A" and a "C" check this in addition to the repairs.



Interesting. Thank you for the info. Just glad to see a PW bird in the air again.
 
flyer56
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:44 am

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but did UA drop all cargo-only wide-body service? unitedcargo.com shows no such flights for July.
 
grassbruh
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:17 am

jayunited wrote:
jakef wrote:
What is going on with N796UA? UA brought it out of storage in ORD and it flew UA2714 ORD-LAX 6/9. Today it is flying UA2703 LAX-HNL, and is scheduled to fly UA2704 HNL-GUM tomorrow 6/25.



I don't want to get anyones hopes up but according to internal documents N796UA is being ferried to XMN for repairs. Those repairs were not specified and I will not speculate I will leave it to a.netters to speculate what "repairs" means.

However while at XMN the aircraft will undergo both an "A" and a "C" check this in addition to the repairs.


N213UA is also flying DEN-VCV today for maintenance, something may be happening...
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am

How far out is the schedule good for? Looking for Sept.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 am

flyer56 wrote:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but did UA drop all cargo-only wide-body service? unitedcargo.com shows no such flights for July.


Yes cargo only flights will come to an end at the end of June.

As more countries reopen their borders or relax quarantine rules for fully vaccinated travelers United will use the widebody fleet to support our international operations, then there is also Hawaii which is already experiencing a huge increase in demand that demand is only expected to grow as Hawaii drops their testing requirement for fully vaccinated travelers.

Also United isn't alone in ending cargo only flights multiple international carriers have also announced starting in July they would either be installing the seats back on their widebodies or if they didn't take the seats out they would be moving them back to passengers service routes this summer. Most of these changes can be attributed to an increase in the number of international passenger flights but also a decrease in cargo revenue do to a decrease in shipping rates.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4323
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi,
I have not read much about the CRJ550 lately. Has UA already refitted enough CRJ200’s for their needs, or are more of them coming? I hear nothing but good things about the 550, (I have yet to fly one!) but I am assuming that the new(ish) RJ has been a success? (They certainly look nice in pictures!) m

Are AA or DL considering creating their own versions of a 50 seat premium RJ to feed their international routes?
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6431
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hi,
I have not read much about the CRJ550 lately. Has UA already refitted enough CRJ200’s for their needs, or are more of them coming? I hear nothing but good things about the 550, (I have yet to fly one!) but I am assuming that the new(ish) RJ has been a success? (They certainly look nice in pictures!) m

Are AA or DL considering creating their own versions of a 50 seat premium RJ to feed their international routes?


The CR5 is a retrofitted CR7.
 
Eirules
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Guys, hoping you can help. I’m booked on a UA 788 SFO-DUB for next March in Polaris. I read that all of the 787-8s had received an updated business 1-2-1 but the seat map is 2-2-2 for both flights. Is the seat map just not updated or am I missing something?
 
GmoneyCO
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Eirules wrote:
Guys, hoping you can help. I’m booked on a UA 788 SFO-DUB for next March in Polaris. I read that all of the 787-8s had received an updated business 1-2-1 but the seat map is 2-2-2 for both flights. Is the seat map just not updated or am I missing something?


All the 788s have received Polaris. Either the seatmap hasn't been updated since we're still 9 months out from the flight or there is a chance of an aircraft type swap and they want to keep the old seatmap there until its settled that it will be a 788 operating the route in March
 
Eirules
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:03 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Guys, hoping you can help. I’m booked on a UA 788 SFO-DUB for next March in Polaris. I read that all of the 787-8s had received an updated business 1-2-1 but the seat map is 2-2-2 for both flights. Is the seat map just not updated or am I missing something?


All the 788s have received Polaris. Either the seatmap hasn't been updated since we're still 9 months out from the flight or there is a chance of an aircraft type swap and they want to keep the old seatmap there until its settled that it will be a 788 operating the route in March


Great thanks for the reply. I know the 763s are 1-2-1 as are the 787-10s. What about 787-9s? Are any of those SFO based?
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:08 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hi,
I have not read much about the CRJ550 lately. Has UA already refitted enough CRJ200’s for their needs, or are more of them coming? I hear nothing but good things about the 550, (I have yet to fly one!) but I am assuming that the new(ish) RJ has been a success? (They certainly look nice in pictures!) m

Are AA or DL considering creating their own versions of a 50 seat premium RJ to feed their international routes?


I personally think it is a great plane and hopefully will be the 50 seat solution on many routes as the CRJ200/E145 retire out.
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4452
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Eirules wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Guys, hoping you can help. I’m booked on a UA 788 SFO-DUB for next March in Polaris. I read that all of the 787-8s had received an updated business 1-2-1 but the seat map is 2-2-2 for both flights. Is the seat map just not updated or am I missing something?


All the 788s have received Polaris. Either the seatmap hasn't been updated since we're still 9 months out from the flight or there is a chance of an aircraft type swap and they want to keep the old seatmap there until its settled that it will be a 788 operating the route in March


Great thanks for the reply. I know the 763s are 1-2-1 as are the 787-10s. What about 787-9s? Are any of those SFO based?

The 763 in Polaris is 1-1-1...in the old configuration it was 2-1-2
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:05 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Hi,
I have not read much about the CRJ550 lately. Has UA already refitted enough CRJ200’s for their needs, or are more of them coming? I hear nothing but good things about the 550, (I have yet to fly one!) but I am assuming that the new(ish) RJ has been a success? (They certainly look nice in pictures!) m

Are AA or DL considering creating their own versions of a 50 seat premium RJ to feed their international routes?


I personally think it is a great plane and hopefully will be the 50 seat solution on many routes as the CRJ200/E145 retire out.

I can't wait to try it, but every flight I've booked on one has been swapped for E145's or E170's (which is fine).
 
Pinto
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Eirules wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Guys, hoping you can help. I’m booked on a UA 788 SFO-DUB for next March in Polaris. I read that all of the 787-8s had received an updated business 1-2-1 but the seat map is 2-2-2 for both flights. Is the seat map just not updated or am I missing something?


All the 788s have received Polaris. Either the seatmap hasn't been updated since we're still 9 months out from the flight or there is a chance of an aircraft type swap and they want to keep the old seatmap there until its settled that it will be a 788 operating the route in March


Great thanks for the reply. I know the 763s are 1-2-1 as are the 787-10s. What about 787-9s? Are any of those SFO based?


767-300/400 - 2-1-2 in nonPolaris Diamond Seats
767-300 - 1-1-1 in Polaris
787-8/9/10 - 1-2-1 in Polaris
787-9 - 2-2-2 in nonPolaris Diamond Seats
777-200ER/300ER - 1-2-1 in Polaris
 
jayunited
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 am

Next week is really shaping up to be an extremely busy week for United Airlines. Next week United's total revenue passenger count will increase by 263,000 passengers over the 7 day period v.s. the same 7 day period this week. The last time United saw a single one week increase like this was during spring break and even then the one week jump wasn't this high. If you are thinking about nonreving next week you might want to reconsider your plans.

Revenue Passenger Load Factors for this up coming week leading into the 4th of July Holiday.
EWR: 94.4%
IAD: 93.2%
SFO: 91.9%
LAX: 91.0%
DEN: 89.7%
IAH: 89.2%
ORD 87:5%

EWR for the first time this pandemic will top 30,000+ revenue passengers on 4 out of the 7 days next week and their revenue passenger count does not drop below 26,000 passengers at all next week. In addition to EWR seeing new high revenue passenger counts, IAD, SFO and LAX will all exceed their previous revenue passenger pandemic highs next week. It seems like our hubs (cities/regions) that experienced the most severe lock downs and restrictions during the pandemic, the hubs that kind of missed out on this years spring break pandemonium will now experience it next week as more locals in those regions are now ready to get back out there and start traveling.

Also there are plenty of line stations to many to name with a revenue load factor between 95% - 99.8% next week. So it isn't just the hubs, many of our line stations will be a complete mess next week.

If you are looking to travel as a nonrev the best day or days right now look to be next Saturday evening until Monday early afternoon with Sunday (the holiday) being the best day of the week.

Overall total domestic revenue load factor on the holiday July 4th is only 65.7% nonrevs will have no problem getting out on that day.

Looking at our load factors I'm praying there is no severe weather next week. We can deal with rain, but severe weather with these load factors would be disastrous for passengers.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14502
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 am

Is United’s first 737-8 Max, with its new AVOD, going to be at the EWR event Tuesday?
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:37 am

UAX a update:

CR5:
N515MJ entered AMA for paint
 
sxf24
Posts: 1254
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:00 am

STT757 wrote:
Is United’s first 737-8 Max, with its new AVOD, going to be at the EWR event Tuesday?


All signs point to yes.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9053
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:26 am

Are any 737 Max aircraft being used out of the Guam base yet ?


And between the west coast and HNL ?
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:29 am

[code][/code]Interesting Skywest diversion today.
UA5476 a 175 operating Burbank-DEN went into a hold over southern Utah, then diverted to St. George. The flight is now inbound for Denver, 4 hours late.
A CR2 Bakersfield-Den did the same thing, and is also now on the way to Denver.
DEN has had delays all day.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KBUR/KDEN

Was this a crew swap in SGU? Also, density altitude was high, almost 6,000 feet, in SGU today. Did they have to wait for it to cool?

Do you think the one vending machine at SGU could handle that many diverted passengers for hours?
 
United1
Posts: 4284
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:40 am

Max Q wrote:
Are any 737 Max aircraft being used out of the Guam base yet ?


And between the west coast and HNL ?


I don't know if the Maxes are going to HNL but they are going to OGG. AFAIK UA hasn't flown them in and out of GUM yet.
 
jagraham
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:45 am

jayunited wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
Had UA retired a bunch of aircraft - they would have been in the same position. So the issue was indeed the aircraft. AA decided to retire fleets which drove the required training.


Correct, having aircraft flexibility for pilots / FA's / gates go hand in hand. If a few types were eliminated, as with AA, UA would be in the same position trying to bring back personnel or retrain on new a/c types.

The real question is how much cash did AA burn vs. DL/UA with this strategy? AA was already in the worst financial shape of the three and seemingly made it worse. Then, the customer service impact.

Back to UA, I wonder what's going on with the Boeing discussions and the PW issues. Not a lot of noise lately. It sure would be nice to have a 20x 78J order in a domestic configuration to replace the 77A's. With all the reshuffling of aircraft orders, how soon could UA get these? In time for summer 2022?

I can't imagine the legal aspects and costs of the PW issue. It's been a long time being grounded + time still to go.



As far as the PW issues go I think the problem really has to do with the 77As those 1995 and 1996 frames nose number 2300 and 2400, I'm starting to feel like those frames are probably done (that is just my personal feeling not based on any rumor or insider information). Based on the most recent town hall where the PW 777 issue was discussed we were told United still expects the 77Es to come back although the return had slipped from sometime in 2021 to now not before 2022. However that NOC town hall took place nearly a month before the media got word of United's negotiations with Boeing and Airbus. At the time United told employees although they were in talks with Boeing over the 777s they (Boeing) assured them they could fix the cowling issue.

Back to my personal beliefs if the 2300 and 2400 series "A" models are done I think UA might just retire the 6 2500 series "A" models as well . Why keep them? Those frames were delivered in 2000 and it is my understanding the fan blades on those 6 frames all passed inspection. This would leave the 4 77Es (1 already covered to HD), I think UA would simply install Polaris/PE and keep those 4 frames in the international fleet. An HD configured 78X can handle all of UA's domestic routes and carry cargo, the longest route United used an HD 77A on was I think ORD-HNL.


We all would like to see 78X take over the HD duties. But the 78X is so useful, and saves so much, almost anywhere in UA's international network, that except for the HNL/TYO/GUM triangle, using 78Xs for 5 hr flights is leaving savings (and prestige) for some other international flight on the table.

How many routes does UA have where a 77E is advantageous over a 78X? Other than the ULH routes the 779s are flying anyway?
 
Eirules
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:10 am

drerx7 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:

All the 788s have received Polaris. Either the seatmap hasn't been updated since we're still 9 months out from the flight or there is a chance of an aircraft type swap and they want to keep the old seatmap there until its settled that it will be a 788 operating the route in March


Great thanks for the reply. I know the 763s are 1-2-1 as are the 787-10s. What about 787-9s? Are any of those SFO based?

The 763 in Polaris is 1-1-1...in the old configuration it was 2-1-2


Sorry my bad. I knew it was 1-1-1 but still wrote 1-2-1
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1952
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:05 pm

jayunited wrote:
Next week is really shaping up to be an extremely busy week for United Airlines. Next week United's total revenue passenger count will increase by 263,000 passengers over the 7 day period v.s. the same 7 day period this week. The last time United saw a single one week increase like this was during spring break and even then the one week jump wasn't this high. If you are thinking about nonreving next week you might want to reconsider your plans.

Revenue Passenger Load Factors for this up coming week leading into the 4th of July Holiday.
EWR: 94.4%
IAD: 93.2%
SFO: 91.9%
LAX: 91.0%
DEN: 89.7%
IAH: 89.2%
ORD 87:5%

EWR for the first time this pandemic will top 30,000+ revenue passengers on 4 out of the 7 days next week and their revenue passenger count does not drop below 26,000 passengers at all next week. In addition to EWR seeing new high revenue passenger counts, IAD, SFO and LAX will all exceed their previous revenue passenger pandemic highs next week. It seems like our hubs (cities/regions) that experienced the most severe lock downs and restrictions during the pandemic, the hubs that kind of missed out on this years spring break pandemonium will now experience it next week as more locals in those regions are now ready to get back out there and start traveling.

Also there are plenty of line stations to many to name with a revenue load factor between 95% - 99.8% next week. So it isn't just the hubs, many of our line stations will be a complete mess next week.

If you are looking to travel as a nonrev the best day or days right now look to be next Saturday evening until Monday early afternoon with Sunday (the holiday) being the best day of the week.

Overall total domestic revenue load factor on the holiday July 4th is only 65.7% nonrevs will have no problem getting out on that day.

Looking at our load factors I'm praying there is no severe weather next week. We can deal with rain, but severe weather with these load factors would be disastrous for passengers.


Was at EWR this morning, it was total chaos. I appreciate the added customer services reps they added around the check in lobby to assist passengers to separate check in areas but quite frankly they are just blatantly rude. I didn’t talk with any but saw how the confronted passengers, yikes. I’m assuming it’s from the stress of all the crowds this weekend though as it was completely mobbed.

Is there anything in store for a renovation of terminal C anytime remotely soon or any plan to combat the awful security lines? Right now UA has about 225 flights a day and it was awful, I can’t imagine for when we get back up to 400.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:22 pm

A source was able to confirm to me that the MAX 8 have nose to tail AVOD. Looks nice! There’s also word that the first MAX 8 might be at the investor/fleet event on Tuesday.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:44 pm

intotheair wrote:
A source was able to confirm to me that the MAX 8 have nose to tail AVOD. Looks nice! There’s also word that the first MAX 8 might be at the investor/fleet event on Tuesday.

We already know that the plane is scheduled to be in Newark for the employee townhall on Tuesday.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14502
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Does anyone have a tail number of the 737-8 Max so we can track it?
 
NewYork1K
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm

STT757 wrote:
Does anyone have a tail number of the 737-8 Max so we can track it?

N27251, which is scheduled for a C1 acceptance flight tomorrow.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N27251
 
SXDFC
Posts: 2133
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:34 pm

The first MAX8 for UA, was it built for UA or was it a whitetail?
 
User avatar
WoodysAeroimag
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:01 am

NYPECO wrote:
hannah9898 wrote:
Is there any picture of their 737 MAX 8? I can't find any yet.


viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1455923&start=450#p22819961

This post has one. Only the rudder and winglets are painted.


Here is their 2nd one painted at RNT. so far 5 have rolled out of final assembly with 3 more in assembly.

8075 43932 N27252 737-8 United Airlines
Image8075 43932 N27252 737-8 United Airlines by 737 MAX Production, on Flickr

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos