Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LGeneReese

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:36 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
UA grounded MAX units 7515-7530 for electrical inspections (16 total) after their flights on 4/8. Some are scheduled to fly tomorrow, some the 11th and some without a scheduled flight.
Looking at aircraft that were scheduled to be short term parked today, many are now covering, mostly 739s, with some 738s, 73G, Airbus and a 753.

viewtopic.php?t=1459707
Formerly IAHCSR

jayunited

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am

tphuang wrote:
I'm surprised they don't think B6 poses real danger. Looks like EWR is asking everyone to reduce number of departures.

I think the reason UA doesn't see B6 as much of a threat right now is because UA at EWR is operating more nonstop flights than B6 is out of EWR, JFK, and LGA combined. When you jettison all the codeshare flights with AA and even B6's codeshare with HA to HNL and focus on JetBlue operated metal tomorrow (Saturday April 10, 2021) B6 is scheduled to operate 135 total flights out of all three airports combined but only 40 are out of EWR. United on the other hand is schedule to operate 175 flights (not including cargo only flights) out of EWR alone tomorrow (Saturday April 10, 2021) and when you add in LGA and JFK United will operate 188 total flights out of NYC. Subsequently DL is scheduled to operate 190 total flights out of all 3 NYC airports tomorrow.

United still has around 80 or so narrowbodies in storage. We could pull them all out now and flood the EWR market with an over abundance of capacity but a move like that would only play into B6's hand because it would cost UA money, weaken our financial position, UA would basically be fighting itself. When compared to 2019 passenger numbers and daily number of flights across all 3 airports it is obvious demand to/from NYC is down substantially.

Delta, JetBlue and United are all facing the same problem in the NYC market (lack of business traffic (and for DL and UA ) lack of international long haul traffic) so they are all chasing leisure travelers right now. However there aren't a whole lot of tourist going to NYC for vacation so they are basically flying O&D traffic out of NYC and back. Looking at the total daily departures out of NYC it is obvious UA is not falling behind we are keeping up with DL in terms of total number of flights and we continue to outpace B6.

jbs2886

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:37 am

jayunited wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I'm surprised they don't think B6 poses real danger. Looks like EWR is asking everyone to reduce number of departures.

I think the reason UA doesn't see B6 as much of a threat right now is because UA at EWR is operating more nonstop flights than B6 is out of EWR, JFK, and LGA combined. When you jettison all the codeshare flights with AA and even B6's codeshare with HA to HNL and focus on JetBlue operated metal tomorrow (Saturday April 10, 2021) B6 is scheduled to operate 135 total flights out of all three airports combined but only 40 are out of EWR. United on the other hand is schedule to operate 175 flights (not including cargo only flights) out of EWR alone tomorrow (Saturday April 10, 2021) and when you add in LGA and JFK United will operate 188 total flights out of NYC. Subsequently DL is scheduled to operate 190 total flights out of all 3 NYC airports tomorrow.

United still has around 80 or so narrowbodies in storage. We could pull them all out now and flood the EWR market with an over abundance of capacity but a move like that would only play into B6's hand because it would cost UA money, weaken our financial position, UA would basically be fighting itself. When compared to 2019 passenger numbers and daily number of flights across all 3 airports it is obvious demand to/from NYC is down substantially.

Delta, JetBlue and United are all facing the same problem in the NYC market (lack of business traffic (and for DL and UA ) lack of international long haul traffic) so they are all chasing leisure travelers right now. However there aren't a whole lot of tourist going to NYC for vacation so they are basically flying O&D traffic out of NYC and back. Looking at the total daily departures out of NYC it is obvious UA is not falling behind we are keeping up with DL in terms of total number of flights and we continue to outpace B6.

I don’t think you can look at it that narrowly. The issue is whether JetBlue is gaining marketshare during this time that will put them in a better position for recovery. If I had to guess, the proportion of JetBlue flights to UAA NYC flights is much higher than it was pre-pandemic.

But maybe UA isn’t worried because UA has a lot more room to ramp up and JetBlue is pretty much operating at full.

cosyr

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am

LAXintl wrote:
IAH is physically limited in the number of gates and also has logistical issues with passenger movement, baggage handling, and inefficient staffing required which creates bottlenecks.

The summer 2019 schedule pushed UA daily departures to over 500 which had a considerable negative impact on the operation. Most banks had near 100% gate utilization planed and 3-banks (09:30, 12:00 and 18:00) had more flights scheduled than gates if everything was operating on-time.

The baggage handling limitations can likely be considered resolved once the new system is fully operational in 2022, but the airports overall gate count shortage, and terminal layout still make it less than ideal for passenger movement and also requires a over sized number of staff to work. I believe it was either Andrew Nocella or Kirby that mentioned something like they would love to blow the place up and start from scratch with a new design.

Why would this be such a struggle, if UA has more gates than ever before at IAH, and 500 is down from its peak? That seems like poor bank planning. Anyway, there's no point in comparing IAH to DFW. AA has to have DFW the way it is, because they don't have DEN, and they're smaller at ORD.

jetmatt777

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:48 am

It’s a very inefficient concourse design. If you squeeze the banks, customer connections drop off. If you allow longer banks, you run out of space.

I think the only way to max out IAH is to run a rolling hub, which also has its downsides. Customer connections can be longer and less frequent as the connection flow is not optimized.

Runway765

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:50 am

LAXintl wrote:
The baggage handling limitations can likely be considered resolved once the new system is fully operational in 2022, but the airports overall gate count shortage, and terminal layout still make it less than ideal for passenger movement and also requires a over sized number of staff to work. I believe it was either Andrew Nocella or Kirby that mentioned something like they would love to blow the place up and start from scratch with a new design.

Yep, it’s remarkable how IAH suffers from a lot of the same problems DFW does. Both were built before the modern aviation era began and are not really suitable for hub and spoke operations. I blame previous leadership for not pulling the trigger on projects that could’ve fixed it, and now UA/AA have to suffer.

Anyway, rant over.

cosyr

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:51 am

jbs2886 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I don’t think you can look at it that narrowly. The issue is whether JetBlue is gaining marketshare during this time that will put them in a better position for recovery. If I had to guess, the proportion of JetBlue flights to UAA NYC flights is much higher than it was pre-pandemic.

But maybe UA isn’t worried because UA has a lot more room to ramp up and JetBlue is pretty much operating at full.

Someday, when Int'l and Business travel revenue returns, UA will have a much bigger financial cusion, and they can compete with B6 and flood the routes that B6 is on. When that happens, FF's will choose UA for the upgrades and UA gives them service for their business travel and their leisure. Non FF's won't care, and half will go to B6 and half to UA. Ultimately, B6 will go back to serving EWR, the way that UA does LGA.

intotheair

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 am

Thanks as always to jayunited for the insight. I think the most striking thing to hear is that UA is really going to try to make a go of these P2P routes and build up Florida even after the pandemic. UA has been far less willing to experiment with P2P routes and focus cities compared to AA and DL, so this will be really interesting to see how that shakes out. It seems like UA is well situated to aggressively compete both at its hubs and in outstations when the recovery picks up speed. I was also looking at the fleet count, and, on paper, if you still include the PW 777s, UA now has a bigger mainline fleet than DL and is almost as big as AA (AA 859, UA 820, DL 771.) That's amazing when you think about the possibilities.

SFOtoORD wrote:
jayunited wrote:
SFO: has become UA worst performing hub in terms of business, international and leisure traffic. UA does expect improvement in June should the state fully reopen. UA will also add an additional late afternoon bank at SFO in June to increase connectivity.

Reopening really has no impact on SFO as every county is already in the orange tier with gyms and restaurants open. Covid case rates (per 100k) in CA are some of the lowest in the country and vaccination is going relatively well. I just think many leisure travelers are choosing Tahoe, Palm Springs, wine country, and other parts of SoCal by car. There is a lot more demand to PHX and Hawaii, but i haven’t seen the more typical transcon demand pick up. That is what I think will increase come June.

This matches up with most people I know. A lot of people still seem hesitant to travel, and if they do, they're not venturing too much farther than Tahoe by car. I still think that will change pretty soon though. There's a lot of wealth and disposable income in the Bay Area, and people are itching to travel. I think people here also feel a lot more comfortable doing it now that more and more people are vaccinated. Business and international will return, the only question is when – California has a GDP that's bigger than the UK's, and I would not want to bet against the Californian economy.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Max Q

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:44 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
It’s a very inefficient concourse design. If you squeeze the banks, customer connections drop off. If you allow longer banks, you run out of space.

I think the only way to max out IAH is to run a rolling hub, which also has its downsides. Customer connections can be longer and less frequent as the connection flow is not optimized.

I don’t know if there’s anything built there now or there are plans to do so but I’ve thought for some time since the north runway was built there’s plenty of space for a brand new, dedicated UA terminal complex with room to grow between 26L and 26R
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ChaseP

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:49 am

IAH was being held back by the constraints of the bag room. The complete overhaul of the Terminal C and E bag room is slated to be complete later this year.

tphuang wrote:
I think they need to pick up the pace in expanding IAH. They can't fall too far behind DFW in size. That along with ever growing WN presence would be a huge hindrance to UA's success at IAH.

UA IAH can never match AA DFW scale simply due to facility constraints. Pre-pandemic UA was running about the maximum it could and struggled.[/quote]

ChaseP

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:11 am

N872UA (Airbus 319) is starting its trek from XMN to SFO. The aircraft has already completed induction into the fleet. Some small items will be completed at SFO before heading to VCV for painting.

LGeneReese

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 am

N29985 First revenue flight UA620 SFOORD 9APR. Fairly full too.
Formerly IAHCSR

UAinAUS

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:57 am

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N12145 (ex-AX 2003 build) ferried ALB for transfer to CommutAir

CR7:
N501MJ ferried STL for conversion to CR5
N785SK ferried ROW for paint

drerx7

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:51 am

Max Q wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I don’t know if there’s anything built there now or there are plans to do so but I’ve thought for some time since the north runway was built there’s plenty of space for a brand new, dedicated UA terminal complex with room to grow between 26L and 26R

Like a linear terminal? That would be great but that's like a 100 year plan lol. As it is now the best the city can do is extend Terminal A and get rid of the flight stations at Terminal B. Which, Besides the Marriott, are the only remnants of the original design.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jayunited

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:36 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

There isn't much marketshare to be gained right now in NYC area. It isn't that United doesn't take B6 seriously because they do take them seriously but at this particular point in time they are no threat to UA at EWR. I think what United is looking at right now in 2021 pertaining to JetBlue are two things; first JetBlue has already reactivated most of its fleet and their fleet utilization is pretty good. Secondly JetBlue in 2021 will only take delivery of 17 aircraft. For JetBlue to really give UA a fight in 2021 they would need pull resources from other markets and routes to put them in EWR and that simply hasn't happened. There are some UA employees and people on this site who are looking 2, 3, 4 or even 5 years down the road and saying United needs to stop JetBlue at EWR now in 2021. This is ridiculous and would waste resources that could be put to better use at a hub like DEN or IAH where WN does pose a serious threat now in 2021.

United is taking the threat seriously and on every call and every town hall whenever EWR and JetBlue is brought up the response is we will fight and defend EWR, but right now JetBlue poses no threat. But what people continue to selectively hear is JetBlue poses no threat, which is not what United is saying.

Both United and JetBlue are going to have some difficult decisions to make in the future. How much can United grow at JFK 3-5 years down the road without damaging our EWR operations. And vise versa how much can JetBlue grow at EWR without damaging their JFK operations. Keep in mind because of the NEA with AA and the agreement with the DOT, JetBlue has capacity requirements they must hit at JFK starting in 2022 or risk loosing slots. The last thing JetBlue wants is loose slots at JFK because that only opens the door for Delta Airlines.

Saying JetBlue isn't a threat now does not mean United isn't preparing to battle it out in 2022, 2023, or 2024. In fact on the call we had this week when talking about EWR and JetBlue UA did note the aircraft we have in storage, the number I gave earlier does not include any of the used aircraft UA has taken delivery of since January 2020 (some will enter service others will be parted out). And UA noted the narrowbody deliveries we are expecting in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 so we are not falling behind in the NYC market. But at the same time we are not going to flood the EWR market in April of 2021 with excess capacity that isn't needed simply because we are trying to keep JetBlue out of EWR, 40 flights v.s. 175. By the way over at JFK JetBlue isn't even operating 100 flights daily out of that airport right now. Once the industry really gets into the recovery for JetBlue to really defend JFK against Delta and get JFK back to pre-pandemic levels while maintaining the network they've built across this country during the pandemic they are going to need quite a few aircraft deliveries beginning in 2022. I don't work for JetBlue so I can't speak to their 2022 delivery schedule but United continues to prepare for 2022 and beyond and we will be ready with the resources needed to respond at EWR.

Cboyle

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:27 pm

When will the UA P2P FL routes be bookable?

Acey559

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Cboyle wrote:

It appears they are now. I searched MKE-PNS and it shows as bookable. Remember though that these are very low frequency, with MKE-PNS being only twice weekly. So if the route doesn’t show, just adjust the dates.

Cboyle

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Acey559 wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

It appears they are now. I searched MKE-PNS and it shows as bookable. Remember though that these are very low frequency, with MKE-PNS being only twice weekly. So if the route doesn’t show, just adjust the dates.

I meant the ones in the fall...

xjetflyer2001

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:31 pm

jayunited wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

There isn't much marketshare to be gained right now in NYC area. It isn't that United doesn't take B6 seriously because they do take them seriously but at this particular point in time they are no threat to UA at EWR. I think what United is looking at right now in 2021 pertaining to JetBlue are two things; first JetBlue has already reactivated most of its fleet and their fleet utilization is pretty good. Secondly JetBlue in 2021 will only take delivery of 17 aircraft. For JetBlue to really give UA a fight in 2021 they would need pull resources from other markets and routes to put them in EWR and that simply hasn't happened. There are some UA employees and people on this site who are looking 2, 3, 4 or even 5 years down the road and saying United needs to stop JetBlue at EWR now in 2021. This is ridiculous and would waste resources that could be put to better use at a hub like DEN or IAH where WN does pose a serious threat now in 2021.

United is taking the threat seriously and on every call and every town hall whenever EWR and JetBlue is brought up the response is we will fight and defend EWR, but right now JetBlue poses no threat. But what people continue to selectively hear is JetBlue poses no threat, which is not what United is saying.

Both United and JetBlue are going to have some difficult decisions to make in the future. How much can United grow at JFK 3-5 years down the road without damaging our EWR operations. And vise versa how much can JetBlue grow at EWR without damaging their JFK operations. Keep in mind because of the NEA with AA and the agreement with the DOT, JetBlue has capacity requirements they must hit at JFK starting in 2022 or risk loosing slots. The last thing JetBlue wants is loose slots at JFK because that only opens the door for Delta Airlines.

Saying JetBlue isn't a threat now does not mean United isn't preparing to battle it out in 2022, 2023, or 2024. In fact on the call we had this week when talking about EWR and JetBlue UA did note the aircraft we have in storage, the number I gave earlier does not include any of the used aircraft UA has taken delivery of since January 2020 (some will enter service others will be parted out). And UA noted the narrowbody deliveries we are expecting in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 so we are not falling behind in the NYC market. But at the same time we are not going to flood the EWR market in April of 2021 with excess capacity that isn't needed simply because we are trying to keep JetBlue out of EWR, 40 flights v.s. 175. By the way over at JFK JetBlue isn't even operating 100 flights daily out of that airport right now. Once the industry really gets into the recovery for JetBlue to really defend JFK against Delta and get JFK back to pre-pandemic levels while maintaining the network they've built across this country during the pandemic they are going to need quite a few aircraft deliveries beginning in 2022. I don't work for JetBlue so I can't speak to their 2022 delivery schedule but United continues to prepare for 2022 and beyond and we will be ready with the resources needed to respond at EWR.

jayunited I know its been said multiple times, but I love reading your insights and hearing your information into whats going on at UA, very informative and appreciative. Thank You for taking the time.

Airlines0613

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:35 pm

drerx7 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Like a linear terminal? That would be great but that's like a 100 year plan lol. As it is now the best the city can do is extend Terminal A and get rid of the flight stations at Terminal B. Which, Besides the Marriott, are the only remnants of the original design.

IIRC, Terminal B North at IAH was supposed to be replaced with a much larger terminal. If UA is having problems with gate space, a new Terminal B North can definitely help. Although, as others have stated, I’ve also heard most flight restraints at IAH are due to the old baggage system. Hopefully with it remodeled, we can see 700+ flights a day.

CALTECH

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:45 pm

1st Qtr Update, In Fleet or Coming.

20X- Ex-SWA, Nose numbers 755-774

17X- 737MAX8 Nose Numbers 7251-7267 All have Line Numbers & MSNs

32X- 737MAX9 Nose Numbers 7501-7532 All have Line Numbers & MSNs Except for 7531, which is not displayed on paper yet.

11X- 737MAX10 Nose Numbers 7751-7757 the next 4 have Line Numbers & MSNs, but not assigned nose number yet on paper.

12X- 787-8s

36X- 787-9s

25X- 787-10 Nose Numbers 1001-1014, the next 11 have Reg #s but no Line Number or MSN assigned yet on paper.

A320-232 #4910-4913 are decommissioning.
You are here.

avi8

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Wow, so UA is taking delivery of 17 737-8 MAX and 11 737-10 MAX? That's amazing.
avi8

Nicknuzzii

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm

jayunited wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It’s more then just passengers it’s resources. This 40 number is very low and not the whole story. This summer they’ll be at 68 flights a day. Ok you can use the argument that that’s still not a super high number but when we look at the gate situation it’s a different story. B6 will now have 20 arrivals into TB on peak days, how is United gonna like that especially when their customs in C isn’t even open? Or even in the long run if UA doesn’t feel the affects of this, their Star Alliance partners sure will when they are trying to get good gate space at EWR. Then if we look at T1, B6 will obviously be the anchor tenant and they have no doubt taken gates away from UA there. I’m thinking B6 will need a minimum of 14, AA 5, AS 2, and AC 2. This model doesn’t even account for DL, NK, or F9 who have been thrown around B to try and get gates (All 3 have confirmed they have).

RyanairGuru

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:05 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
jayunited wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It’s more then just passengers it’s resources. This 40 number is very low and not the whole story. This summer they’ll be at 68 flights a day. Ok you can use the argument that that’s still not a super high number but when we look at the gate situation it’s a different story. B6 will now have 20 arrivals into TB on peak days, how is United gonna like that especially when their customs in C isn’t even open? Or even in the long run if UA doesn’t feel the affects of this, their Star Alliance partners sure will when they are trying to get good gate space at EWR. Then if we look at T1, B6 will obviously be the anchor tenant and they have no doubt taken gates away from UA there. I’m thinking B6 will need a minimum of 14, AA 5, AS 2, and AC 2. This model doesn’t even account for DL, NK, or F9 who have been thrown around B to try and get gates (All 3 have confirmed they have).

How on earth do you get to 14 gates for B6? As Jayunited pointed out, their fleet is already quite thinly spread. Short of drawing down BOS, it seems unrealistic for them to grow to ~100-140 flights at EWR.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

alasizon

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm

ChaseP wrote:
IAH was being held back by the constraints of the bag room. The complete overhaul of the Terminal C and E bag room is slated to be complete later this year.

I'm not familiar with the IAH BHS limitations, was it a processing issue or simply a space available for carts issue?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Nicknuzzii

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:23 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
jayunited wrote:

How on earth do you get to 14 gates for B6? As Jayunited pointed out, their fleet is already quite thinly spread. Short of drawing down BOS, it seems unrealistic for them to grow to ~100-140 flights at EWR.

110-120 seems very realistic. Management keeps touting EWR and even added more flights in some markets this summer compared to when initially announced. I think it’s only a matter of time before DEN/MSY/ORD/PWM/BNA/KIN/
SLC/DFW/IAH/BUF/SYR and that alone brings us to 100 if they even just fly these 2x a day.

LGeneReese

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:35 pm

CALTECH wrote:

32X- 737MAX9 Nose Numbers 7501-7532 All have Line Numbers & MSNs Except for 7531, which is not displayed on paper yet.

11X- 737MAX10 Nose Numbers 7751-7757 the next 4 have Line Numbers & MSNs, but not assigned nose number yet on paper.

12X- 787-8s

36X- 787-9s

25X- 787-10 Nose Numbers 1001-1014, the next 11 have Reg #s but no Line Number or MSN assigned yet on paper.

787-10 I’ve seen Ships 1015-1019 showing LNs 1131,32,34,36, and 1138. How accurate this info is a good Q.

A319 If I understand correctly the 20 UA are acquiring from EasyJet(U2) will now be resold or parted out.
Last edited by LGeneReese on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly IAHCSR

EssentialBusDC

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:39 pm

avi8 wrote:
Wow, so UA is taking delivery of 17 737-8 MAX and 11 737-10 MAX? That's amazing.

The max 10’s are in the future. Like 2023 future, since the plane isn’t even certified yet, and won’t be till they add the required modifications to get certified.

From the Boeing 10k:
We now anticipate that the first 737 MAX 10 and 777X delivery will occur in 2023. This schedule reflects a number of factors, including an updated assessment of global certification requirements informed by continued discussions with regulators and resulting in a management decision to make modifications to the aircraft’s design.”

Jetport

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

110-120 seems very realistic. Management keeps touting EWR and even added more flights in some markets this summer compared to when initially announced. I think it’s only a matter of time before DEN/MSY/ORD/PWM/BNA/KIN/
SLC/DFW/IAH/BUF/SYR and that alone brings us to 100 if they even just fly these 2x a day.

I really doubt JetBlue will add all these cities from EWR. JetBlue doesn't serve PWM year round at all anymore, why would they add EWR if JFK is now only seasonal? Also, I don't think any PWM based frequent flyers will go back to B6 after they screwed everyone in Maine last time.

tphuang

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:14 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
jayunited wrote:

So I think there are some good points being made here. As things currently stand, JetBlue is very much a glorified leisure carrier in EWR. It flies to a couple of large business market, but it's unclear or unlikely whether or not they will attempt a more business schedule on those routes once that traffic comes back. Most of its routes are to leisure and transcon markets. If JetBlue just sticks with what it has now and maybe add a couple of more routes on leisure schedule, it really doesn't post much of a threat to UA. At this point, I think getting to 80 peak departures a day is a given for them (since they will already be at almost 70 peak departures a day by July/August). I don't think it will take much for them to get to 100 peak departures a day by Q2 2024.

The other good point jayunited made is that they will be constrained in terms of pilots, FAs and aircraft. Keep in mind, they have not had any fleet retirement thus far and are bringing almost every aircraft back for the summer. So the schedule they will run this summer is not too far from the maximum schedule they are able to run. I've brought this up many times in JetBlue thread, but their major constraint is being a small airline and that they can only grow so much from year to year. Much of their expected growth in NYC area will come from giving up in MCO and coming back extremely slowly in BOS/FLL. Even with that, it's a tall order to add probably another 80 to 100 departures a day among NYC area airport from this to next summer in order to fulfill its part of the NEA + some small growth at EWR, since slot waiver will go away at some point. Maybe not this winter, but definitely by next summer (I would imagine). So far, they've gotten really lucky because JFK/LGA is slot restricted whereas EWR is not.

If they want to grow EWR faster, they would basically have to tell AA that we can't fly all these slots that you want to lease to us. Now, I actually happen to think that's the correct strategy. I think EWR will come out of this a more important airport in NYC area than LGA. But there has been no indication from JetBlue that they will deviate from its partnership with AA. B6 at this point would need to do something pretty drastic to end up with a much larger size (say 120 to 140 departures a day) by 2024. I would assume EWR will be fully constrained by then. It would first need to grab as many gates at the new T-1 as possible. We will find out if that happens. It will need to continue its current strategy of growing NYC at the expense of every other focus city. It would also need to delay E90 retirement, add some used A320/A321s and hire a lot of pilots/FAs.

The question for me is what type of B6 operation at EWR would alarm UA? Do they need to hit a certain departure total? Do they need to add certain type of markets from what they have now? Do they need to reach a certain size among all 3 NYC area airport?

GreenCountry

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

IIRC, Terminal B North at IAH was supposed to be replaced with a much larger terminal. If UA is having problems with gate space, a new Terminal B North can definitely help. Although, as others have stated, I’ve also heard most flight restraints at IAH are due to the old baggage system. Hopefully with it remodeled, we can see 700+ flights a day.

Whenever United wants/needs it, the north flight stations of Terminal B will be replaced by higher-capacity concourses. Simply put, long-term, United is not constrained at IAH by lack of facilities.

VC10er

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have been too sad about not flying much (5 round trips I believe in 2020) and have dropped off airliners.net as it made me even more sad! So I missed a lot!

My first question is, has United targeted a date to reopen Polaris lounges?

Anything revealing for the 737MAX 10 lie flat first seat and layout?

Once vaccinated I plan to take some joy rides; does UA have any regularly scheduled MAX flights from EWR? And does anyone have interior shots? Thanks!

I have some more but since I am BACK now, I’m sure I will pick up more news. Missed all of you! Richard
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I have been too sad about not flying much (5 round trips I believe in 2020) and have dropped off airliners.net as it made me even more sad! So I missed a lot!

Once vaccinated I plan to take some joy rides; does UA have any regularly scheduled MAX flights from EWR? And does anyone have interior shots? Thanks!

I have some more but since I am BACK now, I’m sure I will pick up more news. Missed all of you! Richard

As for the EWR question, yes! EWR-DEN/IAH.

Scarebus34

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:16 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello Everyone,

There is no reopening date for Polaris lounges or the rest of the clubs that are closed. My best guess is that the remaining United Clubs will re-open with the June schedule change, however, Polaris lounges are likely to remain closed into the fall.

The Max 10 has been delayed until 2023 - so there's a ways to go before we see anything else about interior configuration on these birds.

STT757

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:39 pm

VC10er wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I didn’t fly at all in 2020, the first time I went a year without a flight since I was a kid. My Wife and I got vaccinated and took our daughter to Disney for Spring Break. Had a great time, get your vaccine and start traveling.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

LAXintl

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Two GUM 73Us will enter the domestic system.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MohawkWeekend

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Does anyone know (or can they share) what the CASM for a CRJ-550 is vs a 737-700 or 319?
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

ChaseP

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 am

The baggage system that is being replaced was original to the airport when it opened in 1969. It was originally designed to handle mail. From my understanding, it was a mixture of the system being wildly outdated and the capacity not being where it needs to be. United is constructing a above ground baggage storage system that can hold 3,000+ bags in cold storage until it's time for their flights.

alasizon wrote:
    ChaseP wrote:

I'm not familiar with the IAH BHS limitations, was it a processing issue or simply a space available for carts issue?

ChaseP

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 am

Storage Update:
    N872UA (Airbus 319) en route from NRT to ANC (UA2714/11) for fleet entry after induction at XMN.
    N222UA (Boeing 777-200ER) scheduled to ferry from SFO to ROW (UA2705/10) for storage. *Flight is delayed until 4/11 due to message appearing on EICAS during takeoff roll*
    N792UA (Boeing 777-200ER) ferried from EWR to VCV (UA2704/10) for storage.
    N798UA (Boeing 777-200ER) ferried from HNL to VCV (UA2714/09) for storage.

Pinto

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 am

LAXintl wrote:

What are there fleet numbers?

Also is UA pretty much going to kill GUM, that will leave only 6 aircraft.

Scarebus34

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:00 am

Pinto wrote:
    LAXintl wrote:

It's allegedly temporary.

Seating configuration is the same. However, some differences are Japanese translations instead of Spanish. No WiFi, No Streaming entertainment. It does have seat back entertainment with pre-loaded movies. Seats 1A&B have footrests and extended recline (which will not be used) as they are pilot crew rest seats.

dmstorm22

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:25 am

STT757 wrote:
    I didn’t fly at all in 2020, the first time I went a year without a flight since I was a kid. My Wife and I got vaccinated and took our daughter to Disney for Spring Break. Had a great time, get your vaccine and start traveling.

Been straight cold turkey since March 13th, 2020. Breaking the spell on Thursday with a post-vax trip to PHX with teh gf.

Honestly think I might tear up when the plane rolls down the runway.

LGeneReese

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:42 am

Pinto wrote:
    LAXintl wrote:

The 73U show as ships 0278-0282 the two in question might be 0278 and 0281... maybe..
    Formerly IAHCSR

Pinto

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 am

LGeneReese wrote:
    Pinto wrote:
    LAXintl wrote:

The 73U show as ships 0278-0282 the two in question might be 0278 and 0281... maybe..

So out of curiosity what is UA plan for Guam. While they are the only US carriers to serve there, are they really just going to wait and see? I know they don't have to defend it but it seems like ever since that bug draw down where they cut a bunch of routes they are just killing it.

Would love to hear any insight people might have.

VC10er

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 am

Thanks a trillion for the extensive and detailed response to my post. The time you put into it is not lost on me! I really appreciate it.

The thing I wonder about more than what will happen in the next few years- what I think about often (as a life long New Yorker) is what will happen 10+ years out at. JFK,, EWR & LGA! Will 2031 have the same amount of gates and runways, and will demand way exceed what the these airports have today? Larger aircraft is a partial answer but what is the very long term thinking?

And I have been gone a whole year from a.net: has UA decided when to start the very fast retrofits to Polaris and PE? Is there further discussion on the A350’s? Any talk of 787-9/10 top off orders? Does UA hint at anything very new in any way?

MAJOR Renovation of IAD? EWR & NYC infrastructure? If High J 767’s are retired what would be the High J replacement? After the A321XLR’s arrive plus Flat Bed First on those and X number of 737MAX-10 - could a very high J 737MAX be capable of doing “some” Western EU given reduced pax numbers -
    Apologies as I am a novice regarding a crazy idea: Could an ALL J and PE only 737MAX-10 could be something very exciting to see UA doing more as an International version of a C550? I guess it’s for my bedtime!
    To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Golfmikey

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 am

LGeneReese wrote:
    CALTECH wrote:

12X- 787-8s

36X- 787-9s

787-10 I’ve seen Ships 1015-1019 showing LNs 1131,32,34,36, and 1138. How accurate this info is a good Q.

A319 If I understand correctly the 20 UA are acquiring from EasyJet(U2) will now be resold or parted out.

I think the 787-10 info is pretty solid based on Boeing’s new production rates of 5 787s a month I expect ship 14 Ln 1114 to be delivered in July or August. And ships 15-19 in November and December...what I’m not sure about is how many 737 max 8s we will get this year or when they will come on property.

Opus99

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 am

CALTECH wrote:

12X- 787-8s

36X- 787-9s

25? I thought UA only had 21 in total. Was there an increase?

calpsafltskeds

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:06 pm

Regarding GUM, the fleet has been at 8 total units for a while. UA had placed the 3 73Gs in storage in July (ROW), Jan (ROW) and Mar(GYR).
    Right now there are 5 738s in GUM and they rotate flying with at least 1 or 2 parked in GUM on a daily basis.
    Usually UA routes the fleet in and out of GUM after a few years due to the constant Pacific sea air. So, UA may bring 2 738s back to the mainland and replace them with other 738s when demand returns. Anyone's guess about the return of the 73Gs.

codc10

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
    jayunited wrote:
    jbs2886 wrote:

Although it will be an entirely common-use facility, UA will have the largest gate footprint at T1/TA. That hasn’t changed. The PANYNJ is not looking at 2020-2021 as a permanent state of affairs in terms of airline schedules.

The alarmism over COVID-era airline network planning is a bit overstated.

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
    joeljack wrote:
    LAXdude1023 wrote:

Anything noteworthy?

Looks like they did some SFO updates? All I can find for updates are for SFO.

They must be expecting SFO to remain depressed well into the Summer.

They look like they are resuming:
    TPA
    DFW
    CLE
    BNA
    BOS
    STS

But in June they are still not operating any of these SFO routes, some of which are understandable given the stage length and market size, but others are surprising:
    DCA
    BWI
    FLL
    PHL
    MIA
    ATL
    MSP
    RDU
    DTW
    IND
    STL
    MCI
    PIT
    CMH
    SAT
    MSY
    RAP
    XNA
    MSN
    OKC
    MRY
    OMA
    BUR

Interesting...it looks like some of these were rolled forward, and return with fewer frequencies (obviously):

Still July 1st:
    BUR
    MRY
    BWI
    FLL
    PHL
    RDU
    IND
    PIT
    CMH
    SAT

Pushed to Aug 1st/2nd:
    STL
    MCI
    OMA
    XNA
    OKC
    DCA
    ATL
    MSP

Pushed to Sep 8th:
    MSY
    MSN
    MIA

Removed:
    RAP (seasonal flight)
    ORD & IND

AA & DL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos