Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 17
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 pm

psa1011 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:

I would not trust much in the way of any domestic schedule past 6/2 at this point.

I wouldn't trust ANY part of the schedule past 6/2 at all.


I think my question still stands about why some of these UA leisure routes haven't already resumed prior to 6/2.



Without naming the specific leisure routes you are referring to it is going to be extremely hard to offer you any type of answer.

The general answer to you question would be to first take a look at COVID restrictions that either are in place or perhaps were just lifted. Some leisure destinations are just coming out of a pretty hard lockdown and it takes time for those destinations to really come back. Ever since July of 2020 the leisure destinations that have seen sustained demand are destinations that never really put any hard restrictions in place, which is why you need to be more specific.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 am

STT757 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Where is this hangar complex exactly?


Image
https://i.ibb.co/fDsW1X8/hangar.png


I was watching a YouTube video of a flight leaving LAX, the new hangar looked huge.



I toured the old Cal facility years ago, several DC10’s and 747 Classics were being worked on inside, it was impressive then, is this new hangar larger ?

And what’s going to happen with the old one ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
User avatar
psa1011
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 am

jayunited wrote:
psa1011 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
I wouldn't trust ANY part of the schedule past 6/2 at all.


I think my question still stands about why some of these UA leisure routes haven't already resumed prior to 6/2.



Without naming the specific leisure routes you are referring to it is going to be extremely hard to offer you any type of answer.

The general answer to you question would be to first take a look at COVID restrictions that either are in place or perhaps were just lifted. Some leisure destinations are just coming out of a pretty hard lockdown and it takes time for those destinations to really come back. Ever since July of 2020 the leisure destinations that have seen sustained demand are destinations that never really put any hard restrictions in place, which is why you need to be more specific.


I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8634
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:55 am

psa1011 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
psa1011 wrote:

I think my question still stands about why some of these UA leisure routes haven't already resumed prior to 6/2.



Without naming the specific leisure routes you are referring to it is going to be extremely hard to offer you any type of answer.

The general answer to you question would be to first take a look at COVID restrictions that either are in place or perhaps were just lifted. Some leisure destinations are just coming out of a pretty hard lockdown and it takes time for those destinations to really come back. Ever since July of 2020 the leisure destinations that have seen sustained demand are destinations that never really put any hard restrictions in place, which is why you need to be more specific.


I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.


I hope I’m wrong, but I think that they will be some of the last domestic markets to be added back. Demand (for all airlines) is stronger in the interior hubs than the coastal markets, and with demand to SFO so diminished I think UA will focus on serving these “secondary” markets via DEN and IAH from the West Coast. The downside, of course, is that you are then competing for the same flows as AA via DFW and DL via ATL.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
psa1011
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:21 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
psa1011 wrote:
jayunited wrote:


Without naming the specific leisure routes you are referring to it is going to be extremely hard to offer you any type of answer.

The general answer to you question would be to first take a look at COVID restrictions that either are in place or perhaps were just lifted. Some leisure destinations are just coming out of a pretty hard lockdown and it takes time for those destinations to really come back. Ever since July of 2020 the leisure destinations that have seen sustained demand are destinations that never really put any hard restrictions in place, which is why you need to be more specific.



I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.


I hope I’m wrong, but I think that they will be some of the last domestic markets to be added back. Demand (for all airlines) is stronger in the interior hubs than the coastal markets, and with demand to SFO so diminished I think UA will focus on serving these “secondary” markets via DEN and IAH from the West Coast. The downside, of course, is that you are then competing for the same flows as AA via DFW and DL via ATL.



I think you're right. In the meantime AS is flying routes like SFO-TPA without any resistance from UA.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:55 am

psa1011 wrote:

I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.


Well we know Florida has remained opened for most of the pandemic and was hit hard but is on the rebound, the problem is lack of demand from SFO.

Earlier in this thread I noted EWR would be averaging 203 daily departures by the second half of May. It is slow going from the coastal hubs and EWR has been outperforming SFO in load factors and capacity throughout much of this pandemic. Looking ahead to April and first 2 weeks of May SFO will average 100 daily departures while LAX will average 69 daily departures. In the second half of May SFO should average 118 daily departures while LAX will increase to a daily average of 91 departures. Throughout this pandemic at least for United (I can't speak for other carriers) but there have been quite a few weeks where our daily and even weekly revenue passenger counts out of LAX have exceeded those at SFO and we are operating less flights out of LAX.

I don't want to make any assumptions because who knows what will happen. However at this point if we average it out LAX is performing better than SFO while operating less flights than SFO. These numbers can change and with the entire Bay Area now at least partially reopen UA's revenue passenger numbers at SFO's should improve. I remember last May and June United was only operating 9 passenger flights out of LAX, United went from 157 daily flights at LAX down to just 9 flights everyday for two months. We were operating more cargo only flights out of LAX than we were revenue passenger flights that's how bad the situation was for UA at LAX. I don't know how or why LAX at times during this pandemic has performed better than SFO for UA even though if you just look at the total number of flights it would appear as though SFO is outperforming LAX.

We are seeing our revenue passenger numbers improve in New York things are starting to get better in the Bay Area but it will take time. United operated 450 flights out of EWR pre-pandemic and we operated 333 flights out of SFO pre-pandemic It is entirely possible that United may not get back to those pre-pandemic numbers at these hubs until summer or even the fall of 2022, whereas DEN will be back at 100% by July and IAH won't be that far behind.
 
User avatar
ChaseP
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:23 am

Storage Update:
N795UA (Boeing 777-200ER) is scheduled to ferry from EWR to ROW (UA2703/02) for storage.

Paint Update:
N641UA (Boeing 767-300ER) is scheduled to ferry from ORD to VCV (UA2759/02) for EvoBlue painting.
N664UA (Boeing 767-300ER) is scheduled to ferry from VCV to IAH (UA2726/02) with EvoBlue paint.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25248
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 am

Keep in mind coastal hubs like EWR, IAD and SFO are reliant on international traffic and the connecting flow it generates to support domestic flying.

With longhaul international flying largely suspended, these hubs will obviously be limited in the volume of domestic flying they can support on their own even without a pandemic.

For SFO specifically, as I recall something like 50% of UA enplanements were connecting flow pre-pandemic.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5278
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 am

LAXintl wrote:
Keep in mind coastal hubs like EWR, IAD and SFO are reliant on international traffic and the connecting flow it generates to support domestic flying.

With longhaul international flying largely suspended, these hubs will obviously be limited in the volume of domestic flying they can support on their own even without a pandemic.

For SFO specifically, as I recall something like 50% of UA enplanements were connecting flow pre-pandemic.

It doesn’t mean those international travelers won’t travel domestically this summer instead
 
Pinto
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 am

32andBelow wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Keep in mind coastal hubs like EWR, IAD and SFO are reliant on international traffic and the connecting flow it generates to support domestic flying.

With longhaul international flying largely suspended, these hubs will obviously be limited in the volume of domestic flying they can support on their own even without a pandemic.

For SFO specifically, as I recall something like 50% of UA enplanements were connecting flow pre-pandemic.

It doesn’t mean those international travelers won’t travel domestically this summer instead


You are thinking in regards to those connections being US citizens, however I would guess that a majority of those connections are not US citizens
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 am

jayunited wrote:
psa1011 wrote:

I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.


Well we know Florida has remained opened for most of the pandemic and was hit hard but is on the rebound, the problem is lack of demand from SFO.

Earlier in this thread I noted EWR would be averaging 203 daily departures by the second half of May. It is slow going from the coastal hubs and EWR has been outperforming SFO in load factors and capacity throughout much of this pandemic. Looking ahead to April and first 2 weeks of May SFO will average 100 daily departures while LAX will average 69 daily departures. In the second half of May SFO should average 118 daily departures while LAX will increase to a daily average of 91 departures. Throughout this pandemic at least for United (I can't speak for other carriers) but there have been quite a few weeks where our daily and even weekly revenue passenger counts out of LAX have exceeded those at SFO and we are operating less flights out of LAX.

I don't want to make any assumptions because who knows what will happen. However at this point if we average it out LAX is performing better than SFO while operating less flights than SFO. These numbers can change and with the entire Bay Area now at least partially reopen UA's revenue passenger numbers at SFO's should improve. I remember last May and June United was only operating 9 passenger flights out of LAX, United went from 157 daily flights at LAX down to just 9 flights everyday for two months. We were operating more cargo only flights out of LAX than we were revenue passenger flights that's how bad the situation was for UA at LAX. I don't know how or why LAX at times during this pandemic has performed better than SFO for UA even though if you just look at the total number of flights it would appear as though SFO is outperforming LAX.

We are seeing our revenue passenger numbers improve in New York things are starting to get better in the Bay Area but it will take time. United operated 450 flights out of EWR pre-pandemic and we operated 333 flights out of SFO pre-pandemic It is entirely possible that United may not get back to those pre-pandemic numbers at these hubs until summer or even the fall of 2022, whereas DEN will be back at 100% by July and IAH won't be that far behind.


Is the 100% at Denver by July referencing total flight count or to January 2020 nonatop destination/banks/?

Definitely makes sense for that to be the first hub to reach that milestone
 
NewYork1K
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:26 pm

Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm

sldispatcher wrote:

Is the 100% at Denver by July referencing total flight count or to January 2020 nonatop destination/banks/?

Definitely makes sense for that to be the first hub to reach that milestone



Total flight count and to support this effort like I stated earlier UA is now hiring off the street in DEN for both ramp and C.S. although the C.S. openings have closed.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6321
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:33 pm

NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


Im assuming whatever it is will have to do with Houston since hes filming it here.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
tphuang
Posts: 6165
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 pm

psa1011 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
psa1011 wrote:


I mentioned above: SFO-MSY/FLL/TPA. It could be things are just slow to return in some markets.


I hope I’m wrong, but I think that they will be some of the last domestic markets to be added back. Demand (for all airlines) is stronger in the interior hubs than the coastal markets, and with demand to SFO so diminished I think UA will focus on serving these “secondary” markets via DEN and IAH from the West Coast. The downside, of course, is that you are then competing for the same flows as AA via DFW and DL via ATL.



I think you're right. In the meantime AS is flying routes like SFO-TPA without any resistance from UA.


AS is only flying SFO-TPA 2x weekly until May and then it stops after that. AS doesn't have middle of the country hubs that allow it to easily take passengers from west coast to Florida. So, it would have to shuffle everyone through SEA when it cancels the flight. UA or any of the other big 4 don't have that problem. That's why you will see AS try certain thin transcon markets that UA might not try. Especially during a time when they don't have a TPAC flight to connect to. There is so little demand from Bay Area to central Florida that AS is not even flying SFO-MCO after April.
 
User avatar
psa1011
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 pm

tphuang wrote:
psa1011 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I hope I’m wrong, but I think that they will be some of the last domestic markets to be added back. Demand (for all airlines) is stronger in the interior hubs than the coastal markets, and with demand to SFO so diminished I think UA will focus on serving these “secondary” markets via DEN and IAH from the West Coast. The downside, of course, is that you are then competing for the same flows as AA via DFW and DL via ATL.



I think you're right. In the meantime AS is flying routes like SFO-TPA without any resistance from UA.


AS is only flying SFO-TPA 2x weekly until May and then it stops after that. AS doesn't have middle of the country hubs that allow it to easily take passengers from west coast to Florida. So, it would have to shuffle everyone through SEA when it cancels the flight. UA or any of the other big 4 don't have that problem. That's why you will see AS try certain thin transcon markets that UA might not try. Especially during a time when they don't have a TPAC flight to connect to. There is so little demand from Bay Area to central Florida that AS is not even flying SFO-MCO after April.


Thanks for the great explanation. I could also go down the B6 rabbit hole and ask what UA is doing to respond to their starting SFO-CUN/RDU/AUS/MCO etc but that can be for another thread.
 
UA857
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 pm

How long will the PW 777 fleet be grounded?
 
codc10
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 pm

UA857 wrote:
How long will the PW 777 fleet be grounded?


A while. Nobody really knows.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25248
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:30 am

The PW 777 fleet will be moved to Roswell. Will allow tech-ops consolidate the fleet in one place.

Max Q wrote:

I toured the old Cal facility years ago, several DC10’s and 747 Classics were being worked on inside, it was impressive then, is this new hangar larger ?

And what’s going to happen with the old one ?


The former CO complex is larger consisting of multiple hangars and workshops attached to the former CO corporate office and training facility from the days when CO was based at LAX.

The new hangar will be able to fit 6 narrowbodies, or 2 category E widebodies along with stores and shops, including an engine build-up and ground service equipment shops, training facility, admin offices etc. Will allow UA to finally consolidate its LAX tech-ops under one roof.

Old CO facility will revert to LAWA which will likely tear it down. AA has the option of building a hangar on the space once its super-bay hangar lease expires soon.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:39 am

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N11189 (ex-EV) ferried IAH for transfer to CommutAir

CR2:
N965SW entered ROW for paint
N962SW exited ROW in EvoBlu livery

CR7:
N506MJ ferried STL for CR5 conversion

CR5:
N502MJ entered service with GoJet
N507MJ entered service with GoJet
40 total CR5s in fleet as at today
 
sfojvjets
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:00 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:22 am

psa1011 wrote:
Thanks for the great explanation. I could also go down the B6 rabbit hole and ask what UA is doing to respond to their starting SFO-CUN/RDU/AUS/MCO etc but that can be for another thread.


I honestly don't think UA is paying them much (or any) attention from SFO. Right now, B6 is making moves especially in EWR and that's what's most affecting UA's operations, so that's where we've seen the most response from UA. From SFO, as of this moment, B6's adds really do not seem to matter in UA's eyes. I'll try to break each route down individually - but keep in mind that UA's summer schedules are not at all to be trusted. So I won't compare any frequencies between B6/UA. B6, on the other hand, seems to already have a very modest schedule in place for this summer... their schedule seems more reliable atm even though it's not finalized.

SFO-CUN has been doing decently for B6 especially during spring break, but it's not even a daily operation. It's twice weekly and ends mid-April before returning as daily on May 6th. It was previously scheduled for twice daily starting June, but it looks like it's been pulled down to daily until early September. We'll see if that stays. Not much to see here, as US-Mexico travel will be booming and 1x daily won't be putting any sort of squeeze on UA.

SFO-RDU has been pushed back and pushed back again and really weakened. It's now cut down to a bare-bones twice weekly the entire summer... it's basically inconsequential.

SFO-AUS is now at 4x weekly the entire summer, very low frequency and won't make a dent.

SFO-MCO is scheduled for 3x weekly starting June until September. Traditionally, UA has flown multiple dailies to MCO and I'm sure this will stay somewhat constant, so again, nothing to see here.

SFO-BDL is interesting, there's definitely a market there as UA themselves tried it (daily, seasonal I think?) but cut it a couple of years ago. Really, the only thing B6 is doing is taking away pax that previously would've been flying thru BOS, and this is probably why UA cut SFO-BDL in favor of just flying through BOS to streamline ops.

SFO-LAX is planned for thrice daily this summer... say what now?! IIRC it was among the lowest LF's systemwide when they started the route late last year at twice daily. No wonder they suspended it till this summer, but they have still got the wrong idea. They will definitely be crushed in this market by UA, AS, Skywest, WN, whoever, you name it. 3x daily isn't gonna cut it and people who were previously loyal to them at LGB will not be driving to LAX just to fly them up the coast, hence, they have 0 loyalty on this route, just like many other of the aforementioned ones, where it's applicable.

SFO-EWR is interesting but I'm not sure what to make of it, given that UA is so dominant on SFO transcons. B6 has carved out a market for itself especially with mint at JFK though, and they've already found success at EWR-LAX, so UA might need to take this seriously. Haven't seen them do anything in response to this though, and given B6's poor results on EWR-SFO in contrast to their success on EWR-LAX, I'm still not convinced they actually need to do anything as of yet.

Anyway, the "bottom line" on most of these adds with these current frequencies is that B6 will not have any relevancy in these markets by opening these routes with schedules at a fraction of the frequency that other carriers have historically operated. (except for BDL, which was unserved). Newark is the only other interesting one...
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 am

psa1011 wrote:

Thanks for the great explanation. I could also go down the B6 rabbit hole and ask what UA is doing to respond to their starting SFO-CUN/RDU/AUS/MCO etc but that can be for another thread.


There is no need to go down a rabbit hole all one has to do a little bit of research and they could find the answer.

United has been flying SFO-CUN 1x daily Sunday through Friday and 2x daily on Saturday. B6's service in April is only 1x weekly on the route.
United operates SFO-AUS 2x daily Thursday through Monday and 1x daily Tuesday and Wednesday. B6 in April only operats 4x weekly.
United operates SFO-MCO 5x weekly, B6 doesn't fly SFO-MCO at all during April and I don't see any flights first two weeks of May.
Not a single airline operates SFO-RDU for the month of April it has been pulled from the schedule. In May B6 is scheduled to operate the route 2x weekly not really a strong showing only time will tell if they actually launch the route. B6 was supposed to launch 1x daily SFO-RDU route last November and they've continued to delay the launch of the route.

When the pandemic first started B6 proudly stated they would operate SFO-CUN 2x daily and before they even launched the route they trimmed it down 1x daily, then reduced the route again to 5x weekly. During spring break they did not operate SFO-CUN daily at all the flight remained 5x or 4x weekly. Now that spring break is winding down the flight is yet again being reduced to just 1x weekly. There is a big difference in 2x daily and 1x weekly the route didn't pan out the way B6 had hoped. At this point in time B6 poses no threat to United and of the routes mentioned that B6 is actually flying United already has more capacity. I'm not coming at B6 they have done a great job during this pandemic but right now none of their plans for SFO have really gone according to their original plan. Case in point they still have not managed to launch EWR-SFO a route slated to launch in July of 2020.

None of this is JetBlue's fault but you brought them up. What this shows people is you can not manufacture demand where it doesn't exist, and the Bay Area has been deeply impacted by this pandemic which in turn has impacted demand for travel from the Bay Area.
 
Golfmikey
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:41 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 am

789:
N28987 going to start it’s journey to XMN tomorrow for Polaris.
 
codc10
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:13 am

Golfmikey wrote:
789:
N28987 going to start it’s journey to XMN tomorrow for Polaris.


I think that's an error. It's going ORD-SFO tomorrow for induction, as of now. UAL2702 GUM-XMN is now showing as canceled and there's no SFO-GUM leg for that airplane.

That's the latest 787 on property and Polaris is installed at the factory.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:17 am

NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:32 am

CALMSP wrote:
NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3573
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:51 am

rjbesikof wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.


There doesn't seem to be any available frequencies for U.S. to Ecuador flights, so United would have to shift some IAH-UIO frequencies to GYE if they'd like to launch that route.

Isn't IAH going through some construction? Are any of the projects nearing completion?
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:37 am

rjbesikof wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.

It's definitely not a new route announcement.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:50 am

[twoid][/twoid]
codc10 wrote:
Golfmikey wrote:
789:
N28987 going to start it’s journey to XMN tomorrow for Polaris.


I think that's an error. It's going ORD-SFO tomorrow for induction, as of now. UAL2702 GUM-XMN is now showing as canceled and there's no SFO-GUM leg for that airplane.

That's the latest 787 on property and Polaris is installed at the factory.


Polaris was not installed on this bird at the factory it will be going to XMN for induction and Polaris.

Yes it’s weird.....yes I know why.....no I’m not at liberty to say why.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7574
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 am

Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.


There doesn't seem to be any available frequencies for U.S. to Ecuador flights, so United would have to shift some IAH-UIO frequencies to GYE if they'd like to launch that route.

Isn't IAH going through some construction? Are any of the projects nearing completion?

Is the new baggage system in IAH complete?

It won't happen but I'd love to see CSC moved to Houston. A boy can dream...
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:46 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.


There doesn't seem to be any available frequencies for U.S. to Ecuador flights, so United would have to shift some IAH-UIO frequencies to GYE if they'd like to launch that route.

Isn't IAH going through some construction? Are any of the projects nearing completion?

Is the new baggage system in IAH complete?

It won't happen but I'd love to see CSC moved to Houston. A boy can dream...


There are talks of the NOC moving.... not necessarily Houston, but somewhere.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8634
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:13 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


IAH-GYE would be an obvious one. Could give AA at MIA a run for its money. Plus, Ecuador is open to vaccinated tourists.

It's definitely not a new route announcement.


I definitely agree. I have no inside knowledge, but you don’t roll out the CEO to announce one route to Ecuador. What’s intriguing is that it is in Houston, not Chicago. Presumably something infrastructure related? If it was product related, corporate/shareholder related etc they would probably just do the announcement from Chicago
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
captavgeek
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:17 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:36 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Polaris was not installed on this bird at the factory it will be going to XMN for induction and Polaris.

Yes it’s weird.....yes I know why.....no I’m not at liberty to say why.


I'm guessing it's a seat supplier issue and the plane was delivered without Business class installed. Not the first time, the first few 77W tails were delivered like that and seats were installed by an MRO.
 
codc10
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm

CALMSP wrote:
NewYork1K wrote:
Kirby teasing some sort of "meaningful announcement" next week... https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLQGQ8BhCC/


if it has to do with actual TV, I'm guessing its not gonna be something that meaningful. I'd say its nothing to do with new routes, but probably some sort of cleaning or new "business" motto.


Definitely something marketing-related. I know United is launching a pandemic recovery campaign entitled "Return to New", so I suspect this is part of that effort which will be rolling out over the next few weeks.

CriticalPoint wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
codc10 wrote:
Golfmikey wrote:
789:
N28987 going to start it’s journey to XMN tomorrow for Polaris.


I think that's an error. It's going ORD-SFO tomorrow for induction, as of now. UAL2702 GUM-XMN is now showing as canceled and there's no SFO-GUM leg for that airplane.

That's the latest 787 on property and Polaris is installed at the factory.


Polaris was not installed on this bird at the factory it will be going to XMN for induction and Polaris.

Yes it’s weird.....yes I know why.....no I’m not at liberty to say why.


Very interesting... will keep an eye on that one...
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

There are talks of the NOC moving.... not necessarily Houston, but somewhere.


A final decision on what to do with the NOC (Willis Tower) won't be made for some time. With Elk Grove having seen its last day in operation, Arlington Heights has been stood up full time. However Arlington Heights is still technically classified as the BNOC, or Backup Network Operations Center. Before United can even think about leaving Willis for good or at the very least get the NOC out of Willis United would first need to find a new location then Arlington Heights would either transition from BNOC to NOC or it would remain BNOC and the new location would become the NOC. From what I've heard United learned some hard lessons in 2020 when Mayor Lightfoot completely shut down downtown by raising all the bridges for over a week and the Willis Tower flood and we will continue to run split NOC operations between Willis and Arlington for the next 4-5 years.

Even though United has officially closed all facilities in Elk Grove except for the data center I do not know if United has actually sold the land or if the plan is to tear down the existing structures at Elk Grove and build a whole new state of the art facility. In my opinion the Elk Grove Village location is the perfect location for United's to build an all new state of the art NOC and it is close enough to O'Hare that employees and business partners who come in from various locations wouldn't need to travel all the way downtown which is such a waste and time consuming.

However moving the NOC is Houston from my understanding has already been shut down. If you want to hear something crazy I've heard (rumor) there are those who are floating the idea of moving the NOC to Denver, United already owns a lot of land out there and flight ops training is located in DEN, however this one thing I'm almost positive about it is United's time at Willis Tower will come to an end probably before the end of this decade.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:50 pm

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

There are talks of the NOC moving.... not necessarily Houston, but somewhere.


A final decision on what to do with the NOC (Willis Tower) won't be made for some time. With Elk Grove having seen its last day in operation, Arlington Heights has been stood up full time. However Arlington Heights is still technically classified as the BNOC, or Backup Network Operations Center. Before United can even think about leaving Willis for good or at the very least get the NOC out of Willis United would first need to find a new location then Arlington Heights would either transition from BNOC to NOC or it would remain BNOC and the new location would become the NOC. From what I've heard United learned some hard lessons in 2020 when Mayor Lightfoot completely shut down downtown by raising all the bridges for over a week and the Willis Tower flood and we will continue to run split NOC operations between Willis and Arlington for the next 4-5 years.

Even though United has officially closed all facilities in Elk Grove except for the data center I do not know if United has actually sold the land or if the plan is to tear down the existing structures at Elk Grove and build a whole new state of the art facility. In my opinion the Elk Grove Village location is the perfect location for United's to build an all new state of the art NOC and it is close enough to O'Hare that employees and business partners who come in from various locations wouldn't need to travel all the way downtown which is such a waste and time consuming.

However moving the NOC is Houston from my understanding has already been shut down. If you want to hear something crazy I've heard (rumor) there are those who are floating the idea of moving the NOC to Denver, United already owns a lot of land out there and flight ops training is located in DEN, however this one thing I'm almost positive about it is United's time at Willis Tower will come to an end probably before the end of this decade.

I don't think the Denver rumor is crazy at all... it's actually welcomed by quite a few. The agreement with the city in regards to staffing an operations center at Willis Tower ends in February 2022. United already tried to pull the plug on the Willis NOC last summer but was told no by the City due to the agreement. We'll see how this plays out but my bet is on it moving sooner rather than later.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:57 am

Anyone have hub by hub LFs for this weekend? I know the system avg for yesterday was 88%.
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 am

captavgeek wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Polaris was not installed on this bird at the factory it will be going to XMN for induction and Polaris.

Yes it’s weird.....yes I know why.....no I’m not at liberty to say why.


I'm guessing it's a seat supplier issue and the plane was delivered without Business class installed. Not the first time, the first few 77W tails were delivered like that and seats were installed by an MRO.

Is this true of N19986 as well ?
Formerly IAHCSR
 
User avatar
ChaseP
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 am

Maintenance Update:
N813UA (Airbus 319) ferried from LCQ to IAH (UA2691/02) after heavy maintenance. Aircraft did not receive 12F seating upgrade.
N464UA (Airbus 320) ferried from IAH to LCQ (UA2763/03) for heavy maintenance.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 pm

This post will pretty much just reiterate my point from last week so I’m sorry in advance!

EWR today was beyond jammed. I’m taking shoulder to shoulder in lots of sections. My flight was also 100% sold out. Unfortunately, yet again I noticed many confused and frustrated passengers and agents. I really like how they split all the different check in counters into sections but lots of customers don’t really understand it. The signage is so small that if your not looking for it, you’ll walk right by. The ground staff is very obviously annoyed with passengers getting confused. I also noticed a lot of the Caribbean gate areas were super full so that’s a positive.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:39 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
captavgeek wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Polaris was not installed on this bird at the factory it will be going to XMN for induction and Polaris.

Yes it’s weird.....yes I know why.....no I’m not at liberty to say why.


I'm guessing it's a seat supplier issue and the plane was delivered without Business class installed. Not the first time, the first few 77W tails were delivered like that and seats were installed by an MRO.

Is this true of N19986 as well ?



No it is not, only 987
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:32 pm

I would be shocked if they ended up moving out of downtown. One reason why UA began moving downtown years ago (outside of the tax breaks to keep HQ in Chicago) was to attract younger, new talent. Trying to sell a suburban office environment was not getting the younger new crowd in comparison to everyone else in the loop. UA tried to move cargo out to Elk Grove and that didn't sit well with the employees.
 
mmahpeel
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

What’s intriguing is that it is in Houston, not Chicago. Presumably something infrastructure related? If it was product related, corporate/shareholder related etc they would probably just do the announcement from Chicago



While it could have something to do with Houston, just because it is filmed there doesn't really give a clue as to what the subject will be.

If I'm not mistaken, Kirby still lives somewhere in the DFW area - and several if not a few dozen internal videos that Kirby has been in the past few years (mostly targeted to the employees of United) - have been filmed at various locations at IAH. The subjects of these videos have rarely been IAH specific. The proximity of his home to IAH (relative to Chicago) seems to have been a driving factor in these.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5974
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:09 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:



While it could have something to do with Houston, just because it is filmed there doesn't really give a clue as to what the subject will be.

If I'm not mistaken, Kirby still lives somewhere in the DFW area - and several if not a few dozen internal videos that Kirby has been in the past few years (mostly targeted to the employees of United) - have been filmed at various locations at IAH. The subjects of these videos have rarely been IAH specific. The proximity of his home to IAH (relative to Chicago) seems to have been a driving factor in these.


Probably has multiple homes, can't imagine he's running a company and doesn't have a home in the hq city.

Ed over at Delta has 3 homes, pretty sure in MIA, ATL, & SLC.
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
jayunited
Posts: 3356
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:58 pm

CALMSP wrote:
I would be shocked if they ended up moving out of downtown. One reason why UA began moving downtown years ago (outside of the tax breaks to keep HQ in Chicago) was to attract younger, new talent. Trying to sell a suburban office environment was not getting the younger new crowd in comparison to everyone else in the loop. UA tried to move cargo out to Elk Grove and that didn't sit well with the employees.



You might want to prepare yourself to be shocked because the writing on on the wall United at some point before this decade is over will leave downtown Chicago. This experiment has run its course its winding down. I'm not saying this because I live in suburbs I live in the city but after last years riots that shut down downtown Chicago twice (Lightfoot raising the bridges no access into downtown), the Willis Tower flood which plunged the building into darkness for over a month, and other security related issues I can tell you United has had enough. And that is not rumor that is a 100% fact United has had it with the operational disruptions surrounding Willis Tower.

I don't think Arlington Height will be the new NOC location, I honestly believe Arlington Heights will remain BNOC, and personally I believe United will build a brand new facility from the ground up somewhere near O'Hare perhaps even on the same grounds the Elk Grove facility currently sits on. When anything goes wrong in the city downtown immediately becomes a flash point you can't run airline like this. If we had not been in a pandemic and had Elk Grove village up and running United would have been in a world of hurt last spring and summer. The only thing that saved this airline was the fact we were in a pandemic and were running a split operation thank to social distancing. Elk Grove Village and the employees who worked at that facility (now at Arlington) really stepped up to the plate to keep this airline running.
 
codc10
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Perhaps we might see certain executive/strategic functions retained in the urban environment, to the extent that remains desirable to attract talent, for prestige reasons, while operation-critical functions (like NOC) relocated to a more suburban location?

If this is part of a wholesale abandoning of downtown offices (due, in part, to social unrest), it’s like the late 60s all over again...
 
OscarAlphaKilo
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:13 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm

codc10 wrote:
Perhaps we might see certain executive/strategic functions retained in the urban environment, to the extent that remains desirable to attract talent, for prestige reasons, while operation-critical functions (like NOC) relocated to a more suburban location?


This... I think it’s safe to say departure from the Willis HQ/the loop are imminent, but staying downtown probably isn’t out of the question entirely. Obviously a lot of differences but McDonalds has shown success (especially on the attracting talent front) since they moved to the west loop from Oak Brook. Plenty of viable space outside the loop that would still attract the downtown talent pool for executive/corporate jobs.
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 pm

UAX Update:

E145XR:
N11189 entered service with CommutAir
N16170 (ex-EV) ferried IAH for transfer to CommutAir

CR7:
N510MJ ferried AMA for paint
N796SK ferried ROW for paint
 
User avatar
ChaseP
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 am

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:18 am

Storage Update:
N801UA (Airbus 319) scheduled to ferry from SFO to GYR (UA2746/05) for storage.

Maintenance Update:
N27724 (Boeing 737-700) entered IAH for heavy maintenance check.
N73299 (Boeing 737-800) exited IAH after heavy maintenance check. Awaiting first trip assignment.
N62849 (Boeing 737-900ER) entered IAH for heavy maintenance check.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Fleet, Network, and Discussion Thread - Q2 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:57 am

I think there was a dedicated thread but I can’t find it


Does UA intend to connect JFK with its other hubs or just run it as a transcon jfk sfo operation?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 17

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos