Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pentaprism

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2021

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 am

tullamarine wrote:
log0008 wrote:

VA are bringing back more 737s into its fleet and apparently its domestic capacity is now higher than it was pre-Covid. Of course, their overall network capacity is less given it no longer has any international presence for the time being.

REX are also trying to get in on the booming tourist markets and is apparently doing well over school holidays with their OOL services. It'll be interesting if they now try to move onto other markets such as CNS and PPP.

I am intrigued at what Virgin are doing, or going to do, with all this capacity. Some routes appear to have been permanently cut (eg HVB-SYD, SYD-CFS), others are still not running (MEL-DRW, SYD-DRW, SYD-TSV, SYD-CBR) and frequency between the 5 main Cities, especially PER, is only a fraction of what it was. As far as I know their ATR's are seeing little or no use, if they even still possess them.

At a very rough guess I would say they are carrying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Passengers on the Domestic network that they were pre-covid. So I find it very surprising to see statements like this claiming their domestic capacity is higher than pre-covid. I can only imagine they are going to resume NZ flights asap and use the additional 737's for that.

SCFlyer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:07 am

VA has long disposed of their ATRs.
However, ATRs still appear in the schedule for some VA CBR flights, which is 'speculated' at this stage to be replaced by F100 or F70s from Alliance.

ben175

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 am

Pentaprism wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
log0008 wrote:

VA are bringing back more 737s into its fleet and apparently its domestic capacity is now higher than it was pre-Covid. Of course, their overall network capacity is less given it no longer has any international presence for the time being.

REX are also trying to get in on the booming tourist markets and is apparently doing well over school holidays with their OOL services. It'll be interesting if they now try to move onto other markets such as CNS and PPP.

I am intrigued at what Virgin are doing, or going to do, with all this capacity. Some routes appear to have been permanently cut (eg HVB-SYD, SYD-CFS), others are still not running (MEL-DRW, SYD-DRW, SYD-TSV, SYD-CBR) and frequency between the 5 main Cities, especially PER, is only a fraction of what it was. As far as I know their ATR's are seeing little or no use, if they even still possess them.

At a very rough guess I would say they are carrying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Passengers on the Domestic network that they were pre-covid. So I find it very surprising to see statements like this claiming their domestic capacity is higher than pre-covid. I can only imagine they are going to resume NZ flights asap and use the additional 737's for that.

Frequency to PER seems to be gradually increasing as confidence in borders staying open grows - particularly last minute. I flew VA MEL-PER on Sunday, when I booked about a month ago there was only 3 flights - turned up at the airport and they had put on another 2 flights that day - including one leaving 30 minutes before my own.

Deano969

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am

Pentaprism wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
log0008 wrote:

From where they were pre covid they are down about 20 737s and the 6 a330s
So to bring back a few 737s would seem to be reasonable....

a320fan

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am

Joyce saying today that it’s highly likely the A380 fleet will return at QF, saying “once demand is there they are going to be good aircraft” and that the fleet can be reactivated in 3-6 months if international demand returns.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... R8cAH1aDg0

LTEN11

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am

a320fan wrote:
Joyce saying today that it’s highly likely the A380 fleet will return at QF, saying “once demand is there they are going to be good aircraft” and that the fleet can be reactivated in 3-6 months if international demand returns.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... R8cAH1aDg0

Yer, just like we'll be flying internationally on QF before the end of this year :sarcastic:

Pentaprism

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Deano969 wrote:
Pentaprism wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

So Deano969, you are saying they are down 20 737's and 6 A330's which sounds about right. And I think we can all agree the ATR's are gone.

OTOH Log0008 is saying their Domestic Capacity is higher than pre-covid! I don't have the numbers but the assertion they are down 20 737's and 6 A330's seems much more plausible to me than the idea they have increased capacity relative to pre-covid.

csturdiv

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 pm

I recently discovered a new little brewery near my house that I have been going to on Fridays after work. Recently they had a beer on tap called SFO. I ordered it and made a comment to the brewer that I loved the name. He then said that it is for his dad, the other brewer, who used to be a Qantas 747 pilot up until last year and flew the SYD-SFO-SYD route a lot. Going from aviation to a brewery career would've been my dream life.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Jetstar will bring 788 back into service on domestic routes, up to 5 frames primarily on SYD/MEL to CNS/OOL

https://twitter.com/exec_traveller/stat ... 16769?s=21

log0008

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 pm

qf789 wrote:
Jetstar will bring 788 back into service on domestic routes, up to 5 frames primarily on SYD/MEL to CNS/OOL

This might surprise a few here.

Also QF looking at 90% of pre covid levels by mid year. Following that they see QF doing 107% of pre covid levels and JQ 120%

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 57jce.html

Also airliners is mucking up the quoting system if people double quote, I never said VA was above pre-covid levels. I did previously point out that for the 737 fleet they have they are almost back to full utlisation.

tullamarine

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm

qf789 wrote:

Good news for domestic markets. QF,VA and JQ are all reporting booming markets to tourist destinations such as CNS, HTI, MCY, DRW and OOL. JH was interviewed this morning and said fleet would be fully occupied over June school holidays servicing domestic markets and she was comfortable with her decision to defer NZ until September though I thought it was originally October. Maybe it depends on how quickly the 10 reactivated 737s come back on-line.

The only potential downer are the prices some of the accommodation and rental car providers are now charging. I recently looked for a week at a 2 bedroom apartment on Cairns northern beaches or Port Douglas in September. Typical prices were north of $4000 per week. I understand that some are trying to recover last year's losses but it is not a way to build a long-term market and will drive consumers back to cheaper int'l destinations as soon as they can.

Rental cars are slightly different. Last year, lots of providers sold off their dormant fleets to make use of a booming secondhand vehicle market. Now, they are caught with insufficient capacity. Quoted price for a Camry for a week in Cairns in September was over $1000!!

tullamarine

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 pm

Another interesting part of the interview with JH was her comments about long-haul travel. She said it wasn't her top priority currently but when it does come back she is keen to target both US and Japan markets. It seems the battle of the Haneda slots may not be over yet!

SCFlyer

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:07 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Good news for domestic markets. QF,VA and JQ are all reporting booming markets to tourist destinations such as CNS, HTI, MCY, DRW and OOL. JH was interviewed this morning and said fleet would be fully occupied over June school holidays servicing domestic markets and she was comfortable with her decision to defer NZ until September though I thought it was originally October. Maybe it depends on how quickly the 10 reactivated 737s come back on-line.

Also keeping in mind VARA's A320s will be taking over some VA mainline services between WA/NT and SA, which should also free up at least 2-3 737s for services to/from (or along the) East Coast.

Obzerva

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 am

SCFlyer wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Also keeping in mind VARA's A320s will be taking over some VA mainline services between WA/NT and SA, which should also free up at least 2-3 737s for services to/from (or along the) East Coast.

I'll be interested to see if any more 737s get freed up by Alliance doing some of the flying, or whether they're purely going to be additional routes.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 am

With the domestic market booming and next phases to be near int'l markets such as NZ and Fiji that VA can service with its existing fleet, it may be that Bain has got VA very cheaply. The administration process has left them with very low debt and the ability to bring back fleet for less lease cost than previously paid. It has all the hallmarks of a big win for the private equity play. It may also mean that they partly cash out sooner rather than later whether it be via a trade sale or IPO.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 am

I'll be interested to see if any more 737s get freed up by Alliance doing some of the flying, or whether they're purely going to be additional routes.

You'd think current routes such as MEL-CBR and MEL-LST would be ideal candidates for Alliance's E90s but, as I understand it, the current ACCC approval covered a list of 40 routes. I'm not sure if they can go outside of this list without going back to ACCC.

Kent350787

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:53 am

tullamarine wrote:

You'd think current routes such as MEL-CBR and MEL-LST would be ideal candidates for Alliance's E90s but, as I understand it, the current ACCC approval covered a list of 40 routes. I'm not sure if they can go outside of this list without going back to ACCC.

SYD-CBR is on the list as well, but E90 may even be too much outside peak. Then again, it's a "modern" jet, but smaller than a 737 so could fit well in the minds of customers who've always preferrd jets over props on that route when given a choice.

VirginFlyer

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:37 am

Some welcome news from New Zealand's other international airline; if you go to the Air Chathams website there is a new picture on the front page linking to this:

We're heading back to Norfolk Island

Following the announcement of the trans-Tasman bubble, we're excited to announce that we're resuming flights to and from Norfolk Island from May 27th.

Our timetable has been adjusted to see us flying from New Zealand to Norfolk Island on Thursdays departing Auckland at 10:30am allowing easy connections from domestic flights. Flights will arrive back into Auckland at 4:45pm, again allowing for easy transit to destinations outside of Auckland.

We'll also be introducing a new aircraft type on this route - the Saab 340. If you've travelled between Auckland and Whanganui or Kapiti with us before, you'll have experienced the comfortable and spacious interior of this popular aircraft that will be flying with our famous inflight service of Tim Tams!

Norfolk Island, always a popular short-haul holiday escape for New Zealanders, has remained virus-free through the global pandemic and offers visitors everything needed to relax the mind, enjoy a special holiday and escape from crowds.

With safety and health on everyone's minds and, while the island continues to deliver outdoor, culinary, or historical experiences, there is even more of a focus now on wellbeing.

The island is an ideal spot for a retreat to relax and revive, reconnect to earth and oneself, enjoy nature and participate in adrenalin-rushing or soothing activity and adventure.

https://sh1.sendinblue.com/vdneggmett7e ... 1618455077

Additionally, they've announced a second weekly rotation on Mondays, starting on the 2nd of August. Exciting news for Norfolk Island!

V/F

tullamarine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:39 am

Here is a summary of the route expansions VA announced today:

New and extended seasonal services include:

Melbourne – Hamilton Island (3 flights per week from 08 June to 31 October)
Melbourne – Darwin (daily flights from 10 June to 31 October)
Brisbane – Launceston (4 flights per week from 17 June to 25 July) – seasonal extension
Melbourne – Ballina Byron Bay (5 flights per week from 09 June to 31 October) – seasonal extension
Brisbane – Queenstown (4 flights per week from 18 September)
Sydney – Queenstown (4 flights per week from 18 September)

Expanded frequencies include:

Sydney - Perth (up to 4 flights per day by 23 May)
Melbourne - Perth (up to 6 flights per day by 23 May)
Sydney - Adelaide (up to 5 flights per day by 23 May)
Melbourne – Adelaide (Up to 9 flights per day by 20 June)
Brisbane - Adelaide (up to 5 flights per day by 20 June)
Sydney - Gold Coast (up to 9 flights per day by 20 June)
Melbourne - Gold Coast (up to 8 flights per day by 20 June)
Melbourne - Sydney (up to 25 flights per day by 20 June)
Melbourne - Brisbane (up to 13 flights per day by 20 June)
Brisbane - Sydney (up to 15 flights per day by 20 June)
Sunshine Coast - Melbourne (up to 3 flights per day by 20 June)
Sunshine Coast - Sydney (up to 3 flights per day by 20 June)
Brisbane - Townsville (up to 4 flights per day by 20 June)
Brisbane - Mackay (up to 4 flights per day by 20 June)

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The only potential downer are the prices some of the accommodation and rental car providers are now charging. I recently looked for a week at a 2 bedroom apartment on Cairns northern beaches or Port Douglas in September. Typical prices were north of $4000 per week. I understand that some are trying to recover last year's losses but it is not a way to build a long-term market and will drive consumers back to cheaper int'l destinations as soon as they can.

Rental cars are slightly different. Last year, lots of providers sold off their dormant fleets to make use of a booming secondhand vehicle market. Now, they are caught with insufficient capacity. Quoted price for a Camry for a week in Cairns in September was over $1000!!

Rental cars are indeed scarce. I’m going to Tasmania next week. I booked a car several months ago for $350 for 5 days, which I was happy with. Out of interest I checked a couple of days ago and the cheapest available now is $1800 for 5 days!

This article says that accommodation providers in regional Tasmania are seeing cancellations are people can’t hire a car, which is basically a requirement to venture outside Hobart or Launceston: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.ne ... /100036622
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

log0008

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 am

tullamarine wrote:

Brisbane – Launceston (4 flights per week from 17 June to 25 July) – seasonal extension
Melbourne – Ballina Byron Bay (5 flights per week from 09 June to 31 October) – seasonal extension

Thats so hefty increases, expecially on MEL-PER (6 daily up from 2-3 currently) but no suprise with tickets still going for near $1000. Also Brisbane - Mackay 4 daily seems a lot too?
NZ Market limited to Queenstown?

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:03 am

log0008 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Thats so hefty increases, expecially on MEL-PER (6 daily up from 2-3 currently) but no suprise with tickets still going for near $1000. Also Brisbane - Mackay 4 daily seems a lot too?
NZ Market limited to Queenstown?

They’d already said ZQN was first in September, with no other destinations until the end of October. As already pointed out up-thread, late September is a really strange time to launch ZQN as it is the very end of the ski season.

Mackay appears to be doing well. QF have 737s on BNE-MKY, which has otherwise been Q400 only (with occasional 717s) for as long as I can remember.

freshwater

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:15 am

Kent350787 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

SYD-CBR is on the list as well, but E90 may even be too much outside peak. Then again, it's a "modern" jet, but smaller than a 737 so could fit well in the minds of customers who've always preferrd jets over props on that route when given a choice.

Would the economics of the E90 be substantially different than VA's previous attempt with their own metal? I understand Alliance would have a much lower cost base than VA circa 2017, as well as their relative bargain on aquisition of the E90 but what exactly is the nature of the Alliance contract with VA? And what does CBR demand look like now? QF seem to be targeting outbound CBR leisure travel. I found the previously mentioned QF CBR-BNK service very interesting, assuming it's only for school holidays?

tullamarine

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

Mackay appears to be doing well. QF have 737s on BNE-MKY, which has otherwise been Q400 only (with occasional 717s) for as long as I can remember.

MKY is a funny market. It has a certain baseload in FIFO as the main jumping off point for a number of coal mines so has consistently been serviced by both VA and QF though sometimes with smaller jets such as 717s and E90s. I worked up there about 9 years ago during the mining boom and Mackay was really buzzing with booming real estate values and new apartments everywhere; that all came to a crushing halt in 2013 with lots of money lost and some buildings just left partly completed. Years ago, it used to have a decent tourist market for the southern Whitsundays including islands such as Lindeman and Brampton but both of these are now closed and the tourist offering around the Mackay coast is pretty ordinary despite it being just as potentially attractive as places like Airlie Beach.

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 am

freshwater wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Would the economics of the E90 be substantially different than VA's previous attempt with their own metal? I understand Alliance would have a much lower cost base than VA circa 2017, as well as their relative bargain on aquisition of the E90 but what exactly is the nature of the Alliance contract with VA? And what does CBR demand look like now? QF seem to be targeting outbound CBR leisure travel. I found the previously mentioned QF CBR-BNK service very interesting, assuming it's only for school holidays?

QF are indeed going to the outbound Canberra leisure market in a largish way, with CBR-OOL/MCY/CNS/BNK/HBA. I don’t know how long BNK and HBA are scheduled for, but the Queensland markets appear to be sticking around all winter.

CBR-SYD is still way down with only about 7 flights per day, although that the actual number changes by the day of the week.

Parliamentary sittings and Senate committees in-person has obviously helped CBR traffic recover somewhat, but the APS (with tens of thousands of staff accounts for a lot more traffic than Parliament) is still almost entirely remote meetings, with only ‘operational’ travel permitted for the most part.

qf2220

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:35 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Rental cars are indeed scarce. I’m going to Tasmania next week. I booked a car several months ago for $350 for 5 days, which I was happy with. Out of interest I checked a couple of days ago and the cheapest available now is $1800 for 5 days!

This article says that accommodation providers in regional Tasmania are seeing cancellations are people can’t hire a car, which is basically a requirement to venture outside Hobart or Launceston: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.ne ... /100036622

Spirit of Tasmania looks very attractive at that sort of rate. 500 each way for 2ppl and a car. But even so, its looking pretty booked out too at the moment.

Deano969

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:22 am

Pentaprism wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
Pentaprism wrote:

So Deano969, you are saying they are down 20 737's and 6 A330's which sounds about right. And I think we can all agree the ATR's are gone.

OTOH Log0008 is saying their Domestic Capacity is higher than pre-covid! I don't have the numbers but the assertion they are down 20 737's and 6 A330's seems much more plausible to me than the idea they have increased capacity relative to pre-covid.

Yes
So factor in that
330s were already primarily international at the time
So too were quite a few 737s
ATRs don't carry a lot of pax and they were on their way out
So yes, a lot of the fleet lost were either international or gone anyway
As they said DOMESTIC CAPACITY is up
They never said passenger numbers were...

zkncj

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 am

freshwater wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Could the E190s venture outside of Australia without going to the ACCC? maybe could be apart of VA October Tasman re-launch?

RyanairGuru

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am

Deano969 wrote:
Pentaprism wrote:
Deano969 wrote:

Yes
So factor in that

The A330s were not primarily international. BNE-HND was to use 1 frame, the other 5 were for Perth and SYD-MEL.

Similarly, the ATR-72s were not on their way out. The 500s had been retired, but there was no plan to retire the 600s pre-Covid/bankruptcy.

Even factoring the international 737s, I find it very hard to believe that domestic capacity has reached the equivalent month in 2019 or January - March 2020.

a320fan

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Even factoring the international 737s, I find it very hard to believe that domestic capacity has reached the equivalent month in 2019 or January - March 2020.

Be interesting, I finally travelled for the first time post Covid this week, between MEL and SYD on VA. Both the flight up last week and the return yesterday were close to if not 100% full. (didn't scan the whole cabin, but on both flights I could not find an empty seat from where I was sitting) and the security line at MEL T3 was among the busiest I've ever seen it.

No doubt domestic travel is going strong which is a good thing for the airlines. I didn't see mentioned in here that along with up to 5 787's to operate domestic JQ is reportedly bringing in 6 A320's from Jetstar Japan.

I wonder if anyone has pre covid stats on this, I'd love to compare. But an idea from the Americans, who seem to routinely record station sizes by number of departures on this website, I've gathered todays data from MEL among the 4 domestic jet airlines and listed the number of departures (time consuming with all the codeshares between QF and JQ) This is jet departures only, so no Rex Saabs or Qlink dash's.

VA: 47 ex MEL

JQ: 61 ex MEL

ZL: 11 ex MEL

QF: 71 ex MEL

qf2048

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 am

qf789 wrote:

I flew out of SYD today and there was two JQ 788's parked on the remote international stands next to Emirates, United etc.

moa999

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am

While capacity might be there, from a few posts I've seen the new entrant in particular is having some shocking loads

EK413

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am

qf2048 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I flew out of SYD today and there was two JQ 788's parked on the remote international stands next to Emirates, United etc.

VKI & VKH. Believe VKH will perform an assessment flight tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zkncj

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 am

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-frequent-flyers-can-now-access-some-air-new-zealand-lounges

QF has come to agreement with NZ to use there AKL,WLG,CHC,ZQN lounges from Monday until Qantas is able to bring its AKL/WLG lounges back online.

Hopefully Qantas uses this as chance to refurb the AKL Business Lounge, so its no longer an walk back to the 90s.....

The NZ Lounge in AKL is defiantly an upgrade over the QF Lounge.

mrkerr7474

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:15 am

zkncj wrote:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-frequent-flyers-can-now-access-some-air-new-zealand-lounges

QF has come to agreement with NZ to use there AKL,WLG,CHC,ZQN lounges from Monday until Qantas is able to bring its AKL/WLG lounges back online.

Hopefully Qantas uses this as chance to refurb the AKL Business Lounge, so its no longer an walk back to the 90s.....

The NZ Lounge in AKL is defiantly an upgrade over the QF Lounge.

I'd be very surprised if QF would redurb the lounge in AKL (even though it's needed as you say) before they upgrade the lounge in SYD and MEL. With the ability to use the Air NZ AKL lounge, that's definitely a bonus and upgrade as mentioned by yourself. I think WLG lounges are a bit on par with one another

zkncj

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
]
I'd be very surprised if QF would redurb the lounge in AKL (even though it's needed as you say) before they upgrade the lounge in SYD and MEL. With the ability to use the Air NZ AKL lounge, that's definitely a bonus and upgrade as mentioned by yourself. I think WLG lounges are a bit on par with one another

The AKL Qantas Lounge refurb has been meant to be happening to the last 5 years, just has never happen. Probably the lack of options for an temporary lounge hasn’t helped.

Both the NZ/QF lounges in WLG Intl are old and need an refresh. WLG would probably best if NZ/QF went into an shared lounge arrangement longer term.

Deano969

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
Pentaprism wrote:

Yes
So factor in that

The A330s were not primarily international. BNE-HND was to use 1 frame, the other 5 were for Perth and SYD-MEL.

Similarly, the ATR-72s were not on their way out. The 500s had been retired, but there was no plan to retire the 600s pre-Covid/bankruptcy.

A330s were also doing Hong Kong and weekends to Fiji

jrfspa320

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:59 am

Deano969 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Deano969 wrote:

Yes
So factor in that

HK had been cut to a single daily from SYD (1 frame) and Fiji was weekend peak season (when trans con is quiet) So 5 frames were still used for PER - SYD/MEL

ben175

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 am

Haven’t seen this posted yet - but I’m currently onboard QF886 PER-ADL... and received a hot meal in Y! Hurray!

Assuming this is just for transcons and all GT flights are still just a snack?

jrfspa320

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am

ben175 wrote:
Haven’t seen this posted yet - but I’m currently onboard QF886 PER-ADL... and received a hot meal in Y! Hurray!

Anything over 3.5 hours. I wish they would bring back the IFE!

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

HK had been cut to a single daily from SYD (1 frame) and Fiji was weekend peak season (when trans con is quiet) So 5 frames were still used for PER - SYD/MEL

And HKG was being cut completely. I said BNE-HND as that was directly replacing SYD-HKG, but either way it was only taking 1 frame for long haul.

ben175

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
ben175 wrote:

PER-ADL is only 2 hr 40 but I guess as the return is over 3.5 hours they must do it for consistency then.

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:40 am

ben175 wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
ben175 wrote:

PER-ADL is only 2 hr 40 but I guess as the return is over 3.5 hours they must do it for consistency then.

Not even, ADL-PER is only blocked at 3h20.

mrkerr7474

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am

zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
]

The AKL Qantas Lounge refurb has been meant to be happening to the last 5 years, just has never happen. Probably the lack of options for an temporary lounge hasn’t helped.

Both the NZ/QF lounges in WLG Intl are old and need an refresh. WLG would probably best if NZ/QF went into an shared lounge arrangement longer term.

I feel like they have meant to dk quite a few lounges over the years but never gotten around to it. Agreed probably not but they potentially could maybe strike a deal with NZ for a temporary home.

That sounds like that would be a great arrangement for WLG. Assuming it would be an NZ operated and owned lounge, of which they'd be happy to get some revenue from QF. Potentially nothing will happen though until they finish their masterplan and move the international terminal and that would open alot more space for new lounges etc

ben175

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 am

There’s a Volga Dnepr AN-124 parked at the MEL international terminal attached to the aerobridge and all. Anyone know what it’s doing there?

soyuz

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:28 am

ben175 wrote:
There’s a Volga Dnepr AN-124 parked at the MEL international terminal attached to the aerobridge and all. Anyone know what it’s doing there?

It seems to be the process now that when an AN-124 comes MEL, it first parks at the passenger terminal and the crew are processed as if they are coming off a commercial passenger flight. This is what happened when three of Antonov Airlines’ 124s came to pick up mining equipment recently and is documented quite humorously (in Russian) by captain Dmytro Antonov on his Youtube channel. Some time after the crew disembark, the aircraft is towed to a remote stand where it is loaded.

qf2048

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 pm

I'm booked on JQ from CNS-SYD in August. Got email yesterday. Flight has been changed to B788.

tullamarine

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:47 am

qf2048 wrote:
I'm booked on JQ from CNS-SYD in August. Got email yesterday. Flight has been changed to B788.

Does anybody know what JQ are doing with the J cabin on these flights? I notice that they are not advertising a J class product or price which probably makes sense in case an equipment change is necessary.

Are they allocating these seats to those who have purchased a Max fare? This would be a very good deal given the product is equivalent to what you'd expect in J on a 737 and the price is pretty much what QF are charging for Y. I have flown in J on 788s from Asia a couple of times and it is the equivalent of what you receive in Premium Economy on QF.

a320fan

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:03 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

Does anybody know what JQ are doing with the J cabin on these flights? I notice that they are not advertising a J class product or price which probably makes sense in case an equipment change is necessary.

Are they allocating these seats to those who have purchased a Max fare? This would be a very good deal given the product is equivalent to what you'd expect in J on a 737 and the price is pretty much what QF are charging for Y. I have flown in J on 788s from Asia a couple of times and it is the equivalent of what you receive in Premium Economy on QF.

When they were doing the 787 domestic proving flights in 2013 the J cabin was sold as extra legroom seats just as the first row or emergency exit rows are on the A320 fleet. I flew OOL-MEL in 1A on a 788 for ~$55 more than the standard fare. Service wise it’s standard JQ Y service, but you can score a really comfy ride for not much more money.

eamondzhang

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:59 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

Just checked a random MEL-CNS 788 flight in July and they sold J class as extra legroom seats for $25 each

Cheers,
Michael

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos