Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - Q2 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm

pune wrote:
I don't really care whether it was you or I, it's irrelevant. What is only relevant that PNQ does not have what is needed for its people and population. Also people don't seem to care. If they cared enough, they would pressure the Government, no matter who is in chair. But we haven't seen that. And this is same everywhere. I haven't seen Mumbai citizens agitating that no work is being one on the second airport. It is only when people ask questions and agitate that Governments are forced to come out with answers. Or if they have their own greed. After the two red herrings for new Airport, Puneties more or less have resigned themselves to fate.

In India, Pune has the most need for a new airport, in my opinion. I hope something happens for Pune. I wouldn't bother with any new airport with less growth potential for Pune than 3 runways.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

CPS001

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 pm

lightsaber wrote:
pune wrote:
I don't really care whether it was you or I, it's irrelevant. What is only relevant that PNQ does not have what is needed for its people and population. Also people don't seem to care. If they cared enough, they would pressure the Government, no matter who is in chair. But we haven't seen that. And this is same everywhere. I haven't seen Mumbai citizens agitating that no work is being one on the second airport. It is only when people ask questions and agitate that Governments are forced to come out with answers. Or if they have their own greed. After the two red herrings for new Airport, Puneties more or less have resigned themselves to fate.

In India, Pune has the most need for a new airport, in my opinion. I hope something happens for Pune. I wouldn't bother with any new airport with less growth potential for Pune than 3 runways.

Lightsaber

3 runways is a bit too much of an ask considering land acquisition problems in India and the fact that BOM could hit 1000 daily movements (pre-Covid) on a single runway. 2 would do for probably the next 2-3 decades (BLR recently opened their 2nd runway and HYD has a 2nd runway in its long term master plan). For many airports where extra runways can't be added (again due to land) like MAA, CCU and AMD, new airports are the way to go.

lightsaber

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:48 pm

CPS001 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
pune wrote:

Lightsaber

3 runways is a bit too much of an ask considering land acquisition problems in India and the fact that BOM could hit 1000 daily movements (pre-Covid) on a single runway. 2 would do for probably the next 2-3 decades (BLR recently opened their 2nd runway and HYD has a 2nd runway in its long term master plan). For many airports where extra runways can't be added (again due to land) like MAA, CCU and AMD, new airports are the way to go.

I am not a fan of split airports. Inefficiencies (doubling of people) and missed cargo and people connections. It might not be possible to do 3-runways, I wouldn't try for anything less. Just my opinion.

Late edit: If new airports are to be built, convert the old airports to other land use.

Lightsaber

pune

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 pm

The idea when it was mooted, was that the old airport would be converted for cargo. But now that Adani has got it, he would like to milk it for what it's worth. After much hue and cry, they first tried to blame the ground handling agency.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 84441.html

When that strategy failed, they rolled it back -

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 206550.cms

avier

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:12 am

pune wrote:
The idea when it was mooted, was that the old airport would be converted for cargo. But now that Adani has got it, he would like to milk it for what it's worth. After much hue and cry, they first tried to blame the ground handling agency.

Never knew Adani had got PNQ airport (??).
And Lucknow isn't getting a second airport . So which airport are you precisely discussing about here?

pune

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:56 am

I meant the Mumbai airport which Adani got and the second airport which mumbai is supposed to get but which is sort of stalled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navi_Mumb ... al_Airport

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumbai/ ... r-db-patil

The existing Mumbai airport is now Adani's

https://www.mumbailive.com/en/business/ ... mial-54768

Hopefully, now it is clear to you. Have a good day :)

fortunerunnner

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 am

I'm with all of you, PNQ is a sad tragedy and being my hometown I rue to chance to fly there instead of BOM. Pre-Covid when airport was operating 24x7 barring few blocked hours for air force sorties; there was so much growth and traffic potential. If only the airport was capable, we would not have lost LH flight to FRA and not to mention short lived SIN flight. Wish the airport returns to its glory days which surely it should after Covid situation resolves itself and air force doesn't mess with civilian traffic patterns. Of course, we will never get widebody at existing airport since there is no way to handle them there unless air force again gets out of way of progress.

SATexan

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:35 am

Can anybody tell me the latest on UA's SFO-BLR flight? When is the start date?

VTORD

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 pm

SATexan wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-05-07/

I wasn't aware ORD - DEL was being scaled back.

hohd

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:16 pm

CPS001 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
pune wrote:

Lightsaber

HYD has 2 runways now. All PNQ needs is a new airport, the air force can revert to using the old airport for defense and VIP movements, similar to BLR and HYD. But face it, due to the proximity of Pune city to Mumbai airports, PNQ will not get the full international traffic for a city that size even with the new airport.

sand26391

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:41 pm

SATexan wrote:

8th or 9th September from SFO.

trinidadeG

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:20 pm

pune wrote:
The idea when it was mooted, was that the old airport would be converted for cargo. But now that Adani has got it, he would like to milk it for what it's worth.

Nope. In the entire two decades that the second airport has been on the drawing board, not once had anyone floated the idea that BOM would be "converted for cargo".
The plan has always been to have both airports operate together.

Infact, there was some talk of a dedicated metro rail line linking the two airports.
Dedicated Metro between Mumbai airports to run at thrice the normal speed - Indian Express

pune

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:03 am

trinidadeG wrote:
pune wrote:
The idea when it was mooted, was that the old airport would be converted for cargo. But now that Adani has got it, he would like to milk it for what it's worth.

Nope. In the entire two decades that the second airport has been on the drawing board, not once had anyone floated the idea that BOM would be "converted for cargo".
The plan has always been to have both airports operate together.

Infact, there was some talk of a dedicated metro rail line linking the two airports.
Dedicated Metro between Mumbai airports to run at thrice the normal speed - Indian Express

From what I last saw GMR is just gonna sleep on the job. They have no incentive to build the airport. They build it and again the airport will be given to Adani.

Btw, did I share this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BgJTE5z09k

This is about the Lucknow Airport raised prices and views on it.

avier

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:54 am

pune wrote:
From what I last saw GMR is just gonna sleep on the job. They have no incentive to build the airport. They build it and again the airport will be given to Adani.

GMR runs DEL & HYD airports.
GVK had BOM & NMIA and also BLR airport till few years back.

pune

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 am

avier wrote:
pune wrote:

That my friend was then, now it's a different thing altogether. When it's known that some people had inside information and then offers sweetened for them specifically after they won the tender, don't tell me that all are and will be treated equally.

hohd

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 pm

For economies of scale it is better if Adani builds the new airport near Mumbai. They have the financial capability to build it and can hire competent companies to build and operate. However due to the pandemic it will be many years before the second airport comes to fruition.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:10 pm

IndiGo plans seven-hour overseas flights, depending on Covid recovery

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 429438.cms?

FAIR USE:

Want to holiday in Beijing, Moscow, Cairo, Nairobi, Jakarta, Manila… or perhaps eastern Europe grabs your fancy? IndiGo plans to launch overseas flights of up to seven hours duration from Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru and Kolkata, some of them with its longer-range Airbus A321s. All this depends on countries lifting Covid-related restrictions and regular international flights resuming.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 pm

pune wrote:
avier wrote:
pune wrote:

That my friend was then, now it's a different thing altogether. When it's known that some people had inside information and then offers sweetened for them specifically after they won the tender, don't tell me that all are and will be treated equally.

Adani tweaks his airport playbook, sets in motion next big plan

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 391125.cms?

avier

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:24 am

GoAir's (now GoFirst) IPO has been stalled temporarily, due to alleged irregularities in another subsidiary company of their parent co.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 97571.html

Seems like they won't be able to reach out for their oxygen mask, or rather are being prevented from.

hohd

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/air-fra ... o-chennai/

Air France has started a once weekly flight CDG-MAA. It could become 3 times a week eventually, when all the pandemic related restrictions are removed and traffic comes back to 2019 levels.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:19 pm

hohd wrote:
CPS001 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

HYD has 2 runways now. All PNQ needs is a new airport, the air force can revert to using the old airport for defense and VIP movements, similar to BLR and HYD. But face it, due to the proximity of Pune city to Mumbai airports, PNQ will not get the full international traffic for a city that size even with the new airport.

First, yes, the old airport should revert to military and possibly VIP (I prefer VIP be moved).

I think Pune will eventually support 3 runways and support international traffic. I'm talking long term planning.

HYD will eventually need much more capacity, IMHO.

India has huge growth potential. They either plan for it or it will be chaos.

Lightsaber.

SQ22

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Please continue your discussion and to add your news and updates here:

Indian Aviation Thread - Q3 2021

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos