Topic Author

Plane used for gender reveal party crashes in Cancun

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 am

Plane used for gender reveal party crashes in Cancun-
https://nypost.com/2021/03/31/two-kille ... er-reveal/

Newark727

Re: Plane used for gender reveal party crashes in Cancun

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:50 am

Between the plane crashes, forest fires, and accidental home-made pipe bombs, these gender reveal parties are a friggin' public menace. How much pomp and circumstance do you really need for this?

DKNEF

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:54 am

I get a gender reveal party but why would anyone go that far to just reveal a gender.. Lol people these days...

cynlb
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:54 am

Newark727 wrote:
Between the plane crashes, forest fires, and accidental home-made pipe bombs, these gender reveal parties are a friggin' public menace. How much pomp and circumstance do you really need for this?

My thought exactly! Just have a simple baby shower and leave it at that (or use the money towards your kids college fund instead).

Antarius

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:58 am

DKNEF wrote:
I get a gender reveal party but why would anyone go that far to just reveal a gender.. Lol people these days...

Look at me! I'm special!
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

N292UX

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:18 am

Half expected this to be a dark April Fool's joke but seriously people? Do you really have to use aircraft to do a gender reveal? Come on people.

ramprat320

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:41 am

One of the few surprises in life....Girl or Boy. Some people just need to know I guess....and have another excuse to party

DTWorld

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:16 am

Newark727 wrote:

I guess it goes to show that the gene pool is in a continuum. One gets removed from it while another is added.

What's so wrong with simply putting food coloring in a cake? Thankfully my sister and her husband did that last year before my niece was born.

dtw2hyd

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 am

Being gender neutral until birth is safe and eco-friendly.
All posts are just opinions.

JetAwayDrew

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am

Nobody’s even talking about what matters ... the crash. :lol:
So what do you guys think happened?

TTailedTiger

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:10 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Being gender neutral until birth is safe and eco-friendly.

I agree. I've never understood wanting to find out the gender. Are you going to love it any less if it isn't what you were hoping for? I can't stand people who have to have instant gratification. You've got nothing left to be excited for when you find out the gender. Just a waiting game at that point.

F9Animal

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 am

JetAwayDrew wrote:

CFIT? Stall?
I Am A Different Animal!!

Luke1994

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 am

F9Animal wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:

CFIT? Stall?

The video unfortunately isn’t that great but I’m leaning towards an uncoordinated accelerated stall, which caused the aircraft to enter a spin.
CFI

seahawks7757

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 am

Wait, this isn't an April fools joke, what a crappy day to have this happen
Follow on Twitter as @BDFphotography - https://twitter.com/BDFphotography
Brandon Farris Photography on Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/

CRJ200flyer

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:44 am

Yes everyone is distracted by the gender reveal part when, from what I can tell in the articles, it had nothing to do with what happened next. My question is why was the aircraft flown so aggressively? The video clip looks like an accelerated stall/spin to me. And with so little altitude fo recover, into the ocean it went.

Chasensfo

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 am

I don't get this stuff...I also don't get how you wrap a Cessna into a spin like that in nice VFR conditions. I haven't flown the 206, but I can't imagine it's easy to accidently end up like that. Zero attention to speed and energy?

csturdiv

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 am

Newark727 wrote:

It's all about social media attention. So as long as people keep getting it, stuff like what you mentioned will continue to happen time to time.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

sevenair

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:07 am

I just don't get it. On one hand we're told that 'gender is over' and 'gender is a social construct' yet people are finding ever more elaborate ways of revealing gender and killing themselves kn the process.

VSMUT

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:13 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Yes everyone is distracted by the gender reveal part when, from what I can tell in the articles, it had nothing to do with what happened next. My question is why was the aircraft flown so aggressively? The video clip looks like an accelerated stall/spin to me. And with so little altitude fo recover, into the ocean it went.

The article suggests they were going to stream a banner. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told that towing a banner already puts you pretty close to the stall speed (high drag, low speed limit on the brittle banner). Banners are usually picked up from the ground, which wasn't the case here. Makes you wonder if they were perhaps fumbling around with an open side-door too. So if you couple that with a pilot isn't as restrained as he should...

Aesma

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 am

Gender reveals aren't yet a thing here. If we hear more about them through the accidents caused, it might never become one. Baby showers have been adopted though, they weren't a thing before either.

If the plan was to deploy a banner in flight, that seems like a bad idea, even a dangerous one. No banner in sight so it doesn't seem to be the direct cause.

Using colored smoke would have been better.

A friend of my father was a stunt pilot in his youth to make ends meet, and also had to tow banners. He explained the process of catching the banner with a hook, and the one time he crashed doing this because there was too much wind and things went wrong, still had back ache from it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VSMUT

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:53 am

Aesma wrote:
If the plan was to deploy a banner in flight, that seems like a bad idea, even a dangerous one. No banner in sight so it doesn't seem to be the direct cause.

Using colored smoke would have been better.

The article says "streaming a sign". Do you think smoke would be any safer though? I for one can't think of something much worse than popping a smoke grenade/canister inside a closed cabin. You pretty much have to be dangling out the door or window to make that work.

Maybe the pilot or passenger was simply holding a (much too small) sign/board out of the window, and in an attempt at making it visible to the party, the pilot flew low in a steep bank. Nice way to bleed off speed.

Heinkel

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 am

The New Yoork Post article says, that the aircarft

"...flew overhead and perfomed a series of stunts".

It looks like the last one of these stunts went wrong.

iamlucky13

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 pm

It's very bizarre to me that on an aviation enthusiast forum, members seem critical of a family hiring an aircraft or inviting an acquaintance who owned one to help celebrate a milestone in a major life event.

As to the crash, during the limited period of time the person filming actually managed to get the aircraft in the frame, it appeared to be doing a fairly steeply banked turn, resulting in a high angle of attack. At 0:17 in the video linked to in the first post, the plane's movement through the frame appears to be out of line with its pitch angle to a degree I'm not used to seeing.

My initial impression is they stalled in middle of this turn. By 0:21, after a couple seconds being out of frame, the aircraft appears to have lost a significant amount of forward velocity. They may have stalled and not recognized the need to get the nose down, resulting in the stall worsening and becoming asymmetric, at which point they were almost certainly too low to recover.

WIederling

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
One of the few surprises in life....Girl or Boy. Some people just need to know I guess....and have another excuse to party

gender reveal party

Isn't that just another vector to do some p*ing contest within the neighborhood/peergroup?
Murphy is an optimist

FlyingElvii

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 pm

cynlb wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

My thought exactly! Just have a simple baby shower and leave it at that (or use the money towards your kids college fund instead).

But... But... You can't impress people you don't actually know on Instagram and Facetwit with just a regular baby shower. They have to be more grand than the last one posted. Duh!

FGITD

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Interesting that this forum cries foul of gender reveal parties, but then is aghast when an airline retires an aircraft type and doesn’t have a massive nostalgia ridden 3 week send off celebration.

Speed. Altitude. Time.

Need at least 2 of them. Somehow this pilot lee seemingly all 3 slip

tootallsd

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:59 pm

In September 2020, a gender reveal party ignited a forest fire near where I live. It ultimately consumed more than 22,000 acres. A total of 1,351 crew were required to control and extinguish the fire. Numerous fire-fighting aircraft were used including a DC 10.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/07/us/calif ... index.html

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7148/

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:05 pm

I read stuff like this.... and I just hate everybody.... somedays I'm 5 degrees away from fleeing to the mountains to live with woodland creatures... a gender reveal party.... and is this the part where the parents get to inform everybody that the child is non-binary because well if you are going to this expense you can't just leave it up to biology to determine it.... good grief...
gender reveal party = yet another obligatory social norm....
excessive gender reveal party = maybe not fit to reproduce after all....

Really sorry for the unnecessary loss of life...

I probably shouldn't force my opinion on others. People are free to make their own decisions. I just long for a more sensible time....
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

ER757

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:23 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
It's very bizarre to me that on an aviation enthusiast forum, members seem critical of a family hiring an aircraft or inviting an acquaintance who owned one to help celebrate a milestone in a major life event.

As to the crash, during the limited period of time the person filming actually managed to get the aircraft in the frame, it appeared to be doing a fairly steeply banked turn, resulting in a high angle of attack. At 0:17 in the video linked to in the first post, the plane's movement through the frame appears to be out of line with its pitch angle to a degree I'm not used to seeing.

My initial impression is they stalled in middle of this turn. By 0:21, after a couple seconds being out of frame, the aircraft appears to have lost a significant amount of forward velocity. They may have stalled and not recognized the need to get the nose down, resulting in the stall worsening and becoming asymmetric, at which point they were almost certainly too low to recover.

Why not just email your friends/relatives with the news if you care to share? This reveal party stuff is a new phenomenon that goes along with all the other "look at me" outlets like You Tube, Twitter etc. Yeah, I am an old curmudgeon and know it's a generational thing. End of rant :old:

af773atmsp

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:44 pm

ER757 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

Why not just email your friends/relatives with the news if you care to share? This reveal party stuff is a new phenomenon that goes along with all the other "look at me" outlets like You Tube, Twitter etc. Yeah, I am an old curmudgeon and know it's a generational thing. End of rant :old:

I'm a millennial and use social media frequently, and even I think stuff like gender reveal parties are stupid. Sure hope the parents who spend a ton of money on a gender reveal party are accepting of their son or daughter if they come out as gender neutral or trans.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

DocLightning

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 pm

I find gender reveal parties to be just as tacky as anyone else, but this was caused by poor airmanship, not a gender reveal party.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

iamlucky13

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:55 pm

ER757 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

It's not a generational thing, and the excitement of finding out if an expected child is a boy or girl is not even remotely a new phenomenon, although obviously dedicated events separate from the birth weren't possible until ultrasounds.

The only new part is the label "gender reveal party." I came from a large family, and our extended family was also fairly large and close, so new family members were a regular topic, and I've seen a wide variety of ways to share the news over the decades, but I never heard the term "gender reveal party" until a year or two ago.

A better question though: Why not? What's wrong with people doing something out of the ordinary to celebrate something outside of their ordinary routine? Granted, I think a lot of the things people choose for these events are cheesy, contrived, and even stupid, including having airplanes spray pink smoke. And often people expect a lot more people to care than actually do. So what? The internet tubes aren't overfilled yet, and in the meantime, a lot of people post things like this to Facebook or Twitter or Youtube simply because those are easy ways to share them with friends and family, not because they're self-centered and think the whole internet should watch it.

I would call myself a curmudgeon, too, and I could make a HUGE list of all the things other people do that I think are stupid. That does not inherently make those activities bad. It just means people are different.

Final point: if somebody has one of these parties and a plane crashes, the problem is not that there was a gender reveal party. The problem was something went wrong with the operation of the aircraft. Obviously it's an exception if the people who requested the flyby pressured them to do something dangerous, but even that is specific to the individuals involved, not general.

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I find gender reveal parties to be just as tacky as anyone else, but this was caused by poor airmanship, not a gender reveal party.

Doc, don't let the facts of a matter of a thing get in the way of our righteous indignation. :cry2:

Will be interesting to see exactly what the pilot did wrong... what was it that pushed him to the point of the stall, which was unrecoverable at that altitude...
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

THS214

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:00 am

iamlucky13 wrote:

Many here has never had a party or attended one. At least it looks like that. What does it matter what a party is called? Two people are dead and many here celebrate simply because they don't like the reason for a party.

filipinoavgeek

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:27 am

Where I live I'm not really sure if gender reveal parties are a common thing: I know that baby showers are and I think in some cases the gender reveal takes place there, but I've only ever heard of a few cases of parties just for the reveal and even then it seems to have been inspired by the American practice. As far as I can tell gender reveals here are more commonly done in more subtle ways like social media posts and messages, or traditional stuff like informing family members.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

LCDFlight

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:38 am

I thought it said “gender reversal party.”

johns624

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:18 am

ER757 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

To which I'll add--it's people without a life trying to pretend they have one.

ikramerica

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:01 am

DKNEF wrote:

I don’t “get a gender reveal party.” We had 3 miscarriages, 1 normal and 1 very complicated pregnancy and the idea that you throw a huge party so early in a pregnancy before you know how things will turn out seems like setting yourself up for greater heartbreak.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

iamlucky13

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:46 am

ikramerica wrote:
DKNEF wrote:

I don’t “get a gender reveal party.” We had 3 miscarriages, 1 normal and 1 very complicated pregnancy and the idea that you throw a huge party so early in a pregnancy before you know how things will turn out seems like setting yourself up for greater heartbreak.

That is a very interesting point, and I am sorry to hear about the losses that make this discussion poignant.

I hope it is not too forward of me to pose the thought, is the heartbreak lessened by a more reserved approach? I tend to expect that it is more a matter that some people are by nature more reserved and prefer to keep the anticipation private, while others are more outgoing and want to share their anticipation with others, but both will feel deep heartbreak if the pregnancy does not turn out as hoped. Perhaps a given couple will experience more or less keen emotions in face of a loss depending on whether their approach to the anticipation that a pregnancy brings was consistent with their personality or not, rather than there being a universally best way to cope with hope and loss like this.

reltney

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:54 pm

I do gender reveal flyovers and spread ashes all the time. It is perfectly safe. We have a special tube to distribute the blue or pink powder. One time I just did white flower on the first pass as a joke to a couple I knew really well, it was very funny!. Best one to date was twins so I rigged two tubes on either side of the plane. Same procedure for the ashes , you must use a tube.
Aircraft I have used are J-3, T-6, B-17, T-28, C172, Aeronca Chief. Safe, easy, fun!
One simple rule....maintain aircraft control....it’s that easy....
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

lightsaber

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:06 am

Please read the forum rules on cussing.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos